Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Scorpion (the girl one)

Post by Jabroniville »

THE SCORPION II (Thanasee Rappaccini, aka Carmilla Black)
Created By:
Fred Van Lente & Leonard Kirk
First Appearance: Amazing Fantasy #7 (June 2005)
Role: Distaff Counterpart (to The Scorpion), Random-Alignment Character
Group Affiliations: HYDRA, S.H.I.E.L.D., The Initiative
PL 9 (145)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+9)
Athletics 4 (+8)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+11)
Deception 7 (+8)
Expertise (Spy) 5 (+6)
Insight 3 (+4)
Investigation 4 (+5)
Perception 3 (+4)
Stealth 2 (+7)
Technology 4 (+5)

Advantages:
Agile Feint, Defensive Attack, Equipment 2 (S.H.I.E.L.D. Tech- GPS, Camera, CommLink), Ranged Attack 2

Powers:
"Hyper-Lymphatic System" Immunity 3 (Poison, Disease, Radiation) [3]
"Stinger" Weaken Stamina 8 (Extras: Progressive +2) (Inaccurate -1) (23) -- [24]
  • AE: "Varied-Effect Poisons" Affliction 8 (Fort; Fatigued/Exhausted/Incapacitated) (Extras: Progressive +2) (Inaccurate -1) (23)
"Scorpion Bodysuit" (Flaws: Removable) [38]
Protection 3 (Extras: Impervious 5) (8)
"SPIN Tech Tail" Affliction 10 (Fort; Impaired/Disabled/Transformed to Powerless) (Feats: Reach) (Extras: Continuous +3) (Inaccurate -1, Fades After 1/2 Hour -2) (38) -- (39)
  • AE: "Claws" Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Split) (2)
-- (47 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Claws +10 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Stinger +8 (+8 Affliction or Weaken, DC 18)
SPIN Tech +8 (+10 Affliction, DC 20)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +4 (+7 Bodysuit, +3 Impervious), Fortitude +6, Will +4

Complications:
Responsibility (Multiple Bosses)- Carmilla has worked for various employers, on both sides of the law.

Total: Abilities: 46 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 65 / Defenses: 10 (145)

-ooohhhhh, THIS is why I thought Scorpia had debuted years later! THIS is the new HYDRA lady who was hanging out with Hardball in The Initiative, and had poison and stuff! Carmilla Black was adopted by A.I.M. Agents as a baby, and grew up to have super-powers, and got mixed up in a big war between S.H.I.E.L.D. & A.I.M., finally joining the former as a super-powered agent. Disgusted with how her bosses treated The Hulk (during World War Hulk), she turned on them and joined the pro-Hulk Renegades. Then all of a sudden she was dating Hardball and the co-leader of *HYDRA* of all people (though it was implied she was a mole put there by Nick Fury), then started working as a super-mercenary/sorta-villainess, because... I dunno. It seems like there's about 20 different people working on the character, and every one of them has a different idea about what kind of character she is. Which is a BAD, BAD SIGN for somebody so new- especially now that Gargan is back to being The Scorpion. All of this basically means that Carmilla is a character that stumbled right ouf of the gate and never mattered.

-As a Rookie Hero/Villain (I seriously can't figure out what she's really supposed to be), Carmilla should be around PL 8, but is wearing a pretty good suit of armour and focuses on agility, so she fits PL 8.5 Defensively, and is PL 8 with her standard stuff- in one story, she gains SPIN Tech for her tail, which I've included here for the hell of it (without it, she's thirty points cheaper), making her PL 9.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
danelsan

Re: Jab's Builds! (S.H.O.C.! Sentinels! Stuntmaster! Savage Steel!)

Post by danelsan »

"who are you?"

The heck is going on there? It can't possibly be that she doesn't recognize Spider-Man. Dude has been super-heroing since highschool, has JJJ constantly bringing attention to him, has been a reserve Avenger, et cetera. Not to mention her participation in multiple groups that regularly get involved in supers' shenanigans, including the biggest intelligence agency in the Marvel universe.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

I dunno- could be anything. Time travel? Retcon (ie. they met in the past)? Mistaken identity? It could theoretically have been someone in the Spidey costume. Hard to say from one panel.
Shock

Post by Shock »

Could be a subtle ploy to get him to reveal his secret identity ;}
L-Space

Post by L-Space »

Jabroniville wrote:That's one vote! I kind of thought of doing an "Archive-Only" thread of builds, but re-posting builds is actually a heck of a lot more time-consuming than you'd think. So I think I'll leave that and only do "Build-Dumps" when necessary (like with most of the Young X-Men or Imperial Guard).

