Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Jab’s Builds! (King! Terry Bogard! Andy! Mai Shiranui!)

Post by Ares »

Woodclaw wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:31 pm
Ares wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:47 pm Joe was fun, and the anime did a decent job of making him funny comic relief, extremely cocky and arrogant, but also capable of being serious when the moment required. He was confident enough to challenge Krauser, and even while getting his ass kicked he never backed down, even impressing Krauser a bit with his tenacity before he finally went down. His hurricane attacks often made for great visuals, as in one anime he did this wicked move where he uppercut one guy, and a tornado whipped up around the punch, launching the guy into the air violently. He was someone who played off well with the others, especially since he was frequently partnered with Andy, where they had a very "Ryu and Ken" dynamic. Terry served as a kind of moderating balance between the two, being less dour and serious than Andy but less brash and cocky than Joe, which explains why he was the leader of the crew.
BAck in the day the the Fatal Fury OAV were kind of guilty pleasure. In general they were extremely well done and the writers actually did a masterful job to integrate the fights organically into the story, not to mention giving some well defined personalities without limiting themselves to the source material.
My brothers and I really enjoyed those films. One thing we noted in the Movie was that, despite Terry getting to be the one to save the day in the end, Andy came off looking pretty good. He was the one who got the girl, and he had two killer entrances where he saved day. The first time was when he got his rematch with the wind user on the bad guy's team, and the second time when he saved Terry from the big bad. My younger brother and I always really liked that scene, since Terry was my favorite character and Andy was his, so in some ways we looked at it as my little brother helping me out.

Plus it was just a cool moment. Terry's on his knees, bleeding through his teeth at the beating he just took, the big bad is monologuing and getting ready to land the final attack, when this blue energy blast comes from off screen and slams into the big bad's personal force field, getting his attention. Glancing in the direction of the attack, the big bad sees Andy standing there in his "I just threw a fireball" pose, giving the big bad a death glare.

"You leave him alone."

Just something about that delivery was awesome, as was Andy following it by immediately engaging a bonafide demi-god in battle. Awesome moment.

And hey, I found a video clip of it!

https://youtu.be/B-fokJ34-eo?t=320
Ares wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:47 pm But yeah, Joe showed how you could do a Muay Thai fighter and keep him unique, rather than being any of a number of clones of Sagat. It makes sense that Andy would be more versatile than Joe, given Joe is basically "only" a professional fighter while Andy was basically trained to be a ninja AND a fighter.
Funny that you mention Sagat, since in one of the Capcom vs SNK games, Joe and Sagat actually had a special intro to the match.
I remember that! That game had some fun intros, like Ken tossing Terry's hat to him before the fight.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Terry & Andy Bogard! Mai Shiranui! Joe Higashi!)

Post by Ares »

Actually, it turns out all three of the anime films are on youtube.

Fatal Fury 1 - https://youtu.be/cyGJ5_janc0
Fatal Fury 2 - https://youtu.be/BTLMLbldqRY
Fatal Fury the Motion Picture - https://youtu.be/Jr1kHLhgh7A?t=1
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Richard Meyer

Post by Jabroniville »

RICHARD MEYER
First Appearance:
Fatal Fury (1991)
Game Appearances: Fatal Fury 1, King of Fighters: Maximum Impact
Role: Forgotten Character, Dance Battler
PL 7 (103)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 8 (+13)
Athletics 10 (+12)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+10)
Expertise (Martial Arts) 3 (+4)
Expertise (Bar Owner) 8 (+9)
Expertise (Dancing) 4 (+7)
Insight 2 (+3)
Persuasion 3 (+6)

Advantages:
Defensive Attack, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Critical (Helicopter Kick), Improved Critical (Spinning Cartwheel Kick)

SNK Fighting Style: Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Defensive Roll, Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab, Improved Defense, Improved Hold, Improved Trip (Throw), Power Attack, Takedown, Withstand Damage (Block)

Powers:
"Martial Artist" Strength-Damage +1 [1]

