Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Woodclaw

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Warlord! Green Lantern! Vixen! Grodd! Hawkgirl!)

Post by Woodclaw »

General purpose answer to the entire Thanagarian series of builds. In short, I really loved the DCAU interpretation of the Thanagarians.
While I agree that putting Hawkgirl in the main rooster and pushing her for the entire 1st Season or so (while Worfing Superman) was a really stupid move, I think that it payed out in the long run. What impresses me even more is how they figured out a good way to justify the insane abilities of her weapon without going overboard and actually plunging in a rather obscure and little used niche of storytelling. The idea of the Thanagarian as a technologically advanced race that has to square-off against mystical opponents is an incredibly intriguing concept, but absolutely underused. As far as I can remember the only other science vs magic conflict that was decently framed was Captain Marvel and Doctor Sivana in their classic (or Thunderworld) versions.
Ares wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:59 am Amanda Waller: Waller is a great example of the dividing line between an Antagonist and a Villain. Lex Luthor is a villain. The Joker is a villain. Darkseid is a villain. Amanda Waller is an Antagonist. She's not out to take over the world, she exists to fight what she perceives to be a dangerous threat to her country. She's a patriot willing to do every dirty, illegal thing to keep her home safe. She's very much in the same vein as Harold Smith of CURE from The Destroyer novels, willing to break American laws if it means preserving the nation.

It helped that she had, from her perspective, reasons to fear the League, that she was horrified by some of the more insane actions of CADMUS, and very importantly, that she wasn't STUPID. When Waller received new information that made sense, she ACTED on it and adjusted her world view accordingly. By the time of the final season of JLU she had actually chilled out quite a bit and was okay with the League.

It's what makes Waller someone fans enjoy even if she's being antagonistic towards the heroes, while someone like Maria Hill is decried for being such an unlikable, stupid moron.
I think that what separates Waller and Hill is the context.
More often than not the people of the DC Earth seem to worship the superheroes (the Flash Museum, the big tomb of Superman right in the middle of Metropolis), sometimes to an insane degree (the JLU continuity was a pretty big exception), making Waller's cynism stand out like a red flag and forces the reader to think if maybe she's right.
On the other hand the Marvel Universe is generally wary of the heroes, even the like of Captain America had to face the hatred of the common people. As a result having Hill's being wary and mistrustful of them works only as a foil for Nick Fury's general support of superheroes. As a standalone figure Hill becomes utterly forgettable because she's "just another hater".
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Jabroniville

Killer Frost

Post by Jabroniville »

KILLER FROST (Crystal Frost or Louise Lincoln)
Created By:
Gerry Conway & Al Milgrom
First Appearance: Firestorm #3 (June 1978- Crystal), Firestorm #21 (March 1984- Louise)
Role: Ax Crazy Villain, Ice User
Voice Actor: Jennifer Hale
Finest Moment: About to explain why Luthor should let her live... and so she turns around and kills every one of her teammates.
PL 11 (147)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+7)
Deception 3 (+4)
Expertise (Criminal) 5 (+5)
Insight 4 (+4)
Intimidation 9 (+10)
Perception 4 (+5)
Ranged Combat (Ice) 4 (+12)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Daze (Intimidation), Improved Aim, Improved Critical (Icicle Blast), Power Attack, Ranged Attack 5, Startle

Powers:
"Ice Powers"
Immunity (Cold) [1]
"Ice Slides" Flight 4 (30 mph) (Extras: Affects Others) (Flaws: Platform) [8]

