[IC] MnM 3e - In the Shadow of Imperator: Deadline

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
EnigmaticOne

Re: [IC] MnM 3e - In the Shadow of Imperator:Terrible Purpose

Post by EnigmaticOne »

Peter Ezima
HP: 1
mrdent12 wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:50 amStarting to walk, he looks back at the others. "Coming estupidos? We don't have all day/", says Diego returning to his adopted character. As he looks around, he keeps an eye out for anyone else who might be in the forge or who had setup camp on top of looking fo the entrance to the lower levels.

While looking, he still had flashes of the pain that seemed to go on forever at the hands of Praetor Null. It only served as a reminder he felt inclined to pass on to Peter over the Ascendent network. We have been commanded to work with Sokolov and his minion. Remember to not give away our secrets. She may yet try to collect samples from us once the base is established., transmits Diego.
"I heard it's going to rain." Peter shot back at Diego in a somewhat raised voice, playing along now. "You want to get cold and wet, that's your choice."

I'm well aware. Peter replied, perhaps a bit testily - influenced by the guilt that Diego had suffered the consequences of his rashness. This time I won't try prying into Sokolov's.

"Let's get started." He told Iona with a smile that didn't show the inner turmoil.
Since this is a more through search of the current floor, I assume this is an Investigate check? Perception also if needed.
Investigation: 1d20+13 28
Perception: 1d20+8 9
Games
Imago in New Vindicators Academy of Europe
Supernaturalist

Re: [IC] MnM 3e - In the Shadow of Imperator: New Foundations

Post by Supernaturalist »

Iona
HP:1
Cnd: Normal
PP:0

Iona had learned to be deceptive largely out of necessity. Being left alone with the Ascendants by Dr. Sokolov was the most intimidating period of her short life. Still, it took her a moment to catch on to Diego and Peter's ruse.

"This place will be good for the night before moving on. If it rains we may need to stay a bit longer." She says in a normal conversational tone, trying to add to the deceptive narrative.

She makes a point to stay near her two "partners", and plays the part of the frail female in need of protection from the dangers of Hadron City. She gives no indication of the power at her disposal.

Following Diego's lead, she uses her heightened senses to scan around the nearby regions of the foundry (especially for any elevator or stairs that might lead to underground levels).
OOC: Here's a perception check: Supernaturalist:1D20+10 → 12(2 + 10). So, a result of 12.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

Diego and Iona make a quick search of the foundry. They don't find any people currently occupying it. There are signs that some have been here though. Empty cans, bags or boxes of food. Bottles. Cigarettes. When this is pointed out Peter takes a look, and notices some spots where small low burn fires were started and estimates the foundry hasn't had people in it for a couple days, but it looks to be a regular stopping place for group of people that probably migrate from shelter to shelter. Piles of machinery, having fallen or fell pulled down from upper regions of the foundry, pile up in heaps that occasionally break through wall segments that break up the foundry into sections according to the work mean to take place there.

There are no stairs or elevator going up or down. Though Iona's more exotic sensors, the ones that allow her to detect magnetic materials, pick up not only the equipment and some left over stocks of unused ores on the foundry ground level, but a great deal of metal about ten feet under the floor. This buried metal is expansive, and may occupy more space that the interior floor space that the foundry has. She does not find an access point to what lays below, but she recalls what Dr. Sokolov told her …

While Diego and Iona perform quick inspections of the site, Peter takes his time. Perhaps up to half an hour. It is a large area to search after all. Being here isn't comfortable for Peter. Whereas machines in Dr. Sokolov's facility were aloof, guarded, and only cooperated with Peter at the behest of their master the broken and vandalized machines here were sleeping and unpowered. There was a sense of suffering though. It was like walking through a room full of people with night terrors, crying out in anguish even as they slept, and unable to help themselves. There was no power to the machinery, leaving them inoperable. They were however haphazardly stripped for parts by vandals who apparently had no care for the machinery other than what might be gained from selling off what looked like the most expensive parts.

During his search Peter notes a couple areas they have been used as bathrooms by people, and there are signs of animals doing likewise elsewhere. Towards the back of the building there is a stock of metal ores left over from when the foundry was up and running. Someone has dome a reasonable job of using ruble and boards to conceal an sizable office as well. Once these are pulled away Peter finds what you might expect in a managers office including desk with a busted up computer. In the drawers are some office supplies as well as drugs, drug paraphernalia and a small caliber handgun. It's loaded.
OOC wrote:Since you are doing a thorough and time consuming inspection with Investigation. You'll have picked up on some things that require knowledge to translate them into useful information. Peter please give me either an Expertise Hadron City or Expertise Engineering check. You may also roll both. Information will vary between the two.
Evelyn Gracen, in AEGIS Squad
Storyteller for In the Shadow of Imperator
Storyteller for Geneforge: the Created
EnigmaticOne

Post by EnigmaticOne »

Peter Ezima

It was an wholly exotic and unusual situation, to receive a sense of emotion from machines Peter previously regarded as tools and lifeless constructions. Then again, he did feel a sense of sympathy for them, or just anger at those feckless looters responsible for such destruction. One day they would be made whole again.

