Post by Flynnarrel »

I'm only sad he doesn't have interpose.
"Something pithy this way comes."
Tattooedman

Re: The Dirty (M&M2e Recruiting)

Post by Tattooedman »

That's easily fixed :mrgreen: .
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 pm
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

True, But didn't know if it fit your concept of the character.
McGuffin

Post by McGuffin »

I have a PL 10 character I could bust down to PL 8. I'll just post her as is so you'll get an idea of her crunch and fluff.

Anansi
Carolien ”Carol” Van Lunen
PL 8//133 pp/2e
Concept: Female Spider-man-expy with a mercenary attitude and thrill-seeking tendencies

Abilites (26):
Str 18/22 (+4/+6) | Dex 18/26 (+4/+8) | Con 16/18 (+3/+4) | Int 10 (+0) | Wis 10(+0) | Cha 14 (+2)

Powers (61):
Nimble: Enhanced Dexterity 8, Enhanced Attack 2, Enhanced Defense 2 [16]
Resilient and Strong: Enhanced Strength 4, Enhanced Constitution 2, Super-Strength 1 [14]
Spider Movement: Leaping 2, Super-Movement 3 (Swinging, Wall-crawling 2) [8]
Spider Senses: Super-Senses 6 (Danger Sense, Darkvision, Tremorsense) [6]

Web Snare: Snare 8 [16]
-Alternate Power: Web Tether: Move Object 8 [1]

Skills (9): Acrobatics 6 (+14), Bluff 5 (+7), Climb 4 (+10), Language 2 (Afrikaans – Native, Dutch, English), Sense Motive 4 (+4), Notice 6 (+6), Stealth 2 (+10)

Feats (19): Acrobatic Bluff, Attack Specialization: Unarmed 4, Attack Specialization: Web Snare 3, Defensive Roll 2, Dodge Focus 5, Evasion, Improved Trip, Move-by Action, Redirect

Combat (6): Atk +2 (+10 Unarmed, +8 Web Snare) | Damage +6 (Unarmed) | Def 2+5+3=10 | Init +8

Saves (10): Fort 4+2=6, Ref 8+2=10, Tough 4+2=+6, Will 0+6=+6

Abilities 26 + Powers 61 + Skills 9 + Feats 19 + Combat 6 + Saves 10 = 125

Complication: Motivation (Thrills)

Mercenary - Carol's not picky about who she works for, just as long as she gets paid. If you're good at something, don't do it for free.

Relationships - Father Carl Van Lunen (Tarantula), brother Jacob Van Lunen (Wolf Spider). Carol has reconnected with her family to a degree since becoming powered, although they are all still as likely to walk their own roads as they are to work together.

Fame - Carol was well-known even before she donned a mask and began her career as international super soldier of fortune, now she's infamous.

Honor - Carol is definitely not above using tricks or fighting dirty, but she doesn't take 'soft targets' as a rule, only those capable of putting up an interesting fight.

Enemy - Carol never bothered to learn who her father and brother stole the experimental tech that gave them their powers from, but they do seem to hold a grudge. (This is more vague but I thought of the hook so I added it)

Carolien Van Lunen is an Olympic level gymnast from a South African family with a tradition of service in armed forces. The Van Lunen family has served in various military outfits from the Navy to mercenary companies, from cavalry to guerrilla fighters. Her father, a notorious mercenary who has fought in many conflicts on the African continent, raised Carolien and her brother Jacob in a strict military fashion, drilling them from a young age in skills like survival and hand-to-hand combat. Carolien excelled at all things physical, having been blessed with a natural grace to her movements that made her a particularly gifted athlete.

Still, she didn’t take to her father’s no-nonsense attitude and strict military discipline, nor was she motivated by greed like Jacob. She grew estranged from her family for years as she won international fame but eventually the thrill of the competition dimmed for her. It was in this time of growing restlessness and disillusionment with her previously lifestyle that her brother Jacob contacted him. Apparently, he and their father had worked for some super genius or another and stolen their genetic super soldier treatment to sell to the highest bidder. They planned to demonstrate the treatment on themselves and wanted her onboard. Carol could practically taste the fresh, new excitement and couldn't say yes fast enough.

The treatment worked and Anansi, Wolf Spider and Tarantula were born. The sale itself was busted by the Seven and the family of three spider-villains scattered to the winds to avoid attention. Carol got what she'd wanted, though, and soon found work as a super powered mercenary and assassin, gaining a new kind of fame. Eventually the heroes laid a trap for her and she was shipped off to the Moon. Carol only views it all as a new and interesting kind of challenge.

Carolien has a playful personality which more serious mindsets might find difficult to work with. Still, although she has no trouble goofing off, making jokes or flirting with colleagues, she has shown herself to be every bit the born soldier her heritage would indicate her to be.
Last edited by McGuffin on Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:36 am, edited 4 times in total.
Otso Karell/Ursa, student at the New Vindicators Academy Europe.
Kriv of Clan Myastan, Dragonborn Noble Paladin in On the Road.
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

Flynnarrel wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:45 pm True, But didn't know if it fit your concept of the character.
Before he got his mind right? Nope. But now? Yep.
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!
Poodle

Post by Poodle »

I was thinking of a Deadshot/Punisher sort of build. Is that a little too dark? If so I can try and rustle up something a little fluffier..
Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world. -Albert Einstein.
Bombshell

Post by Bombshell »

CaptainChaos, that's fine I guess. I'd like to see a character pitch on top of it. What type of explosions are we taking about?