"Ice Storm" Affliction 11 (Strength; Hindered, Vulnerable & Dazed 5/Defenseless, Immobile & Stunned 5/Paralyzed & Incapacitated 5) (Extras: Cumulative, Extra Condition, Extra Condition 5, Area- 60ft. Cone) (49) -- [58]
  • AE: "Ice Beam" Affliction 11 (Strength; Hindered, Vulnerable & Dazed 5/Defenseless, Immobile & Stunned 5/Paralyzed & Incapacitated 5) (Extras: Cumulative, Extra Condition, Extra Condition 5, Area- 30ft. Line) (49)
  • AE: "Standard Freeze" Affliction 12 (Strength; Hindered, Vulnerable & Dazed 5/Defenseless, Immobile & Stunned 5/Paralyzed & Incapacitated 5) (Extras: Cumulative, Extra Condition, Extra Condition 5, Ranged) (Inaccurate -1) (48)
  • AE: "Icicle Blast" Blast 10 (Feats: Penetrating 6) (Extras: Multiattack) (36)
  • AE: Environment 5 (500 feet) (Impede Movement, Visibility, Cold 2) (20)
  • AE: "Ice Slick" Affliction 11 (Strength or Agility; Hindered/Prone) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Limited Degree) (11)
  • AE: "Ice Slick" Affliction 11 (Strength or Agility; Hindered/Prone) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Shapeable) (Flaws: Limited Degree) (11)
  • AE: Create Ice 12 (Feats: Innate, Precise) (Extras: Continuous) (38)
  • AE: "Ice Shield" Force Field 10 (Flaws: Immobile) (5)
  • AE: "Make Brittle" Weaken Toughness 10 (Extras: Ranged, Affects Objects Only +0) (20)
Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Ice Area Attacks +11 (+11 Affliction, DC 21)
Standard Freeze +10 (+12 Ranged Affliction, DC 22)
Icicle Blast +12 (+10 Ranged Damage, DC 25)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +3 (+13 Ice Shield), Fortitude +5, Will +5

Complications:
Motivation (Killing)- Killer Frost is in the game simply for the joy of killing others.

Total: Abilities: 38 / Skills: 30--15 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 67 / Defenses: 16 (147)

-Killer Frost was one of the more inventive villain designs of JLU. Most of the other villains were just the comic version drawn in the Timmverse Style, but Killer Frost got a total makeover (akin to how much the Batman: TAS villains changed from the source material), into a vicious-looking punk-girl goth type, who joins up with the villains simply because she "enjoys killing" as Gorilla Grodd put it. Now THAT's a motivation for a villain. She was also one of the most powerful villians, getting a ton of feats on-screen, and even got to survive the revolt against Luthor, simply because she turned on and killed her own teammates to earn favor. As Luthor put it, "Killer Frost... you've got a future!"

-A very powerful PL 11 opponent, she's very cheap on points because, like most of the villains, she lacks the intpersonal Skills & Advantages to make a more well-rounded character. But her powers... they're very devastating. A suffocating Snare effect that covers massive ground, universal Trip & Hamper Movement effects, Ice creations to block pathways and the like... Ice powers are one of the best in the game through sheer versatility. The best way to beat her is something like what the Flash did- spinning around in a giant circle to make her dizzy or suffocate her. With a relatively low Stamina (like most elementalists), those kinds of things are godsends.

About the Performer: Jennifer Hale gives Killer Frost a drier, more sardonic voice than is usual for her women on this show.
squirrelly-sama

Post by squirrelly-sama »

To me I always found Waller and CADMUS hilariously incompetent, hypocritical, and blind.

Like, I get where they're coming from. They want insurance against the league going bad. But rather than doing something reasonable like creating a government funded alternative ala The Avengers or really anything else they decided that they would instead kidnap and torturing children for science, sell out the planet to alien invaders, and generally help out villains actively trying to do the very thing they fear the Justice League might do to the point those villains nearly succeed. Not to mention Galatea showing they even make entirely new problems that their enemy has to save them and the rest of the world from. Honestly at some point I sort of expected them to free and team up with the Justice Lords to destroy the league before they also become the Justice Lords.
Jabroniville

Devil Ray

Post by Jabroniville »