"Helicopter Kick" Strength-Damage +0 (Extras: Multiattack 3) (Flaws: Distracting) Linked to Affliction 3 (Toughness; Dazed & Vulnerable/Stunned & Defenseless) (Extras: Extra Condition) (Flaws: Limited Degree) (5) -- [6]
  • AE: "Spinning Cartwheel Kick" Strength-Damage +2 (Inaccurate -1) (1)
Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +2 (+3 D.Roll), Fortitude +5, Will +3

Complications:
Responsibility (The Pao Pao Cafe)
Weakness (Predictability)- SNK Characters cannot simply "spam" out the same attack over and over again, as the opponent will expect the attacks, and be ready for them (and a counterattack). The third time they try the same technique (or same combo of techniques) in a short span, they will be at -2 to Accuracy, AND to his Active Defenses in that round. All will decrease by 2 every successive round the same move is done.

Total: Abilities: 50 / Skills: 40--20 / Advantages: 4 + 11 / Powers: 7 / Defenses: 11 (103)

-Richard Meyer is one of those guys SNK called a "Mulligan" on immediately, dropping him after the first Fatal Fury game. He's a Capoeira-using Cafe owner who keeps the ruffians out by beating them up, and joined the tournament to help promote it- alas, he was defeated by the Lonely Wolves (or at least one of the trio). Nonetheless, he ended up hosting many other fighters at his Cafe, retiring after the first tournament- it's the backdrop to many Fury-related events in Southtown. Richard ended up training Bob Wilson in Capoeira as well, much like how Michael Max begat Axel Hawk. Though amusingly, he was brought back out of the mothballs for a shock appearance in the 3-D fighter King of Fighters: Maximum Impact!

-Like Max, he's only PL 6.5- retiring after ONE TOURNAMENT makes you a low-tier guy indeed. His moves are a bit weird, and have that Capoeira thing where it's Dancing/Fighting, meant to throw you off because stuff comes out weirdly- he can be upside-down and throw out repeated kicks, for example. A repeat-hitting upside-down kick, and a wide-arc Cartwheel Kick are his big moves. But ultimately, he's still a Jobber- he's a very good fighter, but not ELITE MARTIAL ARTIST good, ya know?
Jabroniville

Bob Wilson

Post by Jabroniville »

BOB WILSON
First Appearance:
Fatal Fury 3 (1995)
Game Appearances: Fatal Fury 3, RB Fatal Fury 1, Special, 2 & DM (71% of series since his debut)
Role: Replacement Character (for Meyer), Dance Battler
PL 8 (103)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 8 (+13)
Athletics 10 (+12)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 3 (+12)
Expertise (Martial Arts) 3 (+4)
Expertise (Bar Owner) 4 (+5)
Expertise (Dancing) 5 (+8)
Insight 2 (+3)
Persuasion 3 (+6)

Advantages:
Defensive Attack, Improved Critical (Unarmed, Special Moves) 2

SNK Fighting Style: Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Defensive Roll, Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab, Improved Defense, Improved Hold, Improved Trip (Throw), Power Attack, Takedown, Withstand Damage (Block)

Powers:

"Helicopter Kick" Strength-Damage +0 (Extras: Multiattack 3) (Flaws: Distracting) Linked to Affliction 3 (Toughness; Dazed & Vulnerable/Stunned & Defenseless) (Extras: Extra Condition) (Flaws: Limited Degree) (5) -- [6]
  • AE: "Special Move" Strength-Damage +2 (Inaccurate -1) (1)
Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Spin Kick +11 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +2 (+3 D.Roll), Fortitude +5, Will +4

Complications:
Responsibility (The Pao Pao Cafe)
Weakness (Predictability)- SNK Characters cannot simply "spam" out the same attack over and over again, as the opponent will expect the attacks, and be ready for them (and a counterattack). The third time they try the same technique (or same combo of techniques) in a short span, they will be at -2 to Accuracy, AND to his Active Defenses in that round. All will decrease by 2 every successive round the same move is done.

