Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Byrrah

Post by Jabroniville »

BYRRAH
Created By:
Bill Everett & Jimmy Thompson
First Appearance: Marvel Mystery Comics #82 (May 1947)
Role: Would-Be Usurper, Royal Rival
Group Affiliations: Atlantis
PL 8 (124)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 3 (+9)
Deception 4 (+7)
Expertise (Atlantean Soldier) 6 (+8)
Expertise (Atlantean Royalty) 4 (+6)
Insight 2 (+5)
Intimidation 1 (+4)
Perception 2 (+5)
Persuasion 3 (+6)
Stealth 1 (+4)
Vehicles 2 (+5)

Advantages:
Benefit 2 (Atlantean Royalty), Equipment 2, Favoured Environment (Underwater), Ranged Attack 5

Powers:
"Atlantean Physiology"
Swimming 6 (30 mph) [6]

Immunity 3 (Drowning, Cold, Pressure) [3]
Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation- Aquatic) [2]
Senses 1 (Low-Light Vision) [1]
Protection 1 [1]

"Power-Pike" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [10]
Blast 8 (16 points)

Equipment:
"Net" Snare 5 (Flaws: Limited to One Use) (5) -- (6)
  • AE: "Sword/Battle-Axe" Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Reach) (2)
Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Trident +9 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Power-Pike +8 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +6, Fortitude +7, Will +4

Complications:
Responsibility (Atlantis)
Rivalry (Namor)- Byrrah sought the throne of Atlantis for years, opposing and fighting the "Half-Breed", Prince Namor. Eventually, however, he allied with his cousin.
Weakness (Lack of Water)- If left without water, Atlanteans will grow progressively weaker. After a long period of time, they will becoming Fatigued, Impaired, Disabled, Stunned, etc. (in addition to dropping Strength & Stamina consistently). They will also suffocate after 10 minutes outside of water, unless they have a special helmet or serum.

Total: Abilities: 68 / Skills: 28--14 / Advantages: 10 / Powers: 23 / Defenses: 9 (124)

-Byrrah is another Prince of Atlantis, being a cousin to Namor going WAY back. He and Namor were once close friends, but grew into being rivals after they left childhood- Byrrah was a vocal instigator against the "half-breed", whom he felt was unfit to rule. Eventually, Byrrah used a mind control device to force the Atlanteans to choose him over the travelling Namor, then allied with the warlords Attuma & Krang- Namor unseated all of them and exiled Byrrah. Later, with Krang & Dr. Dorcas, Byrrah attempted to turn public sentiment against Namor, but failed again. Next, he teamed up with Llyra and the Badoon, but eventually the two cousins reconciled, and Namor pardoned Byrrah's crimes. Byrrah's last appearances seem to be of him helping Namor found new places for the Atlanteans to stay, and opposing Attuma's forces.

-Byrrah seemed to be a typical Atlantean, but was more manipulative and a slightly better fighter, adding up to a PL 7.5-ish guy.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds (Pumyra! Bengali! Lynx-O! Mumm-Ra! Namor Builds!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Woodclaw wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:46 pm My personal pet-peeve with Namor is that the most consistent elements of his personality are the negative ones.
No matter how many times this author or that author tries to give him a more positive push, we always go back to him being a jerk, often for no real reason. For example, in Namor's 1990 personal series there was a really good moment when he discovered that a group of homeless people was using an Oracle Inc. warehouse as a shelter. When one of his execs tried to force them out, Namor fired him on the spot and converted the structure to proper shelter, based on the fact that he had been a hobo for some time, after suffering amnesia.

