Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Metamorpho

Post by Jabroniville »

METAMORPHO (Rex Mason)
Created By:
Bob Haney & Ramona Fradon
First Appearance: The Brave and the Bold #57 (Jan. 1965)
Role: Shapeshifter, Unsuccessful Silver Age Character
Voice Actor: Tom Sizemore
Finest Moment: Beat up the entire League for a while
PL 10 (154)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 8 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+10)
Deception 3 (+6)
Expertise (U.S. Marine Corps) 7 (+10)
Expertise (Business) 4 (+7)
Insight 2 (+5)
Intimidation 4 (+7)
Perception 4 (+7)
Stealth 2 (+6)
Technology 2 (+5)
Treatment 1 (+4)
Vehicles 3 (+7)

Advantages:
Benefit (League Member), Diehard, Extraordinary Effort, Improved Critical (Body Weaponry), Power Attack, Ranged Attack 6, Seize Initiative, Startle, Takedown

Powers:
"Shapeshifting Elements"
Elongation 3 (60 feet) [3]
Regeneration 6 (Feats: Regrow Limbs) [7]

"Burning Mixture 3" Flame Aura 8 (32) -- [40]
  • AE: "Body Weaponry" Strength-Damage +4 (Feats: Variable Descriptor- Slashing/Bludgeoning) (5)
  • AE: "Burning Mixture 1" Damage 10 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Cone) (20)
  • AE: "Burning Mixture 2" Blast 10 (20)
  • AE: "Clay Trap" Snare 10 (30)
  • AE: "Multiple Fragments" Blast 8 (Extras: Multiattack) (24)
  • AE: "Liquid Form" Insubstantial 1 (Feats: Precise) (6)
  • AE: "Mist Form" Insubstantial 2 (Feats: Precise) (11)
  • AE: "Knockout Gas" Affliction 10 (Fort; Fatigued/Exhausted/Asleep) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Cloud +2) (30)
Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Body Weaponry +10 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Aura +10 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Burning 1 +10 Area (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Burning 2 +10 (+10 Ranged Damage, DC 25)
Clay Trap +10 (+10 Ranged Affliction, DC 20)
Multiple Fragments +10 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Knockout Gas +10 Area (+10 Affliction, DC 20)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +8, Fortitude +8, Will +7

Complications:
Prejudice (Obvious Metahuman)- Rex looks like a weird mish-mash of elements.
Relationship (Sapphire Stagg)- Rex loves his boss' daughter, and vice-versa.

Total: Abilities: 62 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 14 / Powers: 50 / Defenses: 10 (154)

-Ugh, THIS guy. As I've said before, I dislike Metamorpho. He looks silly, he's dull, and he'll probably never be cool, despite his very unique and interesting power-set (seemingly designed to capitalize on how DC Comics back in the day used a lot of real-life science or fictionalized-science). So Metamorpho will always remain stuck in the Silver Age. He had some luck in Batman & The Outsiders in the Bronze Age, but that ultimately didn't lead to enduring success.

-That said, his Justice League two-parter in the cartoon was decent, if only for the relationship between John Stewart and Rex, and each envied the other (John admired Rex's money, relationship and career, while Rex idolized John's heroics). It was pretty well acted (and hey- it had Winnie Cooper as Rex's wife, Sapphire!), but it all gets shot to hell the second this four-coloured idiot shows up with his goofy white face, leg made of poop, and purple body. And I guess Tom Sizemore was busy, because he never showed up for JLU, even with it's huge roster, despite Metamorpho showing up in background shots, and once when he jobbed to Parasite.

-For stats, Metamorpho has a really solid mix, making him a dangerous threat in melee or at range. He was tough enough to fend off the entire League for a bit, though like a lot of other guys, he "normalized" to a lower Power Level. He can "Alt-Effect" a new chemical compound if he needs to by spending Hero Points- a science nerd could make him as effective as a Magic character.

