Small Town Heroes (IC)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Hawk

Re: Small Town Heroes (IC)

Post by Hawk »

John WhiteEagle: LAKOTA
HP: 1

John begins his test, working through the questions in a methodical manner, giving the questions his full attention. When he finishes he places his pencil down on his desk.

When he hears Vil ask him how He did, John replies." On part of it I did o.k., but the other part I would say only so-so. I guess this will tell them how to taylor the curriculum to the individual student.How about you?" John waits on Vils answer.

INSIGHT:Insight:1D20+2=[13]+2=15

INVESTIGATION:Investigation:1D20+3=[8]+3=11
MrTweedy

Post by MrTweedy »

With the exam complete, Mr Pemberly clears his throat as he looks around the room. 'Ok everyone, you've all done well so far, and this will be the last part of todays examination. Don't worry, it's not really a test this time. I need everyone to please wait outside of the gym, and then for you to come in here one at a time".

With a rumble of confusion the students slowly stand up and begin to shuffle towards the exit. No one seemed sure of what was happening, there was no indication of what was about to occur. Stood outside in the corridor, no one seemed to want to go first.

Eventually, as the students began to go in one by one, they were met with the quiet of the gym. Waiting at the end was the TA and the elderly woman sat at the far end. As the student approaches Mr Pemberly would gesture for them to take a seat at one of the desks still out from the exam.

"So what's happening here is just a quick chance to talk without the other students here" he explains. One thing that is often overlooked with superhero's, is mindset. Just because someone has power does not mean that they should be a hero. We would like to know why you want to be a hero, what you hope to achieve from being here?"
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Sarah doesn't hesitate to go into the test as soon as possible. She wants to get out of her stupid hero form. When asked to take a seat, she says, "I'll use the same desk as before so you won't have to clean another desk of my dust."
"So what's happening here is just a quick chance to talk without the other students here" he explains. One thing that is often overlooked with superhero's, is mindset. Just because someone has power does not mean that they should be a hero. We would like to know why you want to be a hero, what you hope to achieve from being here?"
Sarah is surprised by the question and pauses for a moment before going with the truth. "I don't know that I want to be a hero. I want to be normal. But that option is denied to me." She shifts forms from clay to normal and back again a couple times. "I have no control over what I look like right now," she says in the body of dark skinned girl of South American decent. "Did I look like this before? No and I don't have the control to make me look like I did this morning." She reaches into her purse and pulls out a photo of a young girl, blond with pig tails. "That's me. I've not looked like this since the car accident." She shifts again and is replaced by a red-haired freckle-faced girl. "Do I look like her now?" She shifts again into another dark-skinned girl. "How about now? Can you teach me to use my powers and then be me once again afterward? Can you? That's more important to me than whatever I'll be when I grow up.

"Frankly, you are asking a stupid question. What teenager knows what they want to be when they grow up? When you were 14 did you want to be an instructor at a superhero school? When I was 6 I wanted to be a ballerina. When I was 8 I wanted to be a fireman. When I was 10 I wanted to cure cancer. Last year I wanted to be a super model. I had beautiful skin and hair. Now I have every kind of skin and hair, but I can't control it. And you want to know if I want to be a hero? You ask if I want to beat people up for living? What kind of thing is that to ask a teen? I just want to be able to look in a mirror and know what I will see looking back at me when I wake up in the morning. Isn't that more important?" Sarah is still barely managing to hold back tears.
Hawk

Post by Hawk »

John WhiteEagle:LAKOTA
HP:1

John walks into the room and takes a seat. After asking him their question, he pauses and contemplates what his answer is, not what He should say or that they would want to hear, but what it is that He really thinks. "Being a hero is not something that I have really sat and pondered. I first of all want to have good control over my powers. I don't want to accidentally hurt anyone. I haven't thought about fighting anyone on a consistent basis, but I would try to help someone if they were in trouble. Does that adequately answer your question?" Provided there are no more questions, John will exit and hang out with Vil and J.D.

PERSUASION: Persuasion:1D20+4=[18]+4=22
Last edited by Hawk on Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
MrTweedy

Post by MrTweedy »

Mr Pemberly would listen to what Sarah as she went first. The tired, almost bored face that the TA had worn most of the day softens a little. "A lot of students who come here don't have control over their powers. You'd be surprised by how many actually. Truthfully, I don't know if we can teach you to control your power, though we will try. If we cannot, then maybe we can teach how to cope. But no, when I was fourteen I did not plan on being a teacher. I did know that I wanted to help people though". He sighs, looking at the silent older woman before looking back to Sarah. He leans forward a little before speaking in an earnest tone. "We will try to help you Sarah, whether you plan to use your powers when you grow up or not. We can help you learn, but what you learn will be up to you".

