Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
FuzzyBoots

Re: Jab's Builds! (Sally Floyd! Spider-Women! Sublime! Skreet!)

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Arkrite wrote:Read that for awhile.
Gave up on it when it started portraying everybody from the East of Canada as bastions of culture, friendship, and understanding... then promptly labeled my home province with a violent racist bigot as the only character and "official hero" of the area.
*eyeroll*

Yup, Canada has some interesting views of different sections of our country.
I'll admit that I stopped a few years ago. I just got behind and wasn't interested enough to catch up.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

That is truly ridiculous! We all know that everyone in Canada is a violent, racist bigot. Not just the people in one province. :lol:
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Wow, and here I was thinking that all of Canada was a paragon of progressive thinking, letting people be who they wanted to be and all the medical care in the world regardless of those choices, and no crime whatsoever except for those that deserve it!
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

As Bret Hart intended
Jabroniville

Shalla-Bal

Post by Jabroniville »

Like half of her online images feature her wearing stuff like that Leia get-up.

SHALLA-BAL:
Created By:[/b] Stan Lee & John Buscema
First Appearance: Silver Surfer #1 (Aug. 1968)
Role: Hero's Girlfriend
Group Affiliations: Zenn-La
PL 2 (46), PL 4 (46) Defenses
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 1 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 0 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Deception 1 (+4)
Expertise (Politics) 4 (+7)
Persuasion 3 (+6)

Advantages:
Benefit 5 (Ruler of Zenn-La), Ranged Attack 5

Powers:
"Zenn-Lavian Physiology"
Immunity 1 (Aging) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +0 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +2 (DC 12), Parry +2 (DC 12), Toughness +1, Fortitude +4, Will +4

Complications:
Relationship (Norrin Radd)- Shalla-Bal & Norrin were betrothed, were split apart, then reunited... but ultimately left apart because he had other girlfriends.
Responsibility (Zenn-La)

Total: Abilities: 24 / Skills: 8--4 / Advantages: 10 / Powers: 1 / Defenses: 7 (46)

-Shalla-Bal is mainly known for being the Silver Surfer's girlfriend back on Zenn-La, his homeworld. Honestly, as a kid in the '90s, I had no idea this character was even supposed to be ALIVE. She is actually the Empress of Zenn-La, and watches Norrin Radd, her lover, leave their homeworld and serve Galactus in order to save the planet. We do not discover the Surfer's origin until 1968 (years after his debut, in which he was basically a soulless automoton that later learns the true value of humanity- Stan Lee would modify him into a passionate Space Philosopher)- this also introduces Shalla-Bal to the Marvel U as a recurring character, as Mephisto uses her in his attempt to steal the Surfer's noble soul.

-Galactus would destroy Zenn-La for the Surfer's betrayal, but out of some loyalty to his former charge, he allowed them to evacuate the planet first. The Surfer bestowed some of the Power Cosmic onto her, allowing her to re-energize the planet. Sadly, she and the Surfer ended their relationship, owing to her responsibilities with the Zenn-Lavians. She was dead for a bit (gotta give Surfer more angst!), but Norrin found her soul in Mephisto's realm- generally speaking, she seems to only be used as the classic "Damsel In Distress", with her never really mattering as a CHARACTER so much as she matters to the SURFER. Most-recently, she showed up on the Slott/Allred Silver Surfer book, leading some Zenn-Lavians in a takeover of Earth to imprint Zenn-Lavian culture over top of the planet- the Surfer is able to reverse this... but only by erasing ZENN-LAVIAN culture, thus ruining what was left of the people he'd once sacrificed his freedom for.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jabroniville

Shadow King

Post by Jabroniville »

THE SHADOW KING (Amahl Farouk)
Created By:
Chris Claremont & John Byrne
First Appearance: The Uncanny X-Men #117 (Jan. 1979)
Role: Mind-Possesser, Mirror Image Villain (to Professor X)
PL 14 (321)
STRENGTH
-- STAMINA -- AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 3 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 5 AWARENESS 5 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Deception 8 (+12)
Expertise (History) 7 (+12)
Expertise (Criminal) 7 (+12)
Insight 5 (+10)
Intimidation 8 (+12)
Perception 7 (+12)

