Jab's Rifts Builds (Rifts- A Final Summation!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Jab's Rifts Builds (Battle Magus! Lord Magus! High Magus!)

Post by Ares »

The "magical mecha" idea is actually fairly clever, something anime had been doing for a while but was also an easy fit for Rifts. And really, after seeing the success of giant robots, why wouldn't mages go "Oooooh, let me have some of that!" The need to be outside the robot is also kind of interesting, making it an easy way to differentiate the two and give some weaknesses to these powerful magical juggernauts. It kind of reminds me of the Warjacks of the Iron Kingdom.

But yeah, in a weird way this book reminds me of Batman V. Superman, where it was incredibly obvious every time the writers of that movie wanted to address fan complaints about Man of Steel and the fact that the heroes didn't seem to care about collateral damage.

"The giant Doomsday creature has unleashed a massive explosion in the city. Luckily it was Sunday and most of the buildings in that district were empty."

"Doomsday has fallen from back to Earth thanks to our ill-advised nuclear missile. Luckily he landed on an abandoned island off the coast of Gotham City."

"I've got to lead the creature back to the Kryptonite Spear. Luckily that part of Gotham is almost entirely abandoned, so no one will get hurt."

This book is pretty much the same thing, just for magic.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

But yeah, in a weird way this book reminds me of Batman V. Superman, where it was incredibly obvious every time the writers of that movie wanted to address fan complaints about Man of Steel and the fact that the heroes didn't seem to care about collateral damage.
I Honestly always thought those complaints were overblown and ridiculous. they were based on the most ridiculous premise which was that the kryptonian bad guys would actually be stupid enough to follow him.

Whys he running? think he wants to take us away from all these people where he can cut loose?

yeah I think so lets just stay here and well threaten some of these people to distract him.

Cool tosses a few soldiers into the air for fun'

Zod himself basically said hed kill all of the people just to spite Kal.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

catsi563 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:53 pm
I Honestly always thought those complaints were overblown and ridiculous. they were based on the most ridiculous premise which was that the kryptonian bad guys would actually be stupid enough to follow him.

Whys he running? think he wants to take us away from all these people where he can cut loose?

yeah I think so lets just stay here and well threaten some of these people to distract him.

Cool tosses a few soldiers into the air for fun'

Zod himself basically said hed kill all of the people just to spite Kal.
That's the fight in Smallville, which most people weren't complaining about since it was more understandable. Clark was outnumbered, but even then managed to keep the damage relatively contained mostly to a single street and a couple of buildings. Clark makes an effort to protect civilians and no one seemed to get hurt or killed during that battle.

The complaints were more about the fight in Metropolis where Clark is 1v1ing a guy who couldn't fly at the start of the fight, and was happily knocking Zod into buildings without doing anything to mitigate the damage. No "check with X-Ray Vision to make sure the building is empty", no "heat vision debris to save civilians", no "catch the falling skyscraper and throw it away", etc. Superman wasn't shown actively caring about civilians until Zod directly threatened them with Heat Vision. It was basically one of many scenes in a Superman movie where Superman didn't act very Superman.

Contrast with Superman II where Clark was outnumbered against opponents way more powerful than the MoS Kryptonians and there was much less collateral damage.

The amount of destruction and civilian deaths was a conscious choice by Zack Snyder, who has some choice words on the topic:
A Reddit video shows the director answering questions at a charity event screening director's cuts of several of his films. At the Q&A for Watchmen, Snyder explained how that film colors his work and should influence how it's understood. He used the example of Batman killing, saying, “Someone says to me: [Ben Affleck’s] Batman killed a guy. I’m like, ‘Fuck, really? Wake the fuck up.'"

