Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
KorokoMystia

Re: Jab’s Builds (The Power Broker! The Power Tools! Polaris!)

Post by KorokoMystia »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:07 am
Ares wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:56 am Sad thing is, there's nothing inherently wrong with the Porcupine armor or name, really. It's a suit of armor with strength enhancement, a diverse array of ranged attacks, and it's hard for anyone to even touch you without them injuring themselves. It's not Iron Man armor, but how laughable it's considered is really out of proportion to how dangerous it is.
Yeah, it's just that porcupines don't really evoke much terror as far as names go. Everyone is afraid to touch them, but they don't really have a deadly reputation.

And yeah, it's odd that the suit actually enhances STRENGTH, too, but is still largely the outfit of a jobber. I guess it's really more the man than the suit, I guess.
I guess it could be worse: He could've named himself "The Hedgehog". The only time that really inspires terror is if you're Dr. Robotnik..or if you're on DeviantArt.
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

That Wasp always had a hard time stinging Porky through that thick quilly armor.
Jabroniville

Pyro

Post by Jabroniville »

PYRO (Saint-John Allerdyce)
Created By:
Chris Claremont & John Byrne
First Appearance: The Uncanny X-Men #141 (Jan. 1981)
Role: Recurring Villain, Elementalist, Awesome Name For a Crappy Villain
Group Affiliations: The Brotherhood of Evil Mutants, Freedom Force
PL 10 (121)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+7)
Deception 4 (+6)
Expertise (Government Agent) 3 (+4)
Expertise (Reporter) 5 (+6)
Expertise (Writer) 5 (+6)
Intimidation 4 (+6)
Investigation 4 (+6)
Perception 4 (+6)
Persuasion 3 (+5)
Insight 4 (+6)
Ranged Combat (Fire) 4 (+10)
Vehicles 4 (+4)

Advantages:
Improved Initiative, Ranged Attack 6, Set-Up, Teamwork

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Control Fire"
Immunity 10 (Flame Effects) (Flaws: Limited to Those Under His Control) [5]

"Fire Powers" (All Have Flaws: Requires Existing Flame)
Fire Blast 10 (Feats: Split, Improved Critical) (Extras: Penetrating) (22) -- [28]
  • AE: Fire Control 10 (Feats: Precise) (21)
  • AE: "Flame Shapes" Blast 10 (Feats: Precise) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Shapeable) (21)
  • AE: "Fire Wave" Damage 10 (Extras: Area- 120ft. Cone +2) (20)
  • AE: "Fire Stream" Damage 10 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Line +2) (20)
  • AE: "Explosive Fireball" Blast 10 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (20)
  • AE: "Fireflash" Dazzle Visuals 10 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (20)
"Pyro Costume" (Flaws: Removable) [12]
Protection 3 (3)
"Flame-Throwers" Damage 6 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Line) (12)
-- (15 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Fire Blast +10 (+10 Ranged Damage, DC 25)
Fire Stuff +10 Area (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Fireflash +10 Area (+10 Affliction, DC 20)
Initiative +6

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +2 (+5 Costume), Fortitude +5, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)
Relationship (The Blob)- The two are pretty close, as bad guys go.

Total: Abilities: 30 / Skills: 46--23 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 45 / Defenses: 14 (121)

Pyro- Generic Super-Villain Extraordinaire:
-Pyro always bugged me. I mean, that's the greatest name for a fire-based guy you could EVER come up with, thus nobody else cool ever gets to use it. And then they stick it on the worst guy ever. An evil NOVELIST AND REPORTER? Really? That was the best they could do? The goofy costume doesn't help. So he's just a hench-villain following orders, and never really got any kind of character depth or focus- and keep in mind this is a Claremont/Byrne guy- right from the PEAK ERA of the book. In a sense, he & Avalanche kind of represent that most generic kind of villain- just a name and a costume. It's really quite peculiar- he's among the least-nuanced of all the recurring X-Villains.

-Pyro is an Australian writer & reporter who gets hired by Mystique to join her new Brotherhood of Evil Mutants. Appearing to have zero nuance, much like teammates Avalanche & The Blob, he's just one of Mystique's goons, though an effective "Area Attacker", cutting large swaths with his interesting powers- he controls flame, but isn't a simple "Blaster"- he can't GENERATE it; he has to use flamethrowers to create the fire that he can then shape into monstrous forms. Pyro's incarnation of the Brotherhood pop up here and there, fighting the X-Men twice, and the Avengers- Mystique & Destiny are the only ones who get much play, along with their foster daughter, Rogue. Pyro is just a goon.

