Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Re: Eightyfive

Post by Jabroniville »

Goldar wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:57 pm
I remember at the time there was something in a letters page about how we would be surprised to learn who Eight-five was related to in the MU. But I never heard any follow-up on that. Do you know anything about this?
I don't believe so, but his Marvunapp bio is pretty large and I kind of skimmed parts of it: http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix7/forc ... eightyfive
Jabroniville

Yankee Clipper

Post by Jabroniville »

YANKEE CLIPPER (Patrick Carney)
Created By:
Roger Stern & John Byrne
First Appearance: Marvel: The Lost Generation #4 (Nov. 2001)
Role: Retcon Hero
Group Affiliations: The First Line
PL 8 (95)
STRENGTH
3/7 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+8)
Expertise (Baseball Player) 6 (+10) -- Uses Dex
Expertise (Science) 3 (+6)
Persuasion 2 (+5)
Technology 3 (+6)

Advantages:
Ranged Attack 2

Powers:
"High-Tech Belt" (Flaws: Removable) [16]
Enhanced Strength 4 (8)
Force Field 4 (Extras: Impervious) (8)
Movement 2 (Time Travel 2) (4)
-- (20 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Initiative +8

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +4 (+8 Force Field, +2 Impervious), Fortitude +5, Will +5

Complications:
None

Total: Abilities: 60 / Skills: 16--8 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 16 / Defenses: 9 (95)

-Yankee Clipper (a play on Joe DiMaggio's nickname) was introduced as part of the curious Marvel: The Lost Generation book, which sought to explain what happened in the huge gap between the Golden Age and "modern" comics (which was only 15-ish years in Marvel's Silver Age, but had shifted to more than FIFTY by the year 2000). He's a baseball player who retired, then earned an Engineering degree- he started work at the laboratory where the crazy Captain America & Bucky (the future Grand Director and Nomad) were kept. He was later given a special Belt by a dying girl who wanted him to fight The Skrulls, and thus became a superhero.

-He was unexpectedly sent forward in time by 20 years, meeting the future members of the First Line- he was sent forward to the time the Fantastic Four debuted, having lost many of his friends due to the First Line's sacrifice to stop a Skrull invasion. He decided to hang up his costume, as one of the only survivors of the "Lost Generation" years.

-Yankee Clipper's an athletic guy with a pretty simple Fancy Belt that enhances his capabilities.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Faiza Hussein! Forge! Marvel- The Lost Generation!)

Post by Jabroniville »

And after about a week, that does it for the Letter "F" at Marvel! All that's left now is about a week for one last letter, and then what became a 4-5 year project is DONE! At least... until I finally translate ALL the Ronin Army builds over to here. Should only take a few more years :).

But now... a project that did VERY well in the last bunch of polls I did. Something I haven't touched for literally 6-7 years- The DC Animated Universe!
squirrelly-sama

Post by squirrelly-sama »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:34 pm And after about a week, that does it for the Letter "F" at Marvel! All that's left now is about a week for one last letter, and then what became a 4-5 year project is DONE! At least... until I finally translate ALL the Ronin Army builds over to here. Should only take a few more years :).

But now... a project that did VERY well in the last bunch of polls I did. Something I haven't touched for literally 6-7 years- The DC Animated Universe!
Aw hell yeah. I hope this is the JLU version instead of the more modern post-new52 take. I liked Young Justice but it didn't really capture me like Justice League did and the image change always looked... off to me.
Spam

Re: Effigy

Post by Spam »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:54 pm Image

I can look however I want. I choose... this.
Jabroniville

Batman: The Animated Series

Post by Jabroniville »

Batman: The Animated Series/The Adventures of Batman & Robin-

-There's been a lot of kick-ass superhero TV shows over the years, but I still think that Batman: The Animated Series (nearly always called "Batman: TAS") is the closest thing we ever got to "True Art" in a regularly-airing TV cartoon. This thing was AMAZING- the perfect blend of action, insight, visual storytelling, a great art style, PHENOMENAL voice acting (never again matched in any cartoon series), and more. Other shows might have more awesome action or epic storylines, but this shit was ART.

The show was the brainchild of writer Paul Dini and artist Bruce Timm- Co-Producers, they combined some of the feel of Frank Miller's Batman with the Neal Adams interpretation of the character, ultimately creating the ultimate version of Batman. This one captured not just the darkness behind the cowl, but the HUMANITY of him as well. Too many shows & comics went with the full "Batjerk" personality, forgetting the compassion at his heart. Batman was ALWAYS about vengeance (putting on a cowl to harrass and terrify criminals), but he was ALSO about helping people and protecting others. And then they sort of distilled every Bat-villain into a microcosm of their best stuff, making great acts out of some pretty forgettable guys. As a kid, I'd never heard of Poison Ivy or Clayface until this show made them stars. Never mind what they did for Mister Freeze.