Snyder then went on to talk about how Watchmen differs from other superhero movies. "I guess that’s what I’m saying," he continued. "Once you've lost your virginity to this fucking movie and then you come and say to me something about like ‘my superhero wouldn’t do that.' I’m like ‘Are you serious?’ I’m like down the fucking road on that. It’s a cool point of view to be like ‘my heroes are still innocent. My heroes didn't fucking lie to America. My heroes didn't embezzle money from their corporations. My heroes didn't commit any atrocities.' That’s cool. But you’re living in a fucking dream world.”

Source
So yeah, this explains a LOT of why the DCEU didn't feel even remotely like the DCU until other people got involved.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Ares wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:17 pm The amount of destruction and civilian deaths was a conscious choice by Zack Snyder, who has some choice words on the topic:
A Reddit video shows the director answering questions at a charity event screening director's cuts of several of his films. At the Q&A for Watchmen, Snyder explained how that film colors his work and should influence how it's understood. He used the example of Batman killing, saying, “Someone says to me: [Ben Affleck’s] Batman killed a guy. I’m like, ‘Fuck, really? Wake the fuck up.'"

Snyder then went on to talk about how Watchmen differs from other superhero movies. "I guess that’s what I’m saying," he continued. "Once you've lost your virginity to this fucking movie and then you come and say to me something about like ‘my superhero wouldn’t do that.' I’m like ‘Are you serious?’ I’m like down the fucking road on that. It’s a cool point of view to be like ‘my heroes are still innocent. My heroes didn't fucking lie to America. My heroes didn't embezzle money from their corporations. My heroes didn't commit any atrocities.' That’s cool. But you’re living in a fucking dream world.”

Source
So yeah, this explains a LOT of why the DCEU didn't feel even remotely like the DCU until other people got involved.
What sounds bonkers about this entire assumption is that because of Watchmen the genre conventions were out of the windows. At this point one could reasonably ask: "Mr.Snyder, what would have you done if there was no Watchmen to back you up?"
If I look at the other side of the cinecomic pond, one of my favorite moments in Avengers was the fact that the problem of civilian casualties was present but also adressed. While you can easily make the argument that the evacuation was too fast and too clean, the safety of bystanders was clearly at the forefront of Captain America's priorities.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Woodclaw wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:32 pm
Ares wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:17 pm The amount of destruction and civilian deaths was a conscious choice by Zack Snyder, who has some choice words on the topic:

Source
What sounds bonkers about this entire assumption is that because of Watchmen the genre conventions were out of the windows. At this point one could reasonably ask: "Mr.Snyder, what would have you done if there was no Watchmen to back you up?"
It's especially egregious because Snyder made Watchmen bloodier than the original comic! The scene where Dan and Laurie fight off some thugs went from two heroes beating up a group of criminals to the pair murdering and brutalizing several of them. Rorschach killing people was suppose to make him an anomaly amongst costumed heroes. The Comedian and Dr. Manhattan were different due to being government heroes, but Dan and Laurie were suppose to be heroes that stuck closely to old school comics morality, which was why the pair were closest to actual heroes in the story. So Snyder can't even translate the source material without making things bloodier and more murder happy than the original story.
If I look at the other side of the cinecomic pond, one of my favorite moments in Avengers was the fact that the problem of civilian casualties was present but also adressed. While you can easily make the argument that the evacuation was too fast and too clean, the safety of bystanders was clearly at the forefront of Captain America's priorities.
That was something I enjoyed about Avengers 1 & 2. The heroes clearly prioritize saving the civilians and do everything they can to minimize casualties. Like actual, classic superheroes.

It was nice having that era of Marvel films while it lasted.

greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

I have no problem with a "more realistic" treatment where super-heroes cannot always protect civilians, are sometimes forced by circumstances to use lethal force, and have to grapple with very difficult moral/ethical questions. Hell, two of my all-time favorite series are the original Squadron Supreme book and the Elementals; the latter had a really well done scene where the titular heroes were discussing what to do about the fact various villains they incarcerated kept escaping and in some cases killing more people (there were only a few dozen supers in their world, and normal humans did NOT have the technology to deal with them). The ultimate conclusion was they had to outright execute any villains they defeated who had willfully murdered innocent civilians.

