[OOC...MnM 3e] Civitas Crew (Fully staffed)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
betterwatchit

Re: [OOC...MnM 3e] Civitas Crew (Recruiting until 1/23- 5 days)

Post by betterwatchit »

And you can play as a magical girl in Pathfinder too. Just play as a Vigilante (Ultimate Intrigue) with the Magical Child archetype. :D
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

jmucchiello wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:31 am I thought the idea of her being a magical girl was fairly self-evident. (And in a D&D game on Enworld I'm actually playing a pixie druid so I was have "am I on the right board?" issues.)
I hope you didn't take my comment badly - it was all in jest.
While aware of the tropes and the archetype, its not one that comes up for me often so it's not that obvious to me unless you hit me over the head with it...

@Epic... done.
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Bladewind's 3ed M&M Builds
The Merge Setting document
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

I have internet! I shall have edits up for Darklite post haste!
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

3 cheers for the Internet being up.

Bladewind, no worries.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Made a tiny edit. Swapped out Contacts for Teamwork. Lacking Investigation skills, contacts doesn't make a lot of sense for Cat. Teamwork, on the other hand, would be indicative of her time spent training at Claremont.
Horsenhero

Post by Horsenhero »

Two more days to go. I'm pretty stoked to start really looking over the builds...and to get the couple we're still waiting on. I must admit, I've missed this.
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

I'm definitely interested in your game, so here's my character idea...

Alluvial (Kalyanee Sokunkanha)
Power Level 10, 150 points

Background
Kalyanee was born in the Cambodian city of Kampong Cham, the second of the three children of Norodom (a civil servant) and Ampor Sokunkanha (a midwife). Her older brother Norodom Junior is an officer in the Cambodian Army. Her younger sister Chhet is a doctor. After school she studied biology and ecology at the Royal University of Phnom Penh, and after graduation joined the Cambodian Ministry of Environment as an environmental scientist.

Unbeknownst to anyone outside a select group, the Cambodian Army were conducting what they called Project Naga, experimenting with spirit magic, chemicals and poisons to make super-soldiers, not caring about the harm their work was doing to the physical and metaphysical worlds. It is possible that this was related to the ancient Serpent People site located in the region [see page 189 of the Atlas of Earth Prime].

As part of her work for the Ministry of Environment, Kalyanee followed reports of a covered up chemical spill near the ancient city of Angkor Wat and stumbled across Project Naga.

Appalled by what she found, she intended to reveal Project Naga to the world. Unfortunately for her, she was betrayed by someone in the Ministry and captured by the forces of Project Naga. When they could not bribe, threaten or persuade her to keep silent they dumped her deep in the jungle where they thought there was no hope of her escaping or ever being found, so that she could die and untraceable ‘accidental’ death.

And in a way that did happen. She died in the jungle. At least her body did. But the spirits of the soil and the forest were offended by the actions of Project Naga. They saved her spirit from moving on to the afterlife and - with her wholehearted agreement - brought it back into the world in a form more fitting to protect them and the living world as a whole.

With her new powers she was able to smash the Project Naga facility - though very carefully not killing or seriously injuring anyone - and expose what they were doing to the world. This stopped what they were doing and in theory the whole project was closed down,

Unfortunately this did not make her popular with the Cambodian military or government, and for their own safety her family disowned her. Thus when UNISON came looking for recruits she jumped at the chance to do good somewhere else in the world and joined the Freedom City team under the nom de guerre of Alluvial.

Project Naga still exists, even more underground than it was before. They know she has powers and want her both for revenge and to learn what they are and how she got them so they can use them 'for the good of Cambodia'.

In addition to her work as a superhero, she continues to work as an ecologist, her powers giving her insight into things that she would otherwise not have.

She now has a post as a part-time Adjunct Professor in the Earth Sciences Department at Freedom City University. She donates most of her salary from this to various environmental charities as she has little need for physical goods and living space.

Once she had smashed Project Naga she returned to the jungle and found her human body, giving it a proper burial. Apart from her skull which she somewhat morbidly keeps in pride of place in her home. Sometimes she talks to it, almost as a way of talking to herself.

Description
Since her rebirth, she is a person made of smooth soil rather than flesh. She is quite short and slender, making her a lot stronger than she appears. Her earth form is similar to her old human form but ... smoothed out ... with some of the detail lost. She smells of healthy soil, with spikey roots for hair, and stones for eyes and teeth. She appears to be dressed in tight soil-coloured clothes, but these are actually part of her.

Quiet and polite, but strong willed, persistent and willing to work and fight for what she believes in. Kalyanee is grateful to the spirits who gave her her rebirth as Alluvial, and maintains a shrine to them in a quiet part of Liberty Park.

