Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Orchid

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImage

BLACK ORCHID (aka Orchid)
Role:
Secret Agent, The Chick
Games: Killer Instinct I-II, KI (2013)
PL 9 (155)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 6
FIGHTING 13 DEXTERITY 6
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 8 (+14)
Athletics 9 (+12)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+15)
Expertise (Survival) 4 (+8)
Expertise (Secret Agent/Spy) 8 (+11)
Intimidation 2 (+5)
Perception 4 (+8)
Stealth 3 (+9)

Advantages:
Equipment 2 (Taser Tonfa Rods +1), Great Endurance, Improved Critical 2 (Special Moves), Improved Critical (Unarmed) 2, Improved Initiative 2, Ranged Attack 6

Killer Instinct Fighting Style:
Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Chokehold, Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab, Power Attack, Withstand Damage

Powers:
"Special Moves" Strength-Damage +2 (Inaccurate -1) [1]
"No Mercy!" Features 1: May Use a Unique Move as a Finishing Move [1]
"Fire Cat" Morph 1 (Fire Cat Form) [5]

"Laser Boomerang/Fire Cat" Blast 4 (Feats: Variable- Fire or Laser Damage) (Diminished Range -1) (8) -- [9]
  • AE: "ULTRAAAAAAAAAAAA COMBO!!!!!" Strength-Damage +3 (Extras: Multiattack 6) (Inaccurate -2) (7)
Offense:
Unarmed +15 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Tonfa Rods +13 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Special Moves +13 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Ultra Combo +11 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +14

Defenses:
Dodge +13 (DC 23), Parry +15 (DC 25), Toughness +3, Fortitude +6, Will +8

Complications:
Motivation (Stopping UltraTech)- Orchid's mission is to investigate UltraTech- her organization works towards the betterment of society.
Secret (Brother, Jago)- Orchid and Jago are unaware of their link to each other. If she slays him in the tournament, Gargos will taunt her with what she's done, and she will regret it for the rest of her life.

Total: Abilities: 82 / Skills: 38--19 / Advantages: 15 + 7 / Powers: 16 / Defenses: 16 (155)

-If there's one aspect of Fighting Games I'll never understand, it's how absolutely EVERY FREAKING ONE OF THEM needs some kind of Spy/Special Agent character in it, and that character always has to be a female. You've got Chun-Li (and Cammy, sorta) in Street Fighter, Sonya Blade in Mortal Kombat, Blue Mary in Fatal Fury, Leona Heidern in King of Fighters, Sarah Bryant in Virtua Fighter, Nina Williams (a Sarah knock-off) in Tekken, and Sophitia in Toshinden. I mean, WHAT IS GOING ON HERE? Is everyone just ripping off their ideas from SF II and can't come up with other reasons why a chick would enter a martial arts tournament?

-A lot of Fighting Games from the '90s would actually explain what had happened in the prior tournaments- Ryu had won the World Warrior Tournament, Liu Kang beat Shang Tsung, Terry Bogard beat Geese Howard, Ryo Sakazaki defeated Mr. Big, and Kage-maru defeated Dural. Capcom kind of wimped out by never revealing the results of the second World Warrior Tournament, however, and other games stopped doing it. However, Black Orchid is the canonical victor of the UltraTech Killer Instinct Tournament, having slain Eyedol and therefore causing the time warp that sent all of the fighters into the past. Where they must apparently fight in ANOTHER Tournament.

-Orchid is a special agent investigating Ultratech, which immediately begins smearing her reputation, and she is targetted for death. Greatly endangered, she manages to find her long-lost half-brother, Jago, and the two support each other against their enemies, with her ultimately killing Eyedol, the Final Boss. She had one of the weirder designs in the first game, being Miss Fanservice, but sporting those early kind of hideous "Pointy Polygonal Boobs"- it's all like "HEYYYYYYYYYY LOOK AT THIS HOT, SEXY CHICK WITH ALL THESE CHARACTER ANGLES!" but she looks like she's hiding coat-hangers in her bra.