In the back, Peter found another issue. Diego had the training to understand it better, but Peter could recognize whatever operation was active here could threaten the Ascendants' secrecy. "Diego?" Peter found his comrade and indicated the back rooms. "I think you should evaluate what I discovered."
Expertise: Hadron City: 1d20+13 32
Expertise: Engineering: 1d20+16 17
This is very topsy-turvy silly rolling.
Games
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez
CND: 1 rolls of -2-> 0
Form: Mist

This time I won't try prying into Sokolov's.
I would have pried as well. If you had not gotten caught and Iona had not been so foolish to endanger the mission after equal slights, things would have turned out differently., replied Diego over the network giving a post mordum and the truth. He would have done similar if he could. His talents lay in human espionage however.
"Diego?" Peter found his comrade and indicated the back rooms. "I think you should evaluate what I discovered."
Following Peter back keeping up the slight limp and slightly bent posture of a man who had seen much better days, he made note of the various small encampments and make shift bathrooms. So far, the above ground would be a good cover, if the entrance to the underground sections could be accessed without going through this section of the forge and the entrance to the basement being difficult to open. Both of which were still up in the air. Sokolov would not have put his pet into jeopardy or risked Praetor Null's retribution if there wasn't some way to secure or discretely access the sub levels, Diego had to hope.

Upon reaching the room and being certain no one was there, he reverted to his natural mist form to take in the room for all its nooks and crannies sticking to the surfaces. Without Iona in the room, he saw no need to communicate verbally. This may work to our advantage. Whoever has setup a storage facility here may not have found the sub levels or a way into them. It bodes well for us if the sublevels are reachable and we do not get sloppy. The drug dealers may also become unwitting security guards as well. Their presence would deter too many homeless from exploring here except for those who would be on drugs and dispatched simple enough. , transmits Diego over the Ascendent network.

Changing topics as the unknown of the sub level entrance was already established, Diego brought up another important topic. Could any of the machines be used as raw materiel for weapons or setting up our new base?, Diego asked following up on the seen outside over the network. Just because he had to work with Iona did not mean he had speak with his voice while she was out of the room.
Not sure on the roll needed to do a proper assessment of the area, so base roll of 2 including the -2. If spycraft expertise applies its 14 total. If Military its 8.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

OOC wrote:Diego is fairly certain the stash of drugs is too small of a quantity to belong to a drug dealer. More likely it is a personal stash for one or two people. Maybe a small group without the funds to have their own individual supplies.

On an OOC note, and your character's are free to overlook this, you don't strictly need an access point to descend. Peter can use his Shape like Clay to dig his way down. It'll be as slow as digging his way through clay, but would allow you to get through concrete, metal, and so forth. There is a risk that he digs into an electrical or gas line. Expertise Engineering would help mitigate risks here. Shape Like Clay is not Continuous, so when the effect ends, the materials return to a normal solidity, but there would be a hole in the ground.

Concerning the result of Peter's rolls: the foundry has an old aesthetic to it. But he discerns that this is purposeful, and not indicative of the actual age of the building. The foundation looks new, in the timeframe of buildings and infrastructure. In fact, when he thinks about what the knows of the area, before Imperator's arrival there was a wealthy eccentric who had a house in this neighborhood. He was a known doomsday prepper and may well have built a safety net on his property. That meshes with what Iona has mentioned about sublevels, even though you have found no hint of stairs or access points. If that is the case, it is possible that whomever tore down the prepper's home built over whatever lay below ground without realizing it was there.

Using materials from the foundry, including both equipment and the stored metals, are an option for constructing a base. Alternatively Peter could also repair (and later upgrade) the equipment with the intent of putting the foundry to use. If you did that, I would allow you to have a free specialized "Foundry Workshop" feature for an HQ at this location, granting a +2 bonus to working with and processing metals. You'd also be able to partially automate the process and produce things on a reasonably sizable scale. Since you'd have an actual facility dedicated to the task. You may only do one of the two, however. Keep the foundry intact to gain the mentioned benefits, or cannibalize it.
Last edited by Sakuro on Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Supernaturalist

Iona

Iona squats down and places both palms on the floor. "There is a structure...or rather was a structure beneath us. Some of it may be still be intact."