About the Performer: Tom Sizemore is... an actor who's name I know. I don't recognize his face, nor have I seen any of his stuff. He was in "Heat", "Point Break", and various other things. Oh, he was in "Saving Private Ryan" and "Black Hawk Down" as one of the soldiers, too- I've seen those! His career famously (I guess) went to shit in the 2000s amidst drug addiction and all sorts of stuff. He's continued to be pretty much a giant mess up to the present day, with his ex-girlfriend, Hollywood Madam Heidi Fleiss, insisting that "The thought of being with you could turn any woman gay!".
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Orion! Darkseid! V. Savage! The Shade! Wonder Woman!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Ares wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:17 am I'll admit, I never really understood the issue some writers had with Wonder Woman being allegedly difficult to write. She's essentially DC's answer to someone like Thor, a character that blends the modern and the mythic, and faces off against threats from both the modern world and the realms of gods and monsters.
If it wasn't hard to write her, then more people would be good at writing her :). I mean, Grant Morrison wrote a pretty kick-ass JLA, and even he was like "Yeah, I'm not really a fan".

I went into this in more detail with my official-DCU version of WW, but it felt like every writer also wants to add in their own version of "The Perfect Woman" onto her, which often leaves her as this boring, stoic person. Phil Jiminez for example tried to write that she was "hysterical" and had a filthy mouth if she was PO'd at somebody, but did the "tell, don't show" thing with it, because his WW was as mom-like as the rest of them.

And it's also a thing that there's no really set VERSION of Diana. She's different in every incarnation, even from one writer to the next. She's not as defined as Superman or Batman, who can and will immediately feel "wrong" with one sentence written poorly. Spoony or whoever that guy with the Kermit the Frog voice did a long series of videos about WW, didn't he? All about how writers couldn't agree on anything and then someone figured she could be an "Incarnation of Truth"? But then THAT disappeared, too.
Maybe it's my background in martial arts, but the idea of someone who knows how to fight preaching peace isn't really that massive a contradiction either. Being skilled at fighting doesn't have to mean you like hurting people: it can simply mean you refuse to let someone else hurt anyone that doesn't deserve it, yourself included. One writer summed Diana's attitude up as being akin to a Shaolin Monk: They don't want to hurt you, and will give you a warning if you try to attack them. If you ignore that warning and continue to attack them, then they're going to break your arm and lecture you on your mistake.
This is true (and reminds me of Luke's endless warnings to Jabba in ROTJ to "release us, or die..."), but most writers tend to just write her as aggressive, like in that one JLU episode. A hot-blooded Thor-type ass-kicker.
I think the largest problem Diana has isn't her personality, but the Island of the Amazons and Amazonian Society as a whole. Coming from an island of immortal amazonian warriors is an essential part of her mythos, but who writers handle that part can be problematic for her character and storytelling in general.
Pretty much. The person who invented WW was a nutjob misandrist into bondage, though an incredibly fascinating genius in his own right, and this has a tendency to create an "Amazons = Marysuetopia" stereotype... but various writers have come in and poked so many holes in it that Amazons instead come off as warlike and aggressive psychos. The Bana Migdall tribe seemed to be particularly nutso about it.
Ken

Post by Ken »

My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:50 am
Ares wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:17 amMaybe it's my background in martial arts, but the idea of someone who knows how to fight preaching peace isn't really that massive a contradiction either. Being skilled at fighting doesn't have to mean you like hurting people: it can simply mean you refuse to let someone else hurt anyone that doesn't deserve it, yourself included. One writer summed Diana's attitude up as being akin to a Shaolin Monk: They don't want to hurt you, and will give you a warning if you try to attack them. If you ignore that warning and continue to attack them, then they're going to break your arm and lecture you on your mistake.
This is true (and reminds me of Luke's endless warnings to Jabba in ROTJ to "release us, or die..."), but most writers tend to just write her as aggressive, like in that one JLU episode. A hot-blooded Thor-type ass-kicker.
Why Luke's Plan to Rescue Han Was Brilliant...And Diabolical

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jabroniville

The Annihilator

Post by Jabroniville »

THE ANNIHILATOR
Created By:
Ron Zimmerman, Robert Goodman & Joaquim Dos Santos
Role:[/b] Unstoppable Juggernaut, Destroyer Armor Knock-Off
Voice Actor: None
Finest Moment: Pretty much beat up anyone.
PL 12 (98)
STRENGTH
15 STAMINA -- AGILITY -2
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -- AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE --

Skills:
None

Advantages:
Close Attack 3, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Power Attack

Powers:
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
"Adamantium Body" Protection 16 (Extras: Impervious 31) [47]
Growth 4 (Str & Toughness +4, +4 Mass, +2 Intimidation, -2 Dodge/Parry, -4 Stealth) -- (12 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [9]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+15 Damage, DC 30)
Initiative -2

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +20 (+16 Impervious), Fortitude --, Will +0

Complications:
Power Loss (No Violence)- Without violence to drive it, The Annihilator can do nothing. Unless someone's soul were to inhabit it. That'd be bad.