TattooedMan. I do enjoy the concept of the character, but this is not a 'get out of jail' program. The shadowy figures were upfront about the fact the reason they were using you guys is that you were the type that would do such black ops. To get you out and use you for a better purpose. I may have not said the latter point, but let me make implication known :mrgreen:

Speaking of implications, I'm assuming Manticore's weakness being his mental state? If he were to go rogue on a mission (not saying he will!) and the benefactors activate his weakness, right now I'm seeing him attacked by mental projections of kittens. That about right?

ZenGypsy/TattooedMan, as for the Impervious Toughness question, Luke Cage is very street level! Also, there are other ways to deal with tanks/walls than hitting them with damage. :twisted: But seriously, I will give you guys time to shine with both your strengths and weaknesses. Like I said in the interest thread, If the 'Issue 0' goes well, the games afterward will be kind of character focused on top of 'go do this for us'

McGuffin, that seems all well and good, but lower it down and tie it to the pitch and you're good.

Poodle, I mentioned that the tone would be sinister with an undertone of dark comedy. On that note, I'm not asking for full out silly. In this post dark age era, most people are self aware and take it with a lighter tone. That's why they chose you guys and not the Professor Take Over The World or Black Dark the Blood Miser.
Bombshell

Post by Bombshell »

And a quick note. While you guys are not world bashers, you have fought against some of the world's best heroes. To a defeat mind you, but 'street level' might not fit some of you guys :D
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Bombshell wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:29 pm And a quick note. While you guys are not world bashers, you have fought against some of the world's best heroes. To a defeat mind you, but 'street level' might not fit some of you guys :D
Just for the sake of verisimilitude, are these best heroes also at PL 8? If not, were we just having a good day? Have our skills gotten rusty over our imprisonment and/or we've been deprived of the source of power that let us match those heroes?

It's a pretty standard comic book trope that even the most pitiful of villains can have an issue where they fend off the top-league heroes (and as Jabroniville comments on as "New Villain Stink", villains typically debut at a PL or 2 higher than their typical performance, presumably since the hero hasn't met them before, and therefore doesn't know how to fight them best), but in a mechanically limited system like M&M, it would be good to know how the PL 8 villain managed to hold off PL 10 heroes, at least for backstory purposes. :)
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Part of a gang?
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

Bombshell wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:11 pm TattooedMan. I do enjoy the concept of the character, but this is not a 'get out of jail' program. The shadowy figures were upfront about the fact the reason they were using you guys is that you were the type that would do such black ops. To get you out and use you for a better purpose. I may have not said the latter point, but let me make implication known :mrgreen:
Oh I get the implication, but for Manticore I was trying to show his reason for taking up the offer. He wasn't going to get out now that his mind is right (despite there could be a possible case because of it) and Manticore knows it.
Bombshell wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:11 pm Speaking of implications, I'm assuming Manticore's weakness being his mental state? If he were to go rogue on a mission (not saying he will!) and the benefactors activate his weakness, right now I'm seeing him attacked by mental projections of kittens. That about right?
Yep. Although I was debating about giving Manticore a Vulnerability to Psionic themed attacks as well.
Bombshell wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:11 pm ZenGypsy/TattooedMan, as for the Impervious Toughness question, Luke Cage is very street level! Also, there are other ways to deal with tanks/walls than hitting them with damage. :twisted: But seriously, I will give you guys time to shine with both your strengths and weaknesses. Like I said in the interest thread, If the 'Issue 0' goes well, the games afterward will be kind of character focused on top of 'go do this for us'
Luke Cage was firmly in my mind when building Manticore, but I was also wanting to show why Manticore was such a threat in the past. But like I said - if you want me to dial down the Impervious I can do that no problem.
CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos »

The basic idea for my character is someone that can generate and fire different types of explosive bolts to be used for damage, blinding, and trip attacks. They are a demolitions and explosives expert, possibly former special ops or police. They got their powers from an accident that also caused them to become mad. I considered someone that was a former Navy Seal or similar that was a demolitions expert. A bomb went off too early killing part of the team and giving them their powers.

If that power set doesn't fit your game concept then I have a few other ideas including a couple of different energy controller types.
Bombshell

Post by Bombshell »

FuzzyBoots, I assume heroes don't fight at their full potential all the time. If Superman or Iron Man used the same level of power they fight cosmic level threats against the villains of Earth, well, there'd be a lot less villains. To put it mechanically, yes, the good guys are PL 10s or better (Fallen/Shining Knight, Dolphin and maybe K-9 (RIP) notwithstanding) but they're not going to unleash all the time.

Flynnarrel, yeah, some people join super groups for back up and protection. Others join just to show off and hurt people. At your level, you guys were mostly leaders if you did that type of thing.

TattoedMan, good stuff. Depends if you want kind of points that Psychic weakness to give you.

CaptainChaos, I see nothing wrong with the concept.
CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos »

Thanks for the feedback. On my drive to work this morning I thought of another concept. Someone that can shatter and move glass and blast glass shards.
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

So a real Glass Cannon?