Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Da Main Man

Post by Jabroniville »

LOBO
Created By:
Roger Slifer & Keith Giffen
First Appearance: Omega Men #3 (June 1983)
Role: The Main Man, Every Dumb Kid's Favourite Super-Hero, Bad-Ass '90s Anti-Hero Parody/Straight Example
Voice Actor: Brad Garrett
Finest Moment: Beat the bejeezus out of Kalibak.
PL 12 (158)
STRENGTH
14 STAMINA 14 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE -1

Skills:
Deception 5 (+4)
Expertise (Space Bounty-Hunter) 12 (+12)
Intimidation 10 (+9)
Investigation 4 (+4)
Perception 5 (+5)
Technology 4 (+4)
Vehicles 6 (+8)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Close Attack 2, Equipment 3 (Space Bike), Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Hold, Luck, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 8, Startle, Tracking

Powers:
Power-Lifting 2 (1,600 tons) [2]
Impervious Toughness 9 [9]
Regeneration 2 (Feats: Regrowth) [3]
Immunity 11 (Aging, Life Support) [11]

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+14 Damage, DC 29)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +14 (+5 Impervious), Fortitude +14, Will +6

Complications:
Prejudice (Obvious Superhuman)- He has a bunch of organic tentacles on top of his head. Kinda stands out.

Total: Abilities: 76 / Skills: 46--23 / Advantages: 21 / Powers: 25 / Defenses: 13 (158)

-Lobo was originally a bounty-hunter character in the Omega Men series DC had going in the '80s, but he pretty quickly disappeared- oddly enough, he was created by Roger Slifer, who wrote some of the best episodes of "Jem and the Holograms" back in the day. He was brought back in the '90s, deliberately decked out as a bad-ass, leather wearing pastiche of '90s heroes, but, in the kind of thing that usually happens in comics, he ended up getting POPULAR among the very crowd he was supposed to be making fun of, and he was set as a character. This kind of thing tends to happen to "over the top bad-ass" characters, as the line between parody and straight example is razor-thin, and bad-ass antics tend to make fans very quickly. As a result, any time you meet an unironic Lobo fan, beware. With a variable power level based on the book he's involved in, his appearances are invariably comedic, as he just hits anything moving and uses his colourful assortment of alien slang swear words.

-I just went with the standard Superman-class brawler Lobo, as that's pretty much how he was in the JLU episode I've seen, as well as his Superman appearances. Physically he's a match for Kal-El or anyone on the League (it took the whole team to beat him up, and he took down PL 11 Kalibak single-handedly without much effort), but he's a bit lower-end on Defense. I took out the silly "Regenerate from a single drop of blood" thing that was probably intended as a gag and not a recurring thing, but left on a couple ranks just for the hell of it. His cartoon appearance was more of a "generic big guy" role.

About the Performer: Brad Garrett is now by far most famous for playing the older brother Robert on "Everybody Loves Raymond", a job that made the most of his dreary voice (his natural speaking voice is much higher and quite ethnically Jewish) and penchant for physical comedy. His versatile vocal chords were rused frequently in cartoons going WAY back- he was the voice of Hulk Hogan in "Rock 'n' Wrestling". He's also a stand-up comic, though not really a well-respected one (one Comedy Central Roast pretty much just scored off of the fact that he was a joke-thief).
Jabroniville

Mr. Miracle

Post by Jabroniville »

MISTER MIRACLE (Scott Free)
Created By:
Jack Kirby
First Appearance: Mister Miracle #1 (April 1971)
Role: Escape Artist, Forgotten Hero
Voice Actor: Ioann Gruffudd
Finest Moment: Punched Granny Goodness in the face.
PL 10 (199)
STRENGTH
5 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 7
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 6
INTELLIGENCE 5 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Acrobatics 7 (+14)
Athletics 8 (+12)
Deception 4 (+8)
Expertise (Science) 5 (+10)
Expertise (New Gods Warrior) 4 (+9)
Insight 5 (+9)
Investigation 4 (+8)
Perception 8 (+12)
Persuasion 4 (+8)
Sleight of Hand 12 (+18)
Stealth 7 (+14)
Technology 6 (+11)
Vehicles 2 (+8)

Advantages:
Equipment 6 (Mother Box), Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll, Diehard, Evasion 2, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Defense, Ranged Attack 5, Uncanny Dodge, Ultimate Sleight of Hand Skill

Powers:
"New God Physiology"
Immunity 3 (Aging, Poison, Disease) [3]