But again-this was because they HAD NO OTHER CHOICE. They didn't have any equivalent to the Phantom Zone, or any power-dampening technology, or anything else to keep lethal paranormals from escaping over and over and wreaking mayhem each time.

The Watchmen characters almost all refrained from serious violence against criminals and costumed villains, except for the Comedian (a sociopathic anti-hero), Hooded Justice (who didn't kill, but was clearly excessively violent), and Rorsarch (who had suffered a PSYCHOTIC BREAK due to trauma); Dr. Manhattan's causal attitude toward lethal force was a sign of his growing distant and aloof from humanity. Ozymandias was the VILLAIN! NONE of the other heroes killed unless they had to do so, even lacking actual super-powers.

Just my two cents.

All my best.
Jabroniville

Automaton (Earth Thunder)

Post by Jabroniville »

EARTH THUNDER AUTOMATON
Role:
Magic Super-Golem, Baseline Automaton
PL 11 (90 + Magic)
STRENGTH
10 STAMINA -- AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -- AWARENESS -- PRESENCE --

Skills:
Close Combat (Sword) 2 (+9)

Advantages:
Close Attack, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Magic Construct"
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
Protection 12 (Total 13) [12]
Speed 4 (30 mph) [4]
Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]

"See Through the Controller's Eyes" Remote Sensing 2 (Vision, Hearing) (Flaws: Limited to Controller) [4]
Regeneration 6 (Flaws: Ranks 3-6 Limited to if Controller Spends Own PPE, Limited to Staggered Recovery) [3]

Growth 2 (Str & Toughness +2, +2 Mass, +1 Intimidation, -1 Dodge/Parry, -2 Stealth) -- (10 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [5]
Senses 9 (Vision Penetrates Concealment, Detect Astral Travelers, Detect Spirts, Extended Vision 3) [9]

"Single-Edged Sword" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [6]
Strength-Damage +3 (Feats: Improved Critical, Penetrating 6) (10 points)

"Magic Powers" (See Aura, Chameleon, Detect Concealment, Throwing Stones, Mystic Fulcrum, Fireblast, Spinning Blades, Wall of Defense, Deflect, Crushing Fist, Power Bolt)

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Sword +9 (+13 Damage, DC 28)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +14, Fortitude --, Will --

Complications:
Involuntary Transformation (Inert)- An Automoton may not move without a Magus riding it, or a Controller Linked to it being at most 200 feet away. A Linked Automoton cannot move without their personal Controller, or the High Magus who created them.
Responsibility (Orders)- If the pilot or Controller is unconscious or grievously injured, the Automoton will automatically attempt to flee, fighting at half-strength.
Power Loss (Spells)- Only a Controller, its creator, or the Lords of Magic may utilize the Magic Spells of an Automoton.
Disabled (Mute)

Total: Abilities: -2 / Skills: 2--1 / Advantages: 15 / Powers: 74 + Magic / Defenses: 10 (90 + Magic)

-The first kind of Automaton created, the Earth Thunder is the "baseline", and the one given to all starting Controllers. This means it's the least-fancy, but it's also tremendously durable (tougher than a Hatchling Dragon at first level!), and has INSANE hitting power, matching a Rail Gun, but with much higher baseline accuracy than most starter-things get. An Earth Thunder Automaton is PL 11 right out of the box, both offensively (with the Sword) and defensively! And it has supremely-powerful spells like Spinning Blades & Power Bolt, both easily hitting Blast 11+!

