The Thorpocamultiverse Setting: Overwatch

Have a setting you like or a home brew you want to share? Do it here.
Thorpocalypse

LOS ANGELES

Post by Thorpocalypse »

LOS ANGELES

I've always thought The City of Angels has been an underutilized setting for superhero stuff. I guess because DC and Marvel are East Coast based companies, started by East Coast guys and the perception of the West Coast from the East Coast (and the Midwest, too) is that it's soft and since all the major financial and political hubs are out East, there would be a lack of motivation for supervillain activity. I don't agree.

Taking human nature into effect, it would seem that LA and Miami (coming soon) would be far more logical destinations for an aspiring supervillain. Think about it. In pro sports and college football, the athletes, who are the closest things to superhumans that we have, LA, Florida, Texas and other locations like have HUGE recruiting advantages over cold weather places. Why would you try to compete with The Kingpin in the cold, when you could carve out your own territory in 80 degree weather all time?

Plus, The City of Angels in the Thorpacoverse is another location with a large convergence of ley lines, so there is a lot of supernatural activity out there. Kind of explains Hollywood, really. :wink: As such, I am going to be building up the superhuman population of LA with a focus on the mystical side, or should I say, mythological side, since the protector(s) of LA in my setting are the brother and sister team of:

Siblings...Anyway, if you're not reading the new Wonder Woman book, pick it up, it's good. They're finally writing Diana well and giving her a supporting cast that is worthy of her. The key piece I am taking from it, though, is that they have revealed that she was not made from clay, she is actually an offspring of Zeus, making her and Herc half-siblings. The Olympus Group has set up their offices there now as well, so LA has become a new battlefield for the gods.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Heroes:

Villains:
Last edited by Thorpocalypse on Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum
Thorpocalypse

METROPOLIS

Post by Thorpocalypse »

METROPOLIS:

The Big Apricot. The City of Tomorrow. And home of the undisputed greatest superhero (at least in the Thorpacoverse):

Noting Jack Hawksmoor's communal with city spirits again, he said that Metropolis is a beautiful woman that always seems to be looking ahead. And that he has never met a city spirit that loves a single creature more than Metropolis loves Superman.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Heroes:

Superman Family and Allies:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Villains:
Last edited by Thorpocalypse on Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thorpocalypse

NEW ORLEANS

Post by Thorpocalypse »

NEW ORLEANS:

One of my favorite cities to visit, New Orleans has a feel unlike any other place in the US. And I feel it is criminally underused in the comic world because of its long time association with voodoo and a crime scene that just reeks of a need for superhero involvement. So in the Thorpocaverse, we’re going to rectify that a have a thriving mystical and superheroic community in the Big Easy. But of course, every city needs a main hero and because I still feel there’s hope for him if Marvel ever utilizes him properly:

Gambit has taken over as the cities’ main protector. His associations with the Thieves’ and Assassin’s Guild give him plenty of contacts and the street cred to help maintain peace between them (most of the time) and he’s been around the superhero scene for a good while in working with the X-Men to where he’s got enough hero cred to walk on the side of the angels. Even if he dips a toe back into the thievery waters every now and then.

New Orleans itself still has its issues with the aforementioned Guilds from time to time and as previously noted, with the crime scenes in Gotham and New York becoming overcrowded, a handful of villains and prospective crime kings have moved west to look for greener pastures. And much like Chicago and Gotham, New Orleans is another city with a nexus of ley lines which often leads to a lot of supernatural activity. Brother Voodoo has moved back to the city after his resurrection and often finds himself dealing with those types of threats.

And New Orleans is close to Belle Reve Federal Penitentiary, a special prison for metahumans and other supervillains. It is located in Terrebonne Parish, Louisiana, near the Gulf of Mexico, surrounded by miles of swamp land. Being the prison for many supervillains, it was chosen by Amanda Waller as the headquarters of the Suicide Squad.
Thorpocalypse

NEW YORK

Post by Thorpocalypse »

NEW YORK

The city with the highest concentration of superhumans in the world is The Big Apple itself, New York, New York, USA. Although several legendary superheroes call New York home, including Captain America, Iron Man, The Fantastic Four, and countless others, there is one hero that is considered by all to be the true protector of New York:

There are many heroes and villains in the city that are more powerful, but none are more synonymous with New York than old Webhead. Jack Hawksmoor said the spirit of the city looks like lot like the Statue of Liberty but she also has a pet spider that sits on her shoulder.

