Wizards & Wyverns - My fantasy build thread (My D&D PCs)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Woodclaw

#10 D&D Classics: Alaria Nejemi - Human Acolyte of the Light

Post by Woodclaw »

Alaria.jpg
Alaria.jpg (65.67 KiB) Viewed 1679 times
Picture by Ayhotte

Alaria Nejemi

Race: Human; Background: Acolyte (Gods of the First Light); Class: Cleric 3rd (Light Domain)

Alignment: Neutral Good
Personality:
Alaria sees omens in any event.
Nothing can tarnish Alaria's optimism.

Ideals:
Tradition: Alaria believes that ancient rites and traditions must be honored.
Bonds:
Alaria is willing to do anything to preserve the temple where she was initiated.
Flaws:
Alaria blindly trust the hierarchy of her church.

STR: +2 (14), DEX: +1 (12), CON: +1 (13), INT: +0 (10), WIS: +3 (16), CHA: +2 (14)

Proficiency Bonus: +2
  • Saving Throws: Wisdom +5; Charism +4
  • Skills: Insight: +5; Medicine: +5; Persuasion +4; Religion +2
  • Tools: -
  • Languages: Common, Celestial, Dwarvish, Goblin
  • Weapons: Simple Weapons
  • Armors: Light, Medium and Shields
Features
  • Shelter of the Faithful: Alaria can expect free lodgings and healing at the temples of her own faith.
  • Channel Divinity (Action; 1/Short Rest): Alaria can channel divine power to use the following abilities.
    • Turn Undead: Undead within 30' of Alaria must make a DC 13 Wisdom save or be turned for 1 minute or until damaged.
    • Radiance of Dawn: Enemies within 30' of Alaria suffer 2d10+3 radiant damage, A successful DC 13 Constitution save halves the damage. She also dispels any magical darkness within the same radius.
  • Warding Flare (Reaction): Alaria can emit a flash of light to blind an attacker within 30' that is targeting her. The opponent suffers Disadvantage on its attack roll.
Combat:

Initiative: +1; Armor Class: 17 (Riveted Scale Mail [15] + Shield); Speed: 30'
Hit Points: 21; Hit Dice: 3d8

Attacks:
  • Spear (+4 to hit; 1d6+2; Versatile [1d8+2 if used with both hands], Thrown [20'/60'])
  • Shortbow (+3 to hit; 1d6+1; Range [80'/320']; Quiver with 20 arrow)
Other Equipment: Clothes (common + vestments), Backpack (Blanket, Rations [1 day], Tinderbox, Candles [10], Censer+Incense, Prayer Book), Pouch (15 gp), Amulet (holy symbol), Reliquiary (holy symbol), Waterskin
Trinket: A fan that, when unfolded, shows a sleeping cat

Spells (can prepare 6 per day, plus domain spells)
  • Cantrips: Light, Guidance, Spare the Dying, Thaumaturgy
  • 1st Level: Burning Hands (D), Faerie Fire (D), Bless, Cure Wounds, Purify Food and Drinks, Shield of Faith
  • 2nd Level: Flaming Sphere (D), Scorching Ray (D), Hold Person, Lesser Restoration

The Story So Far...
The daughter of a merchant family of Ifranian blood, Alaria was meant to take over the family business, but that never came to pass. When she was barely 7 years old her parents hit a rough spot: her father and uncle perished during a seastorm while returning from the Cyclopean Archipelago. Her mother tried her best to keep the business running, but with little success. Worried about her daughter's future, she made the only sensible decision and sent her to a monastery.
It was meant to be a temporary measure, but Alaria took this new situation in stride. Whereas many other novices were serious, dedicated and somehow somber, she was always optimistic and cheerful. Nonetheless, she performed her devotions and showed the utmost respect for the elder priests. In a few years she took her vows and moved to a cloister in the Fang Mountains, but she didn't stay for long. Her natural charisma was too much of an asset and the mother superior decided to send her back to the Free City States as a sort of goodwill ambassador.

:arrow: In my mind, Alaria is a character both wise and naive. She grew up in a monastery and so she knows very little about the world in general and tends to see the bring side of things, but she's actually pretty cautious and has tons of common sense, making her the natural heart of the team.
Last edited by Woodclaw on Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Woodclaw

#11 D&D Classics: Sirvus - High Elf Diviner

Post by Woodclaw »

Picture by unknown, if anyone has a link to the original please tell me.

