Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Captain Hook

Post by Jabroniville »

CAPTAIN JAMES HOOK
Played by:
Dustin Hoffman
Role: The Big Bad, Pirate King, Large Ham
PL 8 (113)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 12 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Athletics 5 (+7)
Deception 4 (+7)
Expertise (Pirate) 9 (+10)
Expertise (Singing & Dancing) 2 (+6)
Insight 2 (+3)
Intimidation 3 (+7)
Investigation 1 (+2)
Perception 2 (+3)
Persuasion 6 (+10)
Stealth 2 (+6)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Equipment 2 (Pistol +4, Sword +2), Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Sword) 2, Improved Critical (Hook), Improved Disarm, Power Attack, Startle, Ranged Attack 9

Powers:
"Hook" Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Improved Hold, Split) (Note: Removable) [3]
"Nobody Ages in Neverland, I Guess" Immunity 1 (Aging) [1]

Equipment:
"Pistol" Blast 4 (Flaws: Full-Round Action to Reload) (4) -- (5)
  • AE: "Sword" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Improved Critical) (3)
Features 1: Keeps an Extra Sword as a Spring-Loaded Last Chance (1)

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Hook +11 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Sword +11 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Pistol +11 (+4 Ranged Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +3, Fortitude +4, Will +7

Complications:
Temper- Captain Hook is not a very calm individual. He'll shoot a man mid-credenza if he's being annoying, and even treats Smee terribly at times. He even locked a Pirate in a horrible box of scorpions for betting against him once.
Phobia (The Crocodile)- Hook's hand was tossed to the Crocodile years ago, and the beast has hunted him ever since, eager for another taste. Hook cowers at the tell-tale "Tick-Tock" of the beast's clock (another thing he'd swallowed), even after the beast is dead.
Enemy (Peter Pan)- Killing Peter Pan consumes Hook so much that he goes back to Earth and kidnaps his children, all to ensure a great final war.
Responsibility (Never Breaks a Promise)- Captain Hook promises not to lay a finger (OR a HOOK!) on Peter Pan, and so creates the usual villainous runaround on such deals. He even promises to give Peter Pan 3 days, and holds himself to it.

Total: Abilities: 58 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 19 / Powers: 4 / Defenses: 14 (113)

-Hook gets a surprisingly-small amount of dignity in Peter Pan, being treated as a Butt-Monkey to fate as much as anything. He hams it up and flies off the handle like a good Disney Villain should, but he's frequently humiliated and turned into a cowering wreck to the point where it's hard to feel anything but SORRY for the guy. He was often handily beaten by Peter (and had to force Peter to accept to remain land-bound to gain the advantage), but is still a pretty decent fighter in his own right. In effect, he's a predecessor to King John, but is a good bit more bad-ass.
Spectrum

Re: Jab’s Builds (Namora! Moira MacTaggert! Magneto!)

Post by Spectrum »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:38 am Meanwhile, Edmonton has legit superheroes, lol: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gjGCoEHFDfk. Hawaiian Shirt Guy and 2x4 Guy have already entered local lexicon.

Ps this takes place literally a block from my apartment, and two from my work :).
Jab- do you want to tell us something about things that you're doing outside of builds? ;)
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds (Maggott! Mystique! Destiny! Hook! The Pan!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Time for some additional Overwatch characters!

That said... man, this game has really fallen into disrepair over the past year. Apparently half the fanbase has eroded, and fanart has COMPLETELY dried up, owing to Fortnight capturing the casual market and other games hitting meme status instead. The weak "Player (vs) Player" and "E-Sports" aspects of the game have hit it hard, too- repeated nerfings and moving around of characters in the tiers, and the too-complex engine (where it's apparently quite hard to tell who's winning and why) have slowly wrecked what was once the most talked-about game out there.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

Yeah, the FPS genre has really been taken over by the "Battle Royale" craze for the most part. It's to the point that everyone is trying to follow the fad and shoehorn the mode into games that it doesn't really fit in. That, and a lot of people were really annoyed at Activision/Blizzard for announcing a new Diablo game, sometihng that's been wanted for years since Diablo 3 came out..only for it to be a mobile game.
FuzzyBoots

Re: Captain Hook

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 8:17 pmCaptain Hook
Given part of the denouement involves Peter knock Hook's wig off and showing Hoffman's balding head, I think the implication is, at best, that he ages slowly. One of the fan theories in the Peter Pan fandom is that Neverland's lack of aging weakens at its borders, so the pirates being out to sea periodically means that age gets a chance to catch up with them. Of course, the other fan theory is that everyone except Peter is aging slowly, and the pirates are replaced by Lost Boys who've been kicked out for growing up.

