Bladewind's M&M 3ed Builds

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Goldar

Re: Bladewind's M&M 3ed Builds

Post by Goldar »

Happy New Year, my friend!

Really enjoying the characters from Artemis onward.
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

Thanks bud !
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Bladewind's 3ed M&M Builds
The Merge Setting document
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

The Nekhbet/ Adrianne Bayard (Rania Kephri)
PL10/150 PP

Abilities
Strength 2,
Stamina 3,
Agility 5,
Dexterity 5,
Fighting 8,
Intellect 3,
Awareness 2,
Presence 3

Powers
Nehkbet Uniform: (11 points)
Cowl: Senses 3 [Extended Vision, Low Light Vision, Radio Hearing; Removable -1],
Flight Harness: Flight 5 [Subtle, Safe Fall (Movement 1), Removable -2, Dynamic]
Alt: Precision Flight: Teleport 2 [Change Direction, Change Velocity, Turnabout, Quirk – Must be Flying to activate]
Dyn: Super Strength: Power-Lifting 5 [Dynamic]

Equipment

Advantages
Languages 2 [French (Native), English, Arabic],
Benefit 3 [Wealth],
Close Attack 5,
Defensive Roll 3,
Equipment 4,
Inventor,
Jack-of-all-Trades,
Move-By Action,
Power Attack,
Well-Informed,
Connected,
Contacts,
Favored Environment [Planned scenarios],
Benefit 2 [Cypher, Established Idenity]

Skills
Acrobatics 3 (+8),
Athletics 5 (+7),
Deception 10 (+13),
Expertise (+3),
Insight (+2),
Intimidation 3 (+6),
Investigation 1 (+4),
Perception 6 (+8),
Persuasion 9 (+12),
Ranged Combat: Throwing 7 (+12),
Sleight of Hand (+5),
Stealth 4 (+9),
Technology (+3),
Treatment 1 (+4),
Vehicles 1 (+6)

Offense
Initiative +5
Unarmed +13, Damage 2

Defense
Dodge 14,
Parry 14
Toughness 6 (Def Roll 3),
Fortitude 8,
Will 8

Power Points
Abilities 62 + Powers 11 + Advantages 26 + Skills 25 + Defenses 26 = Total 151

Complications
:!: Identity – The Nehkbet goes to great lengths to protect her secret identity
:!: Secrets - The Nekhbet is Adrianne Bayard, of French descent. She has gone to great lengths to create an additional identity with which to interact with her erstwhile teammates... and the fact that she is not the superhero she appears to be...
:!: Infatuation – Although Lady Bast overtly flirts and taunts the Scarab, it is in fact the Nekhbet that is attracted to him and wants to learn about the man behind the mask... (Ironic, considering the secrets she hides behind her own mask...)

Design Notes
:arrow: Essentially stat wise, The Nekhbet is the M&M Sentinels character The Rook with a few minor tweaks.
:arrow: frishDVH's Vulture... using an Egyptian Vulture goddess made perfect sense. Goddess of Upper Egypt, she was also a goddess of protection... Intertwining those concepts with the Marvel Comics or even MCU Vulture proved interesting... Until I toyed with protection in terms of a protection racket, the bright colors of the costume... and I came up with a character concept of a supervillain that poses as a superhero to hide her activities. In fact, Nekhbet is the leader of the Six (need a good name for them, or not... maybe they're more like a villainous version of "The Team" from Young Justice). There is Madame Pakhbet that appears to call the shots, but as Nekhbet is pretending to be a hero, its unlikely she'd be seen with the other five that are helping her plot the downfall of the Scarab...
:arrow: One of the changes I made (shaving points to remain successfully in the 150 PP allotment) was to add Favored Environment: Planned Scenarios. Saw it on a build somewhere and really liked the idea... A good way to replace "Master Plan" from 2nd Ed...
:arrow: In terms of damage, well, she'll almost always hit, but rarely inflict damage on foes without a weapon of some kind... which would come from the 4 Pts I sunk into EP but didn't spend...
:arrow: Decided to add an "Established Identity" to Bayard, and a complication. Essentially, Bayard is the only core member of this particular coterie that is not of Egyptian descent... (other than the Alien King Sobek, but she is not a part of the core group...) Therefore decided to give her a second identity and a complication of "Secret"

Background
Adrianne Bayard and her family are relatively recent arrivals to Freedom City, have move from France so that they could grow their business in the United States. They arrived when Adrianne was a child and she grew up in awe of the Freedom League and especially the Raven. Life was fairly easy for the youngster, an attractive young woman in a wealthy family...