-Of course it has no guns, so it’s dead against any remotely equipped Coalition battalion.
Jabroniville

Automaton (Fire Demon)

Post by Jabroniville »

FIRE DEMON AUTOMATON
Role:
Magic Super-Golem
PL 12 (202 + Magic)
STRENGTH
12 STAMINA -- AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 0

Skills:
None

Advantages:
Close Attack, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Initiative, Ranged Attack 8

Powers:
"Magic Construct"
Protection 8 (14 overall) [8]
Speed 5 (60 mph) [5]
Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]

"See Through the Controller's Eyes" Remote Sensing 2 (Vision, Hearing) (Flaws: Limited to Controller) [4]
Regeneration 6 (Flaws: Ranks 3-6 Limited to if Controller Spends Own PPE, Limited to Staggered Recovery) [3]

Growth 6 (Str & Toughness +6, +6 Mass, +3 Intimidation, -3 Dodge/Parry, -6 Stealth) -- (21 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [13]

"Burning Hot Being"
Flame Aura 9 [36]
Environment 1 (Heat) [1]
Immunity 10 (Heat & Fire Effects) [10]
Senses 4 (Vision Counters Concealment) (Flaws: Limited to Through Smoke) [2]

"Flame Breath w/ Sulfur Cloud" Blast 13 (Extras: Penetrating 6) Linked to Dazzle Visuals 10 (Extras: 15ft. Cloud) (62) -- [63]
  • AE: "Fire Line" Damage 11 (Extras: Area- 100ft. Line +2.5) (28)
"Magic Powers" (Lantern Light, Fuel Flame, Ignite Flame, Fireblast, Fire Ball, Circle of Flame, Fire Blossom, Fire Gout, Fire Globe, Dragon Fire)

Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+12 Damage, DC 27)
Flame Breath +8 (+13 Ranged Damage & +10 Ranged Cloud Dazzle, DC 28 & 20)
Fire Line +11 Area (+11 Damage, DC 26)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +14, Fortitude --, Will --

Complications:
Involuntary Transformation (Inert)- An Automoton may not move without a Magus riding it, or a Controller Linked to it being at most 200 feet away. A Linked Automoton cannot move without their personal Controller, or the High Magus who created them.
Responsibility (Orders)- If the pilot or Controller is unconscious or grievously injured, the Automoton will automatically attempt to flee, fighting at half-strength.
Power Loss (Spells)- Only a Controller, its creator, or the Lords of Magic may utilize the Magic Spells of an Automoton.
Disabled (Mute)
Vulnerable (Underwater)- The Fire Demon Automoton takes great damage merely from being underwater.

Total: Abilities: -10 / Skills: 00--0 / Advantages: 20 / Powers: 177 + Magic / Defenses: 15 (202 + Magic)

-Because Dubisch drew a scary-ass flaming, red demon, they decided it was an Automaton and threw it in here. I mean, MAYBE that's not what happened, but this guy only vaguely looks like the other things, and could have easily been a demon meant for another book. Said to be less durable than the Earth Thunder Automaton (it's not), it's themed entirely around Blasting, Line Damaging & Aura-ing everything to death.

-The Fire Demon adds a LOT of Blasting capability to an already-powerful Automoton's form, plenty of fire-related stuff, and even added accuracy, making them one of the better damage-dealing Automotons out there.
Jabroniville

Automaton (Ice Drake)

Post by Jabroniville »

ICE DRAKE AUTOMATON
Role:
Magic Super-Golem, Anti-Air Fighter
PL 11 (169 + Magic)
STRENGTH
10 STAMINA -- AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 0

Skills:
None

Advantages:
Close Attack, Favored Environment (Airborne), Improved Critical (Unarmed), Ranged Attack 6

Powers:
"Magic Construct"
Protection 12 (Extras: Impervious 5) [17]

"Deceptively-Stocky Physique"
Flight 6 (500 mph) (Flaws: Winged) (6) -- [8]
  • AE: Speed 6 (120 mph) (6)
  • AE: Leaping 3 (60 feet) (3)
Movement 1 (Wall-Crawling) [2]

Senses 10 (Vision Counters Invisibility, Darkvision, Ultravision, Extended Vision 3) [10]

"Burning Cold" Icy Aura 3 [12]
Features 1: Blast Frosts Windshields) [1]

