Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Harley Quinn! Starfire! Batgirl! The Young X-Men!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Hah- that's funny. One of the things that was bothering me about RWBY was that the battles were basically never-ending Spinning Calisthenics, with people jumping all over the place at lightning speeds, never "selling" a single hit like it hurt. I compared it to something I've bashed before- those CGI fight scenes did between video game characters (Samus Aran vs. Halo chick, etc.). Turns out there's a reason I found them so similar- it was all animated by the same guy.

But yeah, when it comes to fight scenes... slow stuff down. React like things hurt. Pro wrestling has a term for those kinds of battles- Spotfests. Guys literally just running from one "spot" to the other. The BEST matches of all time? Are ones where the guys act like things HURT. Look at the fights in Justice League Unlimited, where guys actually slow down with each hit, drag themselves up off the ground, and fight with more and more raw aggression (losing accuracy & finesse) as the battles go on. THAT is how a good fight scene is done. Animated Spotfests just don't appeal to me.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

So...
Moon Prism Power
Rainbow Moon Heart Ache
Mercury Aqua Rhapsody
Jupiter Thunder Crash

is okay? ;)
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

FuzzyBoots wrote:Regarding Herman Glob, does it make sense to give him something for his ability to set himself on fire without hurting himself and being able to throw globs of himself? I never got the impression that it was terribly powerful, but decent against baselines and making people even less likely try to grab him.
Good idea- I'll throw a 20-point Immunity on him (apparently he can "coat others" with his skin (EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW) and give them some of the same benefits.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Spectrum wrote:So...
Moon Prism Power
Rainbow Moon Heart Ache
Mercury Aqua Rhapsody
Jupiter Thunder Crash

is okay? ;)
Watch those shows- every villainous attack is treated like it HURTS in Sailor Moon. Nobody moves at the speed of light, with random camera angles.

That said... nobody watches Sailor Moon for the fight scenes. Every character has like 1-2 attacks, tops.
Jabroniville

Loa

Post by Jabroniville »

LOA (Alani Ryan)
Created By:
Nunzio DeFilippis, Christina Weir & Carlo Barberi
First Appearance: New Mutants #11 (April 2004)
Group Affiliations: X-Students
Role: Background Character
PL 7 (132)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 1 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+6)
Deception 1 (+2)
Expertise (Pop Culture) 2 (+2)
Expertise (Atlantis) 4 (+4)
Perception 2 (+2)
Expertise (Surfing) 5 (+7) -- Uses Agility

Advantages:
Equipment 2 (X-Student Uniform- Communications, Protection +1, Atlantean Pendant- Immunity to Drowning & Pressure), Ranged Attack

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Matter Dissolution" Both Powers Linked
Movement 2 (Permeate 2) Linked to Damage 9 (Extras: Reaction +3) Linked to Weaken Toughness 9 (Extras: Reaction +3, Affects Objects) [85]

Offense:
Unarmed +5 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Matter Dissolution +5 (+9 Damage & Weaken, DC 24 & 19)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +1 (+2 Uniform), Fortitude +3, Will +4

Complications:
None

Total: Abilities: 24 / Skills: 18--9 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 85 / Defenses: 11 (132)

-Loa's a neat little character, a cute, tiny Hawai'ian girl with a Matter Dissolution power. It makes her horribly redundant when ANOTHER Aura Corrosion guy is hanging around (Wither), but now that he's defected, it's okay. She really hasn't been given anything resembling characterization yet, just being lucky enough to survive Decimation, do a few things in a Limbo-based fight, and hook up with Elixir. Since the New/Young X-Men book's been utterly cancelled, most likely her appearances will be further limited- she was one of the least-used X-kids.