Total: Abilities: -2 / Skills: 00--0 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 86 / Defenses: 7 (98)

-The Annihilator seemed to be a one-shot opponent in Justice League Unlimited, fighting Wonder Woman, Hawk & Dove, and generally being invincible. NOBODY could lay a hurting on Hephaestus's creation, and it could only be stopped when an increasingly-violent and ornery Wonder Woman finally clued in and realized that the thing fed off of rage and violence, and stopped attacking it. Deemed useless, the thing ended up on The Watchtower, at which point is was procured by Task Force X, who used it to kick Atom Smasher's ass and bust their way through the League's home-base. The magical witch Tala tried to use her powers to unlock its potential, but her ex-mentor Felix Faust (who spent less time training her and more time on... other things) broke free and took it over. He used it to get revenge on Hades (who'd screwed him over years before) and was generally invincible, until Hawkgirl's Deus Ex Mace-ina broke through it's magical protection and defeated it.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Comments about the past few days' guys:
Murkglow:
Just a minor note, Atomic skull was the guy Wildcat was destroying when Black Canary/Green Arrow came to stop him from fighting in the arena (as in Wildcat pwn'd him + was in the process of crushing his skull to dust). I wonder if the Wildcat vs Atomic Skull match using these character builds would go nearly as well for Wildcat (I think not baring some lucky crits/low rolls from skull :wink: ).
Me:
Yeah, Atomic Skull at first barely looked like he had powers. When Luthor gave the rest of the Society power-ups, it was pretty much a set of "Wrecking Crew Power-Ups" (my own personal catchphrase for when somebody supposedly gains a power-boost in story, yet is reduced to a Jobber immediately anyways), sorta like Darkseid's was. But Skull was soon laying waste to hordes of Mooks, and seemed pretty damn powerful by the end, so his was apparently an elite push.

Of course, I'm more likely to believe that the writers just used him as interesting looking "Filler" in "The Cat and the Canary", and decided to make him more awesome later when Luthor needed a villain army.

Also, I remember reading something about that "Static" story- I believe it was based off of one from the comics. Sounds like good stuff. Maybe all the episodes I saw were just filler ones.
Horsenhero:
Oh yeah!? Well, Metamorpho is the....

Nevermind. I just can't bring myself to do it.

Now...if Metamorpho was a good looking chica is a stripperific costume...sure, but as a design only Animal-Vegetable-Mineral Man (I'm not making it up!) could envy? Nah.
Grayson:
I hate to pile on poor Metamorpho but..."Worst Dressed Nomine."
Saint Matthew:
An yet "Shift" looks awesome... How the hell does that work? They have essentially the same look yet Metamorpho sucks & Shift is awesome. HOW? WHY? WHEN? Wait, does "when" count as a viable question? :lol:
Woodclaw:
WW has tons of great problems, but some - at least in my opinion - edge out everything else:
Wishful Thinking.
One of the reasons WW was supposed to be different from the bulk of superheroes was/is that her main opponents weren't solid persons, she had no Joker or Luthor. Her main opponents were supposed to be hate, discrimination, inequality and so on. Now this is a concept difficult to ferry and implement today, let alone in past decades.
Boys Writing a Girl.
WW is supposed to be the epitome of womanhood in several ways, which implies writing her from a female perspective. Over the years how many female writers actually handle the character? Just one, Gail Simone, and her run of the character was awfully short. As a result the quality of the writing is very dwindling, depending from how well male writer understand female psychology.
Failing Mythology 101.
Jab pretty much summed up this part in his commentaries, but I want to remark this again. Aside from the immediate post-crisis era (George Perez run), when the authors actually tried to cram in some mythology element, the mythological element of WW is usually left out from the stories or twisted in ways the human mind wasn't meant to comprehend.
Unused Ideas
WW is a character that (in my opinion at least) is ripe with unused possibilities. Just for example I was always kind of surprised that nobody had ever attempted to make a "urban fantasy" story based on the character I think that would work great.
No Iconic Version
This is just sad, apparentlly the only element of WW that has made to the iconic status in pop culture is her costume (which I really don't like). Last year I witnessed tons of nerd-rage over the proposed costume from the rejected new pilot being unfaithful to the original, but not word spent about characterization and powers. As Jab noted everybody knows a bit about Superman and Batman looks and works, but nobody seem to know a thing about WW.
Well this is my personal list of problems, debate if you wish.
Murkglow:
'm not so sure about that. Power wise she is a "flying brick" with her special items (Bracers & Lasso mostly). There is a bit of wobble room in a few areas (Invisible jet for example) but no more then Batman's changing gear makes him hard to totally pin down. I think most people could tell you that. The fact that she is a well trained warrior is a bit less well known to the general public but it's still not a nitch bit of information. More people probably know that then there are people who know Batman is well trained in the use of weapons such as a Battleaxe.