Born and raised a Buddhist, since being empowered by the local spirits she has rather lapsed from this and now follows the more animistic Cambodian indigenous religion.

In addition to her native Khmer, she speaks fluent English and French with a Khmer accent.

Powers and Abilities
As a being of earth she is stronger and tougher than a normal human, and is immune to a number of the environmental hazards that beings made of flesh are vulnerable to. However, she is still vulnerable to some. Heat dries her out and makes her body start to crumble. Immersion in water starts to dissolve her.

Her body heals more quickly than a normal person, especially when in contact with soil.

She can control the earth of her body to allow her to ‘surf’ across the ground at high speed, even when prone, and even across vertical and upside-down surfaces. This leaves a trail of dusty soil behind her as she goes. She can also sink into the ground and ‘swim’ though it at equally high speed. She prefers to sleep underground.

All of her senses are highly acute. She can see in darkness, and through the soil, and her sense of smell and taste are highly enhanced to recognise and track by scent. She can also feel and hear through the soil up to perhaps 250 feet away. The spirits that empowered her keep in touch from time to time.

She is a trained ecologist, and as part of her fieldwork skills she has learned investigatory skills that serve her well in non-scientific endeavours as well. She speaks English and French in addition to her native Khmer.

ABILITIES
Strength 8, Stamina 10, Agility 0, Dexterity -1,
Fighting 0, Intellect 2, Awareness 6, Presence 0
Total: 50 points

ADVANTAGES
Animal Empathy, Diehard, Equipment – 1, Great Endurance, Interpose, Jack of All Trades,
Languages – 2 [English and French; Khmer native], Move By Attack, Well Informed
Total: 10 points

SKILLS
Close Combat: Unarmed 12 (+12), Expertise: Ecology 8 (+10),
Investigation 12 (+14), Perception 14 (+20), Stealth 6 (+6)
Total: 26 points

POWERS
Body of Soil (19 points)
Immunity - 8 (Suffocation Underground, Cold, Pressure, Disease, Poison, Starvation, Criticals);
Protection - 5; Regeneration – 2; Regeneration - 8, Source: Soil

Earthly Movement (16 points)
Speed - 9 (1000 mph) ['Earth Surfing']; Movement: Slithering

Array: Earth Movement (5 points)
  1. Movement: Wall Crawling - 2 (4 points)
  2. Movement: Permeate - 3, Continuous - 1, Limited: Through Soil Only - 3 (1 point)
Earth Senses (7 points)
Acute Olfactory; Tracking (Olfactory); Feature: Taste for the Soil
[She understands the quality, composition and taints within soils she touches];
Darkvision; Vision Penetrates Concealment, Limited: Through Soil Only

Feeling Through the Soil (8 points)
Remote Sensing – 3 (Hearing and Touch; 250 feet range), Simultaneous – 3, Medium – 3 (Earth), Subtle – 2

Advised by the Spirits (1 point)
Feature: Advised by the Spirits
[The spirits that empowered her still talk to her from time to time. Mostly this is just motivational but they may sometimes off advise, clues or problems that they think she should be aware of.]

Total: 50 points

DEFENCES
Dodge +5, Parry +5, Fortitude +10, Toughness +15, Will +10
Total: 14 points

OFFENCE
Initiative +0
Unarmed +12, Close, Damage 8, Critical 20
Thrown +0, Ranged, Damage 8, Critical 20

Throwing Distances
1600kg: 40m; 800kg: 80m; 100kg: 500m; 50kg: 1000m

LIFTING STRENGTH
6 tons

EQUIPMENT
A full service smart phone that can't be readily tracked back to your secret I.D. or hacked without a high degree of difficulty (5 equipment points).
First aid kit.

COMPLICATIONS
Motivation: Justice, especially for the Environment.
Enemy: The Cambodian Military, after her exposing and ending Project Naga they know she has powers and want her both for revenge and to learn what they are and how she got them.
Prejudice: Her strange appearance as a woman made of soil means people can react negatively to her.
Code of Honour: Will Not Kill. As a Buddhist, she will defend the right, but will not take lives.
Weakness: She is vulnerable to water-based attacks, as these tend to wash away parts of her earthen body. Normal rain or a household shower are not a threat to her, but a fire hose or prolonged immersion in water definitely are.

POWER POINT TOTALS
Abilities 50 + Skills 26 + Advantages 10 + Powers 50 + Defences 14 = 150
Last edited by Tony Jones on Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:04 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

Listed updated
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Bladewind's 3ed M&M Builds
The Merge Setting document
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

Okay, so as much as I hate to miss a chance at this game, I am not going to be able to have a submission together by the deadline. New job, and the training time, are eating my brain.