The show had a brilliant visual motif- printed on BLACK backing instead of white, it was instantly the moodiest, darkest thing on the air. Gotham City was shrouded in night at all times, with eery red lighting behind many of the outdoor shots. Batman himself was this squarish giant of a man, with blocky muscles and an angular, lantern jaw. And everything had this strange, timeless "Art Deco" style, with police blimps, gigantic police vans shaped more like moving deco buildings, and more. TVs were in black & white, but computer technology was modern-ish (albeit with old-timey "Spoken Word" responses). It felt very "1940s" in concept, but kept relevant in the modern day.

Most of the people involved in the shows knew that the true Secret Weapon of what became the DC Animated Universe (with multiple shows spinning off of this one) being Andrea Romano, the Voice Director. It was ANDREA that got the best performances out of some phenomenal finds- Luke Skywalker of all people as The Joker sounds idiotic, yet he became the gold standard for the character. Kevin Conroy as Batman is so irreplaceable he even shames the LIVE ACTION performers, including the Oscar winners! Even SIDE villains managed to have this incredible, memorable performances.

Seriously, I could list like 20 all-time classic cartoon episodes with this show along, off the top of my head. Ready?:
1) The whole initial Ra's Al-Ghul saga, with his introduction, Talia's revelation as his daughter, the Shirtless Swordfight (tm), 'he's not dead' payoff, etc.
2) Robin's Revenge- the big look into the origin of Robin, where we get more info on Dick Grayson, and the full emotional gambit of his losses and his eventual revenge, which of course, he doesn't capitalize on, because Bruce raised him better than that.
3) HARDAC saga- full of brutal death scenes (since they were robots, after all, so you could show someone getting their head ripped sideways by a giant elevator, and Sgt. Bullock getting fried alive in the Bat Signal) and great computer-voiced 'we will rule all' moments.
4) Batman's HARDAC clone taking his own life after believing too strongly that he is Bruce Wayne, fooled into thinking he murdered Batman and unable to come to grips with breaking his most sacred vow
5) "Almost Got 'Im"- Do I even need to freaking describe this one? CLASSIC villain lines (Croc: "I threw a rock at him!"; Penguin: "Welcome to my aviary of DOOM..." Joker:"...Your what?"; Two-Face: "Part of me wants to strangle you!" Ivy: "And what does the other half want?" Two-Face: "To hit you with a TRUCK!" Ivy [to others]: "We used to date." Joker & Penguin: "Aahhhhhh..."), Poison Ivy in a legless black number (um, fap), all culminating in not only a classic "Batman is too smart for you dipsticks" reveal, but a great payoff with Catwoman in the "Almost Got 'Im" league as well.
6) Harley & Ivy's Big Lesbian Adventure- Nuff said.
7) The initial Clayface arc- the whole movie-star storyline, and his brutal payback for turning to crime, and the horror of it all- great stuff.
8) Mr. Freeze's origin story- the whole scene with his wife was one of the most intense things ever seen on TELEVISION, much less a cartoon. The classic lines of Freeze in that haunting voice are brilliant as well.
9) "Joker's Favor"- Joker terrorizing a common man for a traffic altercation, paying off with the guy going almost insane, but eventually getting his sweet revenge.
10) Two-Face's origin- Full of horror, romance, tragedy, and terrific lines (Big Bad Harv coming out and kicking the crap out of Thorne's men was awesome).

11) "I Am the Night"- Commissioner Gordon gets shot, forcing Batman to adjust his viewpoint on his own life and the good he's doing. His classic revelation about his eventual death (It WILL happen, he knows, could be Joker, or Two-Face, or 'Just some punk who gets lucky') and his lack of regrets was terrific, as was his realization that he is doing some real good in Gotham.
12) "Paging the Crime Doctor"- A very unusual and original idea (a mob doctor forced to do an operation while Batman tries to save them both), ending in one of the saddest moments of the show, as Bruce asks the MD one big favor, to tell him about his father (who the guy knew as a young man).
13) Scarecrow's first appearance- Batman telling off his greatest fear- the spectre of his father telling him he's a disgrace- by shouting "No! You are NOT my father! I am NOT a disgrace! I am VENGEANCE! I am the NIGHT! I... AM... BATMAN!!!"
14) Zatanna- pure, 1930s-style fishnets-and-fisticuffs adventure, with some great character moments, and a look into Batman's past.
15) Night of the Samurai- Batman & his rival from the old karate school square off once again, ending in Kyodai Ken's seeming death. Bruce's mentor (who shows he knows Bruce & Bats are one and the same in subtle looks and words) lets him know that Batman is "The essence of a samurai" despite Ken's disparaging words about the Dark Knight being more dishonorable ninja than proud noble samurai.
17) Batgirl falls into a fear-induced coma, and creates a vicious possible future, where her death in battle leads to Gordon going over the edge and hunting down the Bat-family one-by-one, ending with he & Batman going over the rooftop after Bane is killed to certain death... one of the few times I've ever been HAPPY to get the "And then I woke up and it was all a dream" ending.
18) Baby Doll- a great, understated episode about a failed sitcom star going crazy, complete with a darkly sad finale that features her finally dropping the "Bebe Dall" act and starts talking in her real adult voice, weeping into Batman's arms about how lost and alone she is.
19) "The Mechanic"- Showing one of the things the comics always ignores (where Batman gets those wheels from-- including a great shot of an old, rickety Batmobile he had to drive around before meeting the builder), with a pretty good Penguin plot thrown in.
20) Batgirl's origin- Just because Batgirl's adorable.