Adrianne had it all but still managed to "work" her way up to being successful on her own, adding to the family's fortune as well as making her own name... Then boredom set in. Eventually, approached by Lady Bast and Madame Pakhbat on a more "above board" deal, Bayard eventually became a confidante of the two women and when the Scarab appeared on the scene, plans were set in motion to ensure his career would be a short one, or that he would give up his secrets to them...

To this end, Bayard created the identity of the Vulture, or rather, The Nekhbet. As a former patron goddess of Egypt and a Protector Goddess, she began to protect the streets of Freedom City. In truth, with the others in the group, she seeks to eliminate competition and to obtain secrets and lore related to the scarab. Bayard is convinced she knows who is behind the Scarab's mask, and as a result is all the more interested in winning the new hero to her side...
Last edited by Bladewind on Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:20 am, edited 4 times in total.
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

Do you do all of the artwork?

I am really enjoying the colors/patterns/designs/costumes! They are really very well done!
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

No - artist on deviantart - frishdvh

I wish I could draw half as well !
kirinke

Post by kirinke »

Lol. I can only do bad stick figures.
Kirinke's Compendium of Wondrous Creatures
Kirinke's Conversions (D&D Items to M&M3E Rules)

Battle Init
Viv: 24
Ren:22
Peekaboo: 20
Deutschritter: 19
Amy: 15
Angrboda: 15
Adeleth: 14
Thugs: 12
Lilly: 7
Alma: 5
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

The Awesome Ra/ Kamal Amon
PL10/155 PP

Abilities
Strength 3,
Stamina 2,
Agility 2,
Dexterity 1,
Fighting 5,
Intellect 0,
Awareness 1,
Presence 4

Powers
Power of the Sun: (83 points)
Flame's Kiss: Immunity 10 [(Fire Damage); Affects Objects, Affects Others, Shapeable Cloud Area, Sustained; Action (Move Action); Linked to all other fire powers],
Fire Shaping: Damage 10 [Ranged, Shapeable, Concentration, ]
Alt: Pyrokinesis: Damage 10 [Perception Range Shapeable Area ; Medium – Existing Fire]
Alt: Suffocation: Affliction 8 [(Dazed, Stunned, Incapacitated); Resisted/ Overcome by Fortitude; Ranged Progressive]
Alt: Warm : Environment (heat) 5 [Precise]

Advantages
All-out Attack,
Defensive Roll 3, Startle,
Attractive 1

Skills
Athletics (+3),
Close Combat: Unarmed 2 (+7),
Deception (+4),
Insight (+1),
Intimidation 4 (+8),
Perception (+1),
Persuasion 3 (+7),
Ranged Combat: Fire Powers 6 (+7),
Stealth (+2)

Offense
Initiative +2

Defense
Dodge 10,
Parry 8
Toughness 5 (Def Roll 3),
Fortitude 7,
Will 7

Power Points
Abilities 36 + Powers 83 + Advantages 6 + Skills 8 + Defenses 22 = Total 155

Complications
:!: The ties that bind - The Amazing Ra wants to be a hero, but his duty to family is greater. In the end, he will follow his sister's lead.
:!: Motivation - Thrills - Amon gets off on using his powers, on taking risks with them and being the center of attention...
:!: Secret - Not the Hero he appears to be...

Design Notes
:arrow: No House Rules in play, once again using frischDVH art. I "let" the build flow over by 5 points...
:arrow: Fire Control/ Pyrokinesis is a strange thing RAW... what I wanted was someone who could literally control flame so those around him - including objects - could be literally immune at his wish. Shapeable seemed to be the only extra that could cause fire to move at his command...
:arrow: He's dangerous, no mistake. But he's something of a one trick pony...
:arrow: As for his Immunity to Fire Damage and ability to affect others, the power was getting really expensive, and making him use a Move Action seemed appropriate..

Background
The Amazing Ra, while associated with the villains targeting the Scarab, is not part of their "inner circle." He is Madame Pakhbat's brother, a show-boat that actually wants to be a hero, but as he is the younger sibling he defers to his sister.

Amon is no genius, has no amazing story or origin to his powers... he's a metahuman with fire powers and happens to hail from Egypt. While his sister is a tactical genius and big game hunter, he "tags" along and rides the coattails of her fame, wealth and power.

