Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Fantomex

Post by Jabroniville »

FANTOMEX (Charlie-Cluster 7, aka Jean-Phillipe)
Created By:
Grant Morrison & Igor Kordey
First Appearance: The New X-Men #128 (2002)
Role: Bizarre Background Character
Group Affiliations: The X-Men, X-Force, The Weapon Plus Program, Super-Sentinels
PL 10 (226)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 6/8 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 12 DEXTERITY 7
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 7 (+12)
Athletics 7 (+13)
Deception 4 (+7)
Expertise (Thief) 8 (+12)
Insight 6 (+10)
Intimidation 2 (+5)
Investigation 4 (+8)
Perception 7 (+11)
Stealth 7 (+12)
Technology 4 (+8)
Treatment 4 (+8)

Advantages:
Defensive Attack, Diehard, Equipment 5 (Guns & Stuff), Evasion, Fast Grab, Fearless, Great Endurance, Improved Aim, Improved Critical, Improved Defense, Last Stand (Spent HP to Ignore Damage for 1 Round), Move-By Action, Precise Attack (Close/Concealment), Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 5, Tracking, Trance

Powers:
"Reality-Skewing" Illusion (Vision, Hearing) 8 [24]

"Separated From His Nervous System"
Immunity 5 (Pain Effects) [5]
Enhanced Stamina 2 [4]
Regeneration 4 [4]

"Three Brains"
Features 1: Allows Head-Shots to be Non-Fatal) [1]
Quickness 6 (Flaws: Limited to Mental Actions) [3]

"Link to E.V.A."
Senses 2 (Ultra-Hearing, Communication Link- E.V.A.) [2]
Remote Sensing 5 (Vision, Hearing) (Flaws: Limited To Through E.V.A.'s Eyes) [10]

"Ceramic Mask" (Flaws: Removable) [12]
Immunity 20 (Mental Effects) (20 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Crossbow +12 (+4 Ranged Combat, DC 19)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +8, Fortitude +10, Will +7

Complications:
Vulnerable (Attacks on E.V.A.)- As his nervous system is external, attacks upon it will cause Fantomex great pain.
Enemy (Weapon Plus)- Fantomex is always having to deal with evil assassins or sentient techno-Gods and crap from the Weaopn Plus Program.
Relationship (Psylocke)

Total: Abilities: 94 / Skills: 60--30 / Advantages: 25 / Powers: 65 / Defenses: 12 (226)

Fantomex- Morrison Being Morrison:
-Fantomex is basically Grant Morrison's version of Italian comic book character Diabolik, who is based off of the pulp French character "Fantomas". He's the creation of the Weapon Plus program ("Weapon X" being the tenth version), a Super-Sentinel meant to be used against mutants. Raised in a France-based experimental hidden world, he teamed up with Morrison's X-Men while being hunted by other members of his program. He ended up teaming with them various times and jumping around on Spy/Thief missions (his inspiration/s are thieves), also having to deal with the repercussions of the Weapon Plus stuff (ie. Killer Assassins always running around). Raised in a virtual reality environment called "The World" that resembles France, he, Jean Grey, and Professor X escape his pursuers, and he decides to become the great thief he imagined himself to be. He later helps Wolverine discover some of his past (such as being the murderer of the Roanoke colony), and aids the X-Men against "Magneto" (Xorn in disguise).

-Despite being a Morrison original, the character kept on being used, as creators apparently loved his devil-may-care attitude, his visual design (which, to be fair, is striking, if not original), and his "Spy Guy/Mysterious Enigma" nature. He appears in some solo stuff, has Norman Osborn try to take over The World, and becomes a sometimes-ally of the X-Teams, finally joining the black ops "X-Force" team. In his first mission with the team, he shocks them by being the only one who can go through with their goal- to kill the child form of Apocalypse. Even Deadpool is disgusted, but Fantomex turns out to have cloned the child, and is attempting to raise him to be a good man, within the confines of The World. However, he is later killed by the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants, who are hunting Psylocke, whom he loves- his sacrifice saves her.