Character is harder but then it is for all of the characters, Superman and Batman included. People in general could give you Batman from the movies and Superman is so basic a character that a general idea of the character can be thrown down easy enough. Wonder Woman doesn't have that same easy access to the general population but a basic summery of her character isn't that difficult.
Saint Matthew (how surprising he'd take this the wrong way, lol):
I take offense at this sentiment... Saying that a male writer can't write WW because she's the epitome of Womanhood is like saying a normal well adjusted person, with no above average physical abilities can't write Batman, because he's the epitome of a driven type A personality, with a plethora of personality disorders... Or that a human couldn't possibly write Superman because he's the epitome of a Kryptonian... Women are not magical, despite what some of them will have you believe.

That logic is asanine. Women possess no universal characteristics, nor are there any universal female characteristics. There is no such thing as "the epitome of womanhood," it does not exist. An thats the real problem with WW... To much focus on the Woman part of it, no focus on the Wonder side of it.
Woodclaw:
m sorry if I offended you in any way. My point wasn't that it's impossible for a male writer to do a good job handling a female character (it happened a lot of times, e.g. Gray-Palmiotti on Powergirl), nor the opposite.
Also I agree that there's no such thing as "universally female" or "universally male" characteristics, but at the same time I think that there are psychological elements that are more typical of one gender or the other.
Still I disagree completly with your last consideration, WW is the only superheroine with an ongoing serie, and this sets a difference. She has to written in a different way. Otherwise focusing just on the "wonder" part, on the superheroics elements, she will end up being just another flying brick character.
Gazman:
I think that part of the problem is that Wonder Woman is the female superhero. And that was cool for like 30 years. But now there are a lot of female superheroes. What's so special about Wonder Woman? Just being a woman doesn't cut it anymore. And DC has more than enough flying bricks/paragons. Since nobody can agree on what's so special about Wonder Woman's personality or her powers she juts gets passed around from fad to reboot to fresh start to whatever. Nothing ever get settled or established other than star spangled panties.

Justice League at least made Diana the warrior and the ingenue. She wasn't the same as Hawkgirl or Batman or GL, but somewhere between them. It worked. At least enough to make her a more interesting and compelling character than Clark and J'onn.

Hahaha. You just reminded me that Goldface got his face melted off for challenging Luthor one too many times.

I think Hatter not attacking Batman again in Perchance to Dream was him being genre savvy. He knows that Batman will resist and fight back. So don't try and make him do anything. Don't try and take advantage. Just give him whatever he wants and walk away Bat free.
SpeedofZound (from my old SHC board):
heh, reminds me the time KK and Gail Simone argued for weeks over the 'Endless Series of Mulligans' WW got opposed to Martian Manhunter
Ares:
I hear the Wonder Woman animated movie did an okay job of this as well, with Steve calling the Amazons out on their Straw Feminist stances, and apparently a lot of them get over it. And really, the way they get portrayed, the Amazon's should get called out on this more. Yeah, everything is all nice on that island apparently, but it's an island with a fixed population where everyone is immortal and there's no other groups they need to get along with other than their own. The rest of the world has to try to get along with 6 billion other people. Their society has also essentially stagnated, with no new developments or advances until Diana came along.
Yeah, there's several instances where Hades looks okay, though most people tend to make him the bad guy because Death = Bad apparently. I'm trying to find a download of this 1998 Canadian animated series called Mythic Warriors: Guardians of the Legend, because supposedly it did a really good job of sticking to the source material while making it appropriate for kids. The search continues at the moment tho.
I'm really digging this so far, given my own animation obsession. Hell, I think you could get a lot of mileage out of just adapting various animated series, make your own Jab-built Animated Crossover-verse where you've statted out the power levels of various cartoons. Then I'll finally know how the animated Snake-Eyes and Batman match up in a fight. ^_^

I actually thought the take on Dove in the cartoon was fairly solid for a pacifist hero, making him more of a judo/aikido style guy who is more about letting his opponent hurt themselves than harming them directly.