DEVIL RAY (Davis something, presumably)
Created By:
Bob Haney & Nick Cardy
First Appearance: Aquaman #35 (Sept. 1967)
Role: New Villain, Replacement Villain (for Black Manta)
Voice Actor: Michael Beach
Finest Moment: Almost killed Wonder Woman with one of his Poisoned Darts
PL 11 (181)
STRENGTH
3/8 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+7)
Athletics 4 (+11) -- Flaws: Limited to Swimming
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+10)
Deception 4 (+6)
Expertise (Criminal) 6 (+7)
Expertise (Deep Sea Operative) 9 (+10)
Intimidation 6 (+8)
Investigation 3 (+5)
Perception 5 (+7)
Insight 3 (+5)
Stealth 5 (+9)
Technology 4 (+5)
Vehicles 3 (+7)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Evasion, Favored Environment (Underwater), Improved Aim, Power Attack, Precise Attack (Ranged/Cover), Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 8

Powers:
"Devil Ray Suit" (Flaws: Removable) [66]
Enhanced Strength 5 (10)
Protection 6 (6)
Immunity 5 (Drowning, Cold, Pressure, Suffocation 2) (5)
Swimming 9 (250 mph) (9)

"Double-Barrelled Poison Darts"
Weaken Strength 10 (Extras: Ranged, Progressive +2, Multiattack) (50) -- (52)
  • AE: "Lasers" Blast 10 (Feats: Split, Improved Critical) (Extras: Multiattack) (32)
  • AE: Affliction 10 (Fort; Fatigued/Exhausted/Paralyzed) (Extras: Ranged, Progressive +2, Multiattack) (50)
-- (81 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Suit +10 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Weaken +12 (+10 Ranged Weaken, DC 20)
Paralysis +12 (+10 Ranged Affliction, DC 20)
Lasers +12 (+10 Ranged Damage, DC 25)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +4 (+10 Suit), Fortitude +6, Will +5

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)
Power Loss (Electricity)- Devil Ray's suit does not have much protection against electricity.

Total: Abilities: 56 / Skills: 56--28 / Advantages: 15 / Powers: 66 / Defenses: 16 (181)

-Devil Ray was a pretty cool addition to the second season of JLU, completing their homage to the Legion of Doom of "Super Friends" fame, by making him more awesome (as Seanbaby noted in his review of "Super Friends", Black Manta's main power was that he owned a boat). Basically a merc with Luthor-given upgrades, he was turned into a mega-badass and nearly took down Wonder Woman. He didn't get much characterization or anything, but there's that. He was killed in a subsequent episode, when Deadman took over Batman's body, and fired a gun right at him, knocking him into a power box.

-A lethal build, Devil Ray is more dangerous in the water, but plenty tough on land. His Paralysis Darts are extremely dangerous, nearly putting Wonder Woman in the ground, and he's pretty defensible otherwise (unless it's electricity or something).

About the Performer: Michael Beach has mostly done live action, getting known for playing an unfaithful husband in "Waiting to Exhale", one of the bigger "black people movies" of the '90s. He played the same kind of role in "Soul Food" two years later, too! He was on "ER" for two years, and was on "Third Watch" for six, getting regular work. He played both Devil Ray & Mister Terrific on "JLU", only doing a bit of voice work otherwise.
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

Michael Beach also played Manta's father in the Aquaman movie
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Rumor is that they invented Devil Ray due a Aquaman embargo because of an Aquaman tv series WB had in the works at the time, similar to the Bat-embargo caused by The Batman.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Goldar

Re: Rampage

Post by Goldar »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:41 am Image

RAMPAGE (Dr. Karen "Kitty" Falkner)
Created By:
John Byrne
First Appearance: Superman #7 (July 1987)
Role: Powerhouse, Background Villain
Voice Actor: Susan Eisenberg
Finest Moment: uhhhh....
PL 10 (97)
STRENGTH
10 STAMINA 10 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Deception 4 (+4)
Expertise (Criminal) 4 (+4)
Intimidation 8 (+8)

Advantages:
Chokehold, Fast Grab, Improved Hold, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 6

Powers:
Impervious Toughness 7 [7]

Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +10, Fortitude +10, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)
Responsibility (Monstrous Appearance)- Rampage is all yellow and stuff, and couldn't pass for a normal person.