Sirvus

Race: High Elf; Background: Sage (scribe); Class: Wizard 3th (Diviner)

Personality:
Nothing attracts Sirvus more than a good mystery.
Sirvus is unbelievably awkward in any social situation.

Ideals:
Beauty: Sirvus is an aesthete, he believes that beauty marks the path toward the truth.
Bonds:
Sirvus struggle to preserve the monastery where he studied.
Flaws:
Sirvus can't keep a secret even if his own life depends on it.

STR: +1 (12), DEX: +2 (14), CON: +1 (12), INT: +3 (16), WIS: +2 (14), CHA: +0 (10)

• Saving Throws: Intelligence +5, Wisdom +4
  • Skills: Arcana +5; History +5, Medicine +4, Perception +4, Religion +5
  • Tools: -
  • Languages: Common, Elven, Draconic, Orcish, Sylvan
  • Weapons: Dagger, Dart, Sling, Quarterstaff, Light Crossbow, Longsword, Shortsword, Longbow, Shortbow
  • Armors: -
Features
  • Researcher: Whenever Sirvus tries to recall a piece of lore, if he doesn't know the information, he usually knows where to find it.
  • Darkvision 30'
  • Fey ancestry. Sirvus has Advantage on saving throws against being charmed and is immune to magical sleep.
  • Trance. Sirvus doesn't need to sleep and can achieve a long rest by meditating for 4 hours.
  • Arcane Recovery (once per Long Rest). When Sirvus finishes a short rest he regain up to 2 levels of spell slots (but no spell slot over 5th level).
  • Divination Savant. Sirvus halves the cost and time required to copy any divination spell on his spellbook.
  • Portent. Sirvus has prophetic dreams. At the end of a long rest, he rolls two d20s and records the results. He can replace any attack roll, saving throw or ability check made by himself, an ally or an enemy with one of these. Each result can be used only once.
Combat:

Initiative: +2; Armor Class: 15 (Mage Armor); Speed: 30'
Hit Points: 17; Hit Dice: 3d6

Attacks:
  • Shortsword (+5 to hit; 1d6+3)
  • Ray of Frost (+6 to hit; 1d8; Range 60'; Reduce the target's speed by 10')
Other Equipment: Crystal Orb (arcane focus), Clothes (common), Backpack (Book of lore, Ink + Pen, Parchments [10], Small knife), Pouch (10 gp), Chromatic Orb Amulet
Trinket: A gold coin minted in a fallen civilization

Spells (can prepare 6 per day)
  • Cantrips: Dancing Lights, Prestidigitation, Ray of Frost, True Strike (elven)
  • 1st Level: Chromatic Orb (M), Comprehend Languages (R), Detect Magic (R), Disguise Self, Find Familiar (R), Grease, Mage Armor, Sleep
  • 2nd Level: See Invisibility, Web

The Story So Far...
There are no two ways about it: magic is part of the elven nature, but not all elves are equal in this regard and none made it more apparent of Sirvus. On one hand, he's the very picture of the classic highly intelligent and extremely knowledgable elven mage, on the other he lacks the haughtiness of his peers and is actually much more approachable despite his terrible motormouth. Like many other high Elves Sirvus, hails from the Middenland, the vast kingdom north of the Fang Mountains. Second-born of a well-off, but not particularly important, family of city dwelling elves, he started working as a scribe and copyist at the local administration, but his keen eye for details caught the attention of the wizard in service of local Markgraf, who took him as an apprentice.
Unfortunately, Sirvus's curiosity proved to be both an asset and a liability: he enjoyed spending days tracking down the most minute details of a spell or a piece of lore, but he often heard conversations he wasn't supposed to. In a particularly egregious incident, he overheard the Markgraf and his entourage and his mentor decided it was time for a change of scenery, sending the young elf to a monastery of the Gods of the First Light.
After a few years, Sirvus uncovered some important documents and left the monastery alongside one of the nuns and a dwarven warrior-lady.

:arrow: Sirvus is meant to be played pretty much like Velma of the Scooby Gang.
Last edited by Woodclaw on Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Woodclaw

#12 D&D Classics: Benny - Lightfoot Burglar

Post by Woodclaw »

Picture by Will O'Brien

Beneventus "Benny" Trivialis

Race: Lightfoot Halfling; Background: Criminal (Burglar); Class: Rogue 3th (Thief)

Alignment: Chaotic Good
Personality:
Benny always has a plan B, just in case, things go south.
Benny much prefers to make new friends, rather than new enemies.

