Jab’s Builds! (Sword of Sodan! Nightmare Creatures/Circus! Lawnmower Man!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Genesis (Evan)

Post by Jabroniville »

GENESIS II (Evan Sabahnur, aka Kid Apocalypse)
Created By:
Rick Remender & Esad Ribic
First Appearance: Uncanny X-Force #7 (June 2011)
Group Affiliations: X-Students
Role: Potentially-Evil Kid
PL 8 (123)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA 6 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Expertise (Science) 4 (+6)
Expertise (Farming) 2 (+4)
Perception 2 (+2)
Technology 4 (+6)

Advantages:
Equipment (X-Student Uniform- Communications), Fast Grab, Ranged Attack 6

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Vast Shapeshifting Power (Augmented by Celestial Technology)"
Protection 1 (Extras: Impervious 7) [8]
Immunity 11 (Aging, Life Support) [11]
Regeneration 5 (Feats: Regrowth) [6]
"Mind Shield" Immunity 20 (Mental Effects) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [10]

"Dematerialization Beam" Blast 8 (Feats: Split) [17]
Shapeshift 4 [32]

(Common Powers: "Long Hammer Fists" Strength-Damage +2- Reach 6; "Armour" Protection +2; "Stretching" Elongation 2; "Boot Jets" Flight 5)

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Long Hammer Fists +7 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Dematerialization Beams +8 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +6 (+8 Armour), Fortitude +7, Will +4

Complications:
Responsibility (The Child of Apocalypse)- Genesis' very appearance sets off others around him, as he's the clone of one of the X-Men's most powerful foes.

Total: Abilities: 48 / Skills: 12--6 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 84 / Defenses: 11 (157)

-Genesis is the clone of Apocalypse, created by the anti-hero Fantomex in order to show that the right upbringing can turn En Sabah Nur into a hero. Raised by a VR program that gave him Superman's Kansas upbringing, and he's since been taught by Deadpool, who was growing attached to the lad until creative teams switched. Deadpool is an ideal character for stuff like that, because his inherent silliness means that it MEANS MORE when he makes a close connection. During the AXIS event, Evan was "converted" to evil, and immediately became an adult-sized Apocalypse, and was the "Big Bad" of the Event, only failing to kill all humanity thanks to the heroic sacrifice of CARNAGE (God that was a weird, if oddly fun in some parts, storyline). He turns good in the end, convinced by Deadpool that "nobody liked Apocalypse", while Evan could be a force for good in the world.

-Evan has gone on to become a member of the New X-Men team, joining Idie alongside the "Original X-Men" team that was STILL stuck in the future from their original place in the timeline. There, he's actually gotten a few issues of focus, such as going back in time and meeting his original self, the teen En Sabah Nur, back when he was merely the wimpy son of an evil Egyptian warlord. There's also little bits where he brings up that his "Sunny Side Up", happy personality is a deliberate image thing on his part- because he knows that everyone, even his friends, are waiting for the monster to return.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Wallflower

Post by Jabroniville »

WALLFLOWER (Laurie Collins)
Created By:
Nunzio DeFilippis, Christina Weir & Keron Grant
First Appearance: New Mutants #2 (Aug. 2003)
Group Affiliations: X-Students, The New Mutants
Role: Shrinking Violet
PL 8 (104)
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA 1 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE -1

Skills:
Acrobatics 3 (+5)
Deception 3 (+2)
Persuasion 2 (+1)
Expertise (Pop Culture) 3 (+4)
Perception 4 (+5)
Ranged Combat (Pheromones) 3 (+6)
Stealth 2 (+4)

Advantages:
Equipment (X-Student Uniform- Communications, Protection +1), Improved Defense, Ranged Attack

