Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Batgirl! Broo! Armor! Beak! Elixir!)

Post by Jabroniville »

But... but... only Imperial Stormtroopers are so precise!

Also, those teddy bears are horrifying. They can throw rocks as big as they are. The Empire probably didn't do much intel and figured there'd be little resistance when they put their Force Field Generator thingie down on the planet (man, Star Wars sure does love its Video Game-esque "go to this thing and pull the lever" quests, doesn't it? Hell, I'd say video games actually copied THAT from STAR WARS) and no teddy bears freaked out.

And yeah, I'll probably stat up Rogue One EVENTUALLY, maybe after re-posting the Star Wars stuff. I don't like statting up stuff from recent movies because spoilers and all. For the most part, I'd say they go from high-end to low-end "Human Scoundrel"-type builds- Pilot Dude is low-end, Spy Dude is more sneaky than elite, and Alan Tudykbot, Donnie Yen and Gatling Gun Guy are all elite offensive beings- around the level of an unarmed Chewbacca. That said... and this is the part where it's difficult to do builds without spoilers- a lot of them ain't shit defensively. Certainly few of them have "Evasion".

Much as Stormtroopers get crapped on for sucking at aiming, we actually saw them cut down Human Mooks pretty well. I don't think any Stormtrooper is over PL 4, anyway- the Death Commandos are maybe PL 5.

None of them would stand a chance against Darth Vader, of course.
Jabroniville

Wind Dancer

Post by Jabroniville »

WIND DANCER (Sofia Mantega)
Created By:
Nunzio DeFilippis, Christina Weir & Keron Grant
First Appearance: New Mutants #1 (July 2003)
Group Affiliations: X-Students, New Mutants, The New Warriors
Role: The Steadfast One, Team Mom
PL 9 (111)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 3 (+6)
Deception 2 (+4)
Expertise (Art) 2 (+4)
Expertise (History) 2 (+4)
Expertise (Pop Culture) 2 (+4)
Insight 3 (+5)
Intimidation 1 (+3)
Perception 2 (+4)
Persuasion 3 (+5)
Ranged Combat (Wind) 2 (+8)
Stealth 2 (+5)

Advantages:
Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll, Equipment (X-Student Uniform- Communications, Protection +1), Evasion, Improved Disarm, Ranged Attack 4, Startle

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Wind Control"
"Carry the Words" Senses 1 (Extended Hearing) (Extras: Affects Others) [2]
"Wind Rider" Flight 5 (60 mph) [10]

"Tornado #1" Blast 9 (Extras: 30ft. Burst) (18) -- [25]
  • AE: "Tornado #2" Blast 9 (Extras: 30ft. Cylinder) (18)
  • AE: Air Blast 8 (16)
  • AE: "Weather Effects" Environment 6 (Impede Movement 2) (12)
  • AE: "Wind Storm" Affliction 9 (Strength or Athletics; Hindered/Prone) (Extras: Area- 120ft. Cone +2) (Flaws: Limited Degree, Instant Recovery) (9)
  • AE: "Wind Burst" Affliction 9 (Strength or Athletics; Hindered/Prone) (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst +2) (Flaws: Limited Degree, Instant Recovery) (9)
  • AE: "Wind" Features 2 (-2 Thrown Weapons, snuffing flames, etc.) (3)
  • AE: "Inner-Ear Vibrations" Affliction 8 (Fort; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) (Extras: Ranged) (16)
Offense:
Unarmed +5 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Air Blast +8 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Tornados +9 Area (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Wind Area Effects +9 (+9 Affliction, DC 19)
Inner-Ear Vibrations +8 (+8 Ranged Affliction, DC 18)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +2 (+3 D.Roll, +4 Costume), Fortitude +4, Will +5

Complications:
Relationship (Father)- Sofia's father is a wealthy but distant man, who had no time for a daughter (her mother, now deceased, was her caretaker). As such, Sofia frequently goes against his authority and tries to publically embarass him.
Relationship (Derek)- Derek worked for Sofia's father, and was put in charge of her care- she finds him a much better father-figure than her real dad.
Responsibility (Not a Good Leader for the Team)- Sofia feels inadequate compared to how good Prodigy is at planning during fights- she is a more emotional leader than a logical one.
Relationship (Julian "Hellion" Keller)- Despite their rivalry, Sofia has a bit of a crush on Julian.

