Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
KorokoMystia

Re: Jab’s Builds (Pyro! Professor Xavier! Paradox! Proteus! Paladin!)

Post by KorokoMystia »

Funnily enough, I think Paladin would fit better if he was named Maverick, but well, that name was taken. Then again, Maverick became Agent Zero, so..
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

drkrash wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:34 pm In either case, though, the name doesn't really fit, no matter who you interpret the term "paladin." It could have been used for a much different character. I would imagine Ares agrees with me on this point.
I always figured his name was more of a "Have Gun - Will Travel" thing.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

drkrash wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:56 pm Fun ideas, Ares. I usually find your ideas more interesting than what is actually being produced.
Aw, shucks. :)
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

KorokoMystia wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:59 pm Funnily enough, I think Paladin would fit better if he was named Maverick, but well, that name was taken. Then again, Maverick became Agent Zero, so..
It would honestly fit, since Maverick was more of a professional merc from what I remember. I'll admit I always kind of liked Maverick's design and the expansion his abilities got in his solo series, where he could not only absorb kinetic energy again, but use the energy for Iron Fist style super punches and energy blasts, albeit the blasts being very draining.

But I'd actually go back and find a lot of little used super merc types and just go "yup, they were all the same guy, marketing himself with different identities to appeal to different clients". The Paladin identity would have been designed specifically so that he could work with heroes, since most heroes don't care for mercenaries. Hence the personality to make them underestimate and tolerate but not like him.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
drkrash

Post by drkrash »

FuzzyBoots wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:04 pm
drkrash wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:34 pm In either case, though, the name doesn't really fit, no matter who you interpret the term "paladin." It could have been used for a much different character. I would imagine Ares agrees with me on this point.
I had never heard of that before, but I think there's a very high chance that's where the name came from. His first appearance was 1978, which means a Western from the early 60s (that was popular) was likely a bigger influence than Charlemagne or D&D. It's just unfortunate, because the name definitely now has more heroic connotations in broader geek culture.
Shadow Ops - cinematic espionage action RPG - Kickstarter live now!
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

UI actually played a version of that character named Palladin she was basically the great great great some odd grand daughter of the original gunslinger. world class educated Super strength and end and agility from a super soldier serum unfused into her at birth who basically was have gun will travel like her famous Gramps who she met in a time travel adventure :D
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Jabroniville

Mega Man 11

Post by Jabroniville »

MEGA MAN 11:
-And shockingly, there's now one more Mega Man game!!! Mega Man 11 was released in 2018, and is a very well-animated (ie. not a deliberate throwback to the NES, like the 9th & 10th games were) platformer, hitting all three major Consoles. The story, shockingly, features Dr. Wily creating ten Robot Masters, each of whom has a weapon that you can steal after you defeat them. I know, I'm staggered, too. The game introduces the "Double Gear" system, which grants Mega Man the Speed Gear (which lets him slow down time, allowing him higher defenses) and Power Gear (increases attack power)- both can overheat if used too often. Using both Gears sets off a super-shot that leaves Mega weakened afterwards. In a neat bit, arming a Robot Master's weapon will enable Mega Man to have real PHYSICAL changes, not just a color-swap, as he gains light tubes with Fuse Man's weapon, a stone helmet with Block Man's weapon, etc.

-The game seemed to do okay, but I have no idea what modern metrics in game sales look like. It was well-reviewed, as Capcom could make a game like this in their sleep at this point, and even something like the ELEVENTH formulaic platform in the series will be warmly received thirty years after the debut of the character.

These Gears are actually rather PL-affecting, but wear off after a round or two:
"Speed Gear"
Enhanced Athletics +4
Speed 1
Enhanced Defenses 2

"Power Gear"
Adds +2 to Blast Damage on everything (also allows the Powered-Up Versions that usually require a Full-Round Charge)
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

I do think Mega Man 11 is a well-made game, and the new stuff they've added is pretty neat, like the Double Gear functions, Mega Man actually changing phsyically when using a Robot Master's weapon (funnily enough, the attempted spiritual successor by Keiji Inafune himself, Mighty No. 9, tried the same thing beforehand, but well..it didn't go too well.) and the more fleshed out Robot Master movesets as well as each one having a Desperation Move using either a Speed or Power Gear depending on which one they have, thoguh besides that, it's basically "Yet Another Mega Man Game" (despite it being many years since the last one), since it doesn't introduce any new characters aside from the new Robot Masters, and the boss is Wily yet again. I wouldn't even have minded if they'd gone back to the "False Villain" thing, since at least that gives a different guy to fight before Wily. But hey, it's a Classic Mega Man game that actually has GOOD English voice acting! A shock, I know.
But yeah, the fact that it's been like 8-9 years since Mega Man 10, or, well..ANY Mega Man game makes it a welcome return.