As he listens to John he nods along in response. "There is more to being a hero than throwing cars or breaking walls with lasers. I hope that you will learn that while at school here. It's good that you want to learn to control your powers, but I didn't see you struggle with that during the tests? Is there anything else about you powers we should know?
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Maya McKinny (Lifestream / HP: 1)

Maya sits down across the TA and the elderly woman and listens to the explanation of this part of the examination since that's what Maya decided this all was. The school examining each of them, assessing them, gauging their potential.

She considered the question. "Honestly, it sounds thrilling. I mean, I'm just a beach girl at heart, I love speeding inside the curl of a wave, there's nothing else like it. But then I have these powers, and if I could use them for more than just surfing, it seemed to me like being a hero would be the most exciting thing I could do... and my cousin, she looks up to heroes...and to me. My aunt and uncle took me in when I was too young to really remember my parents, I also want to make them proud."
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

MrTweedy wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:30 pm "So what's happening here is just a quick chance to talk without the other students here" he explains. One thing that is often overlooked with superhero's, is mindset. Just because someone has power does not mean that they should be a hero. We would like to know why you want to be a hero, what you hope to achieve from being here?"
JD settles into a desk right in front of the TA and listens attentively. At the question he nods with a deliberate motion as if expecting the question.

"Ma uncle and I have talked a lot about this. I don't know if I'm going into the military after high school, but that's been a considerin' of mine. Ma uncle works at Fort Dix, just North of here, he sees the powered trainees drilling all the time. I dunno, maybe the civil police force will call to me more." He shrugs a ponderous shoulder. "But right now, I'm just learning what it's like to live in the world away from... well, away from people who taught me to hate and fear those like John and Vil and Maya and Joseph and all. I have a lot to learn and unlearn and I should probably start with that, Sir."
"Something pithy this way comes."
CaptainKaulu

Post by CaptainKaulu »

Vil Grumych Granit
Luck (Inspiration): 3; HP: 1
Condition: apprehensive

MrTweedy wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:30 pm"So what's happening here is just a quick chance to talk without the other students here" he explains. One thing that is often overlooked with superhero's, is mindset. Just because someone has power does not mean that they should be a hero. We would like to know why you want to be a hero, what you hope to achieve from being here?"
"I dunno," says Vil. "I mean, Papa and Mama want me to have better life than they have had. That's why they came to Amerika. And they say that starts with ed-u-ca-tion. And I wouldn't exactly fit in a normal school, you know?" He blinks. "But being a hero ... I haven't thought about it that much." Pause. "But I guess for me it would be about pro-tect-ing. I have the natural strength to protect others. Even other heroes. And that can't be a bad thing ... right?"

OOC:
Persuasion: 1d20+1 8
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

AJ Sullivan
HP: 1; LP: 0; Condition: Normal

Aj was one of the last students ushered into what was hopefully the final test- at least for today... She spend most of her waiting time going over the previous tests in her head, trying to figure out how she could have done better. And, of course, wondering about what was next, and imagining all kinds of test scenarios, each more complicated that the last.

When it was finally her turn, she shuffled into the room, dragging her backpack along behind her. She brightened a bit when she saw the desks, and that the other students weren't waiting for her- it was only Pemberly and the other woman, and AJ had always dealt with adult better than with other kids her age. She sat down at the desk, making sure to sit up straight and look attentive. When Pemberly asked the questions, AJ smiled broadly.

"I haven't really thought about the whole hero thing all that much, at least not yet. I mean, we've talked about it at home, but I only just got my powers back at the beginning of summer, so most of the talking has been about more immediate concerns- like what school I was going to go to and all that... But I've always wanted to help people out, make the world a better place. Even when I was little I wanted to be a firefighter or a cop or something, a job where I could save people. My mom and dad, a lot of my family, they've all been in the military, serving our country, so I heard about that a lot. Lately though, 'specially the last few years in school, when I've been learning about science, I've been thinking about engineering, or maybe physics- energy research and stuff. But I didn't really think about being a superhero, not really. Not until THIS happened," she said, waving one hand through the air with a trail of silvery light.

"As far as want I want to achieve, it is mostly the obvious stuff. I mean, my powers are pretty new- I want to learn what I can do, and how to use them properly. At the very least, even if I go into some other career, I want to get my certifications and licenses and stuff, so that I can help out when I need to. And if it turns out that my powers work the right way and all, I'd love to be a real hero someday..."