Total: Abilities: 36 / Skills: 26--13 / Advantages: 10 / Powers: 37 / Defenses: 15 (111)

-I liked Wind Dancer. She had a great personality (upbeat and caring), a nice backstory (her mother died, and her father- a rich ass-biscuit who didn't want any kids- didn't care about her, so she rebelled against him and latched onto his nicer, older assistant, Derek), and a cool power-set that you don't often see in the major leagues of heroes (Air Controllers are relatively common- Red Tornado, My Beloved Cyclone, etc., but very rarely are they big-time heroes). But she codifies one of the problems I brought up earlier- she's WAY too powerful for a rookie superhero. She's skilled, smart, and so good with her powers she has unique little side-tricks (carrying words on the wind, and disrupting people's balance) by DAY ONE. Compare to Sam Guthrie, who had ears as wide as his head, and couldn't turn corners until the 25th issue of the original New Mutants team.

-Of course, she's one of the major New Mutant/X-Men kids to get de-powered after M-Day, getting rid of the cool subplot of her not being worthy of leading the team (Prodigy was, but didn't want the job), and her thing with Hellion, who kept hitting on her despite her being annoyed by him (but there WAS an attraction deep-down). The inter-personal things like that are often much more interesting on teen teams than all the fighting, so it sucked that all those plots were dropped. She was in that new New Warriors squad of ex-mutants that use technological means to be superheroes again, but every time I look at that concept, it gets more and more sucky, and reminds me of the "Dork Age" of comics, with EXTREEEEEME heroes, terrible code-names and powers, and bad, gloomy art. Her Doctor Octopus get-up and short-hair make it look even worse. The character, once so promising, hasn't appeared in almost ten years.

-Sofia here's a PL 9 with some PL 8 tricks. She's talented, but a little untrained, and has a few Alt-Effects to her Wind Powers like most windy people get (the Nauseate one is new, though). She can hear things from afar with the "winds" carrying words (not sure if that makes any sense at all- Earth Sciences was a pain in the ass for me to get through in College/University), and allow others to do the same, which is a unique little trick (curiously, the same writer pairing once wrote a JSA short-story where My Beloved Cyclone gained the EXACT SAME POWER- clearly this was in their heads for a while). Otherwise, she's a standard Flier/Elementalist who's a bit short on points. And yeah, it seems odd to have a teenage hero with very little experience as a PL 9 when even some AVENGERS and X-MEN are at that level, but that's how capable she was portrayed- she's not flawless, though, being a bit inaccurate and being an easy Glass Cannon to K.O.

-As Renascence of the New Warriors, she lost her powers, but gained a Cybernetic Harness (Extra Limbs 6, Electrical Damage 6- Reach 2 and a Force Field 6), which costs 16 points (so she's 21 points cheaper overall).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Not to derail things too much since I'm just briefly poking my head in, but Star Wars was mentioned.

Regarding the Rogue One cast versus the classic Star Wars cast, it's hard to really talk about Power Levels since most of them are just normal people with skills and gear. Luke and Obi-Wan are basically leagues above everyone else, but apart from them Chewie, K2, Baze and Donnie are obviously the most combat capable of the cast, but I'm not sure they're really a higher PL than Han or Leia, who have a ton of skills in addition to being crack shots and ace pilots, not to mention Han owning the coolest ship in the galaxy. Jyn and Cassian are sort of like minin-Hans and Leias, lesser combat/skill monkeys but still nothing to sneeze at.

And Donnie Yen is just that damn awesome.

As for Storm Troopers, I've sadly got to come to their defense because honestly, they're not as bad as everyone says. Most of the time people point to either their inability to capture the main cast in A New Hope or them being assaulted by the Ewoks in Return of the Jedi as proof as they suck, but neither's really the case. In A New Hope, the Storm Troopers were ORDERED to put up a convincing show and let the heroes escape. Leia even flat out says that they "let them go" so that the Empire could track the rebels to their base. The Storm Troopers were letting the heroes escape and missing them on purpose.

Meanwhile on Endor, like others have mentioned, the Ewoks are not some cuddley little teddy bears. They knew the terrain, were freakishly strong, could hide due to their size, had a weird mishmash of technology, and if you accept extended material, spent their time fighting giant monsters that made Ranchors look puny. Losing to the Ewoks was no bad thing, especially when it was only due to a combo of the Rebels and the Ewoks working together that won the day.

Outside of those two instances, the Storm Troopers successfully captured Leia's ship, kicked the Rebels off of Hoth, and were whipping the Rebels on Endor until the Ewoks showed up. Storm Troopers aren't Halo Spartans, but they don't suck terribly either.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

There's also the fact that Obi-Wan and others keep treating the Stromtroopers as serious threats... Remember, none of the characters know they have "plot armor." Well, Donnie Yen does. :lol:

What frustrates me is that Star Wars fanboys constantly denigrate Stormtroopers, but will argue with me for days on end about how awesome Boba Fett is. Um... Whut? Go rewatch his one and only fight in RotJ: The dude doesn't land a single shot despite point-blank range, gets knocked overboard in a slapstick gag by a blind man, and gets eaten by an giant, immobile vagina dentata. That's it. The only other scenes he is in involved him nodding, loading cargo onto his ship, or just standing still.