-Orchid's sprite was kind of screwy in the first game- as the only girl, you'd think they'd want to make her look as good as possible, but they gave her these HILARIOUSLY over-the-top pointy breasts that came to a dagger's edge, making them look more like weapons than boobs. They sort of fixed it with the second game (though everyone looked sorta weird in that one). Her moves were pretty Chun-Li-ish, with lots of acrobatic jump-y moves and split-kicks, though her "No Mercy" move that flashed her opponent was pretty funny (especially because if you fought another Orchid, the enemy would just stomp her foot in a big pouty way). She turns into a cat for some of them, but this doesn't really have a lot of noticeable battlefield effects beyond looking cool. She also has Tonfa Rods with a "Taser" setting she apparently only uses for a Fatality/No-Mercy.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds (Danny the St! Damian Wayne! The Hangmen! Killer Instinct!)

Post by Jabroniville »

haha, best use of the meme ever:

drkrash

Post by drkrash »

I've always thought KI was pretty cool. I practiced enough on the SNES to get good with Riptor, and then didn't play it again for decades.

My laptop is not good enough for the new KI, and I don't own an XBox...so I bought it for a friend so I could play it at his house. I actually was a little disappointed. The graphics were good, but not what I expected, and the lack of a real story or arcade mode was disappointing, because, even though fighting game stories are shitty, simplistic, and stupid, I LOVE FIGHTING GAME STORIES.

I had to make a special set of rules to allow Killer Instinct-style Combos in the rules for Fight!
Shadow Ops - cinematic espionage action RPG - Kickstarter live now!
Jabroniville

T.J. Combo

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImage

T.J. COMBO (T.J. Garrett)
Role:
The Boxer
Games: Killer Instinct I-II, KI (2013)
PL 9 (120)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 7 (+11)
Athletics 7 (+11)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 6 (+14)
Deception 4 (+7)
Expertise (Street Rat) 5 (+5)
Intimidation 4 (+7)
Perception 3 (+4)

Advantages:
Equipment 3 (Submachine Gun +5), Great Endurance, Improved Critical 2 (Special Moves), Improved Critical (Unarmed) 2, Improved Initiative, Ranged Attack 4

Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Chokehold, Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab, Power Attack, Withstand Damage

Powers:

"ULTRAAAAAAAAAAAA COMBO!!!!!" Strength-Damage +3 (Extras: Multiattack 7) (Inaccurate -2) (8) -- [9]
  • AE: "Shockwave" Damage 4 (Extras: Area- 15ft. Burst +1/2) (Flaws: Limited to Grounded Opponents) (6)
Offense:
Unarmed +14 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Special Moves +12 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Ultra-Combo +10 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Submachine Gun +8 (+5 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +8

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +14 (DC 24), Toughness +4, Fortitude +6, Will +5

Complications:
Motivation (Regaining Fame & Fortune)- Stripped of his Heavyweight Title for secretly using cybernetic enhancements, Combo seeks to regain what he once lost- fame and fortune.
Enemy (UltraTech)- An UltraTech surgeon performed Combo's surgery, and also leaked the story to the press. So Combo doesn't have any love for those people.

Total: Abilities: 52 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 13 + 7 / Powers: 11 / Defenses: 19 (120)

-T.J. Combo is a lot like SF II's Balrog, in that he's a black Heavyweight Boxing Champ who was stripped of his title, but in his case it's for illegally using cybernetic enhancements to ensure victory rather than using excessive violence. He joins the KI Tournament to win a different crown and shove it in the face of the world that hates him. In-story, he lost the tournament, but killed his first opponent- Riptor. He was cast into the ancient past along with the other survivors when the Tournament ended, and now fights to make his way home. Along the way, he unlocks his true potential, and realizes what is truly important- saving the world. This casts him into the more optimistic role of a repentant hero.

-Despite being so important to the first two Killer Instinct games, Combo did not return for the 2013 remake until its second season of operation, and in a fairly weak form. It's implied that his look is dated, and he comes off as very "non-special" in a world of Burning Men, Dinosaurs, Ice Aliens and Ninjas, but this is all speculation.

-Combo's fighting style is the most-basic of all the characters, consisting entirely of punches and combos in different styles- this means that he has the fewest Special Moves in M&M terms, while in-game he had a pretty big variety of moves with the general concept of "Punch The Other Guy". He uses a gun as a finishing move only (I guess he doesn't have much ammo, particularly in the past...), and is one of the cheaper KI characters, but still just as elite- I gave him an extra rank of Improved Critical (Unarmed) since he's so limited otherwise.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

drkrash wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:54 pm I've always thought KI was pretty cool. I practiced enough on the SNES to get good with Riptor, and then didn't play it again for decades.

