Gods Amongst Man Epoch (3e M&M Recruitment to 07/27)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
pathfinderq1

Re: Gods Amongst Man Epoch (3e M&M Recruitment)

Post by pathfinderq1 »

So, just a couple of random background-y questions:
1. Are we the only superhumans in the world post-event? My impression is that there are others, but not as many as in a "Standard" superhero setting. If there are others, were they created by similar Trigger events? If there are NOT others, were there any NPCs created during our event, or are we (the PCs) the sum total of all survivors?

2> The concept indicates that we should appear human unless "Powered UP" (and maybe even then). Do we need to appear exactly as we did before, or is just human enough? My main idea involves someone who is older, weathered and scarred, but their powers are slowly unwinding all of that, reworking them into a younger, healthier, even improved version of their younger self even when not actively Powered UP. As an example, the day after the event, maybe a few less age lines around the eyes, a few less grey hairs- a week later, she no longer needs those reading glasses, and so on. In her Powered state, she is fully reset, still appearing human but a younger idealized self (where her powers will put her base form, eventually). The idea here is to explore a bit of identity- does losing the scars and changes one acquired change who you are inside?

>Overall, I should have a short-form draft background up in the next day or so, but the basic idea is thus: a former career RCMP officer (mostly as a detective) who was always more focused on the people she saved rather than the perps she put away (or put down), Gwen Caldwell was nearly burnt out before she and her long-time partner got into a fight they couldn't win. She was injured and her partner was killed- but she was too good to give up, and was promoted to Officer status. But between the physical scars of her career, the PTSD, and the stress of no longer being able to DO The Job, she retired to the countryside. A few years of rest has helped, but with the changes wrought by the Event, is she ready to take up her burdens again? At base, a very skilled (but human level) detective, who is firmly committed to the ideas of Justice and of helping people- now empowered with some degree of Paragon-ness (mostly an empowered form, but more subtle changes to her normal body as well.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

1) As far as you are aware, you are it. You'll learn quickly in game that this event seems to be a one off, or at the very least no others have been reported anywhere. You are the sun of the survivors.

2) The main point of the concept for this is that the characters for all intents and purposes appear unaffected by what happened. Suddenly getting more hale would be kind of telling that something has in fact happened. If she were to "revert" to an idealized prime state while powered up, that would be suitably fine though. It would actually make for an interesting disguise of sorts, and maybe likening feeling young and strong again, she stays "powered up" except when meeting with people she knows are expecting to see and older woman.
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

EE - any thoughts on the concept I posted back on page 3? Wanted to work some more on it, the duplication may go completely or might get reduced to one dupe if I keep it... don`t go to much into deets on the mechanics, just an overview... plz
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Bladewind's 3ed M&M Builds
The Merge Setting document
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Without going too much into numbers and mechanics, the summon effect and the morph effect stand out as a little odd.

The thing that made me scratch my head is controlling color pigments to look like clothing or what have you, or putting consciousness into other material for the minions thing.

All in all the power set could do to be tightened up with a finer description or defined a little differently.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

I'm curious if you have concerns, questions, etc. for Jackson as well.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Supernaturalist

Post by Supernaturalist »

Ok, I'm gonna post the character concept in a moment. First off, I'll just confess that the character-concept (at least as far as powers go) is heavily influenced by Hyperion. I love his whole story-arc with Thor. Anyway, aside from the power similarities (and appearance :oops: ), the actual background, motivations, and complications are radically different. In a sound-byte, he is the reluctant (even resentful) paragon, a man who might just trade away the chance to be "superman" if someone could only help him do it. I have not settled on an actual superhero name for him yet. I'd be content to let that play out during roleplay (though I do have an option via his Lit-teacher wife if nothing natural arises during the story).
Supernaturalist

Post by Supernaturalist »

Lloyd Lee Tremblay

Born: Kelowna, British Columbia
Resides: Kelowna, British Columbia
Height: 6’2”
Weight: 250 lbs.
Language: English
Wife: Margie
Children: Two Sons - Grant (4 years old) and Luke (1 year old)

