Her Majestiy's other secret service is now dead.

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
nowhereman2

Re: Her Majestiy's other secret service (IC)

Post by nowhereman2 »

Elizabeth shot a look at the goblin. "That memory trick will be handy indeed." After the close call this morning, She was not up for another surprise attack. A couple of buttons is all it took to change her PURSE into a buckler.

She watched Iggy put his hand into the slot. It was probably a stupid idea. However, stupid ideas were often the exciting ones.

My mother is right. I will be dead before thirty. Elizabeth thought as she placed her hand into the slot.
Fox in the Hole: GM
A Call to Adventure: Arcanum
Changeling - The Dreaming: Socket
Her Majesty's other secret service: Elizabeth Carolynn Erin Renwald
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

Poodle wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:20 am Just as you are about to start talking a jeering voice behind you calls out "well, if it isn't his Lord high muckety muck, Sir Flapdoodle's bit of rough. Sally ain't gonna say nothing to a wannabe Peeler like you."
The speaker is a brutish looking orc you remember as Johnny Biggo, a local gang boss. Clustered around him are several orcs, a couple of humans and 3 vicious looking goblins, all trying to look menacing with varying degrees of success.
" When we finishes wiv you he won't need to pretend you iz the Jammiest Jam in London" sneers one of the goblins.
Hob Henderson
HP: 1; LP: 1; Condition: Normal

Hob chuckled, a sound like a rolling barrel full of gravel. He tipped his battered hat towards Fat Sally. "Won't be but a moment, then..."

Then he turned towards Johnny Biggo, and took one step forward, rolling up his shirt sleeves to reveal the strange tribal tattoos that wrapped his arms. " What say there, Johnny? Still blowing more hot air than a steam engine, ain't ya?" He shook his head sadly, glancing at the the goblin who had spoken. " Shouldn't talk so mean to someone what can toss you straight into the Thames from where I'm standin', ya know. Might hurt my feelings and all."

He took another step forward, straightening up just a bit; closer up, it would be obvious just how big he was- how thick his arms were, and how big those hob-nailed boots on his feet were. "Good ta see ya brought all you little friends along Johnny. Still afraid to walk these streets alone then, aren't ya? And with good reason..." Another step- he was dangerously close now, and they couldn't fail to notice his size. He cracked his knuckles loudly and loomed over the assembled crew, leaning forward so his face was practically within biting distance of the leader.

>OOC: Hob is going to use his Fearsome Presence (2 ranks), after closing to within 10 feet of Johnny. Anyone within 10 feet that can interact with him must make a DC 12 Will check or become shaken. Fail by 5, they flee (if they fail by 10, they panic, but I'm not sure that is possible, even if they are mooks).

>OOC 2: Sorry for the delay here. Next few weeks are going to be challenging, as they say- RL/work stress like crazy. I'll try to keep up as best I can, but ping me if you need a response.
Poodle

Post by Poodle »

For Eluzabeth and Iggy
There is a sensation almost exactly like a pin sticking into his finger then his hand is released.
The voice mutters "I suppose that is normal for one of those... Next."
The same happens to you as well Elizabeth. The voice mumbling apologies, "terribly sorry M'lady, most unusual, possibly even a first, so sorry, tradition and all doncherknow.."

Much to your surprise one of the walls moves back and opens up into one of the strangest rooms you have been in. It is like a hunting lodge, a gentlemen's club, and possibly a retirement home blended into one. Weapons and stuffed trophies adorn the walls. There are a collection of leather, worn, slightly overstuffed chairs currently occupied by some leathery, worn slightly overstuffed gentlemen ranging in ages from 40's to elderly. One of whom is asleep with his teeth in a glass of port beside him.
There is a slightly mad old gentleman behind you. He salutes the room, "gatekeeper reporting, they have passed the tests."

One of the others, a lean faced man in his forties invites you to sit down. "We don't get many visitors here. Do make yourself comfortable. We will bring some refreshments in. Now how can we help you?"
ooc- feel free to make any rolls you like to give you more information.
Last edited by Poodle on Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world. -Albert Einstein.
Poodle

Post by Poodle »

For Hob

Johnny Biggo
Will: 1d20+4 14

Johnny doesn't seem too impressed, especially with his boys behind him. "You left remember... Just so you could do some french style with Lord Goldbuttons. We don't want you here and we don't want nuffing to do with any business you bringing here. Sling yer 'ook."
The others are spreading out around you. There seems to be less goblins than you remember.
Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world. -Albert Einstein.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Iggy extracts his mechanical arm then looks at the finger where the pin punctured it. Seeing it unharmed he dismissed the occurrence.

He waits for Elizabeth to do the arm thing.
"Something pithy this way comes."
nowhereman2

Post by nowhereman2 »

Elizabeth removed her hand from the device. She still wasn't sure about the intentions of the people in front of her. They were supposed to have information, but is that because they are criminals or because they are in Her Majesties Service, or even worse... freelancers. She tried to give a look around to ascertain their loyalties.

