Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Jacqueline Trufaut

Post by Jabroniville »

JACQUELINE TRUFAUT
Created By:
J.M. DeMatteis & Bob Budiansky
First Appearance: Sub-Mariner #1 (Sept. 1984)
Role: Jumped-Up Nobody, Woman With A Grudge
PL 8 (172)
STRENGTH
1/6 STAMINA 2/6 AGILITY 2/4
FIGHTING 2/6 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Deception 6 (+10)
Expertise (Aquatic Lore) 8 (+12)
Insight 3 (+6)
Perception 3 (+6)

Advantages:
None

Powers:
"Neptune's Trident" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [109]
Blast 10 (Feats: Accurate 2) (22) -- (23)
  • AE: "Trident Strike" Strength-Damage +2 (2)
Summon Monsters 8 (Extras: 8 Minions +6, Horde, Heroic +2) (88)
"Control the Seas" Move Object 14 (Extras: Perception-Ranged) (Flaws: Limited to Water) (28)
"Mermaid Physiology"
Enhanced Strength 5 (10)
Enhanced Stamina 4 (8)
Enhanced Agility 2 (4)
Enhanced Fighting 4 (8)
Swimming 6 (30 mph) (6)

Immunity 3 (Drowning, Cold, Pressure) (3)
Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation- Aquatic) (2)
Senses 1 (Low-Light Vision) (1)
-- (181 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Trident +6 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Trident Blast +8 (+10 Ranged Damage, DC 25)
Initiative +2 (+4 Mermaid Form)

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +6, Fortitude +6, Will +6

Complications:
Enemy (Namor)- Jacqueline despises Namor for an incident in which a police officer fired at the Prince of Atlantis, and the deflecting bullet killed Jacqueline's recently-widowed father. Obsessed with Namor ever since, she spent years creating revenge.

Total: Abilities: 44 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 109 / Defenses: 9 (172)

-The first four issues of Namor's 1984 series under J.M. DeMatteis featured Jacqueline Trufaut as the villain. She was a Frenchwoman with a deep, abiding hatred of Namor after her father was killed by a ricocheting bullet fired by a police officer at the Sub-Mariner. Putting herself through school as a marine biologist, she ended up discovering Pontus, a former stronghold of the God Neptune. Finding some fantastic weapons, she empowered Dragonrider, the Mad Twins & Proteus (Atlantean rebels), and wielded Neptune's Trident herself, possessing great power and turning herself into a Mermaid. She manipulated things behind the scenes in order to disrupt Atlantis joining the United Nations, and sent her agents against Namor, who defeated them.

-Eventually, she staged her own kidnapping, and Namor (who was falling for her, as she's shown great confidence, brilliance, and knowledge of Atlantis) came to her rescue, only to be attacked by the rebels, and Trufaut herself. She created sea beasts to hold off S.H.I.E.L.D., and nearly killed Namor... but he grabbed her and threw her onto dry land, realizing that Neptune's Trident would not work without water. Transforming back into a human, she was beaten. Trufaut, curiously, has never reappeared, and I don't think that ungodly powerful Trident ever did, either. Given that it could "control the seas" and summon Sea Monsters, it's a high-tier weapon. I can only imagine that DeMatteis' book wasn't overly popular, as most of this never mattered anywhere else.

-Humorously, her backstory was quite topical for the time- her Origin Story was set around Namor's actual 1955 disappearance from comics, and so, thirty-ish years later, she'd aged a reasonable amount of time in order to have gone to college and gained respect in the academic world. The backstory also explains Namor's disappearance around the same time- a disappearance which was about thirty years in the 1980s, but is now pushing sixty years today, thank to Marvel's odd sliding timescale.