But as a concept, Hawk and Dove really only work if the writer is able to let both of the duo's stances have merit and work at different times. I tend towards the diplomacy/talk first/least amount of violence possible side of things, but even I know that aggression, has its place. The problem is that most of the time, Hawk either comes off as some pro-violent chunk head, or Dove sounds like some inneffectual hippie sterotype
JetstreamGW:
I'm in a weird court for Hawk 'n Dove... I don't like Hank Hall any more than I liked Don.

Dawn Granger is awesome. So was Holly Granger for the brief forty seconds or so she was with us. I want to see THAT Hawk and Dove team again.
Yojimbo:
Hawk & Dove are among my favorite characters who never got a chance. I do prefer Dawn to Don, however.

Their 90s book (written by the Kesels) introduced all the Chaos/Order stuff and generally worked really well portraying both Hank and Dawn as decent but flawed people. Dawn was definitely more classically "good," but Hank was no less heroic. And he kicked a lot of ass.

Also, while they don't show it in the cartoon, both have regeneration, although I think Hawk's is better than Dove's (as Dove doesn't get hit often).

I'm also a big fan of Vixen - and as I said before, were I John I'd have picked her over Hawkgirl any day. Gina Torres is reason enough.
kirinke

Post by kirinke »

If I remember my mythology rightly, Hades and Hephestus were probably the least douchy of the Greek Gods. I mean, outside of the Persephone thing, Hades really didn't act out as much as the others and in comparison, that was pretty mild... Most of the rest were nooo prizes.
Kirinke's Compendium of Wondrous Creatures
Kirinke's Conversions (D&D Items to M&M3E Rules)

Battle Init
Viv: 24
Ren:22
Peekaboo: 20
Deutschritter: 19
Amy: 15
Angrboda: 15
Adeleth: 14
Thugs: 12
Lilly: 7
Alma: 5
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

DC Annihilator with "Adamantine Body" protection--yeah, I saw what ya did there! :P
Jabroniville

Giganta

Post by Jabroniville »

Hell YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

GIGANTA
Created By:
William Moulton Marston
First Appearance: Wonder Woman #9 (Summer 1944)
Role: Size-Changer, Fetish Fuel Incarnate
Voice Actor: Jennifer Hale
Finest Moment: Knocks around Superman & Wonder Woman
PL 11 (125)
STRENGTH
4/14 STAMINA 4/14 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Close Combat (Unarmed) 3 (+9)
Deception 2 (+5, +10 Attractive)
Expertise (Criminal) 3 (+3)
Insight 2 (+2)
Intimidation 4 (+7, +15 Size)
Perception 4 (+4)
Persuasion 3 (+6, +11 Attractive)
Vehicles 5 (+5)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Attractive 2, Fascination (Intimidation), Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Unarmed) 2, Improved Hold, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4, Takedown 2

Powers:
"Large Size- Over 100 Feet Tall"
Growth 10 (Str & Sta +10, +10 Mass, +5 Intimidation, -4 Dodge/Parry, +1 Speed, -9 Stealth) -- (30 feet) [20]
Growth +7 (Str & Sta +17, +17 Mass, +8 Intimidation, -8 Dodge/Parry, +2 Speed, -17 Stealth) -- (120 feet) (Flaws: Limited to Non-Str & Sta Increases) [7]

Speed 2 (30 mph) [2]
"Giant-Sized Fists & Feet" Strength-Damage +0 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst on 11 Ranks) (11) -- [12]
  • AE: "Hitting Power" Strength-Damage +1 (1)
Close Combat -2 [-2]
Enhanced Dodge & Parry 2 (Flaws: Limited to Top Size) [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Giant Strength +7 (+15 Damage, DC 30)
Giant-Sized Fists & Feet +11 Area (+11 Damage, DC 26)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +4, Fortitude +6, Will +5
"Full Size" Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +4 (DC 14), Toughness +14, Fortitude +16, Will +5

Complications:
Relationship (Grodd)- Giganta was transformed from a simple ape to a stunning, growing woman by Grodd. Eternally grateful, she considers him her boyfriend. But if he drops her for someone else, there will be HELL to pay.
Vulnerable (Easy to Hit)- When fighting against a Full-Sized Giganta, any character may be treated as having the Power Attack Advantage, allowing them to go +5 to damage. He's such an big target that all his vulnerable spots are enormous.