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Pheromones"
Affliction 8 (Fort; Entranced/Compelled/Controlled Emotions) (Feats: Subtle) (Extras: Reaction +3, Area- Scent Perception, Cumulative, Selective) (57) -- [59]
  • AE: "Focused Pheromones" Affliction 10 (Fort; Entranced/Compelled/Controlled Emotions) (Feats: Subtle) (Extras: Cumulative, Ranged) (Flaws: Scent-Dependent) (21)
  • AE: "Sleepy Time" Affliction 10 (Fort; Fatigued/Exhausted/Asleep) (Feats: Subtle) (Extras: Ranged, Cumulative) (Flaws: Scent-Dependent) (21)
Offense:
Unarmed +5 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Pheromone Area +8 (+8 Affliction, DC 18)
Focused Pheromones/Sleepy Time +6 (+10 Ranged Affliction, DC 20)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +1 (+2 Uniform), Fortitude +3, Will +4

Complications:
Responsibility (Wallflower)- Laurie's codename reflects her personality- she does not emote much, and likes to hide away from others. She does not make friends quickly.
Relationship (Feelings for Various X-Kids)- Both Wither & Elixir seemed interested in her, thanks to her unknowable, but sweet, nature.
Weakness (Uncontrolled Powers)- When Laurie started out, her powers all had the Uncontrolled Flaw. Even now with greater control, she has difficulty entirely controlling things- sometimes her powers just go off- especially if she is feeling emotional.

Total: Abilities: 20 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 59 / Defenses: 12 (104)

-Laurie is that ever-present kind of character in teen fiction- the blazing hot blonde girl who is nonetheless low in confidence and withdrawn :). Good ol' comics, TV, and Movies- they'll NEVER let us look at ugly girls with problems! Of course, every time comics creates an authentically ugly girl character, they end up being "The Scrappy Doo" of their respective teams, doomed to being hated the world-over by men & women alike, because nobody likes an ugly girl. EVER. Wallflower was an emotion controller like Dani was in the original New Mutants, and actually used one of my favourite concepts- the mutant who had trouble with uncontrollable powers.

-See, one of my MAIN beefs with the New Mutants revamp in the early '00s (and the New/Young X-Men in general) was that the heroes got their powers, went to school, and were an ass-kicking squadron of teens within a few months. They had costumes, rippling muscles, big boobs, battle plans, and could work over reasonably-powerful villains very quickly. Do yourselves a favour and read whatever '80s New Mutants comics you can get (they're really good)- the teens there are gawky, awkward, insecure, and almost all of their powers are complete weaksauce. Their flying guy couldn't turn corners, their strong guy got de-powered after five minutes, their Fear Caster couldn't control herself, their Possessor could take out one bad guy at a time, their Werewolf was barely stronger than a normal person, and nearly everyone worked for about FIFTY ISSUES before they were worth a damn in a fight. Nowadays, everyone's a bad-ass in Day One. So it was nice to see someone like Laurie, who had to work at NOT scaring everyone in sight with her powers.

-But... poor Laurie. Since most of the X-Kids murdered by The Purifiers after M-Day were generic background nobodies with a power & a code-name, the writers clearly felt that SOMEBODY important had to die. And Laurie was the most expendable of the main cast, I guess, and so she got SHOT IN THE HEAD!! Some fans were saddened, a few I'm sure were upset, but unfortunately she was pretty much one of DOZENS of characters slain, and there were still dozens of mutant kids kicking around, and so she went pretty well ignored in X-history. The only character arc she really got was a brief relationship with Wither, which was only done in order to make Wolfsbane jealous.

-Thank God for Affliction, I gotta say. Not only is it insanely versatile, but you can avoid the annoyance of 2e's set-up for "Pheromones" (which I am 90% certain was out of cost for what it actually did, if you added up all the bits of the power- the Rules Forum had a HUGE group of guys trying to figure out just HOW they got to the total they did) and just create a power out of the bits & pieces. It seems to just be a case of a really clumsy power description that someone just kinda threw out there, rather than really quantifying it all up.