In my eyes, the big issue is that most of the time Namor is meant to be a Conan-like figure, a barbarian king with a very simple a straightforward outlook on life... which is something that really doesn't work with present-day storytelling.
The trouble with the double-whammy of him being a Movie Monster villain in his DEBUT, and him very rarely having his own solo book, meaning his negative attributes are often the only ones seen.
JDRook

Post by JDRook »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:14 am
Woodclaw wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:46 pmIn my eyes, the big issue is that most of the time Namor is meant to be a Conan-like figure, a barbarian king with a very simple a straightforward outlook on life... which is something that really doesn't work with present-day storytelling.
The trouble with the double-whammy of him being a Movie Monster villain in his DEBUT, and him very rarely having his own solo book, meaning his negative attributes are often the only ones seen.
Ever since you compared him to Godzilla and King Kong I've had "Namor: the Littlest Kaiju" stuck in my head.
Jabroniville

Leonard McKenzie

Post by Jabroniville »

CAPTAIN LEONARD McKENZIE
Created By:
Bill Everett
First Appearance: Motion Picture Funnies Weekly (April 1939)
Role: Namor's Father

-Leonard McKenzie is Namor's father, and is really only known to me for that fact- being the "Human sea captain" who sired the Avenging Son, who never seemed to know his father, nor respect much of the surface world. Surprisingly, he both returned in semi-modern times and has a dozen retcons added in. The whole story is that his ship, The Oracle, was hunting for Vibranium in the Antarctic waters, and that's what brought him into contact with the curious Princess Fen. Taking her under his care, McKenzie taught her English and fell in love with her. However, during their wedding ceremony, Atlanteans under General Krang attacked the vessel and seemingly killed him. He is successfully stowed away by Fen, returning to human civilization with nobody believing his story. He pops up in a couple of contradictory stories in the Golden Age, encountering Namor once or twice.

-Eventually, Leonard remarries in Boston, having a son named Lawrence before his second wife dies. Struggling with memory loss, he's taken in by a charlatan, and freed by Namor, but neither man recognizes the other. It was only later that they successfully reunited amidst tragedy, as they were abducted by Llyra & Tiger Shark- McKenzie is killed by Tiger Shark not long after the two briefly reconcile. Leonard's son would later have a child of his own, with Leon becoming the eco-terrorist Black Moray, who himself impregnated Llyra, who had Namor's sorta-clone Llyron as a result.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Lady Dorma

Post by Jabroniville »

Hahaha, apparently that last one is legitimately how she looked in the Golden Age.

LADY DORMA
Created By:
Bill Everett
First Appearance: Motion Picture Funnies Weekly (April 1939)
Role: Hero's Girlfriend
PL 7 (97)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 6 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 1 (+7)
Expertise (Atlantean Soldier) 5 (+8)
Expertise (Royalty) 4 (+7)
Intimidation 4 (+4)
Perception 3 (+3)
Stealth 1 (+4)
Vehicles 2 (+5)

Advantages:
Equipment 2 (Atlantean Weapons), Favoured Environment (Underwater), Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Atlantean Physiology"
Swimming 6 (30 mph) [6]

Protection 1 [1]

Equipment:
"Thrown Trident" Strength-Damage +1 (Extras: Ranged 7) (Diminished Range -1) (8) -- (10)
  • AE: "Net" Snare 5 (Flaws: Limited to One Use) (5)
  • AE: "Trident" Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Reach) (2)
Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Trident +6 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Thrown Trident +6 (+7 Ranged Damage, DC 22)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +6, Fortitude +6, Will +6

Complications:
Responsibility (Atlantis)- Dorma is a member of the Royal Family of Atlantis, which makes her the target of a never-ending line of usurpers.
Weakness (Lack of Water)- If left without water, Dorma will grow progressively weaker. After a long period of time, she will becoming Fatigued, Impaired, Disabled, Stunned, etc. (in addition to dropping Strength & Stamina consistently).
Relationship (Namor)- The cousins were close as children, and she fell in love with him when they got older. Namor, however, only loved Betty Dean, a surface-worlder. Later, he loved Susan Storm, and Dorma tried to have The Invisible Girl killed. Finally the two ended up becoming lovers and allies.

