On the road (D&d 5E Recruiting 1)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
EpicEclipse

Re: On the road (D&d 5E interest)

Post by EpicEclipse »

We're still using standard array, not rolling attributes.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

rolling Hit Points, not attributes.
"Something pithy this way comes."
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Your attributes do not look like the standard array. You've started with 2 two 8s (one which was bumped to a 9 by racial) and no 15.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

it's point buy, a common 5E way of doing attributes.
There are many online calculators like this.
Or the whole list is here. I started with 14 14 14 13 8 9 .

Was point buy not allowed? I can modify things.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

I said in the opening post that it was going to be standard array.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Hitpoints past level 1: http://orokos.com/roll/751521]14

Wow, completely average huh? Might just keep with the trend in the future. Epic, I've never started a 5e game past level one, how does wealth work at the later levels when you're starting a new character?
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
StarGuard

Post by StarGuard »

I'd like to present a variation on a character I developed as a backup for our current tabletop game. He was a multi-class Monk with an initial level of Rogue. Our current Rogue only plays because her husbands wants to play so character/story depth has been limited. This variation is a simpler Monk level 3.

Born into a mountain society, Kaine's father was a City Watchman on the take. His mother was an Kor adventurer. She was killed a few years after his birth. He grew up with the children of merchants, thieves and other City Watchmen. Thanks to the Guild's influence, when he came of age, he took the position of Investigator. While retrieving a "stolen" item for the Guild from a rival city, his team was arrested (set-up by a rival at home). Over time the rest of his companion's died while fighting in the Arena. An elderly Dragonborn Monk took Kaine under his wing and taught him how to fight and survive in the Arena. After five years, he fought his way to freedom and now seeks Justice.

Kaine
Monk (Way of the Open Hand)

Male Half-Kor Monk 3
Medium humanoid, neutral good
Height: 6'; Weight: 190lb.; Eyes: Blue; Hair: White ponytail; Skin: Pale
—————
Armor Class 16
Hit Points 21 (1d8+1) + (4+1+1) + (4+1+1)
Speed 30/40 ft., climb 30 ft.
—————
Martial Arts (DC13)
Open Hand Technique: +5, 1d4+3 bludgeoning
Quarterstaff (Versatile)
Main hand: +5, 1d6+3 bludgeoning
Both hands: +5, 1d8+3 bludgeoning
—————
STR 10 (+0), DEX 16 (+3), CON 13 (+1), INT 8 (-1), WIS 16 (+3), CHA 12 (+1)
—————
Saving Throws: Str +2, Dex +5, Con +1, Int -1, Wis, +3, Cha +1
—————
Skills: Acrobatics +5, Animal Handling +3, Arcana -1, Athletics +2, Deception +1, History -1, Insight +5, Intimidation +1, Investigation +1, Medicine +3, Nature -1, Perception +5, Performance +1, Persuasion +1, Religion +-1, Sleight of Hand +3, Stealth +5, Survival +3
—————
Initiative: +3
Senses: Passive Perception 15
—————
Languages: Common, Draconic, Kor, Thieves' Cant
—————
Special Abilities
Racial: Brave, Climbing (30 ft.), Kor Climbing, Lucky
Background: Watchers Eye (Investigator)
Class: Deflect Missile (1d10+6), Flurry of Blows, Martial Arts (1d4), Open Hand Technique (DC 13 Dex/Str), Patient Defense, Step of the Wind, Unarmored Defense, Unarmored Movement
—————
Tracked Resources: Ki (3/short rest)
—————
Other Proficiencies:
Tools: Cook's utensils (+2)
Weapons: Simple weapons; Shortswords
—————
Equipment: Backpack, bedroll, cooking utensils, horn, manacles, mess kit, pouch, rations, rope (hemp), tinderbox, torch, waterskin
Riding Horse: Blanket, bridle, saddle, saddlebags
Wealth: 310 gp - 5 sp
—————
Background: Investigator
Personality Trait: Judge - People's words mean less to me than their actions.
Personality Trait: Trouble - I'm always ready to lend a hand to those in trouble.
Ideal: Greater Good - My responsibility in life is to defend the lives of others, even if that means losing my own. (Good)
Bond: Fight - There are those that cannot defend themselves; for them I fight.
Flaw: Drink - When in the clutches of a city I am always drawn towards the places that support my vices. Be it gambling, drinking or more sinful activities.
Last edited by StarGuard on Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:02 pm, edited 16 times in total.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Aside from some potential equipment updates, I've updated Exile to level three.
------------
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Updated Salazar to 15 14 13 12 10 8 base.
McGuffin

Post by McGuffin »

Here's Kriv, I'm happy to hear feedback from the DM or fellow players, especially if I got something wrong.