-Laurie's power is to affect he emotional state of those around her in a wide area (anyone who can smell her, which can be quite a distance when you think about it), Selectively ignoring her teammates (she got good enough at this later on to count this), but bad guys need to have the ability to smell (this is why people like Mercury are unaffected- she doesn't need to breathe) in a Reaction (she doesn't have to consciously do it) that is Cumulative (each sniff could control you even more). Alternatively, she can send out "focused" bursts of it like a Ranged Attack. Wallflower has a very powerful ability, but not alot of defensive power- she's definitely a classic Mental Power type, faltering with the slightest amount of damage.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Batgirl! Armor! Beak! Elixir! Wind Dancer! Surge!)

Post by Jabroniville »

shadowking42 wrote:Catcthing up, just on page 52 now. Whew!!! :D :D :D So I'll pack a few thoughts into one post!

But I did want to add that I'm around the same age as Jab, and I definitely had the same crush on Kitty Pryde that a lot of us boys from back then did. She was normal, relatable, dorky, kinda crazy and weird, super-nice. The type of "mutie" you could take home to Ma!

Then I got older and had a pseudo-crush on Psylocke. I actually liked her before the whole Mojo/Spiral body switcheroo thing with Kwannon. But, of course, as a guy hitting his teen years at the time of Psylocke's provocative "ninja" wear....I wasn't complaining. LOL
Cool, thanks!

Yeah, our age group really had the double-whammy of "Approachably Normal Kitty" and then "WHAM! NINJA-THONG PSYLOCKE!"- Betsy was one of the biggest names of the X-Men to my generation of horny 13-year old boys. I still remember how pissed I was that she wasn't in the cartoon's regular cast, and we were stuck with "Ponytailed-Jim Lee Costume" Jean Grey.
It's really funny though Jab, you may be Canadian doppelganger. I read Marvel around the same time as you in the 80's and 90's before getting turned off by Rob Liefeld and the EXXXTREEEEEME era. Been a pro wrestling fan for years. Love many of the same cartoons, Disney included. Really only thing I never got much into was anime, which is weird since I love Japan and everything about it's culture. In fact, I majored in Asian history in college.
Weird- we must be clones! Though I guess being nerds around the same time makes a lot of things possible- hitting my teenage years right around the WWF's Attitude Era was pretty awe-inspiring.

The anime thing is odd, because anime's what got me into Japanese culture in the first place. I was smitten when the entire country, and got on a Student Exchange... all because of my love for Sailor Mars :).
I also agree about holding off on any DC Builds. I picked up the official supplements for those myself, so anyone interested in them should do the same. :) But I'm so lost with so many of their characters. I never knew there were 10 million Green Lanterns and every other color Lanterns. I'm exhausted just thinking about them.
Yeah, for a couple of years there I didn't want to post ANY DC stuff. It wasn't until much later that I tackled my beloved Teen Titans, then the Legion of Super-Heroes (both of those are on the "sooner rather than later" re-post list, by the way- they're from right before the ATT became Ronin Army, so they're at least three years old... the only issue of course is that those characters haven't evolved past that point). Though I happily statted the characters from Justice League Unlimited before that, since that's a different ball of wax, and wasn't stepping on the toes of official Green Ronin products.

Thanks for reading! Hopefully you'll catch up soon :).
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Elixir! Wind Dancer! Surge! Dust! Hellion!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Holy sweet God...

http://www.deviantart.com/art/Overwatch-Gowns-654065574

MEI! THAT DRESS! THOSE CURVES!!!! *dies of nosebleed*

Never mind my Russian She-Bear Waifu, Zarya, looking OH MY GOD.

Symmetra is also awesome.

I'll never play Overwatch, but my goodness has it been a boon to the world of art.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

More Boba Fett mocking:
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

Kid Apocalypse is an actual character ?!?
I thought Kid Amazo was overkill...