Total: Abilities: 60 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 13 / Defenses: 7 (97)

-Dorma is a bit of an interesting background character in Namor's history, but she suffers from the fate of many Atlantean characters, in that they end up in this repeating arc of random characterization switches, random relationships, and then all of a sudden going back to the status quo. Namor's GIRLFRIENDS suffer from this more than anything else, and usually end up dead. Dorma here was a rival with Betty Dean & Susan Storm when Namor had his Air-Breather Fetish going on (even trying to drown Sue), but then turned into an ally and lover at some point. Finally, in the 1960s, she married Namor. Then of course she died, suffocating in air while saving Namor from the evil madwoman Llyra. Namor has worse luck that freaking Magnum, P.I. with crap like that.

-Not really a major fighter, Dorma packs the usual Atlantean stats, but with some added charisma and intelligence.

Alternate Universe Lady Dorma is best Lady Dorma.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

And yes, as Koroko notes, I've been waiting AGES to build Byrrah. Just one of those things... I had his name (from Spectrum's "List") for years, always remembering it because it was so odd, and when I finally got to the "B" section of The List... I realized he was a NAMOR supporting character, and I was planning on re-posting those characters at some point, so I decided he had to wait. So this one blank spot has sat on the "B" section since FEBRUARY 2018, because my OCD wouldn't allow me to post him until I was good and ready, lol. Because after all... when I inevitably DID post Namor Builds... I'd have had to post him AGAIN.

Another odd and annoying thing about the Namor Builds is that the important cast is so small that EVERY CHARACTER ends up inexorably tied together. This whole day was mostly just posting mini-bios instead of builds, but did you notice how many of them involve like... five other names of random Atlanteans? It makes it hard to do a bio of one character without immediately following up with the next one, as mentioning random names like "Warlord Krang" or "Byrrah" is meaningless without context.
Jabroniville

Destiny (Paul Destine)

Post by Jabroniville »

DESTINY I (Paul Destine, aka Mentallo II)
Created By:
Archie Goodwin & Gene Colan
First Appearance: Tales to Astonish #101 (March 1968)
Role: Psionic Villain, Retcon Character
Group Affiliations: None
PL 12 (193)
STRENGTH
1/11 STAMINA 2/12 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Deception 4 (+8)
Expertise (History) 4 (+6)
Persuasion 4 (+8)

Advantages:
Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"The Serpent Crown" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [123]
Enhanced Strength 10 (20)
Enhanced Stamina 10 (20)
Immunity 1 (Aging) (1)

"Earthquake" Damage 12 (Extras: Area- 120ft. Burst +3) (48) -- (51)
  • AE: Move Object 16 (32)
  • AE: Illusion (Visual & Hearing) 12 (36)
  • AE: Mystical Blast 18 (Extras: Penetrating 8) (44)
Mind Control 12 (Extras: Continuous) (60) -- (61)
  • AE: "Even Through the TV" Mind Control 12 (Extras: Continuous, Area- Visual Perception) (Flaws: Touch Range -2) (48)
-- (143 points)

"Innate Telepathy" Mind-Reading 4 [8]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+1 Damage, DC 17)
Serpent Crown +6 (+11 Damage, DC 26)
Mystical Blast +6 (+18 Ranged Damage, DC 33)
Earthquake +12 Area (+12 Damage, DC 27)
Mind Control -- (+12 Perception-Ranged Affliction, DC 22)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +2 (+12 Serpent Crown), Fortitude +2 (+12 Crown), Will +6

Complications:
Motivation (Power)- Destine was initially just looking for money, but the Serpent Crown gave him delusions of grandeur.

Total: Abilities: 44 / Skills: 12--6 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 131 / Defenses: 7 (193)

-Huh- this guy from "The List" is not only a NAMOR villain, but actually the FIRST Destiny. Paul Destine was a telepath who worked for a circus as "Mentallo" in the 1910s. Curious about his innate powers, he read up on the history of magic, and discovered a legendary race, The Ancients, who had mastered telepathy. It turned out that these people were ancient Lemurians, and so he booked passage on the Oracle, a boat captained by Leonard McKenzie- this mission would lead to Leonard meeting and marrying Princess Fen, who gave birth to Namor as a result. And, in a big retcon (1968 and they're already doing this at Marvel), Destine tried to power-up his abilities and caused the avalanche that hurt McKenzie in the first place. Destine disappeared, but discovered the Serpent Crown. Calling it the "Helmet of Power" (it was covered by a shell), he gained strength, size, and further power.