Total: Abilities: 38 / Skills: 26--13 / Advantages: 15 / Powers: 40 / Defenses: 19 (125)

-ahhhhhhhhhh GIGANTA. Pretty much the living incarnation of Macrophilia Fetish Fuel in the world, though comics seemed to discover that a bit late. Giant Ladies being hot has been known since at least when Attack of the 50 Ft. Woman came out in the 1950s, and shows like Futurama definitely made the most of it, but comic books seemed late in the game. And man, is this a common fetish- though it's typically reserved for FemForce comics, as it's too easily played for laughs these days. It sometimes gets roped into weird stuff like feet or vore (I mean, can you imagine? Giantess fetishism made WEIRD?), but HOLY HELL YES.

-Justice League made the most of it when they introduced Giganta- showing her as this leggy eight-footer, they had The Shade speak for everyone when he's basically like "YEEEEEEAAAAHHHHHH" to her. Jennifer Hale's "Sweet Little Girl" voice being so incongruous to her massive height just made it all the better ("Are-are you sure? I'm a little heavier than I look" "Quit being such a GIRL!" *thud* "Ow..."). And then SHE GROWS TO A HUNDRED FEET HIGH (Shade: "This just keeps getting better and better"). And the show then made glorious, glorious use of a woman in a cavegirl outfit with legs the size of skyscrapers, as she beat the tar out of men while acting like a dainty girl. Let's just say that the art team on the show was VERY well aware that true gentlemen everywhere can appreciate a woman who could skoosh you at will :).

-Utterly devoted to Grodd, Giganta was his willing minion, though she would turn on him when she realized how little he truly cared for her. She ends up allying with Lex Luthor when the Secret Society breaks up, helps the League take down dozens of Parademons at once by being a glorious, glorious giantess, and then decides randomly to go and smooch The Flash right before the villains get their "head start". Oh yeah- the animators knew. Did they ever know.

-PS, I like Giantesses.

-Giganta's coming up short in points because she's nowhere near her genius comics version, and isn't very skilled at all, but she's still quite mighty, able to take on Wonder Woman or Superman and actually last (and possibly even win). She has the usual limitations of Growing characters (like being lesser defensively than offensively, but she has some Protection to make up for it), but hits VERY hard, moreso than any other JLU character, as befits someone who can knock Wonder Woman out with one good shot. There's still that issue where she just gave up against Longshadow because he was taller than her ("oh POOP"), but I'll say she's just cowardly and realized he AND Wonder Woman were gonna be too much for her.

About the Performer: Giganta was played by Jennifer Hale, one of the most frequently-cast people in the industry. Though her "Generic Voice" is almost constantly used in various shows (like The Black Cat in "Spider-Man", Cinderella in Disney's sequels to that film, and more), she's also a go-to VA for "tough girls", "girly girls", and more. On "JLU" alone, she played Zatanna and Killer Frost as well. She was Ms. Marvel in "Avengers: EMH", the female Commander Shepard in the huge "Mass Effect" trilogy, Ashe in "Overwatch", and more- basically, if you wanted a tough chick, you went with Jennifer Hale.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:42 am, edited 4 times in total.
Jabroniville

Cheetah

Post by Jabroniville »

CHEETAH (Real Name Unknown)
Created By:
William Moulton Marston & H.G. Peter
First Appearance: Wonder Woman #6 (Oct. 1943)
Role: Wonder Woman's Key Opponent, Animalistic Villain, "Was Once a Woman" Character
Voice Actor: Sheryl Lee Ralph
Finest Moment: Actually held her own against Wonder Woman
PL 10 (167)
STRENGTH
8 STAMINA 7 AGILITY 6
FIGHTING 12 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 5 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 8 (+14)
Athletics 4 (+12)
Deception 4 (+6)
Expertise (Science) 8 (+13)
Expertise (Criminal) 2 (+7)
Intimidation 6 (+8)
Perception 6 (+9)
Stealth 3 (+9)
Technology 5 (+10)

Advantages:
Agile Feint, All-Out Attack, Chokehold, Defensive Attack, Diehard, Evasion 2, Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Initiative 2, Improved Hold, Improved Trip, Move-By Action, Power Attack, Precise Attack (Close/Concealment), Ranged Attack, Seize Initiative, Startle, Takedown, Uncanny Dodge