Kriv was born far enough down the line of succession of his clan that, even though he was of noble birth, the head of the family didn’t much bother with what he did, as long as he made the family name proud, or at least didn’t diminish it. When he took the Oath of Devotion in Bahamut’s name, it was thought to be an admirable choice and he got the blessing of the head of the family as he left on the path of an adventurer.

Personality traits: Kriv is a jovial fellow, quick to laugh and to invite others to join in the merriment. When he encounters those in need, he offers his help freely.

Ideals: He believes that those with power have responsibility to use it to help others.

Bonds: He is quick to make fast friends, especially on the road as travel with companions is often far more pleasurable. This has led to him making many lasting friendships on the way.

Flaws: He offers mercy, even to those who might not deserve it. But his justice is swift when he finds those that would abuse the compassion offered to them.

Kriv of Clan Myastan
Paladin (Oath of Devotion)

Male Dragonborn Paladin 3
Medium humanoid, lawful good
Height: 6'; Weight: 250lb.; Eyes: gold; Hair: -; Skin: golden scales
Background: noble
—————
Armor Class 18
Hit Points 25 (10+1+6+1+6+1)
Speed 30 ft.
—————
STR 16 (+3), DEX 8 (-1), CON 13 (+1), INT 12 (+1), WIS 10 (+0), CHA 16 (+3)
—————
Saving Throws: Str +3, Dex -1, Con +1, Int +0, Wis +1, Cha +5
—————
Skills: Acrobatics -1, Animal Handling +0, Arcana +1, Athletics +5, Deception +3, History +3, Insight +0, Intimidation +3, Investigation +1, Medicine +0, Nature +1, Perception +0, Performance +3, Persuasion +5, Religion +3, Sleight of Hand -1, Stealth -1, Survival +0
—————
Initiative: -1
Senses: Passive Perception 11
—————
Languages: Common, Draconic, Celestial
—————
Special Abilities: Dragonic ancestry (Gold dc 11, 2d6 damage), Divine Sense (4/Long Rest), Lay on Hands, Fighting Style (Protection), Spellcasting (DC 13, atk mod +5), Divine Smite (2d8), Divine Health, Sacred Oath (Devotion), Sacred Weapon (+3), Turn the Unholy
—————
Tracked Resources: Lay on Hands (15/long rest)
—————
Other Proficiencies:
Armor: All armor, Shields
Tools: One type of gaming set (+2)
Weapons: Simple weapons; Martial Weapons
—————
Equipment:
A longsword and a shield, five javelins, an explorer’s pack, chain mail and a holy symbol, a set of fine clothes, a signet ring, a scroll of pedigree and a purse containing 315 gp
—————
Spell List (2 x Oath spells, 3 x 1st lvl spells):
Protection from evil and good, Sanctuary
Bless, Divine favor, Heroism
Last edited by McGuffin on Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:51 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Otso Karell/Ursa, student at the New Vindicators Academy Europe.
Kriv of Clan Myastan, Dragonborn Noble Paladin in On the Road.
EpicEclipse

Re: On the road (D&d 5E Recruiting 4)

Post by EpicEclipse »

I've updated the first post, so hopefully, things are more clear and answer some of the questions that have been asked.

Also, could I get everyone who has submitted so far, and those who have yet to when they do, make sure you specify things clearly, like your character's chosen Background. I don't think anyone so far has actually done so.
StarGuard

Post by StarGuard »

Adjustment made for Kaine. I seemed to have buried his background in the narrative. I hope I made it clearer after the edit. Basically he was a dirty cop who got in too deep in "family" business and is on a redemption path.

edit: took me a moment to figure what you were wanting with the hit points, but I see what you're doing there. Interesting :)
Last edited by StarGuard on Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Sorry about that, specified that he's using the Outlander background. Using the rules presented, I changed out the instrument proficiency with the Herbalist's Kit.
------------
Bill from Accounting

Post by Bill from Accounting »

Character Name: Heart
Class & Level: Cleric 3 (Life Domain)
Race: Warforged (Envoy)
Background: Hermit
Alignment: Neutral Good
Experience Points: 900

Armor Class: 20 (integrated protection, shield)
Hit Points: 24
Hit Dice: 3d8
Speed: 30 ft.