To the public, he is a sometimes associate of the Nekhbet, a protector of people... the main differences between the two is that he wants to be he hero, he actually doesn't care about the Scarab or relics and artefacts from Ancient Egpyt... he just wants attention and adoration. One might even say, The Amazing Ra craves worship akin to the gods of old... How long until he starts looking for sacrifice and libation?
Last edited by Bladewind on Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

Lady Pakhbet/ Kamilah Nour Adom
PL 10/ 159 PP

Abilities
Strength 3,
Stamina 3,
Agility 6,
Dexterity 6,
Fighting 7,
Intellect 0,
Awareness 2,
Presence 1

Powers
Talents: (12 points)
Perfect Balance: Movement 2 [(Wall Crawling); Limited to Upright Movement],
Safe Fall: Movement 1,
Leaping 2,
Blindsight: Senses 6 [(Accurate, Analytical and Extended Hearing, Hearing Counters Illusion)]
Arsenal: (9 points)
Twin Kopesh: Damage 6 [Multiattack; Easily Removable -3]

Equipment
20 pts of EP as needed

Advantages
Defensive Roll 3,
All-Out Attack,
Power Attack,
Great Endurance,
Precise Attack 1 [Close],
Quick Draw,
Improved Initiative 1,
Takedown 1,
Tracking,
Equipment 4,
Benefit 3 [Wealth],
Great Endurance

Skills
Acrobatics 10 (+16),
Athletics 8 (+11),
Close Combat: Chosen Weapon 6 (+13),
Close Combat: Unarmed 4 (+11),
Deception 10 (+11),
Expertise: Survival 6 (+6),
Expertise: Weapons 6 (+6),
Insight 8 (+10),
Intimidation (+1),
Perception 6 (+8),
Persuasion (+1),
Stealth (+6),
Technology 6 (+6)

Offense
Initiative +10
Kopesh +11, Damage 9

Defense
Dodge 13,
Parry 13
Toughness 6 (Def Roll 3),
Fortitude 8,
Will 10

Power Points
Abilities 56 + Powers 21 + Advantages 19 + Skills 37 + Defenses 26 = Total 159

Complications
Honor: The Weapon Master abides by a warrior’s code of honor.
Motivation: Being the best, scoring the ultimate trophy, thrills

Design Notes
:arrow: When I first started this batch of characters, I was only going to take six of the eight that FrishDVH had drawn for his Egyptian themed Spiderman/ Scarab. Madame Pakkbet was going to be the leader of the group, or at least organizing it. But as I continued and reached the Nekhbet, my idea evolved into something more and Pakhbet moved down the hierarchy. Originally, King Sobek was her pet but I've move him to the Scorpion Queen's side...
:arrow: Madame Pakhbet - I am still looking for the reference used for the character's name - is a Kraven analogue. Originally I was going to have her rely solely on planning and equipment to best her foes, but damage and caps became impossible to reach. And while this is fine for some of the characters who are intended to only actually "act" or fight street level goons, for Pakhbet I added her swords as devices, which is why she is 9 points over the 150 PP budget I had allotted.
:arrow: Given the style of the armor, I also toyed with her being part of some kind of Royal Guard (a la Black Panther) or some kind of Egyptian Amazon (a la Bana Mighdall) but haven't really made a final decision...
:arrow: I listed the swords as part of an "Arsenal" as part of how the sheet I use works to create power groups, but also to indicate that if needed, she could swap out the swords for something else...
:arrow: Once again, inspired by FrischDVH's artwork, RAW/ no House Rules.
:arrow: She is the elder sibling and her brother would do anything for her, a trait she sometimes takes advantage of...
:arrow: She'd be a good candidate for powers from the Luck Power Profile: Lucky Escape (Immortality with plausible explanation) and Escape Notice (Passive Concealment).. but that's at least another 11 PP.

Background

Madame Pakhbet’s real name is Kamilah Nour Adom. She was born in Egypt and recruited at a young age to train and serve as part of an ancient secret society sworn with maintaining the secret of the Temple of Oth.

However, by the time Adom’s training had begun, Oth had already been freed and sought to establish himself as Black Anubis. Despite having failed in their centuries long mission to keep the location of the temple secret, the order continued to train members and dispatch them throughout the world to brace against the evil Oth would surely bring.

This was the primary reason why Adom and her brother moved to Freedom City. She was to establish a beachhead and a means to resist the demi-god should he ever appear.

To this end, Madame Pakhbet established herself not as a hero as might have been expected, but as a mercenary. She has been careful to keep her identity a secret and to accept only those jobs that don’t work against her long term goals. She uses the funds secured from these jobs to locate and obtain artefacts and relics that will one day help her brethren fight Oth...