New York is the home base of The Avengers and several other superhero teams. Of course, there also an inordinate number of supervillains that reside in New York, as such, superhuman battles are a pretty common sight in the city, and barring something truly massive, they hardly draw any more attention than regular criminal activity does in any other city.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Heroes:

The Fantastic Four:

Spidey Allies:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Villains:

Spider-Man Villains:
Last edited by Thorpocalypse on Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thorpocalypse

THE AVENGERS

Post by Thorpocalypse »

THE AVENGERS

When I was thinking of a combined setting back at the original J-Mart, I really thought I would do away with the Avengers period, and just have the Justice League. But The Avengers are such a part of my comic life that I couldn't just x them out. Granted, they've had their crappy lineups and less than stellar writing over the years, but then again, so has the Justice League. So I decided to have both. In short, Cap, Iron Man, Thor, Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman and Aquaman formed the original League and after a minor falling out, Cap, Iron Man and Thor left to form the Avengers. For years the two major teams competed for members and such, but after the Civil War, Cap and Superman realized that they needed to focus on bringing the superhero community together so they have become kind of a two-headed beast, with those 7 forming the core leadership again, but each with separate rosters of heroes that can shift from team to team as needed. Robot coordinates overall activity with support from J'onn, Beast and Mister Terrific. They, along with the X-Men, share technology as the both now use Communicard technology that works for The Watchtower, The Hall of Justice, Avengers Mansion and Avengers Tower and all utilize Danger Room tech for training. And they both work with the Young Justice program, which has Teen Titan and Young Avengers teams, as well as with the Justice Society Initiative program.

---------------------------------------------------------------

THE AVENGERS:
Chairperson:

THE US AVENGERS:
Chairperson:

THE SECRET AVENGERS:
Chairperson:

THE WEST COAST AVENGERS:
Chairperson:
Last edited by Thorpocalypse on Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thorpocalypse

THE JUSTICE LEAGUE

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Coming soon...
Thorpocalypse

(JLAXI) Justice League/Avengers/X-Men/Inhuman Alliance

Post by Thorpocalypse »

THE JUSTICE LEAGUE/AVENGERS/X-MEN/INHUMANS ALLIANCE

When I was thinking of a combined setting back at the original J-Mart, I really thought I would do away with the Avengers period, and just have the Justice League. But The Avengers are such a part of my comic life that I couldn't just x them out. Granted, they've had their crappy lineups and less than stellar writing over the years, but then again, so has the Justice League. So I decided to have both, but with a bit of a twist. In short, Cap, Iron Man, Thor, Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman and Aquaman formed the original League and after a minor falling out, Cap, Iron Man and Thor left to form the Avengers. For years the two major teams competed for members and such, but after the Civil War and the Phoenix event where the X-Men were opposed by the Justice League and Avengers, Cap and Superman realized that they needed to focus on bringing the superhero community together. After meeting with Professor X and Mister Fantastic they all decided to create a combined team, with a massive roster of heroes that shifts from team to team as needed to create subgroups that function as the Justice League of America, The Avengers, the X-Men teams, etc.

Robot coordinates overall activity with support from J'onn, Beast and Mister Terrific. They, along with the X-Men, Fantastic Four and with their recent increase in numbers and influence, The Inhumans, share technology and resources. They all now use Communicard technology that works for The Watchtower, The Hall of Justice, Avengers Mansion\, Avengers Tower, The Baxter Building and New Attilan. Most utilize Danger Room tech for training as well. And they work with the Young Justice program, which has Teen Titan, Young Avengers and Champions teams, as well as with the Justice Society Initiative program.