My laptop is not good enough for the new KI, and I don't own an XBox...so I bought it for a friend so I could play it at his house. I actually was a little disappointed. The graphics were good, but not what I expected, and the lack of a real story or arcade mode was disappointing, because, even though fighting game stories are shitty, simplistic, and stupid, I LOVE FIGHTING GAME STORIES.

I had to make a special set of rules to allow Killer Instinct-style Combos in the rules for Fight!
I think they EVENTUALLY added some story stuff. When I first did these builds, the game was still quite new, and not every former KI character had been revealed yet. But now, reading it reveals stuff like a full explanation for Eyedol & Gargos.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

Yeah, the Season 2 characters have more fleshed-out story modes, while Season 3 introduced the "Shadow Lords" campaign, which is all about the characters banding together to stop Gargos and his forces.
drkrash

Post by drkrash »

So what was the mode I was playing that was almost like a mobile game where I was collecting various kinds of points and leveling up Jago or something?
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

drkrash wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:44 pm So what was the mode I was playing that was almost like a mobile game where I was collecting various kinds of points and leveling up Jago or something?
The Shadow Lords mode is really odd and different from any other fighting game singleplayer mode I can think of, being structured almost like a mobile game (but without the pesky microtransactions), since you can recruit fighters to join your team, craft and equip various items and guardian spirits to power them up, and even deploy members to go on missions automatically, whlie also making sure the corruption of each continent doesn't get too high. Gargos's strength at the final battle also depends on how many of the Omen sub-bosses you've defeated, since if you don't defeat them he will take their power and get a different buff from each one.
drkrash

Post by drkrash »

That's the one. Did not like.
Jabroniville

Battletoads

Post by Jabroniville »

"Let me stress this, because it really bears mentioning. I cheated to play this game. I cheated heavily. And I could not beat it. The third to last level has a racing section that is as close to impossible as I have experienced in a video game. It is a festival of ruthless brutality."
-Phil Sandifer

BATTLETOADS:
Game Type: OH MY GOD YOU POOR BASTARDS (aka Side-Scrolling Beat 'Em Up, Then a Rappelling Adventure, Then a Christ-Damned Impossible Racing Level, Then Some Ice Shit, Then Some Platforming, Then Some Bullshit With Some Snakes, Then Some Tunnel-Based RARE YOUR CHILDREN WILL SUFFER FOR THIS, Then Some Levels That Only Require Superhuman Timing and Nothing More)
Release Date: 1991
Developer: Satan Himself (aka Rare)

Huh- so that's what the levels after Level 3 look like.

-The Kobayashi Maru of video games, Battletoads has gone down in history as one of the most punishing, difficult, nigh-impossible excercises in futility for all of gaming history. It's hard to describe just HOW DIFFICULT this game truly is- you have to watch YouTube videos- difficult controls, astonishing obstacles, numerous foes, and a Speeder-Bike Level that runs faster than human reflexes. And that one's only so infamous because so few people have passed it that they don't even realize that it's not even the MOST DIFFICULT PART OF THE GAME! One level takes place on ice, and features numerous barriers that can only be knocked down by you dodging enemy fire... while sliding on ice. Another features giant Snakes you have to grapple, then leap from Snake to Snake, lest you fall onto a lower level entirely made of spikes (shoot, one one right before an Exit moves SO FAST you actually have to know about it ahead of time or be screwed over- they move three times the speed of the others). And then one levels features you on some kind of hand-held wheel thingie that blitzes you around corners at faster than anyone can possibly control, while being chased by something that moves as fast as you can, but makes no mistakes. Never mind the Two-Player Mode, which allows both friendly fire (you can hurt your partner- and you can't control finishing your combos with huge strikes!), but a screen that can screw you over if you don't both move simultaneously. And you have to resart the whole level if even ONE of you gets a Game Over! Battletoads has contemporaries that are just as punishing, but few are quite as unfair about it. There MIGHT be a harder game, but this one has the unaltered, well-deserved reputation for being The Nintendo Hard Game of Nintendo Hard Games. The only saving grace the latter levels have is that the early ones are so difficult that most players will never see them. The closest equivalent I can think of in M&M is rolling 150 natural 20s in a row.