I'm also still amused at them using Glenn Close for Gutless, the pirate put into the "Boo Box" of scorpions.

And it looks like my earlier post explaining my comment about the book versus the Disney movie got lost... I'd have to reread the book to get the exact quotes, but all of the comments by Hook about sportsmanlike conduct in their fight are a direct quote from the book, where Hook actually did subscribe to gentlemanly codes of fighting, in strict contrast to Peter, who would agree to fight honorably, and then kept forgetting and stooping to "cheat" by flying in the battles.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 8:27 pm Time for some additional Overwatch characters!

That said... man, this game has really fallen into disrepair over the past year. Apparently half the fanbase has eroded, and fanart has COMPLETELY dried up, owing to Fortnight capturing the casual market and other games hitting meme status instead. The weak "Player (vs) Player" and "E-Sports" aspects of the game have hit it hard, too- repeated nerfings and moving around of characters in the tiers, and the too-complex engine (where it's apparently quite hard to tell who's winning and why) have slowly wrecked what was once the most talked-about game out there.
It doesn't help that Activision (which owns a good chunk of Blizzard) pulled seniority and fired a good number of developers from both Overwatch and Heroes of the Storm.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Woodclaw

Re: Captain Hook

Post by Woodclaw »

FuzzyBoots wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 9:12 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 8:17 pmCaptain Hook
Given part of the denouement involves Peter knock Hook's wig off and showing Hoffman's balding head, I think the implication is, at best, that he ages slowly. One of the fan theories in the Peter Pan fandom is that Neverland's lack of aging weakens at its borders, so the pirates being out to sea periodically means that age gets a chance to catch up with them. Of course, the other fan theory is that everyone except Peter is aging slowly, and the pirates are replaced by Lost Boys who've been kicked out for growing up.

I'm also still amused at them using Glenn Close for Gutless, the pirate put into the "Boo Box" of scorpions.

And it looks like my earlier post explaining my comment about the book versus the Disney movie got lost... I'd have to reread the book to get the exact quotes, but all of the comments by Hook about sportsmanlike conduct in their fight are a direct quote from the book, where Hook actually did subscribe to gentlemanly codes of fighting, in strict contrast to Peter, who would agree to fight honorably, and then kept forgetting and stooping to "cheat" by flying in the battles.
Well, one of the often maligned subtexts of the original work was that Hook was, in fact, the closest thing to father's figure Peter ever had. Also, in one of the first draft, J.M. Barrie explained that his original idea was for Peter to be this almost diabolical character that stole kids from their parents.

Jabroniville

Ashe

Post by Jabroniville »

ASHE (Elizabeth Caledonia Ashe)
Role:
Smartass Southern Belle
Fetish Targets: Cowgirls, Southerners
Group Affiliations: The Deadlock Gang
PL 9 (141)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 8 (+10)
Deception 5 (+8)
Expertise (Survival) 4 (+7)
Expertise (Criminal) 10 (+12)
Insight 4 (+7)
Perception 7 (+10)
Persuasion 6 (+9)
Technology 4 (+5)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Equipment 8 (Guns), Evasion 2, Improved Critical (Guns), Move-By Action, Ranged Attack 7, Set-Up, Sidekick 24 (B.O.B.), Teamwork

Equipment:
"Viper- Automatic Setting" Blast 5 (Extras: Multiattack) (Inaccurate -1) (14)
"Viper- Single Shots" Blast 5 (Feats: Improved Critical) (11)
"Coach Gun" Blast 8 (Feats: Improved Critical) (Inaccurate -1) & Leaping 2 (30 feet) (19)
"Dynamite" Blast 8 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst, Secondary Effect 6) (30)

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Viper +12 (+5 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
Viper- Automatic +10 (+5 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
Coach Gun +10 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +7

Complications:
Power Loss (Ammo)- Ashe must reload regularly, and more slowly than other fighters.
Motivation (Greed)- Ashe runs the Deadlock gang of criminals.