"Flying Discs" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [26]
"Big Green Snare" Snare 8 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (24)
"Thrown Discs" Blast 8 (Feats: Dynamic) (17) -- (19)
Dynamic AE: Flying 6 (120 mph) (Feats: Dynamic) (Flaws: Platform) (7)
-- (43 points)

Equipment:
"Mother Box"
Communication 5 (15)
Healing 2 (Feats: Stabilize, Regrowth) (2)
"Boom Tube" Movement 3 (Space Travel 3) (Extras: Portal +2) (Flaws: Distracting) (Activation -2) (7)
Equipment 5 (Powerful Computer, PDA, etc.) (5)

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Green Snare +8 Area (+8 Affliction, DC 23)
Thrown Discs +11 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +7

Defenses:
Dodge +14 (DC 24), Parry +14 (DC 24), Toughness +5 (+6 D.Roll), Fortitude +7, Will +10

Complications:
Enemy (Granny Goodness, Darkseid)
Relationship (Big Barda)

Total: Abilities: 94 / Skills: 76--38 / Advantages: 20 / Powers: 29 / Defenses: 18 (199)

-I've never cared much for Scott Free, the ill-defined possibly-superhuman son of Highfather, though. He's... kind of peaceful? And a superhero? And wearing the worst costume ever... And he's an Escape Artist. Yeah. I mean, don't get me wrong- I REALLY LIKE the whole "as a peace offering, Darkseid & Highfather exchanged sons to raise, and both turned out good" concept. If anything, Kirby was a GOD at coming up with great one-shot concepts (the same way Stan Lee was great at tragedy). But the whole "Miracle" thing just doesn't appeal. I can barely figure out his stats- I'm making him a PL 10-ish guy, using the few weapons I saw him use in the show. He's a handy guy (with an INSANE Sleight of Hand ability), but not as elite as his wife, or most of his enemies.

About the Performer: A Welsh actor with a ridiculous name, Ioan Gruffudd is most famous for playing the lead in the "Horatio Hornblower" series... which I have no idea about. Like, I don't even know what that IS, despite always knowing it by the goofy-ass name. He was also in "King Arthur", both "Fantastic Four" movies (wait, Reed Richards?), and lots of other things. One of those actors who's in a LOT of stuff, yet I've never heard of.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
greycrusader

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Parasite! Supergirl! Steel! Brainiac! Lobo!)

Post by greycrusader »

You bought the Mother Box as Equipment rather than a device? I suppose in the context of "everyone on New Genesis has one", it makes sense, but an A.I. that can instantaneously heal and open interplanetary gateways is likely outside what is commonly considered as Equipment.

Mister Miracle is a character who REALLY only worked for Jack Kirby; see, Darkseid ISN'T supposed to be a generic, power-hungry "dark god" type. Kirby defined "life" as freedom of thought, creativity, and self-expression. Darseid seeking the Anti-Life equation mean trying to squelch all those qualities, to make everyone conform to what HE wanted-Live for Darkseid, Die for Darksied!-no freedom of thought. Scott Free is meant to be the antithesis of this, literally and figuratively escaping from any prison. His adventures are supposed to be about freeing himself, Barda, and others from false self-images, expectations of others, oppression of all kinds from within and without. Like the Forever People, OMAC, and Kamandi there were personal projects for Kirby that really don't fit all that well into broader comic book universes, or even outside the era they were created.

All my best.
Arkrite

Re: Mr. Miracle

Post by Arkrite »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:34 am - :P I've never cared much for Scott Free, the ill-defined possibly-superhuman son of Highfather, though.
*Glances over at Big Barda*
Hmm... I can't imagine why Jab doesn't like Mr Miracle. :lol:
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

I liked the way someone once summed up Mr. Miracle and Big Barda: "These are two people who escaped from Hell, for whom Heaven was a picket fence house in the suburbs." It's an eloquent analogy for people who served in war, saw some of the worst conditions imaginable, and for whom the greatest reward is a normal life.

It's one reason why modern comics can't do Mr. Miracle right, because these are two people who are suppose to thoroughly enjoy living as a married couple on Earth and for whom all of the 4th World stuff is an annoying inconvenience that they deal with out of a sense of responsibility. It's why that Tom King mini-series was so terrible, not only because no one was written in character, not only because Tom King projected his own issues onto the characters Heroes in Crisis style, but because he made Barda and Scott unhappy on Earth and with each other.