You'll note Squad Leader listings. When the team needs to split, each of them are leader of that team in the field. In the current setup, if they are all on the squad, Cyclops calls the shots first, then Black Canary, then Superman. And if Batman is involved, it's Batman, no matter what the listing says. 8)

The listing below will be updated later as I refine the leadership structure and team leaders. Of course, things will change, so as I decide to switch things up, I'll continue updates.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE JLAXI ELITE:

JLAXI:

Chairperson:

THE JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA:
Co-Chairperson:
Co-Chairperson:

Reserves:

THE JUSTICE LEAGUE:
Chairperson:

JUSTICE LEAGUE INTERNATIONAL:
Chairperson:

THE AVENGERS:
Chairperson:

THE NEW AVENGERS:
Chairperson:

THE US AVENGERS:
Chairperson: Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers)

THE SECRET AVENGERS:
Chairperson:

THE WEST COAST AVENGERS:
Chairperson:

AVENGERS WORLD/JUSTICE LEAGUE UNLIMITED (Reserves):
Last edited by Thorpocalypse on Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thorpocalypse

THE JUSTICE SOCIETY OF AMERICA

Post by Thorpocalypse »

THE JUSTICE SOCIETY OF AMERICA

The legendary team is around on Earth-T1. The how I am still working on, but given more time and sleep, I will define it.

---

THE JUSTICE SOCIETY OF AMERICA:
Chairperson:
Last edited by Thorpocalypse on Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thorpocalypse

S.H.I.E.L.D.

Post by Thorpocalypse »

S.H.I.E.L.D.

S.H.I.E.L.D. (Strategic Homeland Intervention, Enforcement and Logistics Division) is an international peacekeeping, law enforcement, and counter-terrorism agency sanctioned by the United Nations. They are led by a director who reports to the World Security Council made up of members from various nations. Founded to combat technologically advanced threats on world security (specifically the menace of Hydra). Throughout the years, remained on the front lines fighting terrorism and extraterrestrial menaces as an international intelligence agency.

In its original incarnation, S.H.I.E.L.D. stood for 'Supreme Headquarters, International Espionage, Law-enforcement Division', and was a branch of the United States government. Veteran spy and soldier Colonel Nick Fury had set out plans for the organization at some point after World War II, but decided not to act since he felt the U.S. government would deny such a request.[citation needed]

A United Nations-based international group somehow obtained the plans, and presented them to the U.S. government as a viable countermeasure against the nascent threat of Hydra. S.H.I.E.L.D. was subsequently formed without Fury's knowledge.

Fury first realized that his brainchild had been made reality when he was approached by the founders of the group to act as S.H.I.E.L.D.'s Public Director, as his predecessor Rick Stoner had met an untimely end. While Fury acted as the operational head of the agency, he answered to these founders, the Executive Board, whose identities were hidden even from him. Otherwise, Fury was the highest ranking agent in an eight-rank tier.

As director, Colonel Fury took a very active hand in S.H.I.E.L.D. operations, often going into the field himself on their most important missions. Supporting him, aside from the thousands of rank-and-file S.H.I.E.L.D. agents working around the world, were a core group of capable officers. While many agents have worked with Fury and S.H.I.E.L.D., Nick Fury remained as the constant driving force of the organization, earning a reputation as the world’s greatest spy.

In the wake of Nick Fury's Secret War in Latveria, he was removed from the directorship and forced into hiding. His replacement was not one of his close associates in the high ranks, but a newcomer, Commander Maria Hill. Her appointment by the U.S. president was meant to ensure S.H.I.E.L.D. bias towards American interests, and her lack of connection to the superhero community was meant to keep S.H.I.E.L.D. from aiding them. This came to the fore when S.H.I.E.L.D. units nicknamed 'Cape-Killers' were tasked with enforcing the Superhuman Registration Act. Just prior to the Civil War, Captain America estimated that there were 3,000 S.H.I.E.L.D. agents on active duty.

Towards the end of that conflict, Commander Hill decided that she had been made Executive Director so that she would fail. She proposed that Tony Stark take the job, with her as deputy director. After the victory of his Pro-Registration superhero unit, he accepted the appointment.

Over the years, S.H.I.E.L.D. was involved in many conflicts with their primary foe, HYDRA. A few years ago, HYDRA was able to successfully infiltrate much of S.H.I.E.L.D.’s infrastructure, leading to the dismantling of the organization. But Fury and others continued to operate off the grid and after the fall of Norman Osborn’s HAMMER organization, SHIELD was reinstated with Steve Rogers, now installed in Osborn's position by the U.S. president, in charge of rebuilding S.H.I.E.L.D. Steve Rogers rebuilt S.H.I.E.L.D. from the ground up with agents who could be trusted, building a new Helicarrier and giving Daisy Johnson directorship. After director Daisy Johnson broke the protocols by sending the Secret Avengers to kill A.I.M. leader Andrew Forson, Quake was suspended indefinitely and Nick Fury was put in charge of S.H.I.E.L.D. once more.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIRECTOR:
DEPUTY DIRECTOR:

Agents:
Last edited by Thorpocalypse on Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thorpocalypse

A.I.M.