Abilities
Strength: 14 (+2) (+1 Race)
Dexterity: 8 (-1)
Constitution: 15 (+2) (+1 Race)
Intelligence: 12 (+1)
Wisdom: 16 (+3) (+1 Race)
Charisma: 10 (0)

Proficiencies: Wisdom saving throws (+5), Charisma saving throws (+2), History (+3), Insight (+5), Medicine (+5), Perception (+5), Religion (+3), all armor, shields, simple weapons, cook's utensils, herbalism kit
Languages: Common, Elvish, Halfling
Senses: Passive Perception 15
Resistances: Poison
Immunities: Disease

Warforged / Background Features

Discovery: The quiet seclusion of your extended hermitage gave you access to a unique and powerful discovery. The exact nature of this revelation depends on the nature of your seclusion. It might be a great truth about the cosmos, the deities, the powerful beings of the outer planes, or the forces of nature. It could be a site that no one else has ever seen. You might have uncovered a fact that has long been forgotten, or unearthed some relic of the past that could rewrite history. It might be information that would be damaging to the people who or consigned you to exile, and hence the reason for your return to society.

Warforged Resilience: You were created to have remarkable fortitude, represented by the following benefits:

• You have advantage on saving throws against being poisoned, and you have resistance to poison damage.
• You are immune to disease.
• You don't need to eat, drink, or breathe.
• You don't need to sleep and don't suffer the effects of exhaustion due to lack of rest, and magic can't put you to sleep.

Sentry’s Rest: When you take a long rest, you must spend at least six hours of it in an inactive, motionless state, rather than sleeping. In this state, you appear inert, but it doesn't render you unconscious, and you can see and hear as normal.

Integrated Protection: Your body has built-in protective layers, which determine your Armor Class. You gain no benefit from wearing armor, but if you are using a shield, you apply its bonus as normal. You can alter your body to enter different defensive modes; each time you finish a long rest, choose one mode to adopt.
Heavy plating mode: Armor Class = 16 + proficiency bonus; disadvantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks

Integrated Tool: The herbalism kit is integrated into your body, and you double your proficiency bonus for any ability checks you make with it. You must have your hands free to use this integrated tool.

Cleric Features

Spellcasting: You prepare the list of cleric spells that are available for you to cast, choosing from the cleric spell list. When you do so, choose 6 cleric spells. The spells must be of a level for which you have spell slots. Casting the spell doesn't remove it from your list of prepared spells. You can change your list of prepared spells when you finish a long rest. Preparing a new list of cleric spells requires time spent in prayer and meditation: at least 1 minute per spell level for each spell on your list.

Wisdom is your spellcasting ability for your cleric spells. The power of your spells comes from your devotion to your deity. You use your Wisdom whenever a cleric spell refers to your spellcasting ability. In addition, you use your Wisdom modifier when setting the saving throw DC for a cleric spell you cast and when making an attack roll with one. You can cast a cleric spell as a ritual if that spell has the ritual tag and you have the spell prepared. You can use a holy symbol as a spellcasting focus for your cleric spells.

Spell save DC: 13
Spell attack modifier: +5

Spells Prepared:
Cantrips: Guidance, Sacred Flame, Spare the Dying
1st level (4 slots): Bless*, Cure Wounds*, Detect Magic, Guiding Bolt, Healing Word, Sanctuary
2nd level (2 slots): Lesser Restoration*, Spiritual Weapon*, Aid, Prayer of Healing

*Life Domain Spells

Disciple of Life: Your healing spells are more effective. Whenever you use a spell of 1st level or higher to restore hit points to a creature, the creature regains additional hit points equal to 2 + the spell's level.

Channel Divinity (1; Recharges after a Short or Long Rest): You have the ability to channel divine energy directly from your deity, using that energy to fuel magical effects. You start with two such effects: Turn Undead and Preserve Life. Some Channel Divinity effects require saving throws. When you use such an effect from this class, the DC equals your cleric spell save DC.