In her search for artefacts, Madame Pakhbet has run afoul of Sylvia Browning, also known as Icon, the professor-turned-superhero. She seeks to gain the power of the jewelled amulet embedded in the hero’s hand… Adom feels Icon is unworthy to wield the powers that she stumbled upon and said powers…

With the arrival of the Scarab, Pakhbet feels it is now just a matter of time before Oth appears, using whatever name or identity he has crafted for himself… As such, she has decided to test the hero directly and indirectly. She has hunted the Scarab and nearly bested him on more than one occasion, has set events in motion that brought the possibly Jerreid King Sobek into conflict with legacy hero, as well as leaving a trail that put the Scarab on the trail of the Pyramid.

Adom has also found herself involved in a larger conspiracy in Freedom City than she ever intended. Working alongside Egyptian-themed “super-villains,” she has found herself in a cabal of sorts where moves and countermoves are the norm, where those that pretend to be heroes hide their true natures and it’s entirely possible that she has even become a pawn in the plan of that which she was bred to fight...

Last edited by Bladewind on Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

The Scorpion Queen/ Sabra El-Kahir
PL10/187 PP

Abilities
Strength 11,
Stamina 9,
Agility 2,
Dexterity 0,
Fighting 4,
Intellect 6,
Awareness 2,
Presence 2

Powers
Cybernetic Organism: (66 points)
Enhanced Strength 11,
Tail Venom_ Affliction 10 [(Disabled, Incapacitated) Resisted by Fortitude
Enhanced Stamina 8,
Machine Mind: Immunity 10 [(Mental Powers)],
Computer Mind: Quickness 6 [Limited to mental tasks],
Leg Hydraulics: Leaping 5,
Speed 3,
Wall Crawling: Movement 2,
Interface: Comprehend 1 [Machines]
Technomorph: (25 points)
Arm Blaster: Damage 10 [Ranged; Variable Descriptor (Electromagnetic)]
Alt: Control Technology: Affliction 10 [(Controlled; Resisted by Fortitude, Overcome by skill or Fortitude); Perception, Cumulative, Affects Objects Only; Limited Degree 2]
Alt: Deactivate Technology: Nullify 6 [Broad (Technological), Simultaneous]
Alt: Arm Snare: Affliction 10 [(Hindered and Vulnerable, Defenseless and Immobile), Resisted by Dodge; Extra Condition; Limited Degree; Enhanced Advantages 2 (Improved Grab, Weapon Break)]
Alt: Claws: Damage 2 [Strength Based; Secondary Effect]

Equipment

Advantages
Eidetic Memory,
Improved Grab,
Weapon Break
, Benefit 1 [Quickchange],
Equipment 3 [HQ],
Skill Mastery [Technology],
Accurate Attack,
All-Out Attack,
Improved Initiative 1,
Move-By Action,
Close Attack 3,
Inventor

Skills
Acrobatics 4 (+6),
Athletics (+11),
Close Combat: Unarmed 1 (+8),
Deception (+2),
Expertise: Sciences 6 (+12),
Insight 4 (+6),
Intimidation 8 (+10),
Perception 5 (+7),
Persuasion (+2),
Ranged Combat: Arm Blaster 10 (+10),
Stealth (+2),
Technology 8 (+14)

Offense
Initiative +6
Claw +7, Damage 13
Unarmed +8, Damage 11

Defense
Dodge 11,
Parry 11
Toughness 9 (Def Roll 0),
Fortitude 14,
Will 6

Power Points
Abilities 34 + Powers 91 + Advantages 14 + Skills 23 + Defenses 25 = Total 187

Complications
Motivation: Self Interests. Whatever they are, the Scoprion Queen is motivated in what's solely in her own best interest. Which means if turning on an ally is best, she will...

Design Notes
:arrow: The Scorpion Queen was not on my original list of "six" characters to set up as foes for The Scarab... and as such, I almost missed the obvious connection between her and "King Sobek."
:arrow: I'm also reminded about the story of the Scorpion and the Frog... which might be more aptly named the Scorpion and the Alligator...
:arrow: For the record, once again art by frischDVH, no House Rules in effect, aimed for PL 10/150 PP (but my villains tend to get expensive)...
:arrow: Although a Mac Gargan (or other version of the Marvel Scoprion) analogue, I decided to go more tech based, and consequently something (in my mind) more of a threat than the source material... Which basically means, than other than name/ motif and a visual resemblance, the Scorpion Queen has little in common with the Scorpion...