PL: 12 (201 pts)

ABILITIES: (72pp)
STRENGTH 14, STAMINA 10, AGILITY 1, DEXTERITY 1, FIGHTING 6, INTELLECT 1, AWARENESS 1, PRESENCE 2

SKILLS: (Non-combat 2pp=6 sp, Combat 7pp=14sp; Total 9pp)
Athletics 1 (+15), Close Combat (Unarmed) 4 (+10), Expertise: Plumbing 1 (+2), Intimidation 2 (+4), Perception 1(+2), Ranged Combat (Gamma-Ray Eyes) 5(+10), Ranged Combat (Thrown) 5(+10), Technology 1 (+2)

ADVANTAGES: (6 pp) (2 free social)
Attractive, Interpose, Power Attack, Ranged Combat 4, Startle

POWERS: (88pp)
“Invulnerable”
Protection 4 (4pp)
Impervious Toughness 14 (14pp)
Immunity (Life Support) (10 pp)

“Really Strong”
Enhanced Strength 6 (25,000 Tons total) [Flaw: Only for Lifting] (6pp)
…Strength-Based AE: "Seismic Slam" Affliction 12 (Strength/Athletics; Hindered & Vulnerable/Stunned & Defenseless) (Extras: Burst Area, Extra Condition) (Flaws: Limited Degree, Both Must Be Grounded, Instant Recovery) Linked to Area Damage 12 (1pp)

“A Man Who Can Fly”
Flight 9 (1000 M.P.H.) (18pp)
Movement 1 (Spacetravel) (1pp)

“Gamma-Ray Eyes”
Ranged (Radiation) Damage 14 (28pp)

“Super-Senses”
Senses 6 (Extended Vision 2, Extended Hearing 1, Infravision, Ultra-Hearing, Ultra-Vision) (6pp)

OFFENSE:
Initiative +1
Close Combat: Unarmed (+10), DC 29
Ranged Attack: Gamma-Ray Eyes (+10), DC 29
Ranged Attack: Thrown (+10), DC 29

DEFENSES: (26)
Dodge +10 [DC20]
Parry +10 [DC20]
Toughness +14
Fortitude +16,
Will +8

Abilities 72 + Skills 9 + Advantages 6 + Powers 88 + Defenses 26 = 201 / 201

COMPLICATIONS:
Motivation: Family - Though Lloyd doesn't aspire to be a hero, he cares deeply about how he and his family are treated by the public. Anything that would bring disdain, scorn, or harassment down on his family is something to be avoided. This may put a lot of pressure on Lloyd to be the hero he is unwilling to be.

Motivation: Normalcy - Lloyd was very happy prior to "The Event" that changed him. He will strongly resist the propensity of his new identity to radically change the routines of his pre-Event lifestyle. If he cannot maintain his normal life, then he has potential for great resentment.

Complication: - Power Loss - There is a substance unknown to Lloyd that greatly reduces (or even eliminates) his meta-human abilities when he is in close proximity to it.

Complication: Family - The more his identity as a meta-human becomes public knowledge, the more his family can be used as leverage to manipulate and/or hurt Lloyd.

Background:
Lloyd Tremblay is low-profile, blue-collar worker residing in Kelowna, British Columbia. He has lived there all his life and plans to live out his days there working, playing, and raising a family. He is primarily a plumber by profession, but earns extra income as low-tech "handy-man" and laborer. His wife Margie is a high school literature teacher; together they are a solidly "middle-class" family. Their two sons are quite young and Lloyd's mother-in-law assists in the daycare responsibilities while Margie and Lloyd are at work. When he's not at work, he loves fishing, hunting, softball, camping, hiking, motorcycles, and spending time with his wife and kids.

