Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
KorokoMystia

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Visionaries! Mettle! Hazmat! Reptil! Finesse! Veil!)

Post by KorokoMystia »

I'm still looking forward to those Shining Force and Fire Emblem builds, though this set looks like it'll be really fun, too. While I knew of the series, I had no idea that pool of mythologies and folklore that they drew from was so broad!
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

I love it. You've already made me enjoy this, Jab
Spam

Post by Spam »

Doctor Malsyn wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:49 am Damn man, you can stat pretty much anything now can't you? When you gonna stat all of us out? :lol:

If you stat me, just remember I have luck. I could send you a picture of my wife to prove it. Being that she's pregnant at the moment, I'm sure I would score a load of Jab-points.
Jack of Spades

Post by Jack of Spades »

Jab proved his prowess to me when he stated the Care Bears.
Jack's Deck build threadFantasy Geographic Society campaign web site
Jabroniville

Griffin

Post by Jabroniville »

5) GRIFFIN
Origin:
Mythology (Egypt/Persia)
Role: Flying Chimeric Creature
PL 9 (115)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 8 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -4 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Acrobatics 3 (+6)
Athletics 3 (+9)
Expertise (Survival) 9 (+10)
Intimidation 10 (+9 Size)
Perception 11 (+12)
Stealth 6 (+10, +8 Size)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Chokehold, Diehard, Extraordinary Effort, Evasion, Fast Grab, Fearless, Follow-Up Strike, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Natural Weapons) 3, Improved Hold, Improved Initiative, Prone Fighting

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 7 (Low-Light, Extended & Ultra-Vision, Acute & Extended Scent, Extended & Ultra-Hearing) [7]
Speed 4 (32 mph) [4]
"Natural Weapons- Claws, Talons & Beak" Strength-Damage +2 [2]

Flight 6 (120 mph) (Flaws: Winged) [6]

"Natural Size" Growth 2 (Str & Sta +2, +2 Mass, +1 Intimidation, -1 Dodge/Parry, -2 Stealth) -- (10 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [5]
Strength-Damage +1 [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Claws & Teeth +8 (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Initiative +8

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +8, Fortitude +9, Will +8

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Griffins cannot speak to humans, nor use their paws to easily manipulate objects.

Total: Abilities: 38 / Skills: 44--22 / Advantages: 16 / Powers: 25 / Defenses: 14 (115)

-Griffins are one of my favourite mythological creatures, and tend to be based off of a Lion's body, with an Eagle's head, wings and front legs (replacing the Lion's entire front). Other versions include more or less Eagle, or even alter pieces entirely, depending upon the creator's own tastes or their familiarity with the myths. The reasoning behind the mix was obvious- the King of Beasts merged with the King of Birds. And thus we had a powerfully-majestic creature, maintaining the best of both worlds, and a great symbol for royalty, as well as guarding treasure.

-Griffins started being used first in Ancient Egypt & Persia (pre-3000 BC), always as protectors of great treasures. Medieval heraldry continued this, using them as protectors of the divine. Griffins, thought of as real animals, were said to consider horses as their favorite prey. Because of this, the Hippogriff (the child of a horse and a griffin) was a stand-in for an "impossible animal". "Griffin Claws" (antelope horns) and "Griffin Eggs" (ostrich eggs) were common in medieval Euroepan courts, too. It wasn't until a few centuries after the death of Christ that everyone kind of realized that there was no such thing.

-The large size and beak of the Griffin has been considered by some scholars to be an explanation for fossil discoveries- Protoceratops skeletons have been found in the regions where Griffin myths developed, and the large beak of those Ceratopsians fit the concept of a Griffin pretty well.

-The figure, alas, isn't overly great- because the molds had to be cast in one piece, figures are pretty flat, and the Griffin isn't cast sideways- it's instead this weirdly flat creature viewed from the front, so you can't see his hindquarters much, and only his leonine tail signifies his species. He at least has wings and a birdlike head, and a decent silhouette with the triumphant winged pose.