Background
Sabra El-Kahir’s first appearance in Freedom City was behind the scenes… she contracted Sandstone to acquire supplies, funds and a location to establish a base of operations that would allow her to operate in relative secrecy and be able to put her plans in motion. And although the Scorpion Queen was ready to betray Sandstone if it served her interests, the mercenary left with her pay and the two may cross paths again…

The arrival of the Scorpion Queen in Freedom City coincides with the debut of the latest incarnation of the Scarab, and although El-Kahir would love to add his resources and abilities to her personal stable of assets she arrived at the same time by coincidence.

Hailing from Egypt, El-Kahir would claim she was an orphan on the streets if ever interrogated. The truth is something she keeps well hidden but it is clear her intelligence and education are not those of someone who grew up in poverty… Likewise, the origin of her powers is another tightly guarded secret, one which she would claim was an experiment that was forced upon her and bound her to the tech that is her cybernetic form. But the metal doesn’t register as native to Earth and the tech and circuits that compose her armoured form are something that would challenge even Daedalus. At the end of the day, the Scorpion Queen may be an alien life form - a mechanoid that has simply imprinted on a homeless girl to provide her some sense of disguise or identity that she can use to further her goals…
Last edited by Bladewind on Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thorpocalypse

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Bladewind wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:28 pm No - artist on deviantart - frishdvh

I wish I could draw half as well !
Have I taught you all nothing in our years on these boards? You ALWAYS take the credit! ;)

Nice stuff, Bladewind.
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

Thorpocalypse wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:23 am Have I taught you all nothing in our years on these boards? You ALWAYS take the credit! ;)

Nice stuff, Bladewind.
You never fail to bring a smile Thorp.
And thanks for the kind words.
Bladewind

Re: Bladewind's M&M 3ed Builds - The Scorpion Queen

Post by Bladewind »

double post...
Last edited by Bladewind on Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

Black Set/ Enrique Carlos Delgado
PL11/198 PP

Abilities
Strength 8,
Stamina 6,
Agility 2,
Dexterity 1,
Fighting 6,
Intellect 2,
Awareness 1,
Presence 4

Powers
Hidden Grue: (37 points)
Grue Morphology: Morph 1 [Voice Mimicry],
Telepathic Polyglot: Comprehend 2 [Understand All, Be Understood; Selective],
Toughened Hide: Protection 4 [Sustained],
Perfect Balance: Movement 2 [“Wall Crawling Limited to Upright Movement”],
Enhanced Strength 6, Enhanced Stamina 4
Death's Claw: (35 points)
Brain Drain: Affliction 11 [(Resisted and Overcome by Will; Impaired, Disabled, Incapacitated); Progressive]
Alt: Electric Grasp: Damage 11 [Secondary Effect]
Alt: Kinetic Wave: Move Object 11 [On a successful hit, and the target fails a Strength check against your effect rank, they are flung back a distance equal to your effect rank minus their mass rank.; Cone Area; Limited to Flinging Targets Away, ; Linked Damage 11]
Staff of Set: (20 points)
Removable (-5 points)
Soulfire: Damage 11 [Alternate Resistance: Will, Ranged]
Alt: Blast of Fire: Damage 11 [Cone Area]
Alt: Lightning Bolt: Damage 11 [Ranged]
Alt: Thrown Spear: Strength Based Damage 6 [Ranged, Accurate 2]
Death Glider: (2 points)
Hard to Remove (-1 point)
Flight 5 [Platform; Removable]

Advantages
Defensive Roll 2,
Improved Initiative 1
Benefit 4 [Wealth],
Close Attack 5,
Diehard,
Extraordinary Effort,
Move-By Action,
Power Attack,
Ranged Attack 5, S
tartle, Taunt

Skills
Acrobatics 5 (+7),
Athletics 3 (+11),
Deception 6 (+10),
Expertise: Business 8 (+10),
Insight 4 (+5),
Intimidation 6 (+10),
Perception 4 (+5),
Persuasion (+4),
Ranged Combat: Staff 5 (+11),
Stealth 4 (+6),
Technology 3 (+5)

Offense
Initiative +6
Unarmed +11, Damage 8
Death's Claw +11, Damage 11
Staff of Set +11, Damage 11
Thrown Spear +8, Damage 14

Defense
Dodge 8,
Parry 10
Toughness 12 (Def Roll 2),
Fortitude 10,
Will 6

Power Points
Abilities 40 + Powers 94 + Advantages 23 + Skills 24 + Defenses 19 = Total 200

Complications
:!: Secret – Hidden One. Black Set is a Grue Metamorph with his identity and abilities deeply buried until such time as the Meta-Mind activates him.
:!: Secret Identity – Black Set is actually Enrique Carlos Delgado Cruz, son of Sophia Cruz...
:!: Know's the Scarab's Identity: This actually is something that grants the Scarab a HP when brought to bear, but Black Set knows who the Scarab is providing the ever-present danger of public exposure, as well as potentially targeting Dylan’s family and friends

