Her Majesty's other secret service OOC. 2E MnM

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Poodle

Her Majesty's other secret service OOC. 2E MnM

Post by Poodle »

The league of extraordinary gentlemen meets Supernatural in a PL 6 game set in a magical Steampunk. Universe.

It is a time of wonders. New technology meets old magics. .The races of legend are alive and well. Zeppelins fill the sky and her Royal Majesty's steam- powered navy dominates the oceans of the world.The Royal College of Thaumaturgy produces some of the most noteworthy wizards the world has ever seen. There are rumours that some enterprising individuals have managed to merge technology and magic and a young mathematician is trying to make a huge computational device.

All is not well on the Emerald Isle however. Not all of the old races are content with the ascendancy of man. Not all magics are benign. There are still things that go bump in the night.

Your mission is to bump back.

Welcome to HRM's Department of Supernatural Affairs.
Last edited by Poodle on Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:15 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world. -Albert Einstein.
Spectrum

Re: 2e steam/magic/punk low pl game recruiting

Post by Spectrum »

I could be interested but would want to hear more about what you have planned.

And... would need /lots/ of hand holding.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

So five questions about the setting:
1. What is the relationship between magic and technology?
2. What is required in order to use magic?
3. What is the current state of steam?
4. What is the current state of computing?
5. What are the important races for the setting?

Thanks!
Poodle

Post by Poodle »

Geez.. No pressure.
Magic is present but distrusted. There are practicioners licensed by the crown.
Steam is the gem of the industrial age and there are rumours that the military are using amalgams of steam and magic tech. Obviously the church is opposed to magic and non-human races.
Computing is non-existent. The babbich machine is anothrr persistent rumor.
There are the races of fairytale, generally they avoid humans and human areas like the plague. Dwarves do the bulk of mining and goblins do alot of the very crappy jobs.
Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world. -Albert Einstein.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Is there alchemy? I was thinking of a very smart goblin alchemist/inventor.
"Something pithy this way comes."
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Hmmm, going to have to maybe rethink where I was going with my character concept. I was thinking of some kind of punch card theme.
Poodle

Post by Poodle »

Yes, there is Alchemy. Goblin inventor/Alchemist sounds perfect although you will have to come up with a good back story as to why a goblin ,largely despised as the lowest of the low and barred from most polite society, managed to receive enough education to be an inventor. As for computers, there is nothing in the world yet that would qualify as a computer that you know of and if there was it would be the size of a house.
nowhereman2

Post by nowhereman2 »

I play 3e. What are the big differences? I am interested, but I want to make a compatible character.
Fox in the Hole: GM
A Call to Adventure: Arcanum
Changeling - The Dreaming: Socket
Her Majesty's other secret service: Elizabeth Carolynn Erin Renwald
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

nowhereman2 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:01 am I play 3e. What are the big differences? I am interested, but I want to make a compatible character.
https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions ... asterminds

And Poodle, just so that I can add this to the recruiting thread, do you have a title in mind, or do you want me to list it as "Untitled Steam/Magic/Punk Game"?
Poodle

Re: Her Majestiy's other secret service. 2e Steampunk.

Post by Poodle »

It has got a new title and a slightly more in-depth blurb.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Working on a build but it seems to work better if I could trade a PL for PP points. Less strong but more versatile. Would that be okay?
"Something pithy this way comes."
Poodle

Post by Poodle »

Pl 5 +15pp work for you? What is your concept? Feel free to PM me if there are aspects you would rather keep secret for now.
Poodle

Post by Poodle »

There are no psionics in the game. Magic, technology, training and race are going to be the most common descriptors (largely because I find psionics a pain in the ass and there is no need for psionics in this setting).
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

Steampunk is always fun. I'll have to see if I can dig out my 2e books.

How exotic and/or D&D-esque can we get with races? Orcs (or half-orcs)? Elves? Winged elves? Warforged?

What year (give or take)? Usual steampunk 1880-ish? (In terms of history events and basic non-stema tech)

I have a bunch of ideas I can convert from old Deadlands and Radiance d20 (and so on). Lemme fiddle a bit...
Poodle

Post by Poodle »

Late 1800's. Races... No to warforged, lycans, demons or vampires. Orcs are just big bad-tempered goblins (but never say that to an orc). They are rare in England but slightly more common in Eastern Europe. There is no such thing as a half-orc.
Remember that humans can barely tolerate different coloured humans and women still aren't allowed to vote in most parts of the UK. Playing something too outlandish will normally get you hunted down by the church and killed.
Goblins are tolerated because they will do jobs that even negroes and chinamen won't do. True dwarves are tolerated because they look almost human and tend to have money.
If you are too Brother's Grimm you will struggle to fit into English society.