Total: Abilities: 52 / Skills: 38--19 / Advantages: 3 + 11 / Powers: 4 / Defenses: 14 (103)

-Bob is your standard "Smiling Black Guy", that type of character seen in a lot of Japanese-based stuff, and replaced Richard Meyer as the Dance-Battlin' Capoeira Guy. Capoeira is as pretty cool-looking style that involves dancing more than combat (you'll not find many of them in practical martial arts, though of course the physical conditioning matters just as much to a real fight as your "style"), which makes it IDEAL for the Exaggerated Martial Arts world of video games & comic books. I mean, you shouldn't do a lot of spinny crap or kicks above the waist in a real fight, but in the world of media? Why NOT do a Flying Upside-Down Split-Legged Kick on a bitch?

-Bob was trained by Meyer himself, witnessing him try and fail in the Southtown "King of Fighters" tournament. He joins the fight in Fatal Fury 3 (Richard never even made the second game), trying to fight the Jin Twins for blowing up Richard's Pao Pao Cafe 2, and shows up in every later game except for the 3D one and Garou, but never makes the leap into the King of Fighters series- his design was just too bland, and he had nothing much going for him.

-Bob is better overall than Richard by a ways, as he lasted well into the Fatal Fury series, despite never becoming that big of a deal.
Arkrite

Re: Mai Shiranui

Post by Arkrite »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:35 pm -After I built this, but before posting, Mai actually hit a level of mainstream video gaming recognition she hasn't had since I was barely old enough to jerk it- she was specifically mentioned by the Super Smash Bros. developer as someone who wasn't going to be showing up in the series. This was pretty reasonable- she's pretty much JUST a "Titty" character and lives for that purpose, and these games are primarily for young children- but the fans took this as an opportunity for gags about Mai's busty self crying for attention and demanding a position in the game.

So I'm calling silly nonsense on that.
I mean, yes, Mai is a highly sexualized character, and that has done very well for the franchise. Say what you will, that stuff sells.

But saying that they won't have her in the game BECAUSE of this is silly, and comes off like them trying to sound prim and proper for the purpose of making sure people hear them sounding prim and proper.

Yes, I do know there is a term for this. No, I'm not going to use it.

Now I have a couple reasons for feeling this way. The first is Samus Aran.

Samus was quite possibly their first heroic female characters, and barring a special ending for a game, she wasn't a sexualized character. She wears a giant suit of armor, one that actually looks like it would protect a person. It was commendable, I liked pointing to Samus and saying "Hey, there's a character who doesn't need to be pretty eye candy to be awesome."

And then they stripped off her armor and brought out the "Zero suit". For those of you who's never seen it....

The armor

The spande- err, Zero Suit.

So, okay, maybe I can shrug that off. It was originally created for a gameboy game, so probably less intent to titillate. But they still included it in smash when it doesn't seem like they needed to. Screams like an attempt to give a little fanservice in a game that normally doesn't allow for it.

And then they did this.

Now those aren't high heels. Those are "Jet Boots". They exist nowhere else in any of the series, they were created for Smash Bros.

Now, do you know what the purpose of high heels are?
Because most women I know, specifically the women who wear them more than most, don't know what the purpose of high heels are.

Generally the only benefit to women's high heel shoes is that they make you look taller, and they accentuate your leg muscles and to a degree the posterior.
The butt.

And unless you are a superhero; trying to do anything other than walk slowly in high heels is a great way to hurt yourself. Heck, long term problems can come from just wearing them long term.
But I'm getting distracted from the point.

The point is that the bad ass mercenary is now wearing spandex and sky high heels. This doesn't scream the outfit of a bad ass space mercenary to me, this scream "sex appeal".

And then they include Bayonetta.

Okay, honest talk, I suspect the included Bayonetta simply because she's one of the few high profile exclusives that Nintendo has at the moment. Bayonetta 1 was on multiple consoles, but Bayonetta 2 is a Nintendo exclusive.

And Bayonetta... well, she's super sexualized. She wears skin tight clothes that disappear as she uses her special attacks (because her clothing is actually just her hair, which she uses to make attacks), she makes suggestive comments, she walks... uh... provocatively, Image

Her power ups are lollipops and, yes, they tend to lean into that as well.

Basically Bayonetta is a sexy woman who knows it, flaunts it, and owns it.
The funny part is that while I was expecting her to get a lot of flack over the hypersexualized nature from the ladies... a lot of women see her as an empowering figure. Is she sexy? Yes. But she's also powerful and confident.