This right here is an unstoppable list- a full season's worth of some of the best shows I've ever seen, and could ever hope to see. Without the flash of JLU, it's closest competitor, it's forced to use the biggest gun in it's arsenal: Characterization. From Batman's cynicism and lack of emotions, to his occasional bouts of humor (he laughs, like when the civilian pranked the Joker in Joker's Favor, and he smirks at Dick occasionally.. and there's the classic moment where he bursts into the woman's apartment, calmly walks to the door and leaves, but not before giving her a big smile to break the tention), to showing emotional range on previously meaningless side-characters like Bullock and Montoya (Bullock merely acts the bad cop, he's really a headstrong, excessively moral sourpuss), all the way to making the biggest jobber comic villains into some of the best villains in all of pop culture (COUGHFreezeCOUGH), this show lets everyone know how it's SUPPOSED to be done. The simple animation style makes everything even better, using black backdrops instead of white (like every other show EVER), a dark gothic atmosphere, and initially making everything look like the 1930s, from the style of dress to the black & white TVs and tommy guns. Probably the most atmospheric cartoon work ever done, with some of the greatest villains and voice-acting ever as well (seriously, Mark Hammil's Joker competes and even surpasses Nicholson's on any level, and Kevin Conroy IS Batman, moreso than any other actor). :P
Shock

Post by Shock »

The amazing thing about your list is I agree with all of it and it still doesn't have some of my favorite episodes:

Christmas with the Joker: The Joker escapes from prison and wreaks havoc through the city all with the goal of hitting Batman with a pie in the face.
The Forgotten: Bruce Wayne gets abducted to be slave labor at a mine and gets amnesia. Once he escapes and Alfred hooks him up with his Bat-gear, the anticipation of "oh shit Batman's about to wreck this guy" is palpable. And the music for this one is just awesome
Never Fear: Batman gets exposed to a gas that eliminates fear, making him reckless and Robin has to intervene when Batman reveals he's no longer afraid to kill.
Growing Pains: Robin comes across a vagrant named Annie who eventually ends up being a piece of Clayface that the villain intends to reabsorb.
squirrelly-sama

Post by squirrelly-sama »

Shock wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:35 am The amazing thing about your list is I agree with all of it and it still doesn't have some of my favorite episodes:

Christmas with the Joker: The Joker escapes from prison and wreaks havoc through the city all with the goal of hitting Batman with a pie in the face.
The Forgotten: Bruce Wayne gets abducted to be slave labor at a mine and gets amnesia. Once he escapes and Alfred hooks him up with his Bat-gear, the anticipation of "oh shit Batman's about to wreck this guy" is palpable. And the music for this one is just awesome
Never Fear: Batman gets exposed to a gas that eliminates fear, making him reckless and Robin has to intervene when Batman reveals he's no longer afraid to kill.
Growing Pains: Robin comes across a vagrant named Annie who eventually ends up being a piece of Clayface that the villain intends to reabsorb.
That last one really screwed me up as a kid. It was like a nut punch right to my heart.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Some other great mentions were

Heart of Ice: Mr Freeze and great acting by Micheal Ansara one of the episode to win day time emmy award

The cape and cowl conspiracy: where we see Batman outsmart not one but two villains in one go that final line is still a goose bump induacer. What do you intend to do with the cape and cowl? I Intend *voice changes* to wear them.