Life as he knows it is about to profoundly change...possibly forever.
Last edited by Supernaturalist on Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Doctor Malsyn wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 12:53 am I'm curious if you have concerns, questions, etc. for Jackson as well.
Me too. I expressed my own "normal game" concerns about Kara. But I'm more interested in your thoughts on her being able to see everything, including thoughts.
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

EpicEclipse wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 10:04 pm
2) The main point of the concept for this is that the characters for all intents and purposes appear unaffected by what happened. Suddenly getting more hale would be kind of telling that something has in fact happened. If she were to "revert" to an idealized prime state while powered up, that would be suitably fine though. It would actually make for an interesting disguise of sorts, and maybe likening feeling young and strong again, she stays "powered up" except when meeting with people she knows are expecting to see and older woman.
-Understood- thank you for the clarification. In that case, I will probably push the character a bit younger (to her mid/late 40s) and have most of the damage that caused her early retirement be more subtle. Any physical changes to her base form will be quite subtle , and could be attributed to post-Event response (for example, getting off the booze and pain meds she was using too much of, finally taking her PT seriously). All major changes will be saved for the 'Powered UP' form.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

I was going to ask how well known is it that we were in the "blast radius" and yet we survived but I'm guessing that will be revealed when you describe the event.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

For Jackson, looks good on a surface level. I like the whole "He sorta has psychic powers, but his mind is so powerful, he can't use those powers properly, it just immediately overwhelms any other mind he touches". It a neat quirk of the psychic archetype.

The problem with a power concept of being able to see everything is that it can ruin a lot of surprises, secrets, and things of those nature that can make a story interesting. Basically, being able to see through anything short of illusions within around 16 miles, in a radius of 2000 feet or so, and with near maxed out perception and investigation skills AND Well Informed, that's tantamount to being able to "skip ahead in the book" as it were. It's a power setup that can very easily break the game.

You also cannot give a permanent power alternate effects, nor can it be one itself. Says so right in the description of Alternate Effect.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

EpicEclipse wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 3:31 pm The problem with a power concept of being able to see everything is that it can ruin a lot of surprises, secrets, and things of those nature that can make a story interesting. Basically, being able to see through anything short of illusions within around 16 miles, in a radius of 2000 feet or so, and with near maxed out perception and investigation skills AND Well Informed, that's tantamount to being able to "skip ahead in the book" as it were. It's a power setup that can very easily break the game.
That's why I asked. I'll make a different super.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Next hero. A bit more traditional. Far less rules wobbly.
EDIT: I added an actual Energy Form (Insub) effect. I'm still playing with the numbers here.

Spark
(Hero; PL: 12; PP: 200/200)

Strength: 0; Agility: 0; Fighting: 0; Awareness: 3
Stamina: 6; Dexterity: 0; Intellect: 3; Presence: 3/0

Dodge: 10, Parry: 10, Fortitude: 12, Toughness: 14, Will: 12

COMBAT
Initiative: +0; Close: +0; Ranged: +0
  • Grab: +0 (Special DC 10) Range: Close
  • Nerve Shock: Cumulative Burst Area Affliction 12: (Fortitude DC 22) Range: 30 feet radius sphere, dc 22
  • Shock 'Em All: Burst Area Damage 12: (DC 27)
  • Shut It All Down: Burst Area Nullify 12: (DC 22) [Electricity] Range: Close
  • Sparks: Damage 14: +10 (DC 29) [Electricity] Range: 350/700/1400 ft.
  • Static Cling: Move Object 12: +10 (DC 29) Range: 300/600/1200 ft.
  • Tazer: Cumulative Affliction 14: +10 (Fortitude DC 24) Range: 350/700/1400 ft.
  • Throw: +0 (DC 15)
  • Unarmed: +0 (DC 15) Range: Close
SKILLS: Athletics +0; Deception +15 (12r); Expertise: Fine Cuisine and Spirits +15 (12r); Expertise: Fine Restaurants of the World +12 (9r); Insight +10 (7r); Intimidation +10 (7r); Investigation +15 (12r); Perception +15 (12r); Persuasion +12 (9r); Stealth +10 (10r); Technology +15 (9r)