I've yet to meet anybody who wouldn't want to be good looking, powerful and confident. ;~)

So... yeah, Mai.
Honestly the ONLY thing they need to do to make Mai an acceptable character? Black leotard under her outfit. Something with black leggings, as well as sleeves, and boom. She's showing almost no skin, panty shots are impossible, and ironically she'll now be wearing more than Samus and Bayonetta.
And if you're worried about the boobies... surprise, don't give her jiggly animations.

Honestly there's no reason why Nintendo couldn't include Mai with a slight costume change. But it sounds like they're too busy patting themselves on the back and cutting out the busty chick.

Silly Mai, putting on clothes isn't going to save the children from your rampant sexuality! ;~)
Jabroniville wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:35 pm Complications:
Relationship (Andy Bogard)- They're going to be married. Andy just doesn't know it yet.
So... I'm going to go there.
Is Andy asexual?
I mean, it's okay to not find Mai sexually attractive. That's okay, man. Maybe you do like women but you prefer something chunkier. Or more petite. Or male. Nobody's judging.
Except for that part where I'm judging you for not being interested. But that's because you need to let her know you're not interested, man. You're just hurting her in the long run!
Seriously, you don't have to be in a relationship with her if you don't want, but be honest with her.

I get it, it's a japanese trope, lots of characters wind up in this situation, but boy does it not translate very well to American culture where the general response is "Wait, this drop dead gorgeous woman... whom you have feelings for... wants to be with you and you're refusing. For no apparent reason."

Right up there with all of the characters who experience deep existential crises when they don't know their purpose in the universe.
Meanwhile in america the same character would take out his frustrations on the bad guy. (Or if you're the main character in Tales of Vesperia.)
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

With Mai, apparently it doesn't matter if the ladies in question are wearing skintight clothing that leave little to the imagination, the censor boards care about exposed skin and panty shots. Which Mai has in abundance compared to every other lady in Smash. It's stupid, sure, but that's their logic. I wonder if this means we'll never get Chun-Li now, unless that skirt of hers works overtime.

As for Andy, I believe the official reason in the games is that Andy is dedicated to his training because he wants to be able to beat Terry someday, and a relationship with Mai would be a distraction. Plus, as Micky from Rocky implies "Women. Weaken. Legs!" So Andy is basically waiting until after he's truly mastered his art to get into a relationship with Mai. And to be fair, they're both just in their early-to-mid 20s.

There's also some debate that since Andy grew up training in Mai's household, and thus with a younger Mai, he initially sees her as more of a little sister. So her being all grown up and having the hots from him is initially a hit to his worldview.

It's mostly intended just to be played for comedy, the idea that a guy would have this ultra-hot girl just throwing herself at him and he's stoically resistant for reasons. It's also suppose to be kind of a juxtaposition where Andy (the American) is acting like like a sterotypical Japanese man, while Mai (actually Japanese) is acting more like a lust crazed 'American' girl.

Still, given Andy's personality you can kind of see his reasoning. He's a very Ryu "I want to be the best" type, only he has the constant reminder that his brother is still the better fighter, and thus trains even harder to try and catch up. So he's got this goal he's focused on, he trains constantly, he initially views Mai as more of a little sister, and he doesn't have the time or energy to split between them. It's like the young guy who opts to go to college and focus on his career first, rather than immediately marrying his childhood sweetheart.

Now, the anime at least made this not last quite so long, and it was clear that Andy DID have feelings for Mai, he's just awkward around her because he doesn't know HOW to express himself, and wants to be a proper Japanese gentleman. But there it's more playful than annoying, and Andy does finally just embrace Mai and they connect.

With Mai, I think part of the attraction to Andy is that he DOESN'T just immediately fall for her the way other men do, he actually treats her with respect, he's nice to her without expecting sex, and he doesn't drool at her no matter what she does. Problem being that she's so used to having men fall for her that she uses tactics to get his attention that would work on most other guys but Andy.

