[OOC] The New Mythos

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Bladewind

Re: The New Mythos [3e, Recruitment open to 5/1]

Post by Bladewind »

Dryad didn't work out... posting a build momentarily.
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Bladewind's 3ed M&M Builds
The Merge Setting document
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

A shame on that, but I'm curious to see what you've come up with instead!
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

“Copper”
PL8/ 120 PP

Abilities
Strength 2,
Stamina 2,
Agility 0,
Dexterity 0,
Fighting 5,
Intellect 1,
Awareness 3,
Presence 1

Powers
Copper Dragon: (59 points)
Small Size: Shrinking 4,
Fire Immunity: Immunity 5,
Dragon Hide: Protection 6,
Fast: Speed 2,
Quick: Quickness 1,
Claws, Bite: Strength Based Damage 2 (Split)
Wall Crawling: Movement 2,
Alt: Winged Flight: Flight 4
Alt: Jump: Leaping 3
Cone of Slow Gas (Breath Weapon): Weaken 5 [(Movement Effects); Cone Area, Broad]
Alt: Acid Spit (Breath Weapon): Damage 8 [Ranged, Accurate 4]
Canine Senses: (3 points)
Acute Smell, Tracking, Ultra-Hearing: Senses 3,

Devices
Gem Encrusted Collar
Comprehend 1 (Be Understood) - Limited to languages he speaks, Removable 1 Pt

Advantages
Move-by Action,
Improved Initiative 1,
Assessment,
Diehard,
Fearless,
Tracking

Skills
Acrobatics 2 (+2),
Athletics 3 (+5),
Deception 5 (+6),
Insight 4 (+7),
Intimidation Note: Shrinking mod included. (-1),
Investigation 9 (+10),
Perception 10 (+13),
Persuasion 5 (+6),
Stealth: Note: Shrinking mod included. 7 (+11)

Offense
Initiative +4
Claws/ Bite +5/ DC 20
Acid Spit +8/ DC 23

Defense
Dodge 8,
Parry 8
Toughness 8 (Def Roll 0),
Fortitude 9,
Will 7

Power Points
Abilities 28 + Powers 60 + Advantages 5 + Skills 15 + Defenses 18 = Total 126/126

Complications
Loyalty – Copper was a Labrador Retriever before the virus changed him, he still has that sense of loyalty to those he considers family
Man's Best Friend – Although his Intelligence and understanding of the world have vastly increased, Copper is still a dog at his core, and as a result, sometimes has social... issues
Relationship/ Master - Copper has a human family. Although now that he's a dragon they do let him out on his own, he still cares deeply for them, especially the two brothers in the family. (Family members - two sons and daughter - Bryan, Simon & Wendy/ adults - Kevin and Mary Deragonne
Prejudice – He's a dragon...
Mute - Although he understands English, Copper cannot speak, instead making noises much like a raptor from the original Jurassic Park movies.

Design Notes
:arrow: This is *almost* a straight up conversion of a D&D 3.5 Copper Dragon Wyrmling, adjusted for PL...
:arrow: Copper is a Labrador Retriever... actually... he was. The virus changed him into a dragon, his name and fur-tone becoming more apt than ever...
:arrow: Decided to try the build without being able to speak. The 1st 6 PP we get will probably go to the Communication ability...
:arrow: Changed the acid immunity - (I've never seen acid used as a descriptor but will probably regret it later...). I put fire immunity instead.

Background
Centuries ago, a wizard (or group of wizards) attempted to splice dragon and animal DNA to create formidable (and perhaps more controllable) guardians. Dire Wolves, Bears, Lions and other ferocious animals were all attempted. While successful, due to the nature of dragon DNA, most of these eventually died out as the Dragon dna could not be passed down naturally and all such creatures were artificial... In the rare cases where the offspring of such a creation survived, it often bore little to none of the traits of the dragon. Fast forward to the present and some of the mightiest breeds of wolves, dog and even dire wolves have become domesticated... Huskies, German Shepards, Great Danes and even some of the less imposing breeds.

Copper is one of those "less imposing breeds." Born a Labrador Retriever and adopted by a normal suburban family, the pup quickly became a beloved part of the family. Even when he became ill, the family stood by him. The vets were baffled as to his condition, not realizing or likening it to the condition that was striking people the world over... Copper was put on a strict diet, and sent home to be monitored in the comfort of his home.

