Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Re: Deathstroke

Post by Jabroniville »

Ken wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:09 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:12 pmIn Identity Crisis, he was given this bad-ass moment where he hands a series of high-tier heroes their asses (the fight is a bit clumsily-written and makes the heroes into a bunch of dunces who just stand around and job one at a time, like the ninjas in a Martial Arts flick, but still) until Green Arrow manages to piss him off and get him to lose focus
Ahh, the moment he went from being a cool character to being Deathstroke the Villain Sue. "Clumsily-written" is overly generous. That fight is pure fan-wank.
I remember the instantaneous backlash on the internet over it. I told my friend (who was new to DC at the time) about it, and he was like "Really? I thought that fight was REALLY COOL." It's effective in making him look tough, at least :).

I mean, I can but Deathstroke being trouble for a lot of experienced heroes, especially when he's prepared. Flash fights dumber guys than Slade all the time (CAPTAIN COLD is a recurring nemesis; Slade is way beyond that). But guys like GREEN LANTERN are a bit "above" that kind of pay grade.

And like I said, it's funny how the very early '80s featured a Slade that was repeatedly called out as being past his prime, aged, and careless- Adeline frequently talked about how "there was a time we'd never have been able to observe him like this" and was staggered at Deathstroke CHASING DICK GRAYSON THROUGH THE STREETS as if this was the most horrendous job he'd ever done of something. And of course because he had great characterization and just plain LOOKED AWESOME, by the 1990s Slade was a supreme bad-ass, and only got more hardcore from there.

By the Grayson/Faerber Titans series, they were all "OMG you can't fight Deathstroke- he used to fight ALL of us!" even though back in the day, I don't think he stood a chance in a straight-up brawl with the team. Hell, at his trial in the Wolfman/Perez era, CHANGELING was able to nearly squash him- all his martial arts don't mean squat against an ELEPHANT, you know?

I think he just got Boba-Fetted until he was nearly unstoppable.
KorokoMystia

Re: Jab’s Builds (Terra! Supergirls! Kyle Rayner! Mr. Twister!)

Post by KorokoMystia »

Ares wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:35 pm Also, my favorite Batman versus Deathstroke battle also sums up how I feel a fight between them would go. Slade has an clear physical advantage over Bruce, such that anytime Bruce tries to directly compete, Slade wins. Slade is able to outrun Bruce's batarang toss, knock Bruce out of the air, etc. Then there's a moment where you see Bruce focus, at which point Slade pulls out the sword, and to me it's clear Bruce is fighting smarter, using his skill edge to compensate for Slade's physical edge, making it an even fight. Sort of how I'd see a fight between Bruce and Steve Rogers go.
That reminds me just how bad the battle in Arkham Knight was by comparison. Since it's just a vehicle battle, then Deathstroke jumps out and is taken down in one move.
Ken

Post by Ken »

But the Identity Crisis battle was so badly written....

Besides the question of Flash dodging exploding shrapnel, but not being able to avoid a larger and slower sword... if ignored the fact that Wally, at that point in his career could have vibrated through the sword, which would, in turn make the sword explode.

Dinah should have been able to shout her way out of the bag.

If the Atom is so small that photons from a laser pointer constitute a threat, there was no possible way for Slade to target him. More likely, since getting so small photons are a threat is a bad size to be... Ray wouldn't have gone to that size.

Removing Hawkman's wings will not make him fall. There's Nth metal in his BELT.

And, of course, Kyle deciding "this guy moves like Batman and with Aquaman's strength... I'll forego my usual tactics and fly into melee range"....

This is on top of the Let's All take Turns nonsense.

It was terribly written. Ignoring how characters' abilities work, just to make the Terminator seem kewler.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jabroniville

Shockwave

Post by Jabroniville »

SHOCKWAVE (Arnold Pruett)
Created By:
Paris Cullens
First Appearance: Blue Devil #2 (July 1984)
Role: Jobber Villain, Mercenary
PL 10 (124)
STRENGTH
3/9 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Deception 3 (+4)
Expertise (Mercenary) 5 (+5)
Expertise (Demolitions) 8 (+8)
Intimidation 5 (+6)
Technology 3 (+3)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 6

Powers:
"Shockwave Armour" (Flaws: Removable) [53]
Enhanced Strength 6 (12)
Protection 7 (Extras: Impervious 7) (14)
"Boot Jets" Flight 7 (250 mph) (14)
"Vibration Effect" Weaken Toughness 12 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Cone) (Flaws: Limited to Objects) Linked to Damage 12 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Cone) (Flaws: Limited to Objects) (24) -- (26)
  • AE: "Groundstrike" Affliction 10 (Dodge; Hindered/Prone) (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Ranged, Area- 60ft. Burst +2) (Flaws: Limited Degree, Instant Recovery, Limited to Grounded Targets) Linked to Damage 10 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Limited to Grounded Targets) (20)
  • AE: Vibration Blast 10 (20)
-- (66 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Armoured Strength +8 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Vibration Blast +8 (+10 Ranged Damage, DC 25)
Vibration Effect +8 (+12 Ranged Weaken & Damage, DC 22 & 27)
Groundstrike +10 Area (+10 Affliction & Damage, DC 20 & 25)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +4 (+11 Shockwave Armour, +4 Impervious), Fortitude +6, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)- Shockwave works for money.
Relationship (Wife & Children)