Design Notes
:arrow: A Green Goblin analogue, frischDVH expressed that he had intended to include a “Goblin Glider,” but had drawn the character too low on the page, so I gave him one…
:arrow: Once again, RAW, striving for somewhere around the PL 11/ 165 PP (and stopping at 198...) range as I wanted him more powerful than the other villains yet not so powerful that he could not be defeated by the Scarab.
:arrow: Making him a Grue Hidden One (or sleeper agent), gave me the excuse to allow for red skin and the almost flame-like detail the artist gave the character around the edge of the cowl/ headpiece.
:arrow: I have purposefully “toned” down the Grue powers on this character - should he regain his full identity and learn the true nature of his mission as determined by the Meta-Mind, he will either go completely rogue from his species, or become a potentially greater threat than he already is. At that time, his stats can be adjusted to reflect the full gamut of a Grue’s shape changing ability.
:arrow: Having said that, I probably could have simply used a 1 point Feature instead of a full rank of Morph to represent the idea that Black Set is aware of Delgado and can assume his identity…
:arrow: The “Goblin Gear'' has a bit of a Go’a’uld feel to it… Realized as I was going that I did that, but I think it works. Probably stemmed from calling the Goblin Glider a “Death Glider.” But putting the Grue “Brain Drain” and it’s alternate effects into a claw based attack rather seems like a Ribbon Device and I definitely get a Staff Weapon feel from his staff...

Background
The demonic-looking entity known as Black Set in actuality Enrique Carlos Delgado Cruz, son of Sophia CD, CEO of the Rhodes Foundation. This is a fact that he, along with the rest of their family, is completely unaware.

The powers and paraphernalia of Black Set came to him during an event that many would refer to as a breakout - where powers manifest in dramatic and forceful situations. This is only partially correct in the case of Black Set… (Well, that and some latent memories from the Grue collective.)

Through countless hours of research, Adrianne Bayard discovered that Sophia Cruz had some sort of tie to the Scarab. She was never able to determine exactly what, but Bayard wanted that knowledge at almost any cost. Arranging for Delgado Cruz to be kidnapped, she subjected the wealthy CEO's son to a series of tortures designed to break him. Things didn’t go quite as planned. Unbeknownst to Bayard, and to Delgado Cruz for that matter, is that the man everyone assumed to be an unassuming and ordinary person was in fact a Grue spy, buried deep in the persona crafted by the Meta-Mind… Bayard’s machination created a third personality in the alien, one that latched on to the Egyptian theme of Bayard’s lair.

Now, with his abilities partially restored, Black Set emerged to terrorize people and establish himself as a powerful player in Freedom City’s Underground. He was successful, taking some of Bayard’s position and power from her - although part of this is a ruse on her part to set up a proxy in case her power base should crumble.

With his ties - both real and inferred - to the other Egyptian themed villains to appear since the rebirth of the Scarab, Black Set has proven to be cunning, manipulative and extremely dangerous. Moreso because of the fact that while Delgado Cruz does not know of his alter ego, Black Set seems to be aware of it and has taken Delgado Cruz’s form without reverting to the latter’s persona on at least one occasion. This includes Black Set knowing the true identity of the Scarab, allowing him to attack the hero in ways others cannot. (Black Set is fully aware of the power this grants him and he keeps it a closely guarded secret.)

Should something happen to Delgado Cruz, it would be interesting to see if his son would in turn take up the mantle of Set like the analogues on which the character is based, The Green Goblin… Norman and then Harry.
Last edited by Bladewind on Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

The Sphinx/ Tarek El-Karim

PL11/ 291 PP (179 PP)

Abilities
Strength 0,
Stamina 2,
Agility 0,
Dexterity 0
Fighting 3,
Intellect 4,
Awareness 3,
Presence 5

Powers
More than Meets the Eye: (112 points)
Drones: Summon 10 [Heroic, Horde, Multiple Minions 3 (8 Drones), Variable Type; Self Powered; Mental Link, Sacrifice,]
Personal Illusion Tech: (60 points)
Illusory Concealment: Concealment 10 [(All Senses); Alternate Resistance (Will); Removable],
Illusory Concealment: Concealment 10 [(All Senses); Alternate Resistance (Will); Removable],
Illusory Double: Illusion 2 [(Visual and Aural); Limited to a Duplicate of yourself; Removable],
Illusory Disguise: Morph 2 [Resisted by Will; Removable],
Holographic Field: Illusion 10 [Visual and Audio; Burst Area; Removable]