You'd think they'd have run out of Robot Master concepts/names at this point, but I do think the new guys are pretty interesting.

Oh, also, I know you don't like statting vehicles, but it'd be nice to have a basic Wily Machine template or somesuch.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

I think there may have even been a reference to that in a Cap comic once.
Jabroniville

Block Man & Fuse Man

Post by Jabroniville »

BLOCK MAN
PL 10 (139)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA -- AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Athletics 6 (+12)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+10)
Expertise (Architecture) 8 (+8)
Intimidation 4 (+4)
Perception 3 (+3)
Technology 3 (+3)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Defensive Attack, Equipment 10 ("Nintendo Hard" Base), Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 6, Startle

Powers:
"Robot Master Frame"
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]
"Robotic Frame" Protection 8 [8]

"Block Dropper" Blast 6 (Feats: Accurate 2) (Extras: Multiattack) (Flaws: Source- Blocks) (14) -- [15]
  • AE: "Magnet!" Move Object 8 (Flaws: Limited to Ferrous Materials) (8)
"Forms Giant Stone Monster Around Him"
Reach 4 [4]
Features 4: Increased Mass 4 [4]
Protection 2 (Reduced Defenses -2) [-2]

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Block Dropper +12 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +8

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +8 (+10 Giant Monster), Fortitude --, Will +4

Complications:
Vulnerable (Chain Blast)- Blast Man's weapon does extra damage to Block Man.

Total: Abilities: 30 / Skills: 26--13 / Advantages: 21 / Powers: 61 / Defenses: 14 (139)

-Looking like a chimney with arms and legs, Block Man lives in a pretty typical "factory full of moving stuff" level, and fights using magnetic powers. Unusually, he can form a GIANT MONSTER around himself, but this actually just makes him a giant, slow-moving target that's easily beaten. He otherwise just tosses stuff at you, but he can also slow you down with some magnetic attack. The Block Dropper you get from him is an "Overhead Blast" kind of weapon, which can be tactically good at times.

Bestows the:
"Block Dropper" Blast 6 (Feats: Indirect- From Above) (Extras: Multiattack) (19) -- (20)
  • AE: "Charged Shot" Blast 6 (Feats: Indirect- From Above) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Requires Full-Round Charge) (13)

FUSE MAN
PL 10 (182)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA -- AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 2

Skills:
Athletics 6 (+12)
Intimidation 4 (+4)
Perception 3 (+3)
Technology 3 (+3)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Defensive Attack, Equipment 10 ("Nintendo Hard" Base), Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 6, Startle

Powers:
"Robot Master Frame"
Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]

"Scramble Thunder" Damage 8 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Shapeable +2, Sustained +2) (Flaws: Limited to Along Surfaces) [32]

Flight 4 (30 mph) (8) -- [9]
  • AE: Teleport 2 (Feats: Change Direction) (5)
"Live Wire" Blast 8 (Feats: Accurate) [17]
Immunity 10 (Electrical Effects) [10]

Offense:
Blast +10 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Area Damage +8 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +8

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +8, Fortitude --, Will +4

Complications:
Vulnerable (Bounce Ball)- Bounce Man's weapon does extra damage to Fuse Man.

Total: Abilities: 30 / Skills: 18--9 / Advantages: 21 / Powers: 108 / Defenses: 14 (182)

-Fuse Man has a pretty solid look- slender and tall, he looks rather "mean" as a result, and those giant electrodes sticking off of him are evocative of his "type", as well as breaking up the silhouette into something more interesting. The Boss Fight here looks INSANE, though, as he's basically creating an Area Effect that goes off at the same time as the rest of the battle, surrounding the battlefield with energy that runs along all four surfaces while Fuse Man himself bolts about at top speed, firing out Electrical Blasts. From him, you gain the same kind of surface-running attack, which has limited uses (no jumping enemies, for instance), but is good enough.