As her cybernetic-eyes slowly look over the back half of the foundry-area, she can only shake her head. "I don't see a way down: No elevator, no stairs."

She looks back up to Diego and then to Peter. "We will have to make our way down to it. In order to do it in an inconspicuous manner and to leave no trace of our passing will almost certainly require Peter's genius."

She stands back up and looks all around the entirety of the Foundry. "I do believe that Dr. Sokolov has given us a place with a lot of potential. It will require a great deal of work, but it's location and hidden-nature seems ideal."

Looking back to both of them, her beautiful, aquamarine eyes blinking. "Are you satisfied with this place or do you wish to look elsewhere?"
EnigmaticOne

Post by EnigmaticOne »

Peter Ezima

"I recall this was previously the house of Gerald Northrup, a wealthy doomsday survivalist." Peter observed, remembering the tales of his student days. "There were some local urban legends about him constructing an extensive underground refuge. I believe the foundry was built on this site without knowledge of this, therefore whatever access point he made has been covered over."

Peter gestured to the ground. "I can make us a passage down and then remove its presence, no particular genius required but the application of my powers. It will take some time though."

"I agree the site has a great deal to recommend it," Peter looked to the machines, "including the foundry's resources at hand. We could either cannibalize them for construction, or repair and restore the foundry for our own use." From the tone of his voice, Peter clearly favored the latter. "That said, we would need to establish a better access point. Ultimately, I do think this would work. But I will defer to your judgement, Diego."
Games
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez
CND: Haunted, but fine

"The disposition of the legacy equipment and my views will depend on the underground structure.", begins Diego coldly and without feeling made even more unnerving by him being a floating mass of nanites in a corner of the room that nearly blends in with the shadows. "Clearly, we cannot enter and exit through this shell of a foundry. There is too many eyes that belong to too many empty stomaches or drunks. Any establishment of a base on the surface will draw too much attention. So, reestablishing the forge will need to wait if we use this location.", continues Diego. Iona had her mind made up and Peter was awe struck by the machines. He could only speak to his transformation for certain, but Peter seemed to sympathize with the machines.

Given the lack of an obvious entrance was promising. They would be able to make one if one could not be found and it would help conceal the groups activities until they were powerful enough to counter a full Stronghold assault. Of course, there was the obvious drawback of all the homeless and uncertain nature of the CCTV cameras working. Bringing down the central servers would need to be done eventually. If only to make movement easier.

Peter was doubtless powerful, so as long as it did not draw too much attention to the groups activities making a way into the underground structure would work based on the available information. "We cannot make a proper decision without all the information. If possible, make the entrance to the structure below as quiet as possible. The two of us will keep watch and alert you over the comms if trouble is coming. It will also be worth it to gather whatever information our liason might have on this location. They are more well informed than we are.", says Diego before hiding the supplies he brought under some rubble, shifting back into mist form and fading into the shadows to move to an observation post.

Keeping a low voice, just loud enough to be heard over the secure comms, he opens a channel to Corporal Sanders. We are scouting a new base as we have sabotaged our previous ones through foolishness that will not be repeated and need your assessment of an area. Any information on security, patrols you may know about, and relevant information to it's suitability would be greatly appreciated., says Diego before going on to describe the location. He made sure to to pains to sound human as Sanders was still human and despite his condition, he felt a warmth towards her.
Perception 14, this is annoying. Last couple rolls have been below 5 or when they were high enough weren't as useful as the bad rolls.
Stealth 16 if it's needed given his concealment in shadows.
EnigmaticOne

Post by EnigmaticOne »

Peter Ezima

Peter nodded, and pressed his hands to the ground. The molecular bonds began to loosen and he began to mold open a hole big enough for a person to descend through, while leaving a few handholds for himself and and Iona just in cae. Using his knowledge of structural engineering, he was quite certain he could avoid any electrical or gas lines.

All he needed was enough time.
Expertise: Engineering: 1d20+16 36
Crazy dice, I swear.
Games
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

Diego doesn't get a response from Tilly right away. After about a minute her voice chimes in over the link as though there had been no delay between Diego's message and her own.

"I was supposed to give the old man a ride to meet up with you ... though he's more of a she right now. I think ... Anyway! Loks like he's going to be busy for a while. So ... sure. Where do you want to meet, or do you want to talk like this?"