Advantages:
None

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Omega-Level Telepathy"
"Mind Shield" Enhanced Will Check 4 (Flaws: Limited to Mental Attacks) [2]
"Mental Detection" Senses 7 (Mental Awareness- Ranged, Radius, Acute, Detect Mutants- Ranged & Radius) [7]

"Floating Astral Entity"
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
Insubstantial 4 (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Continuous) (Flaws: Permanent) [21]
Invisibility (All Visual Senses) 4 (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Continuous) (Flaws: Permanent) [9]
"Lives On In The Evil Thoughts Of Men" Immortality 1 [2]
Protection 3 [3]

"Possession" Mind Control 13 (Feats: Subtle 2) (Extras: Continuous +3) (93) -- [94]
  • AE: "Possess Large Groups" Mind Control 9 (Feats: Subtle 2) (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst +2, Selective, Continuous +3) (92)
"Telepathy" Mind-Reading 14 (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Effortless, Cumulative, Sensory Link) Linked to Mental Communication 4 (Feats: Subtle) (Extras: Area, Selective) (96) -- [106]
  • Dynamic AE: "Mental Stun" Affliction 14 (Will; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Perception Range +2, Cumulative) (57)
  • Dynamic AE: "Mental Illusions" Illusion (All Senses) 10 (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Selective) (Flaws: Resisted by Will) (50)
  • Dynamic AE: "Astral Form" Remote Sensing 15 (Visuals & Hearing) (Feats: Dynamic, Dimensional) (Flaws: Physical Body is Defenseless) (32)
  • Dynamic AE: "Focused Mental Blast" Damage 14 (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Perception Range +2, Will Save) (57)
  • AE: "Brainwashing" Affliction 14 (Will; Dazed/Compelled/Transformed Mentally) (Extras: Perception Range +2, Cumulative, Progressive +2) (84)
  • AE: "Area Mental Blast" Damage 11 (Extras: Area- 120ft. Burst +3, Selective, Will Save) (66)
Offense:
Unarmed +3 (-- Damage, DC --)
Mind-Reading +14 Perception (DC 24)
Mind Attacks +10-14 Perception (+10-14 Perception-Ranged Affliction, DC 20-24)
Mental Blast +10-14 Perception (+10-14 Perception-Ranged Damage, DC 25-29)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +3 (DC 13), Toughness +3, Fortitude --, Will +12 (+16 vs. Will Effects)

Complications:
Motivation (Gluttony & Power)- Many of The Shadow King's possessed victims end up morbidly obese as a result of the creature's malevolent desire for everything around it.
Vulnerable (Certain Magic Weapons)- The Shadow King's intangibility may be ineffective against certain types of magical assault.
Enemy (Charles Xavier, Elisabeth Braddock)- Xavier once killed Farouk upon discovering the danger he presented, and Psylocke has become a recurring modern-day nemesis.

Total: Abilities: 14 / Skills: 42--21 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 274 / Defenses: 12 (321)

-The Shadow King is a recurring foe under Chris Claremont (the only writer to really get full use out of him)- a massively-powerful, malevolent entity devoted to possessing powerful mutants and using them to master control over the underworld to sate his various vices. His physical form (later retconned into being just another host) was killed by Charles Xavier in his younger travels- Claremont introduced him as an Egyptian crimeboss who Xavier encounters, and immediately chooses to fight. Sensing the raw evil and power in Amal Farouk, Xavier battles him in silent, psychic combat (taking place on the Astral Plane, something we almost NEVER see in comics anymore), while they sit unmoving in their chairs: Xavier walks away, while Farouk slumps forward, dead. Xavier later says that this is the incident that convinced him to form the X-Men- the realization that evil Mutants exist throughout the world, and must be stopped, lest they further skew mankind's perceptions.