Total: Abilities: 56 / Skills: 48--24 / Advantages: 46 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 15 (141)

-Ashe was very popular upon her introduction, quickly gaining some meme status for her "BOB... DO something!" call. With a very bad-ass "Cowgirl Asthetic", she was very memorable and distinctive in a game already crowded with beautiful women, but some have noted that there's ANOTHER platinum blonde-haired girl named Ashe out there, hailing from League of Legends. The character boasts of a past relationship with the former outlaw, McCree.

-Ashe was a classic "Bored Rich Girl", growing up with busy, absentee parents who were acting as consultants to CEOs around the world- she started stealing and roughing people up at school, and after a brief arrest, met up with Jesse McCree and formed a criminal gang, getting off on outwitting her targets. She formed an alliance between all the gangs in the American Southwest, opening up opportunities for success, as the gangs no longer had to war with each other and cost themselves resources. Her & McCree could push each other's buttons, but according to her, there was no romance- he "wasn't her type". When he was captured by, and later joined, Overwatch, she kept his picture... on the dartboard in her hideout.

-Ashe specializes in a "Run 'n' Gun" style gameplay type, firing away while staying mobile- her shots are best at mid-range (where she can use two types of guns, and exploding Dynamite), but she can't handle close combat, and so the Coach Gun is used to blast her backwards, away from enemy counter-attacks. Calling B.O.B. is her Ultimate, which is more of a Sidekick than the Powers usually given for such things in this series. Most of her points come from B.O.B., actually, as her other powers are based around Equipment (being non-fancy guns and... regular dynamite).

B.O.B.
Role:
Robot Butler, Powerhouse
Fetish Targets: Nothing (I Hope)
PL 9 (117)
STRENGTH
7 STAMINA -- AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Athletics 2 (+9)
Expertise (Butler) 8 (+9)
Insight 4 (+4)
Perception 5 (+5)
Ranged Combat (Guns) 2 (+8)
Technology 2 (+3)

Advantages:
Close Attack, Favored Environment (Doing Something), Improved Critical (Guns), Power Attack, Ranged Attack 6

Powers:
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
Protection 10 [10]
"Punch" Strength-Damage +2 [2]

"Turret Mode"
Blast 8 (Extras: Multiattack) [24]
Reduced Defenses 2 [-4]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Punch +8 (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Turret Mode +8 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +10, Fortitude --, Will +4

Complications:
Prejudice (Omnic)- Omnics are hated and mistrusted over much of the world, after the Omnica Corporation's robots attempted a global takeover. Many countries give them no rights at all.
Responsibility (Honor System)- B.O.B. only rarely gets involved in the fight- about as often as other characters use their Ultimate Powers.

Total: Abilities: 22 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 62 / Defenses: 10 (117)

-B.O.B. has a ton of Health, but not that much defense, and is largely there to guard/aid Ashe for a respite here and there. His punches do HELLACIOUS damage, and he can also lay down supressing fire. He is Ashe's omnic butler from when she was a little girl, and continues to aid her in her criminal enterprises.
KorokoMystia

Re: Jab’s Builds (Mystique! Destiny! Hook! The Pan! Ashe!)

Post by KorokoMystia »

It is kinda odd that League of Legends has a similar character, but..that game has like 143 (!!) playable characters, so it might be inevitable for there to be some overlap (Though there was that time where League of Legends, along with Smite and DOTA 2, all introduced a character based on Sun Wukong around the same time. I know he's public domain, but..)
And speaking of League of Legends's Ashe:
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Being voiced by Jennifer Hale certainly didn't hurt Ashe's popularity at all either.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Ares wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 11:41 pm Being voiced by Jennifer Hale certainly didn't hurt Ashe's popularity at all either.
Not in the slightest. if you want someone to play a badass fem character Jen Hale is top of the line
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Ares wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 11:41 pm Being voiced by Jennifer Hale certainly didn't hurt Ashe's popularity at all either.
She was at the Comic Expo recently. I feel bad I never talked to any of these people. Just too many options and too much money, lol. Jennifer Hale, Grey Delisle, Jim Cummings, John DiMaggio, Pinky & The Brain, etc.
Jabroniville

Baptiste

Post by Jabroniville »

BAPTISTE (Jean-Baptiste Augustin)
Role:
Healer, Combat Medic
Fetish Targets: BBC, Doctor
PL 8 (135)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 8 (+10)
Deception 5 (+8)
Expertise (Survival) 4 (+7)
Expertise (Criminal) 10 (+12)
Insight 4 (+7)
Perception 7 (+10)
Persuasion 6 (+9)
Technology 4 (+5)