Bestows the:
"Scramble Thunder" Damage 6 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Shapeable +2) (Flaws: Limited to to Along Surfaces) (16)
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

I also like that despite them bringing back the old "Fire Guy, Electric Guy, Ice Guy, Bomb Guy" thing, the ones they came up with still manage to stand out (though Torch Man seems to be quite a bit like Magma Dragoon), and each one's perosnality stands out more because of them actually having REAL English voice actors this time, as opposed to the older PS1 games where they just got whoever could speak English that happened to be in the Japanese offices for the dub. Plus they came up with some unique new concepts, too, like Acid Man.
Jabroniville

Blast Man & Tundra Man

Post by Jabroniville »

BLAST MAN
PL 10 (142)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA -- AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 2

Skills:
Athletics 6 (+12)
Expertise (Archtecture) 8 (+8)
Intimidation 4 (+4)
Perception 3 (+3)
Technology 3 (+3)

Advantages:

Powers:
"Robot Master Frame"
Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]

Blast 8 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Diminished Range -1) (23) -- [24]
  • AE: "Chain Blast" Blast 10 (Feats: Accurate, Homing 2, Ricochet) (Quirks: Requires 1 Round to Build Up Past Blast 8 -2) (22)
Offense:
Chain Blast +10 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Bomb Toss +8 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +8

Defenses:

Complications:
Vulnerable (Blazing Torch)- Torch Man's weapon does extra damage to Blast Man.

Total: Abilities: 30 / Skills: 26--13 / Advantages: 21 / Powers: 64 / Defenses: 14 (142)

-Okay, this dude looks pretty cool. I love the thing on his helmet- a bright orange bunch of triangles, making it look like an explosion came off of his head. His stage is interesting, too- full of explosive platforms- any kind of blast or fire hitting it will set the whole thing afire, so you have to be quick (or use the "Speed Gear" to slow things down). The Mid-Boss is even a pair of roller-coaster cars that drop off a series of Mooks, and you have to beat them all, while avoiding the cars. His Boss Fight looks almost IMPOSSIBLE- just a never-ending stream of bomb tosses that go in a wide arc and then explode (covering half the bottom of the screen with explosions), followed by a Chain Blast that TRACKS YOU, adding more bombs as time goes. You gain the Chain Blast when you beat him, and can throw additional bombs into it, but that takes more time.

Bestows the:
"Chain Blast" Blast 10 (Feats: Accurate, Homing 2, Ricochet) (Quirks: Requires 1 Round to Build Up Past Blast 8 -2) (22)

TUNDRA MAN
PL 10 (142)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA -- AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 2

Skills:
Athletics 6 (+12)
Expertise (Dancing) 8 (+8)
Intimidation 4 (+4)
Perception 3 (+3)
Technology 3 (+3)

Advantages:

Powers:
"Robot Master Frame"
Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]

"Skates" Speed 2 (8 mph) [2]
"Tundra Storm" Damage 8 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Cylinder) (16) -- [17]
  • AE: "Spinning Form" Damage 8 (8)
Offense:
Tundra Storm +8 Area (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Spinning +10 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +8

Defenses:

Complications:
Vulnerable (Scramble Thunder)- Fuse Man's weapon does extra damage to Tundra Man.

Total: Abilities: 30 / Skills: 26--13 / Advantages: 21 / Powers: 59 / Defenses: 14 (142)

-Tundra Man is a flamboyant Dancer Robot, taking ballet poses and living on a level that looks INSANELY tough- tons of icy platforms, things that can knock you around, and Mega Man's worst enemy (next to spikes)... WIND! The actual boss himself doesn't seem so bad- he mainly dashes around the stage at semi-high speeds, throwing out the occasional Cylinder Area Attack. This Tundra Storm weapon, when powered-up, is one of those rare FULL-SCREEN ATTACKS, which are totally lethal in a platformer.

Bestows the:
"Tundra Storm" Damage 8 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Cylinder) (16)
  • AE: "Charged Shot" Damage 8 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst +2) (Flaws: Requires Full-Round Charge) (16)
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Ares wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:54 pm
You'd be 100% right. Much as I think Paladin is an entertaining, morally ambiguous jackass who is fun to contrast against the heroes, he's really got no business calling himself Paladin. Whether you want to go with the chivalric knights of history or the divine champions of fantasy, it's a poor fit for a lighter shades of grey mercenary character.
I believe that it's a reference to Have Gun -- Will Travel.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Lol that was mentioned last page :). I’ve never heard of it, though.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Well, it's a fairly old show, and didn't get rerun anywhere nearly as much as Bonanza or The Lone Ranger. I mostly know it from Stand by Me, which I've watched about a thousand times.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."