It also showcased why a lot of comic writers don't get Darkseid, as even the Death of the New Gods book portrayed him as a God of Chaos. He isn't Darkseid is a God of ORDER, but order in the most oppressive, tyrannical kind. Because when everything works exactly the way Darkseid wants, when free will is eliminated, you have a perfectly ordered universe. It's just a universe that indistinguishable from Hell.

It's also why the current Female Furies book that is basically "The #MeToo Movement on Apocalypse" just doesn't work. It hilariously tries to paint Darkseid and his leaders as sexist, that women have it worse than anyone there, and basically making it clear that the writer never read any real 4th World books before. Because Apocalypse is basically Hell. Everyone is being incredibly cruel to everyone else. Everyone will use and abuse anyone weaker than themselves, everyone will backstab those above them the second they show weakness in order to move ahead, and everyone acts out of absolute fear of Darkseid because he will slaughter you the moment you displease him. Granny Goodness takes young children of both genders and tortures them into being the perfect weapons for Darkseid, or else kills them when they fail. The fact that Scott Free and Big Barda remained good people despite their treatment is suppose to be a testament to their inner strength.

The Female Furies are an elite warrior group that Darkseid deploys on the most dangerous missions as expert shock troops. They are feared across the galaxy and have a special rank in Darkseid's forces. If anything, they are amongst a few very privileged people on Apocalypse due to their status.

If you were going to have a "#MeToo" the comic series, there are organizations where that might make some sense. I could easily see Ra's Al Ghul or Lex Luthor having some very questionable practices in their organizations.

But Darkseid? Darkseid could care less what's between your legs, because he wants to utterly own what's in your head.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Big Barda

Post by Jabroniville »

For some reason, I prefer the all red outfit.

BIG BARDA
Created By:
Jack Kirby
First Appearance: Mister Miracle #4 (Oct. 1971)
Role: Hot Amazon, Grouchy Chick, Worst Dresser Ever
Voice Actor: Farrah Forke
Finest Moment: Wore that red bikini thing
PL 11 (184)
STRENGTH
12 STAMINA 12 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+10)
Expertise (Apokolips Soldier) 8 (+11)
Insight 4 (+6)
Intimidation 8 (+10)
Perception 6 (+8)
Ranged Combat (Mega-Rod) 2 (+10)
Stealth 3 (+6)
Technology 4 (+7)
Vehicles 4 (+6)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Equipment 6 (Mother Box), Diehard, Fast Grab, Fearless, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Mega-Rod), Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Hold, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 7, Startle, Takedown

Powers:
"New God Physiology, But Much Stronger"

"Barda Armour" (Flaws: Removable) [8]
Impervious Toughness 10 (10 points)

"Mega-Rod" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [25]
Blast 11 (Feats: Penetrating 8) (30) -- (31)
  • AE: "Bash With Rod" Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Reach) (2)
Flight 5 (60 mph) (10)
-- (41 points)

Equipment:
"Mother Box"
Communication 5 (15)
"Boom Tube" Movement 3 (Space Travel 3) (Extras: Portal +2) (Flaws: Distracting) (Activation -2) (7)

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+12 Damage, DC 27)
Mega-Rod Melee+ 9 (+13 Damage, DC 28)
Mega-Rod Blast +10 (+12 Ranged Damage, DC 27)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +12 (+5 Impervious), Fortitude +12, Will +8

Complications:
Enemy (Granny Goodness)
Relationship (Mr. Miracle)

Total: Abilities: 90 / Skills: 40--20 / Advantages: 24 / Powers: 36 / Defenses: 14 (184)

-Big Barda is actually a pretty good character, considering my feelings on the New Gods as a whole. That said, her costume STINKS. Possibly the most ludcrously complex costume ever; it's bizarre even though it doesn't fit the usual 'blocks & circles' design that other Kirby-themed guys have. Just... all those primary colours, the scale-mail, the big fat helmet, the breastplate, the skirt thing... it's just too much stuff altogether. No wonder so many others just draw her in regular clothes or that red bikini thing. I kinda get a kick out of the cranky, bossy Big Barda (Author Appeal I guess, since Kirby based her off of his wife... and a Playmate's appearance- I share his feelings on the matter, though)- she plays well off the other characters, especially on JLU.

-Very powerful, Barda can take on any of the Female Furies one-on-one and come out on top 80% of the time, being a smaller variant of the bricks like Wonder Woman. A PL 11 brawler, her Mega-Rod can also fire out blasts at high power, or augment her natural strength with a boosted attack.