Pyro in the '90s:
-The Brotherhood ended up getting a LOT more focus as a member of "Freedom Force"- the Brotherhood, recognizing the jig was up as far as Mutant Criminals went, volunteered for service with the U.S. Government, and sent on numerous "black ops" missions. Freedom Force was ALL OVER the Marvel books for a while when I first started reading comics, defeating the Avengers on behalf of the feds, brawling with X-Factor over Rusty Collins (who the Force wanted to arrest), and they were present when the X-Men died fighting The Adversary in Dallas. They face the Avengers again during Acts of Vengeance, threaten the New Mutants, and more... until Chris Claremont leaves the X-Books, leaving all of his old villains vulnerable. And so during a series that takes place in the Marvel Annuals of 1992, Freedom Force (now sans the deceased Destiny & Stonewall, as well as a grieving Mystique) ends up in Iraq. There, they fight the goofy "Desert Sword" team, with Pyro making the cruel decision to just burn their extraction target alive so the enemy can't make use of his scientific talents. Things go completely sideways- Super Sabre is also killed, and Crimson Commando (their mission commander) is maimed. Avalanche bails on the mission, leaving Pyro and the Blob to surrender.

-This story later proves pretty worthless, as The Toad simply buys their contracts back from their Iraqi bosses, and they join his new version of the Brotherhood against X-Force. Unfortunately, this serves little purpose other than to give X-Force some jobbers to beat on, and to let Rob draw some characters for the first time (this used to be a big deal in comics, by the way- getting a hot new artist on a book, and seeing their take on various old-school characters). This Brotherhood is dealt a humiliating defeat, and it's largely a means to free Feral from the Morlocks (Masque and Thornn were teaming with the Brotherhood), and to "kill" Cannonball so he could be reborn as an immortal.

-Pyro more or less sat out the remainder of the '90s- I have no recollection of the character. However, some Annuals around 1993 reveal that he was one of MANY "Discarded Villains" who was given the Legacy Virus- the ultimate form of Spring Cleaning. And so, in an era that saw the deaths of Sumo, Sebastian Shaw, The Hellions (still bitter), Psynapse, Mesmero, Magneto, Infectia, Mastermind, Donald Pierce, and others (some by the Virus, others not), Pyro joined the ranks of the discarded. He suffered from the Virus for a while, but in the end, went out a hero. The Brotherhood of Evil Mutants was back trying to kill Senator Robert Kelly again, and Pyro, realizing how pointless all of this was, burned himself out killing his teammate Post, saving Kelly's life. This act rid us of a villain who never really got much focus, and also helped change Kelly's infamously dire stance against mutants- around this time, he began focusing on working towards a peaceful solution between humans and mutants.

Pyro as a Whole:
-Pyro was one of countless reanimated mutants brought back by Selene during Necrosha, but surprisingly actually stayed alive (along with Doug Ramsey, Blink, and a couple of others). However, he didn't actually DO anything- he just kind of showed up in his old role as a disposable villain. Honestly, the character was never a villain of any real substance, but was fine in his role as a one-dimensional baddie (honestly, he could've been used a lot more like that- his powers were interesting enough). And his death was the rare kind that can ENHANCE things. Resurrecting him really does nothing. The movies did him so much better- as a wild-child from a broken home, easily shifted to Magneto's line of thinking through a great bit of dialogue ("What's your name?" "John." "No... what's your REAL name?").

Pyro's Powers:
-Pyro is very limited in many ways, needing existing flames (hence the Flamethrower costume) to use virtually any of his powers. This ends up making him much cheaper than he'd normally be, and he can still pull off massive +10 Damage Area effects all over the place. He's got lower stats across the board, though, and folds like a card table in a real fight, especially if he starts taking damage. Freedom Force was a MAJOR threat in battle, but largely through teamwork and the use of Gamebreakers like Spiral & Destiny.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Pyro was kind of interesting in how it showcased someone with a limited power making the most out of it. Guys like the Human Torch can both generate and control fire, but Johnny generally just flies around blasting stuff, occasionally making fire cages, and very rarely making full use of his power by creating fire clones, absorbing heat, etc.