Total: Abilities: 38 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 53 / Defenses: 13 (124)

-Shockwave's just a generic Mercenary type villain, initially fighting Blue Devil in the early '80s and working for The 1000 (a criminal group). He later reappeared in the 2000s Titans series, being blackmailed into killing New York's Mayor (an old ally of the Titans from their '80s run, back when he was a cop), but when the Titans rescued his kidnapped children, he had... WORDS... with their captors.

-Shockwave seems like your standard Big Dumb Powerhouse, and folds pretty quickly against a concentrated effort from the Titans, but he's exceptionally durable (taking Troia & Tempest's attacks more as inconveniences and not K.O.s), but he gets frozen by Tempest's "Water Temperature Control" powers pretty handily.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Neutron

Post by Jabroniville »

NEUTRON (Nathaniel "Nat" Tryon)
Created By:
Marv Wolfman & Joe Staton
First Appearance: Action Comics #525 (Nov. 1981)
Role: Blaster
Group Affiliation: The Fearsome Five
PL 10 (138)
STRENGTH
8 STAMINA -- AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Expertise (Criminal) 2 (+2)
Intimidation 6 (+6)
Perception 2 (+2)
Ranged Combat (Nuclear Blasts) 4 (+8)

Advantages:
Improved Critical (Nuclear Blasts) 2, Ranged Attack 2

Powers:
"Walking Nuclear Bomb"
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]

Radiation Blast 12 (Feats: Split) (Extras: Penetrating 8) (33) -- [38]
  • AE: Damage 10 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Cone) (20)
  • AE: Damage 10 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Line) (20)
  • AE: Damage 10 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (20)
  • AE: Radiation Aura 5 [20]
  • AE: "Radiation Absorption" Nullify Energy 10 (Flaws: Limited to Radiation) (10)
"Powersuit" (Flaws: Removable) [18]
Protection 10 (10)
Flight 6 (120 mph) (12)
-- (22 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Radiation Aura +7 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Radiation Blast +8 (+12 Ranged Damage, DC 27)
Radiation Area Effects +10 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +10, Fortitude --, Will +3

Complications:
Involuntary Transformation (Living Energy)- If Neutron's Powersuit is broken or turned off, he will be transformed into living energy, unable to interact with the physical world.

Total: Abilities: 28 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 86 / Defenses: 9 (138)

-Neutron is one of those guys Wolfman created for another book (Superman) that got shunted over to his OTHER book to fill up the roster of the new Fearsome Five (their last hurrah until the modern era, as Psimon was killed a few months later during the Crisis on Infinite Earths). He's basically your everyday Wildfire sort of character, turning into bodiless energy if his suit is breached or shut down. A criminal sort, he was caught in a nuclear accident, went nuts because he figured out the government had deliberately-set the accident, and started the natural career of super-villainy- after fighting Superman, he joined the Fearsome Five briefly, got temporarily "obliterated" after Superman threw him and Plasmus into each other, and wasn't seen until the Last Laugh goofy-ass One-Month Event that saw every book feature a Joker-ized villain. He showed up a little bit more in minor roles, and was killed during Salvation Run to power Lex Luthor's teleporter on a prison planet.

-PL 10 might seem a lot for a forgettable Jobber, but remember that he was a Jobber to SUPERMAN.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ken

Re: Jab’s Builds (The Brotherhood of Evil! Deathstroke the Terminator!)

Post by Ken »

Action Comics 525 & 526 (Neutron's first appearance) also included an appearance by the H.I.V.E.* Marv really was trying to make them into something besides just Titans foes.

* - Hierarchy for International Vengeance and Extermination
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

BriarThrone wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:38 am
Woodclaw wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:03 pm
Ares wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:35 pm Also, my favorite Batman versus Deathstroke battle also sums up how I feel a fight between them would go. Slade has an clear physical advantage over Bruce, such that anytime Bruce tries to directly compete, Slade wins. Slade is able to outrun Bruce's batarang toss, knock Bruce out of the air, etc. Then there's a moment where you see Bruce focus, at which point Slade pulls out the sword, and to me it's clear Bruce is fighting smarter, using his skill edge to compensate for Slade's physical edge, making it an even fight. Sort of how I'd see a fight between Bruce and Steve Rogers go.
Possibly one of the greatest moment in a great story.