About the Performer: Big Barda was played by Farrah Forke, best known for playing Alex on "Wings" for two years. She did a lot of small parts in the early '90s (including Kari Wuhrer's lesbian lover in "Kate's Addiction"!), but never really went anywhere. She was perhaps most notorious for suing the company that made her breast implants, which ruptured and threatened her health.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

greycrusader wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:01 am You bought the Mother Box as Equipment rather than a device? I suppose in the context of "everyone on New Genesis has one", it makes sense, but an A.I. that can instantaneously heal and open interplanetary gateways is likely outside what is commonly considered as Equipment.

Mister Miracle is a character who REALLY only worked for Jack Kirby; see, Darkseid ISN'T supposed to be a generic, power-hungry "dark god" type. Kirby defined "life" as freedom of thought, creativity, and self-expression. Darseid seeking the Anti-Life equation mean trying to squelch all those qualities, to make everyone conform to what HE wanted-Live for Darkseid, Die for Darksied!-no freedom of thought. Scott Free is meant to be the antithesis of this, literally and figuratively escaping from any prison. His adventures are supposed to be about freeing himself, Barda, and others from false self-images, expectations of others, oppression of all kinds from within and without. Like the Forever People, OMAC, and Kamandi there were personal projects for Kirby that really don't fit all that well into broader comic book universes, or even outside the era they were created.

All my best.
Things like Mother Boxes are basically like Legion Flight Rings within their own little world, so I go with "Equipment". Otherwise I'm making super-expensive Devices for everybody, often for things they barely use, and it's kind of annoying. Maybe an Earth-only hero would have it be a Device, but even thing it's more of an ancillary thing that barely affects the plot. I mean, did Orion ever even use his?
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

My personal take on Scott Free was that he's the Batman of the Fourth World: all is "powers" comes from his personal conviction, his ability to fight for an impossible goal without even considering to surrender in spite of how outmatched he is. In actual fact Scott has, possibly, more in common with Ben Grimm of Steve Rogers: they're all characters whose spirits are way stronger than their bodies.
Ares wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:57 am I liked the way someone once summed up Mr. Miracle and Big Barda: "These are two people who escaped from Hell, for whom Heaven was a picket fence house in the suburbs." It's an eloquent analogy for people who served in war, saw some of the worst conditions imaginable, and for whom the greatest reward is a normal life.
No argument here, Scott and Barda are one of those background couples (like Ralph and Sue Dibny) that should never be touched.
Ares wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:57 am It also showcased why a lot of comic writers don't get Darkseid, as even the Death of the New Gods book portrayed him as a God of Chaos. He isn't Darkseid is a God of ORDER, but order in the most oppressive, tyrannical kind. Because when everything works exactly the way Darkseid wants, when free will is eliminated, you have a perfectly ordered universe. It's just a universe that indistinguishable from Hell.
Personally, I blame the Chaos=Evil equation on the various authors that tried to follow in the footsteps of Michael Moorcock and his Elric of Melnibone. Moorcock himself isn't completely blameless, since he made his Lords of Order way more relatable, from a human perspective, then the Lords of Chaos.
Ares wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:57 am It's also why the current Female Furies book that is basically "The #MeToo Movement on Apocalypse" just doesn't work. It hilariously tries to paint Darkseid and his leaders as sexist, that women have it worse than anyone there, and basically making it clear that the writer never read any real 4th World books before. Because Apocalypse is basically Hell. Everyone is being incredibly cruel to everyone else. Everyone will use and abuse anyone weaker than themselves, everyone will backstab those above them the second they show weakness in order to move ahead, and everyone acts out of absolute fear of Darkseid because he will slaughter you the moment you displease him. Granny Goodness takes young children of both genders and tortures them into being the perfect weapons for Darkseid, or else kills them when they fail. The fact that Scott Free and Big Barda remained good people despite their treatment is suppose to be a testament to their inner strength.
I'm not going to comment on the Female Furies series, except with one consideration: I always gave any series a 3-4 issues margin before deciding if I'm interested or not, this one I dropped after a single issue.
Jabroniville wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:01 am
greycrusader wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:01 am You bought the Mother Box as Equipment rather than a device? I suppose in the context of "everyone on New Genesis has one", it makes sense, but an A.I. that can instantaneously heal and open interplanetary gateways is likely outside what is commonly considered as Equipment.