-Farouk reveals himself in his debut as a psionic entity, and eventually confronts Xavier's charges, the New Mutants, seemingly killing Karma. However, it turns out that Farouk had merely possessed her, and used her body to live out the high life once again- turning her into a grotesquely-obese slug of a person. He was seemingly destroyed by Karma once the Mutants figured things out and rescued her- he would disappear for a few years, returning to affect a few other charactesr, then the ones left on Muir Island (Moira MacTaggert, Siryn, Legion, Polaris in her super-strong form). Eventually he is defeated once more.

-Farouk would be missing for most of the Post-Claremont Era, like a lot of the elite X-Villains of the day (the Hellfire Club also sat on the shelf in favor of the Upstarts, Apocalypse's various minions, and more)- it would actually take Claremont's RETURN to bring Farouk back to bear- he would actually become a recurring foe of Psylocke, owing to her status as a Claremont Fave. It would turn out that what we call "The Shadow King" is actually a psionic entity that's existed for millennia, and had merely used Farouk's body as a host during some shenanigans in World War II (which naturally involved time-traveling X-Men). Later, Claremont would use him in New Excalibur, and then in a few other books, appearing a handful more times. He's probably shown up more in the last ten years than he had in the prior twenty-five.

-I kinda like the concept of the Shadow King, though: No great plan (like Apocalypse) or "you could agree with him sometimes" mentality (Magneto). He's just one giant, bloated evil f*ck who needs to be put down, because his whole life is about eating, getting into his vices, and destroying others. He's left so many characters emotionally and physically destroyed (Karma, Mystique, Siryn, Psylocke) that there's little question that he's one of the most vile threats ever faced by the team. It's kind of too bad only Claremont likes using him, but... well, like a handful of other villains, there's typically only One Shadow King Story: he possesses one hero, tries to destroy their life, then eventually gets sealed/killed/expelled.

-It goes without saying that an Insubstantial, Invisible entity with HUGE psionic might is REALLY REALLY DANGEROUS in any setting. You can barely hurt him except with psionics, and he tends to possess your FRIENDS so you can't just pound away at his possessed forms. He can take over people with a +13 Perception Range effect, go into the Astral Plane (some issues even portray this like Variable Power- Limited to Within the Astral Plane like it's a Dimensional Travel thing, but allow ANY Psionic to do it, which GMs could almost treat as a fiat giving both parties Variable powers), hit powerful Mental Blasts & Stuns, etc. His Brainwashing power is particularly horrific, as the Muir Island X-Men know.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Batgirl III wrote:That is truly ridiculous! We all know that everyone in Canada is a violent, racist bigot. Not just the people in one province. :lol:
Exactly!
Nice to see somebody's paying attention ;~)
Arkrite

Re: Jab's Builds! (Spider-Women! Sublime! Skreet! Shadow King!)

Post by Arkrite »

Hrmm... Oh good god what happened to Psylock's face?!

I have to ask because while I'd assume it's just some kind of "psychic power battle" sometimes the artists they hire are just that bad...
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

Arkrite wrote:Hrmm... Oh good god what happened to Psylock's face?!...
What do you mean? She looks like herself. She just had a late night! :lol:
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Arkrite wrote:Hrmm... Oh good god what happened to Psylock's face?!

I have to ask because while I'd assume it's just some kind of "psychic power battle" sometimes the artists they hire are just that bad...
Psionic what-have-you stuff, plus apparently he's got powers over the "physical world" in that issue, judging by his dialogue. It was the clearest picture of his "Psychic Form" I could find :).
Jabroniville

The Santerians

Post by Jabroniville »

THE SANTERIANS:
-This group is a band of street toughs created by Joe Quesada (then still the Editor-In-Chief of Marvel Comics) for a Daredevil comic. They were created by a kid named Nestor as a band of "Street Angels" out to deal with neighborhood crime- he ends up seeing his own father gunned down before his eyes, by cruel gangsters who wanted to force the man to put down his own son. Desperate for revenge, he was convinced by some murderous voodoo priests to sacrifice chickens and drink their blood in a mystical ritual to gain superpowers. Apparently they were part of an ancient Santerian religion that blended Catholicism with African Yoruba beliefs.