-Initially seeking only fame, Destine was warped by the Crown, now wanting to rule the world once he went into hibernation to build more power. He awoke in 1958 and created a cataclysm that wiped out Atlantis, killing Emperor Thakorr and Princess Fen, and rendering Namor comatose- THIS is why he was a homeless bum when he was encountered by the Human Torch in 1960s Fantastic Four comics (this gap, initially ten years, is now an UNGODLY amount of time today).

-This retcon story results in Destine going into hibernation for a second time, waking up in modern times. Namor, remembering Destine (who now called himself "Destiny"), fought the villain. Destine escaped and ran for President of the United States, using the Crown to mind control anyone who heard his speeches. Going completely mad when Namor continuously fought against him and survived Destiny's attacks, he decided that he could defeat Namor WITHOUT the Crown, and so tossed it aside. Wishing to levitate over his followers without the Crown... he fell off a building, to his death.

-This kind of ingnominious end was somewhat common in 1960s comics, as villains have victory in their grip, but tend to screw up and defeat themselves because they're dumb and over-extend themselves. This one feels PARTICULARLY ass-pull-y, and even makes it so... the AVENGING SON fails to avenge the death of his mother and grandfather, which is pretty ironic, given Fen is the one who made Namor a son in the first place. Even weirder is that Destiny has never reappeared- Chris Claremont invented a much more well-remembered one in the X-Books, and Marvel glossed over most of the "Golden Age Atlanteans" after a point.

-Destiny is a minor Telepath who is unbeknownst to himself wearing the Serpent Crown, one of the most powerful "Monkey's Paw" devices in comics. While its powers are great, it tends to drive the wielders crazy.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Davies

Re: Jab’s Builds (Lynx-O! Mumm-Ra! Namor Builds! Destiny!)

Post by Davies »

-This retcon story results in Destine going into hibernation for a second time, waking up in modern times. Namor, remembering Destine (who now called himself "Destiny"), fought the villain. Destine escaped and ran for President of the United States, using the Crown to mind control anyone who heard his speeches. Going completely mad when Namor continuously fought against him and survived Destiny's attacks, he decided that he could defeat Namor WITHOUT the Crown, and so tossed it aside. Wishing to levitate over his followers without the Crown... he fell off a building, to his death.
This is almost certainly a reference to the death of Simon Magus as portrayed in the 1954 movie The Silver Chalice, inspired by the apocryphal Acts of Peter.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Davies wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:42 pm
This is almost certainly a reference to the death of Simon Magus as portrayed in the 1954 movie The Silver Chalice, inspired by the apocryphal Acts of Peter.
Never heard of it. The bios don’t mention it, but it’s likely. It was released ten-ish years earlier.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:59 pm
Davies wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:42 pm
Never heard of it. The bios don’t mention it, but it’s likely. It was released ten-ish years earlier.
Basically, the film's Simon meets his death when he goes insane enough to think that he really can walk on air instead of using a trick to make people think he's walking on air. (The legend of Simon portrays him as using demons which the apostles banish with prayer, where the film has him using stage magic.) I only know about this because the movie was discussed in the introduction to a collection of stories by Richard L. Tierney about Simon as a hero that combined Gnosticism with the Cthulhu mythos.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Jabroniville

Karthon

Post by Jabroniville »