Total: Abilities: 62 / Skills: 16--8 / Advantages: 10 / Powers: 7 / Defenses: 10 (97)

-Rampage is just a filler, background villain in JLU, being a minor villainess created in John Byrne's run on the Super-books. She just kinda hung around with Luthor, betrayed him to Grodd, then got killed by Killer Frost. She wasn't really anything- if they took the "Giant, Grouchy Super-Strong Giantess" gimmick and put it on a hot chick, I'm sure fans would STILL be talking about the character, and she'd be a major villain :). Not judgin'.

About the Performer: Rampage is so minor she's just played by Wonder Woman's VA.
I thought Rampage gave Superman a hard time when she first appeared in his book? I don't know about her cartoon appearances.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

squirrelly-sama wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:48 pm To me I always found Waller and CADMUS hilariously incompetent, hypocritical, and blind.

Like, I get where they're coming from. They want insurance against the league going bad. But rather than doing something reasonable like creating a government funded alternative ala The Avengers or really anything else they decided that they would instead kidnap and torturing children for science, sell out the planet to alien invaders, and generally help out villains actively trying to do the very thing they fear the Justice League might do to the point those villains nearly succeed. Not to mention Galatea showing they even make entirely new problems that their enemy has to save them and the rest of the world from. Honestly at some point I sort of expected them to free and team up with the Justice Lords to destroy the league before they also become the Justice Lords.
As the old saying goes, the road to Hell is paved with good intentions. In the end, CADMUS was even more guilty of what they feared the League would do in a classic case of projection. But if CADMUS had taken only rational, intelligent, morally white options, they wouldn't be the bad guys. It was a classic showcase of how just because someone says they want to protect someone from a threat, it doesn't make them the good guys.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

I've been re-watching a lot of Justice League and JLU due to these builds, and wow, Seasons 1 of JL and the Post-CADMUS/Brainiac+Luthor stuff was not that good, verging on pretty bad at times.

One thing you definitely see post Season 1 of JL is how the show handles Superman differently. The fans apparently complained about Superman being too weak during Season 1, and Bruce Timm is apparently something of a Superman fan, so they ratcheted up his power level quite a bit. He almost never visibly looks hurt in his fights anymore, even against guys who SHOULD be somewhere in his power category like Captain Marvel. Heck, during the fight with Captain Atom, the Captain is using one of Superman's weaknesses against him, but Superman never looks the worse for wear, while Captain Atom looks beat to heck. The only people who manage to visibly injure Superman are guys like Doomsday, Chaos Magic Solomon Grundy and Darkseid, who in theory are all more powerful than him. Basically, Timm overcompensated.

Interestingly, over in Flashpoint we got a rare example of a hard number for what a superhero could lift in the setting, or at least a minimum. We see Galatea working out on a machine that's measuring her lifting strength in pounds, and when she gets it about halfway up, the number is at 1,500,000 pounds, or 750 tons. She eventually gets the thing above her head, so she's easily lifting twice that amount. And then she lifts that weight with one hand. So someone in the Superman ballpark can probably lift around 4 times that base number "on average", so we're looking at around 6,000,000 pounds or 3,000 tons.

Ares
Site Admin

Re: Rampage

Post by Ares »

Goldar wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:24 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:41 am Image

RAMPAGE (Dr. Karen "Kitty" Falkner)
Created By:
John Byrne
First Appearance: Superman #7 (July 1987)
Role: Powerhouse, Background Villain
Voice Actor: Susan Eisenberg
I thought Rampage gave Superman a hard time when she first appeared in his book? I don't know about her cartoon appearances.
She did, though that was at least partially due to the fact that her body uncontrollably absorbed solar energy, including from Superman until he started actively trying to draw it out of her. She was also in something of a mindless state at the time due to some mad scientist experimenting on her against her will to give her those powers.