So if you put enough thought into it, it can make for a kind of cute, funny and awkward relationship about two people who are into each other, don't know how to show it in a way the other person easily understands, and at least one of them has some goal that gets in the way of things.

Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Arkrite wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:25 pm So I'm calling silly nonsense on that.
I mean, yes, Mai is a highly sexualized character, and that has done very well for the franchise. Say what you will, that stuff sells.

But saying that they won't have her in the game BECAUSE of this is silly, and comes off like them trying to sound prim and proper for the purpose of making sure people hear them sounding prim and proper.
Hot-Diggity-Damn! An actual DEBATE that can sprout up in my thread! Excellent :)!

Well-argued, really. I believe "skin-tight spandex" is not included for reasons Ares mentioned, and because, well, a lot of people dress like that. Mai being okay, while BAYONETTA is included is definitely hypocritical of them, and apparently just a quirk of their censorship board, as Ares pointed out. Though it seems the creator just said "well this game has a lot of kids for fans", ignoring Baynoetta... probably because there's a lot of money in her being in the game. If Mai was the tippy-top character in a popular game series, there'd probably be exceptions made. Does Bayonetta do all the "my hair-clothes turn me nude if I use lots of my powers" stuff in this game, too?

Is Samus always in the Zero Suit in Smash Bros.? Or is that an alternate costume? Because if that's her ONLY GEAR, then yeah- they're aiming for faps in a game they claim is all-ages.

The Andy thing is... yeah, like you said, Typical Anime Tropes looking very weird to Western audiences, especially without as much internalized narration as you'd get in a full manga or anime. He doesn't even do the "I see you as a SISTER!" stuff, or "I want to FIND MYSELF first!" that I can see- you have to really look for it.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

Zero Suit Samus is a seperate version of Samus on the character select screen in Smash since her moveset is different (since she's restricted to that dinky Paralyzer gun, but it does have a handy electro-whip function in Smash) And strangely enough, in the Japanese version of the presentation, Sakurai (the game's creator) straight upsaid that it was the ratings board that was preventing Mai from being in the game, so I'm guessing the "Smash is for good boys and girls" was a joke invented by the translator.
Jabroniville

Tung Fu Rue

Post by Jabroniville »

TUNG FU RUE- VERSION ONE
First Appearance:
Fatal Fury (1991)
Game Appearances: Fatal Fury 1, Special, Real Bout Special & 2 (50% of series), Neo-Geo Battle Coliseum, King of Fighters XI (PS 2 Version) & XIV (2 of 14 games)
Role: Wise Old Master, Hidden Bad-Ass
PL 8 (126)
STRENGTH
2/5 STAMINA 2/5 AGILITY 5/3
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 5 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 7 (+12)
Athletics 9 (+11)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+12)
Deception 1 (+3)
Expertise (Martial Arts) 10 (+12)
Insight 3 (+8)
Perception 6 (+11)
Ranged Combat (Chi) 8 (+11)

Advantages:
Defensive Attack, Improved Critical (Unarmed) 2, Improved Critical (Multi-Punch), Improved Critical (Energy Beam), Improved Initiative, Ranged Attack, Startle, Takedown

Powers:
"Spinning Fists" Strength-Damage +2 (Extras: Multiattack 4) (Flaws: Distracting) Linked to Affliction 4 (Toughness; Dazed & Vulnerable/Stunned & Defenseless) (Extras: Extra Condition) (Flaws: Limited Degree) (Inaccurate -1) (5) -- [6]
  • AE: "Energy Beam" Blast 4 (Reduced Defenses -2, Diminished Range -1) (3)
"Turns Into a Huge Man" (All Have Flaws: Requires a Semi-Injured Condition, & Wears Off)
Enhanced Strength 3 [3]
Enhanced Stamina 3 [3]
Reduced Fighting -1 [-2]
Reduced Agility -2 [-2]

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Huge Man Strength +10 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Energy Beam +10 (+4 Ranged Damage, DC 19)
Spinning Fists +9 (+4 Damage, DC 19 & 14)
Huge Man Spinning Fists +8 (+6 Damage & +4 Affliction, DC 21 & 14)
Initiative +9 (+7 Old Man)

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (+10 Old Man, DC 22), Parry +12 (+11 Old Man, DC 22-21), Toughness +2 (+3 D.Roll, +5-6 Old Man), Fortitude +5 (+8 Old Man), Will +8

Complications:
Relationship (The Bogards)- Tung Fu was the mentor to Jeff, and also cares for Jeff's sons.