"Frost Blast" Blast 9 (Feats: Accurate, Ranged 2) Linked to Affliction 12 (Tech Skill of Creator; Dazed & Vulnerable/Stunned & Defenseless) (Feats: Accurate, Ranged 2) (Extras: Extra Condition, Ranged) (60) -- [61]
  • AE: "Claws" Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Accurate, Improved Critical) (3)
"Magic Powers" (Energy Bolt, Float in Air, Chameleon, Orb of Cold, Wave of Frost, Frost Blade, Ice, Sub-Particle Acceleration, Wind Rush, Dispel Magic Barrier)

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Claws +7 (+11 Damage, DC 26)
Frost Blast +8 (+9 Ranged Damage & +12 Ranged Affliction, DC 24 & 22)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +12 (+3 Impervious), Fortitude --, Will --

Complications:
Involuntary Transformation (Inert)- An Automaton may not move without a Magus riding it, or a Controller Linked to it being at most 200 feet away. A Linked Automaton cannot move without their personal Controller, or the High Magus who created them.
Responsibility (Orders)- If the pilot or Controller is unconscious or grievously injured, the Automaton will automatically attempt to flee, fighting at half-strength.
Power Loss (Spells)- Only a Controller, its creator, or the Lords of Magic may utilize the Magic Spells of an Automaton.
Disabled (Mute)

Total: Abilities: -6 / Skills: 00--0 / Advantages: 18 / Powers: 148 + Magic / Defenses: 9 (169 + Magic)

-The Ice Drake is the most unique-looking of the Automatons (to the point where I'd bet money it was a random Dubisch drawing of a Seahorse-headed Sauropod-thing and they just went "Give this stats"), and is oddly barely above man-sized- it's primary purpose is Anti-Air stuff, fighting planes, Flying Armor, and other things. The creatures specialize in freezing mechanical bits, making them specifically able to take down technology, which is a good touch this book should have been utilizing more. Unfortunately... its standard-issue Toughness and shockingly low-powered Blasts means that it's not as good as it should be at that- the Affliction is pretty decent, but will only mess up one target at a time in what's supposed to be mass battles. Oh, and they can still only get 200 feet from the controller and have 400-foot range on their blasts, making their flight rather weak against Power Armor guys who have WAY more range.
Jabroniville

Automaton (Kilairgh)

Post by Jabroniville »

KILAIRGH AUTOMATON
Role:
Magic Super-Golem
PL 14 (115 + Magic)
STRENGTH
11 STAMINA -- AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 0

Skills:
None

Advantages:
Close Attack, Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Hold, Improved Initiative, Ranged Attack 8

Powers:
"Magic Construct"
Protection 10 (18 total) (Extras: Impervious 9) [19]
Speed 4 (30 mph) [4]

Regeneration 10 (Flaws: Ranks 5-10 Limited to if Controller Spends Own PPE, Limited to Staggered Recovery) [4]

Growth 8 (Str & Sta +8, +8 Mass, +4 Intimidation, -4 Dodge/Parry, +1 Speed, -8 Stealth) -- (30 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [17]

"Throwing Objects" Blast 14 (Flaws: Source- Large Objects) (14) -- [16]
  • AE: "Pincer Claws" Strength-Damage +3 (Feats: Split) (Extras: Penetrating 8) (12)
  • AE: "Body Slam" Damage 12 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Line) (Flaws: Limited to Area Travelled Through) (12)
"Magic Powers" (Orb of Cold, Electric Arc, Deflect, Horror, House of Glass, Lifeblast, Barrage, Wind Rush, Sub-Particle Acceleration, Ballistic Fire, Shockwave, Desiccate the Supernatural, Disharmonize)

Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+11 Damage, DC 26)
Pincers +9 (+14 Damage, DC 29)
Thrown Objects +8 (+14 Ranged Damage, DC 29)
Body Slam +12 Area (+12 Damage, DC 27)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +18, Fortitude --, Will --

