Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Spider-Women! Sublime! Skreet! Shadow King!)

Post by Jabroniville »

KorokoMystia wrote:Since you're on names that start with "S", I may as well bring up the Surgeon General again, if you don't mind.

This is the one build I've seen of them.
Hah- I forgot about that one. Probably because scc posted that Jae Lee picture of Tamara Rahn right afterwards :).
Ken

Re: Siege

Post by Ken »

Jabroniville wrote:Image
SO NINETIES!!!!
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
HalloweenJack

Re: Shalla-Bal

Post by HalloweenJack »

Jabroniville wrote:Image

Like half of her online images feature her wearing stuff like that Leia get-up.

SHALLA-BAL:
Created By:[/b] Stan Lee & John Buscema
First Appearance: Silver Surfer #1 (Aug. 1968)
Role: Hero's Girlfriend
Group Affiliations: Zenn-La
PL 2 (46), PL 4 (46) Defenses
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 1 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 0 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Deception 1 (+4)
Expertise (Politics) 4 (+7)
Persuasion 3 (+6)

Advantages:
Benefit 5 (Ruler of Zenn-La), Ranged Attack 5

Powers:
"Zenn-Lavian Physiology"
Immunity 1 (Aging) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +0 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +2 (DC 12), Parry +2 (DC 12), Toughness +1, Fortitude +4, Will +4

Complications:
Relationship (Norrin Radd)- Shalla-Bal & Norrin were betrothed, were split apart, then reunited... but ultimately left apart because he had other girlfriends.
Responsibility (Zenn-La)

Total: Abilities: 24 / Skills: 8--4 / Advantages: 10 / Powers: 1 / Defenses: 7 (46)

-Shalla-Bal is mainly known for being the Silver Surfer's girlfriend back on Zenn-La, his homeworld. Honestly, as a kid in the '90s, I had no idea this character was even supposed to be ALIVE. She is actually the Empress of Zenn-La, and watches Norrin Radd, her lover, leave their homeworld and serve Galactus in order to save the planet. We do not discover the Surfer's origin until 1968 (years after his debut, in which he was basically a soulless automoton that later learns the true value of humanity- Stan Lee would modify him into a passionate Space Philosopher)- this also introduces Shalla-Bal to the Marvel U as a recurring character, as Mephisto uses her in his attempt to steal the Surfer's noble soul.

-Galactus would destroy Zenn-La for the Surfer's betrayal, but out of some loyalty to his former charge, he allowed them to evacuate the planet first. The Surfer bestowed some of the Power Cosmic onto her, allowing her to re-energize the planet. Sadly, she and the Surfer ended their relationship, owing to her responsibilities with the Zenn-Lavians. She was dead for a bit (gotta give Surfer more angst!), but Norrin found her soul in Mephisto's realm- generally speaking, she seems to only be used as the classic "Damsel In Distress", with her never really mattering as a CHARACTER so much as she matters to the SURFER. Most-recently, she showed up on the Slott/Allred Silver Surfer book, leading some Zenn-Lavians in a takeover of Earth to imprint Zenn-Lavian culture over top of the planet- the Surfer is able to reverse this... but only by erasing ZENN-LAVIAN culture, thus ruining what was left of the people he'd once sacrificed his freedom for.

is some of this later on retcon stuff?

because last I recall, Zenn-La was destroyed LONG ago by the Other, but Galactus made like....simulacrum of sorts of it for the Surfer....till that went the way of the dodo in like....1996?
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Hell if I know. It's probably been Tamaran'd like five times by now
Jabroniville

Shola Inkosi

Post by Jabroniville »

SHOLA INKOSI
Created By:
Chris Claremont & John Bobillo
First Appearance: Mekanix #1 (Dec. 2002)
Role: Forgotten Character
Group Affiliations: Excalibur (Later Version)
PL 8 (95)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 2 (+4)
Insight 1 (+3)
Perception 4 (+6)
Ranged Combat (Telekinesis) 2 (+8)
Stealth 1 (+4)

Advantages: 
Improved Critical (TK), Ranged Attack 3

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Combat Telekinesis"
Move Object 8 (Feats: Precise) (Extras: Damaging) (25) -- [27]
  • AE: "Form Dust Into Spear" Blast 8 (Drawbacks: Requires Debris -2) (14)
  • AE: "Limited Telepathy" Communication (Mental) 2 Linked to Mind-Reading 5 (Flaws: Limited to Emotions) (13)
Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Spear/TK +8 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Mind-Reading -- (+5, DC 15)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3, Fortitude +4, Will +5

Complications:
Motivation (Helping Out Mutants)

Total: Abilities: 48 / Skills: 10--5 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 27 / Defenses: 11 (95)

-A forgotten Telekinetic character from Claremont's run on... Mekanix? Okay- no idea. Apparently it's Claremont's book about Kitty Pryde, said to be his "favorite character" (I dunno about THAT... have you read the X-Books when Rogue & Storm are featured?). While attending school in Chicago, Shola's entire family was wiped out in the genocide of Genosha- triggering his latent powers. He ended up swept up in the adventures of Kitty Pryde & Karma in order to defeat the new "Adaptive Sentinels". Claremont then shipped him to his New Excalibur book, based on the rebuilding of Genosha. He hasn't appeared in forever.