Equipment:
"Cheetah/Human Hybrid"
"Animal Senses" Senses 6 (Low-Light Vision, Acute & Extended Scent, Extended & Ultra-Hearing, Scent-Tracking) [6]
"Cheetah Power Sprint" Speed 4 (32 mph) [4]
"Prehensile Tail" Extra Limb 1 [1]
"Claws" Movement 2 (Wall-Crawling) [4]

"Cat Agility" Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]
"Spotted Coat" Enhanced Skills 4: Stealth 4 (+13) (Flaws: Limited to Dense plants or undergrowth) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +14

Defenses:
Dodge +13 (DC 23), Parry +13 (DC 23), Toughness +7, Fortitude +9, Will +4

Complications:
Responsibilty (Science)
Prejudice (Freak)- An outcast, Cheetah is now clearly a metahuman animal hybrid. She believes that nobody will ever accept her.

Total: Abilities: 92 / Skills: 46--23 / Advantages: 23 / Powers: 18 / Defenses: 11 (167)

-Cheetah's just one of those villains that was never quite as big as she should have been. She sorta turned out being Wonder Woman's most-iconic nemesis, although really she'd be a small fry in anyone else's Rogues Gallery. They've had like FOUR variations over time, with tons of changes (identity, powers, everything), all implying that she (or he, the one time) ain't that great a character- I mean, if she's so special, then why is every version different? Last I checked, she was a Society Girl who doubled as a Sabretooth wannabe in her private life. I don't even think she's supposed to be that strong, but somehow she's supposed to hang with the PL 14-ish Wonder Woman. I don't get it.

-The Justice League incarnation of Cheetah was a different "animal" of sorts, basically doing the "They all laughed at me, so I experimented upon myself" to become a metahuman "Freak" who would never have a chance at a real relationship. Someone get her in touch with the Furry Fandom, stat! She got some pathos in her story (she was allied with Lex Luthor's Injustice Gang, and gave them up to free Batman, who "touched" her, if you know what I mean), and it was implied that she was killed out of revenge by Luthor & Solomon Grundy. An animation error left her alive at the scene, and the writers just kinda shrugged and decided she was alive again, and as a villain, too- working for Grodd & Luthor's new Secret Society, as well as a minor super-gang featuring Copperhead, Blockbuster & K.G. Beast.

-Cheetah isn't too powerful in JLU- just a PL 10 Super-Criminal with some very good Cap Manipulation, which leaves her rather deadly if used properly. She has some animalistic senses, super-speed, and she's pretty hard to hit when she wants to be.

About the Performer: Sheryl Lee Ralph is more of a singer by trade, having a pretty successful career on Broadway (wow, "Dreamgirls" came out in *1981*?), but has appeared in a handful of films, though mostly minor stuff like "Sister Act 2". She was Dee Mitchell on "Moesha" for five years, which is her biggest CURRENT thing. Her soulful "black lady" voice was pretty good for the catlike Cheetah- shades of Eartha Kitt as Catwoman.
Jabroniville

Copperhead

Post by Jabroniville »

COPPERHEAD (Real Name Unknown)
Created By:
Bob Haney & Bob Brown
First Appearance: The Brave and the Bold #78 (June 1968)
Role: Jobber Villain, Background Filler
Voice Actor: Efrain Figueroa & Jose Yenque
Finest Moment: Almost poisoned Batman to death
PL 9 (130)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 6
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Acrobatics 7 (+13)
Athletics 5 (+9)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+12)
Deception 4 (+4)
Expertise (Criminal) 4 (+4)
Intimidation 7 (+7)
Perception 3 (+3)
Stealth 6 (+12)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Benefit (Ambidexterity), Chokehold, Daze (Intimidation), Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Bite), Improved Defense, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Improved Initiative, Improved Trip, Power Attack, Startle, Taunt, Uncanny Dodge

Powers:
"Tail" Extra Limb 1 [1]
"Slippery as a Snake" Movement 2 (Wall-Crawling, Slithering) [4]
"Poisonous Bite" Strength-Damage +1 Linked to Weaken Strength 8 (Extras: Progressive +2) [25]
"Contortionist" Features 1: Can Twist into Impossible Shapes [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Bite +10 (+4 Damage & +8 Weaken, DC 19 & 18)
Initiative +10

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +4, Fortitude +6, Will +4

Complications:
Prejudice (Obvious Superhuman)- With snake-like teeth and eyes, Copperhead would have a hard time blending in with normal people.