Also it was really fun that Batman put time on the plate, since the original confrontation during DC vs Marvel implied that when we saw them, they had already fought for 3 straigth days.
I can't help but feel that Steve has an advantage in a prolonged battle. "Days" is FAR in excess of how long it would take for a fight to become ENTIRELY about stamina, and Steve's enhanced physiology should put him substantially ahead there.
IIRC that's the conclusion they came to in the comic, the fight was interrupted and Batman admitted that Cap would win but it would take a long time.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
RUSCHE

Re: Neutron

Post by RUSCHE »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:58 am Image

NEUTRON (Nathaniel "Nat" Tryon)
Created By:
Marv Wolfman & Joe Staton
First Appearance: Action Comics #525 (Nov. 1981)
Role: Blaster
Group Affiliation: The Fearsome Five
PL 10 (138)
STRENGTH
8 STAMINA -- AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Expertise (Criminal) 2 (+2)
Intimidation 6 (+6)
Perception 2 (+2)
Ranged Combat (Nuclear Blasts) 4 (+8)

Advantages:
Improved Critical (Nuclear Blasts) 2, Ranged Attack 2

Powers:
"Walking Nuclear Bomb"
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]

Radiation Blast 12 (Feats: Split) (Extras: Penetrating 8) (33) -- [38]
  • AE: Damage 10 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Cone) (20)
  • AE: Damage 10 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Line) (20)
  • AE: Damage 10 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (20)
  • AE: Radiation Aura 5 [20]
  • AE: "Radiation Absorption" Nullify Energy 10 (Flaws: Limited to Radiation) (10)
"Powersuit" (Flaws: Removable) [18]
Protection 10 (10)
Flight 6 (120 mph) (12)
-- (22 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Radiation Aura +7 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Radiation Blast +8 (+12 Ranged Damage, DC 27)
Radiation Area Effects +10 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +10, Fortitude --, Will +3

Complications:
Involuntary Transformation (Living Energy)- If Neutron's Powersuit is broken or turned off, he will be transformed into living energy, unable to interact with the physical world.

Total: Abilities: 28 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 86 / Defenses: 9 (138)

-Neutron is one of those guys Wolfman created for another book (Superman) that got shunted over to his OTHER book to fill up the roster of the new Fearsome Five (their last hurrah until the modern era, as Psimon was killed a few months later during the Crisis on Infinite Earths). He's basically your everyday Wildfire sort of character, turning into bodiless energy if his suit is breached or shut down. A criminal sort, he was caught in a nuclear accident, went nuts because he figured out the government had deliberately-set the accident, and started the natural career of super-villainy- after fighting Superman, he joined the Fearsome Five briefly, got temporarily "obliterated" after Superman threw him and Plasmus into each other, and wasn't seen until the Last Laugh goofy-ass One-Month Event that saw every book feature a Joker-ized villain. He showed up a little bit more in minor roles, and was killed during Salvation Run to power Lex Luthor's teleporter on a prison planet.

-PL 10 might seem a lot for a forgettable Jobber, but remember that he was a Jobber to SUPERMAN.
He always seemed like a less cool looking Wildfire . Powers were similar but I thought he could have been a better cillian with how dangerous his powers were. I guess a jobber is and all he was meant to be.
Captain Beard

Post by Captain Beard »

Ken wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:01 am But the Identity Crisis battle was so badly written....

It was terribly written. Ignoring how characters' abilities work, just to make the Terminator seem kewler.
I think that, in modern comics, the editors are at a loss for what to do about Batman. When you spend the entire 90's and 00's establishing that Batman is the best and can beat anybody, how do you create a challenge for him: You either create e new guy or elevate an old one.

Thus, Deathstroke these days is set up to be the "If Batman was a villain" guy. A mastermind, a planner and counter-planner, a leader, and a supreme fighter. Like Batman.

Two problems:

1: If Batman can beat anybody with enough planning, why can't he beat Deathstroke? He can beat superpowered aliens who could level continents, he can beat space cops that fight galactic menaces, he can out-think space-gods, but he can't beat Deathstroke? He can beat Shiva, his fighting superior. He can beat Luthor, his intellectual equal, but he can't beat Deathstroke?

2: In this golden age of weebs, they have made Slade an anti-hero. A murderous mercenary who had sex with minors and whose only rule was "Complete the contract." is now a misunderstood sexy grandpa. Why the hell did they raise him up to Batman level, only to give him a heel-face turn and make him Eyepatch Batman?
"I am loyal to nothing, general-- except The Dream." -- Captain America

"I can do this all day..." --Steve Rogers
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

I really think the "He's sleeping with Terra" thing, which is TOTALLY IGNORED TODAY, may be part of the "Sexy Grandpa" thing they deliberately wanted to give off. In one of the Titans collections, Wolfman or Perez speaks about how they wanted to give everyone something to like, which is why there's so much barelegged Grayson and "Shirtless Dick Working Out" scenes, and that Slade was supposed to be a "sexy older gentleman" type- hence we see a lot of him in "Rich Guy Clothes" in his den of wealth and whatever. Him sleeping with Terra could have arguably been fetish fuel for the teen girls reading, all "OMG he likes them YOUNG!"