LANGUAGES: English; French

ADVANTAGES: Accurate Attack, Attractive (free), Benefit: Expense Account (kinda like Millionaire, but actually just Well Off and a Diner's Club card, Connected (free), Eidetic Memory, Fascinate (Persuasion) (free), Fast Grab (free), Improved Grab (free), Improved Hold (free), Languages 1, Luck 3, Power Attack, Tracking

POWERS
  • (House Rule) INT based bonus skills - Flaws: Device: Removable (Free)
    • Enhanced Trait: Enhanced Trait 1 - Traits: Technology +3 (free)
  • (House Rule) PRE-based advantages: Enhanced Presence 3 +3 PRE - Ability: Presence; Advantages: Attractive, Connected, Fascinate (Persuasion); Flaws: Limited: Free Advantage for each point of PRE (6 PP)
  • Electrical Sense: Senses 8 - Accurate: Electronics, Acute: Electronics, Analytical: Electronics, Detect: Electronics 2 (Ranged), Radio, Radius: Electronics (8 PP)
  • Electromagnetic Adaption: Immunity 6 - Damage Effect: Electricity, Environmental Condition: Radiation (6 PP)
  • Element Control: Electrical - (55 PP)
    • Lightning Body - Activation: Free Action (1 PP)
      Kara's body (and clothes) turn into a vaguely human-shaped field of sparkling energy.
      • Electrical Storm: Insubstantial 3 Energy - (15 PP)
      • No Body: Immunity 22 - Alteration Effects, Critical Hits, Disease, Environmental Condition: Cold, Environmental Condition: Heat, Environmental Condition: High Pressure, Environmental Condition: Vacuum, Poison, Sensory Affliction Effects, Sleep, Starvation & Thirst, Suffocation (All) (22 PP)
      • The Wired Dimension: Movement 1 - Dimensional: The power/telephone grid. This is where she goes when she's "stuck" in the grid 1 (One dimension, 50 lbs.); Extras: Linked: Travel by Wire: Teleport 12; Flaws: Limited: Entering and Leaving the DImension is controlled by linked power. (1 PP)
      • Travel by Wire: Teleport 12 Carry 50 lbs. - Extras: Extended (4000 miles in 2 move actions); Flaws: Custom: Must make DC 20 Technology check to leave the grid. Otherwise, she's stuck until she makes t (Must make dc 20 technology check to leave the grid. otherwise, she's stuck until she makes the check), Limited to Extended, Medium: Telephone System and Power Grid, Quirk: Limited to 10 lbs of additional material: clothing, purse, shoes. (11 PP)
    • Nerve Shock: Cumulative Burst Area Affliction 12 - 1st degree: Hindered, 2nd degree: Immobile, 3rd degree: Incapacitated, Resisted by: Fortitude; Extras: Area (Burst) (30 feet radius sphere, dc 22), Cumulative, Selective (1 PP)
      A torrent of electricity bursts around her.
    • Shock 'Em All: Burst Area Damage 12 - Extras: Area (Burst) 2 (60 feet radius sphere, dc 22), Selective (1 PP)
    • Shut It All Down: Burst Area Nullify 12 - Counters: Technological devices (Electric-based); Extras: Area (Burst) 2 (60 feet radius sphere, dc 22), Broad, Selective; Flaws: Reduced Range (Close); Descriptors: Electricity (1 PP)
      She absorbs the eneregy of device nearby.
    • Sparks: Damage 14 - Extras: Accurate 5 (+10), Affects Insubstantial 2 (Full rank), Increased Range (Ranged), Multiattack; Descriptors: Electricity (1 PP)
      Affects Insubstantial because ghosts seem to react to electromagnetics.
    • Static Cling: Move Object 12 100 tons - Advantages: Fast Grab, Improved Grab, Improved Hold; Extras: Accurate 5 (+10), Damaging, Precise, Throwing Mastery 2 (1 PP)
      Static energy flows around the object, lifting it into the air.
    • Tazer: Cumulative Affliction 14 - 1st degree: Hindered, 2nd degree: Immobile, 3rd degree: Incapacitated, Resisted by: Fortitude; Extras: Accurate 5 (+10), Cumulative, Increased Range (Ranged), Indirect 2 (Any point away) (49 PP)
      The static generated can be generated anywhere in range and then moves away from her.
  • Force Field: Protection 8 +8 Toughness - Extras: Sustained; Descriptors: Electricity (8 PP)
    Motes of electricity dance around her body, protecting her from damage.
  • Native among machines: Concealment 1 - Other Sense: Electronic Sensors (2 PP)
    The camera shows her plain as day. Her voice is heard clearly. But the electronic systems monitoring the sensors for anomalies, ignore her.
  • Regeneration: Regeneration 2 Every 5 rounds - Flaws: Custom: Medium: External electrical source (1 PP)
  • Static Disruption: Environment 6 Radius: 900 feet - Other: Obscure machine/electronic communications 2 (13 PP)
    Like -5 Visibility/Silence but for cameras, listening devices, etc.
    • Alt: Multiple Effects - (1 PP)
      • Broadcasting: Radio Communication 2 - 1 mile (8 PP)
      • Speaks Binary: Comprehend 2 - Machines / Electronics (4 PP)
Eyes: Blue Hair: Brunette
Height: 5' 7" Weight:137 lb.