Pyro, meanwhile, can only manipulate flame, but he tended to do way more impressive stuff with his fire power than the Torch did. Pyro would do things like create these giant fire-birds or fire monsters who could actually lift and move things while also setting them on fire, create heat so intense Colossus was pained by it, etc. It's like since he had a more limited ability he actually worked hard on the control aspect to become a legitimate threat.

It's also kind of funny, in that Pyro is essentially a villainous version of an old Golden Age hero called The Flame, who could likewise control fire but not create it. The Flame's fix was to have a relatively small hand-held gun that could produce a small amount of fire, after which point he could intensify and lengthen the flame into this massive wave of fire. Basically, the Flame made do with the equivalent of those old hand-held blow-torches, while Pyro went full on back-pack flamethrower. Since the Flame's powers were magical in nature (he studied mysticism to control flame with his mind), he could do some other cool stunts like being able to walk into fire and teleport out from any other flame in the world.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

Pyro might be one of my more-liked X-Jobbers, and I'm not entirely sure why. Maybe it's the costume, his cool fire powers, or his appearance in the arcade game. When I think of Brotherhood members,I usually think of Magneto, Mystique, Juggernaut, Blob, Toad, and Pyro.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

KorokoMystia wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:17 pm Pyro might be one of my more-liked X-Jobbers, and I'm not entirely sure why. Maybe it's the costume, his cool fire powers, or his appearance in the arcade game. .
"I'LL TURN YOU TO TOAST!"
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

KorokoMystia wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:21 am I guess it could be worse: He could've named himself "The Hedgehog". The only time that really inspires terror is if you're Dr. Robotnik..or if you're on DeviantArt.
Well, That is one way to avoid buggering.
Jabroniville

Pyro (Lasker)

Post by Jabroniville »

PYRO II (Simon Lasker)
Role:
Legacy Character
Created By: Marc Guggenheim & Ardian Syaf
First Appearance: X-Men: Gold # 1 (2017)
Group Affiliations: The Brotherhood of Mutants

-Apparently there was a second Pyro. Simon Lasker is a teenage mutant who manifested his powers suddenly, burning down his high school and killing everyone in it (okay, that's a TAD dark and angsty as an origin story). He's mesmerized by a re-powered Mesmero into joining a new Brotherhood of Mutants as their "Pyro". Hired by anti-mutant activist Lydia Nance to act as a "False Flag" to make mutants look worse, they do some random things, but are generally defeated. Pyro II quits when he discovers Nance's involvement, revealing everything to the X-Men. Iceman was wary of him, but Rogue, a former Brotherhood member, vouched for him. And good thing, because Iceman's homosexuality has apparently made him a bed-hopper, too, as he quickly jumps into bed with the apparently-gay reformed villain.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

POST (Kevin Tremain)
Created By:
Scott Lobdell & Andy Kubert
First Appearance: X-Men #50 (March 1996)
Group Affiliations: The Brotherhood of Evil Mutants
Role: Sub-Boss, Powerhouse Blaster
PL 10 (168)
STRENGTH
11 STAMINA 11 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 7/9 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 5 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Expertise (Science) 3 (+8)
Intimidation 5 (+xx Size)
Perception 3 (+3)
Technology 3 (+8)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 8

Powers:
"Cybernetic Enhancements"
"Body Armour" Impervious Toughness 11 [11]
"Sensor Plates" Senses 6 (Infravision, Radius Sight, Analytical Power Detection- Ranged) [6]
Immunity 20 (Mental Effects) [20]
Enhanced Fighting 2 [4]

Teleport 10 (Extras: Accurate) (30) -- [32]
  • AE: "Cloaking Device" Concealment 3 (All Visuals, All Hearing) (12)
  • AE: Energy Blast 12 (24)
"Large Size" Growth 3 (Str & Sta +3, +3 Mass, +1 Intimidation, -1 Dodge/Parry, -3 Stealth) -- (10 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [7]

Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+11 Damage, DC 26)
Blasts +8 (+12 Ranged Damage, DC 27)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +11 (+6 Impervious), Fortitude +11, Will +5

Complications:
Responsibility (Onslaught's Will)- Post is just a henchman.