Ideals:
People: Benny stopped believing in ideals a long time ago, but he never stopped believing in persons.
Bonds:
In actual fact, Benny's ill-gotten gains go toward feeding his relatives.
Flaws:
If there is a plan, you can be sure that Benny would forget about it.

STR: +0 (10), DEX: +3 (16), CON: +0 (10), INT: +0 (10), WIS: +2 (14), CHA: +2 (14)

• Saving Throws: Dexterity +5, Intelligence +2
  • Skills: Acrobatics +5, Deception +4, Investigation +2, Perception* +6, Sleight of Hand +5, Stealth* +7
  • Tools: Playing Cards, Thives' tools
  • Languages: Common, Halfling
  • Weapons: All Simple, Hand Crossbow, Longsword, Rapier, Shortsword
  • Armors: Light
Features
  • Criminal Contact. Benny still has a reliable contact that acts as liaison to larger criminal networks. He knows how to get in touch with him over great distances, through local messengers, caravan masters or seedy sailors.
  • Small. Due to his size, Benny can't use Heavy weapons.
  • Brave. Benny had Advantage on saving throws against being frightened.
  • Halfling Nimbleness. Benny can move through spaces occupied by larger creatures.
  • Lucky. Benny can re-roll a 1 on an attack roll, ability check or saving throw. He must use the new result.
  • Naturally Stealthy. Benny can attempt to hide behind any creature at least one size larger than him.
  • Sneak Attack (once per Turn). When fighting with a Dexterity-based weapon, Benny can inflict +2d6 damage against any opponent he has Advantage against or that is already engaged with another enemy.
  • Cunning Action + Fast Hands (Bonus Action). Benny can use his bonus action to Dash, Disengage, Hide, Pick a lock, Remove a trap, Pickpocket or Use an item.
  • Thieves' Cant. Benny can convey secret messages during a normal conversation, provided the recipient also knows this code.
  • Second Story Work. Climbing doesn't cost extra movement to Benny and he adds +3' to his running jumps.
Combat:

Initiative: +3; Armor Class: 15 (Double Woven Gambeson); Speed: 25'
Hit Points: 21; Hit Dice: 3d8

Attacks:
  • Shortsword (+5 to hit; 1d6+3)
  • Dagger (2) (+5 to hit; 1d4+3; Thrown [20'/60']; 1d4 if used in the off-hand)
  • Light Crossbow (+5 to hit; 1d8+3; Range [80'/320']; Loading, Case with 20 bolts)
Other Equipment: Clothes (dark), Backpack (Blanket, Rations [5 days], Tinderbox, Bag of ball bearings, Twine, Little bell, Crowbar, Pitons [10], Lantern + Oil [2 flasks]), Waterskin
Trinket: A nightcap that, when worn, gives pleasant dreams

The Story So Far...
According to his mother, Beneventus Trivialis was trouble from the minute he was born. Giving birth is usually a pretty long process for a Halfling and the labor can go on for many hours, but this was not Benny's case: by the time the midwife arrived, he was already trying to gain his freedom and, since then, he never stopped. At 8 he hitched a ride on a hay cart toward the nearest town, at 12 he was actually able to put together enough money to go to the city of Old Port to get his mom a big present for her birthday. Despite this wanderlust, Benny always returned home and, every time, took his punishment without much complaining... but it didn't last. When he was around 18 he started to fall with a bad company and, before he knew it, he was learning how to pick locks and pockets.
It was just a game, a dare, until one night Benny was asked to go and rob an old widow with 3 kids. In spite of his many moral shortcomings, Benny would never stand for something like that, so while looking for a way out he spotted a trio of armed strangers and tried to use them to cover his escape. It worked... kind of. The strangers made short work of Benny's former accomplices, but nabbed him as well. It took every bit of his trademark Halfling luck and silver tongue to convince them not to turn him over to the city watch... but this is how friendships start, right?

:arrow: Benny is the classic, loveable rogue with a heart of gold. He's much more serious than he appears, despite is a natural disposition toward chaos.
Last edited by Woodclaw on Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:08 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Woodclaw

Re: Wizards & Wyverns - My fantasy build thread (D&D Classic Fours)

Post by Woodclaw »

These four guys are 1/3 of my pre-made demo characters.