The man who killed batman: where an average schnuck of a criminal seems to kill the batman then has to survive everyone including the joker ending with him in jail but getting loads of respect he never got before because he ""took down the bat""

Trial where a new prosector doesn't like Batman but is kidnapped and forced to defend him against a court of his greatest foes with joker as the judge the ending is a surprise

POV and Ive got batman in my basement: both episodes share similar this is the story from my POV styles

so many great episodes to choose from and all of them leading to Superman TAS and eventually JL and JLU
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

To-Build List:
Batman Family:

Batman
Robin/Nightwing
Robin II
Batgirl
Alfred Pennyworth
Commissioner Gordon
Harvey Bullock
Renee Montoya
Summer Gleeson
Simon Trent
The Creeper
Batman (Terry McGinnis)
---
Batman Rogues:
The Joker
Harley Quinn (w/ Hyenas)
Two-Face
The Ventriloquist/Scarface (w/ Rhino)
Mister Freeze
Poison Ivy
The Penguin
Catwoman
The Scarecrow
The Mad Hatter
Clayface
The Clock King
Calendar Girl
Killer Croc
Man-Bat
The Phantasm
Rupert Thorne
The Riddler
Romulus
The Red Claw
Bane
Ra's al-Ghul (w/ Ubu)
Talia al-Ghul
H.A.R.D.A.C. Batman
Kyodai-Ken
Baby Doll
Jabroniville

Batman

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImage

"NO! I am NOT a disgrace!... I am VENGEANCE!... I am the NIGHT!... I... AM... BATMAN!"

BATMAN (Bruce Wayne)
Created By:
Bob Kane & Bill Finger
First Appearance: Detective Comics #27 (May 1939)
Role: The Star, The Cynical Grouch, The Detective, Supreme Skillmonkey
Mental Problems: Obsession, Anger Issues, Split Personality, Anti-Social Disorder
Voice Actor: Kevin Conroy
First Episode: "On Leather Wings"
Group Affiliations: The Bat-Family
Finest Moment: Fighting off the fear-induced image of his ashamed father, declaring his identity.
PL 8 (235), PL 9 (235) Saves
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 12 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 6 AWARENESS 6 PRESENCE 5

Skills:
Acrobatics 8 (+13)
Athletics 8 (+11)
Deception 11 (+16)
Expertise (Streetwise) 9 (+15)
Expertise (History) 1 (+7)
Expertise (Science) 6 (+12)
Expertise (Business) 5 (+11)
Insight 9 (+15)
Intimidation 10 (+15)
Investigation 12 (+18)
Perception 9 (+15)
Persuasion 5 (+10)
Ranged Combat (Batarangs) 4 (+14)
Stealth 10 (+15)
Technology 6 (+12)
Treatment 1 (+7)
Vehicles 10 (+14)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Agile Feint, Assessment, Beginner's Luck, Benefit 5 (Billionaire), Daze (Intimidation), Diehard, Equipment 19 (Batmobile, Batplane, Utility Belt), Evasion, Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab, Grappling Finesse, Great Endurance, Hide in Plain Sight, Improved Aim, Improved Critical (Unarmed) 2, Improved Critical (Batarangs), Improved Defense, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative, Improved Trip, Jack-of-All-Trades, Languages 2 (Almost Any Needed), Last Stand (Ignores All Damage for 1 Round w/ HP Spent), Luck, Power Attack, Precise Attack (Close/Concealment), Prone Fighting, Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 6, Skill Mastery (Investigation), Startle, Takedown 2, Tracking 2, Ultimate Investigation Skill, Ultimate Intimidation, Ultimate Deception, Well-Informed

Equipment:
"Batplane" (Gargantuan, ST 11, Flight 7- 240 mph, Defense -2, Toughness 11, Features- Navigation, Remote Control) (29) -- (30)
AE: "Batmobile" (Huge, ST 8, Speed 6- 120 mph, Defense -2, Toughness 10, Features- Alarm, Caltrops, Oil Slick, Remote Control, Computer) (16)

"Utility Belt"
Camera, CommLink, Audio Recorder, Handcuffs, Binoculars, Mini-Tracer, Night Vision Goggles, Flashlight, Gas Mask, Multi-Tool, Rebreather, Cutting Torch (12)
"Grapple Gun" Movement 1 (Swinging) (2)

"Choking Gas" Affliction 6 (Fort; Dazed & Vulnerable/Defenseless & Stunned/Incapacitated) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Cloud +2, Ranged, Extra Condition) (Diminished Range -1) (29) -- (32)
  • AE: "Batarangs" Blast 3 (Feats: Homing, Ricochet) (Extras: Multiattack) (Diminished Range -1) (10)
  • AE: "Explosives" Damage 8 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Feats: Triggered- Time) (17)
  • AE: "Smoke Pellets" Concealment (Visuals) 2 (Extras: Attack, Area- 30ft. Cloud +2) (10)
"The Batcave"
(Large, Toughness 10, Communications, Computer, Concealed, Dock, Garage, Gym, Hangar, Library, Living Space, Workshop) (16)
-- (92 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +15 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Batarangs +14 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Explosives +8 Area (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Choking Gas +6 Area (+6 Affliction, DC 16)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +4, Fortitude +6, Will +12