Total: Abilities: 56 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 10 / Powers: 80 / Defenses: 15 (168)

-Kevin Tremain is a young mutant who long ago was captured by The Mandarin, who wanted to use him as a template for an army of super-powered soldiers. He was broken out by Cable and his Six Pack teammates. He sustained injuries in the process, and was mutated by a blood transfusion from Cable (who was afflicted with the Techno-Organic Virus). He reappears in modern times (the other stuff is a Retcon) as one of Onslaught's key agents in THAT big cross-over, where he was basically a Sub-Boss at best, frequently encountering X-Men (of whom Cable was now a member), but usually jobbing. He did beat Cable at one point, however. Eventually, Onslaught was defeated.

-Post reappeared as one of the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants, who attempted one more attack on Senator Robert Kelly's life. However, Pyro, dying from the Legacy Virus at the time, chose to go out as a man, executing a murderous Post, and in his last moments, begging Kelly to rethink his anti-mutant agenda.

-Post didn't last too long (only a couple years!), but was shown to be a pretty big Blaster with some advanced Sensors that helped him figure out battle plans (Enhanced Fighting)- he was enough to challenge four X-Men, beat Cable once, and was generally a decent Powerhouse/Blaster set-up.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KorokoMystia

Re: Jab’s Builds (The Power Tools! Polaris! Pyro! Post!)

Post by KorokoMystia »

Post really does feel like a Sub-Boss. Like, the first Marvel Vs. Capcom used Onslaught as the boss (and that's probably the only reason a lot of people know of or remember him), and Post probably would have fit in pretty well if the game needed a sub-boss, I think, despite his obscurity, since the game came out when the Onslaught arc was relevant.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

KorokoMystia wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:17 pm Pyro might be one of my more-liked X-Jobbers, and I'm not entirely sure why. Maybe it's the costume, his cool fire powers, or his appearance in the arcade game. When I think of Brotherhood members,I usually think of Magneto, Mystique, Juggernaut, Blob, Toad, and Pyro.
As far as I'm concerned two things made Pyro really interesting for me: first he's probably the only pure "elemental controller", i.e. a character that can only control a form of "energy/matter" not generate, this alone should be enough to set him apart; second, in terms of personality Pyro always struck me as a more cool and laid back than many others. Fire themed villains are usually unstable time bombs, impulsive hotheads or pyromaniac, John is nothing of the sort, he usually play it very safe and professional.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

Apparently Pyro's name 'St. John' is pronounced 'Sin-Jin' or 'Sin-Jun' :?
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Jabroniville

Phantazia

Post by Jabroniville »

Man, is there any design more "Rob Liefeld" than "you don't need to draw the feet OR the face"?

PHANTAZIA (Eileen Harsaw)
Created By:
Fabian Nicieza & Rob Liefeld
First Appearance: X-Force #6 (Jan. 1992)
Role: Forgotten Villain
Group Affiliations: The Brotherhood of Evil Mutants
PL 9 (126)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Deception 2 (+3)
Intimidation 2 (+3)
Ranged Combat (Harmonizing Energy) 2 (+8)

Advantages:
Ranged Attack 2, Teamwork

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Manipulated Electromagnetic Fields"
Senses 5 (Detect Electromagnetic Fields- Radius, Acute & Accurate) [5]
Flight 5 (60 mph) [10]

"Harmonizing Energy"
"Turn Off Tech" Nullify Technology 10 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst, Broad, Simultaneous) (40) -- [45]
  • AE: "Pain & Paralysis" Affliction 10 (Fort; Dazed/Stunned/Paralyzed) (Extras: Ranged, Cumulative) (30)
  • AE: "Destabilize" Affliction 10 (Fort; Impaired/Disabled/Transformed to Powerless) (Extras: Ranged, Cumulative) (30)
  • AE: "Control Powers" Affliction 10 (Fort; Dazed/Compelled/Controlled Powers) (Extras: Ranged, Cumulative) (30)
  • AE: Concealment (Visuals, Technology) 4 (Extras: Affects Others) (16)
  • AE: "Control Machinery" Affliction 10 (Tech Skill of Designer; Entranced/Compelled/Controlled) (Extras: Perception-Ranged +2) (Flaws: Limited to Technology) (20)
Offense:
Unarmed +4 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Harmonizing People +8 (+10 Ranged Affliction, DC 20)
Turn Off Tech +10 Area (+10 Nullify, DC 20)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +2, Fortitude +4, Will +4