• Turn Undead: As an action, you present your holy symbol and speak a prayer censuring the undead. Each undead that can see or hear you within 30 feet of you must make a Wisdom saving throw. If the creature fails its saving throw, it is turned for 1 minute or until it takes any damage. A turned creature must spend its turns trying to move as far away from you as it can, and it can't willingly move to a space within 30 feet of you. It also can't take reactions. For its action, it can use only the Dash action or try to escape from an effect that prevents it from moving. If there's nowhere to move, the creature can use the Dodge action.

• Preserve Life: As an action, you present your holy symbol and evoke healing energy that can restore 15 hit points. Choose any creatures within 30 feet of you, and divide those hit points among them. This feature can restore a creature to no more than half of its hit point maximum. You can't use this feature on an undead or a construct.

Equipment: Mace, chain mail, handaxe, explorer’s pack, shield, holy symbol, scroll case stuffed full of note from your studies or prayers, winter blanket, set of common clothes, herbalism kit, 300 gp

Attacks
Mace: Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d6 + 2 bludgeoning damage.

Handaxe: Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft. or range 20/60 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d6 + 2 slashing damage.
In a far-off land, the Five Nations were engaged in a brutal civil war that would last a century and be optimistically referred to as the Last War. During this time, an elf by the name of Meghana Silentread trained with the halflings of House Jorasco. House Jorasco dominated the medical trade with its Mark of Healing, an arcane sigil that was passed down through the House’s bloodline. Most large communities had a Jorasco healing house, and even smaller communities often had a lone Jorasco healer.

The Healer’s Guild provided a vital service to the nations, and the Last War ensured that there was great need for healers. If it could save a life, it was probably tied to Jorasco… and it would come with a cost. House Jorasco demanded payment before it rendered any service. Many, including Meghana, criticized the House’s practices, and she would leave the school to serve as a cleric of the Sovereign Host.

Meghana maintained a charitable clinic in a remote village. There, the elf woman met a human, Markas Dryadson, and despite his roguish nature, the two fell in love. Meghana gave birth to a son, Fruros, and the family lived happily, far away from the dangers of the war. The village’s peace would be shattered, however, when a biological weapon was unleashed upon it to test the disease’s effectiveness. The magical disease was designed based on the powers of the long dead Lady of the Plague. It spread quickly, and death was all but assured for the infected.

Markas implored Meghana for them to take their son and flee the village before they succumbed to the illness, but she refused, insisting that she was the only hope for the people there. Overnight, Markas took Fruros and left. Meghana stayed, spending every night and day in study and prayer, attempting to develop a cure for the disease. Despite her best precautions, she fell ill as well, and passed away. The goddess of hearth and home, Boldrei, decided that it was not yet her time, however. She resurrected Meghana, at a cost. Seeing her memories of her family as a source of great pain, the goddess discarded most of the memories of the elf’s old life and Meghana was recreated in a warforged body named Heart. Her sole purpose was to be healing the sick.

Now in a form that was immune to disease, Heart continued her efforts to save the few who remained in the village with single-minded purpose. She tended to the ill over the course of a year, but ultimately, her work was all for naught. The last victim died with Heart by his bedside. Her purpose failed, Heart returned to her home and slipped into a inert state, unaware to everything except for her own thoughts. She would awaken many years later, her body moved to a strange new land by treasure hunters, and bearing two missions from her god: provide healing to those in need, and find a half-elf named Fruros.

Personality Traits: Heart is utterly serene, even in the face of disaster. Her most notable trait is her compassion.

Ideals: Greater Good. Heart's gifts are meant to be shared with all, not used for her own benefit.

Bonds: She entered isolation by the will of the gods and must someday confront her past.

Flaws: Heart often say the things she is thinking aloud, including her analysis of the potential threat posed by every creature the group meets.
Last edited by Bill from Accounting on Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:54 am, edited 10 times in total.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Modified Salazar. Gave him the Criminal background (still a smuggler) so someone knows how to use Thieves' Tools.

Who of the other characters might have needed to be smuggled through or out of an area? Maybe Exile?

I could see that being a fun initial pairing with Salazar speaking enough for the both of them.