Why oh why can't some things just be left alone ?
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Bladewind's 3ed M&M Builds
The Merge Setting document
danelsan

Post by danelsan »

Heh. That overwatch piece caught my attention immediately too, as soon as I noticed it on Deviantart. Einlee is really good, but this is one of their best works. The one with the boys in formal clothing is very good too, but being a straight dude I like this one more ^_^

All the girls are looking great, but Pharah and Symmetra look the best for me. Which is kinda weird since I'm usually more attracted to white girls. We'll see what happens if they add a pale redhead to the roster XD
Jabroniville

Prodigy (David)

Post by Jabroniville »

PRODIGY II (David Alleyne)
Created By:
First Appearance: New Mutants #4 (Oct. 2003)
Role: Super-Skilled Guy
PL 9 (150)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 5 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Acrobatics 3 (+6)
Athletics 4 (+6)
Deception 3 (+4)
Expertise (Science) 4 (+9)
Expertise (Tactics) 2 (+7)
Perception 4 (+6)
Technology 4 (+9)
Treatment 4 (+6)

Advantages:
Beginner's Luck, Equipment (X-Student Uniform- Communications, Protection +1), Jack-of-All-Trades, Ranged Attack 5, Set-Up, Teamwork

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Mimicking Skills & Capabilities of All in Range"
Variable 6 (Abilities of Others) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst, Free Action +2) (Flaws: Limited to Skills & Advantages) [54]

"Detecting Attacks of Others"
Enhanced Skills 4: Insight 4 (+6) [2]

"Enhanced Fighting Ability"
Enhanced Fighting 8 (Flaws: Limited to Current Capability of One in Range) [8]
Enhanced Dodge 6 (Flaws: Limited to Current Capability of One in Range) [3]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Boosted Fighting +14 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (+12 Boosted, DC 15-22), Parry +8 (+14 Boosted, DC 14-24), Toughness +3 (+4 Uniform), Fortitude +5, Will +5

Complications:
None

Total: Abilities: 50 / Skills: 28--14 / Advantages: 10 / Powers: 67 / Defenses: 9 (150)

-Prodigy has one of the more unique and interesting mutant powers out there- though it's not exactly in the upper-tier. He can mimic and adopt the skills & abilities of others, to the point where he can master in a second what took someone years to perfect. Only when in range of them, though. He kind of wanted to be a normal kid, and was a little TOO boringly perfect (I've mentioned it before, but in comics- Marvel especially- and in most of the media, the visible minority are often the most flawless person around, particularly if they're black- as if they're trying to make up for something), but he made good with his team, and eventually had leadership thrust upon him when it became clear he was the best man for the job. He got de-powered in M-Day, but actually kept his powers somewhat, as a mental block to keep him from retaining all the skills he'd absorbed was removed (including the fighting skills of several elite fighters, such as Wolverine & Kitty Pryde), allowing him an INSANE amount of skill, leaving him an effective "Badass Normal" character.

-Little-used after his generation of X-Kids started being ignored, David has since been revealed to be bisexual (kissing and crushing on Hulkling in a Young Avengers arc). Not that this particularly helped his character show up more often- he's as much floundering in obscurity as the others are. But it's nice to know that bisexuals actually EXIST in comics- so many characters are just one or the other- ain't there a whole scale for that, and stuff?

-Prodigy is kind of a pain, as most Mimic-based characters are. It's a Free Action because he doesn't even have to TRY and do it- he understood French just by sitting next to Xi'an Coy Manh (Karma), without even knowing that was her skill- and it works in a Burst Range, meaning he can absorb stuff from at least a couple people in a room. He can also copy the fighting skills of those close to him (like Wolverine, around his debut- he embarassed Logan during his attempts to teach a self-defense class).

-Of course, all of this makes him VERY expensive for what is a weak PL 9 guy (PL 8 on offense- at best) who can only get that good if there's a great fighter NEXT to him. He can also KIND OF see attacks coming, which is part of the Defense Bonus, but also a bit of Insight thrown in.