-The game came out in a time of Ninja Turtle wannabes- the original advertisement boasts that "Compared to Battletoads, Turtles seem like Pond Scum". The nasty, grimacing trio of toads are given gross names (Rash, Zits & Pimple) to appeal to young boys, and sent against the Dark Queen (a chesty dame in latex fetish gear) in a game that gives off a pretty good sense of humor. You beat guys up in Double Dragon fashion, often with your fists and feet growing to huge levels at the end of a combo. You can toss guys around, toss them into the SCREEN, and your eyes bug out in terror every time a boss shows up. Oh, and the Speeder-Bike Level- the ramps come so quickly that only rote memorization can save you; relying on your reflexes will get you killed.

-The games were quite popular- the original was ported to just about every system (Game Gear & Game Boy, NES & Genesis, even Computers). A sequel, Battletoads in Battlemaniacs, came out in 1993, and you play only Rash & Pimple, trying to rescue the captured Zitz and some other chick. In this one, the characters appear differently- Pimple is a powerhouse, while Rash is a speedster. That same year saw the release of Battletoads & Double Dragon, a TEAM-UP game (a genre that's rare thanks to Copywrite issues, but should REALLY be more of a thing- Super Smash Bros. is a huge success in part because of it) featuring all five heroes against the Dark Queen & Shadow Boss. Battletoads Arcade came out in 1994, and was a bit more violent. Zitz was included this time, and he featured the balanced approach to fighting. A Cartoon Series was attempted, but they only made a single, terrible Pilot Episode in 1992 before giving up- they even copied the TMNT series right down to having David Wise, their most prolific writer, adapting it for television.

RASH, ZITZ & PIMPLE
Role:
Ninja Turtles Rip-Offs, Brawlers
PL 8 (113)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 12 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+8)
Athletics 8 (+11)
Expertise (Space Alien) 4 (+5)
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 2 (+5)
Perception 3 (+5)
Persuasion 2 (+5)
Technology 5 (+6)
Vehicles (HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH No)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Close Attack, Equipment 2 (Speeder-Bikes), Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Disarm, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Improved Smash, Improved Trip, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 6, Takedown, Teamwork

Powers:
"Expert Throwers" Power-Lifting 2 (Flaws: Limited to Throwing Guys) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +13 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +4, Fortitude +6, Will +7

Complications:
Motivation (Saving the Princess)
Enemy (The Dark Queen)
Weakness (Friendly Fire)- These assholes for some reason can't seem to avoid hitting each other if they're even close together in melee combat.

Total: Abilities: 62 / Skills: 30--15 / Advantages: 21 / Powers: 1 / Defenses: 13 (113)

-I was sorely, SORELY tempted to stat up the three Battletoads as PL 4s in a world of PL 10s, but they probably fit better on Billy & Jimmy Lee's "Beat 'Em Up" hero level. However, their opponents are MUCH tougher than your typical BMU Goons- these guys require a ton of hits to bring down, hit you as often as you hit them, and oh GOD all of the backdrop stuff that can kill you. DEX 2 is all they get, and no Vehicles Skill- watch those Speeder-Bike Levels if you don't see why. Like a lot of Beat 'Em Up heroes, they can pick up weapons and fight very well with them (most Speed-Runners and other pros pick up weapons IMMEDIATELY and use them to curbstomp most of the bad guys with extra damage)- they even get some more Ranged Attack, thanks to the fact that some Bosses have to be beaten by throwing objects at them.

-Later games differentiate the characters a bit- Pimple is +1 Strength & Stamina, -1 Fighting & Agility, while Rash was +1 Fighting & +2 Agility, -1 Strength & Stamina. Zitz stays the same.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

Surprisngly, a new Battletoads game was announced last year, too, likely because of the various cameo appearances they've made lately.