Complications:
Motivation (Justice, Revenge)- Bruce Wayne's parents were murdered before his eyes as a young child. He has never stopped trying to rid Gotham City of the evil that took their lives. He is devoted to bringing justice back to Gotham, but vengeance still defines much of his life.
Responsibility (Gotham City)- Batman considers himself Gotham's protectors.
Responsibility (Compassion)- Though often quiet and vengeful, Batman is a creature of compassion. He feels pity for some of his enemies (Man-Bat, Mr. Freeze, Baby Doll), and feels sympathy for the victims of crime.
Responsibility (The Memory of Thomas & Martha Wayne, Parents)- Bruce occasionally seems himself in the shadow of his wealthy, honourable parents.
Responsibility (Jim Gordon, Dick Grayson, Tim Drake, Friends)- Despite being a loner much of the time, Bruce is highly-protective of those close to him. Attacks on their life will be taken very seriously, and if harm came to one of them, Bruce would be beside himself with grief.
Enemy (The Joker, The Pengiun, etc.)- Batman has amassed numerous enemies, including the entire population of Arkham Asylum, and a few notable public figures (such as Rupert Thorne & Roland Daggett).
Guilt (Two-Face's Origin)- Harvey Dent, one of Bruce's closest friends, was horribly disfigured and driven mad on a case in which Batman himself was involved.
Reputation (Lawless Vigilante)- What Batman does is essentially an illegal act, with Commissioner Gordon "looking the other way". Other public figures are less forgiving, and he may find himself hunted. Police detective Harvey Bullock specifically wants him brought down.

Total: Abilities: 88 / Skills: 124--62 / Advantages: 69 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 16 (235)

-Batman near the start of his series is more like this- a phenomenal specimen in every way, but ultimately very "human". 235 points is INSANE to spend on a PL 8, but he often struggled with mere Mooks in the early days, yet he still had basically every skill and social ability ever, in addition to 20 points' worth of "Wonderful Toys".

BATMAN (Bruce Wayne)
Created By:
Bob Kane & Bill Finger
Mental Problems: Obsession, Anger Issues, Split Personality, Anti-Social Disorder
Finest Moment: Fighting off the fear-induced image of his ashamed father, declaring his identity.
PL 9 (244)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 13 DEXTERITY 4

Skills:
Acrobatics 8 (+13)
Athletics 8 (+11)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+15)
Deception 11 (+16)
Insight 9 (+15)
Intimidation 10 (+15)
Investigation 12 (+18)
Perception 9 (+15)
Persuasion 5 (+10)
Stealth 10 (+15)
Technology 6 (+12)
Treatment 1 (+7)
Vehicles 10 (+14)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Agile Feint, Assessment, Beginner's Luck, Benefit 5 (Billionaire), Daze (Intimidation), Defensive Attack, Diehard, Equipment 19 (Batmobile, Batplane, Utility Belt), Evasion, Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab, Grappling Finesse, Great Endurance, Hide in Plain Sight, Improved Aim, Improved Critical (Unarmed) 2, Improved Critical (Batarangs), Improved Defense, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative, Improved Smash, Improved Trip, Inventor, Jack-of-All-Trades, Languages 2 (Almost Any Needed), Last Stand (Ignores All Damage for 1 Round w/ HP Spent), Luck, Power Attack, Precise Attack 2 (Ranged/Cover, Close/Concealment), Prone Fighting, Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 6, Skill Mastery (Investigation), Startle, Takedown 2, Tracking 2, Ultimate Investigation Skill, Ultimate Intimidation, Ultimate Deception, Uncanny Dodge, Well-Informed

Equipment:
"Batplane" (Gargantuan, ST 11, Flight 7- 240 mph, Defense -2, Toughness 11, Features- Navigation, Remote Control) (29) -- (30)
AE: "Batmobile" (Huge, ST 8, Speed 6- 120 mph, Defense -2, Toughness 10, Features- Alarm, Caltrops, Oil Slick, Remote Control, Computer) (16)

"Utility Belt"
Camera, CommLink, Audio Recorder, Handcuffs, Binoculars, Mini-Tracer, Night Vision Goggles, Flashlight, Gas Mask, Multi-Tool, Rebreather, Cutting Torch (12)

"Choking Gas" Affliction 6 (Fort; Dazed & Vulnerable/Defenseless & Stunned/Incapacitated) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Cloud +2, Ranged, Extra Condition) (Diminished Range -1) (29) -- (32)
  • AE: "Batarangs" Blast 3 (Feats: Homing, Ricochet) (Extras: Multiattack) (Diminished Range -1) (10)
  • AE: "Explosives" Damage 8 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Feats: Triggered- Time) (17)
  • AE: "Smoke Pellets" Concealment (Visuals) 2 (Extras: Attack, Area- 30ft. Cloud +2) (10)
"The Batcave"
(Large, Toughness 10, Communications, Computer, Concealed, Dock, Garage, Gym, Hangar, Library, Living Space, Workshop) (16)
-- (92 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +15 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +13 (DC 23), Parry +13 (DC 23), Toughness +4, Fortitude +6, Will +12