You see, of course, why DC tries not to mention that anymore.
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:58 pm I really think the "He's sleeping with Terra" thing, which is TOTALLY IGNORED TODAY, may be part of the "Sexy Grandpa" thing they deliberately wanted to give off. In one of the Titans collections, Wolfman or Perez speaks about how they wanted to give everyone something to like, which is why there's so much barelegged Grayson and "Shirtless Dick Working Out" scenes, and that Slade was supposed to be a "sexy older gentleman" type- hence we see a lot of him in "Rich Guy Clothes" in his den of wealth and whatever. Him sleeping with Terra could have arguably been fetish fuel for the teen girls reading, all "OMG he likes them YOUNG!"

You see, of course, why DC tries not to mention that anymore.
Just goes to show that like professional wrestling, some comic books ideas do not age well.
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 pm
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Yeah, the whole Terra thing is always going to require some brain bleach, but it might have been mitigated a bit if she was 18 or over and was just short enough to pass for 16, possibly even due to surgery. Slade had to constantly tell her to not do things like smoke or wear make-up, so it wouldn't be that much of a stretch that she's older than she looked.

I also never saw the reason for calling her "insane", unless it was insane in the "so morally aberrant as to be unrelatable to normal people" rather than the clinical term. She was just a rotten, selfish individual with no conscience and whose only joy was hurting others.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Captain Beard wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:28 pm Thus, Deathstroke these days is set up to be the "If Batman was a villain" guy. A mastermind, a planner and counter-planner, a leader, and a supreme fighter. Like Batman.
Bah... everyone knows that Cat-Man was Batman's mirror villain. A wealthy orphan who trained to be the best criminal, his immense inheritance funding his gadgets such as the Catmobile...
Shock

Post by Shock »

Ares wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:20 pm
I also never saw the reason for calling her "insane", unless it was insane in the "so morally aberrant as to be unrelatable to normal people" rather than the clinical term. She was just a rotten, selfish individual with no conscience and whose only joy was hurting others.
I think she was insane in the same way that Jeffrey Dahmer or Ted Bundy was insane. Just evil that's not comprehensible to normal society. She didn't have a reason, she was just bad.
Jabroniville

Shimmer

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImage

SHIMMER (Selinda Flinders)
Created By:
Marv Wolfman & George Perez
First Appearance: The New Teen Titans #3 (Jan. 1981)
Role: Matter Transmuter
Group Affiliations: The Fearsome Five, The Injustice League
PL 10 (106)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 3 (+4)
Close Combat (Transmutation) 4 (+10)
Deception 2 (+5)
Expertise (Criminal) 4 (+5)
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 2 (+5)
Perception 3 (+5)
Stealth 2 (+5)

Advantages:
Set-Up, Teamwork

Powers:
"Matter Transmutation" Transform 7 (Anything into Anything) (Feats: Reach) (Flaws: Touch Range) (36) -- [37]
  • AE: "Harden Water/Stick Through Solid Objects" Snare 10 (Feats: Reach) (Flaws: Touch Range) (21)
Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Snare +10 (+10 Affliction, DC 20)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +2, Fortitude +4, Will +5

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)
Relationship (Baran- Sister)- Baran is very devoted to his sister Selinda.

Total: Abilities: 44 / Skills: 22--11 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 37 / Defenses: 12 (106)

-Shimmer and her brother Mammoth are Australians born with superhuman powers, and used them to torment the children who mocked them for being different. Driven out of town by frightened parents, their parents sent them to Markovia, where they turned to a life of crime. Eventually, the siblings retire after some years with the Fearsome Five- however, their former leader, Psimon, arrives and demands they work for him. When they refuse, he murders Shimmer, turning her to glass and shattering her. She later returns to life, joining Dr. Sivana's new version of the Five- this version a darker, more goth variant (to be fair, the original has a REALLY dated "White Girl Fro"). This Five later battles the Wonder Girl-led Titans, and Kid Devil dies in the process.

-Shimmer's a Matter Transmuter, meaning she can do just about anything a clever writer can think of. That means that for only 41 points (her range is limited to about three feet), she gets a power that lets her "Snare" people with "hardened water", stick people through solid objects, turn Victor Stone into water, and half a dozen other things. Which is why GMs should never let their players use Transform. As it is, Shimmer's gets a very good power for relatively cheap, not nearly making pp for her PL cap.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.