-Years later, Nester becomes "Nero"- a mogul in the hip-hop industry, also acting in secret as a vigilante. They all developed powers and codenames based on religious beliefs. The group had some differences with DD, mainly over his refusal to help find a serial killer who was operating outside the bounds of Hell's Kitchen (I have no idea why DD would not just pass those boundaries to help). They fought once, but the group left impressed with Daredevil's skills, only for him to later track Nestor down based off of his scent and taunt him. The group hasn't appeared since- it seems Quesada doesn't force his own creations on others :).

SANTERIAN TEMPLATE
Created By:
Joe Quesada
First Appearance: Daredevil: Father #2 (Oct. 2005)
Role: Street Toughs
Group Affiliations: The Santerians
PL 7 (86)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+6)
Athletics 8 (+10)
Deception 4 (+6)
Expertise (Streetwise) 5 (+6)
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 2 (+4)
Investigation 3 (+5)
Perception 3 (+5)
Stealth 1 (+5)

Advantages:
Ranged Attack 4, Teamwork

Powers:
None

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +3, Fortitude +4, Will +5

Complications:
Motivation (Cleaning Up The Streets)

Total: Abilities: 56 / Skills: 30--15 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 10 (86)

-The Santerians seem pretty small-time, as Daredevil by himself put whupping on most of the group before Eleggua/Nestor put a stop to things with his "Insanity" power. PL 8, with weak PL 7-7.5 defenses, should do for most of them.

The Santerians:
ELEGGUA (Nestor, aka "Nero")- PL 8 (134): INT 3, AWA 3, PRE 4, FIGHTING 10, Expertise (Business) 6 (+9), Comprehend 3 (Languages), "Create Confusion" Affliction 8 (Will; Dazed/Stunned/Transformed to Insanity- Random Actions) (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst +2), AE: Mind-Reading 5 [48]
-The leader.
OSHUN- PL 8 (111): "Manipulate Internal Liquids" Affliction 8 (Toughness; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) (Ranged, Cumulative), AE: "Control Water" Move Object 8 (Extras: Perception-Ranged) (Flaws: Limited to Water) [25]
-Water controller, named after the Orisha of rivers & streams.
OGUN- PL 8 (106): ST 8, STA 8, Parry +8 [20]
-Named after the Orisha of war; shares a name with a Wolverine foe. Indeterminate super-strength, which is a bit difficult to figure out.
CHANGO- PL 8 (102): Electrical Blast 8 [16]
-Named after the Orisha of fire & passion.
OYA- PL 7 (115): Flight 5, Environment 6 (Impede Movement 2, Visibility), AE: "Winds" Move Object 5 [29]
-Named after the Orisha of storms; uses weather power. Oddly shares a name with one of The Lights, who later became part of many X-Men teams.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Nestor is probably named in part after Nestor Capoeira, Capoeira still having some Santeira overtones due to the cultural background.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Batgirl III wrote:That is truly ridiculous! We all know that everyone in Canada is a violent, racist bigot. Not just the people in one province. :lol:
LIES! Complete hogwash! Canadians are 100% non-racist, non-prejudiced people who have nobody and no group*- we even voted a guy OUT of office after he started on the Anti-Muslim thing!

Unless you're Native. Then you're f*cked.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

FuzzyBoots wrote:Nestor is probably named in part after Nestor Capoeira, Capoeira still having some Santeira overtones due to the cultural background.
Ooh, neat. I meant to check out if that backstory was based off of actual things.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

L-Space wrote:*Warning* *Rule against Requests about the be broken!* *If anger over rule-breaking gets too high, please try and make the punishment quick and merciful!*

With you doing the the 'S' Characters from Marvel, would it be in the realms of possibility to get a Spider-Man (Miles Morales) build? I've been digging his current comic and there aren't a lot of builds of him around.
I actually went "wait... I didn't build him already?" He's that unique combination of being mostly unknown to me, and having a Wikipedia page that looks like someone cut & pasted the entire works of J.R.R. Tolkien on one page, so it'd be a lot of work...

except I can just cut & paste a less-experienced Spidey build. AND his name starts with an "S", so he's technically on-theme.

So I figure I can give you a one-time "you've been reading my thread for like ten years" pass for making a request :).