The Merge - Gestalt Syndrome (M&M 3rd ED) - (Full) - OOC

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Doctor Malsyn

Re: The Merge - Gestalt Syndrome (M&M 3rd ED) - Interest

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Bladewind wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 4:30 pm
pathfinderq1 wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 12:17 pm >Also: Character-wise I WAS thinking a Buffy-style Slayer, but that seems like a poor choice with an actual vampire proposed. May re-skin as an empowered martial artist, or go with a fire controler.
Character wise - well, Buffy and Angel worked together...
They could either be bitter rivals... Or unprecedented best friends. :D

I'd be curious about what dynamic would form between such characters myself.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

Neo-Paladin wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 9:10 am Hometown would have been my suggestion as well :) Not sure how to build up my char, though as I am unsure what powers he should have. I do want to put some points into skills and advantages as he's a socially oriented character. Plus, a healthy dose of mental and physical attributes (devotion to Superman's ideal would mean he'd work out to stay fit and strong)...now, what powers should he have and from where...?
Just for my understanding, you're leaning toward someone who started a cult for those saved by the House of El but actually devoted to his ideals, right? You could go with any of his base powers... a paragon light, powerhouse, speedster...
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Bladewind's 3ed M&M Builds
The Merge Setting document
kirinke

Post by kirinke »

I think the general premis for Slayers is if you behave, they won't slay.

Btw, Alice's "weapons" aren't devices persae, the are simply a kind of mental projection of TK attacks.

Typing on a cellphone sucks.
Last edited by kirinke on Wed May 15, 2019 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kirinke's Compendium of Wondrous Creatures
Kirinke's Conversions (D&D Items to M&M3E Rules)

Battle Init
Viv: 24
Ren:22
Peekaboo: 20
Deutschritter: 19
Amy: 15
Angrboda: 15
Adeleth: 14
Thugs: 12
Lilly: 7
Alma: 5
Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin »

Bladewind wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 4:47 pm
Neo-Paladin wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 9:10 am Hometown would have been my suggestion as well :) Not sure how to build up my char, though as I am unsure what powers he should have. I do want to put some points into skills and advantages as he's a socially oriented character. Plus, a healthy dose of mental and physical attributes (devotion to Superman's ideal would mean he'd work out to stay fit and strong)...now, what powers should he have and from where...?
Just for my understanding, you're leaning toward someone who started a cult for those saved by the House of El but actually devoted to his ideals, right? You could go with any of his base powers... a paragon light, powerhouse, speedster...
Exactly...or his devotion could have been strong enough to actually grant him Rao's blessings (one of the kryptonian package at a time (Array)...
Bladewind

Re: The Merge - Gestalt Syndrome (M&M 3rd ED) - Recruiting

Post by Bladewind »

FuzzyBoots wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 12:22 pm So, are you opening this for recruiting, then, or just examining interest? :) That makes a difference to me as to whether I put his on the list of recruiting games.

Did not expect to jump to recruiting so quickly... but... officially recruiting !
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Ah, whoops. I saw the Alice character and thought it was already free-game. Sorry about that!

Ahem; Have you decided on the shared background in the end, or are you still waiting on that?
------------
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

Still waiting on the shared background - I am actually leaving that to you guys. Once you have a consensus, I'll make it official.

Hometown seems to be the frontrunner at the moment...
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

I'm in favor of the hometown origin myself too. It's a pretty versatile one as far as story potential goes.
------------
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

My vote goes for the hometown angle (obviously). In fact, I even proposed a possible option if people want to vote or comment.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Ah- I completely missed the skills house rule. You just say skills in general, does the 3/1 apply combat as well in that instance?
------------
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

Doctor Malsyn wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 11:36 pm Ah- I completely missed the skills house rule. You just say skills in general, does the 3/1 apply combat as well in that instance?
yes. While I also like 2:1 on combat it makes it slightly cheaper for a focused character vs an all around fighter type...
kirinke

Post by kirinke »

For combat, I usually go for the Advantages Close/Ranged Combat. It's a little more versatile than skill-driven combat. Home town is good for me. Also, I'm leaning towards Alice being an orphan, her family killed in the chaos of the merge.
Kirinke's Compendium of Wondrous Creatures
Kirinke's Conversions (D&D Items to M&M3E Rules)

Battle Init
Viv: 24
Ren:22
Peekaboo: 20
Deutschritter: 19
Amy: 15
Angrboda: 15
Adeleth: 14
Thugs: 12
Lilly: 7
Alma: 5
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

Flynnarrel wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 6:33 am Cool. Home town, knowing each other.

John Smith was... exceedingly average growing up. He was around but was so easy to overlook as 'bland' and 'unremarkable'. He wasn't even bland enough to be particularly stealthy. It was easy to notice him, he was nice enough when engaged but easily dismissed as a non-entity. Boring.

Then the Merge happened. And M-day changed the world! And the mild, boring John Smith suddenly... didn't really change at all. It did nothing for him. No green skin, no laser eyes, nothing. He was still the same bland, boring person he'd always been.
Except... well... every world had a John Smith. Every one had that average, in-the-background kind-of guy. Hundreds. Thousands. Millions. And now they were all one boring guy. But sometimes, when he concentrated, he could split up again; flooding the world with John Smiths.

The Post-Merge John Smith is a duplicator but rather than a Summon Horde kind of power it's more going to be a descriptor for Quickness, or Area Move Object as dozens of John Smiths pour into an area to do something, etc. Maybe Jack of All trades as all the John Smiths are subtly different. (An 'average' John Smith from a wuxia martial arts world would still be a decent martial artist in this one). That sort of thing. Any Summon Power would pull minions that were way under-capped PL wise.

What do you think?
The concept fits what I have in mind very well. Since the dupes (if you use Summon) would be under-capped, and still essentially be the same character, I am good with that aspect.
Neo-Paladin wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 12:29 pm Good question....since Fransokyo was someone else's idea, it would be nice if that person could quickly note if it was a superposition (like what happened in New England with Arkham or France with Auvergne/Averoigne) or an additional city with an additional landmass (like Metropolis and Central City)?
jmucchiello wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 1:02 pm The MGS document (linked in the first post) says San Fransokyo is located 40 miles north of San Francisco. Both exist and have oddly similar coastlines.
I believe the question was properly addressed, but yes, both cities exist. San Fransokyo is more technologically advanced in my eyes in keeping with Big Hero Six (Disney Version), but the citizens are for the most part ordinary/ comparable to most. BHS may or may not be around...

Neo-Paladin wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 2:06 pm I like it [Bay Shore] a lot and vote for an inclusion into the setting document....Bladewind? ;)
Agreed - will do so this evening. ;)
kirinke wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 12:12 am For combat, I usually go for the Advantages Close/Ranged Combat. It's a little more versatile than skill-driven combat. Home town is good for me. Also, I'm leaning towards Alice being an orphan, her family killed in the chaos of the merge.
Exactly - but the skill monkey combatant will be slightly cheaper at the expense of versatility...
Last edited by Bladewind on Thu May 16, 2019 1:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

Note, I had forgotten to add this to the intro post/ House Rules:
Freebies: Detect Merger. All characters have Detect Merger as a 1 point power for free and have an additional two points to enhance it as they see fit. Ranged, acute, analytical, etc. Whatever the player feels is appropriate.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

I'm on board the hometown angle. Though I still have to read the bay posted above before commenting on that.