One of my personal rules is to test every new edition of D&D by remaking the classic 4 roles from ye olde red box to see how they measure up.

Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Seems like solid basis of a D&D crew. Fighter/Healer/Mage/Thief. I guess they're low-level, because the Mage doesn't seem to have a lot of hitting power just yet. The Halfling talking himself out of getting arrested is a pretty good origin story, and makes the "Halfling Thief" thing less of a "Kender" type character.

What is a Battlemaster, and how is that different from a regular Fighter?
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:08 am Seems like solid basis of a D&D crew. Fighter/Healer/Mage/Thief. I guess they're low-level, because the Mage doesn't seem to have a lot of hitting power just yet. The Halfling talking himself out of getting arrested is a pretty good origin story, and makes the "Halfling Thief" thing less of a "Kender" type character.

What is a Battlemaster, and how is that different from a regular Fighter?
In 5th Edition there are no more "regular" classes, all characters picks a specialization within level 3. A Battlemaster is a fighter that specialize in tactical control of the battlefield, using a number of Manuvers to get the upper hand. These range from disarming an opponent as part of another attack to allowing his comrades to move or act out of turn.
The other two PHB specializations are the Champion (a super-physical fighter, almost a barbarian) and the Eldritch Knight (a warrior-spellcaster hybrid).

MisterB

Post by MisterB »

Your builds make 5th Edition very appealing, but there's a few aspects about 5th edition that make me hesitant. but I'm still on the look out for a 5th edition campaign that will make it interesting.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

MisterB wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:21 pm Your builds make 5th Edition very appealing, but there's a few aspects about 5th edition that make me hesitant. but I'm still on the look out for a 5th edition campaign that will make it interesting.
What is that makes you hesitant?

MisterB

Post by MisterB »

My biggest concern is the use of the advantage/disadvantage system for every circumstance. Eventually you may end up with a circumstance where a situation that has multiple advantages. What happens then?

I'm not a big fan of the simplified skill system. I'd want a little more complexity.

I'm not a big fan of the feat application because of some of the prior concerns above.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

MisterB wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:47 pm My biggest concern is the use of the advantage/disadvantage system for every circumstance. Eventually you may end up with a circumstance where a situation that has multiple advantages. What happens then?
Going by the basic rules Advantage/Disadvantage is a binary condition, stacking multiples have no effect and they cancel each other out. A common HR is that they cancel on a 1-to-1 base instead, so if you have two Advantage and one Disadvantage you keep you advantage and viceversa.
MisterB wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:47 pm I'm not a big fan of the simplified skill system. I'd want a little more complexity.

I'm not a big fan of the feat application because of some of the prior concerns above.
The skill system take a while to get used to, but I think that the idea behind it is that "skills" are only those that don't require tools. For example, it's impossible to forge a weapon or pick a lock without tools, so those are profiencies instead of skills. On the other hand persuading someone doesn't require tools per se, so it's a skill.

MisterB

Post by MisterB »

I don't want to dismiss fifth edition out of hand. But I found converting my campaign to 5 very frustrating. The feats seem over useful, but I do like you don't have tons if them anymore. There's a level of detail and complexity I do prefer in 3e.
Woodclaw

#13 D&D Wilds: Raghdall - Half-Orc Hunter

Post by Woodclaw »

Picture by thatDMan

Raghdall "Dog Speaker"

Race: Half-Orc (elven blood); Background: Folk Hero; Class: Ranger 3rd (Beastmaster)

Personality:
Raghdall prefer to judge people by their actions, not their words.
Raghdall prefers action to thinking.

Ideals:
Truth: According to Raghdall nothing good ever comes from pretending to be something he isn't.
Bonds:
On the other hand, Draugvaar would lay down his life for his companions without hesitation.
Flaws:
Raghdall has a real weakness for city vices, especially hard rye whiskey.