Total: Abilities: 60 / Skills: 46--23 / Advantages: 9 + 11 / Powers: 8 / Defenses: 15 (126)

TUNG FU RUE- VERSION TWO
First Appearance:
Fatal Fury (1991)
Game Appearances: Fatal Fury 1, Special, Real Bout Special & 2 (50% of series), Neo-Geo Battle Coliseum, King of Fighters XI (PS 2 Version) & XIV (2 of 14 games)
Role: Wise Old Master, Hidden Bad-Ass
PL 8 (128)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 5 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 7 (+12)
Athletics 9 (+11)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 4 (+14)
Deception 1 (+3)
Expertise (Martial Arts) 10 (+12)
Insight 3 (+8)
Perception 6 (+11)
Ranged Combat (Chi) 8 (+11)

Advantages:
Defensive Attack, Improved Critical (Unarmed) 2, Improved Critical (Multi-Punch), Improved Critical (Energy Beam), Improved Critical (Old Man Powers), Improved Initiative, Ranged Attack, Startle, Takedown

Powers:
"Spinning Fists" Strength-Damage +2 (Extras: Multiattack 4) (Flaws: Distracting) Linked to Affliction 4 (Toughness; Dazed & Vulnerable/Stunned & Defenseless) (Extras: Extra Condition) (Flaws: Limited Degree) (Inaccurate -1) (5) -- [7]
  • AE: "Energy Beam" Blast 4 (Reduced Defenses -2, Diminished Range -1) (3)
  • AE: "Huge Man Powers" Strength-Damage +4 (Drawbacks: Inaccurate -2) (2)
Offense:
Unarmed +14 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Huge Man Moves +10 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Energy Beam +10 (+4 Ranged Damage, DC 19)
Spinning Fists +12 (+4 Damage & Affliction, DC 19 & 14)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +13 (DC 23), Toughness +2 (+3 D.Roll), Fortitude +5, Will +8

Complications:
Relationship (The Bogards)- Tung Fu was the mentor to Jeff, and also cares for Jeff's sons.

Total: Abilities: 60 / Skills: 48--24 / Advantages: 10 + 11 / Powers: 7 / Defenses: 16 (128)

-One of the earliest Wise Old Masters in Fighting Games, Tung Fu also had the crazy ability to turn into a GIGANTIC RIPPED MONSTER partway through the match- watching this with the other kids at that Ski Lodge that also had the Art of Fighting machine, we were all astounded, and it's the only thing I remember of watching this game being played. Keep in mind we hadn't seen Dragon Ball yet, and this is probably directly inspired by the manga's Master Roshi, who was a shriveled old man with the same ability.

-Tung Fu was the master of Jeff Bogard & Geese Howard (plus Cheng Sinzan, who was kicked out of the school), and entered the first tournament to help Terry (another student of sorts, though Terry learned on his own), and fight Geese. The series would go out of its way to remove him at every available opportunity, however, only to change its mind- he is dropped from Fatal Fury 2, but returns for Special; he's also dropped from FF3, but returns for Real Bout Special.

-And then all of a sudden, after missing gaming for more than a decade, the character turns in Neo*Geo Battle Coliseum along with various other side-characters, and then shows up in TWO King of Fighters games! The most recent version is quite odd, as he centers a brand-new "China Team"... probably in an attempt to kiss ass to the massive Chinese market, as that's become a big thing in modern gaming- appeasing China to make the monies.