Heh- it was bound to happen (actually, I've almost done this before, but stopped once I read part of the bio and remembered it): http://roninarmy.com/threads/149-Jab-s- ... #post38276
At first I was confused what you were trying to show with that link. Not because I didn't see Savage Steel, but because my page loaded weird and was showing the post above it that had Giganta being shot in the boob :lol:.
Formerly luketheduke86
Jabroniville

Sun Girl (Golden Age)

Post by Jabroniville »

SUN GIRL I (Mary Mitchell)
Created By:
Unknown Writer & Ken Bald
First Appearance: Sun Girl #1 (Aug. 1948)
Role: Forgotten Hero, Failed Spin-Off Character
Group Affiliations: None
PL 7 (91)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 3 (+8)
Athletics 5 (+7)
Deception 3 (+5)
Expertise (Secretary) 4 (+6)
Expertise (Streetwise) 2 (+4)
Insight 3 (+5)
Investigation 4 (+5)
Perception 3 (+5)
Persuasion 2 (+4)
Stealth 1 (+6)

Advantages: 
Improved Critical (Ray Gun), Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Sunbeam Ray Gun" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [8]
Blast 6 (12 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Sunbeam Ray Gun +8 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3, Fortitude +4, Will +5

Complications:
Relationship (Jim Hammond)- Mary fell in love with the original Human Torch, but it apparently went nowhere.

Total: Abilities: 56 / Skills: 30--15 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 8 / Defenses: 7 (91)

-Sun Girl is a character I've been interested in for years, but oddly never got around to statting- I think I just kept forgetting, or assuming I'd gotten to her already. I mean, I statted her friggin' successor, and not her? Marvel: Five Fabulous Decades of the World's Greatest Comics (a huge masterwork of a history book by Les Daniels) depicted her and Namora as a pair of Failed Spin-Off Characters, variants of the Human Torch & Namor, who were at that point just fading in popularity after the end of World War II. Both books featured some "Good Girl Art", seeming to appeal more to grown men than young girls. Sun Girl was apparently the Torch's girlfriend, and was a two-fisted fighter wielding a "Sunbeam Ray Gun". She appeared in a three-issue series in 1948, then had a few guest appearances in the Big Three's books until her final appearance in 1949. Largely forgotten in modern times, she appears only in a flashback story from 1990, then briefly during part of the most recent Secret Wars story, having been de-aged during the incursion between the 616 & Ultimate Universes.

-Mary Mitchell was the secretary (of course) of Jim Hammond, the Torch- she falls in love with him and becomes his crimefighting partner after Toro leaves to take care of his ailing foster mother- she retires from heroics as soon as Toro comes back. I guess... she didn't like the life? All in all, she comes off more like one of Marvel's many, MANY failed attempts at making Solo Heroines.

-Sun Girl is a Golden Age hero with decent weapon, but lacks the proper unarmed skills & defenses to be a major hero- her run was just too short to justify more skill.
Jabroniville

Shamrock

Post by Jabroniville »

SHAMROCK (Molly Fitzgerald)
Created By:
Mark Gruenwald, Bill Mantlo, Steven Grant & John Romita Jr.
First Appearance: Contest of Champions #1 (June 1982)
Role: Ethnic Stereotype (Begorrah!)
Country of Origin: Ireland
Group Affiliations: None
PL 8 (121)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 1

Skills: 
Acrobatics 4 (+7)
Close Combat 2 (+8)
Deception 3 (+4)
Expertise (Schoolteacher) 4 (+4)
Expertise (Irish Nationalist) 7 (+7)
Expertise (Hairdresser) 8 (+8) -- Costs Half-Ranks
Insight 2 (+3)
Perception 4 (+5)
Stealth 2 (+5)

Advantages: 
Ranged Attack 8

Powers:
"Possessed By the Victims of War"
Enhanced Advantages 10: Agile Feint, Defensive Roll, Evasion 2, Improved Defense, Luck 4, Seize Initiative [10]
"Force Attacks To Miss" Enhanced Dodge 4 & Parry 4 [8]

Luck Control 2 (Negate HPs, Force Re-Rolls) [6]

"Accidents" Damage 8 Feats: Indirect 4- Any Direction) (Extras: Ranged, Penetrating) (Diminished Range -2) (26) -- [32]
  • AE: "Avoidance" Deflect 12 (12)
  • AE: "Things Falling" Move Object 5 (Flaws: Uncontrolled) (5)
  • AE: "Tripping Burst" Affliction 8 (Strength or Agility; Hindered/Prone) (Extras: Area-30ft. Burst, Selective) (Flaws: Instant Recovery, Limited Degree) (8)
  • AE: "Tripping" Affliction 8 (Strength or Agility; Hindered/Prone) (Extras: Ranged, Selective) (Flaws: Instant Recovery, Limited Degree) (8)
  • AE: "Falling Onto Soft Things" Movement 1 (Slow Fall) (2)
  • AE: "Animal Aid" Summon 7 (Extras: Active, Broad Type +2) (Flaws: Limited to Local Fauna, Limited to 20 foot Control) (21)
Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Accidents +8 Perception (+8 Perception Damage, DC 23)
Trips +8 Area (+8 Area or Ranged Affliction, DC 18)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +2, Fortitude +5, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Ireland)- Molly is a devout defender of her land, rejecting terrorism and violence.