-Trufaut is a weird example of someone who's ENTIRELY reliant on a very, very limited Easily Removable Weapon. In this case, the weapon has such a huge drawback that she's helpless outside of water!
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
Jabroniville

Proteus II

Post by Jabroniville »

PROTEUS II
Created By:
First Appearance: Sub-Mariner #2 (Oct. 1984)
Role: Shapeshifter

-Okay, this is just goofy. I get that Proteus is a name from Greek Mythology, and some semi-fitting a guy who worships Neptune as a foe, but c'mon- Chris Claremont & John Byrne had JUST BARELY introduced the famous Kevin "Proteus" MacTaggert barely five years before this!

-In any case, Proteus hails from a poverty-stricken outer realm of Atlantis, and was given powers along with Dragonrider and the Mad Twins by Jacqueline Truffaut. Truffaut gave him a magical necklace that made him a shapeshifter. He lures Namor under water by pretending to be an Altantean General (whom he'd killed), but eventually betrays him and takes numerous forms, doing battle. His powers appear to be REMARKABLY mighty, as he takes the form (and powers) of Namor, Neptune, a giant eel, a "sea-beast", a "weltering whirlpool" (who was writing this- DeMatteis or Stan Lee?), and a poisonous jellyfish. Eventually, however, Namor wore him down and beat him. He reappears alongside his allies, but Namor swats him away- like the Mad Twins, he never reappears in comics.

-Proteus is a solid liar and a Rebel Leader of Atlantis, but the real power is that Necklace, which gives him a near-limitless amount of Shapeshift. Namor pushes 200 points, so mimicking his abilities for a regular Atlantean would require about 24 ranks of Shapeshift or Variable!
Jabroniville

The Mad Twins

Post by Jabroniville »

THE MAD TWINS
Created By:
First Appearance: Sub-Mariner #3 (Nov. 1984)
Role: Big Guys

-The Mad Twins, like Dragonrider, hail from a poverty-stricken outer realm of Atlantis. The formed a rebellion, and hooked up with Jacqueline Truffaut, who gave them a mystical chain that turned them into super-strong semi-giants. They allied with Dragonrider & Proteus, but battled Namor as only as a duo at first. They were strong enough to repel him a few times, and Namor defeated a magically-powerful Trufaut later, but the Twins were never seen again.

-Their Power Level is tricky to determine, as they were at-best temporary nuisances to a PL 11-12 "1980s Namor". Probably PL 7-8, more dangerous as a pair. They are never seen speaking on-panel, and were never given proper names- it's implied that Namor called them the "Mad Twins" because of similarities to the "Mad Twin" sons of Neptune in mythology, Otus & Ephialtes.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Tiger Shark

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImage

TIGER SHARK (Todd Arliss)
Created By:
Roy Thomas & John Buscema
First Appearance: Prince Namor, The Sub-Mariner #5 (Sept. 1968)
Role: Namor's Personal Punching Bag, Animalistic Villain
Group Affiliations: The Masters of Evil, Deep Six, The Offenders, The Lethal Legion
PL 10 (151), PL 12 (151) in Water
STRENGTH
11/14 STAMINA 10/13 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Expertise (Hunting) 12 (+12)
Intimidation 13 (+13)
Perception 4 (+4)
Stealth 5 (+9)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Daze (Intimidation), Favoured Environment (Underwater), Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Bite) 2, Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Startle

Powers:
"Atlantean/Human/Shark Hybrid"
Swimming 10 (500 mph) [10]
Immunity 3 (Drowning, Cold, Pressure) [3]
Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation- Aquatic) [2]
"Animal Senses" Senses 6 (Extended 2 & Acute Scent, Tracking-Scent, Low-Light & Extended Vision) [6]
"Lateral Lines" Senses 1 (Ranged Touch) [1]
"Electrolocation" Senses 5 (Detect Electrical Signals- Acute, Accurate & Ranged) [5]

"Shark Bite" Strength-Damage +0 (Extras: Penetrating 11) [11]

"Improved Underwater Stats" (All with Flaws: Limited to Underwater/When Soaked)
Enhanced Strength 3 [3]
Enhanced Stamina 3 [3]
Impervious Toughness 10 [5]

Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+11 Damage, DC 26)
When Soaked +9 (+14 Damage, DC 29)
Initiative +8

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +10 (+13 When Soaked), Fortitude +11 (+14 Soaked), Will +4

Complications:
Enemy (Namor)- Tiger Shark is a recurring threat to Namor, and the two have fought dozens of times.
Weakness (Out of Water)- Like Namor, Tiger Shark grows weaker the longer he is without water. His costume contains a soaked inner-lining, but without it, he is vulnerable.
Prejudice (Inhuman Monster)- Arliss tends to look differently at times, but rarely looks totally human. He's pretty much stuck doing what he does.

Total: Abilities: 70 / Skills: 34--17 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 49 / Defenses: 6 (151)

Namor's Personal Jobber:
-Tiger Shark's one of those guys with an awesome name and little else, built up as a guy for Namor to beat up in his various solo books. He's big, strong and nasty, but never really been that great of a threat- essentially becoming for Namor what The Silver Samurai is for Wolverine- a Personal Jobber. He shows up, gets his ass kicked, and then goes back into the water. In one of the more hilarious (because it's not deliberate) running gags in comics, NOBODY CAN DECIDE WHAT THE F*** HE LOOKS LIKE- he'll get super-mutated into a beast in one issue, and in the next he'll only be slightly ugly! Then he'll be a MONSTER again! He's gone back and forth so many times it's hilarious! One time he had TWO HEADS! Swear to God! Two friggin' heads! This guy has what is BY FAR the worst case of "Back-To-Basics Syndrome" in all of comics!

-His origin is also super-dumb- Todd Arliss was an arrogant Olympic swimmer who, seeking public acclaim, tried to save a drowning man and was crippled in the process. So of course he agreed to let an evil scientist "cure" him, which combined Namor's DNA with that of a Tiger Shark (because comics), turning him into a monster. But still... "Tiger Shark". That is a bad-ass sounding name. The worst part of all this is that every time Namor needs some old recurring threat trudged up because of one story or another, it's either this idiot or Attuma, and both are weaksauce villains. So they're that weird combination of mediocre AND horribly over-used!

-Tiger Shark is a villain so one-sided that as soon as he gains freakish super-powers, he attacks Namor's girlfriend (Lady Dorma) and demands to be made King of Atlantis. After another Namor fight, he and Orka are buried beneath an avalanche during a brawl. Later, his fading powers are restored by Llyra, and he accidentally kills Namor's father, Leonard McKenzie. The next time they fight, Namor nearly kills him. After another couple fights, he joins the Masters of Evil a few times- including one run by Egghead, but is beaten by Henry Pym. He's also on the team that invades Avengers Mansion and tortures some of the heroes, but is a minor character in that story (as his main rival, Namor, had already left the Avengers by that point). Later, he and Whirlwind escape to California, but are beaten by West Coasters Tigra & Hellcat.

-In the '90s, he was thus a recurring goof- he fights Wolverine during Acts of Vengeance, and Stingray, who is married to Shark's sister Diane. However, in this fight he helps Stingray rescue his sister, and later he renounces villainy after Namor saves him from some people using him for study. Renaming himself "Arlys Tigershark", he marries a woman from an undersea tribe of nomads. However, when his pregnant wife and her tribe are slaughtered by the Faceless Ones, he flies into an all-consuming rage and kills hundreds of the creatures. After another couple fights at Namor's side, he joins the villainous Deep Six and battles the Avengers- with Namor's solo book being cancelled, he had no reason to stay heroic.