>OOC:
-Persuasion 1d20+2= 16
-Roll: https://orokos.com/roll/769332
Hawk

Post by Hawk »

MrTweedy wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:40 am Mr Pemberly
As he listens to John he nods along in response. "There is more to being a hero than throwing cars or breaking walls with lasers. I hope that you will learn that while at school here. It's good that you want to learn to control your powers, but I didn't see you struggle with that during the tests? Is there anything else about you powers we should know?
It isn't anything in particular about my powers, it is just that I worry about accidentally hurting someone. That would be something that would upset me."
MrTweedy

Post by MrTweedy »

The TA makes a note as he listens to John before nodding. "It's a valid concern, but don't worry. We will be able to help you control your power as you learn here".

Mr Pemberly nods encouragingly to Maya's words. "A lot of students want to become heroes for the excitement, the thrill of adventure. Even some adults remain as heroes because of it. It is important to remember that there is more to being a hero than that though". He would pause as he listens to the second half of the what Maya had to to say. "Acting as someone to look up at, that's a job for all heroes, it's good that you've thought of that. I think you will do well here".

Listening to JD carefully, the TA looks a little surprised at the mention of the military. "I do know some of the students from here and other schools join the army after graduation. It can be a great way to help people, serve your country. You have to be careful though, it can be a slippery slope to have powers and that kind of a job". His tone was serious, clearly meaning what he said.

Nodding to Vil as he makes his statement, Mr Pemberly can be seen writing something down as he speaks. "Well, I know a lot of the heroes that get private contracts can make a lot of money. Makin money isn't all there is to being a hero though. As you said, protecting others is important. Some people would say it's more important than money". At that, Pemberly would offer the troll a smile. "That's not for me to decide though. You need to figure out what kind of hero you will be, if you choose to be a hero".

As Aj finally entered the room, she would see the TA stifle a yawn as he looks around the room. He looked more tired than when he had begun the day. Still, it was almost over. "Helping people is good" he would confirm to the student. "Well, from what we've seen in the testing, you have a strong power, and we can teach you how to best use it here. If you do choose to be a hero, we can help with that as well".

As the final student walks out of the room, Mr Pemberly follows them out into the corridor. "Ok, I'm sure you'll all be very happy to hear, that this is the end of the testing. The results will be posted up tomorrow in the reception, along with who you will be teamed up with during your training. Be sure to check this when you come in tomorrow. If you have any questions, you can let the reception staff know. I know it has been a long day, and it is nearly home time after all this, but there is one thing left for you. If you can all follow me, I'll take you to the main hall".

With that Mr Pemberly leads the freshmen down the grubby corridors of the school towards the main hall. It was a large room, the floor sunken a little with steps leading into it. The floor was make of slats of dark wood, the walls painted a fairly unpleasant cream colour. Filling the floor were the plastic chairs found in most schools, and at the far end was a stage with red curtains drawn back. Mr Pemberly gestures of the other students to take a seat.
Hawk

Post by Hawk »

John makes his way to an open area of seats, and upon seeing Vil and J.D., he motions for them to sit next to him. When he finally lays eyes upon Alicia, he motions for her to sit with them as well.

Whichever one of those that joined him, John would take the opportunity to ask them..."So.....,how do you think that you did?"
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

MrTweedy wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:20 pm Listening to JD carefully, the TA looks a little surprised at the mention of the military. "I do know some of the students from here and other schools join the army after graduation. It can be a great way to help people, serve your country. You have to be careful though, it can be a slippery slope to have powers and that kind of a job". His tone was serious, clearly meaning what he said.
"Well, I want to help people, but the laws are such that the use of deadly powers without authority of some kind is... not good." JD says. "I mean, no disrespect, Sir. I guess we have a lot of time to figure that out."
CaptainKaulu

Post by CaptainKaulu »

Vil Grumych Granit
Luck (Inspiration): 3; HP: 1
Condition: tired

Vil sits next to John, gingerly, worrying about whether the plastic chair will hold his weight. "I think I only did so-so," he answers John. "Paper tests are hard, and I couldn't even get through J.D.'s rock shield before they called the fight. That should have been my finest moment."
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

JD

JD was grateful to join the other students.

"Yeah, sorry about that." JD apologizes sincerely. "You shrugged off the stone Anvil like it was nothing, though. That's gotta count for somethin', Vil." JD reassures.

"I don't think I hit anyone during dodgeball." JD says glumly. "But, honestly, I don't know how I did on any of the tests."