All my best.
Things like Mother Boxes are basically like Legion Flight Rings within their own little world, so I go with "Equipment". Otherwise I'm making super-expensive Devices for everybody, often for things they barely use, and it's kind of annoying. Maybe an Earth-only hero would have it be a Device, but even thing it's more of an ancillary thing that barely affects the plot. I mean, did Orion ever even use his?
In my mind the best take on Motherboxes was Taliesin's that made them into Minions with a couple of in-built complications.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Jabroniville

Kalibak

Post by Jabroniville »

KALIBAK (Michael Dorn)
Created By:
Jack Kirby
First Appearance: Mister Miracle #1 (April 1971)
Role: Powerhouse, The Dragon (to Darkseid)
Voice Actor: Michael Dorn
Finest Moment: Fough Lobo and Lived
PL 11 (154)
STRENGTH
14 STAMINA 14 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -1 AWARENESS -1 PRESENCE -1

Skills:
Expertise (Apokolips Warrior) 5 (+4)
Intimidation 13 (+12)
Perception 4 (+3)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Equipment 6 (Mother Box), Diehard, Fast Grab, Great Endurance, Improved Hold, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 8, Startle

Powers:
"New God Physiology, But Much Stronger"
Power-Lifting 2 (1,600 tons) [2]
Impervious Toughness 13 [13]
"Heavyweight" Features 1: Increased Mass [1]

"Beta-Club" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [23]
"Nerve Beam" Affliction 12 (Fort; Dazed/Stunned/Paralyzed) (Extras: Cumulative, Ranged) (36) -- (37 points)
  • AE: Blast 12 (24)
Equipment:
"Mother Box"
Communication 5 (15)

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+14 Damage, DC 29)
Beta-Club +8 (+12 Ranged Damage, DC 27)
Nerve Beam +8 (+12 Ranged Affliction, DC 22)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +14 (+7 Impervious), Fortitude +14, Will +5

Complications:
Enemy (Orion, Superman)
Relationship (Father, Darkseid)

Total: Abilities: 66 / Skills: 22--11 / Advantages: 21 / Powers: 42 / Defenses: 14 (154)

-Kalibak is one of those guys who was seemingly created to be the ultimate adversary of the main hero except for his father, Darkseid, but it just never paid off in the long run. Problem is, he's your typical one-note personality Bruiser, and lacks much character depth (oh he's got some ultra-secret 'soft side' somewhere, but hides it to the point that nobody EVER mentions it), in addition to frequent losses against Orion & Superman as the New Gods get progressively less 'unstoppable' as the years go by. Cartoon Kalibak was almost more of a funny character than a serious one, with his giant, neckless head and humorous lines, but he kinda worked that way. He's still a dunderheaded minion, but at least he gets great lines like "It's Scott Free... and his COW." towards Big Barda.

-Kalibak is like alot of JLU Bruisers (this show played with Incredible Hulk-ripoffs A LOT- Solomon Grundy, General Eiling, Doomsday, etc.) in that he's a PL 11 super-heavyweight, but lacks alot of different types of powers. His "Nerve Beam" came from Wikipedia, as he probably couldn't do that in the cartoon, but I figured it was a unique enough power that it deserved building, and makes him something other than a big, retarded powerhouse. He's one of the few characters who matches Kal-El in Damage Bonus for his raw strength, meaning that Grapples between the two could go either way.

About the Performer: Kalibak is played by Michael Dorn, who is by far most famous for his role as Worf on various "Star Trek" shows. The gruff, bad-ass Klingon-in-the-Federation was a major character in the franchise, which is good, as it was the era in which if you played a role in Sci-Fi... you were a "Sci-Fi Actor". Period. Dorn still has appeared in so little stuff I don't even know what he actually looks like. Most of his other big roles are in Voice Acting, often as "Stunt-Casting" of a sort (like as Rufus 3000 in a "Kim Possible" movie)- one of the more notable ones was Coldstone in "Gargoyles".
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

Corey Burton has been in a LOT of voice acting roles, though one that sticks out to me is Shockwave in Transformers.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

The only other significant role that I've seen him in is a psychologist in the later seasons of Castle.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

Michael Dorn was also the "Warrior King" character in a strange little crossover arc that took place between the Savage Dragon, Wing Commander, Street Fighter, and Mortal Kombat cartoons, which had this barbarian king dude travelling between the different cartoon's worlds in search of some McGuffin Orb of great power that sustains their world.
Jabroniville