Complications:
Motivation (Justice, Revenge)- Bruce Wayne's parents were murdered before his eyes as a young child. He has never stopped trying to rid Gotham City of the evil that took their lives. He is devoted to bringing justice back to Gotham, but vengeance still defines much of his life.
Responsibility (Compassion)- Though often quiet and vengeful, Batman is a creature of compassion. He feels pity for some of his enemies (Man-Bat, Mr. Freeze, Baby Doll), and feels sympathy for the victims of crime.
Responsibility (The Memory of Thomas & Martha Wayne, Parents)- Bruce occasionally seems himself in the shadow of his wealthy, honourable parents.
Responsibility (Jim Gordon, Dick Grayson, Tim Drake, Friends)- Despite being a loner much of the time, Bruce is highly-protective of those close to him. Attacks on their life will be taken very seriously, and if harm came to one of them, Bruce would be beside himself with grief.
Enemy (The Joker, The Pengiun, etc.)- Batman has amassed numerous enemies, including the entire population of Arkham Asylum, and a few notable public figures (such as Rupert Thorne & Roland Daggett).
Guilt (Two-Face's Origin)- Harvey Dent, one of Bruce's closest friends, was horribly disfigured and driven mad on a case in which Batman himself was involved.
Reputation (Lawless Vigilante)- What Batman does is essentially an illegal act, with Commissioner Gordon "looking the other way". Other public figures are less forgiving, and he may find himself hunted. Police detective Harvey Bullock specifically wants him brought down.

Total: Abilities: 90 / Skills: 126--63 / Advantages: 74 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 17 (244)

-C'mon, he's Batman. He's the top selling character at DC (by a WIDE margin), a Franchise-Spawner (because of his supporting cast, he's got as many side-books as the X-Men do, and he's ONE GUY), a Codifier for "Grim Costumed Detectives" (he's not the first, but he's by far the best and most-liked), and he's got the most interesting psychological profile of any character in comic book history. He's got enough awesome feats for the Power-Geeks (on the "human fighter" level, as well as his Prep-Time abilities), enough great lines to match any other character EVER, and along with Superman, he's easily the best character for "Elseworlds" stories, since there's so many ways you can go with him. Does he go too far over to the side of darkness? Can he become a full-on prick who everyone hates? Who are his friends? What becomes of his enemies? There's this innate sadness to everything Batman does (in every era except the "super-happy '50s & '60s" one), and he's so unlike the usual brave, upstanding citizen heroes DC usually produced back in the day that he'd arguably fit better into the Marvel Universe.

-Of course, Batman showcases one of the realities of comics- unsung heroes on the creative side of things, like Bill Finger. It was Finger that turned Batman from a red-clad guy in goofy wings to a grim bad-ass, and he's also pretty much a driving force behind a lot of Bat-related things. Of course, Bob Kane gets all the credit (he combined concepts including Zorro & Leonardi da Vinci drawings to make his character- proof that you can make really inventive things just by ripping off more than ONE source)- this process today is known in comic circles as "Being Fingered". It probably has another meaning now, though.

-The Batman as he appeared in The Animated Series is for my money the greatest version ever seen: Grim, but not hopeless. Determined, but not obsessed to the point of hating everyone. Skilled, but not the uber-God of war that's undefeatable. One of my favourite Batman-defining moments was the time he came CRASHING through some old lady's window, coming to his senses, then turning back to smirk at her before he left- showing you the Bat-humour. Plus, he actually used his DETECTIVE SKILLS. He didn't just punch stuff into a computer and read the results all the time (though there was a bit of that); he searched for clues, he dusted for prints, and he dug up dirt on people like no other hero has ever done.
-AND THE ART STYLE!! How do you top the Bruce Timm goodness? Dark backgrounds (they used black sheets for their backdrops, unlike every other show- which used plain white), iconic representations of EVERY CHARACTER, the massive police vans, the curvaceous good & bad girls, the dirty-looking crooks, etc. Everything was perfect.

-Batman in the Animated Series roughly fits a PL 9 in my mind. He's an extremely good fighter, but not super-human. Five or six mooks in hand-to-hand is actually a CHALLENGE, not a joke, and he can't just whip his entire Rogue's Gallery's ass in five seconds with ancient ninjitsu powers. Heck, even a fairly decent fighter with super-human strength (Man-Bat, Mr. Freeze, Killer Croc) nearly becomes OVERWHELMING in power. Still, +15 Attack is REALLY high, so it's enough for most anyone, especially with Accurate Attack thrown in. I cheaped out on the Equipment a bit by making the Batmobile Alt-Effect off the Plane, but hell, he barely ever used the damn plane, and he couldn't use both at once, so it counts (and actually, DC Adventures' official Bat-build did the exact same thing). Benefit 5 (Wealth) takes care of the rest.