-The Griffin merges the best traits of a Tiger with those of an Eagle, gaining Flight, better Visual Senses, and better Perception. They're mighty PL 9 animals, packing overall better stats throughout than any Big Cat, and they'd be fearsome mounts for a character so inclined.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Spam wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:10 pm
Doctor Malsyn wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:49 am Damn man, you can stat pretty much anything now can't you? When you gonna stat all of us out? :lol:

If you stat me, just remember I have luck. I could send you a picture of my wife to prove it. Being that she's pregnant at the moment, I'm sure I would score a load of Jab-points.
Pics nowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Jack of Spades wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:31 pm Jab proved his prowess to me when he stated the Care Bears.
Haha, those did prove pretty legendary at the time :).
Jabroniville

Triton

Post by Jabroniville »

10) TRITON
Origin:
God (Greek Mythology)
Role: Olympian Sea God, The Son of Poseidon
PL 11 (237)
STRENGTH
8 STAMINA 9 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 12 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 5

Skills:
Deception 5 (+10)
Expertise (History) 8 (+12)
Expertise (Science) 5 (+9)
Expertise (Magic) 2 (+6)
Expertise (The Seas) 9 (+13)
Expertise (God) 6 (+10)
Insight 5 (+8)
Intimidation 3 (+8, +10 Full Size)
Perception 4 (+7)
Persuasion 5 (+8)
Ranged Combat (Water) 2 (+10)
Technology 6 (+10)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Benefit 4 (Prince of the Seas), Defensive Attack, Diehard, Fast Grab, Favored Environment (Water), Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Trident), Languages 2 (Several), Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Alien Anatomy- Olympian"
"Immortal"
Immunity 7 (Aging, Poison, Disease, Hot, Cold, Pressure, Vacuum) [7]
Regeneration 8 (Feats: Regrows Limbs) [9]
Immortality 2 [4]
Features 1: Increased Mass [1]

"Olympian Size" Growth 2 (+2 Mass, +2 Intimidation, -0 Fighting/Dodge, -2 Stealth, Reach 1) -- (10 feet) (Flaws: Limited to Non-ST & STA Growths) [4]

"Lord of the Seas"
Immunity 1 (Drowning) [1]
Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation- Aquatic) [2]
Swimming 9 (250 mph) [9]

"Mystical Horn-Shaped Device" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [35]
"Tidal Wave" Blast 10 (Extras: Area- 250ft. Burst +4) (Flaws: Source- Water) (50) -- (55)
  • AE: "Water Stream" Damage 10 (Extras: Area- 250ft. Line +4) (Flaws: Source- Water) (40)
  • AE: Move Object 10 (Extras: Damaging, Perception-Ranged) (Flaws: Limited to Water) (30)
  • AE: "Water-World" Environment (Impede Movement) 4 (2 ranks, 240ft. Radius) (8)
  • AE: "Forced Drowning" Affliction 10 (Fort; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) (Extras: Ranged) (20)
  • AE: "Mass Drowning" Affliction 8 (Fort; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) (Extras: Ranged, Area- 500ft. Burst +5) (Flaws: Source- Water) (48)
"Summon Monsters"
Comprehend 2 (Animals) (Flaws: Limited to Aquatic Creatures) (2)
-- (57 points)

"Energy Trident" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [6]
Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Reach, Improved Critical) (Extras: Penetrating 6) (10 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Trident +12 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Water Area Attacks +10 Area (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Drowning +10 (+10 Affliction, DC 20)
Mass Drowning +8 Area (+8 Affliction, DC 18)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +9, Fortitude +10, Will +8

Complications:
Responsibility (The Seas)- Triton is subserviant to only his parents, and is thus in charge of a great deal of the galaxy's seas. Poseidon delegates a great deal of authority to his son.
Responsibility (Olympian Pride)- All Olympians are a bit prideful.

Total: Abilities: 98 / Skills: 60--30 / Advantages: 18 / Powers: 78 / Defenses: 13 (237)

-Triton's always been a God who's interested me, in that he has a cool look and concept. Unfortunately, he doesn't actually DO anything- he's just kind of "around". He's a Sea God, and son of Poseidon and his wife Amphitrite, meaning he's a full God, unlike so many demigods who make up Greek Myth. Triton typically appears in mythology only as a fish-tailed Sea God in the retinue of his father Poseidon, King of the Seas. He played a magical conch-shell which quelled the wild waves, which he once used to help Odysseus and his fellow sailors. He was also a foster-father to a young Athena while she was growing up, though she later grew into a rival of his father's. His daughter Pallas was killed by Athena in a playful sparring match, and a guilt-ridden Athena bore the name "Pallas Athena" in many tales afterwards. His name is given to one of the moons of Neptune, as well as Ariel's father in Disney's The Little Mermaid.

-The MIMP figure is pretty generic- a 2D-ish mer-man with an ugly face and a beard- it seems like they wanted a "Mermaid"-like character, but wanted it to be male, so they threw on the most famous mythological figure with those features. The figure's description mentions him as the "Master of the Ocean", but includes his Conch Shell. Numerous Tritons appear as Mooks in the sewer level of the NES video game, leaping from the water to attack the player.