After that, she developed a harness that regulated the solar energy she absorbed so she could maintain her normal human form, or shift into a less powerful version of her original form and maintain her human intelligence. Basically she was DC's She-Hulk, but with Bruce Banner's brains and scientific inclinations.

Roger Stern used her quite a bit in his Superman run, and then moved her over to his run on Starman, where she helped Will Payton develop his abilities.

Jabroniville

Dr. Fate

Post by Jabroniville »

DOCTOR FATE (Kent Nelson)
Created By:
Gardner Fox & Howard Sherman
First Appearance: More Fun Comics #55 (May 1940)
Role: Magic User, Mysterious Figure
Voice Actor: George Del Hoyo, Oded Fehr
Finest Moment: Saved the Universe from Ichthultu
PL 12 (174)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 5 AWARENESS 5 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Deception 5 (+8)
Expertise (Arcane Lore) 11 (+16)
Insight 4 (+9)
Intimidation 4 (+7)
Investigation 4 (+9)
Perception 5 (+10)
Persuasion 3 (+6)
Ranged Combat (Magic) 2 (+10)
Stealth 2 (+5)

Advantages:
Artificer, Benefit 2 (Lord of Magic, League Member), Equipment 4 (Fate's Tower, Body Armour +1), Fearless, Improved Aim, Improved Defense, Ranged Attack 5, Ritualist, Trance, Ultimate Will Save

Powers:
"The Helm of Nabu"
Magic 12 [30]
"Ankh Bolt" Blast 14 (Feats: Penetrating 8) (36) -- [44]
  • AE: Create 8 (16)
  • AE: Movement 5 (Dimensional Movement 3- Portal +2, Permeate, Temporal Movement) (16)
  • AE: Teleport 10 (Extras: Extended) (30)
  • AE: Move Object 12 (24)
  • AE: Nullify Magic 10 (Extras: Broad) (30)
  • AE: Snare 12 (36)
  • AE: Transform (Objects to Objects) 6 (24)
  • AE: Force Field 11 (Extras: Affects Others, Area- 30ft. Burst) (33)
Flight 5 (60 mph) (Extras: Affects Others) [15]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Ankh Bolt +10 (+14 Ranged Damage, DC 29)
Snare +10 (+12 Ranged Affliction, DC 22)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3 (+4 Armour, +15 Force Field), Fortitude +6, Will +11

Complications:
Power Loss (Magic)- Doctor Fate must be able to concentrate and gesture freely to cast his spells.
Disabled (Cannot Pronounce "Grundy" Properly)- Seriously, I'm not the only one who hears "Grawndy", right?

Total: Abilities: 60 / Skills: 40--20 / Advantages: 18 / Powers: 59 / Defenses: 17 (174)

-Few characters have had as many revisions as the good Doctor here. The problem is, the design is so COOL, and the idea so pure and good at it's core, that DC must always have a Dr. Fate kicking around, being the focal point for the magical heroes in the DCU, or being a major part of a super-team. But with all that awesomeness and success comes a devastating flaw: Magic heroes are way too powerful. I mean, the JSA is powerful ENOUGH, but with a guy who can eyeblink the team across the universe? A guy who has ANY power at his fingertips? It's HELL for a writer to showcase him in any kind of normal situation without solving it in moments, especially in a team book, and add to that the fact that the Kent Nelson character is much less interesting than the whole Dr. Fate concept. And so the concept gets resurrected CONSTANTLY, in spite of constant failure. Kent & Inza were fused at one point, giving us a new Dr. Fate. When that failed, they stuck the Strausses in the role, but they also fell by the wayside after a few years. Then there was that ridiculous Jared Stevens turd, melting the Helm of Nabu into bladed weapons to be EXTREEEEEEEEEME (wow, the '90s sucked for DC, didn't they?). They we had Hector Hall for a while until Geoff Johns, who obviously hated him, took over JSA and wrote him out just as they found his long-lost wife. Then some new Kent Nelson took over and he was gone.