Total: Abilities: 28 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 56 / Defenses: 13 (121)

-Just in case you thought Banshee wasn't enough of an Irish stereotype, here's SHAMROCK! Possessed by the spirits of those lost in war, she gains good luck for herself, but bad luck for those who oppose her. Wanna guess who quick it took her to say "Begorrah"? Wearing one of the worst superhero uniforms ever (a big green unitard that covered her face and hair, with some clovers on it), she popped up in Contest of Champions, and was immediately annoying by joking about, having all the other characters around face infinite pratfalls (Captain America got attacked by an anaconda, etc.), and grabbing the "Sphere of Whatever" that was the point of the contest. She pretty much vanished into Marvel Limbo at that point, showing up in minor runs of minor books, most recently coming into the modern Excalibur books as a retired hero (she lost her powers and became a HAIRDRESSER).

-Shamrock has an odd power-set, which I mostly took from Roulette of The Hellions- she can Trip people, avoid attacks at high levels (Deflect and/or Parry & Dodge), use Luck Control, Slow her falls, have "Accidents" befall others (Indirect 4- allowing damage to occur from trees falling behind characters and the like), etc. Her Damage effect is Ranged & Penetrating, but is also limited to 25 feet away- that's how far the poltergeists from her body can move. There's also the unique ability to cause animals to attack the heroes- OK, this only got used once, but what the hell, right? Might as well use it- it caused an Anaconda to attack Cap briefly, but it went away once Shamrock ran far enough away that it was outside her "realm of influence".
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:34 am, edited 3 times in total.
greycrusader

Re: Jab's Builds! (Stuntmaster! Savage Steel! Scorpions! Sun Girl!)

Post by greycrusader »

Sun Girl is one of those fringe Golden Age characters who proved writers and editors of the era really didn't care at all about maintaining any sort of continuity about the powers and skill-sets of anything but the most well-known heroes (and even then, there were early Superman issues where Kal-El could change shape and use "mesmerizing vision", among other randomness). The Wiki entry for Sun Girl describes her as a master acrobat and judo expert, in addition to sheer athleticism; one reprint panel I saw showed Sun Girl outrunning a car. Yet there was a modern day Jim Hammond/Human Torch I story where the android hero recalls her only as his slightly self-deluded ex-secretary playing at being a costumed do-gooder. And of course it was right back to being a secretary when the "distaff counterpart" push didn't catch on with readers, with Toro returning as the Torch's sidekick.

Shamrock is so minor I wonder why Marvel even thought it was necessary to establish her as de-powered, rather than just forget about the Irishwoman entirely. And while I think hairdresser is a more memorable for a civilian career for a superhero than teacher, she likely only got a new occupation because no one bothered to look up much about Shamrock before writing the Excalibur story.

All my best.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Stuntmaster! Savage Steel! Scorpions! Sun Girl!)

Post by Jabroniville »

greycrusader wrote:Sun Girl is one of those fringe Golden Age characters who proved writers and editors of the era really didn't care at all about maintaining any sort of continuity about the powers and skill-sets of anything but the most well-known heroes (and even then, there were early Superman issues where Kal-El could change shape and use "mesmerizing vision", among other randomness). The Wiki entry for Sun Girl describes her as a master acrobat and judo expert, in addition to sheer athleticism; one reprint panel I saw showed Sun Girl outrunning a car. Yet there was a modern day Jim Hammond/Human Torch I story where the android hero recalls her only as his slightly self-deluded ex-secretary playing at being a costumed do-gooder. And of course it was right back to being a secretary when the "distaff counterpart" push didn't catch on with readers, with Toro returning as the Torch's sidekick.

Shamrock is so minor I wonder why Marvel even thought it was necessary to establish her as de-powered, rather than just forget about the Irishwoman entirely. And while I think hairdresser is a more memorable for a civilian career for a superhero than teacher, she likely only got a new occupation because no one bothered to look up much about Shamrock before writing the Excalibur story.