Complications:
None

Total: Abilities: 28 / Skills: 6--3 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 60 / Defenses: 15 (126)

-Phantazia is an odd forgotten mutant character, debuting as a throwaway Sketchpad Character in Liefeld's early X-Force run- she a part of Toad's Brotherhood of Evil Mutants, but fled as soon as the going got tough. Which pretty much explains why she's forgotten right there- this era of the Brotherhood saw them as Wrecking Crew-like Jobber Villains, and they ended up dealing with Sleepwalker, Spider-Man & others, but almost never faced the actual X-MEN, who were busy with the new generation of Sketchpad Villains, like the Dark Riders, MLF, etc. They all but disappeared in the mid-'90s, after Pyro died of the Legacy Virus. She later appeared in House of M as one of the few who remembered what happened in that reality (though she's De-Powered since M-Day), the results driving her insane. She's so poorly thought-out that she doesn't even have any Complications- I mean, I can't even think of WHY she's a member of the Brotherhood.

-Phantazia is also a hilarious example of Rob Liefeld's half-assedness as an artist. I mean, what could possible be more Liefeldian than a character who is nothing but a cape and a mask? He doesn't have to draw anything like that complicated "anatomy" stuff- just that big flowing cape! Which naturally, he draws like it's a long series of fat tubes, because that's easier for him than drawing what an ACTUAL cape would look like.The rest of those X-Force issuse are also hilarious for bad art, as Shatterstar is showing CUTTING PEOPLE using what looks like fluorescent tubes, Thornn goes from a one-piece-wearing Catgirl with stripes and long hair to a short-haired girl in an all-covering plain yellow bodysuit just because that's easier to draw, and HER FREAKING TAIL appears and disappears at completely random intervals! Best of all, at one point the lights go out, meaning that everything's just a silhouette with a mouth and a few costume details on it! And yet the Letters Column is 100% full of PRAISE FOR ROB LIEFELD'S ART.

-Phantazia was actually very powerful in the fight, leading the team to X-Force's hideout, shutting down Cable's weaponry, and de-powering Cannonball, allowing him to be murdered by Sauron (this was the story that revealed Sam to be an immmortal "External"). She fled the battle, appearing with the Brotherhood during their "Journeyman Villain" days, going from book to book as minor threats. After the mid-90s, she basically stops making appearances, as she's not a "classic" Brotherhood member and most of the '90s newbies disappeared around this time. It isn't until House of M that she shows up again, but she loses her powers after M-Day. Later, she appears to have regained her powers (ie. the artist clearly didn't know or forgot) fighting Raze's Brotherhood ALONGSIDE the X-Men.

-Phantazia is basically a high-level Ability Affecter, throwing out Debuffs on the enemy that involves Paralysis, Concealment, Power Control, Nullification, etc. She isn't that tough on her own, which is why she NEEDS the team, but she's very versatile- she's turned off Cannonball's Blast Field, prevented Sleepwalker from warping reality, shut down Cable's guns, led her team to X-Force's hidden base, and more.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

M4C8 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:27 pm Apparently Pyro's name 'St. John' is pronounced 'Sin-Jin' or 'Sin-Jun' :?
yep. see also Jane Eyre.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

Woodclaw wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:59 am
KorokoMystia wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:17 pm Pyro might be one of my more-liked X-Jobbers, and I'm not entirely sure why. Maybe it's the costume, his cool fire powers, or his appearance in the arcade game. When I think of Brotherhood members,I usually think of Magneto, Mystique, Juggernaut, Blob, Toad, and Pyro.
As far as I'm concerned two things made Pyro really interesting for me: first he's probably the only pure "elemental controller", i.e. a character that can only control a form of "energy/matter" not generate, this alone should be enough to set him apart; second, in terms of personality Pyro always struck me as a more cool and laid back than many others. Fire themed villains are usually unstable time bombs, impulsive hotheads or pyromaniac, John is nothing of the sort, he usually play it very safe and professional.
Yeah, it is pretty unique there. Though it does remind me of the weridness over in the Last Airbender franchise, where all the other 'benders require the element to be around in order to use it (which is easier for some cases where the element they need is all around them), while Firebenders can just kinda..generate fire.