Sorry fanboys, any random Stormtrooper is a more legit threat than Fett.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Batgirl III wrote:There's also the fact that Obi-Wan and others keep treating the Stromtroopers as serious threats... Remember, none of the characters know they have "plot armor." Well, Donnie Yen does. :lol:

What frustrates me is that Star Wars fanboys constantly denigrate Stormtroopers, but will argue with me for days on end about how awesome Boba Fett is. Um... Whut? Go rewatch his one and only fight in RotJ: The dude doesn't land a single shot despite point-blank range, gets knocked overboard in a slapstick gag by a blind man, and gets eaten by an giant, immobile vagina dentata. That's it. The only other scenes he is in involved him nodding, loading cargo onto his ship, or just standing still.

I know in any Star Wars game I run with Storm Troopers my players rapidly learned a painful lesson., When the boys in White armor showed up in any level of serious force it was time to get the heck off the planet.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

huh- funny. The recent Dick Tracy strips are now a crossover with The Spirit: http://www.gocomics.com/dicktracy/2016/12/28
Jabroniville

Surge

Post by Jabroniville »

Probably one of the favorite pieces I've art I've ever used for a picture, really.

SURGE (Noriko Ashida)
Created By:
Nunzio DeFilippis, Christina Weir & Keron Grant
First Appearance: New Mutants #8 (Jan. 2004)
Group Affiliations: X-Students, New Mutants, Young X-Men
Role: Angry Girl, Thrill-Seeker, Speedster
PL 8 (133)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 12 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+7)
Deception 5 (+5)
Escape Artist 2 (+4)
Expertise (Pop Culture) 5 (+5)
Insight 4 (+4)
Intimidation 2 (+2)
Perception 4 (+4)
Ranged Combat (Electricity) 2 (+8)
Technology 2 (+2)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Equipment (X-Student Uniform- Communications, Protection +1), Improved Disarm, Move-By Action, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4, Set-Up, Teamwork

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Super-Speed & Electrical Discharge"
Speed 8 (500 mph) (Flaws: Uncontrolled) [4]
Quickness 4 (Flaws: Uncontrolled) [2]

"Speed Feats"
"Smash Everyone In Range" Strength-Damage +4 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Shapeable 5) (9) -- [10]
  • AE: "Rapid Attack" Strength-Damage +3 (Extras: Multiattack 4) (7)
Enhanced Advantages 5: Accurate Attack, Improved Initiative 3, Uncanny Dodge [5]

Electrical Blast 8 (Extras: Multiattack) (Flaws: Uncontrolled) (16) -- [19]
  • AE: Damage 8 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Uncontrolled) (8)
  • AE: Electrical Aura 4 (Flaws: Uncontrolled) (12)
  • AE: Nullify Electronics 8 (Extras: Simultaneous) (Flaws: Uncontrolled) (8)
"Gauntlets" (Flaws: Removable) [12]
Removes Uncontrolled On:
Speed (4)
Quickness (2)
Electrical Control (8)
All Electrical Control Alt-Effect Feats (1)
-- (15 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Rapid Attack +12 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Area Attack +5 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Electrical Aura +12 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Electrical Blast +8 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +16

Defenses:
Dodge +13 (DC 23), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +2 (+3 Costume), Fortitude +4, Will +4

Complications:
Involuntary Transformation (Hyperactive)- Noriko babbles incoherently & loses accuracy when using Extra Effort.
Addiction (Pills)- To regulate her super-powers, Noriko required pills to slow herself down, and stole from others to supply this habit.

Total: Abilities: 44 / Skills: 30--15 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 49 / Defenses: 14 (133)

-Noriko kinda came across weird when she debuted. The early New Mutants-redo kids were simple personalities that played well off of each other (Wind Dancer was nice and strong-willed, Prodigy was smart but stiff, Elixir was a jerk with a heart of gold, Wither was a sad kid, Wallflower was... a wallflower). And then all of a sudden the book is re-christened New X-Men and we get this anime-looking electrical punk-rock chick with blue hair flying in and doing all sorts of crazy things. Noriko was a runaway Japanese kid with a drug problem (the pills helped her regulate her out-of-control powers), and the X-kids grabbed her, gave her power-controlling gauntlets, and the team had their sixth member.