PRODIGY II (David Alleyne)- De-Powered
Created By:
First Appearance: New Mutants #4 (Oct. 2003)
Role: Super-Skilled Guy
PL 9 (176)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 13 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 7 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 8 (+13)
Athletics 4 (+6)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+14)
Deception 11 (+13)
Expertise (Science) 11 (+18)
Expertise (Survival) 5 (+8)
Expertise (Tactics) 3 (+10)
Insight 8 (+11)
Intimidation 7 (+9)
Investigation 6 (+9)
Perception 4 (+9)
Persuasion 7 (+9)
Stealth 6 (+11)
Technology 11 (+18)
Treatment 10 (+17)
Vehicles 4 (+8)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Beginner's Luck, Chokehold, Equipment (X-Student Uniform- Communications, Protection +1), Evasion, Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Unarmed) 2, Improved Critical (Swords), Improved Disarm, Improved Trip, Inventor, Jack-of-All-Trades, Languages 3 (Pretty Much Any), Power Attack, Precise Attack (Close/Concealment), Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 7, Set-Up, Teamwork, Tracking, Uncanny Dodge

Offense:
Unarmed +14 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +13 (DC 23), Parry +14 (DC 24), Toughness +3 (+4 Uniform), Fortitude +5, Will +6

Complications:
None

Total: Abilities: 78 / Skills: 106--53 / Advantages: 31 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 14 (176)

-For David as his modern incarnation (with all the Skills & Advantages a permanent part of him), he's a bloody talented Skillmonkey- seriously, he's MORE EXPENSIVE than he would be if he had a power letting him copy everyone around him!
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Mercury

Post by Jabroniville »

This actually kinda does it for me. Is that weird?

MERCURY II (Cessily Kincaid)
Created By:
First Appearance: New Mutants #2 (Aug. 2003)
Group Affiliations: The Hellions, X-Students, The Young X-Men
Role: Shapeshifter
PL 8 (147)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA -- AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+7)
Deception 4 (+5)
Expertise (Pop Culture) 2 (+2)
Insight 3 (+4)
Intimidation 3 (+3)
Perception 4 (+5)
Persuasion 6 (+7)
Stealth 4 (+8)
Technology 2 (+2)

Advantages:
Chokehold, Close Attack, Daze (Persuasion), Equipment (X-Student Uniform- Communications), Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Blades), Improved Disarm, Improved Trip, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 2, Set-Up, Teamwork

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Permanent Mercury Form"
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
Immunity 15 (Magical Effects, Falling Damage) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [8]

Insubstantial 1 [5]
Protection 8 [8]
Regeneration 2 [2]
Elongation 3 [3]
Movement 2 (Slithering, Wall-Crawling) [4]
"Semi-Complex Lifting Apparatus" Power-Lifting 2 (1,600 lbs.) (Flaws: Distracting) [1]

"Suffocating Ensnarement" Affliction 8 (Strength & Fort; Hindered & Dazed/Immobile & Stunned/Incapacitated) (Extras: Extra Condition, Progressive +2) (Flaws: Distracting, Limited to 1-2 Targets At a Time) (Inaccurate -1) (15) -- [17]
  • AE: "Mercury Blades" Strike +4 (Feats: Extended Reach 3) (Extras: Penetrating 4) (11)
  • AE: "Multiple Blades" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Extended Reach 3) (Extras: Multiattack 5) (11)
Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Blades +9 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Suffocation +7 (+8 Affliction, DC 18)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +8, Fortitude --, Will +6

Complications:
Prejudice (Obvious Mutant)- Cessily is bright silver.
Vulnerable/Involuntary Transformation (Electrical Attacks)- Cessily loses control of her physical body if struck by electricity, and takes extra damage.
Relationship (Parents)- Cessily's parents hid her from the world upon her powers' manifestation.
Responsibility (Survivor)- Cessily takes the deaths of her friends and allies harder than all of her teammates.