One fateful night, a spark from a faulty breaker caused fire to break out in the family home. Copper barked and barked to wake up his humans, but strange sounds came from his throat instead. Not understanding, he tried to get to his family but was devastated when his two favourites - the brothers - screamed in horror when they saw him. With the fire raging he tried to bark at them again, to direct them away, but they were too afraid. Then the floor collapsed. Instinct kicked in and the Lab leaped into the hole in the floor and dragged the boys out of the house.

People screamed in horror again, but Copper was focused on saving the family and barked his strange sounds again before running back into the building. Covered in soot, the boys' father ran to them, as his younger son coughed and cried into his shoulder, his elder brother stared into the fire with a single word on his lips... "Copper?"

Moments later, struggling either with the larger form of their mother or the weight of the adult, the creature that had been Copper saved a third member of the family. The sound of the fire was briefly drowned out by the sounds of guns cocking as the police on the scene took aim. Assuming a defensive stance and growling defiance and anger, all that escaped was a series of hisses... until the elder brother ran forward and put himself between the police and the creature.

Turning, despite warning and commands to get out of the way, the elder brother dropped to his knees and hugged his beloved pet, not comprehending what had happened, and not caring because whatever had happened, Copper had saved them...

It took months before the home was rebuilt, and with Copper now being a dragon, it took some time before suspicion for the fire was lifted from him and confirmed to have been electrical in nature. The father of the family, a scientist, realized and was able to confirm that whatever genetic markers were buried in Copper's DNA had surfaced with a vengeance. And although there is caution when dealing with a dragon as opposed to a cuddly Labrador Retriever, Copper is still a welcome part of the family, his actions on the night of the fire never forgotten...

There is now a sign in the window, warning would be thieves...

Last edited by Bladewind on Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:07 pm, edited 18 times in total.
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

A tiny little dragon sounds adorable, yet in my head... I have to wonder just where in Copper's ancestral lineage was there a dragon. Or why a dragonnand a dog would even... *cough* Best not to think on that matter.

I'd more expect Copper to have been a normal lizard of some type before Inheritance as that makes more sense thematically, though you would loose out on the dog mentality.
------------
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Doctor Malsyn wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:48 am A tiny little dragon sounds adorable, yet in my head... I have to wonder just where in Copper's ancestral lineage was there a dragon. Or why a dragon and a dog would even... *cough* Best not to think on that matter.
I'd like to imagine somewhere out there, thousands of years ago, a really unbalanced magic user thought it would be great to have a loyal dependable dragon. And started making dog/dragon chimeras/homunculi.
And failing. :lol:
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

In the time of dragons, interbreeding could have been accomplished by a wacky wizard performing experiments. He was trying to tame dragonkin by mixing them with dogs. A dragon who was a dog is too good to allow logic to stand in the way. :)

EDIT: sniped
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

While I'm curious as to how he imagined it happened, I suppise 'shenanigans' could be reasoned into it. :lol:

In fact, if you followed their take Bladewind and made him more of an explicitly dog themed dragon hybrid, you might be able to shave enough points somewhere.

Added him to the main post's list.
------------
Loneclaw

Re: Mr. FIX I.T.

Post by Loneclaw »

Yeah, dragons tend to get around enough to even make Zeus blush. :p
Arkrite wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:56 pm Felix Ian Xavier - PL 8
Fix I.T. Electronic Repairs Store - PL 8
I... have a feeling that Disney's lawyers may want a word with you. xD
Camus

Post by Camus »

Grown treant

A professor of botany at the local uni, Rafael was a successful researcher working on plant genetic improvement. He had a house in the suburbs, which was almost paid for, a wife and 4 radiant daughters. Quite a life.
Everything changed when the virus awakened a dormant genetic mutation. Rafael was attacked by a coughing feat midclass, and fell unconscious on the samples he had laid out for the students. A collection of bark types from several samples of the local forest. Before the eyes of his students, his body turned translucent and water-like. His mutation turned his body into a mass of totipotential, stem cells. The cells concentrated on a point, and started to give off a faint glow. Like a lure, the will-o-wisp captured the attention of everyone present.