Equip[ment
Primary HQ, three alternate location HQs
Equipment as needed

Advantages
Benefit 1 [Sense Memory ],
Inventor,
Improvised Tools,
Equipment 6 [HQ, Gear],
Fascinate 1 [Deception],
Improved Initiative 2,
Skill Mastery [Deception],
Jack-of-all-Trades

Skills
Acrobatics (+0),
Athletics (+0),
Deception 11 (+16),
Expertise: Special Effects 10 (+14),
Expertise: Technology 4 (+8),
Expertise: Pharmaceutics 8 (+12),
Expertise (+4), Insight 12 (+15),
Intimidation 4 (+9),
Investigation (+4),
Perception 4 (+7),
Persuasion 5 (+10),
Sleight of Hand (+0),
Stealth 10 (+10),
Technology 10 (+14),
Treatment (+4),
Vehicles (+0)

Offense
Initiative +8

Defense
Dodge 10
Parry 8
Toughness 2 (Def Roll 0),
Fortitude 8,
Will 14

Power Points
Abilities 34 + Powers 172 + Advantages 14 + Skills 39 + Defenses 32 = Total 291 (179 without Drone cost)

Complications
:!: Why so interesting? The Sphinx is just one of several new villains and would-be heroes to appear in the wake of the appearance of the Scarab. Why they have appeared versus and what they actually want is a matter of conjecture.
:!: Some Assembly Required - The Sphinx is at his most dangerous when he has time to plan. Apart from his "Favoued Environment Bonus," when forced to improvise his illusions or scenarios, it can work to a hero's advantage...
:!: Motiviation - Be the Best. Whatever he wants, however he acts, The Sphinx seeks recognition, fame and accolades...

Design Notes
:arrow: Latest (and last) in my builds of Egyptian based interpretations of Spider-Man villains by FrischDVH is The Sphinx. He didn’t actually state this was a Mysterio analogue, but I think it’s fairly clear…
:arrow: I really liked the Far From Home version of Mysterio, and it’s kind of in keeping with the others in this grouping of “villains” in that he appears to be on the side of the angels while actually serving his own ambitions…
:arrow: In keeping with the version, and really wanting to emulate the drones Mysterio uses instead of just putting “removable” on his illusion, I chose the (much) more expensive option of a Summon effect. Given the tech-based nature of the drones, it was an easy leap to also use tech for his personal illusory powers…
:arrow: The Drones are divided into two categories - Illusion and Damage, hence the Sphinx having Variable Type on his Summon Drones ability. The Damage drones usually operate within a given illusion, but with the Stealth Mode power on both models, they can fly virtually invisible to almost all types of detection. The Damage Drones use Tractor Beams and Magnetic Fields in addition to their weaponry to cause sandstorms, massive waves and the like to further enhance the Sphinx’s illusions.
:arrow: Although by the definition of the Sphinx’s power summons a total of eight drones, with the power’s description and the drones’ illusory powers, that number is generally much, much higher...
:arrow: Having a HQ with Favored Environment (Planned Scenario) gives the Sphinx the option of a third layer of illusions to confound his foe. The extra 3 alternate HQs allow for other setup areas...
:arrow: Using Summon made things easier and more difficult at the same time. It doesn’t really bother me that the characters themselves don’t fit their PL/PP ratios, but when using Minions, Sidekicks or Summon, the power itself limits the points available so rather than just let the go crazy and then make the base character that much more expensive, I actually made an effort to make the drones fit their PL/ PP ratios and be able to do what they need to do… Even if the base character has a single power that costs 112 points… (which puts his total at a more palatable 180 PP or so if you don’t count the drones) In fact, I believe that I’d actually have drones actually be a separate character (or characters) altogether and not have him pay PP for them - much like Beck was really just the face of Mysterio and all the others were equally invested in their project as opposed to being his minions...
:arrow: The Holographic and Hallucinogenic powers are lifted directly from Jab’s Mysterio (Beck).
:arrow: In keeping with some of the others in this series, some of the complications on this character are meant to give the hero (in this case once again the Scarab) a HP when invoked...

Background
The Sphinx took up residence in Freedom City just around the same time as the Scarab, having moved from Egypt under the auspices of being someone from the Scarab’s past. He claims to have been a friend and ally of Heru-Ra and wants to rekindle that friendship… The truth may be that simple, but with the appearance of a number of heroes and villains of Egyptian descent in recent months, it is unlikely to be quite so cut and dry…

The Sphinx first appeared in the Sahara desert, rescuing relief workers from a group of would-be terrorists His later exploits earned him the name of the Sphinx when he defeated a massive sand creature that emerged from a sandstorm at the Sphinx itself… With other, less dramatic appearances he eventually moved to America in an effort to “reconnect” with his “ancient ally” Heru-Ra.