Total: Abilities: 30 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 13 / Powers: 79 / Defenses: 9 (147)

-Cessily Kincaid is easily my favourite out of all the Hellions/New X-Men/Young X-Men/Whatever. She has a great look (not too many silver ladies in comics), fairly unique powers (despite being a straight T-1000 rip) that don't show up alot in comics, a sweet personality, and the great "I'm an outcast because I'm a monster" attitude that's always good for some angst. She even had some cute "Shipping" moments, getting a crush on Wither, as the only person he could touch without killing... but alas, he didn't feel the same way (Hellion had a nice moment where he sympathized with her, and pointed out that Wither was just kind of a dolt for not noticing). There's a neat bit in World War Hulk where SHE is the X-Man to finally stop the Hulk's rampage against the X-Mansion (punishing Xavier for his link to the Illuminati who'd sent him to Sakaar)- revealing all of the graves of the friends they'd lost to the Purifiers and others and convincing Hulk that his rampage was self-righteous and misdirected.

-The funny thing is, there's ALREADY been a "Mercury" in the X-canon, and it's someone with the exact same powers! One of the one-shot-only "Cerebro X-Men" (I'll get to them again, don't worry) was a Jordanian assassin created by a crazed Cerebro with the same liquid-metal powers, flowing body and body-weapons. Very weird coincidence, since the guy is mostly-forgotten by now.

-Sadly, the character has COMPLETELY fallen into disuse. Around the time when Young X-Men got cancelled and the X-Men moved to San Francisco, Mercury has joined the ranks of "those guys in the background", never getting up to anything, despite being a fairly well-trained superhero by this point. Given that Wolverine and the X-Men revolved around newbies like Broo as major characters, it's a bit "odd" that a more "elite" fighter was completely kept out of things, but that'll happen when you have 10,000 characters available and one doesn't strike the writer's fancy.

-Cessily is a fun little build, as most Alternate Form characters are. She has a batch of powers assigned around her Mercury Form, giving her Fortitude Immunity, a high level of durability, minor Super-Strength (it's been shown so sparingly that I used Distracting to Limit it), Elongation, Movement (she can stick to stuff, and can be impossible to trip), in addition to her attacks. As an attack, she can slash with long bodily-created weapons, lash out with a dozen of them at once, or Suffocate people (a sort-of close-range Snare that is defended by Strength on the Snare and Fortitude on the Suffocation, but doesn't effect Defenses since you can't really HIT people inside of her since she's basically covering them entirely). She has a BIG weakness to make up for her versatility- she's blasted with Electricity A LOT. Otherwise, she's a sweet, good-hearted character with an assortment of Advantages & Skills to back her up, and one of the better all-around characters of the Young X-Men group.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Rockslide

Post by Jabroniville »

ROCKSLIDE (Santo Vaccarro)
Created By:
First Appearance: New Mutants #3 (Sept. 2003)
Group Affiliations: The Hellions, X-Students, The Young X-Men
Role: Powerhouse, Boisterous Bruiser
PL 8 (126)
STRENGTH
10 STAMINA -- AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Deception 2 (+2)
Expertise (Pop Culture) 4 (+4)
Intimidation 6 (+6)

Advantages:
Close Attack, Equipment (X-Student Uniform- Communications), Fast Grab, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Interpose, Ranged Attack 4, Startle, Taunt, Teamwork, Withstand Damage

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Rock Body"
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
Protection 11 (Extras: Impervious 5) [16]
Power-Lifting 1 (50 tons) [1]
Features 3: Increased Mass 3 [3]
Features 2: Can Remove Hands & Other Body Parts at Will [2]

"Rocksorption" Variable (Physical Powers) 4 (Flaws: Limited to Rock-Based Powers, Medium- Requires Rocks With Unique Properties -2) [12]