Post by Thorpocalypse »

A.I.M.

Advanced Idea Mechanics--- an organized group of international science-terrorists. You know, like one of those Japanese techno-apocalypse cults? They recruit the kinda brilliant geeks and brainy outsiders who want revenge for not getting any booty... - Wolverine

Advanced Idea Mechanics (A.I.M.) is a privately funded think tank organized a group of brilliant scientists whose sole dedication was to acquire and develop power through technological means, that would overthrow the governments of the world. They to supply arms and technology to radicals and subversive organizations in order to foster a violent technological revolution of society while making a profit.[2] Based from A.I.M. Island, their legal operations include the Targo Corporation, International Data Integration and Control (IDIC), Cadenza Industries, Koenig and Strey, Omnitech and Pacific Vista Laboratories.[citation needed] The leader of the organization has changed many times of the years but are always given the title Scientist Supreme. Throughout the years, there have been several splinter groups because of diverging agendas.

More recently, A.I.M. went seemingly legitimate, creating an internationally-recognized government on Barbuda, now known was the A.I.M. Island. Gaining diplomatic immunity which allowed them to grow bigger.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A.I.M. HIGH COUNCIL:
Scientist Supreme:
The Minister of Science:
The Minister of Health:
The Minister of Public Affairs:
The Minister of Education:
The Minister of Defense:
The Minister of State:
Last edited by Thorpocalypse on Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thorpocalypse

HYDRA

Post by Thorpocalypse »

HYDRA:

Before the evolution of mankind, a cabal of immortal hooded reptoids came to Earth, planning to start a legacy of evil. Millions of years later, they corrupted an Asian secret society of geniuses known as the Brotherhood of the Spear, which resulted in that group being called "the Beast" by the Brotherhood of the Shield. The corrupted Brotherhood of the Spear spread out, ingraining itself like a multi-headed serpent into all facets of human society, from science to magic and politics. As time wore on, the organization's name changed and it included the Cathari sect as well as the Thule Society. The Nazi sub group, funded by the Thule Society, was brought into the main Hydra fold after the end of World War II.

One of the Nazi members, Baron Wolfgang von Strucker, quickly seized control of the Hydra organization and restructured it to be dedicated to world domination through terrorist and subversive activities on various fronts, resulting in a neo-fascist New World Order. To this end, Baron Strucker used his personal fortune, based on his recovered hoard of Nazi plunder from World War II, and funds established by the original leaders of the Japanese secret society that became part of the old Hydra. However, after Strucker's first death, Hydra broke into factions (such as AIM, Secret Empire, Them, etc.) that each adopted its own reorganized modus operandi. Eventually, this fragmentation would lead to a Hydra civil war, even after Strucker's resurrection.

According to the files discovered by Nick Fury, Hydra is split into four independent sectors: International Corporations (fronts created using a legitimate business to conceal illicit activities), Government Assets (Individuals within the chain of command. Long-term resources that benefit from the minimal turnover inherent in bureaucracies), Global Criminal Groups (Subsidiary organizations created for short-term goals. Also used to deflect unwanted interest from the global law enforcement community), and Intelligence Gathering (S.H.I.E.L.D. and all their underlying resources). Hydra regards S.H.I.E.L.D. as their "most valuable proactive intelligence asset" while its Government Assets include the US Department of Treasury, FBI, and NSA as well as the Canadian Security Intelligence Service and the GRU and SVR of Russia.

Nick Fury theorized that his previous successes against Hydra were either feints to make him believe that he was making headway against the group or manipulation by Hydra to eliminate any possible competition or possible rogue sub-organizations.