STR: +3 (16), DEX: +2 (14), CON: +2 (14), INT: +0 (10), WIS: +1 (12), CHA: +0 (10)

• Saving Throws: Strength +5; Dexterity +4
  • Skills: Animal Handling +3; Intimidation +2; Perception +3; Stealth +4, Survival +3
  • Tools: Land Vehicles, Woodcarver's Tools
  • Languages: Common, Orc, Elven, Worg
  • Weapons: All Simple and Martial
Features
  • Rustic Hospitality. Thanks to his past good deeds, Raghdall can easily find shelter among the common folk. They will hide him, even from the law, unless this puts them in immediate danger.
  • Darkvision. 60'.
  • Relentless Endurance (1 per Long Rest). When reduced to 0 hp, but not outright killed, Raghdall drops to 1 hp instead.
  • Savage Attack. When Raghdall scores a critical hit with a melee weapon he can roll the weapon damage dice one additional time.
  • Favored Enemy (Beasts). Raghdall has Advantage on checks to track his favored enemies or recall information about them.
  • Natural Explorer (Forest): Raghdall doubles his Proficiency Bonus for all Intelligence or Wisdom checks related to his favored terrain, if he has traveled the region for at least 1 hour.
  • Fighting Style (Defense). Raghadall gains a +1 AC while wearing any armor.
  • Primeval Awareness. Raghdall can spend one spell slot to sense the presence of unnatural creature within a radius equal to the slot level in miles (twice as much in his favored terrain). He can't sense the exact location, only their presence.
  • Ranger's Companion (Cormac the warhound). Raghdall's most loyal friend is an orc's warhound, a gift from his uncle. Cormac acts on Raghdall's initiative. Unless ordered to, he would simply Dodge and take his Reaction (usually an opportunity attack). Raghdall can order him to move (no action), attack (by renouncing to one of his own attacks), Dash, Disengage or Help (as Bonus Action).
Combat:

Initiative: +2; Armor Class: 16 (Brigandine and Gambeson); Speed: 30'
Hit Points: 28; Hit Dice: 3d10

Attacks:
  • Hunting Spear (+5 to hit; 1d10+3; Reach, Two-handed)
  • Longbow (+4 to hit; 1d8+2; Range [150'/600'], Quiver with 20 arrows)
Other Equipment: Clothes (common), Backpack (Blanket, Rations [10 days], Tinderbox, Mess kit, Torches [10], Rope [50'], Woodcarver's Tools, Cooking Pot), Pouch (10 gp), Waterskin
Trinket: An indecipherable treasure map

Spells (alway prepared)
  • 1st Level (3 slots). Ensnaring Strike, Fog Cloud, Hunter's Mark

The Story So Far...
Sometimes war creates the strangest circumstances and such was the case of how Raghdall's parents met. His father was an orc horse wrangler, who lived in that uncertain region that is the frontier north of the Balikai Lake. After a particularly brutal winter, a number of tribes of the Red Horde crossed the border and raided many villages in search for food. Many settlers became refugees and several villages started to mingle during the long trek north-west toward the forests. Somehow, someway, the old orc's skill with the animals caught the eye of an elven huntress and... well, do I have to draw you a picture?
Unfortunately for Raghdall, his father died when he was little -- orcs rarely live more than 45 years and Raghdall's dad was already 39 -- so he grew up with his mother, that taught him all about hunting and living in the woods. A few years later, Raghdall put those skills at good use, traveling with his half-brother "Ten Arrows" and two other friends to bring supplies to a number of villages during a terrible winter storm. This made him something of a hero -- he hates being called that -- and won him the gratitude of the common folk of the north.
Due to his mixed blood, Raghdall has been bullied by elves his entire life. Over the years he learned to ignore them... most of the time. Recently, after a memorable bender in a river town, he went into a fisticuffs with an elf covered in tattoos, until a talking lizard stopped them and this was the same part of the story.

:arrow: Raghdall was originally an NPC for another character's backstory, but I like the overall character too much to leave it at that.
Last edited by Woodclaw on Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Woodclaw

#14 D&D Wilds: Draugvaar - Wood Elf Totem Warrior

Post by Woodclaw »

Picture by Paul "PRDart" Davies

Draugvaar

Race: Wood Elf; Background: Sailor (riverboat pilot); Class: Barbarian 3rd (Path of the Totem)

Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Personality:
Draugvaar's language is more foul than a otyugh's nest.
Being bravery or madness, Draugvaar can stare down a hellhound without flinching.

Ideals:
Live and Let Live: Draugvaar thinks that ideals aren't simply worth enough to fight, or die, for them.
Bonds:
On the other hand, Draugvaar would lay down his life for his companions without hesitation.
Flaws:
Draugvaar's pride would probably be his undoing.