The Sphinx (Illusion Drones)
PL10/ 150 PP

Abilities
Strength -4,
Agility 6,
Dexterity 5,
Fighting 0,
Awareness 0

Powers
Construct: (10 points)
Toughness Offset: Protection 5
Fortitude Immunity: Immunity 30,
Absent Stamina: Enhanced Stamina -5,
Absent Intellect: Enhanced Intellect -5,
Absent Presence: Enhanced Presence -5,
Small Size: Shrinking 4 [Permanent],
Support Weight: Power-Lifting 6

Drone Abilities: (34 points)
Stealth Mode: Concealment 10,
Drone Flight: Flight 4,
Drone Shell: Protection 5,
Radio Hearing: Senses 1
Illusion Powers: (51 points)
Holographics: Illusion 10 [(Visual & Hearing); Burst Area 2 (60 ft)]
Alt: Hallucinogenics: Affliction 9 [(Fort; Dazed/Compelled/Incapacitated) ; Progressive, Cumulative, Ranged, Cloud Area]

Advantages
Defensive Roll 4,
Evasion 2, Teamwork,
Favored Environment [Illusory Terrain],
Hide in Plain Sight,
Interpose

Skills
Athletics (+-4),
Deception (+-5),
Insight (+0),
Perception 4 (+4),
Stealth: Note: Perm Shrinking mod included. 8 (+18)

Offense
Initiative +6

Defense
Dodge 11,
Parry 10
Toughness 9 (Def Roll 4),

Power Points
Abilities 22 + Powers 95 + Advantages 10 + Skills 12 + Defenses 11 = Total 150

Complications
N/A

Design Notes
:arrow: RAW, PL 10/150... I removed all skills and traits that a Construct does not have.
:arrow: These are the Drones that generate illusions... visually identical to the weaponize version, these drones generate massive illusory images that work in tandem with each other...

The Sphinx (Weapon Drones)
PL10/ 150 PP

Abilities
Strength -4,
Agility 6,
Dexterity 5,
Fighting 0,
Awareness 0,

Powers
Construct: (38 points)
Toughness Offset: Protection 5
Fortitude Immunity: Immunity 30,
Absent Stamina: Enhanced Stamina -5,
Absent Intellect: Enhanced Intellect -5,
Absent Presence: Enhanced Presence -5,
Small Size: Shrinking 4 [Permanent],
Support Weight: Power-Lifting 6
Drone Abilities: (10 points)
Stealth Mode: Concealment 10, Drone Flight: Flight 6, Drone Shell: Protection 5, Radio Hearing: Senses 1
Weapon Systems: (38 points)
Magnetic Fields: Move Object 10 [Ranged, Dynamic]
Dyn: Tractor Beams: Move Object 12 [Precise, Subtle, Dynamic]
Dyn: Primary Weapon Systems: Damage 10 [Ranged; Variable Descriptor 2 (Any Energy), Dynamic]
Dyn: Secondary Weapon Systems: Damage 10 [Ranged; Variable Descriptor 2 (Any Physical), Dynamic]
Dyn: Hallucinogenics: Affliction 10 [(Fort; Dazed/Compelled/Incapacitated) ; Cumulative, Ranged, ]

Advantages
Defensive Roll 4,
Evasion 2,
Teamwork,
Favored Environment [Illusory Terrain],
Hide in Plain Sight,
Interpose,
Ranged Attack 5

Skills
Deception (+-5),
Insight (+0),
Perception 4 (+4),
Stealth: Note: Perm Shrinking mod included. 8 (+18)

Offense
Initiative +6
Weapons Array +10, Damage 10

Defense
Dodge 11,
Parry 10
Toughness 9 (Def Roll 4),

Power Points
Abilities 22 + Powers 86 + Advantages 15 + Skills 12 + Defenses 11 = Total 146

Design Notes
:arrow: Mostly as per Illusion Drones
:arrow: More combat oriented, these drones inflict damage and move objects in the environment to simulate the effects and abilities that their illusion generating brethren create
Last edited by Bladewind on Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

And that concludes my run on FrischDVH's Egyptian themed Spiderman and Spiderman Villains... It's a shame, he never got around to designing his version of the Rhino... he had been trying to do a Hippo-based version, but didn't like the results... perhaps something like this might have worked...

But... I've added enough to Freedom City for now. ;)