-Loa isn't much of a fighter, but has a HUGELY powerful corrosive power that can damage AND weaken materials and people. In addition, she can also Permeate through things at the same time, destroying them as she goes. Stuff basically hits her, and IMMEDIATELY disintegrates into refuse- she's re-killed Zombie-Acolytes (Mellencamp, Delgado & Cortez) in a single shot, and done the same to a Sentinel once (though those things go from PL 10 Monsters to Jobbers so fast I can't believe it...). As it stands, she's a one-trick-pony with a really good PL 7 trick- her power is EXCEEDINGLY dangerous, so only her lack of combat ability keeps her relatively low-end (note that she's like PL 4 defensively).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Match

Post by Jabroniville »

MATCH (Ben Hammil)
Created By:
Nunzio DeFilippis, Christina Weir & Keron Grant
First Appearance: New Mutants #5 (Nov. 2003)
Group Affiliations: X-Students, The Young X-Men
Role: Generic Guy, Blaster
PL 8 (103)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 3 (+5)
Athletics 2 (+3)
Deception 2 (+4)
Expertise (Pop Culture) 3 (+3)
Intimidation 2 (+4)
Perception 2 (+2)
Persuasion 2 (+4)
Ranged Combat (Fire) 2 (+7)

Advantages:
Equipment (X-Student Uniform- Communications, Protection +1), Ranged Attack 3, Set-Up

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Pyrokinesis"
"Boosted Aura" Flame Aura 4 (Feats: Dynamic) (17) -- [25]
  • Dynamic AE: "Controlled Fire" Damage 7 (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Shapeable) (15)
  • Dynamic AE: "Fire Control" Move Object 8 (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Perception Range) (Flaws: Limited to Fire) -- Note: Uses Volume instead of Mass
  • Dynamic AE: "Fire Wave" Damage 7 (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Area- 60ft. Cone) (15)
  • Dynamic AE: Fire Blast 7 (Feats: Dynamic) (15)
Flame Aura 3 [12]
Immunity 10 (Fire & Heat Effects) [10]

Offense:
Unarmed +5 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Fire Aura +5 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Full Aura +5 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Fire Blast +7 (+7 Ranged Damage, DC 22)
Fire Area Effects +7 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +2 (+3 Uniform), Fortitude +4, Will +4

Complications:
Prejudice (Obvious Mutant)- Match's head is always at least a little bit on fire.
Power Loss (Fire Powers)- Water immertion will naturally depower Match a little bit.

Total: Abilities: 28 / Skills: 18--9 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 47 / Defenses: 14 (103)

-Match just kinda HAD to be there: "Fire Guy" is such an iconic, basic power-set of superhero books that it'd be funny if a mass batch of students with crap like "Technopathy" and "Precognition" and "Lizard Anatomy" didn't also include a Fire Guy in it. He's a pretty generic background character, not doing all that much, but he's still got all his powers and stuck around on the background of the team, so that's something. He hasn't done anything for a LONG time, however.

-A very standard "Pyrokinetic" build, complete with a partially active Aura that can be fully-increased with his Dynamic Array, some Area Blasts, Fire Control, Immunity to Fire, etc. He's not too bad actually, but falls well short of where a professional superhero should be, and would get absolutely WORKED by one of the original New Mutants or an X-Man solo.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Network & No-Girl

Post by Jabroniville »

"I'm as MAD AS HELL, and I'm not going to take this anymo-- wait, wrong Network. Sorry."

NETWORK (Sarah Vale)
Created By:
Nunzio DeFilippis, Christina Weir & Michael Ryan
First Appearance: New X-Men: Academy X #12 (2005)
PL 3 (53)
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA 1 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 1
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Deception 1 (+1)
Expertise (Computers) 6 (+8)
Expertise (Business) 2 (+4)
Expertise (Pop Culture) 1 (+3)

Advantages:
Equipment (X-Student Uniform- Communications, Protection +1), Ranged Attack 2

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Technopathy"
Communication (Computers) 3 (Feats: Dynamic) (16) -- [18]
  • Dynamic AE: Move Object 8 (Flaws: Limited to Machines) (Feats: Dynamic) (9)
Offense:
Unarmed +4 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +4 (DC 14), Toughness +1 (+2 Uniform), Fortitude +3, Will +3

Complications:
Relationship (Sister, Preview)

Total: Abilities: 20 / Skills: 10--5 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 18 / Defenses: 7 (53)

-Another simple one, Network was Preview's sister- a "technopath" who could talk to machines, and died on the Busplosion. The normal build, plus some smarts (she was voted "Most Likely To Be Rich" by her classmates), and the Datalink power (that's what it was called in 2e, anyway), with an Alt-Effect for Machine Control. Very simple, but I'm not sure if she has the "Animate Machinery" power- it seems she's just a hacker-type from the online bios, but anyone with further knowledge, feel free to help me out.