-JLU Fate was pretty cool, at least, doing the classic "Mysterious Magician" act, always striving towards higher purpose and junk instead of just helping guys pound faces in. He also hooked up with Hawkgirl, Aquaman & The Android as a "third party" team that riffed on Marvel's Defenders. It was funny how sometimes he'd be correct, or perhaps a bit snarky ("I'm curious as to how you would dissuade him!") without absolutely being right 100% of the time. And that time the Flash rang his helmet like a gong at super-speed to beat him up was great :).

-Fate is an elite Sorceror, built to set up more Magical benefits (Ritualist, Arcane Lore, Artificer, etc.), the armour's protection, etc., making a very powerful guy. Fate's a power-player, hitting as hard as Superman-class beings when he needs to. Like most Mages, he's a bit hard to build, as he could have shown ANY type of power over the years.

About the Performer: The first Doctor Fate, seen on "Superman: The Animated Series", was George Del Hoyo, a theatrical performer who moved onto small roles (like the "Days of Our Lives" villain Orpheus) before settling into Voice Acting, doing a lot of promo work. On "JLU", Fate was played by Israeli actor Oded Fehr, who played Ardeth in "The Mummy" franchise, Carlos in the "Resident Evil" franchise, and other roles. He has also played Ra's al-Ghul in the "Young Justice" series. His foreign origins are probably why Dr. Fate pronouced "Grundy" so strangely.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Jul 09, 2022 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Solomon Grundy

Post by Jabroniville »

SOLOMON GRUNDY (Cyrus Gold)
Created By:
Alfred Bester & Paul Reinman
Role: The Powerhouse, The Zombie, The Dumbass
Voice Actor: Mark Hammill
Finest Moment: Re-Powered by Chaos Magic and nearly wiped out a ton of Leaguers (including Superman)
PL 12 (168)
STRENGTH
14 STAMINA -- AGILITY -1
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -2 AWARENESS -2 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Intimidation 14 (+14 Size)
Perception 4 (+2)
Ranged Combat (Thrown Objects) 9 (+9)
Stealth 3 (-2 Size)

Advantages:
Chokehold, Close Attack, Daze (Intimidation), Diehard, Fast Grab, Fearless, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Last Stand, Power Attack, Startle, Takedown 2, Withstand Damage

Powers:
Power Lifting 2 (1,600 tons) [2]
Leaping 11 (2 miles) [11]
"Undead Monstrosity" Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
Protection 11 [11]
Regeneration 6 [6]
Growth 4 (Str & Toughness +4, +4 Mass, +2 Intimidation, -2 Dodge/Parry, -4 Stealth) -- (12 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [9]
Reach 1 [1]

"Super-Strength Feats"
"Impact Blast" Damage 12 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst +2) (36) -- [37]
  • AE: "Groundstrike" Affliction 12 (Dodge; Hindered/Prone) (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst +2) (Flaws: Limited Degree, Instant Recovery, Limited to Grounded Targets) Linked to Damage 12 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst +2) (Flaws: Limited to Objects) (30)
Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+14 Damage, DC 29)
Impact Blast +12 Area (+12 Damage, DC 27)
Groundstrike +12 Area (+12 Affliction & Damage, DC 22 & 27)
Initiative -1

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +15, Fortitude --, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Finding Soul)- A zombie, Grundy is desperate to find his lost soul.
Prejudice (Monstrous Appearance)- Grundy is huge and chalk-white, and cannot pass for a human being.