[OOC: She is looking for insignias, symbols and the like. Anything that guarantees these people are alright to disclose information to. Perception 16]
Poodle

Post by Poodle »

Flynnarrel wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:47 pm Iggy extracts his mechanical arm then looks at the finger where the pin punctured it. Seeing it unharmed he dismissed the occurrence.

He waits for Elizabeth to do the arm thing.
Dirty trick...don't make me redact a post.
Poodle

Post by Poodle »

The stuffed heads on the walls are hideous. Some of them are human with curiously vulpine features, a lot of them are rats, and a few are obviously a metamorphosis captured between rat and human. The pictures on the walls are terriers at ratfighting pits and rat hunts. There are several elderly terriers scattered around the room, watching you through milky eyes. There are several stuffed examples with plaques under them. There are also weapons and pictures from other countries. Carved into the mantel above the fireplace is the title "The royal order of ratcatchers".
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Flynnarrel wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:14 pm In a show of either extreme bravery, goblin fool-curiosity, or confident mechanation Iggy sticks his mechanical hand into the slot.
It was never a 'trick'; this was my original post.

Assuming the old guy makes some tisk of disapproval Iggy switches to his biological arm and receives the prick/blood test.
One of the others, a lean faced man in his forties invites you to sit down. "We don't get many visitors here. Do make yourself comfortable. We will bring some refreshments in. Now how can we help you?"
"Well, we are tracking down pirates, or at least a thieving group not above piracy on the open seas. They contain wielders of the arcane as well as rat humanoid creatures. Possibly Dutch or having ties in that area." Iggy says, matter of factly.
Poodle

Post by Poodle »

@Iggy, apologies. I'll wait for Elizabeth before I carry on.
nowhereman2

Post by nowhereman2 »

[OOC: Sorry, didn't think I was needed.]

"Yes. We were told that your group could help us in this matter."
Poodle

Post by Poodle »

To Iggy and Elizabeth. The group seems only mildly interested until you mention 'rat humanoids'. A heated discussion breaks out almost straight away..
"I told you they would be back"
"Summon up the trainees. We can't take any chances."
"Damm Thomas Crapper. This is all his fault."
"Release the great spell."
"Check the deep warrens."
.... etc.

Eventually the hubbub dies down and the lean-faced man speaks up. "Tell us what you know and where this happened. What phase of the moon was it? Can you confirm they were rat folk? Was anyone bitten?"

A garrulous old gentleman who appears to have had an eye scratched out is raving in the back ground, waving a huge revolver around "It is war I tell you. I am ready to fight. To arms, to arms."
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Iggy will describe the situation with The Narwhale, when it was attacked, how it was found and towed, what they found aboard including flame midget and states of the bodies, Elizabeth's found paw print, and confesses he does not track the moon phases to know what it was on the expected night of the attack.
Poodle

Post by Poodle »

When you say the suspected day of the attack, the "ratcatchers" look puzzled. "half waning! Seems unusual to have an attack on that day."
The man who seems to be the leader introduces himself,
" Greetings I am Hollamby, the Venator Primus for this chapter. We have been expecting a visit from someone. We have stayed true to our role, despite a certain lack of support from the parliament."
The agitated gentleman yells out "infested I tell you. The parliament is in League with THEM! Time to fight them all" His colleagues try to calm him down somewhat.
Hollamby looks a little embarrassed. "Don't mind him. In his day he was a legend. The life takes it's toll. Anyway, we are happy to give whatever help we can. You are probably wondering who we are and possibly feel like you have walked into a bedlam house. We are the ratrcatchers, We catch rats and occasional other beasties. The wererat is the most insidious and deadly of foes They can look just like us, they can get anywhere and they are pure evil, devoted to the downfall of the human race. They were responsible for the black death and if not for us and others like us, all humanity would be gone from the face of the earth. Scientists are trying to claim it was fleas. Ha! We know better.

We were once treated like heroes. Proud chapter houses in every city. Now everyone is convinced there are none left. We are seen as a relic of a bygone age. We still serve as always. We keep our eyes open, we train and prepare. We try and get more younger members but they don't seem intetested. We are not without tesources though. What help do you want from us?
nowhereman2

Post by nowhereman2 »

"Elizabeth Carolynn Erin Renwald. We were directed to speak to you after our ship-based incursion. Wasn't sure why this group had been suggested until this moment however. I can see we are in good hands." Elizabeth smiled gently. "As my compatriot said, we are investigating a case of potential piracy. We have reasons to believe that a wererat and mages may have been involved. We would like to know any and all information that could be useful to the crown. Before that though, I am curious. How precisely did you come to expect a visit from us?"