And Then Some STUFF Happens:
-He is resurrected in like two seconds, but improperly, and each of his three brains (he's a Morrison character, don't ask...) gets their own body, and leaves Fantomex, Cluster (a girl) and Weapon XIII (evil) as separate entities. He continues his relationship with Psylocke, but she finally chooses to leave all three of them after a big fight and some manipulation from Weapon XIII. He then joins Nate Grey's X-Force version, constantly bickering with Psylocke while being in a psychic relationship with HOPE SUMMERS (the fuuuu--??), and turns out to be pretty evil, betraying the team a couple of times and nearly being killed. Psylocke & Hope ultimately scramble his brain with the conundrum of being both perfect and imperfect, since all this personalities are required to make him a complete person, even if they're imperfect. Ultimately, he is the vessel by which Charles Xavier returns to the world, as his psychic self inhabits Fantomex's willing body- he sacrifices himself so that Charles might live. He reasons that he may be remembered now for this great act.

-... So yeah- I get the impression than Fantomex was Morrison just being weird and wanting a "Wild Card" ripped off from European comics in his X-Men run, and later writers kind of just added whatever personality traits they wanted onto him. At first, he was a bit of a charmer, and so writers could bang Psylocke through him. But then his minds split and one is evil, but then the MAIN one is evil, and I'm pretty sure this is where the lost the thread of him. And now he's dead. Ish.

Fantomex's Abilities:
-Like most Morrison Originals, Fantomex is F-in' Weird, being a three-brained guy with an external nervous system, a ceramic mask that makes him Immune to Telepathy, Super-Hearing, Illusion Powers, and guns. He can think of multiple things at once (effectively Quickness, since he can think about more in less time) and can use a Hero Point to gain some random weird powers (Morrison did this a lot with Noh-Varr as well), since it seems like every story gives him some other weird thing ("oh, now he has nanites in his bloodstream that makes him unable to believe in anything greater than himself, rendering him immune to this Godlike being empowered by faith!"). His ship, E.V.A., apparently can Shapeshift and fire Energy Blasts, but I have no idea what it's even like.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
drkrash

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Bristol-D! Flag-Smasher! The Fatboys! Fin Fang Foom!)

Post by drkrash »

Fantomex sucks. I wish I could offer more cogent observations, but I just think everything about the character is completely stupid and he drains all the fun out of any comic he appears in.
Shadow Ops - cinematic espionage action RPG - Kickstarter live now!
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

drkrash wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 5:45 pm Fantomex sucks. I wish I could offer more cogent observations, but I just think everything about the character is completely stupid and he drains all the fun out of any comic he appears in.
Oh good, it's not just me. At least he was useful in bringing Charles back.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

While it's nice that Charles is back..apparently he's STILL erasing people's memories.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Ares wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 8:28 pm
drkrash wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 5:45 pm Fantomex sucks. I wish I could offer more cogent observations, but I just think everything about the character is completely stupid and he drains all the fun out of any comic he appears in.
Nope it's not just you.

I'd like to add that I never figured out the connection between Diabolik and Fantomex (I always assumed that Morrison was taking inspiration from Phatomas), but this just adds to my general dislike of the character. Out of all the big name Italian comics Diabolik is one my least favorite (I can provide a bit of a detailed outline of the character if anyone wish).
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Woodclaw wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 9:37 pm
Nope it's not just you.

I'd like to add that I never figured out the connection between Diabolik and Fantomex (I always assumed that Morrison was taking inspiration from Phatomas), but this just adds to my general dislike of the character. Out of all the big name Italian comics Diabolik is one my least favorite (I can provide a bit of a detailed outline of the character if anyone wish).
YESSSSSSSSSSSS DO ITTTTTTTTTTTTT
Jabroniville

Faiza Hussein

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImage

FAIZA HUSSAIN (aka "Excalibur")
Created By:
Paul Cornell & Leonard Kirk
First Appearance: Captain Britain and MI: 13 #1 (May 2008)
Role: Overly-Chatty Doctor
Group Affiliations: MI-13
PL 9 (141)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 3 (+4)
Insight 2 (+4)
Perception 2 (+4)
Treatment 5 (+8)

Advantages:
None

Powers:
"Physiological Control of Others"
"Restitch Anatomy" Healing 10 (Feats: Stabilize) (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Area, Selective, Restorative) (52) -- [58]
  • Dynamic AE: "Body Control" Affliction 8 (Fort; Dazed & Vulnerable/Stunned & Defenseless/Paralyzed & Transformed to Pieces of People) (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Extra Condition, Perception-Ranged +2) (33)
  • Dynamic AE: "Unstitch Anatomy" Weaken Toughness 5 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Shapeable, Selective) Linked to Damage 7 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Shapeable, Selective) (36)
  • Dynamic AE: "Split Bodies" Affliction 9 (Fort; Dazed & Vulnerable/Stunned & Defenseless/Transformed to Split-Apart "Body Works" Things) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst, Selective, Extra Condition) (36)
"Excalibur" (Feats: Indestructible 2) (Flaws: Easily Removable) [14]
Strength-Damage +7 (Feats: Improved Critical 3) (Extras: Penetrating 10) (20 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Excalibur +6 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Body Control -- (+8 Perception-Ranged Affliction, DC 18)
Split Bodies +9 Area (+9 Affliction, DC 19)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3, Fortitude +4, Will +6