The emergency service had been called, and his wife, who also worked at the university, was already there, in tears. Her husband had become an orb of light, without any apparent consciousness. It lingered floating in the air, for a few seconds, and then, avid of a new form, it absorbed one of the samples. The orb began to shrink around the tree bark short after, getting denser and denser, differentiating structures and tissues, and finally turned into an acorn. The incident ended up with Rafael declared dead, a family broken by tragedy.
Little could be done at that stage but Licia, Rafael's wife decided to put the acorn in a pot.
A few days had passed, and the acorn sprouted. But it did not only sprouted. Much like Jack's magic beans, the sprout started growing at alarming rate, producing a giant tree man!
His memory was intact, but Rafael was now, basically, a treant. While happy that his husband wasn't dead, his wife was shocked, and so was Rafael. His four daughters were either excited about his father being alive, scared of his new form, or also thrilled by it, depending on which of the four you'd ask.
Rafael was now in a complicated position. He had cleared up his deceased state, but that was the least of his problems. He had returned to the university, but his size and shape didn't allow him to work.

Name: Rafael Schults AKA Treant
Complications
Father of four : Rafael has 4 daughters, that is mouths to feed.
Jobless : His monstrous transformation meant Rafael could not work again in his field, so he needs money.
Cares about the garden : Rafael has taken an almost family level of zeal when protecting plants and nature in general.
Mystic ascendancy: Will-o-wisp

Abilities ( 26 pp)
Strength 4/8 , Stamina 8/10 , Agility 0 , Dexterity 0 , Fighting 6/4 , Intellect 4 , Awareness 2 , Precence 1 .

Powers ( 61 pp)
- Quick-vine ( Affliction 9 : 1st: Impaired and Hindered, 2nd: Immobile and Prone. Resisted by Fort. Extra condition (+1), Limited degree (-1), Linked: Unnarmed attack ) · 10 point/s
- Knockout spores ( Affliction 9 : 1st: Dazed and Vulnerable, 2nd: Defenseless and Stunned. Resisted by Fort. Extra condition (+1), Limited degree (-1), Linked: Unnarmed attack ) · 1 point/s
- Charming spores ( Affliction 9 : 1st: Entranced, 2nd: Compelled, 3rd Controlled. Resisted by Fort., Linked: Unnarmed attack ) · 1 point/s
- Sprout poisonous spines ( Affliction 6 : 1: Dazed; 2: Stunned. Reaction (Touching), Limited degree ) · 18 point/s
- Sprout vines ( Extra limbs 5 : Extra limbs 5 (Grants advantage 9). Elongation 4 ) · 1 point/s
- Plant physiology ( Immunity : Disease, Poison, Starvation and thirst, Sleep ) · 4 point/s
- Root ( Regeneration 12 : Source: Sunlight. Limited (While not moving and able to bury partially in fertile ground) ) · 3 point/s
- One with the plants ( Enhanced traits : Speed 4, Stealth 12, Hide in plain sight. Limited(only in vegetated environments) ) · 4 point/s
- Treesize ( Permanent Growth 4, Enhanced trait: Fighting 2, Stamina 2, Will 2) · 18 point/s
- Overgrowth ( AP: Permanent Growth 8, Enhanced trait: Parry 2) · 1point/s

Advantages ( 6 pp)
Close attack 3 , Favoured environment(Forests) 1 , Move by action 1, assesment.
Vines: Chokehold , Fast grab , Prone fighting , Imp. Disarm , Imp. Grab , Imp. Hold , Imp. Critical: Unarmed attack , Imp. Trip , Instant up

Skills ( 9 pp)
Acrobatics 0 (+ 0 ), Deception 0 (+ 1 ), Athletics 0 (+ 4 ), Expertise( Science ) 9 (+ 13 ), Insight 0 (+ 2 ), Treatment 6 (+ 10 ), Persuasion 0 (+ 1 ), Technology 0 (+ 4 ), Close (unarmed) 0 (+ 9 ), Sleight of Hand 0 (+ 0 ), Ranged combat (Blast) 0 (+ 0 ), Perception 6 (+ 8 ), Intimidation 6 (+ 9 ), Investigation 0 (+ 4 ), Stealth 0 (+ -2 ).