Good luck everyone, and I will be reading your adventures.
Shock

Post by Shock »

I'm kind of stuck creatively and will probably end up with a recycled character HH has seen at least once before

Either that or a robot
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Oooh, a robot?
Now I'm curious.
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

Quick question - how many Equipment Points is a full featured modern smartphone? Looking at the book you could make a case for 5 or more.
Adventure Dan

Post by Adventure Dan »

DOCTOR OOZE
PL 10
What's this? A handsome family picnic woefully underpopulated by ooze? A large influx of ooze oughta put a stop to that!

Height: Variable
Weight: Variable
Eyes: Red
Hair: None
Skin: Green
Race: Human Mutate
Identity: Public

ABILITIES:
STRENGTH 6, STAMINA 6, AGILITY 1, DEXTERITY 1, FIGHTING 5, INTELLECT 8, AWARENESS 3, PRESENCE 1

SKILLS:
Athletics 3 (+9), Close Combat (Unarmed) 5 (+10), Expertise: Science 8 (+16), Investigation 2 (+10), Perception 4 (+7), Persuasion 5 (+6), Technology 5 (+13), Treatment 4 (+12)

ADVANTAGES:
Benefit (Status), Eidetic Memory, Inventor, Skill Mastery (Expertise: Science), Teamwork, Ultimate Effort (Expertise: Science), Well-informed, Diehard, Speed of Thought

POWERS:
Flexible Thinking: Quickness 2 (Limited to mental tasks only), Enhanced Trait 1 (Speed of Thought); 2 PP

Slime Physiology: Elongation 1 (15 feet), Immunity 11 (Critical Hits, Disease, All Environmental Conditions, Poison, Suffocation), Impervious Toughness 5, Protection 4, Regeneration 1 (Every 10 rounds, Persistent), Enhanced Trait 1 (Diehard); 24 PP

Amorphous Shift: Variable 3 (Move Action, Limited to physical traits and enhancement of physical traits only, Quirk-Same green color); 20 PP

OFFENSE:
Initiative +8
Unarmed +10 (Close, Damage 6, DC 21)

DEFENSES:
Dodge +7, Parry +7
Toughness +10, Fortitude +9, Will +9

Abilities 62 + Powers 46 + Advantages 7 + Skills 18 + Defenses 17 = 150/150 PP

BACKGROUND:
- Phillip Warburton was a brilliant young man who attended the Hanover Institute of Technology (HIT) in Freedom City, eventually earning PhD's in biology and physics. It was there that he met his future wife, Susan Reynolds.
- Phillip and Susan had a daughter, Cristina. She was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer at a young age, and conventional treatments were ineffective.
- Phillip devoted himself entirely to finding a cure for his daughter. His single-mindedness led him to neglecting his family when they needed him most, and Phillip and Susan would separate.
- With the death of his daughter a near certainty, Phillip became desperate and reckless. One day, a lab accident exposed him to his would-be cure. Every cell in his body was broken down and mutated into a green, slime-like material. Phillip was presumed dead.
- Sometime later, Phillip regained consciousness, and reformed himself into a humanoid shape. His entire being was now an amorphous substance, granting him shapeshifting powers. He found out that, while he was recovering, Cristina had passed, and he was too late to save her.
- Phillip sought to honor the memory of his daughter. He would go on to become the host of a children's science program, taking on the stage name Dr. Ooze. He aimed to teach kids the wonders of science. When UNISON approached him, he agreed to join their team.

COMPLICATIONS:
Weaknesses: Dr. Ooze's body is more conductive and vulnerable to electrical attacks, taking an extra degree of failure against them. Extreme heat attacks can cause him to be unable to hold his shape, while extreme cold attacks can render him immobile.
As Seen On TV: Dr. Ooze is a TV show host and has a very unique appearance, making it easy to recognize him.
Relationship: With his ex-wife, Susan, the memory of his daughter, Cristina, and his HIT alumni.
Fatherly Instincts: Dr. Ooze is overly protective and concerned for the well-being of just about anyone younger than he is.
Motivation: To make the world a better place and inspire children everywhere.
Last edited by Adventure Dan on Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:29 am, edited 7 times in total.
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

Added some more details to Alluvial in terms of background and description.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Tony Jones wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:03 am Quick question - how many Equipment Points is a full featured modern smartphone? Looking at the book you could make a case for 5 or more.
I built Darklite's with 4. Cellphone, data, video recording and audio Recording. Smartphones have basic apps like calculators and date/time built in, so it doesn't seem necessary to give them additional points to add them, yeah? But being able to link online from wherever, or having solid video/audio recording does.