-Noriko, being the most visually appealing & interesting character in the group, ended up getting a pretty decent push (and was central on a LOT of covers), but is still mainly a forgotten character (she's much less famous & well-liked than Santo, Hellion, Mercury or Wither- notice how the HELLION kids actually became more popular than the original New Mutants, by the way? That's an interesting point about this series), mainly because she's kinda boring aside from the whole "I don't want to be LEADER!" bit she did- her relationships have less angst (her hook-up with Prodigy is rather boring), her family backstory is mainly glossed over (her father "doesn't believe in Mutants" = "Gay Analogy"), and she's kind of unpleasant but not in an intense way (like when she bitched out Dust for shaming all women with her niqab-garb). Pretty much as soon as the book featuring her got cancelled, she fell off the face of the Earth, and has only appeared in a few background shots, despite being a professionally-trained super-hero. She actually ends up a nothing character, despite that potential in her early push (which even her creators didn't force that hard).

-Surge has some funky powers (Not many people mix Super-Speed AND Electricity), with some Gauntlets designed to remove the Uncontrolled Flaws on her powers- otherwise, she'll go out of control, absorbing electricity around her and blasting everyone with it. Even with the Flaws & Device, she's an overcost PL 8, which is a good fit for this team- they're good fighters, but lack the power & experience of the elder X-Men, or even PL 9 (135) heroes.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Batgirl III

Re: Jab's Builds! (Batgirl! Armor! Beak! Elixir! Wind Dancer! Surge!)

Post by Batgirl III »

I think the biggest problem the new New Mutants faced was sheer glut. They didn't just introduce five new main characters and a rival team. They introduced like 500 new teen mutant characters within a few months of each other... That's just too much to ask of the audience.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Batgirl III wrote:There's also the fact that Obi-Wan and others keep treating the Stromtroopers as serious threats... Remember, none of the characters know they have "plot armor." Well, Donnie Yen does. :lol:

*Batgirl III recieves Standing Ovation from the Cast of GREED-E* :)

as you can see,me&mine agree with you whole-heartedly on this one(as,suprisingly,NO ONE in GREED-E likes Boba Fett,who should be on The Poster Recruitment Sign's for my group... :? ),as the Trooper's were ordered by Vader in New Hope to "Take the Ambassador&Crew Alive" and NEVER had that order changed...
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Batgirl III wrote:I think the biggest problem the new New Mutants faced was sheer glut. They didn't just introduce five new main characters and a rival team. They introduced like 500 new teen mutant characters within a few months of each other... That's just too much to ask of the audience.
you gotta realize that,at that present Timeframe,The X-Books were 3-4 months away from Cancellation,so they were Trying to Save The Sinking Ship with a Lot of Ducktape(thank you Mythbusters for proving this Analogy!:D).They were Basically throwing a lot of Characters out there Hoping some of them would stick...
Spam

Post by Spam »

You have to be a special kind on incompetent to die by falling into a hole while wearing a jet pack.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

Spam wrote:

You have to be a special kind on incompetent to die by falling into a hole while wearing a jet pack.
Well, his Jetpack got damaged, so...Also, not related to Star Wars, but related to the topic of odd crossovers...there's a Justice League/Power Rangers crossover. As cool as that is..How would that even work?
BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

KorokoMystia wrote:Well, his Jetpack got damaged, so...
His jetpack got damaged when he got Stooged. That moment was, in my opinion, the worst element of Return of the Jedi, to the point where I consider everyone involved - INCLUDING THE FANS - to have dropped the ball. They're in the middle of an epic, triumphant battle scene showing off how awesome the heroes are to kick off the final film. This enigmatic enemy that has nothing but reputation - but WHAT a reputation he's built up in the fandom - shows up to add a touch of menace... and immediately gets punked by a blind guy, on accident, in a mildly comical way. It wastes the villain's potential, breaks the tone of the scene, and generally makes any serious analysts wonder what Lucas was thinking.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

Yeah, it's really stupid. What's even more annoying is that it seems they've never learnt from their mistake. ALL the characters that are built up to be badasses end up with less-than-impressive showings in the actual movie. Boba, Jango, maybe not so much Maul, but he still got killed by a Padawan, a certain someone in Force Awakens, ect.

Also, going off-topic for a bit, here's a image that shows that Ma-Ti of the Planeteers could have been awesome..if they'd let him in the show. ALso apparently in the comic he could use his ring to make people fall asleep.
danelsan

Post by danelsan »

That is one hell of a beefy rabbit.

(yeah, yeah, *insert Monty Python jokes here*)