Complications:
Responsibility (Doctor)- Faiza does not wish others to come to physical harm, and her powers are used defensively.
Responsibility (Muslim)- Faiza wears a headscarf, and believes in the peaceful aspects of the Qu'ran.
Relationship (The Black Knight)- She is the squire to Dane Whitman, and the two like each other, but don't talk about it that much.
Relationship (Parents)- Her father's kidnapping by vampires was a major source of angst for her.
Power Loss (Body Control)- Faiza's powers will not work as well on Magical creatures- in many cases, they will not work at all.
Obsession (Super-Heroes)- Faiza is a fangirl, and is oh, so very excited to be working with the likes of Captain Britain and The Black Knight.

Total: Abilities: 52 / Skills: 12--6 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 72 / Defenses: 11 (141)

-What th--?? Why do I have no stats for this character anywhere?!? She was a MAJOR CHARACTER in Captain Britain & MI-13, which I both READ and almost entirely STATTED OUT. I even have CAPTAIN MIDLANDS built! How did I forget Faiza?!?

-A medical doctor, Faiza first shows up basically as "British Muslim Cyclone", chatterboxing away at a million miles an hour and being super-nervous during the Skrull Invasion of Britain, effectively being the audience's "eyes and ears" amidst all the craziness. Paul Cornell, in writing her, had a "panel of Muslim women" giving him advice, but he deliberately attempted to avoid the comic book thing "I think superheroes are too prone to being standard bearers for whole communities", and steered away from the usual cliches. Like the later-introduced Pakistani-descended Muslim Kamala Khan, she is more "character who is Muslim" rather than "Muslim Character".

-During the invasion, she is struck by a Skrullian laser, which ends up giving her super-powers for some reason (a SKRULL LASER bestows powers upon her? WHY WOULD THEY HAVE THAT LYING AROUND DURING THE INVASION?)- the M.D. gains the ability to literally CONTROL BODIES, which she first does by accident, painlessly vivisecting the Black Knight, before putting him back together. In a cute bit near the end of the first story arc, Captain Britain uses the literal sword Excalibur to decapitate a "Super-Skrull" made up of powerful magic-users, and places the sword back into stone, so that the next rightful wielder can take it. And then a smirking specter of Merlyn himself whispers to Faiza "you should take him the sword", she goes "I should take him the sword", and immediately takes it out and tries to hand it to Capt. B... at which point everyone realizes what's just happened.

-Now the wielder of Excalibur, Faiza starts a relationship with the Black Knight, but moves into the background somewhat until the fight against Dracula. Dracula, being Vlad Tepes, personally despises Muslims (as the real man engaged in some SERIOUS atrocities while fighting the invading armies of Islam in his own time- they didn't call him "The Impaler" because he had a big schlong, you know), so it was seen as a kind of fitting thing that he had it out for a Muslim using one of the few weapons that could kill him. And after abducting her father personally and injuring her mother, it was only fitting that Faiza was the last member of MI-13 to stand against him- unlikely as it may seem, the nervous, unproven fighter managed to score a lucky shot that decapitated the Lord of Vampires.

-With Capt. Britain & MI-13 cancelled, Faiza faded away into the background, especially since Kamala took up the "Normal Muslim Girl" role in a more obvious way (being an American teenager with our pop culture influences). She last showed up in the background of a Secret Empire issue, being on the Champions of Europe.

-Faiza's powers are a bit tricky to figure out- I ended up going with an Transformative, Paralyzing Affliction, as... well, that's basically what it is. People are frozen in place, and she can take them apart... while leaving them alive. This happens when she takes out Dane Whitman's heart and observes that it's been turned black by the Ebony Blade's proximity, and at other times. Turning people into "piles of organs" is technically an Affliction in this case, as the transformation is painless and non-fatal- they're just Transformed. This is Dynamic, because she can also use her powers to Heal while doing this. Also, she wields the powerful death weapon Excalibur.