Advantages:
Evasion, Move-By Action, Ranged Attack 5, Set-Up, Teamwork

Powers:
"Biotic Launcher" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [30]
"Healing Payload" Blast 6 (Extras: Area- 15ft. Burst +1/2, Selective) Linked to Healing 8 (Extras: Area- 15ft. Burst +1/2, Selective) (45) -- (49 points)
  • AE: Blast 6 (12)
  • AE: "Regenerative Burst" Healing 8 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst, Selective) (32)
  • AE: "Immortality Field" Healing 10 (Extras: Ranged, Area- 30ft. Burst, Selective, Resurrection) (Flaws: Limited to Badly Injured/Nearly Dying, Limited to Bare Recovery) (40)
  • AE: "Amplification Matrix" Blast +4 (Extras: Affects Others, Ranged, Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Unreliable- 5/day) Linked to Healing +4 (Extras: Affects Others, Ranged, Area- 30ft. Burst) (32)
Equipment:
"Exo Boots" Leaping 2 (30 feet) (2)

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Blaster +10 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +7

Complications:
Power Loss (Ammo)- Baptiste must reload regularly, and must sometimes wait between applications of moves.
Motivation (Helping Others)- Baptiste seeks to help those impacted by war.
Enemy (Talon)- Baptiste turned on Talon, and now they send agents after him, hoping for revenge. His former mentor, Cuerva, now leads one strike unit sent against him.

Total: Abilities: 56 / Skills: 48--24 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 30 / Defenses: 16 (135)

-Baptiste is... the most-recent character introduced, and had the least fanfare, being a male Healer with some pretty basic stuff. I mean, it's a bit late in the game. He's a former operative of Talon- having grown up orphaned by the Omnic Crisis, and joined the mercenary organization for lack of anywhere else to go. The increasing brutality of their missions made him realize that he was just perpetuating the cycle of violence, even though he was using his paycheck to create medical clinics in his hometown. He saw the light, and now fights to improve the lives of those impacted by war.

-Baptiste is another Blast-themed Healer who can boost up allies with Ranged Bursts, but is also capable of an "Amplification Matrix", which creates a field that enhances friendly blasts & healing that passes through it. Which is basically... a Ranged Boost thingie. It's a bit weird for M&M, but this Ranged Burst Affects Others thing kind of covers it.
JDRook

Post by JDRook »

KorokoMystia wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 11:12 pm It is kinda odd that League of Legends has a similar character, but..that game has like 143 (!!) playable characters, so it might be inevitable for there to be some overlap . . .
Two platinum blonde female ranged weapon fighters from influential backgrounds named Ashe? That doesn't pass the sniff test to me. Ashe wasn't just one of LoL's characters, she was one of the original ones; I think she was even the character in whatever passed for a tutorial when I played it. So the odds of this character going through layers of design and approval by gaming industry professionals without someone saying "Hey, doesn't this remind you of . . ." seem slim to none.

I don't think it's a sign of the apocalypse or anything like some online discussions, but it does make me curious about the process and whether they legitimately didn't notice (which seems unlikely) or didn't think making a few changes (different hair colour, different name or even different spelling of Ashe) was worth the trouble.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

JDRook wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 4:20 am
KorokoMystia wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 11:12 pm It is kinda odd that League of Legends has a similar character, but..that game has like 143 (!!) playable characters, so it might be inevitable for there to be some overlap . . .
Two platinum blonde female ranged weapon fighters from influential backgrounds named Ashe? That doesn't pass the sniff test to me. Ashe wasn't just one of LoL's characters, she was one of the original ones; I think she was even the character in whatever passed for a tutorial when I played it. So the odds of this character going through layers of design and approval by gaming industry professionals without someone saying "Hey, doesn't this remind you of . . ." seem slim to none.

I don't think it's a sign of the apocalypse or anything like some online discussions, but it does make me curious about the process and whether they legitimately didn't notice (which seems unlikely) or didn't think making a few changes (different hair colour, different name or even different spelling of Ashe) was worth the trouble.
The problem is that LoL's Ashe started as an expy of Blizzard's character Sylvanas Windrunner, so the entire thing was done either as F.U. to Riot Games or a double copy of sort.