Bernadeth

Post by Jabroniville »

BERNADETH
Created By:
Jack Kirby
First Appearance: Mister Miracle #6 (Jan. 1972)
Role: The Grim Lady
Voice Actor: Jennifer Hale
PL 10 (145)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 6 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+12)
Deception 4 (+6)
Expertise (Apokoliptian Soldier) 7 (+10)
Intimidation 7 (+9)
Investigation 6 (+8)
Perception 6 (+8)
Stealth 4 (+8)

Advantages:
Beginner's Luck, Diehard, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Farehn-Knife) 2, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 6, Set-Up, Teamwork

Powers:
"New God Physiology"
Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]
Speed 2 (8 mph) [2]

"Farehn-Knife" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [20]
Strength-Damage +4 (Feats: Penetrating 8) Linked to Weaken Toughness 10 (Extras: Affects Objects) (32 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Farehn-Knife +10 (+10 Damage & Weaken, DC 25 & 20)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +6, Fortitude +8, Will +6

Complications:
Responsibility (Darkseid's Will)
Rivalry (Lashina, Over Furies Leadership)

Total: Abilities: 70 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 14 / Powers: 27 / Defenses: 16 (145)

-A vicious, ugly woman, Bernadeth wants to lead the Furies, and is thus constantly at the throat of Lashina. The two have feuded on-and-off since the beginning (resulting in death once- but New Gods have a nasty tendency to be resurrected all the time, meaning their deaths lack any kind of storytelling "oomph"). Bernadeth is a grim, skull-faced woman who has a disintegrating knife that burns things from the inside-out. Not a bad character all in all, just a little boring.

-Bernadeth's much like Mad Harriet, but with a much scarier weapon, basically a disintegration-based melee knife that can tear through all but the toughest metahumans. She's a bit light on the Skills & Advantages, mainly because she's not really shown doing much other than sneaking around plotting againsg Lashina and looking ugly and stuff, but that's a problem for most of this crew.
Jabroniville

Mad Harriet

Post by Jabroniville »

MAD HARRIET
Created By:
Jack Kirby
First Appearance: Mister Miracle #6 (Jan. 1972)
Role: The Joker but with Boobs
Voice Actor: Andrea Martin
PL 10 (118)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 6 AGILITY 6
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Expertise (Apokoliptian Soldier) 6 (+6)
Intimidation 8 (+8)
Perception 6 (+6)
Stealth 4 (+10)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Benefit (Ambidexterity), Diehard, Fast Grab, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Power Spikes) 2, Improved Hold, Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 3, Startle

Powers:
"New God Physiology"
Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]
Speed 2 (8 mph) [2]

"Power Spikes" (Flaws: Removable) [9]
Strength-Damage +3 (Feats: Split) (Extras: Penetrating 7) (11 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Power Spikes +11 (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Initiative +10

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +6, Fortitude +8, Will +5

Complications:
Responsibility (Darkseid's Will)

Total: Abilities: 62 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 14 / Powers: 16 / Defenses: 14 (118)

-Next off is Mad Harriet, one of the more interesting Female Furies designs. With a creepy Joker-Grin and Wolverine-like claws (pre-Logan, though!), she was pretty well-laid out as the crazy, psychotic one (compared to other Furies, even!). Not bad, but like most of the Furies, she's gone back and forth from good to evil, Earth to Apokolips, and back, so it's tough to see where the character's loyalties lie.

-Power-wise, the Female Furies are mostly elite mooks that can dish it out as a PL 10 level, but lack the points expenditure, like most one-note killers. As New Gods, they have an assortment of boosts to their mainline powers. The Furies are kinda problematic, because official New Gods "fluff" paints them as all super-strong beings, but they're ALSO supposed to be elite warriors with great martial skill. This combination of power plus accuracy would put them past PL 10 if done literally, but really, these girls are shown getting handily defeated by Wonder Woman & Big Barda even when it's five-on-two, so PL 10 is fine for them. They're scaled back accordingly.

About the Performer: Andrea Martin is a very well-respected, experienced actress & comedian- I was familiar with her from her "SCTV" days, but she's been in all sorts of things. She's in a lot of side roles, including "one line" characters, so she's no super-celeb, but she's "That Girl" in a lot of things, like Apu's mother on "The Simpsons", and Queen Slug-For-A-Butt on "Earthworm Jim".
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Minor quibble, would spikes on gloves really be that easy to disarm?