Offence
Initiative: 0
Throw + 5 Attack for DC: 16/20 Range: Ranged
Unarmed + 9/7 Attack for DC: 17/21 Range: Melee, reach 30ft. applies grab
Grab + 9/7 Attack for DC: 14/18 Range: Melee, reach 30ft.
Quick-vine + 9/7 Attack for DC: 18 Range: 1st: Impaired and Hindered, 2nd: Immobile and Prone. Resisted by Fort. Extra condition (+1), Limited degree (-1), Linked: Unnarmed attack
Knockout spores + 9/7 Attack for DC: 18 Range: 1st: Dazed and Vulnerable, 2nd: Defenseless and Stunned. Resisted by Fort. Extra condition (+1), Limited degree (-1), Linked: Unnarmed attack
Charming spores + 9/7 Attack for DC: 18 Range: 1st: Entranced, 2nd: Compelled, 3rd Controlled. Resisted by Fort., Linked: Unnarmed attack

Defence ( 18 pp)
Parry: Rank ( 4 ) + Feat/power ( 0 ) + Equipment ( -2 )= 8/6
Dodge: Rank ( 10 ) + Feat/power ( 0 ) + Equipment ( -2 )= 8/6
Toughness: Feat/power ( 0 ) + Equipment ( 0 )= 8/10
Fortitude: Rank ( 0 ) + Feat/power ( 0 ) + Equipment ( 0 )= 8/10
Will: Rank ( 4 ) + Feat/power ( 2 ) + Equipment ( 0 )= 8/6

Power points
Abilities 26 + Defences 18 + Skills 9 + Advanteges 6 + Powers 61 = 120
Last edited by Camus on Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ
Arkrite

Re: Mr. FIX I.T.

Post by Arkrite »

Loneclaw wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:24 am Yeah, dragons tend to get around enough to even make Zeus blush. :p
Arkrite wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:56 pm Felix Ian Xavier - PL 8
Fix I.T. Electronic Repairs Store - PL 8
I... have a feeling that Disney's lawyers may want a word with you. xD
*facepalm*

Worst part? I actively remember thinking "Oh wait, I can't use Felix because of Wreck-It Ralph" and then an hour later I'd apparently forgotten entirely thinking "Hey, Felix, like Felix the cat! That's an awesome idea."

Note to self: Vacation. Soon. :lol:
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Seems you found a way to make it work in Bladewind's place, Hm? ;)

Still, seems like an interesting build with a compelling backstory. I'd like to know about what exactly that intermedial stage between human and Treant was, his true form perhaps? As well, how do the afflictions he has operate, is it a second attack he roles after hitting with unarmed?

@Arkite: Hahaha, I do like the name though. It seems to fit his character, though if you'd liie to change it that's fine too. There's still time for that.
------------
Camus

Post by Camus »

Thanks! yeah that would be his true mutant form. A blob of goo =) A mass of stem cells looking for a sample to copy. If he had fallen on a spider, then it would have been spider man.
The afflictions are AP of each other, and as linked to unnarmed attack, if he connects with the unarrmed hit, it will trigger the active affliction.
Sprout vines is an AP of sprout spines, so he either has enhanced fighting offensive with the vines, or a defensive spine growth that hurts attackers.
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

I was focusing too much on the spirit and the link to the tree or sculpted object. I'm kinda glad it didn't work as I like Camus' take on a treant...

I cleaned up the build a little, backstory to be posted later. In the end, I took off the mental communication/ comprehend. I never actually tried an effectively mute character, so we'll see where it goes (assuming he's chosen).
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

@Camus: *Cusps chin* Perhaps in this sense... His actual heritage is that of a nature spirit, with his body being transformed into the closest equivalent. I like how he is in the end, I just wanted to make sure hia backstory fully aligned with the setting is all.

@Bladewind: I've played a mute character before, myself, though he at least could write things out in a notebook when needed. I'm curious to see how it would work out for you too.
------------
Camus

Post by Camus »

Doctor Malsyn wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:22 pm @Camus: *Cusps chin* Perhaps in this sense... His actual heritage is that of a nature spirit, with his body being transformed into the closest equivalent. I like how he is in the end, I just wanted to make sure hia backstory fully aligned with the setting is all.

@Bladewind: I've played a mute character before, myself, though he at least could write things out in a notebook when needed. I'm curious to see how it would work out for you too.
Perhaps I was focusing too much on biology and the virus thing
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