KARTHON
Created By:
Roy Thomas & Gene Colan
First Appearance: Sub-Mariner #10 (Feb. 1969)
Role: Temporary Menace, Villain With An "F" in Evil
Group Affiliations: The Questers, Lemuria
PL 10 (124)
STRENGTH
12 STAMINA 12 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Expertise (Lemurian Soldier) 8 (+9)
Intimidation 4 (+6)
Perception 3 (+5)
Stealth 1 (+4)
Vehicles 2 (+5)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Equipment 2, Fast Grab, Favoured Environment (Underwater), Power Attack, Startle, Teamwork

Powers:
"Atlantean Physiology"
Swimming 6 (30 mph) [6]

Protection 1 [1]

Equipment:
"Thrown Trident" Strength-Damage +1 (Extras: Ranged 7) (Diminished Range -1) (8) -- (10)
  • AE: "Net" Snare 5 (Flaws: Limited to One Use) (5)
  • AE: "Trident" Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Reach) (2)
Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+12 Damage, DC 27)
Initiative +8

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +12, Fortitude +12, Will +5

Complications:
Responsibility (Lemuria)
Weakness (Lack of Water)- If left without water, Lemurians will grow progressively weaker. After a long period of time, they will becoming Fatigued, Impaired, Disabled, Stunned, etc. (in addition to dropping Strength & Stamina consistently). They will also suffocate after 10 minutes outside of water, unless they have a special helmet or serum.

Total: Abilities: 86 / Skills: 18--9 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 13 / Defenses: 8 (124)

-Karthon is a little-seen character in Namor's books, but was the first Lemurian character ever identified. He was an antagonist at first, always seeking the Serpent Crown to send back to Lemuria, and his power level made him a good match for Namor himself. Despite this rivalry, he was shown to have a degree of honor- he refused the command to execute an unarmed, helpless Namor, and was struck down for it. With that, he became a bit of an ally, helping out the Avenging Son against the Lemurian forces of Naga. Naga used the Serpent Crown to execute Karthon's Elite Army Unit, but insisted he wanted to keep the big guy around as his own personal enforcer. But when Karthon discovered that one of the beings slain by Naga wasn't Namor's lady-love Dorma, but his own SISTER, he killed Naga himself, striking his master from behind.

-Karthon thus became the new King of Lemuria... which went about as well as a change of status quo for the Mole Man, or a power-up for Electro... in other words, the very next story reverted back to "Status Quo Is God". Karthon was unseated by Llyra, High Priestess of Set, and Namor had to save him. However, this seems to have been the status quo since then- it helps that Lemuria has basically vanished from consideration over at Marvel, and has been left unscathed by the ten thousand times (give or take a hundred) that Atlantis has been destroyed or taken over since that time. Hell, he hasn't been seen in more than thirty years, by my reckoning.

-Karthon was more or less intended to be a super-strong rival to Namor- less good overall, but a fine temporary menace... sort of like Namor's Ulik, or Abomination. So I made him Class 100-ish, leaving in Accurate & Power Attack for some variance. I don't think it was ever explained why he was near Namor's strength-level- that is DEFINITELY not a regular trat of Atlanteans or Lemurians.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

The Serpent Crown

Post by Jabroniville »

THE SERPENT CROWN
Created By:
Roy Thomas & Marie Severin
First Appearance: Sub-Mariner #9 (Jan. 1969)
Role: Mind-Controlling Plot Device

Device (Removable)- PL 12+ (123 points):
Enhanced Strength 10 (20)
Enhanced Stamina 10 (20)
Immunity (Aging) (1)

"Earthquake" Damage 12 (Extras: Area- 120ft. Burst +3) (48) -- (51)
  • AE: Move Object 16 (32)
  • AE: Illusion (Visual & Hearing) 12 (36)
  • AE: Mystical Blast 18 (Extras: Penetrating 8) (44)
Mind Control 12 (Extras: Continuous) (60) -- (61)
AE: "Even Through the TV" Mind Control 12 (Extras: Continuous, Area- Visual Perception) (Flaws: Touch Range -2) (48)
-- (153 points)