-There are two "versions" of how the character works- in the first Fatal Fury, Tung Fu Rue would start out as an old man, but with 25% of his energy down, he would transform into this hulking ripped dude who was crazy-strong and could really lay a whupping down. With 75% gone, he would transform back. This wasn't copied for most later games, which just used him as an old man who would transform in Mid-Move to do more damage, then turn back (probably easier on the graphics engine- the original way basically required a whole new character model!). The first version breaks the mold of fighters (not bad for this early in the concept of Fighting Games), effectively turning into a different fighter, but only for a short while- he's PL 7 normally, but a PL 8 Powerhouse for a short bit (the ready-made Flaw is essentially that he needs to be hurt, like a -3 or Staggered or something, to become the Powerhouse, then it wears off after a few more hits). In the more "standard" version, he's just PL 8 overall, since in the later games everyone steps up in ability.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:45 pm Is Samus always in the Zero Suit in Smash Bros.? Or is that an alternate costume? Because if that's her ONLY GEAR, then yeah- they're aiming for faps in a game they claim is all-ages.
Yes. In all her Smash appearances Samus always wears only the Zero Suit, there's no actual armored skin for her.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

So many Old Martial Arts Masters in Fighting Games seem to also fall under the "Dirty Old Man" archetype, so Tung Fue Rue stands out for not being one, despite being inspired directly by Master Roshi (Incidentially, "Master Roshi" is a pretty poor name translation, and was one of many examples of the dubbers of Dragon Ball being lazy. Like, "Mutenroshi" means "Old Heavenly Martial Arts Master", and by just cutting off part of that title and making it Master Roshi means his name is now.."Master Master". That's just Manos: The Hands of Fate levels of redundant.)
Last edited by KorokoMystia on Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

Woodclaw wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:46 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:45 pm Is Samus always in the Zero Suit in Smash Bros.? Or is that an alternate costume? Because if that's her ONLY GEAR, then yeah- they're aiming for faps in a game they claim is all-ages.
Yes. In all her Smash appearances Samus always wears only the Zero Suit, there's no actual armored skin for her.
That's definitely not true. Image
Jabroniville

Jubei Yamada

Post by Jabroniville »

JUBEI YAMADA
First Appearance:
Fatal Fury 2 (1992)
Game Appearances: Fatal Fury 2 & Special (22% of series)
Role: Wise Old Master
PL 8 (124)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 7 (+12)
Athletics 8 (+10)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 4 (+12)
Expertise (Martial Arts) 8 (+10)
Insight 4 (+8)
Perception 2 (+6)
Persuasion 2 (+5)

Advantages:
Defensive Attack, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Critical (Judo Throws), Improved Critical (Thrown Cracker), Improved Critical (Special Moves), Improved Grab, Ranged Attack 7, Taunt

Powers:
"Judo Master" Power Lifting 2 (800 lbs.) (Flaws: Limited to Human Beings) [1]

"Judo Throws" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: +2 to Hit if Opponent Parried Last Turn) (Inaccurate -1) (2) -- [4]
  • AE: "Throws Crackers" Blast 3 (Reduced Defenses -1, Diminished Range -1, Requires Objects -1) (2)
  • AE: "Special Moves" Strength-Damage +2 (Inaccurate -1) (1)
Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Special Moves +10 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Throw Crackers +11 (+3 Ranged Damage, DC 18)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +2 (+3 D.Roll), Fortitude +5, Will +6

Complications:
Motivation (Excitement)- Jubei is a retired warrior, but can still go if pushed.
Responsibility (Pervert)- He's an old man and this is a Japanese game... ya think?
Relationship (Mai & Andy)- Jubei cares for both young adults, now that they have no elders left.

Total: Abilities: 60 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 14 + 11 / Powers: 6 / Defenses: 15 (124)

-Jubei is one of the blandest "Old Man Characters" I've ever seen, which is probably why he was such a failure in the games- he appears only in Fatal Fury 2 and FF Special- a truly pathetic pedigree. He's a giddy, smiling old man who was once a feared warrior, but is now your standard "can still kick ass at 70" type of guy. He starts training Mai Shiranui at the request of his old friend, her grandfather, once the man adopts Andy as his top student. Alas, Jubei's a tired design as well, basically being some smiling old guy in a gi, with no real "catch" aside from throwing regular objects like a Blast, all Bullseye-style. That and he can throw anyone, regardless of their size, or the fact that he's a 70-year old, five-foot-nothin' dude.