Divine Offspring:
With Various Mothers: Pallas, Kalliste, Triteia, The Tritonides
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

KorokoMystia wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:39 am I'm still looking forward to those Shining Force and Fire Emblem builds, though this set looks like it'll be really fun, too. While I knew of the series, I had no idea that pool of mythologies and folklore that they drew from was so broad!
Are you on the group Discord? I brought those two up as things I want to do at some point in the next handful of months. The only issue is you and I might be the only people here to have played them to any extent, lol. I've only played the two GBA Fire Emblem games, too.
Jabroniville

Charon

Post by Jabroniville »

42) CHARON
Origin:
God (Greek Mythology)
Role: The Ferryman
PL 10 (164)
STRENGTH
8 STAMINA 8 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 12 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Expertise (History) 8 (+12)
Expertise (Magic) 2 (+6)
Expertise (The Underworld) 9 (+13)
Expertise (God) 6 (+10)
Insight 5 (+8)
Intimidation 7 (+10, +12 Full Size)
Perception 5 (+8)

Advantages:
Benefit 1 (The Ferryman), Diehard, Equipment 1 (Slow-Moving Boat, Oar), Fast Grab, Favored Environment (Boats), Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Oar), Languages 2 (Several), Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Immortal"
Immunity 7 (Aging, Poison, Disease, Hot, Cold, Pressure, Vacuum) [7]
Regeneration 8 (Feats: Regrows Limbs) [9]
Immortality 2 [4]
Features 1: Increased Mass [1]

"Olympian Size" Growth 2 (+2 Mass, +2 Intimidation, -0 Fighting/Dodge, -2 Stealth, Reach 1) -- (10 feet) (Flaws: Limited to Non-ST & STA Growths) [4]
"The Ferryman" Immunity 1 (Drowning) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +8, Fortitude +10, Will +8

Complications:
Responsibility (The Underworld)- Charon takes people across the River Styx, provided they have the money to pay.
Responsibility (Olympian Pride)- All Olympians are a bit prideful.

Total: Abilities: 90 / Skills: 42--21 / Advantages: 13 / Powers: 26 / Defenses: 14 (164)

-Charon is a fairly famous character, but often goes unnamed- he's usually a silent figure who cares dead souls to the Underworld, crossing the River Styx which encircles the realm of Hades. A coin would be paid to Charon for passage, and so the Greek buried their dead with coins in or on the mouth of the deceased. Those who could not pay the fee, or were left unburied, would wander the shores of the Styx for one-hundred years.

-Charon himself is the son of Erebus, one of the Primordial Gods of Darkness- and his brothers included Hypnos and Thanatos- Dream and Death. Some stories depict him as heartless and short-tempered, though the Greeks would naturally vary on this- like most things in the Underworld, he just has a job to do, and treats all equally in death. He's also the one who ferries heroes like Herakles and others back and forth across the Styx, even though they still live. The largest moon of Pluto is named for him.

-The figure is a rather plain one- a hunched over guy with a huge head and a big nose, holding a simple oar with two skulls attached to it. They depict him as a nasty, evil man in the write-up as well, saying he loves to toss people out of his boat.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Ares wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:13 pm There's evidence that Hollywood was a good deal more powerful than Wonderman was, possibly due to steady power growth as time went on.

Apparently Simon fought a member of the Stark aliens called Overkill (formerly Tazer Face), who was wearing an advanced suit of armor that not only let him defeat Firelord, but generated enough energy that it's self destruct could destroy solar systems. That's right, solar SYSTEMS. Plural. Anywhere, he's what happens:
UGH '90s art UGH UGH UGH.

Sounds a lot like the kind of Power-Geeking I hate (especially since he's on an All-Powerhouse team, save for Martinex & Replica), though as I've said, I can find nothing on this series. Actually, I saw the Limited Series at the Comic Expo yesterday, but it's ten bucks for the whole thing, which is a bit steep for something so forgotten.
KorokoMystia

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Visionaries! Reptil! Finesse! Veil! Kraken! Griffin!)

Post by KorokoMystia »

I’m used to fiction depicting Charon as a Grim Reaper-looking dude, so this figure surprised me.
HalloweenJack

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Visionaries! Reptil! Finesse! Veil! Kraken! Griffin!)

