On the road (D&d 5E Recruiting 1)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Doctor Malsyn

Re: On the road (D&d 5E Recruiting Closed)

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

All this talk is pretty cool, but I have to clarify something unrelated. It's Kriv and Heart's turn still isn't it?
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
McGuffin

Post by McGuffin »

It's Exile, then pirates, then Kriv and Heart, unless I'm way off. Kaine and Salazar already posted actions for the 1st proper round after the surprise round, if I'm following correctly.
Otso Karell/Ursa, student at the New Vindicators Academy Europe.
Kriv of Clan Myastan, Dragonborn Noble Paladin in On the Road.
StarGuard

Post by StarGuard »

Spent my action. Rolled the Crit wrong but EE fixed. Wasn’t planning to use Ki for a shove anyway though. Try to save those for Boss or equivalents with so few available. I’ve never played anything beside VV and MM via a post so I’m still having moments of crossing MM and DD rules but will get better
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

McGuffin wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:38 pm It's Exile, then pirates, then Kriv and Heart, unless I'm way off. Kaine and Salazar already posted actions for the 1st proper round after the surprise round, if I'm following correctly.
You are following correctly. We're on turn 2 waiting for Exile
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

StarGuard wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:44 pm ... Try to save those for Boss or equivalents with so few available...
It's hard for me too to judge when to use limited abilities/spells. The temptation to save them is very great and sometimes, in hindsight, I realize I make things harder for myself in smaller fights and lose out possible opportunities to shine in certain situations.

Your Ki regenerates on a short rest, which is 30 minutes to an hour of resting time. In 4E they had a concept of 'encounter powers' which were powers designed for use once in a fight. Short rest regenerating things were meant to be reasonably equivalent to once per fight things, especially if you think we'll get a breather after a fight (which I'm not sure we will). Also, if the fight is lopsided (maybe like a 6 to 4 ambush) or a power can be particularly effective (like potentially pushing two guys off a roof in a turn) or the situation is sucky (thieves coordinating so they can all use their sneak attacks) is another situation to consider using short-rest powers in a fight but it's hard to know when to pull out the big guns.

Speaking of, Salazar's Bardic Inspiration, at this level, regenerates on a long rest (8 hours) so I probably should have been more conservative with them. *shrug*. It's fitting how it played out. Oh, and it seems half cover gives +2 to AC and Dex saves, not disadvantage.
"Something pithy this way comes."
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Ahh, I see. My apologies for the hold up then, I'll get a post out later.
------------
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Flynnarrel wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:16 pmOh, and it seems half cover gives +2 to AC and Dex saves, not disadvantage.
Oops. My bad. I didn't have my book handy to reference and was kind of rushed. We'll keep it in mind moving forward.
StarGuard

Post by StarGuard »

EpicEclipse wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:40 pm Meanwhile, Kaine manages a solid connection with his quarterstaff into his opponent's ribs. He can feel the rib give way and crack as his opponent drops. (You need to decide with melee attacks whether you intend to kill or knock out)
SOP will be to kill (especially when ambushed), unless stated otherwise. If this campaign requires a softer touch then I have no problem going the other direction. :)
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Whatever you wanna do, I just don't want to state you kill when you wanted to keep someone alive. The option is only available for melee attacks though.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Salazar will raise the point that we may want to question one as to what they were doing in some random back alley in the Affluent district. Also that we may need a few alive to turn over to the guards for questioning if only to show that we didn't just attack and murder 6 people in cold blood.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Ranged attacks,are auto-killers huh? Who knew that rangers and casters were so murderous...
------------
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

To confirm, the archers are on roofs 15 ft up? The crates that Exile are on are, what, 5 ft high?
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Well, maybe 3 feet, not large crates.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Kriv might want to specify who he's adjacent to (and thus eligible for him to use his reaction to Protect with his fighting style).

For the melee thieves, how many could I get in a 20 ft cube? All 4?
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Flynnarrel wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:47 am ... I notice Heart has Aid on her spell list, that an 8 hour spell for a few people. Might it be safe to assume it's been cast?
This, from a few weeks back, had never been answered.