-This Batman is still the Stealth King (all the Skills needed for it, plus various Advantages like Hide in Plain Sight), as well as using more Skill Points than any other character I've ever built. But really, IT'S BATMAN, there's no arguing he hasn't shown each and every one of them. This makes him probably more competent than his entire Rogue's Gallery, as well as better at fighting when combined with his other stats, but hell, he beat them every single time, so it makes perfect sense.

-Aaaaaand of course his final points cost is CRAZY, as it's really always going to be when you build BATMAN, God of Skills & Advantages. All the Equipment, skill and accuracy, he's gonna be a pricey bastard no matter what. He's 40 points cheaper than the "official" Batman build, for good reason- the cartoon's Batman was still human underneath it all. And at PL 9, he's actually beatable to many, and you don't have to artificially inflate his entire Rogues Gallery to match him in a fight.

BATMAN (Bruce Wayne)- Later Version
Created By:
Bob Kane & Bill Finger
PL 10 (252)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 13 DEXTERITY 4

Skills:
Acrobatics 8 (+13)
Athletics 8 (+11)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 4 (+17)
Deception 11 (+16)
Insight 9 (+15)
Intimidation 10 (+15)
Investigation 12 (+18)
Perception 9 (+15)
Persuasion 5 (+10)
Stealth 10 (+15)
Technology 6 (+12)
Treatment 1 (+7)
Vehicles 10 (+14)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Agile Feint, Assessment, Beginner's Luck, Benefit 5 (Billionaire), Daze (Intimidation), Defensive Attack, Defensive Throw, Diehard, Equipment 19 (Batmobile, Batplane, Utility Belt), Evasion, Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab, Grappling Finesse, Great Endurance, Hide in Plain Sight, Improved Aim, Improved Critical (Unarmed) 3, Improved Critical (Batarangs), Improved Defense, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative, Improved Smash, Improved Trip, Inventor, Jack-of-All-Trades, Languages 2 (Almost Any Needed), Last Stand, Luck, Power Attack, Precise Attack 2 (Ranged/Cover, Close/Concealment), Prone Fighting, Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 6, Skill Mastery (Investigation), Startle, Takedown 2, Tracking 2, Ultimate Investigation Skill, Ultimate Intimidation, Ultimate Deception, Uncanny Dodge, Well-Informed

Equipment:

"Utility Belt"

"The Batcave"
-- (92 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +17 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +15 (DC 25), Parry +15 (DC 25), Toughness +4, Fortitude +7, Will +12

Complications:

Total: Abilities: 90 / Skills: 128--64 / Advantages: 76 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 22 (252)

-Later on, I think Batman earns PL 10 status- it also allows Robin an upgrade in his "Nightwing" persona. Once the show gets a bit more streamlined, colourful and futuristic, Bruce hits the equivalent of Marvel's Daredevil or Shang-Chi, but is WAY more skilled than either. Note that most of his abilities are exactly the same- he just goes up in Accuracy & Defense.

About the Performer: Kevin Conroy is one of the only Voice Actors on the show who is VASTLY more well-known for his animated character than anything else, having been the iconic voice of Batman since the early 1990s. Though he's nowhere near a household name, many, MANY people would recognize him as the voice of "Batman". Conroy graduated from the highly-respected Juilliard school of acting (where his roommate was Robin Williams, and another classmate was Kelsey Grammar), and largely did stage acting during his career. His only TV work had been guest-stuff until he randomly did an audition for the role of Batman in some newfangled show. Conroy told the story at a Con I attended that he sat down with Paul Dini & Bruce Timm, who asked him about his familiarity with the character. He said he'd seen nothing but "The Adam West series in the 196--" and they shouted out "NOOOOOOO!!!!" They explained to him that they wanted a darker character, and brought up the past of young Bruce Wayne. And that feeling- that trauma of a little boy that saw his parents gunned down in front of them, helped him feel the requisite darkness. And instead of simply trying to "copy" his past vocal performances (which many VAs do, especially those with numerous roles), he instead prepares for the role by "bringing myself back to that dark place, and imagining myself as that little boy".
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Marvel- The Lost Generation! Batman: TAS)

Post by Ares »

Batman: TAS is a great example of what TV Tropes calls adaptation distillation: breaking down the best elements of Batman over the then 50 years he'd been around, and combining them together in a way that creates an iconic take on the character.

Honestly, I really enjoyed the three animated runs of Batman we got from the 90s to the late 2010s. The DCAU created a truly memorable version of the character that really defined what most people thought of, doing great character work, solid villain designs, great art, etc.