Post by HalloweenJack »

That was one of the figures I had. I always liked the little coin in his left hand.
Jabroniville

The Great Beast

Post by Jabroniville »

1) THE GREAT BEAST OF REVELATION
Origin:
Religion (The Bible)
Role: Great Tempter, Apocalyptic Abomination
PL 17 (258)
STRENGTH
17 STAMINA 16 AGILITY -2
FIGHTING 2/6 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 5 PRESENCE 0/7

Skills:
Close Combat (Unarmed) 6 (+12)
Expertise (Survival) 5 (+5)
Intimidation 10 (+17, +27 Size)
Perception 5 (+10)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Improved Hold, Improved Grab, Startle, Power Attack, Takedown 2

Powers:
"Rise Up Out of the Sea, Having Seven Heads and Ten Horns, and Upon His Horns Ten Crowns, and Upon His Heads the Name of Blasphemy"
Senses 3 (Low-Light Vision, Radius Sight, Direction Sense) [3]
Enhanced Advantages: Second Chance 4: Perception Checks 2, Mind Control 2 [4]
Swimming 5 (60 mph) [5]
Immunity 3 (Pressure, Cold, Drowning) [3]

"And It Was Given Unto Him to Make War With the Saints, And to Overcome Them"
"Natural Size" Growth 20 (Str & Sta +20, +20 Mass, +10 Intimidation, -10 Dodge/Parry, +2 Speed, -20 Stealth) -- (250 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [41]
"Body Ram" Damage 12 (Extras: Area- 120ft. Burst +3) [48]
Enhanced Fighting 4 [8]
Strength-Damage +5 [5]
Protection 6 (Extras: Impervious 15) [21]

"And I Saw One of His Heads as it Were Wounded To Death; And His Deadly Wound Was Healed: And All the World Wondered After the Beast"
Regeneration 12 (Feats: Regrows Limbs) [13]

"And All That Dwell Upon the Earth Shall Worship Him, Whose Names Are Not Written in the Book of Life"
Enhanced Presence 7 [14]
Enhanced Skills 18: Deception 8 (+15), Persuasion 10 (+17) [9]

"And Power Was Given Him Over All Kindreds, and Tongues, and Nations"
Comprehend 3 (Languages) [6]

"And There Was Given Unto Him A Mouth Speaking Great Things and Blasphemies; And Power Was Given Unto Him to Continue Forty and Two Months"
Immunity 2 (Tiring) [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+22 Damage, DC 37)
Body Ram +12 Area (+12 Damage, DC 27)
Initiative -2

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +25 (+8 Impervious), Fortitude +23, Will +13

Complications:
Responsibility (Blasphemy)

Total: Abilities: 10 / Skills: 26--13 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 182 / Defenses: 46 (258)

-Yes, incredibly enough, this line also features monsters straight out of the BIBLE- in this case, the Beast who assails humanity and tempts them in The Book of Revelation. Numbered "666", it was a "Mix & Match Creature", but also contained the Biblical tendency of creatures to have multiple heads (something that gets dropped from a lot of pop culture themed around Christian imagery). Its heads represent multiple kings, five of whom have fallen (seen by some to be Julius, Augustus, Tiberius, Caligula & Claudius, all from Rome), one of whom currently reigns (Nero?), and one of whom has yet to reign, and a harlot rides on his back, because ladies love bad boys. He rises from the abyss and makes all who are not faithful to Jesus worship him, slaughtering those who have faith, before he is himself defeated and thrown into the lake of fire by the King of Kings, "He who sits on a white horse", with his victims blessed with a second, everlasting life.

-Naturally, scholars debate one just what the Beast symbolizes- Roman Emperors (including Julius, who was assassinated before he could assume any sort of throne)? The Catholic Church & Pope? The Jewish faithful who allied with Rome against this new Church? Aleister Crowley declared that HE was the Beast warned of in the Bible.

-The Great Beast figure is easily one of the best in the line, with a wide-open pose, seven draconic heads, and even tiny wings that just serve to make the creature look bigger. There's a reason most MIMP things I've seen use his silhouette as an emblem for the entire line. The figure is one of the most sought after, despite being a Series I release- he's just EPIC! He appears as the toughest of the flying creatures in the NES video game, too- taking three hits to kill and having the most detailed sprite.

-I'll give Christian theology this- they write one hell of a set of names for powers. The Great Beast is huge, powerful, charismatic, and a great tempter, able to lay waste to thousands and cause those whose names are not written to fall. Only that Jesus fellow is said to have the power to stop him, casting the Beast down. He has a Power Level of 17, making him remarkably dangerous- a titanic beast that can ruin the entire world.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
HalloweenJack

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Finesse! Veil! Kraken! Griffin! The Great Beast!)

Post by HalloweenJack »

It seemed like in the comic too that they were building him up. The Warlock goes and speaks with him in the first issue I think, and the Beast is obscured, dwelling down in a crevice which made me think they were going to use him later, but the series ended before he appeared again. I'm not sure if it was just a limited series or had bad sales (which given it was a Harvey book in the 90s was pretty much a given)