-The Serpent Crown is the method by which Set, The Serpent God, interferes with the human world. His followers, The Serpent Men, allied with the Lemurians, enemies of Atlantis, created the Crown, creating The Great Cataclysm, which sank both continents beneath the seas. The Lemurian Emperor Naga rediscovers it, and ruled Lemuria for centuries (having turned everyone there green in the process). It later ended up in the hands of Paul "Destiny" Destine, who would become a foe of Namor. Namor HIMSELF would use the Crown to free his people from Set's control, exerting his own raw willpower against it. Viper uses it to control Roxxon Oil's President, and another universe's version is used to control The Squadron Supreme. It was central to the Atlantis Attacks Annual Event in the early '90s, and later got used by some regular guy who used it to take over all of Washington, D.C.

-The Crown itself is a high-level Device, allowing individuals to utilize various powers, as well as enhanced physicality. However, users generally always fall victim to the control of Set, who slowly transforms them into a green-skinned, reptilian creature.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Shock wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:23 am The big problem I have with Namor is that his iconic costume is just a green speedo. It's just a bridge too far for me to take him seriously like that. He looks ridiculous.
I assume that means you prefer him without the speedo?

How about the version from the Busiek & Ross "Marvels"? He doesn't wear the speedo.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jabroniville

Attuma

Post by Jabroniville »

ATTUMA
Created By:
Stan Lee & Jack Kirby
First Appearance: The Fantastic Four #33 (Dec. 1964)
Role: Namor's Personal Big Bad
Group Affiliations: Deep Six, The Lethal Legion, Atlantis
PL 11 (163), PL 12 (163) Underwater
STRENGTH
10 STAMINA 10 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Athletics 1 (+11)
Deception 4 (+8)
Expertise (Atlantean Warrior) 10 (+13)
Insight 2 (+5)
Intimidation 5 (+9)
Perception 4 (+7)
Stealth 2 (+5)
Vehicles 4 (+7)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Benefit 2 (Leads Atlantean Horde), Chokehold, Equipment 3 (Atlantean Weapons), Fast Grab, Favoured Environment (Underwater), Improved Critical (Atlantean Weapons), Great Endurance, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 7, Takedown

Powers:
"Atlantean Physiology"
Swimming 8 (120 mph) [8]
Power-Lifting 1 (50 tons) [1]

"Underwater Boosts" (All Have Flaws: Limited to Underwater)
Enhanced Strength 2 [2]
Enhanced Stamina 2 [2]

Equipment:
"Atlantean Weapons"
"Trident" Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Reach) (2)
"Underwater Blaster-Thingies" Blast 6 (12)

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Trident +11 (+11 Damage, DC 26)
Underwater +11 (+12 Damage, DC 27)
Underwater Trident +11 (+13 Damage, DC 28)
Blasters +10 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +10 (+12 Underwater), Fortitude +11 (+13 Underwater), Will +8

Complications:
Motivation (Power)- Attuma is extremely power-obsessed, and has repeatedly made a move for the throne of Atlantis.
Weakness (Lack of Water)- If left without water, Llyra will grow progressively weaker. After a long period of time, she will becoming Fatigued, Impaired, Disabled, Stunned, etc. (in addition to dropping Strength & Stamina consistently).
Enemy (Namor)

Total: Abilities: 94 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 21 / Powers: 19 / Defenses: 13 (163)

-Attuma's been such a recurring foe to Namor over the years that I've gotten entirely sick of the guy- seriously, how many times can you take over Atlantis in one lifetime? The recurrence of losers like Attuma is what makes Namor books impossible to keep afloat, in my opinion. The whole "Atlantis Is Boring" trope (exacerbated because most super-heroes & villains in comic 'verses can't come and visit) really holds back any kind of Sub-Mariner or Aquaman book, and a never-ending stream of Attuma Clones (plenty of potential usurpers to Prince Namor out there) really only adds to it.

