On the road (D&d 5E Recruiting 1)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Flynnarrel

Re: On the road (D&d 5E Recruiting Closed)

Post by Flynnarrel »

StarGuard wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:55 am
Flynnarrel wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:19 am Any problem with us (or those of us who wear armor) to have had it on and battle-ready enough during dinner?
Yeah this a thing at table top games too. It wouldn't bother me so much but as the guy who usually plays a user of magic, I get a little irritated when a DM gets cranky about if or when I cast Mage Armor but the Paladin can eat sleep and apparently bath in her chainmail. :?
Great point! Do we have any long term buffs on us already, and if so, whom? I notice Heart has Aid on her spell list, that an 8 hour spell for a few people. Might it be safe to assume it's been cast?
"Something pithy this way comes."
McGuffin

Post by McGuffin »

StarGuard wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:15 am Speaking gods and purity :) I hope our Cleric and Paladin are following close behind?
Assume Heart did since they were one of the people who noticed the shadow themselves and I posted Kriv correcting course after the others.

Been busy apartment hunting for a bit lately, hopefully not for longer but then comes the moving.
Otso Karell/Ursa, student at the New Vindicators Academy Europe.
Kriv of Clan Myastan, Dragonborn Noble Paladin in On the Road.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

No worries. I'm going to try and keep this game going at a decent clip, so assuming people are keeping up will be fine. Retconing if they want to adjust is also fine.

There is actually a mechanic from another game I want to try since it seems to fit pretty universally called a flashback. In this case it would use inspiration, but instead of giving advantage on a roll, you can do a quick flashback to add in some action you took that was otherwise not previous narrated, so long as it makes sense.

Example: you're sneaking into a manor house. Perhaps the day before you bribed the guard to be surreptitiously distracted by something as your group slips by. You make your social roll, spend your bribe gold and bam, it's canon.

It's a neat concept and I wanted to give it a try.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

For this part, I would like everyone else to chime in catching up and making an action of some sort, if anyone was holding back to see the result of the survival check.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Go ahead and add a perception roll as well. I suppose it's a little ambiguous, but I didn't mean a combat round action. :P

Just want to know what your characters do as they catch up with Kaine and give everyone a chance to act in some way.

Exile is attempting to find some tracks, Heart is helping with Guidance, and Salazar is looking about and inspiring Laine. All good teamwork so far by the way. Everyone have an Inspiration token. (if anyone is unfamiliar, you may only hold one inspiration token at a time and may spend it prior to a roll to give yourself advantage or negate disadvantage. I'm also implementing something a bit experimental by means of a flashback, where you can alter the past in some way contextually meaningful to the present by means of previous unnarrated action taken. IE: you rigged a quick trap further back in the alleyway to shephard an enemy into.)
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Ahh, I'll remeber that next time I post, I assumed we'd start without.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

You don't have to use a flashback in advance. It's context sensitive to the present, so when something is happening and it makes sense you could have done something previously to affect the present, that's when you would use a flashback.

It's a way around having to meticulously plan every single thing and contingency and still be able to pull off the "Aha! My planning paid off!"

The flashback needs to make sense of course and still requires any rolls that would be involved, but it still gives you the opportunity to pull off the 200IQ big brain plans in a way that doesn't disrupt gameflow with a bunch of pre planning.

For the inspiration, you don't start with one. They are earned much like hero points. Main difference is you can only have one at any given time (to encourage use over hoarding) and there is less you can innately do with them (by the rules it's just add advantage or negate disadvantage).

You can also give them to another player to use, assuming they don't already have one. To my understanding, this is no kind of action, so a whole party with inspirations could unload them into a single player making multiple rolls, like say a fighter with multiple attacks.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Salazar's Perception is +3, I wouldn't be able to roll until tonight. Feel free to roll for him so as not to slow down game. Thank you.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Just waiting on a post and action from Kaine.

Kriv appears to just be drawing weapons just in case, which is all good.
StarGuard

Post by StarGuard »

Putting post together now

Edit: never mind lol I'm caught up now, sort of :)

Tracking 19
https://orokos.com/roll/759539
StarGuard

Post by StarGuard »

"Quotation marks are for spoken words/sounds"
Italics are for personal thoughts
"Italics with quotation marks are telepathic communication"

I don't know that'll come up but its a thing sometimes :)
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

I didn't think we were looking for Exile. I thought Exile was in plain sight and trying to find clues as to where the shadowy figure went.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Kaine obviously got lost in Exile's dust. ;)
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Also, you guys DID get to eat. The intent was a cut ahead, which is why I said to deduct coin for food. :)

Wouldn't have you fight pirates on an empty stomach! At least... not on dry land. On a boat that would be a bad idea.
StarGuard

Post by StarGuard »

My bad