-Faiza has some powerful abilities, but doesn't use them on living beings that much- her Unstitch Anatomy & Split Bodies powers are used pretty much ONCE, on a pair of Skulls. Her main one is her Healing ability, which can be Stunted into an Insta-Res when her & Black Knight fell a thousand feet out of a blowed-up airplane. She also wields EXCALIBUR, which is a remarkably-powerful weapon that does a TON of damage to things like Vampires (which is why they try to wipe out the object). Using it, Captain Britain sliced an uber-powerful Super-Skrull's head off with ease (the thing was empowered by all the Magic of Britain and looked like a Doctor Strange/Grim Reaper combo).

-She's also a curious example of how fighting skills come into play in comics. See, as a doctor with zero combat experience, Faiza should be no better than a bystander in hand-to-hand. Yet, at the end of the series, she fights DRACULA HIMSELF, after he just finished off The Black Knight, and pretty much one-offs the bastard. Dracula is an INCREDIBLE fighter, and should be like 12 ranks higher at LEAST. This is nearly impossible to corroborate with M&M stats, and so one is forced to assume that superheroes & villains are just authentically better fighters than normal people, even without any experience or training.

-In reality, it's likely most comic book characters have terrible Fighting stats (barely better than a Bystander or a Thug, probably +2-5) unless they specialize in melee combat, but to meet the standards of M&M, most characters should be at LEAST pretty good at unarmed fighting- better than normal people by a ways, lest it seem weird that a rank amateur can take out a superior warrior. I mean, in real life, even an amateur has a PRETTY good shot at tagging a martial artist (won't help them from the resulting ass-kicking, of course), but in the comics, that's much less likely because it's more unrealistic and focused on super-feats. Ergo, Faiza has Fighting 6, which is higher than it theoretically SHOULD be, but in a world where someone with a Master's Degree in Science can get some chemicals spilled on him an suddenly beat the hell out of five guys at once, it's implied people learn FAST.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
KorokoMystia

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Flag-Smasher! Fin Fang Foom! Fantomex! Faiza Hussein!)

Post by KorokoMystia »

Huh, apparently you had statted her at at one point: http://atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.ph ... 5#p1147855
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

KorokoMystia wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 1:49 am Huh, apparently you had statted her at at one point: http://atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.ph ... 5#p1147855
Oh geez- that's annoying. She never ended up on my Build List- that version's only seen in my "Build Graveyard"! I should have tried to search my main page (that's what I USUALLY do, in fact)!
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

OMG, I found a YouTube clip of my Elsa by pure luck!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vp5f4JcuYio

This is the first one that I met (around the 5:00 mark), and was astounded by! So I guess she's been working there for at least a year :). That dude noticed her impossibly-blue eyes, too. And when he commented on it, she did the "Why THANK YOU- heheh!" nervous laugh thing! So cute!
Woodclaw

Re: Faiza Hussein

Post by Woodclaw »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 1:43 am ImageImage

FAIZA HUSSAIN (aka "Excalibur")
I was completely oblivious about this character, but I like her a lot.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Spectrum

Re: Forbush Man

Post by Spectrum »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 6:37 am -I feel a short explanation is needed: the name "Irving Forbush" had been used by Stan Lee for years as an example of a fictional Marvel Comics employee that Stan constantly belittled- it was part of the goofy "wouldn't you want to work here" attitude that Stan gave the Marvel Comics of the Silver Age (which was a big part of their popularity that eventually helped them takeover of the marketplace from DC). Forbush became the mascot of satire comic Snafu (basically like MAD), but it only lasted three issues. Later, when Marvel published a parody comic that poked fun at itself, Not Brand Echh Forbush became the dreaded FORBUSH-MAN, causing the Fantastic Four, The Silver Surfer and Doctor Doom to cower in his presence. Five issues later gave him his first major appearance- the ficitious Office Gofer at "Marble Comics" had a cooking pot slammed down on his head by his Auntie Mayhem, and thus discovered the perfect secret identity. Generally, he defeats enemies like "The Juggernut" by accident and dumb luck, lacking all super-powers.
So, was Forbush Man reincarnated decades later as a busty furry girl with a squirrel motiff?

And, a little confused here. I thought that the Not Brand Ecchs name referred to DC. Ecchs referring to Marvels over reliance upon the various X titles.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Woodclaw wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 9:37 pm
Nope it's not just you.

I would love to hear more of the history.

And sadly, my bad taste in characters rears its ugly head again. Fantomex was 'kewl' in an action hero kind of way. Then again, never read anything in the comics since that first paragraph.