-Though a rookie, Shola was capable of some precise applications of his mutant power, such as destroying a granite slab, reforming the dust into a spear, then dispersing the dust. However, his powers were primarily combat-focused. Also, like so many others, his TK is joined by Telepathy.
Jabroniville

Shriker

Post by Jabroniville »

Okay, there's a new owner of the "plainest costume in comics" prize.

SHRIKER (Jack D'Auria)
Created By:
Howard Mackie & Mark Texiera
First Appearance: Ghost Rider #4 (Aug. 1990- as Dan), Ghost Riders #52 (Aug. 1994)
Role: Minor Supporting Character-Turned-Sidekick
Group Affiliations: None
PL 8 (86)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Acrobatics 7 (+11)
Athletics 9 (+12)
Deception 2 (+3)
Intimidation 4 (+5)
Perception 3 (+4)
Stealth 1 (+5)

Advantages:
Equipment 1 (Katana +3, Staff +2- Reach), Evasion, Ranged Attack 4

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Bo Staff +10 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Katana +10 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +4, Fortitude +5, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Justice)- I guess.

Total: Abilities: 56 / Skills: 26--13 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 11 (86)

-Wow, this "S" section has really turned into a "Ghost Rider Builds" set, hasn't it? This guy is actually a little-used Ghost Rider supporting cast member (a friend of Dan Ketch's), who four years later suddenly turns up as a martial arts-based superhero that aids GR on some missions (he claims to have known Dan was GR all along, and was now trying to help out), before the next writer takes over the book and boots him out. That's like... the entirety of his character.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Sublime! Skreet! Shadow King! Santerians! Siege!)

Post by Jabroniville »

When I realized that I had like three builds set here that were essentially "Ghost Rider" builds, I briefly considered transferring them to a GR set and then doing that in the future. Then it occurred to me that I HATE Ghost Rider, and I would put that off until the day I died, so here you have something like 3-4 builds all themed around the same guy in the "S" section, because their writers kept repeating that one. There was even ANOTHER one, Skinner, but he was one of the Lilin, and I was saving them for the "L" section. Because my brain cannot brook doing them separately like that :).
Jabroniville

Spinnerette

Post by Jabroniville »

SPINNERETTE
Created By:
John Byrne
First Appearance: The Fantastic Four #237 (Dec. 1981)
Role: Space Lady
Group Affiliations: The Solons
PL 8 (118)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Expertise (Space Traveller) 4 (+7)
Investigation 2 (+4)
Perception 2 (+4)

Advantages:
Equipment 6 (Spaceship), Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Solon Physiology"
"Natural Size" Growth 2 (Str & Sta +2, +2 Mass, +1 Intimidation, -1 Dodge/Parry) -- (8 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [5]

"Alter Gravity" Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation- Zero Gravity) (Extras: Affects Others, Area- 60ft. Burst +2) [5]
"Mental Energy Beam- Vertigo Power" Affliction 8 (Will; Hindered & Impaired/Exhausted & Disabled/Incapacitated) (Extras: Ranged, Extra Condition, Cumulative) [32]

Offense:
Unarmed +5 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Vertigo Beam +8 (+8 Ranged Affliction, DC 18)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +5, Fortitude +7, Will +4

Complications:
Weakness (High-Oxygen Atmospheres)- Solons fall into a drunken-like state when in high-oxygen atmospheres for too long.

Total: Abilities: 48 / Skills: 8--4 / Advantages: 10 / Powers: 42 / Defenses: 14 (118)

-Spinnerette is an alien female who ended up on Earth looking for indium to fix her spaceship, and was fooled into helping some hobos steal jewelry. The FF soon cured her drunk-like state and sent her home, from which she never returned. With her blue skin, eye things and leggings, she actually looks like more of a Dave Cockrum design than a John Byrne one, but it's unlikely the two would co-operate on anything, if you've ever read something by Cockrum on Byrne. She's a pretty simple character, and her solo appearance (which I've read now- it's a pretty goofy, weird one) means she's light on Skills & Advantages- only being able to alter the gravity inside her spaceship (presumably the Area is enough to do so), and give people Vertigo as a ranged blast. She's quite strong and tough, coming from a race of 9-foot-tall people who breed like amoebas. Also, I have no idea why her name is Spinnerette.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shock

Post by Shock »

RUSCHE wrote:
Goldar wrote:
Jabroniville wrote:So Ken got me curious, so I statted up Shalla-Bal for the hell of it. I'm unsure of much (she doesn't see a lot of combat), so she's effectively an ageless bystander.
Wasn't Shalla Bal powered up at one point? I think she was, with like Power Cosmic or some such.