BACKGROUND
Kara Karsten was born in a small town in Wyoming. She went to Florida for college to get away from the one stop-light town she hated. She felt there was a big world out there to learn about and she would not learn about it at her regional community college.

In college, she studied art history and eventually switched to food history. She is an expert in bread and other grain products throughout the world and history. She spent a few summers in France studying French cuisine.

There she met Vance Stanpoole, an up and coming chef who was about to open his first restaurant in Vancouver. He was a lecturer and she was ga-ga for him. They did not hook up in France. But later she was working as a food critic in Seattle and managed to find her way to his restaurant and they dated for a little while.

Out of college she worked for a Seattle newspaper as a beat reporter, learning investigation and stealth. A year into her stint, the former cuisine reporter retired and she took over, as she was promised when she was hired. Today, she is a reporter for Food and Wine magazine. She was reporting on the vinyards in the Okanagan valley when the event happened.

She had no idea most people had not survived nor that anything had happened to her until her hotel was having trouble with the WiFi and then just as she noticed a static charge around her, electricity flew out of eyes. It was a shocking moment until she could get it under control.

Back in Lysite, Wyoming, Bill and Donna Karsten, her parents still live. Jeremy, her younger brother lives there with his wife Emma and their two kids Forrest and Meryl. Kara has an older brother Douglas who also fled Wyoming and no one has seen in years. Last she heard, Doug was working in Taiwan as an English teacher.

COMPLICATIONS
  • Motivation: Doing Good
  • Power Loss: Total submersion in water makes it impossible for her to use any ranged or area powers. The electrical nature of water blocks them.
  • Quirk: Her hair is much frizzier than it was before. People who knew her before wonder why the formerly low-maintenance Kara is now going to the salon for permanent treatments. There's no other explanation for the way her hair poofs out the way it does except many salon treatments.
  • Relationship: On again/off again, she can never remember the state of her relationship with Vance Stanpoole, chef, restauranteur, bon vivant. He does seem to always be underfoot though.
  • Responsibility: Working as a food critic means being places and having to spend time wining and dining people.
MOVEMENT AND STRENGTH DATA
Size: Normal size ~6 ft.
Teleport: 4,000 miles per round, carrying 50 lbs.
Walking: 2 miles/hour; 30 feet/round; Running: 4 miles/hour; 60 feet/round
Swimming: 1/2 mile/hour; 6 feet/round
Jumping: Running 10 ft.; Standing 5 ft.; Vertical 2 ft.; Standing Vertical 1 ft.
Throwing Distances: 200 lbs. up to 6 ft, 50 lbs. up to 30 ft, 12 lbs. up to 120 ft

TOTALS: Abilities: 24, Powers: 99, Advantages: 9, Skills: 33, Defenses: 35 -> 200

HOUSE RULES
  • Skill Points: 3 Skill Points per PP
  • Optional Rules: Choose Starting PP
  • PRE-based Advantage per rank of PRE
  • Free skill point per rank of INT
Last edited by jmucchiello on Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:39 pm, edited 7 times in total.
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

Okay, here is what I have so far. This is just background, exact powers still under development. For now, let me know if the concept works, and I'll start the powers build.