NO-GIRL (Martha Johannson)
Created By:
Grant Morrison & Ethan Van Sciver
First Appearance: New X-Men #118 (Nov. 2001)
Role: Freaky Character
PL 10 (53)
STRENGTH
-4 STAMINA -2 AGILITY -3/0
FIGHTING 0 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE -1

Skills:
Deception 4 (+3)

Advantages:
Equipment 2 (Brain Jar)

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Telepathic Effects"
"Psycho-Chaffe" Affliction 10 (Will; Dazed/Stunned/Transformed to Random, Stupid Actions) (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Area- 120ft. Burst +3, Selective) (51) -- [59]
  • Dynamic AE: "Telepathy" Mind-Reading 8 Linked to Communication (Mental) 2 (Feats: Dynamic) (25)
  • Dynamic AE: Nullify Mutant Powers 10 (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Broad, Simultaneous, Area- 30ft. Burst) (40)
  • Dynamic AE: "Mental Detection" Senses 4 (Mental Awareness, Radius, Extended, Acute) (Feats: Dynamic) (5)
  • Dynamic AE: Mind Control 8 (Feats: Dynamic) (Flaws: Physical Body is Defenseless) (25)
Equipment:
"Brain Jar"
Flight 2 (8 mph) (Flaws: Hovering) (2)
Protection 2 (2)
Enhanced Agility 3 (6)

Offense:
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (+4 Jar, DC 14), Parry +4 (DC 14), Toughness -2 (+2 Brain Jar), Fortitude +2, Will +5

Complications:
Prejudice (Obvious Mutant)- No-Girl is a brain in a flying jar.
Disabled (Mute)- Martha can only communicate via Telepathy.
Disabled/Weakness (Immobile)- Martha cannot move without her special Jar. She will also quickly die without it.

Total: Abilities: -16 / Skills: 4--2 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 59 / Defenses: 17 (53)

-Ya just gotta love some of these character designs. No-Girl is a wacky mix of crazy appearance (Brain in a Jar- and where else but comics do you get to type that up like thirty times while describing weird characters?), bizarre powers ("Pycho-Chaffe") and a weird personality (a non-talkative oddity who speaks through those she controls and casually decides to take up superheroics). She's shown up from time to time as an iconic "weird mutant", but I don't expect to see a lot of her- she's just TOO odd, even for this squad. She did appear a bit in the short-lived by very-fun Spider-Man & The X-Men book. She was offered a new body by Mr. Sinister, but rejected it due to his evil nature and the fact that it was a clone of Storm's body, not her original one.

-Martha's gotta be one of the more interesting mixes of powers I've ever had to stat up. Having poor Physical Scores (being an immobile brain), she gets a boost from her Brain Jar Equipment, but is still a very fragile (as in a Toughness Save of +0) Glass Cannon, able ot dole out wicked punishment mentally. See, her Psycho-Chaffe is basically a Mental Stun effect, hitting a wide burst of people in Perception Range. Then she can ALSO nullify mutant powers (probably by mental control), or just communicate telepathically. She's be quite powerful, but even one hit is likely to KO her, and she starts dying VERY quickly if busted out of her glass shell.
Jabroniville

Preview

Post by Jabroniville »

PREVIEW (Jessica Vale)
Created By:
Nunzio DeFilippis, Christina Weir & Michael Ryan
First Appearance: New X-Men: Academy X #12 (2005)
PL 3 (33)
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA 1 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 1
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Deception 2 (+2)

Advantages:

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Precognition"
Senses 4 (Precognition) [4]

Offense:
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +4 (DC 14), Toughness +1 (+2 Uniform), Fortitude +3, Will +3

Complications:
Relationship (Sister, Network)
Responsibility (Lack of Surprises)- Preview will not engage in activities that she knows are destined to fail. Similarly, she is rather bored by the lack of mystery in her life.