STR: +2 (14), DEX: +2 (14), CON: +2 (14), INT: +0 (11), WIS: +1 (13), CHA: +0 (10)

• Saving Throws: Strength +4; Constitution +4
  • Skills: Athletics +4; Intimidation +2; Nature +2; Perception +3; Survival +3
  • Tools: Navigator Tools, Water Vehicles
  • Languages: Common, Elven
  • Weapons: All Simple and Martial
Features
  • Ship's Passage: Draugvaar can easily secure free passage on sailing ships for his party, either offering his services as a navigator or calling in old favors.
  • Darkvision. 60'.
  • Fey ancestry. Draugvaar has Advantage on saving throws against being charmed and is immune to magical sleep.
  • Trance. Draugvaar doesn't need to sleep and can achieve a long rest by meditating for 4 hours.
  • Mask of the Wild. Draugvaar can attempt to hide while he's only lightly obscured by the natural environment or the climate.
  • Rage (Bonus Action; 3 per Long Rest): When Draugvaar flew into berserker rage, he gains Advantage to Strength-based checks and saves, +2 damage on all melee attacks and Resistance to bludgeon, piercing and slashing damage. The rage lasts 1 minute or until he passes an entire round with being hit or attacking an opponent in melee.
  • Reckless Attack. Draugvaar can gain Advantage on all his melee attacks for 1 round, but he also provides Advantage to all attacks against him.
  • Danger Sense. Draugvaar has Advantage on Dexterity saves against visible dangers.
  • Spirit Seeker. Draugvaar can cast Beast Senses and Speak with Animals as rituals.
  • Path of the Totem (wolf). While raging Draugvaar inspires his allies to fight with more ferocity, providing Advantage to all allies' attacks against opponents within 5' of him.
Combat:

Initiative: +2; Armor Class: 16 (Unarmored [14] + Shield); Speed: 35'
Hit Points: 32; Hit Dice: 3d12

Attacks:
  • Messer (+4 to hit; 1d8+2; Versatile [1d10+2 if used with both hands])
  • Handaxe (3) (+4 to hit; 1d6+2; Throw [20'/60'])
Other Equipment: Clothes (common), Backpack (Blanket, Rations [10 days], Tinderbox, Mess kit, Torches [10], Rope [50']), Pouch (10 gp), Totem (wolf fangs necklace), Lucky charm (eyepatch), Navigator's Tools, Waterskin
Trinket: An old divination card bearing his likeness

The Story So Far...
The mighty Rjuld River is, probably, the longest waterway of all Eanide and his many tributaries form one of the most important mercantile routes for Middenland, Navarre and the Northen Marches. Unfortunately, the territory north of the river is wild, untamed all available maps are incomplete at best. To navigate this maze of channels and bogs there's only one option: hire a Fir Boig, the elves of the Bog People. These northern elves are part of the vast Fir Soar (Free People) confederation and couldn't be more different from their haughty cousins of the Middenland. Thanks to their long lives, many Fir Boig had plenty of time to explore the waterways of the Marches and Draugvaar was one of them.
Although not above engaging in the occasional act of piracy, Draugvaar was overall a decent person, until he learned the hard way that it just wasn't enough. His first barge was destroyed by a Middener patrol looking for some smugglers, his heart and all his money went down with it. Furious, he stroke down two soldiers before leaping into the river and fleeing. To this day, he has no idea for how long he wandered aimlessly until he was found by a family of Fir Cudd (Hidden People) gnomes, who nursed him back to health. In time, he learned to focus his rage and returned to his people, to undergo the path of a spiritual warrior.
When the daughter of his saviors asked for his help, he departed immediately but, along the way, he went into a fisticuff with a half-orc hunter...

:arrow: Draugvaar was something of an old pet peeve of mine: the idea that elves can't be barbarians because the "need" to be somewhat sophisticated.
Last edited by Woodclaw on Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Woodclaw

#15 D&D Wilds: Argos - Green Dragonborn Storyteller, Initiate of the Old Faith

Post by Woodclaw »

Picture by unknown

Argos of the Green

Race: Dragonborn (Green); Background: Entertainer (storyteller); Class: Druid 3rd (Forest Circle)

Alignment: Lawful Good
Personality:
Argos really loves a good bit of insult, even when he's the victim.
Argos put no stock in wealth, in his own words, "Money won't save you from an angry owlbear."