Complications:
Involuntary Transformation (Inert)- An Automaton may not move without a Magus riding it, or a Controller Linked to it being at most 200 feet away. A Linked Automaton cannot move without their personal Controller, or the High Magus who created them.
Responsibility (Orders)- If the pilot or Controller is unconscious or grievously injured, the Automaton will automatically attempt to flee, fighting at half-strength.
Power Loss (Spells)- Only a Controller, its creator, or the Lords of Magic may utilize the Magic Spells of an Automaton.
Disabled (Mute)

Total: Abilities: -16 / Skills: 00--0 / Advantages: 22 / Powers: 94 + Magic / Defenses: 15 (115 + Magic)

-The odd-looking Kilairgh ("kill-lair" because that's totally how you should spell that sound) is also a Dubisch drawing, but clearly drawn with entirely different implements, in a different style- this thing is more thickly-inked and far less ornate, making it look more appropriate for Rifts than his usual lumpy stuff, but entirely different than the artist's other work for the line, lacking most of his organic elements and thin, swirly bits. This Automaton a huge centipede monster designed for mass combat, as most robots are "feeble brawlers" who rely on weapons, and this thing can close with them easily... except most robots are just as fast, can still shoot into melee, and are still pretty durable. Oh well, at least it's strong. I mean, REALLY strong- PL 11.5 at brawling, a PL 12 Area Attack, and an incredible *PL 13.5* at parrying attacks! That 1,600 M.D.C. is ridiculously-durable, meaning it's actually a great tanking construct.
Jabroniville

Battlelord Automaton

Post by Jabroniville »

BATTLELORD AUTOMATON
Role:
Magic Super-Golem, Elite Automoton
PL 13 (145 + Magic)
STRENGTH
13 STAMINA -- AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0

Skills:
Close Combat (Sword) 2 (+10)

Advantages:
Close Attack, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Ranged Attack 8

Powers:
"Magic Construct"
Protection 11 (17 total) (Extras: Impervious 9) [20]
Speed 5 (60 mph) [5]
Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]

Regeneration 7 (Flaws: Ranks 3-7 Limited to if Controller Spends Own PPE, Limited to Staggered Recovery) [3]

Growth 6 (Str & Toughness +6, +6 Mass, +3 Intimidation, -3 Dodge/Parry, -6 Stealth) -- (21 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [13]
"Eye Beams" Blast 13 (Feats: Increased Range 4) [30]

"Magic Sword" (Feats: Restricted to Huge Beings) (Flaws: Easily Removable) [16]
"Call Lightning" Blast 9 (Feats: Accurate, Increased Range 4) (23) -- (24 points)
  • AE: Strength-Damage +3 (Feats: Improved Critical, Penetrating 6) (10)
"Magic Powers" (Magic Shield, Magic Net, Deflect, Watchguard, Implosion Neutralizer, Barrage, Call Lightning, Lifeblast, Targeted Deflection, Magic Pigeon, Sheltering Force, Dessication of the Supernatural)

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+13 Damage, DC 28)
Sword +10 (+16 Damage, DC 31)
Call Lightning +10 (+9 Ranged Damage, DC 24)
Eye Beams +8 (+13 Ranged Damage, DC 28)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +17 (+5 Impervious), Fortitude --, Will --

Complications:
Disabled (Mute)

Total: Abilities: -10 / Skills: 2--1 / Advantages: 19 / Powers: 122 + Magic / Defenses: 13 (145 + Magic)

-Battlelords are elite Automatons, piloted only by 7th-level Controllers and Lord & High Magi of 4-5th level and up. They have giant Swords that do Rail Gun-level damage and cast powerful Lightning spells that cost nothing and do 2D6 PER LEVEL OF THE PILOT, meaning they can likely breach Blast 20 with ease!! Their combat bonuses are equally ridiculous, making them beyond top-tier. Overall, they are PL 13 with the Sword & Parry.
Jabroniville