There was a bit of awkwardness in the woman's voice as she talked about the Old Man. Which was most likely a reference to Master Zanzo. Diego hasn't seen him since leaving him in a hole under a building and under the watch of a stranger. He was alive, Diego knew that from Praetor Null's earlier comments, but now the separation between the swordsman and the Ascendants had grown. Leaving questions as to what the warrior could be up to under Colonel Costa's leadership.

From his perch in the shadows overhead Diego watches and listens. Peter's work in the formerly concealed office goes by quietly and intruded upon while he speaks with the Corporal.

While Peter's efforts are time consuming, they are not particularly laborious given the nature of his ability to weaken molecular bonds and reshape matter in his hands. Knowing what potential dangers may arise from aimlessly digging, he takes care and is able to avoid the pitfalls of busting a gas pile under the building. It means he has to detour his initial dig a bit, but it is better than the alternative. After breaking through the foundation there is about ten feet of earth that Peter digs his way through before hitting metal again. There are a variety of insulating materials that follow and Peter has to avoid some electronic wiring before he finds an open space. It is dark inside this new space. Unlit, except by the singular ray of dim light falling on him from the foundry above. He can't see much, but the area he is in now feels small. There is gray carpet under his feel. Dust in the air. from his labors, or stirred up by his arrival. Maybe .. it looks like there might be a bed here. Or furniture of some kind.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez
CND: Haunted, but fine

While he waits up in the shadows of the picked apart foundry, Diego has time to take it all in for a moment before Tilly responds. Watchman duty had a way of letting one think. Peter had his task and Iona also was on watch duty sparing him the babysitting of Sokolovs minion. What once must have been a busy factory churning out weapons to bring the world to heel was now rubbish. The good bits had been picked clean by desperate people. All that remained of the once proud factory was now scrap not even worth taking with the location no better than a drug den.
"I was supposed to give the old man a ride to meet up with you ... though he's more of a she right now. I think ... Anyway! Loks like he's going to be busy for a while. So ... sure. Where do you want to meet, or do you want to talk like this?"
Hitori wasn't like him, yet Diego still felt a bond of sorts with the monster. Unlike him, Hitori has chosen to try and suppress what the virus had made him going to the point of lying about it at in opportune times. Despite that, they had made it this far in the city. Diego was tempted to inquire about the swordsman, but there was more pressing business to attend. I am no sure how long we will be at this location. We are still assessing it for suitability. This area is unfamiliar to us, so any information you can provide over the comms would be useful. If we do choose to proceed with this location, your assistance as always would be invaluable in learning the various routes and terrain. So, meeting us here or at another location for a longer chat would be preferred if we progress to the next phase., signals Diego over the comms in a low enough voice to once again transmit, but not be heard.

As Diego waited for Tilly's response, he kept a vigilant watch on the factory. At any moment he was ready to quickly subdue some hapless vagrant. None came into the place. All it did was give him more time to do the calculations and plan out in his mind the many ways this possible base could be compromised. On Peters signal, Diego broke his inner calculations and descended down the hole letting himself disappear into the shadows below.
I found a post where the comms were secure, so I am going off that. If not, I can change my post accordingly.
Supernaturalist

Iona

Iona waits until Peter is finished with his amazing molecular reconstruction of the foundation. It is a not so subtle display of the power that he has at his disposal.

Peering into the newly made hole, her low-light vision adjusts to the darkness below. Unfortunately, the hole does not giver he a very good angle to see the entirety of the room beneath her. She stands for a moment wondering what the next move will be. She doesn't have to wait long.

Diego's inky black form descends fearlessly into the hole, largely ignoring that Iona is even there. After a few seconds, she looks over at Peter. "I suppose I should go next." Using her magnetic levitation, she slowly lowers herself down the narrow tunnel into the dark room below. She stops just shy of letting her feet touch the ground. She slowly turns her head from side to side, first using her low-light vision and then her infra-vision in order to orient herself as much as possible to her new surroundings.

I should probably wait a few days before sending Dr. Sokolov a report. There's no use boring him with the details of securing this place.
OOC: Let me know if I need to make a perception roll. I'll add it to my post. Also,from the info that Dr. Sokolov gave me, am I able to tell from my surroundings where I'm at in the sub-structure?
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

OOC wrote:Your commlinks are modern military grade communications equipment with aproperietly strong encryption (they have Subtle 1). They can still be hacked. Someone like Peter or Dr. Sokolov will get though that encryption without much effort. Someone with post-modern Hadron tech, or near magic Imperator-tech have clear advantages as well.