>Short form: Gwen Caldwell was a cop in Toronto for more than 20 years, mostly a detective (and a very good one). She and her long-time partner worked Major Crimes (mostly Homicide, but some other things) and were the department's primary liaison officers, working with the RCMP and other organizations (including cross-border with the FBI). Gwen was the Detective, and most of the time she was the Bad Cop; "Sweet William" Grant was the Talker, and the Good Cop. They were a bit unorthodox, and were more concerned with saving people than with putting away perps. After one diplomatic incident went terribly wrong, Willie Grant and almost all of the civilians involved ended up dead. Gwen was injured, and after the backlash and the inquest she was temporarily promoted to Inspector, on the promise that she would retire as soon as she hit her 25-year service. It wasn't a tough choice, as it was only a year chained to a desk and she wasn't really fit for the field anymore (on a number of levels). She retired to the rural quiet of the Okanagan to crawl into a bottle- her therapist and her former co-workers all figured she was unable to cope with her failure, but too stubborn to die. She has started using reading glasses, and the persistent nerve damage has definitely been an issue, but her mind is still sharp, and her desire to do good and to help people is stronger than ever.

>Post event: Probably some form of paragon or powerhouse, transforming into an idealized version of her younger self. In "Normal" form, some minor changes, but nearly all of them can be attributed to things like quitting the booze and pills she was self-medicating with, starting to take her PT and exercise seriously, and getting a better dose of sleep and nutrition. Maybe in the long term (over several years) it might be noticed that she is recovering more than should be possible, but not at first. She is also (still) a very good detective, though on a human scale, not a mega-Intellect. On a personal level, she will try to come to terms with what has happened to her, and she will put her new abilities to use making the world better- and atoning for her past failures.

>Long form (tl; dr):

-Former Toronto Police Services officer, retired (Constable to Detective Sergeant, briefly Inspector). Detective (Major Crimes Squad) and occasional RCMP liaison officer.

My name is Gwen Caldwell. I was a cop for more than 20 years, Toronto Police Service, though we worked pretty closely with the RCMP, both O Division and the PPG- my partner and I were some of the primary liaison officers for TPS, even worked cross-border with the FBI a few times. I'd like to think I was a good cop- great memory, good at reading people, always up to learn new techniques and procedures. I worked up from Constable to Detective Sergeant, spent almost 15 years in Investigations, mostly Homicide. Partnered with Willie Grant, dear "Sweet William" for 12 of those years- lasted way longer than my marriage, or his. He was the Good Cop, with that charming smile- I was the Bad Cop, the "hatchet-faced, hound-eyed bit**" (takes a drink)

I always wanted to help people, that's why I got into the service. I was a Police Explorer in high school, part-time in the Service with I was still at University, straight in a a cadet once I graduated. Some cops, all they want to think about was perps they put away, or put down. And don't get me wrong, some of them needed to be put down. Not me. I always thought about the people I saved, the ones whose lives I pulled back from the brink. Kids I pulled out of situations you can't imagine, you don't WANT to imagine- who went on to something good. Men and women, caught in the trap of addiction or abuse, who are still walking the earth because of what I did, what we did. I even kept a file in my desk, letters and pictures from some of those people years later. That was what got me through the day, to pick up the badge and the gun every morning and get back out there.