In the aftermath of the Secret Invasion and Baron Strucker's second death, there followed a series of power struggles which eventually left Hydra without a formal leader. The splintering of Hydra accelerated, with various cells operating seemingly independently. Eventually, the Red Skull, returning to his Nazi beliefs, started building a new Hydra from the ground up. However, this brought him into conflict with Baron Zemo, who was trying to control what was left of the old Hydra. Zemo was able to gain the upper hand when he allied with Codename: Bravo and an again resurrected Baron Strucker to bring Bravo’s wife, Queen Hydra, from the alternate universe of Nowhere to take over leadership of Hydra, with Bravo, Baron Strucker and Baron Zemo as her high council. The Red Skull left to form his own cabal, The Red Reich.
Thorpocalypse

OVERWATCH

Post by Thorpocalypse »

OVERWATCH:

For a brief period after the Thorpocalypse, humanity was graced with a golden age of technology, peace and exploration. On the exploration front, humans built the Horizon Lunar Colony. Their focus on the exploration of space, but also an active research facility. It was manned by a league of scientists and genetically engineered gorillas were there to test the effects of prolonged habitation in space.

One of the biggest breakthroughs in the world was the development of omnics, robots with advanced artificial intelligence. Omnics were a leading force in bolstering global manufacturing efforts and key in creating economic equality around the world. The robots driven by these AIs became ubiquitous. The world built large facilities called omniums in every major cultural center to churn them out.

Disaster came when the Horizon Lunar Base and its population of hyper intelligent gorillas revolted. The gorillas killed all the scientists on the base and all but one of the gorillas maintained their hostility. Around the same time, something happened to the world's omnium facilities, putting the world into crisis.

The Omnic Crisis was an event that threatened the stability of the entire world. While the actual cause of the crisis is yet unknown, we know that that the world's omniums began producing hostile omnics. All at once, each omnium independently started producing violent robots, many of them being Bastion units. Omniums created Bastion units specifically for combat and were the main force of the Omnic Crisis.

All around the world, omnics that once helped the world become a stable society turned and attacked mankind. To respond to this threat, the United Nations formed Overwatch, a task force of soldiers and scientists. In its early days, Overwatch was led by Gabriel Reyes and Jack Morrison, with Reyes initially at the helm. But Morrison’s proficiency on the battlefield helped him take control of the group from Reyes soon after. No longer in command of Overwatch, Reyes took control of Blackwatch, its covert operations unit.

The Omnic Crisis exposed many other capable individuals. Among them were climate scientist Mei-Ling Zhou, former gang member and expert marksman Jesse McCree and German juggernaut Reinhardt Wilhelm. After the end of the Omnic Crisis, Overwatch helped maintained order and peace. It was an era of heroism that lasted for over a decade. Their influence on society was so strong that anyone born during their golden age was called "The Overwatch Generation."

While Overwatch's era of peace and heroism lasted for some time, their fall came suddenly and ended with a bang. Infighting between Reyes and Morrison ran parallel with accusations of uncharacteristically corrupt behavior. In the midst of a United Nations investigation, fighting broke out at Overwatch's headquarters, destroying the facility and presumably taking Reyes and Morrison with it. These events, including the signing of the Petras Act, a document stating that any Overwatch related activity was illegal, finally forced Overwatch to disband.

Overwatch, corporations have started to take over, fighting and terrorism have broken out in parts of the globe, and there are signs of a second Omnic Crisis occurring in Russia. Thus it is also revealed that Reyes and Morrison were not killed in the explosion, that, in fact, was the result of a battle between them: Morrison became a masked vigilante known as "Soldier: 76", who is trying to uncover the reasons why Overwatch was shut down; while Reyes joined the criminal organization Talon and became "Reaper", a terrorist disguised as Death. A former member of Overwatch, the intelligent gorilla Winston, decides to begin reforming Overwatch to protect the peace once again despite the Petras Act, with the team members recruiting old friends and gaining new allies in their fight.

---

OVERWATCH:

Allies:

TALON:
Leader:

NULL SECTOR:

THE DEADLOCK GANG:
Last edited by Thorpocalypse on Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: The Thorpocamultiverse Setting: Overwatch

Post by Ares »

Don't want to derail this thread, but I DO want to say it's nice to see all of this setting goodness in one place. And reading through those Overwatch builds reminded me of that Cobra / Serpent Society / Talon / Venom idea. And that awesome picture of Brigitte. And it's pretty topical given Overwatch 2 was just announced with an awesome video to boot.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.