Dr. Sokolov did not give Iona any specific information about the layout of the sub-structure.
"Then I'll wait until you decide to plant roots before I come to you. I still need to know where you are if I am going to rack my brain for useful information."

Diego and Iona descend the tunnel crated by Peter. Entering the underground structure they are able to see with ease where Peter struggled to pick up details. The room they have entered is all concrete save for the floor which has a bland grey rug. The room is small and undecorated, save for a bed, dresser, and a small stand next to the bed with a lamp. The size of the space is such that three adult sized bodies occupying it feels crowded, even though there is room enough to maneuver and you could easily pass right through Diego if the thought of walking through the frightening dark cloud was something anyone dared consider. There is also a door leading out of the room …
OOC wrote:There are no special security measures in this shelter that would hinder any of you in a meaningful way. There are also no hidden dangers waiting in ambush. The only issue is the lack of light, which only hinders Peter. As such I will describe what you find. If you want specific information, let me know. A detail an thorough search would require Investigation. If you want to make any other rolls, I'll consider their relevance.
… and out into a bland grey hallway ending in a sharp right turn, forming an L shape. On either side of the hallway are doors leading into rooms almost exactly like the small one that Peter dug his way into, and some bathrooms with water systems that Peter notes are built into an internal recycling system. As you move around you notice boxers at the corners of rooms or hallway ceilings with vents. Peter recognizes these as part of an air recycling and filtration system. Rounding the right angle of the hallway see a reinforced metal door down the half, about three meters away. It has a lock, but when testing it you find that it is currently unlocked. Beyond the door sturdy door is what looks very much like a living room. There are couches and comfortable chairs. A TV, VCR, and a library of old VHS tapes and board games located on shelves build into the walls.

There are three doors additional door branching off of the living room. Two are like the one you just passed through, sturdy metal security doors, while the last door is wooden. Beyond the wooden door you find a kitchen with an huge well stocked food storage area. All the food is preserved and packaged tightly and densely in the sizable food storage room. It felt sizable enough, with rows of foot stocked shelves, that it could have been part of a small super mart store.

Taking the north door off of the living room you find an area dedicated to sewage processing, water recycling, and further on … an expansive greenhouse linked to the shelter's internal water system. There are no currently growing plants, but you do find a huge stock of seeds for food producing plants. The green house is broken up into several isolated and self contained sections, but together they occupy the greatest amount of space in the fallout shelter.

Beyond the last hallway branching off the living room you find a stock of replacement parts for the various functions of the shelter. There is a generator room, that Peter deduces is a custom job. There is a supply room adjoining the generator room, but it does not contain gas. Instead there are barrels of bio-fuel in stock. Oils that might actually double for cooking if one were inclined. Further on you find a room with some old radios. Communication equipment from the 1970's or 80's. Aged by normal standards. Antiquated by Hadron City's.

After your cursory inspection is complete the three of you reconvene and share your observations with one another.
OOC wrote:Mechanically, this is what you would end up with:
Foundry-Fallout Shelter wrote: Size: Medium (Large if you count the Foundry in addition to the Fallout Shelter) Toughness: 14
Features: Old Communications (-2 circumstance penalty, but you have com equipment), Concealed 1 (on Fallout Shelter only), Greenhouse (able to cultivate large numbers of plants on site), Living Space, Power System (bio-fuel generator, requires fuel)
In addition there are stocks of old tools and various supplies in storage. As previously mentioned, the Foundry's equipment may be cannibalized for developing your HQ, or you may repair it to get a specialized Foundry Workshop (+2 to processing and working with metal) Feature added to a HQ at this location. There are also stores of metal in the foundry.

When you do decide on a location for your HQ, each of you will be allowed to pick a Feature to add to the HQ (ex. Iona may want to add Infirmary) for free. You may also use 1 Favor to get 5 EP to add to the base, though for nothing expressly super-science related. Note, once you settle on a site, I will be giving you some other options to use Favor on, including a unique one time only offer that requires the Foundry Workshop.
EnigmaticOne

Post by EnigmaticOne »

Peter Ezima

After confirming that Diego and Iona had progressed down to the sub-level, Peter entered the hole. He moved a few steps down and began molding the foundation flooring back into place - eliminating the hole's presence. Once that was done, he slowly continued down, taking the time and advantage of his hand and footholds to reshape the layers of earth and metal back into place for good measure.

Finally, he joined the others on the ground to examine their prospective base and get to work. The lack of light was an issue, so he asked Iona if she would help.
Investigation: 1d20+13 20
Not including whatever the lightning penalty is or if assistance cancels it out.
Last edited by EnigmaticOne on Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Games