Total: Abilities: 52 / Skills: 38--19 / Advantages: 15 / Powers: 30 / Defenses: 14 (130)

-Copperhead pretty much defines "Jobber Villain" in the Justice League series, being there for virtually every major or minor criminal gang operation, since no one supervillain can challenge the ENTIRE League anymore unless they're SUPER strong. So the poor snake-guy ends up getting his ass kicked like 50-thousand times, in increasingly embarassing losses. Too bad- his comic book design is actually pretty cool and threatening. If he was in the Serpent Society, he'd totally be the coolest-looking member. Which I admit is sorta like being the valedictorian in Summer School, but still. His one big thing was poisoning Batman quite badly as part of the Injustice Gang, but later he was successfully intimidated by Hawkgirl, who simply flew high into the air and told him that if she was poisoned, she'd drop him ("Good bluff" "Who's BLUFFING?"). He's just a backgrounder after that, typically just used as "a guy you can recognize in group shots"- he's one of many Secret Society members killed by Killer Frost & Darkseid in the series finale.

-Copperhead's one of the weaker villains, relying on a sneak attacking and using Stealth. His focus is agility & grappling, as well as his poisonous bite (which he of course he can NEVER USE, since in TV shows, that's way more dangerous than in RPGs), and isn't BAD so much as really out of his depth among some of the people he chooses to fight. And he's a wussy coward who pees his pants when he thinks he's in Hell. His powers allow him to Poison others (typical slow-acting TV poison, not quite the paralytic venom of the comic book version's, or a real Copperhead), he can twist like crazy (but isn't Insubstantial- I made it a Feature since "can squirm through chimneys isn't exactly an elite power), and uses his tail as a weapon.

About the Performers: Efrain Figueroa is a Latino bit-actor who's been in the occasional thing (Jorge on "The Shield"), but never a big role. He was replaced by Jose Yenque, who's had a similar career (both have played multiple people on "NYPD Blue", for example), but was on "Days of Our Lives" for 23 episodes. Neither actor is big enough to have a Wikipedia page.
Jabroniville

Black Mass

Post by Jabroniville »

BLACK MASS (Geoffrey Thibodeaux)
Created By:
Gerry Conway & Chuck Patton
First Apperance: Justice League of America #233 (Dec. 1984)
Role: Jobber Villain, Powerhouse
Voice Actor: None
Finest Moment: Brawled with Superman a short while
PL 8 (83)
STRENGTH
2/11 STAMINA 2/8 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Deception 3 (+3)
Expertise (Science) 4 (+8)
Expertise (Criminal) 3 (+3)
Intimidation 6 (+6)
Technology 4 (+8)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Close Attack, Ranged Attack 3

Powers:
"Black Mass Wrist-Bands" (Flaws: Removable) [32]
Enhanced Strength 9 (18)
Enhanced Stamina 6 (12)
Protection 3 (Extras: Impervious 7) (10)
-- (40 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +5 (+11 Damage, DC 26)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +11, Fortitude +8, Will +3

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)

Total: Abilities: 28 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 32 / Defenses: 8 (83)

-You know that I TOTALLY guessed this guy's code-name just by looking at him in in one-episode appearance? THAT'S how obvious it was that they'd name a big, fat black guy "Black Mass"? In any case, he's just a Powerhouse guy in the show, meant to hold off Superman for all of five seconds, instead of using any of his "Gravity Powers" (whatever they were) from the comics. His comic version has an amusing history of being KO'd numerous times, left in a vegetative state by a bullet, then made O.K. for a background panel or two, and then killed OFF-PANEL, because somebody drew him lying dead in the JLA "Hall of Justice" and it's vault of the dead.
Ken

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Wonder Woman! The Atom! Annihilator! Giganta!)

Post by Ken »

I always though a Black Mass involved Satan worship.

This clown was one of team of villains when DC went through its "New Teen Titans is our best selling book: turn Justice League of America into a bad NTT imitation/'Justice League Detroit'" phase.

Ken

Post by Ken »

From Shade's reaction to Giganta, one got the impression that Giganta had "Fascination (Going Commando)" as an Advantage.

squirrelly-sama

Post by squirrelly-sama »

Ken wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:31 pm From Shade's reaction to Giganta, one got the impression that Giganta had "Fascination (Going Commando)" as an Advantage.
Reminds me of that one scene from Dude Where's My Car.