-Attuma was born into a tribe of barbaric Atlanteans who were banished from Atlantis ages ago. Attuma, for some unknown reason, was born with strength far beyond any normal Atlantean, and quickly became the leader of his tribe. Declaring his ambitions to rule Atlantis, he was confronted by a daughter he never knew existed- Andromeda- but beat her. His invasion of Atlantis was stopped by Namor and the Fantastic Four, who'd decided to ally with the Sub-Mariner. And so began the routine- Attuma would attack Atlantis, and then be driven back. Sometimes quickly, sometimes after a long arc, but pretty regularly, even in the '60s. He was stopped by Iron Man once, then a teaming of Namor & Doom, and more, until he finally took power when Namor was exiled from Atlantis by their Ruling Council. Happy to rule, Attuma only occasionally struck out at his old enemy.

-Attuma allied with Ghuar and Llyra, and their respective armies (the Deviants & Lemurians), in Atlantis Attacks!, which featured countless undersea skirmishes between these guys and superheroes. Though he abducted Marvel Girl for the "Brides of Set", he is betrayed when his allies sacrifice thousands of Atlanteans to awaken Set. He goes into a stupor for a while, then loses and regains the throne from Namor. He forms the "Deep Six" (with himself, Nagala, Orka, Piranha, Sea Urchin & Tiger Shark) to defeat Atlantis from Namor and the Defenders in a renewal of THAT book, but Namor eventually retakes his home. This is basically the last time Attuma REALLY matters- he pops up in 2000s-era books as an invader once more, being beaten by the Avengers, beheaded by the Sentry, restored by Doctor Doom, then transformed into "Nerkodd: Breaker of Oceans" thanks to a super-weapon given him by The Serpent in Fear Itself. There... he just fights Alpha Flight and is handily defeated in the debut of their Limited Series (that became an Ongoing, then dropped back to Limited Series). Attuma appeared a couple more times before being slain in Atlantis by the Squadron Supreme's invasion (in revenge for Namor's part in the incursions that destroyed their worlds)- Power Princess kills him.

-So Attuma is one of those guys with FIFTY YEARS of history, but absolutely nothing to him. There's no nuance, shades of grey, or deeper intentions to Attuma- he's just some asshole out for power, whose only scheme is "Invade with military force". You need guys like this occasionally, I suppose, but this is probably Namor's BIGGEST VILLAIN, and he's never been worth much more than a simple story here or there. Hell, I wrote more about FRIGGIN' ORKA than this guy!

-Attuma is Namor Lite like many other characters he fights, but he's still more powerful than the typical character. He's no physical threat to Namor in this form, however- PL 11 isn't gonna cut it on land. However, a recent power-up boosted him to Namor's stats (ST 13/14 and STA 13/14) and gave him Flight, so he equals PL 12 these days... until some writer forgets those power-ups of course, and he becomes just another Namor Punching Bag (also called "Wrecking Crew-ing" after how THOSE dudes got a power-up and then immediately started jobbing again). Attuma is also prone to wielding whatever Super-Tech the GM can muster- it varies with each appearance.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

It's sad when the crappy Avengers Assemble cartoon actually made better use of Attuma than the comics. They basically turned Attuma into this boisterous barbarian bruiser, sort of like a mean-spirited version of Hercules who was incredibly fight happy, arrogant, and barely civilized.

Honestly, Attuma would work better in the comics if he quit trying to take over Atlantis and basically had his own organization possibly cobbled together from various aquatic races and made him the guy that constantly tries to take over the surface world. Have him inherit most of Namor's worst traits and be someone who is constantly making people doubt the sincerity of Atlantis' best intentions. Namor has to stop Attuma, not because he's threatening Atlantis, but because Attuma is making any possible peace between the surface world and Atlantis impossible. In short, Attuma becomes Namor's Magneto.

You make Attuma someone who, like Namor, can fight with the big boys, has an army of diverse soldiers, weird sea creatures, unique technology and magic, and he could become someone your average superteam could fight. Have him constantly savaging technology and magic to improve his army. Let him find his own unique magical weapon to make him more of a threat. Anything.

I should not be able to come up with better ideas for a guy with a few minutes thinking than Marvel has in decades.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.