"Rocksplosion"
Blast 8 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Requires 2-5 Rounds of Recovery to Reassemble) [8]
Regeneration 6 (Feats: Regrow Limbs, Persistent) (Flaws: Source- Rocklike Materials) [5]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Rocksplosion +8 Area (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +11 (+3 Impervious), Fortitude --, Will +4

Complications:
Prejudice (Obvious Mutant)- Santo is a gigantic rock-man.
Responsibility (Protector of the Remaining Students)- Santo feels guilt over the fact that dozens of students have been killed- he fights to save the remaining kids.
Responsibility (Speaks Without Thinking)- Santo has a tendency to say whatever's on his brain at the moment- this leaves him inconsiderate, brash and oblivious to the thoughts of others. He typically means well, but can't help but annoy others.

Total: Abilities: 20 / Skills: 12--6 / Advantages: 14 / Powers: 77 / Defenses: 9 (126)

-Gotta love Santo. Despite being written as a stereotypical jerk bully at first (with the Hellions being the "jocks" of X-High), he quickly adopted the persona of the Boisterous Bruiser- the kinda dumb guy who always says poorly-thought-out things of questionable P.C. nature, but is ultimately extremely loyal to his friends. Taking the deaths of his teammates over the years very hard (at least SOMEONE is- poor Tag!), he's declared himself the unofficial protector of the remaining students. Not that he won't bug the crap out of them and make fun of them the entire time (or in the case of Anole, out him to everybody by casually telling his secret- of course Santo was the only one who hadn't known before that), but hey, you know the heart of gold is in there. I'm not as big a fan of his current "Craggy Form"- I kinda liked that there was some junior version of The Thing out there, as the reaction from Ben (and especially Johnny) would be hilarious.

-Santo actually appears a lot on various X-Books, but largely as a Background/Big Guy character- that requisite heavy-hitter that takes big-time damage to make the villain look stronger for having beaten him. The fact that Santo can come back from any kind of damage makes him ideal for this role, but kind of holds him back as a character. And true to form, the past couple of years have left him as a mere piece of wallpaper in the background, never really mattering again.

-Rockslide's gotten some weird power-upgrades. By what I read up on, he's a full-on Construct-type guy by this point, having absolutely no human body or organs or anything (he's described as a psionic entity that forms a rocklike exterior around it), meaning he's gotta be full-on Immune to Fortitude Effects. In addition to being a dense, large Brick-type guy, his melee abilities are backed up with a Bursting Area Blast, but he has to reform himself until he can regenerate in a couple rounds (I figure that's good for a Flaw if you can't do ANYTHING for a few rounds afterwards). He Regenerates, but slowly (he usually only does from being blown up, not just taking some regular damage). But still, an over-pointed Brick, and easily the most durable member of his team- also the easiest to hit, but hey, that's a Powerhouse for you.

-I also tossed in another thing he could occasionally do- absorb the powers of whatever rock he comes into contact with- such as the magical Lava-Rocks of Limbo or something- it's fairly rare and limited (typically gaining an Aura or Immunity to Limbo's Magic), so it's got a -3 Flaw on the Variable, but a unique trick most Bricks can't do.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
greycrusader

Re: Jab's Builds! (Surge! Dust! Hellion! Prodigy! Mercury!)

Post by greycrusader »

You know Jab, Marvel actually DID come up with a few winners in these New Mutants/Young X-Men; Rockslide (whom I agree had a much cooler "look" in his original incarnation), Dust, Mercury, Pixie, a couple of the others...and then just let them languish. Likely not only because of the overabundance of them, but also due to no monetary interest in seeing another characters become popular enough for Fox Studios to make real money off of them.

Very cool little mini-power you included for Rockslide-I never knew he could make like a junior league Absorbing Man to adopt the properties of other rocks, minerals, and gemstones. Nice touch!