All my best.
Man, don't even get me started on how tough it is to stat up Golden Age characters. Guys randomly showing up with new powers week-to-week, and the horrible, horrible pain of having to stat up a Golden Age Blue Beetle, who is apparently two distinct characters with nearly-identical names. Miss America (Marvel version) was the WORST- I statted up what I knew and what Wikipedia said... and then someone replied with "in the comics I'VE read, she's done _____" and basically showed a completely different power-set (because Golden Age writers couldn't agree, and then new writers in modern times just invented stuff, too!).

What's worse is that 70% of them are basically the exact same guy- a burly, strong, punch-mooks-in-the-face kind of adventurer. At Marvel, it's closer to 90%- most of their guys never seemed to have any powers. Every time I think of doing a "Golden Age Marvel" set, I realize to myself that it would be the most boring thing in the entire universe to put down losers like The Black Marvel, Captain Wonder and whomever. Even J.M. Straczynski's The Twelve would be dull as dishwater (though part of me wants to do what Saint Matthew suggested and post half the builds one year, and then wait four more years to post the rest).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Stephen Loss

Post by Jabroniville »

DR. STEPHEN LOSS: Dr. Loss is from the Hellstorm book, and was a divine creation meant to fight the agents of Hell on Earth. He hunted Daimon Hellstrom, becoming quite a nuisance. He wielded a pair of "Breathing Guns" that could kill demons with bullets. The Ruinsaw was a divine weapon that allowed him to destroy a town within an hour's time. The Mantic Organ is a musical instrument that can cause seizures in demons, and the "Pus Knives of St. Merham of Riga" can apparently hunt beings by their sense of taste.

-There's not enough about him to really stat, but he was on the list Spectrum and I came up with (well, HE had all the names, and I just said "no Kill-O-Bots or Generic Wizards", but I'm counting that as a group effort), and I'd already started writing stuff down, so I figured I'd just post what I had :).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Spectrum

Re: Jab's Builds! (Stunt-Master! Scorpions! Sun Girl! Shamrock!)

Post by Spectrum »

Yeah, yeah, blame me. Jerk ;)

And isn't this picture gloriously 1990s?

We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Jabroniville

Soul-Eater

Post by Jabroniville »

THE SOUL-EATER:
-The Soul-Eater is a psionic construct created from the power of Odin by an Alien race that wanted a new God to worship. Quasar ended up dealing with a regenerated Soul-Eater much later, after the Nega-Bomb destroyed a huge portion of the Kree Empire after the Kree/Shi'ar War, and the lost souls energized the thing again. The Soul-Eater attempted to absorb Origin (the Cosmic Being Quasar had been protecting), but Quasar was able to fly inside the Soul-Eater's being and convince the souls within to resist him- this caused the Soul-Eater to explode, and the captive souls were freed.
Jabroniville

Slasher

Post by Jabroniville »

SLASHER (aka Razorblade)
Created By:
Gerry Conway & George Tuska
First Appearance: Iron Man #41 (Sept. 1971)
Role: Jobber Villain
Group Affiliations: The Titanic Three, The Fangs
PL 7 (84)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Athletics 3 (+6)
Deception 3 (+4)
Expertise (Criminal) 3 (+3)
Intimidation 3 (+4)

Advantages: 
Equipment 3 (Flechette Gun- Blast 4 Multiattack), Improved Critical (Slashing), Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Slasher Costume" (Flaws: Removable) [14]
Blade Aura 4 (Extras: Reaction +3) (12)
"Slashing" Strength-Damage +2 (2)
Protection 3 (3)
-- (17 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Slashing +8 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Bladed Costume +8 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Flechette Gun +8 (+4 Ranged Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3 (+6 Costume), Fortitude +4, Will +3

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)

Total: Abilities: 48 / Skills: 12--6 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 14 / Defenses: 8 (84)

-Slasher is a classic Jobber Villain, harassing Iron Man and then getting used by (who else?) Mark Gruenwald for (what else?) his Captain America run, joining other illustrious Jobbers like Heat-Wave, Slither & Bludgeon to harass Cap's friends. He hasn't really appeared all that much, and appears to be completely forgotten. He's basically The Porcupine but silver.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jack of Spades

Re: Jab's Builds! (Scorpions! Sun Girl! Shamrock! Slasher!)

Post by Jack of Spades »

I still can't believe they tried to put the Slasher in the same league as the Crimson Dynamo and the Titanium Man. Talk about a failed push...
Jack's Deck build threadFantasy Geographic Society campaign web site
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Stunt-Master! Scorpions! Sun Girl! Shamrock!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Spectrum wrote:Yeah, yeah, blame me. Jerk ;)

And isn't this picture gloriously 1990s?

All your fault, Spectrum.