Except, well, I didn't just remember them. (Takes a drink) I remember the ones we DIDN'T save- and there were an awful lot more of them. From kids that never made it out of diapers, to men and women so old they should have been holding their great-grandchildren. Shot, stabbed, starved, beaten, OD'd- and worse. That's what made me crawl into a bottle at the end of every day- killed my marriage, killed Sweet William's marriage. In the end, it killed him too. And I'm pretty sure it is going to kill me in the end. That's what they say about me, you know- that I moved out here to the peace and quiet of the countryside, just so I could wait to die. I know, I've read the files. How? Well, remember the part where I said I'm a detective? I'm not sure they are wrong- but I'm still pretty stubborn and I don't plan on dying soon. Deep down inside, maybe I think I'm not done- that there is something else I was intended to do before I go. I would ask a priest, but well, I haven't been to church in a long, long time. (Takes a longer drink)

Back in Toronto, just before things broke down... Willie and I, we had been pulled to work with the RCMP, their VIPSS group. Foreign diplomat and his family had been pulled out of their car. First it looked random, wrong turn in a bad neighborhood. Then the diplomat turned up dead, wife and kids still missing. PM's office went nuts, big international incident- VIPSS and TPS both pushed to the wall, heads were going to roll. Sweet William and I, we found them- I wish I could say it was good police work, but it was luck. We called for support- three minutes out, just about everything the city could roll. (Sighs, takes a drink)

Then the screaming started. We couldn't wait. We went in, up those stairs- Willie maybe a half-step ahead of me. That's why the shotgun blast hit him, tore him up but he was still game, maybe he would have lived. It was a firefight in the messy half-burnt warehouse, and it was over before the first units hit the block. The screaming cut off about when Willie got hit. It was bad. We saw what they had done to those kids, that poor woman, and something just snapped. I've always wanted to help people, wanted to follow the Law. But that last guy was stumbling out, totally defenseless, back towards me, empty hands up- empty hands still covered in the blood of those kids... (Reaches for the bottle again, but doesn't drink)

I put him down, shot him clean in the back. Pop, pop. That was it. I could hear the sirens outside, the boots running up the stairs, and I came back over to where Willie was propped up against the wall. He smiled up at me, that famous Sweet William smile crusted with his own blood. And he reached up, grabbed my gun, handed me his. I fell back against the other wall- I hadn't even realized I was shot.

He died in the ambulance. Inquest cleared me, but we didn't get to be heroes- we had been too late. Between the inquest and the injuries, I was out for six months- and when I came back I wasn't really fit for the field, so I got bumped up to Inspector, and a desk downtown. I hated it- good thing it was just a show, a sop so I could get my twenty-five in. And then I retired, moved out here to the sticks. Tried fishing, tried painting, ignored my PT, pretty much ignored the therapist, made a regular nuisance of myself at the RCMP field office. Got even more into reading, pretty much anything I could get my hands on, doing crossword puzzles, anything to keep my brain busy- too busy to think about the past. And I drank, and took the pills that the doctors had given me- to keep the rest of my brain from remembering my failures...
Last edited by pathfinderq1 on Wed May 22, 2019 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

I can't get inspired by the weather controller as every time I sit to write up a background it ends up uninspiring for me to play and a bit generic. So, instead, I am going to run with another idea I have.

Abstract:

Rick Jones was a normal guy. Had a run of the mill job in town, been a model citizen for the last few years since moving into the town, and largely kept a low profile. Underneath it all is a man with a dangerous past. Back in New York, he worked as an enforcer for the mob and got a reputation for someone you didn't want collecting on your debt. He tended to take it out on your body. A dead man can't pay off debts after all. As he got older though and met a girl, there is always a girl, who saw the better part of him. Turning states witness, he got a pass on his crimes plus a new identity in return for ratting out his bosses resulting in the mob family being taken down by the feds. The woman though suffered. The son of the mob boss who was taken out killed her in a failed hit against Rick. Grief stricken, he left the country to start a new life. Little did he know how new it would be.

Power Overview:

Power wise, I am either going to go the Crow type powers(channeling animals, very durable, penance stare, etc) or a darkness controller(fatigue affliction, make darkness, control shadows, etc).