Total: Abilities: 12 / Skills: 30--15 / Advantages: 15 / Powers: 107 / Defenses: 19 (168)

-Solomon Grundy started life as a Green Lantern (Alan Scott version) villain in the '30s, but got modified into a Superman villain (which led to a song by that one ultra-'90s band), and even later appeared in the Long Hallowe'en storyline fighting Batman. As a result, he's been all over the place in power levels and overall demeanor. Golden Age-themed writers later took him back, featuring him frequently in Infinity, Inc. and the modern JSA revival. As a villain, he's pretty much a backdrop, being aggression and strength without much personality unless a specific storyline calls for one (essentially like The Hulk), and he hangs around with the Injustice Society more often than not.

-Grundy was a major feature in the Timmverse after a point, frequently being used by the villains as an enemy of the Leaguers. Noticeably more unstoppable and just as strong as Superman, Grundy was an effective Powerhouse character. His whole storyline eventually revolved around him looking for his soul, which was lost after his original murder in a magic-ridden swamp all those decades ago. He became friendly with Hawkgirl (or "Bird-Nose" as he called her), dying heroically after PUNCHING CTHULHU TO DEATH. Later, then he was resurrected by some nerds trying to cast a spell on their bullies, and infused with dangerous Chaos Magic, it was Bird-Nose who had to put him down- going "Old Yeller" on him with her Magic-Disrupting Mace. He, Aquaman, Hawkgirl & Dr. Fate kind of formed a "Defenders" homage, reflecting The Hulk, Namor, KnightHawk/Valkyrie & Dr. Strange. To complete the gag, Grundy more or less copied the Hulk directly, showing "Grundy CRUSH!" and being a simple-minded, hilarious buffoon.

-For raw power, Grundy's one of the best, and features some decent accuracy (he didn't have much trouble hitting most characters), making him a pretty standard Tank, but at VERY high damage output. He's as strong as Superman, and acts as a PL 11.5 fighter- when empowered by Chaos Magic post-resurrection, he's even TOUGHER, likely hitting PL 14 solely from boosted Strength, alongside better Toughness & Regeneration (I'd put ST & Toughness at 16-17 there). In the DCU proper, he could have virtually any Power Level (from PL 8 to PL 15), but he was more normalized in JLU. When he was powered-up with Chaos Energy after his resurrection (some D&D nerds cast a faulty spell), he was even more powerful, easily handling Superman, Green Lantern and others. Only Hawkgirl's "All-Destroying Mace of Doom" could hurt him.

About the Performer: Grundy is another vocal appearance by Mark Hammill, who is particularly unrecognizable here.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Vixen! Grodd! Hawkgirl! Dr. Fate! Solomon Grundy!)

Post by Ares »

To me, Dr. Fate's helmet just doesn't look right without the fin.

catsi563

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Vixen! Grodd! Hawkgirl! Dr. Fate! Solomon Grundy!)

Post by catsi563 »

Actually as I understand it Mark Hamill did the lines for Grundy
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Ares wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:10 pm I've been re-watching a lot of Justice League and JLU due to these builds, and wow, Seasons 1 of JL and the Post-CADMUS/Brainiac+Luthor stuff was not that good, verging on pretty bad at times.

One thing you definitely see post Season 1 of JL is how the show handles Superman differently. The fans apparently complained about Superman being too weak during Season 1, and Bruce Timm is apparently something of a Superman fan, so they ratcheted up his power level quite a bit. He almost never visibly looks hurt in his fights anymore, even against guys who SHOULD be somewhere in his power category like Captain Marvel. Heck, during the fight with Captain Atom, the Captain is using one of Superman's weaknesses against him, but Superman never looks the worse for wear, while Captain Atom looks beat to heck. The only people who manage to visibly injure Superman are guys like Doomsday, Chaos Magic Solomon Grundy and Darkseid, who in theory are all more powerful than him. Basically, Timm overcompensated.
Supes was selling his ass off against Captain Atom & Captain Marvel, though he lacked "battle scars" until the "SHAZAM!" bolts started raining down on him. The latter fight in particular read as "even" to me until the end, and even then, Superman just got lucky when his reversal worked better than he'd intended.