The Batman series that followed is likewise one of my favorites, being weaker and stronger than the DCAU version in different ways. The villain designs were frequently hit or miss, the art design wasn't as good and it had the unenviable task of following the DCAU version and got some hate for the "Bat Embargo". But at the same time, it did a really good job of showcasing a younger, more human Bruce Wayne who was still a fighter, a detective and a gadgeteer, stressed the fact that Batman actually worked well with others, really did a solid job of showcasing Bruce's relationship with Alfred, and had some amazing fight choreography.

Batman: The Brave and the Bold was a fun, lighthearted team-up series that showcased the flexibility of the Batman character, with Paul Dini writing an episode about how this was still "Batman" and how this version was just a viable and true to the character as the dark avenger crying for mommy and daddy. Though I'll admit, based on the tone, art style and humor, I would have picked this team for a Shazam animated series, especially if they kept the team up angle.

Not so much a fan of Justice League Action, but they recently had a Batman vs Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles animated movie that was awesome. I didn't realize how much I needed a Batman vs Shredder fight in my life til that movie.

I find a really well done animated series can do an amazing job of putting their spin on a character and getting into the core of what makes them work. All of the above shows/films do a solid job of this with Batman, moreso than quite a few comics writers have managed.

Gargoyles is still my favorite animated series tho. :D
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

Batman basically is a ninja, so a crossover with the TMNT is pretty fitting. That movie's version of Shredder was pretty great too (and they even referenced the first live-action movie in his entrance, and he also falls into a dumpster at one point) - He even had that two-fisted bending forward chi punch thing (sorry, forgot what it was called) that tends to crop up in martial arts fiction.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Batman

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:59 am Image

"NO! I am NOT a disgrace!... I am VENGEANCE!... I am the NIGHT!... I... AM... BATMAN!"

BATMAN (Bruce Wayne)
PL 8 (235), PL 9 (235)

BATMAN (Bruce Wayne)
PL 9 (244)

BATMAN (Bruce Wayne)- Later Version
PL 10 (252)
These builds kind of reflect the great flexibility of Batman in general and Batman: TAS as a whole. With a lot of characters, they will feel "off" if they're too weak, if they don't have access to certain things, etc. Batman is someone who works either as a more "down to Earth Pulp-y" crime fighter or as a member of the Justice League. Like Spider-Man, Bruce isn't the most powerful guy ever, but he's got such a diverse array of skills and gadgets that he can be challenged in multiple ways. Like I've said, he's a detective gadgeteer ninja. He's easily as smart and wealthy as Tony Stark, but focused that intellect on mastering a diverse array of skills rather than simply focus on technology.

I believe it was Kreuzritter that pointed out how Batman: TAS kind of shows the escalation Jim Gordon mentions in Batman Begins. Early on, we see mob bosses like Rupert Thorne and Roland Daggett in very prominent roles, as well as other minor mob bosses and criminals like the guy using homeless people as slave labor. We'd still get weird bits like Man-Bat (given that was the very first episode), but there was a lot more "grounded" crime early on. Even folks like Joker, Penguin, the Riddler, Catwoman and Two-Face were largely criminals with a gimmick. But then you'd start to get people like Poison Ivy, Clayface, Mr. Freeze, the Mad-Hatter, Killer Croc, nutjobs with actual superpowers or power-granting super-tech. Then we got an honest to God Bond Villain in the form of Ra's Al Ghul and Skynet wanna-be HARDAC, which took Batman from "stop bank heist/revenge scheme" to "Save The World".

And by the end of things, Bruce is at a PL where he can hang with Superman from his own Superman:TAS days where he was probably just a PL10 himself.

In essence, Batman: TAS is showcasing a world that witnesses the end of the era of the Criminal Mastermind and the rise of the Supervillain. A world where the Pulp Hero evolves into the Superhero.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

KorokoMystia wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:13 am Batman basically is a ninja, so a crossover with the TMNT is pretty fitting. That movie's version of Shredder was pretty great too (and they even referenced the first live-action movie in his entrance, and he also falls into a dumpster at one point) - He even had that two-fisted bending forward chi punch thing (sorry, forgot what it was called) that tends to crop up in martial arts fiction.
No basically about it. Batman is a martial artist with a focus on stealth and terror tactics that makes use of technology and psychological warfare to make his opponents fear him, to the point of sometimes attributing supernatural abilities to him. He will gain information through use of research and disguises, and has no qualms about fighting dirty to win a battle.

The main difference between Batman and ninja is philosophical. Batman will virtually never kill, and serves the greater good of humanity. Ninja had to function as spies and assassins, and were bound by loyalty to their clan and whomever their clan worked for.

Then again, most "heroic" ninja like the Turtles or Ryu Hayabusa don't really follow traditional ninja philosophy either.

But yeah, the Shredder fights were amazing, as was Leo's duel with Ra's Al Ghul. And I'm sure the technique Shredder uses was meant to be some kind of Dim Mak / Death Touch technique.

The crossover comics the movie was based on are pretty amazing as well.