Ideals:
Tradition: Argos consider his duty and call to preserve old tales and songs.
Bonds:
Dragonborns are few and scattered in Eanide, so Argos really craves the company of his clanmates.
Flaws:
Once, Argos made fun of the lord of Alaria blindly trust the hierarchy of her church.

STR: +1 (12), DEX: +1 (12), CON: +2 (14), INT: +0 (10), WIS: +2 (14), CHA: +2 (14)

• Saving Throws: Intelligence +2; Wisdom +5
  • Skills: Acrobatics +3; Animal Handling +4; Nature +2; Performance +4
  • Tools: Disguise Kit, Herbalist's Kit, Harp
  • Languages: Common, Draconic, Druidic
  • Weapons: Club, Dagger, Dart, Javelin, Mace, Quaterstaff, Scimitar, Sickle, Sling, Spear
Features
  • By Popular Demand: Argos can easily find places to perform and, in exchange, expect decent lodgings in such establishments. Also, he's something of a local celebrity.
  • Draconic Bloodline (green): Argos has Resistance to Poison damage.
  • Dragon Breath (action; 1 per Short Rest): Like his distant ancestors, Argos can exhale a cloud of poisonous gas (2d6 poison damage; 15' cone; DC 12 DEX halve).
  • Wild Shape (Action; 4 hours per Short Rest): Argos can assume the guise of any land-based animal he's familiar with (maximum CR 1/4). In this form, he can't speak.
  • Natural Recovery (once per Long Rest): When Argos finishes a short rest he regain up to 2 levels of spell slots (but no spell slot over 5th level).
Combat:

Initiative: +1; Armor Class: 15 (Bulette's Hide Armor [13] + Shield); Speed: 30'
Hit Points: 24; Hit Dice: 3d8

Attacks:
  • Quaterstaff (+3 to hit; 1d6+1; Versatile [1d8+2 if used with both hands])
  • Shillelagh (+4 to hit; 1d8+2; Magical)
  • Produce Flame (+4 to hit; 1d8; 30'; may set stuff on fire)
Other Equipment: Clothes (common + stage costume), Backpack (Blanket, Rations [10 days], Tinderbox, Mess kit, Torches [10], Rope [50']), Pouch (15 gp), Memento from a devoted fan (lock of hair), Waterskin
Trinket: A pipe that blows bubbles

Spells (can prepare 5 per day, plus circle spells)
  • Cantrips: Druidcraft, Produce Flame, Shillelagh
  • 1st Level (4 slots). Animal Friendship, Create/Destroy Water, Cure Wounds, Entangle, Goodberries
  • 2nd Level (2 slots). Barkskin (D), Spider Climb (D), Lesser Restoration, Spike Growth

The Story So Far...
Dragonborns, or Draconians, are a pretty rare breed in the northern continent of Eanide and most of them live in the coastal regions of Navarre or in the Free City-States. Although born in Navarre himself, Argos felt the call of the untamed forests of the Northen Marches ever since he could lay an eye on them. The blood of his ancestors -- the green dragons -- also gifted him with a good memory for song and stories, which lead him to the mysteries of the Old Faith. As customary, he was first taught the old songs and legends and, when he had learned them by heart, he was initiated to the higher mysteries of earth and water. After his initiation, he set on the road and nobody was surprised when he marched, staff in hand, toward the Marches.
Ever since crossing the Rjuld River, Argos had his hands full and, being a 6' and something tall lizard, has made him quite the celebrity. The Old Faith is still strong in these remote lands and initiates like him perform double duties as magistrates and healers. during one of his most recent outings, Argos was forced to physically separate a half-orc and an elf, who were at each other's throat. This lead to an unforeseen series of events and now the three of them are traveling together to Northagen.

:arrow: Argos is, for all intents and purposes, a totally sub-optimal character, but I really wanted to see how he would work and I'm not ashamed of the result.
Last edited by Woodclaw on Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Woodclaw

#16 D&D Wilds: Elah - Forest Gnome Witch of Wilds

Post by Woodclaw »

Elah Silvadottir

Race: Forest Gnome; Background: Outlander (merchant); Class: Sorcerer 3rd (Wild Magic)

Alignment: Chaotic Good
Personality:
Elah picks up and fiddles with any small item around, sometimes breaking them.
Elah puts no stock in wealthy or well-mannered folks.