Tiger Shark- Journeyman Villain:
-With no Namor books around any longer, his status as Namor's Personal Jobber shifts permanently into "Journeyman Villain"- he becomes sharklike under Mark Bagley's Thunderbolts pencils, joining Justine Hammer's enormous, jobber-y Masters of Evil team, and fights the T-Bolts several times. Looking human in the next appearance, he joins Attuma's Deep Six, beaten by the Silver Surfer in this Defenders arc. In She-Hulk, a mutated (sigh) Arliss shows up in prison and is beaten after a jailbreak (when Electro is tossed into his water), and he also joins the mass break out of The Raft in the Bendis Avengers debut- he and Armadillo are recaptured by the New Warriors. After that, he's largely "Guy in the background", being seen working for The Owl AND The Hood. Then he's part of that legendary "ever friggin' bio on Wikipedia mentions this" story where Al Kraven captures all the animalistic super-villains and sticks them in a zoo. Then he and a few other villains are savaged by Norman Osborn for trying to take power from him. He then works a bit for Osborn, joins The Offenders in another Defenders story (as a rival to Namor again), and joins the Grim Reaper's new Lethal Legion, and then another of Attuma's groups in invading Atlantis (this time sporting two heads for a bit)- basically, if there's a team of "random villains we can find" in the 2000s, Todd f*cking Arliss is on that team.

-In his most recent appearances, Tiger Shark has been seen as both a "recognizable backgrounder" (as his fin-based striped costume stands out), and a good aquatic villain- he is intimidated into joining Namor's new "Defenders of the Deep" team, letting his sister's husband Stingray nearly be killed.

Tiger Shark's Powers & Abilities:
-I just took Namor's build & modified it a bit to make a much less capable fighter with some standard animalistic senses taken from my Shark builds when I did the "Animals" section. He's MUCH better underwater, usually being PL 10 outside of it as a generic attacking powerhouse/scrapper type. He actually makes PL 11.5 underwater, making him... well, still below Namor, but enough to challenge him pretty well, and more than enough for most heroes to have a hard time with. Tiger Shark may be an idiot and a mediocre character, but underestimating him would be a SERIOUSLY bad idea- he may be a Jobber, but remember that he's a Jobber for a guy who's PL 12-13 in scope. He'll tear Misty Knight's f***ing arm off in like two seconds.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Dragonrider

Post by Ares »

Shock wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:57 pm
Ares wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:00 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:10 pm Image

DRAGONRIDER
Created By:
First Appearance: The Sub-Mariner #1 (Sept. 1984)
Role: Animal Controller
Group Affiliations: The Fathom Five
Why does someone with that name and that ability set not get used more? I mean, seriously.
Is she really that different from Mole Man?
Well, one's a blue skinned warrior woman in gold and green armor named Dragonrider, and the other is a short, fugly guy in a green jumpsuit, cape and glasses named Mole Man. Even if Moley has control of generally bigger and more awesome monsters, Dragonrider has a lot going for her.

Then again, Mole Man doesn't really get used that much either.

The lack of respect for giant monsters in modern comics is just shameful.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Jab’s Builds (Destiny! Attuma! Andromeda! Llyra! The Fathom Five!)

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:43 pm The whole of "Fathom Five" is some really inventive concepts and character designs (ESPECIALLY Bloodtide), but because they're fourth-tier Namor foes, they never get used- instead, we just see Attuma and Orka for the 900th time.
Honestly, it would have been perfect if Namor had recruited them for his new "Underwater Avengers" team.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Jab’s Builds (Andromeda! Llyra! The Fathom Five! Tiger Shark!)

Post by Ares »

Favored Environment was pretty much built for guys like Namor and Tiger Shark.

Speaking of which, your comment about Tiger Shark's PL reminded me of similar comments you made about Neutron, to the effect of "Yeah, Neutron's a Jobber, but he jobs to PL 15 Superman. No shame there."

Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Ares wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:03 am Favored Environment was pretty much built for guys like Namor and Tiger Shark.
That reminds me- comics barely ever mentions that these days. It's just kind of a thing that there's so little thought put into fights or tactics that it just doesn't come up anymore. I remember tons of issues back in the day where it would be a major factor that Namor would be deathly-ill if kept from water for more than like, an hour, and that if he was underwater, he was basically unbeatable. Even Doctor Doom wouldn't attack Namor under the surface.

Now, it's like... nobody would even mention it.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:35 am
Ares wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:03 am Favored Environment was pretty much built for guys like Namor and Tiger Shark.
That reminds me- comics barely ever mentions that these days. It's just kind of a thing that there's so little thought put into fights or tactics that it just doesn't come up anymore. I remember tons of issues back in the day where it would be a major factor that Namor would be deathly-ill if kept from water for more than like, an hour, and that if he was underwater, he was basically unbeatable. Even Doctor Doom wouldn't attack Namor under the surface.

Now, it's like... nobody would even mention it.
I understand getting rid of the "needs to stay in water or becomes ill" thing for guys like Namor and Aquaman, because the "I need to re-hydrate every hour" was kind of impractical. I mean, could you imagine what meetings at the Avengers of Justice League would be? Or even just long flights on the Quinjet? Or if Namor had to be part of a space mission? It's just easier that being a hybrid lets guys like Namor and Arthur hydrate the way humans do with a bottle of water. It should be less that they need extra hydration and more that they're vulnerable to attacks that dehydrate them, like fire, heat, etc.

What it should really be is more along the lines of Namor and Arthur being dangerous outside of water and being absolute terrors underwater. For one thing, a lot of their opponents will be at their mercy because they can't breath underwater, often requiring some kind of SCUBA gear. And even those that can hold their breath for a long time or can breath should have difficulty because the water is slowing them down and interfering with their movements, while Namor and Arthur are actually faster in the water. I'd even say that guys like Superman would be affected by the water at least a little.

The JLU cartoon had an episode where Aquaman was giving Wonder Woman a decent fight on land, though it was clear she had the advantage and would very likely win. But then he got her underwater and cleaned her clock. But when he faced Superman on land, Superman dealt with him pretty casually.

Granted, this means the only way for a sort of "fair" fight between guys like Namor and Class 100 types is on a beach. Otherwise either one or the other will have some kind of advantage, though that adds its own flavor to the battle.

Jabroniville

Piranha

Post by Jabroniville »

PIRANHA
Created By:
Marv Wolfman & George Tuska
First Appearance: Sub-Mariner #70 (May 1974)
Role: One-Off Weirdo
Group Affiliations: Deep Six
PL 8 (126)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 6 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -2 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+10)
Expertise (Survival) 5 (+5)
Intimidation 8 (+6)
Stealth 3 (+6)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Improved Critical (Claws & Teeth), Startle

Powers:
"Claws & Teeth" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Split) (Extras: Penetrating 5) Linked to Affliction 8 (Fort; Fatigued/Exhausted/Asleep) (Extras: Cumulative) [24]
"Animal Senses" Senses 4 (Extended 2 & Acute Scent, Low-Light Vision) [4]
"Command Fish" Mind Control 5 (Extras: Area- 120ft. Burst +3) (Flaws: Touch Range -2, Limited to Fish) [20]
"Gather Knowledge" Variable 2 (Skills & Intelligence) (Flaws: Source- Devouring Others, Limited to Those People's Knowledge) [10]
Regeneration 1 (Feats: Regrows Limbs) [2]

"Sea Creature"
Swimming 2 (4 mph) [2]
Immunity 1 (Drowning) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Claws & Teeth +8 (+8 Damage & Affliction, DC 23 & 18)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +6, Fortitude +7, Will +4

Complications:
Prejudice (Monster)

Total: Abilities: 38 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 64 / Defenses: 12 (126)

-A short-lived Namor foe, Piranha is an actual piranha, modified into larger form. Created from the experiments of Dr. Dorcas, Piranha created the "Men-Fish" from the radiation that spawned him, and went searching for more of Dorcas' work. There, they found and attacked Namor- Piranha ended up bleeding, which caused his piranha minions to turn on him, and they devoured him alive. These creatures soon evolved into identical versions of the original... but numbering in the HUNDREDS. They faced Namor and The Thing in a Marvel Two-In-One (guess who was writing?), but the two crushed the underwater stadium that was the battleground- crushing and killing all Piranhas present. The original Piranha eventually regenerated, joining Deep Six alongside a few other Undersea Jobbers (Tiger Shark, Orka, Sea Urchin & Nagala), defending Attuma when he seized the throne of Atlantis. The Defenders beat the group several times. In Marvel Zombies, Piranha and all of the Men-Fish were infected with the Zombie Plague by a zombified Deadpool. They were killed when Daimon Hellstrom blew up their ship.

-Piranha is a pretty simple PL 8 Scrapper... who ends up being much more pricey than a dummy like him would normally be thanks to two separate abilities- Fish Control and the power to copy the intellects and skills of those he's devoured. It was this power that allowed him to create the Men-Fish, as by consuming some of Dr. Dorcas' scientists, he now had the knowledge of how the machine that mutated him worked. The first Piranha could fight with Namor and present a good "First Appearance Fight" (ie. New Villain Stink), but the ones in Marvel Two-In-One were so incompetent that they could only beat Namor with a 40:1 advantage, sez Marvunapp. Those Piranhas are likely only PL 5-ish, but number in the hundreds.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jabroniville

Tamara Rahn

Post by Jabroniville »

GOOD GOD ALMIGHTY!!!

TAMARA RAHN
Created By:
Bill Everett, Steve Gerber & Sam Kweskin
First Appearance: Sub-Mariner #58 (Feb. 1973)
Role: Hot Funny-Coloured Chick
Group Affiliations: Deep Six
PL 10 (132)
STRENGTH
9 STAMINA 9 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 2 (+11)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+11)
Expertise (Business) 4 (+7)
Expertise (Survival) 3 (+6)
Expertise (Undersea Hero) 2 (+5)
Intimidation 4 (+6)
Perception 2 (+5)
Vehicles 1 (+5)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Equipment 1 (Spiked Gauntlets- Strength-Damage +1- Split), Evasion, Fast Grab, Favoured Environment (Aquatic), Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Spear), Improved Defense, Improved Initiative, Move-By Action, Ranged Attack 4, Takedown

Powers:
"Banari Physiology"
Swimming 8 (120 mph) [8]
Immunity 5 (Drowning, Cold, Pressure, Poison, Radiation) [5]
Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation- Aquatic) [2]
Senses 1 (Low-Light Vision) [1]

"Banari Multi-Bladed Spear" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [14]
"Desalinizer" Affliction 6 (Fort; Fatigued/Exhausted/Incapacitated) (Extras: Ranged) (Dim. Range -2) Linked to Weaken Stamina 6 (Extras: Ranged) (Dim. Range -2) (20) -- (22 points)
  • AE: Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Reach, Improved Critical) (4)
  • AE: "Thrown Spear" Strength-Damage +0 (Extras: Ranged 9) (Flaws: Disarms Spear) (5)
Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Spear +9 (+11 Damage, DC 26)
Thrown Spear +8 (+9 Ranged Damage, DC 24)
Desalinizer +8 (+6 Ranged Affliction & Weaken, DC 16 & 16)
Initiative +8

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +9, Fortitude +9, Will +6

Complications:
Responsibility (Last Of Her Kind)- Tamara is the sole survivor of her race, the Banari.
Relationship (Tiger Shark)- She has low standards, apparently. She also once slept with Namor, but who knows how many super-females THAT applies to?
Weakness (Dehydration)- Tamara cannot survive on the surface easily- she will suffocate after a few minutes without water. She will also lose stats after a few minutes, lowering in Strength & Stamina, even with a rebreather to allow her to breathe on the surface.
Power Loss (Desalinizer)- The Desalinizer requires skin contact or something to work. Someone wearing protective armour will be immune.

Total: Abilities: 86 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 16 / Powers: 30 / Defenses: 7 (132)

-Tamara Rahn is the sole survivor of her homeworld Laab, and sought vengeance against Atlantis after the remaining survivors were killed by Atlanteans, who mistook them for enemies. Forgiven for this natural reaction by Namor, she was made an honorary Atlantean, and became a supporting character in Namor's 1970s book, kind of getting mixed up only with "Namor Stuff", rendering her a bit obscure. After some pretty big gaps in publication, she reappeared in Namor's 1990s series, and eventually hooked up with Tiger Shark (ewwwwwwwwww!) and had a ton of adventures involving Atlantis stuff (never really a big seller). She and Tiger Shark were beaten by Llyra & Llyron, rescued by Namor, and later joined his "Deep Six" team, but eventually his book was cancelled and Tiger Shark turned back into a villain. She has largely disappeared from comics.

-She seemed like a solid suppporting cast member, doing the "I have no more people" thing (the Starblaster known as Xlym killed what was left of them, and Tamara slaughtered him in response), but DAAAAAAAAAANG I really just like her because she is drawn RIDICULOUSLY sexy by the rookie Jae Lee, plus has the naturally-hot attribute of an Impossible Skin Colour. Comics is full of green babes, and even a handful of blue ones (thank you, X-Men books), but VERY few red ones. For some reason the blonde hair just REALLY sets it off, making her look much better than, say, The Red She-Hulk (who is even an Amazon!). Like, she just looks STAGGERING in the images of her I've seen.

-Bio-sites are pretty light on information about Tamara, and I don't have her Marvel Handbook appearance, so I had to glean more from scc's build of her than I would have liked (I like to build a character FIRST, THEN check all the stuff I missed- not just copy from someone else's work at the BEGINNING :)). As a Namor supporting cast member, she's got to be around PL 10, since he fights at a higher-level than most Marvel characters, and her other contemporaries are toughies like Tiger Shark & Attuma, both of whom are devastating when in the water. I'd give her "Attractive" if she used her Attractiveness to her advantage? Did she ever do that?
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

Tiger Shark could work very well as a Namor villain IF his abilities were upgrades so that while underwater, his agility, swimming speed, and senses were all slightly SUPERIOR to the Sub-Mariner's own, with Namor's still-superior strength being off-set by Arliss' fangs and ferocity. This would give Namor a foe who was actually somewhat his better (or at least equal, physically-speaking) in his own element, meaning Prince Namor's best bet is actually taking the fight OUT of the water. But on land, Namor would face a different challenge, as Tiger Shark's strength would diminish more slowly, as his base DNA is still human, while Namor is half-Atlantean (all right, this is comic book genetic engineering, OK?). So on land, Namor would have to try for a quick victory, likely resorting to clinching with Tiger Shark and then carrying him aloft in flight, leading to a pretty bloody, painful grapple for both of them. If forced to fight under the sea, Sub-Mariner would have to rely on superior tactics, or call in allies (not an easy thing to do for the haughty and arrogant Mr. MacKenzie).

You know-I think I could actually rescue Namor as a character. First, I'd have him deposed as ruler of Atlantis again-this time because the Atlanteans decide they've had enough of hereditary monarchs and-wait for it-ACTUALLY BECOME A REPRESENTATIVE DEMOCRACY! Yes, that's right-a super-advanced civilization which actually has the same type of government as nearly all other such societies. Naturally, the Sub-Mariner is pissed and cocksure Llyra or one of his other enemies is somehow behind this, and battles to restore "his" throne-only to find out, NO, the people chose this freely and want him gone as ruler.

Cut loose from Atlantis, Namor is now free to try a number of pursuits and get into new types of adventures, most of which would see him taken even further away from his usual stomping grounds-and handed some defeats which result in taking some of the edge off his arrogance. Namor would actually mature through these setbacks, after first falling into something of a deep funk. He'd still fundamentally remain a jerk, but he'd develop a small sense of humor about himself, actually learn to call on and accept land-based friends and allies, and admit some of his past actions were just plain wrong-the bull-headed decisions made by essentially an overgrown and overpowered adolescent. He wouldn't totally change-I mean, most "surface dwellers" would still find him to be kind of an ass-but some of his earlier, better qualities would re-emerge.

All my best!
Jack of Spades

Post by Jack of Spades »

I find your ideas intriguing and would like to subscribe to your comic book.
Jack's Deck build threadFantasy Geographic Society campaign web site
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

greycrusader wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:22 am Tiger Shark could work very well as a Namor villain IF his abilities were upgrades so that while underwater, his agility, swimming speed, and senses were all slightly SUPERIOR to the Sub-Mariner's own, with Namor's still-superior strength being off-set by Arliss' fangs and ferocity. This would give Namor a foe who was actually somewhat his better (or at least equal, physically-speaking) in his own element, meaning Prince Namor's best bet is actually taking the fight OUT of the water. But on land, Namor would face a different challenge, as Tiger Shark's strength would diminish more slowly, as his base DNA is still human, while Namor is half-Atlantean (all right, this is comic book genetic engineering, OK?). So on land, Namor would have to try for a quick victory, likely resorting to clinching with Tiger Shark and then carrying him aloft in flight, leading to a pretty bloody, painful grapple for both of them. If forced to fight under the sea, Sub-Mariner would have to rely on superior tactics, or call in allies (not an easy thing to do for the haughty and arrogant Mr. MacKenzie).

You know-I think I could actually rescue Namor as a character. First, I'd have him deposed as ruler of Atlantis again-this time because the Atlanteans decide they've had enough of hereditary monarchs and-wait for it-ACTUALLY BECOME A REPRESENTATIVE DEMOCRACY! Yes, that's right-a super-advanced civilization which actually has the same type of government as nearly all other such societies. Naturally, the Sub-Mariner is pissed and cocksure Llyra or one of his other enemies is somehow behind this, and battles to restore "his" throne-only to find out, NO, the people chose this freely and want him gone as ruler.

Cut loose from Atlantis, Namor is now free to try a number of pursuits and get into new types of adventures, most of which would see him taken even further away from his usual stomping grounds-and handed some defeats which result in taking some of the edge off his arrogance. Namor would actually mature through these setbacks, after first falling into something of a deep funk. He'd still fundamentally remain a jerk, but he'd develop a small sense of humor about himself, actually learn to call on and accept land-based friends and allies, and admit some of his past actions were just plain wrong-the bull-headed decisions made by essentially an overgrown and overpowered adolescent. He wouldn't totally change-I mean, most "surface dwellers" would still find him to be kind of an ass-but some of his earlier, better qualities would re-emerge.

All my best!
*sits on the edge of a desk*

Hi, I'm Ares, owner and moderator of Echoes of the Multiverse, and I approve this idea.

Ares
Site Admin

Re: Tamara Rahn

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:15 pm
-She seemed like a solid suppporting cast member, doing the "I have no more people" thing (the Starblaster known as Xlym killed what was left of them, and Tamara slaughtered him in response), but DAAAAAAAAAANG I really just like her because she is drawn RIDICULOUSLY sexy by the rookie Jae Lee, plus has the naturally-hot attribute of an Impossible Skin Colour. Comics is full of green babes, and even a handful of blue ones (thank you, X-Men books), but VERY few red ones. For some reason the blonde hair just REALLY sets it off, making her look much better than, say, The Red She-Hulk (who is even an Amazon!). Like, she just looks STAGGERING in the images of her I've seen.
You should definitely check out some of the John Carter of Mars stuff then. On Mars, you've got an entire species composed of physically perfect human-like aliens with red skin and only as much clothing as the is required to not get them banned from book stores. They tend to make the Slave Leia outfit look modest by comparison.

Just do a Google Image Search of "Dejah Thoris art" and see what you find.