-His role in the story is minor beyond "Trained Mai"- he pesters her like an old pervert constantly, earning a lot of slaps, but only appears for two tournaments before retiring, having watched Terry Bogard defeat Wolfgang Krauser.

-Most of Jubei's moves are Judo Throws, aside from the cracker thing. Appearing in only a couple of games and missing out on the entire Real Bout era, I made him only PL 7.5 overall (one-half lower than my older build). He just proved not to be worthy.
Jabroniville

Duck King

Post by Jabroniville »

"I'm DUCK KING, Baby!! Quack, Quack, Quack, QUACK!"

DUCK KING
First Appearance:
Fatal Fury (1991)
Game Appearances: Fatal Fury, FF Special, RB Fatal Fury 1, 2 & DM, RBFF Special, Wild Ambition (70% of series)), King of Fighters XI (7% of total games)
Role: Comedy Character, Dance Battler
PL 8 (115)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 6
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 6 (+12)
Athletics 10 (+12)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 3 (+13)
Deception 1 (+4)
Expertise (Dancing) 7 (+10)
Expertise (Music) 7 (+10)
Insight 2 (+3)
Persuasion 2 (+5)

Advantages:
Defensive Attack, Evasion, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Critical (Flying Spin Attack), Improved Critical (Rolling Punisher), Improved Critical (Break Spiral)

Powers:

"Rolling Punisher- Multihitting Headspin" Strength-Damage +0 (Extras: Multiattack 3) (Flaws: Distracting) Linked to Affliction 3 (Toughness; Dazed & Vulnerable/Stunned & Defenseless) (Extras: Extra Condition) (Flaws: Limited Degree) (5) -- [7]
  • AE: "Flying Spin Attack" Strength-Damage +2 (Inaccurate -1) (1)
  • AE: "Break Spiral- Foot Toss & Breakdance" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: +2 to Hit if Opponent Parried Last Turn) (Inaccurate -1) (2)
Offense:
Unarmed +13 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Special Moves +11 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +13 (DC 23), Toughness +2 (+3 D.Roll), Fortitude +5, Will +5

Complications:
Motivation (Dancing & Partying)

Total: Abilities: 56 / Skills: 38--19 / Advantages: 6 + 11 / Powers: 8 / Defenses: 15 (115)

-I thought Duck King was the dumbest character ever when I saw Fatal Fury for the first time... something that shames me now, for only as an adult to I understand how awesome this punk-dressing Breakdancer with a knack for waterfowl truly is. Duck King was one of many characters dumped between Fatal Fury and FF 2, but he was almost immediately brought back for the Special upgrade and didn't leave the series again until Garou, as he somehow proved to be a bit of a classic- visually-distinctive and with a bizarre name, you at least REMEMBERED him in a way you wouldn't for "the fat guy" or "the boxer". He was a dancer/fighter type (with Meyer also was, sort of), using a breakdancing style like so many '80s characters did in the years before Fatal Fury came out. He would lose in the first battle to Terry Bogard, but would form a club called "Illusions" with King, and he'd later get invited to Meyer's Pao Pao Cafe 2.

-Duck King was somewhat emblematic of Fatal Fury, because he appeared nowhere else except in backgrounds, until he was included in a shocker for King of Fighters XI, where he got a terrific graphical upgrade and joined the new "Fatal Fury Team" with Terry & Kim! The graphical upgrade took a fairly bland "Early Final Fight Mook" vibe and turned him into a legitimately interesting-looking fighter. Unfortunately, he didn't make any later games.

-A spritely fast guy, Duck has no problem avoiding many attacks, and gets to PL 8 status as a minor-level Fatal Fury character who's above the one-shot losers. He's rather simple in terms of stats, as his specials are kind of just him jumping around quickly, and he's not overly fancy, aside from doing a lot of flips and rolls to get around. Watching playthroughs on YouTube consists largely of him using a Blanka-like rolling attack to end combos, and sometimes hit a spinning trip- both of which would have the same stats. Another version of the Spin actually hits multiple times.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

KorokoMystia wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:16 am
Woodclaw wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:46 pm
That's definitely not true. Image
I stand corrected.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)