Ideals:
Change: Elah sees life as an ever-changing journey, she strives to change with it, as the seasons do.
Bonds:
Elah considers any injury to the unspoiled wilderness of the north a personal attack.
Flaws:
Elah lives life to the fullest, caution be damned.

STR: +0 (10), DEX: +3 (16), CON: +1 (10), INT: +1 (13), WIS: +0 (10), CHA: +2 (14)

• Saving Throws: Constitution +3; Charisma +4
  • Skills: Arcana +3, Athletics +2, Persuasion +4, Survival +2
  • Tools: Flute
  • Languages: Common, Gnomish, Dwarvish
  • Weapons: Dagger, Dart, Sling, Qauterstaff, Light Crossbow
  • Armors: -
Features
  • Wanderer. Elah has an excellent memory for maps and geography and she can easily recall the general layout of the terrain around her. She is also able to find food and water for herself and up to five companions provided the region offers enough resources.
  • Small. Due to her size, Elah can't use heavy weapons.
  • Darkvision. 60'.
  • Gnome Cunning. Elah has Advantage on all Intelligence, Wisdom and Charisma saving throws against magic.
  • Font of Magic. Elah has 3 Sorcery Points per Long Rest. She can generate more by sacrificing a spell slot (a number equal to the slot's level) or use them to create new slots.
  • Metamagic. Elah can modify her spells in the following ways.
    • Distant Spell. Spending 1 Sorcery Pointy Elah can double the range of any of her spells. If it's touch range, it gets a range of 30'.
    • Subtle Spell. Spending 1 Sorcery Point Elha can cast a spell without speaking or gesturing.
  • Wild Magic Surge. every time Elah cast a spell of 1st level or higher, there's a 1 in 20 chance of unforeseen (and often humorous) side effects.
  • Tides of Chaos (once per Long Rest or see below). Elah can gain Advantage on any attack roll, ability check or saving throw. After she does so, the DM might enforce an automatic Wild Magic Surge, if he does she regains this feature without resting.
Combat:

Initiative: +3; Armor Class: 13 (unarmored); Speed: 25'
Hit Points: 17; Hit Dice: 3d8

Attacks:
  • Dagger (2) (+5 to hit; 1d4+3; Throw [20'/60'])
  • Sling (+5 to hit; 1d4+3; Range [30'/120'], Bag with 20 bullets)
Other Equipment: Wand (spellcasting focus), Clothes (traveller), Backpack (Blanket, Rations [10 days], Tinderbox, Mess kit, Torches [10], Rope [50'], Bear trap), Hunting trophy (fang earrings), Pouch (10 gp), Waterskin
Trinket: A shard of obsidian that always feels warm to the touchp

Spells (alway prepared)
  • Cantrips. Mage Hand, Mending, Message, Shocking Grasp, Minor Illusion (gnome, INT based)
  • 1st Level (4 slots). Burning Hands, Shield
  • 2nd Level (2 slots). Darkness, Web

The Story So Far...
The Fir Cudd -- or Hidden People -- are a number of closely related clans of gnomes and dwarves that live beyond the Rjuld River. While many live in normal settlements a few groups roam across the Northen Marches throughout the year, especially those who practice the arcane arts. These people are often on the move to provide help to various remote settlements, but there is also a very practical reason: the inherent danger of untrained spellcasters. Unfortunately, this has lead to a rather unfair costume, when a child manifests such unusual abilities, the family must find a suitable tutor or leave the village... as it was the case of Elah's parents. To tell the truth, this wasn't a big sacrifice, they were already wandering merchants, but it sure took a toll on them and shaped how their daughter saw the world. Being constantly on the move, unable to stop in any given place for more than a few days at a time taught Elah how to make friends fast, but not much in the way of manners. Even now, after so many years she is still a little wild child at heart, in love with the beauty of the woods and capable of making friends easily with a smile and a belch.
A few years ago, the family was traveling along the River, when they found a feverish elf wandering aimlessly and shouting curses at the sky. After knocking him down -- for everyone's safety, including his own -- they nursed him back to health. When Elah found herself in a pinch recently she knew who to call.

:arrow: Elah swinged from halfling to gnome and back again multiple times. This is by no means the final version.