Colossus Automaton

Post by Jabroniville »

COLOSSUS AUTOMATON
Role:
Magic Super-Golem, Top of the Line Automoton
PL 16 (200 + Magic)
STRENGTH
14 STAMINA -- AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 0

Skills:
Close Combat (Mace) 2 (+13)

Advantages:
Close Attack, Improved Critical (Unarmed) 3, Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Magic Construct"
Protection 6 (18 total) (Extras: Impervious 11) [17]
Speed 5 (60 mph) [5]
Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]

Regeneration 7 (Flaws: Ranks 3-6 Limited to if Controller Spends Own PPE, Limited to Staggered Recovery) [3]

Growth 12 (Str & Toughness +12, +12 Mass, +6 Intimidation, -6 Dodge/Parry, +1 Speed, -12 Stealth) -- (60 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [25]

"Earth Tremors" Damage 11 (Extras: Area- 100ft. Line +2.5) & Affliction 11 (Fort; Dazed & Impaired/Stunned & Disabled) (Extras: Area- 100ft. Line +2.5, Extra Condition) (Flaws: Limited Degree) (78) -- [79]
  • AE: "Eye Beams" Blast 15 (Feats: Increased Range 2) (Extras: Penetrating 10) (42)
"Iron Mace" (Feats: Restricted to Titanic Beings) (Flaws: Easily Removable) [10]
Strength-Damage +3 (Feats: Improved Critical 3) (Extras: Penetrating 10) (Flaws: Ranks 2-3 Limited to Supernatural) (15 points)

"Magic Powers" (Deflect, Distant Voice, Death Curse, Weight of Duty, Lifeblast, Wind Rush, Sub-Particle Acceleration, Wall of Wind, World Bizarre, Meteor, Collapse, Disharmonize, Firequake, Heavy Air, Annihilate)

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+14 Damage, DC 29)
Iron Mace +13 (+15-17 Damage, DC 30-32)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +13 (DC 23), Toughness +18 (+6 Impervious), Fortitude --, Will --

Complications:

Total: Abilities: -14 / Skills: 2--1 / Advantages: 17 / Powers: 175 + Magic / Defenses: 21 (200 + Magic)

-The Colossus is the top of the line, and piloted only by the High Magi or the Lords of Magic. Only 90 are known to exist, and have only seen battle in other dimensions- they are hoped to be the last line of defense should Dunscon or somebody attack Dweomer itself. The damage they do is truly horrifying when combined with their accuracy, and their bonuses to hit make up for the fact that they wouldn't otherwise get their bonuses from the Controllers. Having thousands of PPE actually makes their insane powers relatively possible, too. Overall, a Colossus is PL 12.5 unarmed, PL 14 with the Iron Mace, PL 15 against supernatural creatures, and PL 15.5 to parry!
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Jab's Rifts Builds (Lord Magus! High Magus! Controller! Automatons!)

Post by Ares »

Jesus. ONLY 90 giant magical mecha with a PL equivalent to guys like Thor or Superman? Makes you wonder why they don't just field 10 of those things in any given engagement and sit back as they level everything like a slow-moving nuclear blast.

catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

mostly I imagine the same reason you don't just carpet bomb and area or send in battle ships or tanks for a confrontation sometimes you have to let the boots on the ground do their thing
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

They can only be piloted by High Magi, cost a TON to produce, and like Fatal and Friends notes, a lack of ranged options means they and the mage will be quickly killed by carpet bombing from too far away to reach them.

Though I think a lot of the weakness of Automatons hails from the fact that the Palladium designers seem to have arbitrarily made some weapons ridiculously long-ranged, while keeping other weapons weaker. So "sitting from a mile away and firing" actually becomes a realistic tactic in the game, and a specific weakness of Wizards, who kept the ranges of old-school Palladium Fantasy spells in a world of electronic sensors and Rail Guns. Ignoring that fact makes the fights much more dangerous.