I believe she made a dead world alive again with vegetation. It might even have been Zenn-la.
Yes , she had been and I believe still is imbued with a portion of cosmic power by the Surfer. She used it to bring life back to Zenn-La.
If it's possible to use the power cosmic to bring life back to a planet drained by Galactus, why does he have to keep finding new planets rather than having his herald just restore the same handful over and over again?
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

Shock wrote:
RUSCHE wrote:
Goldar wrote:
Wasn't Shalla Bal powered up at one point? I think she was, with like Power Cosmic or some such.

I believe she made a dead world alive again with vegetation. It might even have been Zenn-la.
Yes , she had been and I believe still is imbued with a portion of cosmic power by the Surfer. She used it to bring life back to Zenn-La.
If it's possible to use the power cosmic to bring life back to a planet drained by Galactus, why does he have to keep finding new planets rather than having his herald just restore the same handful over and over again?
Hey, I don't write the stupid stories. I just report 'em! :lol:
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

OH MY GOD... YOU GUYS!!!

I grabbed some random issues from the local Used Bookstore, mostly because they featured jobbers, and I discovered... THE OTHER POWER-TOOLS!! Jab's Builds legends!!. I didn't even realize they were in one of the Avengers Spotlight issues & picked up! Hawkeye (the star of the book, which was a two-part Anthology series) gets roped into helping out the kidnapped Madcap against Dr. Karl Malus, and he debuts the four new Power-Tools (not named in-story; they appear unrelated to the others aside from their gimmick- they don't even wear costumes or Devices!)! Hawkeye & Madcap pretty much effortlessly defeat them- Hawkeye is beating on 2-3 at once in some panels without even using his arrows, and then Madcap drives the female one crazy and she attacks the others. All four are believed killed in an explosion and never seen again.

There's also a West Coast Avengers issue that sees Iron Man, Mockingbird & Hawkeye take on Razor-Fist, Shockwave and Zaran the Weapon-Master. It's pretty much a curbstomp... but only for the two non-powered heroes. Hawkeye wipes out Zaran in like three seconds, essentially whacking away any of his thrown weapons, then blowing up his spinning staff with four arrows. Mockingbird dodges all of Razor-Fist's attacks and then KOs him the second she makes contact. It's IRON MAN of all people who has a tough time, as he gets constantly knocked around by Shockwave's messing with his electronics using his Blast power (GMs: THIS is how you make a Powersuit "worth the Removable Flaw")- Tony has to basically cheat to win, outsmarting the villain by grabbing him around the neck and falling on top of him- if Shockwave blows out the armor... then it'll strangle him by virtue of weight.

There's also a great Spotlight issue that sees Hawkeye, Mockingbird & Trickshot effortlessly defeat an entire VILLAIN ARMY consisting of Bobcat, Oddball, The Death-Throws and Bullet Biker! A murderer's row of failed murderers! It's absolutely one-sided (with most guys dropping to a single shot) until Knickknack of the Death-Throws whips a knife into Trickshot's chest and nearly kills him. Then Hawkeye chases after the villains' ringleader Crossfire, who pulls a gun. Hawkeye is out of arrows!!!... but just throws the bow at Crossfire, defeating him via "near-death fall".

Amazing jobberiness. I miss this kind of stuff. Howard Mackie was no great shakes as a writer, but he had a Grunewaldian love for these loser villains, I'm discovering.
drkrash

Post by drkrash »

And also furthers the notion discussed a few pages back that comics often spent plenty of panels and pages on showing us fight scenes. I miss this.

I think this the most fundamental disconnect in supers role-playing today: some people try to achieve the ideal of play being "just like a comic book," but in the modern era, what does that even mean?

I think all supers rpgs are inherently meant for golden, silver, bronze and, to a lesser extent, iron age emulation. You want to emulate modern comics? Just write fanfic instead.
Shadow Ops - cinematic espionage action RPG - Kickstarter live now!
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

Goldar wrote:
Shock wrote:
RUSCHE wrote: Yes , she had been and I believe still is imbued with a portion of cosmic power by the Surfer. She used it to bring life back to Zenn-La.
How would you feel about having the same meal every night ? He needs variety in his diet !!!
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Bladewind's 3ed M&M Builds
The Merge Setting document
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

Bladewind wrote:
Goldar wrote:
Shock wrote:
How would you feel about having the same meal every night ? He needs variety in his diet !!!
How true! After all, variety is the spice of Life!
Spectrum

Re: Jab's Builds! (Sally Floyd! Spider-Women! Sublime! Skreet!)

Post by Spectrum »

Spectrum wrote:Wow, and here I was thinking that all of Canada was a paragon of progressive thinking, letting people be who they wanted to be and all the medical care in the world regardless of those choices, and no crime whatsoever except for those that deserve it!
...and then every once in a while I come across Professor Jordan Peterson. *sigh just sigh*
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.