And then reading the rest of the history, just... whhhhhhy?
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
FuzzyBoots

Re: Forbush Man

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Spectrum wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 4:04 pmAnd, a little confused here. I thought that the Not Brand Ecchs name referred to DC. Ecchs referring to Marvels over reliance upon the various X titles.
Nope. It was basically self-aware humor.

Although this brings back memories of seeing a book on my older brother's bookcase, and asking why he had a book titled Generation Ecchi. :lol:
Jabroniville

Fatale

Post by Jabroniville »

FATALE (Pamela Greenwood)
Created By:
Scott Lobdell, Brandon Peterson, John Francis Moore & Jeff Matsuda
First Appearance: The Uncanny X-Men #299 (April 1993- as Pamela), X-Factor #112 (July 1995- as Fatale)
Role: Bad Girl
Group Affiliations: X-Cell, Dark Decimation, The Brotherhood
PL 9 (175)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 12 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 5 (+10)
Athletics 6 (+8)
Deception 6 (+9)
Expertise (Assassin) 6 (+8)
Insight 2 (+5)
Investigation 3 (+6)
Perception 2 (+5)
Stealth 4 (+9)

Advantages:
Equipment 4 (Guns, Poisoned Blades), Improved Critical (Blades), Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Energy Control"
"Bend Light" Concealment 4 (All Visuals) [8]
Teleport 15 (Extras: Extended, Accurate) [60]

Equipment:
"Poisoned Blade" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Improved Critical) Linked to Weaken Stamina 5 (Extras: Progressive +2) (19)
"Guns" Blast 6 (Extras: Multiattack) (18)

Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Poisoned Blade +12 (+4 Damage & +5 Weaken, DC 19 & 15)
Guns +9 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +5

Complications:
Responsibility (Owes Sledge)- Risque owes Sledge for a favor done in her past. She introduces Warpath to him as her end of the deal.
Relationship (Warpath)- The two are together for a brief time, but split when it turns out she started the relationship under false pretenses (see above).

Total: Abilities: 70 / Skills: 34--17 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 68 / Defenses: 11 (175)

-Fatale is a character that always intrigued me- not for any aspect of her CHARACTER, but for the fact that just as I was slowly leaving comics, she had a one-off panel in an Uncanny X-Men issue I had, where her appearance stunned Bishop. It was clear that this pretty, ultra-slender, curly-haired black woman was supposed to be someone important. But I never kept reading long enough to find out who she was.

-It turns out that Fatale is an elite assassin and the agent of Dark Beast, who wants her to keep an eye on the X-Men. Oddly enough, she was given a brief appearance YEARS before she became important in a Lobdell-written issue (the same one where the Beast moons Graydon Creed off-panel), but only after Age of Apocalypse (way after I stopped reading regularly) she becomes important. She's pretty much just a Henchwoman for the most part, really not even dealing with Bishop, despite seemingly being important to him early on (she disguised herself as his ideal woman, hoping to gain his trust). Hell, she actually spends most of her time fighting X-FACTOR after a point.

-Basically, Fatale appears in Bishop's dreams, he confronts her, she reveals herself as Fatale, they fight, and then Dark Beast calls her off when The Beast shows up. DB replaces his good version and infiltrates the X-Men THAT way. So instead she just avoids Bishop entirely after that, showing up later as one of DB's goons. Then she pops up with his team when he offers his services to Onslaught, brainwashing Havok into joining them. Fatale is sent to prison, but Havok, wanting to investigate Dark Beast, recruits both of them to join his new Brotherhood. However, this only lasts a short time (WTF? Did the writers switch or something?) when he finds DB's evil lab and turns on them both. This was her last appearance in the '90s.

-She would reappear years later, having been de-powered on M-Day (and re-powered by Quicksilver and the Terrigen Mists, only to be tossed into another dimension), and then showed up seven years LATER to be a part of Peter David's (who ELSE would use characters this obscure? Mark Gruenwald's dead!) latest X-Factor book. She gets de-powered by some evil guy who's draining the Mist properties out of re-powered mutants, and publicly points out the evil acts Quicksilver has done. She is taken out by Polaris, who tries to hide Quicksilver's culpability.

-She's not altogether that POWERFUL (comics is LITTERED with supposedly-amazing would-be assassins that have never beaten anybody good), but combining a Poisoned Blade with the ability to be completely invisible is a pretty dangerous thing.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.