Total: Abilities: 16 / Skills: 4--2 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 4 / Defenses: 8 (33)

-Preview is, of course, Precognitive. That's it. Given the most minor of characterization (her sister is also a mutant X-Student, she won't engage in activities she thinks are predestined to fail, etc.), she lost her powers after M-Day, but is actually alive. Honestly, no thought went into her- she's just background material- she even has the same powers (but less so) than Blindfold (who, admittedly, was created later). Preview's so simple she's only 4 points above the standard Template- a little weaker, but smarter, and having 4 points of Powers. As simple as it gets; a total non-combatant.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

You forgot Micromax amongst your list of size-shifting X-People... and no one blames you. Micromax really isn't worth remembering.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

Batgirl III wrote:You forgot Micromax amongst your list of size-shifting X-People... and no one blames you. Micromax really isn't worth remembering.
Hey I like Micromax, he even has a couple of decent power 'feats' to his name.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Horsenhero

Post by Horsenhero »

M4C8 wrote:
Batgirl III wrote:You forgot Micromax amongst your list of size-shifting X-People... and no one blames you. Micromax really isn't worth remembering.
Worst thing about Micromax? His codename is Micromax.
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

Flubber (Nick Shelley)
Gloom (Jordan Lewis)

For quick bio info (Like real names for example) MarvelDatabase.com is probably your best bet. It's not perfect but if that type of info has been released that's the site that will probably have it. Other sites I tend to visit are Marvunapp.com, uncannyxmen.net, comicvine and of course Wikipedia and Marvel.com
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Horsenhero wrote:
M4C8 wrote:
Worst thing about Micromax? His codename is Micromax.
I actually really like Micromax's codename, although the gamer in me kinda wishes it was Minmax. 8-)

I even like him as a character, he has just always kinda been "stuck" in books that are almost always mediocre.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

M4C8 wrote:Flubber (Nick Shelley)
Gloom (Jordan Lewis)

For quick bio info (Like real names for example) MarvelDatabase.com is probably your best bet. It's not perfect but if that type of info has been released that's the site that will probably have it. Other sites I tend to visit are Marvunapp.com, uncannyxmen.net, comicvine and of course Wikipedia and Marvel.com
Ah, OK. I usually skip it if it doesn't show up on Wikipedia the first time I check. I don't think I've seen the database site before... oh wait, that's the Wikia site. Never mind.
Jabroniville

Quill (X-Student)

Post by Jabroniville »

QUILL III (Max Jordan)
Created By:
Nunzio DeFilippis & Christina Weir
First Appearance: New X-Men: Academy X #1 (2004)
PL 5 (68)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Deception 4 (+5)
Sleight of Hand 2 (+4)
Stealth 4 (+6)

Advantages:

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Quills"
Damage 2 (Extras: Reaction +3) [8]
"Quill Shot" Blast 6 (Extras: Multiattack) [18]

Offense:
Unarmed +4 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Quills +4 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Quill Shot +4 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +2 (+3 Uniform), Fortitude +4, Will +3

Complications:
Prejudice (Obvious Mutant)

Total: Abilities: 24 / Skills: 12--6 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 26 / Defenses: 9 (68)

-Quill, for such a bad name, is a REALLY common one in Marvel Comics, showing up on FOUR characters so far, including this one, a minor background guy in the X-Students roster. Oddly, almost all of them are mutants. He was a Corsair (Cyclops' students), but then got caught stealing some test paper answers by Kitty Pryde, who sent him to be punished by Gambit (who, of course, being Gambit, taught them some REAL thieving techniques). That was about it for him, as he was De-Powered, then killed via Busplosion. Well, it wasn't like "Quill Guy" was a necessary power-set to show up in comics, and he likely never would've amounted to anything, but the fact that twenty named characters died in one casual moment of killing still seems amazing, even for comics.

-And for the record, Quill I was one of the "Warpies" created by the Jasper's Warp in Captain Britain, and was frequently used by various evil people and government agencies (but I'm being reduntant), before being depowered by the Captain. Quill II was a member of the Resistants, added after most of the others (who were former minions of Magneto in the Captain America book- this was during the time when X-Men had been cancelled). Quill III was a combatant in "The Arena" during Claremont's X-Treme X-Men series. Pretty much every one of them has identical powers to Quill IV here.

-A bit tougher than the usual run-of-the-mill student, Quill has a Multi-Blast (a rarity for this team) and a minor Aura effect, and is a bit better at fighting than some, but is still a pretty minor character. Note that there's a red-skinned uglier kid named Spike who was ALSO an X-Student, and had identical powers minus the "Shooting" part, but made no reappearances and is presumed dead.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.