Also, the inclusion of the Shadow Boss in the Battletoads & Double Dragon game was such an oddity: It was clear that the developers werne't entirely familar with Double Dragon. The character does not exist in Double Dragon's canon, and seems to be based loosely on the Shadow Boss from the cartoon, but there's a problem with that: In the toon, JIMMY was the Shadow Boss! (inspired by the NES version, I assume) And then there's the bizarreness of the "Roper" character, who takes his name fromt he Rowper enemies, but is clearly more based on Machine Gun Willy.
Jabroniville

Rash

Post by Jabroniville »

RASH (Dave Shar)
Role:
Cameo Character (from Battletoads)
Games: Killer Instinct (2013)
PL 8 (120)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 7 (+11)
Athletics 7 (+11)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 4 (+12)
Expertise (Space Alien) 4 (+5)
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 2 (+5)
Perception 3 (+5)
Persuasion 2 (+5)
Technology 5 (+6)
Vehicles (HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH No)

Advantages:
Equipment 2 (Speeder-Bikes), Great Endurance, Improved Critical 2 (Special Moves), Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Disarm, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Improved Smash, Improved Trip, Ranged Attack 6, Takedown, Teamwork

Powers:
Features 1: Body Alters Into Strange Shapes While Using Special Moves (Giant Boot, Wrecking Ball, etc.) [1]
"Expert Thrower" Power-Lifting 2 (Flaws: Limited to Throwing Guys) [1]
"Wicked Tongue" Movement 1 (Swinging) [2]

"ULTRAAAAAAAAAAAA COMBO!!!!!" Strength-Damage +3 (Extras: Multiattack 7) (Inaccurate -2) [8]

Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Special Moves +10 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Ultra-Combo +9 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Initiative +8

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +14 (DC 24), Toughness +4, Fortitude +6, Will +5

Complications:
Responsibility (Wisecracker)- Rash is prone to getting his team into trouble with his big mouth.
Motivation (Challenges)- Doing endless speed-runs has gotten boring, and so Rash has asked for a new challenge- he ends up being sent to the Killer Instinct tournament.

Total: Abilities: 56 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 19 + 7 / Powers: 14 / Defenses: 19 (120)

-"Cameo Characters" have become a pretty big thing in Fighting Games, with Akuma & Geese Howard appearing in Tekken, Horror Movie characters & Kratos appearing in Mortal Kombat, and more. Killer Instinct, being a Rare game, was apparently reduced to just getting a cameo from another Rare property- the infamous Battletoads, legendary for its insane difficulty level (so much so that the Speeder Bike Level that nobody ever passed is NOT EVEN CLOSE TO THE HARDEST LEVEL). Rash, the wisecracking Battletoad, was chosen to appear in the third season of the 2013 X-Box remake of Killer Instinct. Here, he is a normal kid who was placed into the body of an alien Battletoad, and joined the Killer Instinct tournament to find more challenges.

-Rash fights like other KI characters, but uses Battletoads-style attacks, liking transforming into a wrecking ball or a giant boot while attacking people.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

From what I remember, the 'toads being transformed kids was part of the backstory of the cartoon pilot.

I'm guessing Microsoft didn't have too much to work with in terms of guest characters, given how most of their non-Rare popular first-party franchises are FPSes, though using the iconic villains from Halo and Gears of War was a fine choice, rather than the more bland main characters.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Remarks about Battletoads from my 2016 posts (damn, we're coming up on THREE YEARS since I started those video game builds):
Ares wrote:Yeah, my brothers and I could never get past the speeder bike level. It was a two player game that basically punished you for playing with two players, because if one of you died, you both suffered. For two players to beat this game, you have to be so good and so in sync with each other that you should apply for the Jaeger program, because you're definitely Drift Compatible.

The arcade game was a lot less punishing and a lot more fun, IMO. MUCH more violent too, as you'd see things like the Toads going up to guys twice their size, but then start pounding the guy in the balls. I mean that literally, they'd grab the guy's crotch and just start punching till the guy dropped dead from dick punches. But they'd also do cool things like turn their arms into bulldozer shovels or axes or things like that during their attacks, and the bit where they would hammer a guy into the ground before kicking him off screen was always fun.
BatgirlIII wrote:TV Tropes summarizes the Dark Queen thusly: " Jessica Rabbit spliced with Elvira, the Dark Queen is so haphazardly designed that her cowl isn't even connected to anything. (Nope, not even her neck. Look again.)"

It's true.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

"Let me stress this, because it really bears mentioning. I cheated to play this game. I cheated heavily. And I could not beat it. The third to last level has a racing section that is as close to impossible as I have experienced in a video game. It is a festival of ruthless brutality."
-Phil Sandifer
BATTLETOADS:
Then a Christ-Damned Impossible Racing Level

the best one about that was one of the lyrics from the song Dumb ways to die Video game versions

that one F**kn level in battletoads
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories