[OOC] The New Mythos

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Arkrite

Re: The New Mythos [3e, Recruitment open to 5/1]

Post by Arkrite »

I've got a concept I've kind of been running with but I'm kind of holding off since I've heard somebody else had pretty much the same idea about a Technomage.

Also finding pictures is hard ;~)
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

A fairly solid bruiser! Couple points that draw my eye though. She had both a sword and claws? While that looks cool in my head, how come? The other thing would be her weakness. Holy water sounds fine for a demon to be weak towards, but it would be more that her new physiology itself is weak towards it then her personal belief.

Hmm... Is this the monster girls squad now? :lol:

@Arkite: Hah! Don't I know it. I have a technology I play over on the Ronin forums myself. Try searching for shadowrun stuff, you might find what you're looking for that way. And hey- first come first serve, innit? ;)
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Okay, I've updated Foxy.

Shrinking is only one level of size now.
Her senses detect "evil". If "evil" is not really a thing, I will modify her senses again.
She no longer speaks Japanese.
Her supernatural abilities are no longer called spells.
Dream Walking might be problematic. But it's an out-of-combat kind of effect. Up to you. I can always remove it.
CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos »

Thanks for the feedback. I admit the sword just sounded cool in my head especially after I saw some very nice artwork online of demons with swords. As for the Holy Water, that's easily fixed. I was confused with regards to if her hew physiology would actually be weak towards it or not. I may have misundertood the jature of the transformations. Did someone transform into an actual creature or just have the physical looks and attributes of one? I will do a few tweaks tonight and add a bit more backstory. Thanks.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Arkrite wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:34 amAlso finding pictures is hard ;~)
Nah, finding pictures is easy. Finding pictures that actually look how you want them to look, that's hard.

Also hard is the picture that tells you maybe you should change your idea to match that picture. Those pictures are the worst.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Name: Velari Larosa
Height: 5'7"
Weight: 600lbs
Power Level: 8
Power Points: 120/120
Hero Points: 1
[20]ABI [22]DEF [14]SKI [11]ADV [53]POW

[20]Abilities
Strength: 0(2)
Stamina: 0(2)
Agility: 2
Dexterity: 0
Fighting: 5
Intellect: 0
Awareness: 3
Presence: 0

[*]Combat[*]
Initiative: +2
Unarmed: +13 DC18 Tgh (Bluedgeon)

[22]Defenses
Toughness: +6 (2+4)
Dodge: +6 (5+2-1)
Parry: +10 (6+5-1)
Fortitude: +9 (7+2)
Will: +7 (4+3)

[14]Skills(30 Non-Com(10pp), 8 Combat(4pp))
Acrobatics 11(+13), C.C (Unarmed) 8(+13), Insight 5(+8), Intimidation 0(+1), Perception 5(+8), Stealth 6(+4), Vehicles 3(+3)

[11]Advantages
Agile Feint, Benefit 2(Ambidexterity, Sharp Eyes), Chokehold, Evasion 2, Fast Grab, Great Endurance, Improved Hold, Power Attack, Takedown
Sharp Eyes: As long as she has some idea of what she is looking for (IE: Specific paperwork, a hidden lever known to exist, etc), she may use Perception for the Search function of Investigation

[53]Powers
Pseudo-Liquid Anatomy
[ 1pp] Feature (Malleable Anatomy; Velari is able to adjust her anatomy into any configuration within the limits of her mass and general function, but is unable to mask her true nature, making it a very ineffective disguise technique.)
[ 1pp] Immunity 2 (Critical Hits), Limited to Physical Attacks
[ 4pp] Increased Density: Growth 2, Permanent, Doesn't change size(+0)[+2 Str/Sta, +2 Mass Rank, +1 Intimidate, -2 Stealth, -1 Dodge/Parry]
[ 5pp] Insubstantial 1, Permanent
[ 4pp] Protection 4
[12pp] Regeneration 10 (1 per round), Feature (Regrowth; Any lost pieces of body recover the same rate as incurable injuries), Persistent 1 (Incurable injuries regenerate at only 1/minute)
[ 1pp] Strength-Based Damage 1 (Increased density)
[ 6pp] Variable 1, Limited to physiological-based powers

Malleable Form Dynamic Array (8pp available, PP:Rank+Extra)
[ 9pp](1:1+0) Elongation 8 (1800ft), Dynamic
[ 2pp](1:1+0) AE: Enhanced Natural Attack 8 (Multiattack 8)
[ 2pp](1:1+1) AE: Extra Limbs 7, Dynamic, Sustained, Variable Descriptor (Appendages)
[ 2pp](2:1+0) AE: Movement 4 (Slithering, Slow Fall, Wall-Crawling 2), Dynamic
[ 2pp](1:1+2) AE: Flight 6, Aquatic, Dynamic, Subtle, Gliding
[ 2pp](1:2+1) AE: Create 14, Moveable, Tether, Close, Feedback, Proportionate

Complications:
Motivation (Justice): Before the change, Velari had been studying to be law-enforcement. To protect people and put the bad guys away was her dream. Seeing her new body as more of benefit to that ends, even if she is somewhat unnerving to behold, she jumped at the opportunity presented by Echo to use her new abilities to do what she'd been training for all along. She has a strong sense of justice tempered by compassion and honor, though this does leave some blind spots where she can be taken advantage of and tricked, or conversely makes her (ironically) inflexible on some points.

Fluid Physiology: Being made of fluid causes Velari's body to react differently to extreme heat and cold. Put simply, she can experience evaporation and freezing. While she is resistant to such environments, once she begins succumbing she must begin resisting a damage effect each round (DC23 Fort) when in hot environments and an Affliction (Cumulative DC18 Fort; Dazed, Stunned, Paralyzed) - These are in addition to normal checks for extreme heat/cold environments, but only start once she has failed even once. She is also susceptible to additional side effects when struck with extreme temperatures from attacks (Same effects). This only typically occurs when the attack in question strikes a large portion of her body (IE: Area attacks)

Disturbing Voraciousness: Velari's new physiology it turns out requires a massive amount of protein to maintain with a metabolism that is as of yet not understood how her body uses the protein or where the mass of food she consumes goes. Whatever the case, considering her body is partially transparent, one is able to see everything Velari consumes and as it is dissolved within her and it is considered disturbing to behold. It is, for this reason, she wears clothing mainly, that and the sense of normalcy. Velari begins to get more and more lethargic the longer she goes without some manner of protein in her system, weakening the longer she is without. She recovers quickly however once she manages to consume a significant amount of protein.

Enthusiastic Rookie: Velari lacks professional experience, plain and simple. While she is spirited and enthusiastic, this lack of experience tends to means at best she is going off half-cocked, unable to see the flaws in her own plans when she has one at all. Her body's ability to recover from damn near anything she has experienced so far also makes her overconfident to boot, though in this at least she has some justifiable reason to be, but overconfidence and inexperience is a powder keg of poor judgment.

Background:
Velari always wanted to be a cop. Since she was a child she'd had a strong sense of justice and more than once her parents would be summoned to school because she'd been involved in a fight where she'd come to the defense of another student being bullied (though of course, the fighting was not tolerated, regardless of the reason). She never let these kinds of setbacks diminish her spirit.

What did prove to be a hiccup was the original devolution virus. It hit Velari hard and it was uncertain whether she was going to live through it as her body seemed to be slowly breaking down from the inside out. When the virus waned, it left Velari weakened, but with her spirit unbroken. It took time, but eventually, she was able to get through rehabilitation and get back to pursuing her dream.

Then the second wave hit, what some were calling the inheritance. Once again, Velari was affected, but this time the effects were so much more rapid as her body broke down into a slime-like state. While others were panicking however Velari realized that despite her state, she could still think, and sense, and it didn't hurt. It took a full week, but with Velari's tenacious spirit, she was eventually able to figure out how to reconstitute herself into a humanoid shape, as well as discovering the various benefits of her new form, as well as it's voracious need for protein.

In that time, the world seemed to have gone crazy with this wave of supernaturally changed people, especially those who devolved into anarchy. Just as Velari was contemplating what she could possibly do, the ghostly Echo appeared before her, inviting her to use her new body to step up and become an icon, a hero. The choice was obvious before Echo had even finished his offer.

Personality:
Velari is extremely confident, spirited and headstrong. She has a certain image of what a hero should be and strives to reflect that image in her own bearing and actions. While she is a little self-conscious about her appearance, especially when it comes to eating, it doesn't show on the surface, though she does prefer to eat in private whenever possible. While Velari does present a front that doesn't believe in giving up, she is bright enough to know the difference between retreating and tactical repositioning, falling back to come at the problem another way. She is however inexperienced. While she was studying to be an officer, that training was interrupted by the original devolution virus and took years for her to fully recover from which was only recently before "the inheritance" changed her into this new form.

Power Profile:
Velari's powers all revolve around her malleable physiology. Able to stretch, split and reshape herself, she is very flexible, no pun intended.

While she can reach quite far to strike from a distance, she doesn't have a true ranged attack, and she is somewhat limited to physical attacks and lacks the ability to attack multiple foes at once. While she has impressive mobility in a short-range, she lacks true flight, needing to gain altitude (usually by using elongation to pull herself to a higher vantage) to utilizing her gliding flight, though underwater she is more free to move about.

Valeri's greatest strength is her staying power with regeneration. She can take significant punishment and recover fairly quickly, and though she is still able to be overwhelmed by multiple attackers, she can still recover from the damage unless she is neutralized by other means. Area attacks that use extreme heat or cold are especially effective against her, triggering her complication. And while she does have a number of options available to her to deal with various threats, she has a very limited number of powers in her dynamic array to utilize those options.
Last edited by EpicEclipse on Thu May 02, 2019 3:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Loneclaw

Post by Loneclaw »

Hey Doc, how sizable is the Supernatural demographic? Are there a lot of other driders out there or is it reasonable for my character to assume that she's a rarity?
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

@jmucchiello: Awesome. I don't see anything specifically wrong with her at this time now, though I'll of course give her and everyone else a harder look over when it's time.

@CaptainChaos: You are essentially that creature now, abilities, weaknesses, and all.

@EpicEclipse: Apparently this is the Monster-Girls Squad after all. :lol: I'm curious as to the implementation of a Feature instead of a limited Morph, bit I'll look into it more when I have time today.

@Loneclaw: Some things are more common then others, particularly in areas of the world where their mythology was centered. It all comes from ancestry, after all. Things like a drider would probably be on the rare side more universally however.
------------
Loneclaw

Post by Loneclaw »

Oh, that's perfect! ^w^

BTW, could you give me a rough percentage estimate of how many Supernaturals there are compared to normal humans? Pretty please? :3
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

I believe I listed it as about 10% of the world's total? Some places like your city have a higher ratio then others however.

Human-like Supernaturals (Elves, Dwarves, etc.) Would be the most common, likely somewhere around half the supernatural population. The numbers get muddier after that. Sorcerers are somewhere around .5% of Earth's total population, spread out all over the place. In general however, the more powerful a given creature is, the more rare. Some may even be utterly unique in their occurance.
------------
Loneclaw

Post by Loneclaw »

Doctor Malsyn wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:53 pm I believe I listed it as about 10% of the world's total? Some places like your city have a higher ratio then others however.
I assume New Zealand would be another hotspot? :p

In all seriousness, thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. <3
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

The feature mainly just lets her reorganize her mass and features like eyes to capture that amorphic physiology of something that doesn't have a skeletal structure restricting its shape.

Basically she can see from any part of her body by shifting an eye, smell by moving her nose, speak by moving her mouth.

I toyed with the idea of an extra feature to produce additional eyes/mouths etc to see/talk in multiple places limited of course by her elongation. (the model for that concept is that character from My Hero Acedemia who has tentacles that can reproduce various organs and limbs. Just felt like it would work on a amorphous pseudo-liquid person)
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Hmm... I understand what you want to go with (Whom I dosn't get enough love for how aeesome his quirk is). I worry though that the feature sounds like a powerful, single point Variblable. What if, something like...

Morphic Hands: Feature 1 (Never count as using Improvised Tools)
Morphic Senses: Variable ?, Limited to Senses only.

...Or perhaps another alternate effect, granting things like radial fission, elongated hearing, etc. The idea isn't an issue, I just think the benefit is more powerful then a single feature should allow.
------------
Thorpocalypse

Post by Thorpocalypse »

I wish I had time for this but it's yard season, which I hate but my wife loves so I will have to spend a lot of time ...*shudder*...outside for the next few weeks so I will be struggling to keep up with the games I'm in already.

But feel free to use any of the builds on my Fantasy thread if they can be of assistance.
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Thank you, I'm sure that'd help save me some time with some of my planned adventures! A shame that you can't offer up a submission of your own, but I know how real life chores tend to be. Make sure to wear your sunscreen while working, don't wanna get burnt.
------------