I also agree Mercury's power-set is pretty rare, though clearly she was "inspired" by the T-1000, as you said (the T2 movie was fresher in the public eye when she first debuted); coincidentally, there is also a villain named Mercurial in GR's Rogues Gallery series with the same appearance and abilities, though the character is more an analogue of Inque, from the Batman Beyond cartoon.

All my best.
Jabroniville

Five-In-One

Post by Jabroniville »

THE STEPFORD CUCKOOS (Celeste, Esme, Irma/Mindee, Phoebe & Sophie Cuckoo)
Created By:
Grant Morrison & Ethan Van Sciver
First Appearance: New X-Men #118 (Nov. 2011)
Role: Weird Supporting Characters
PL 9 (135), PL 10 (135) Hive-Mind
STRENGTH
1/10 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Deception 6 (+6)
Expertise (Current Events) 2 (+5)
Intimidation 3 (+3)
Perception 4 (+6)
Persuasion 5 (+5)

Advantages:
Equipment (X-Student Uniform- Communications, Protection +1), Ranged Attack 2

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Hive-Mind Telepathy & Diamond Form"
"Diamond Form" Alternate Form 10 [69]

Note: All Mental Powers Have a Flaw on the top 2 Ranks- Limited to Proximity of Other Cuckoos

"Diamond Form" Alternate Form (55) -- [67]
  • Dynamic AE: Mind Control 10 (Feats: Dynamic) (39)
  • Dynamic AE: "Telepathy" Mind-Reading 10 (Feats: Dynamic) Linked to Communication (Mental) 3 (Extras: Area, Selective) (Flaws: 3rd Rank Limited to Proximity of Other Cuckoos) (36)
  • Dynamic AE: Illusion (Mental) 10 (Feats: Dynamic) (29)
  • Dynamic AE: "Mental Blast" Blast 10 (Extras: Perception-Ranged, Will Save) (Feats: Dynamic) (31)
  • Dynamic AE: "Mental Stun" Affliction 10 (Will; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Perception Range +2, Cumulative) (39)
  • Dynamic AE: "Astral Form" Remote Sensing 10 (Visuals & Hearing) (Feats: Dynamic) (Flaws: Physical Body is Defenseless) (19)
Senses 1 (Communication Link- Other Cuckoos) [1]
"Mental Detection" Senses 4 (Mental Awareness- Ranged, Radius, Acute) [4]
"Mind Shield" Enhanced Will Check 4 (Flaws: Limited to Mental Attacks) [2]

"Diamond Form"
Enhanced Strength 9 (18)
Protection 8 (Extras: Impervious 9) (17)
Immunity 20 (Mental Effects) (20) -- (55 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +5 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Diamond Form +5 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Mind Control/Mental Stun -- (+8-10 Perception-Ranged Affliction, DC 18-20)
Mind-Reading -- (+8-10 Mind-Reading, DC 18-20)
Mind Blast -- (+8-10 Perception-Ranged Damage, DC 23-25)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +2 (+10 Diamond Form, +5 Impervious), Fortitude +4, Will +5 (+9 Mind Shield)

Complications:
Relationship (Fellow Sisters)- Sophie was the most leader-like and dominant sister, Irma is adversarial, Phoebe is power-hungry, Celeste is a tattletale but the most kind-hearted, while Esme was also power-hungry and betrayed everyone to Xorn.
Relationship (Emma Frost)- The girls follow their sorta-mother around everywhere.

Total: Abilities: 36 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 74 / Defenses: 12 (135)

-The Stepfords were another trademark "Wacked-Out Grant Morrison Idea", being a quintet of telepathic hive-mind blonde girls, doing a "Creepy Child" kinda thing. A semi-running gag has led to them being frequently killed off (Sophie was killed stopping Quentin Quire, and Esme by Xorn/Magneto), and they're also possibly the future hosts of the Phoenix Force, but mostly, they hang around the background, saying weird/funny things, being the resident Psykers when Emma Frost goes off-line. Oddly, despite being some of the most notable X-Students, they've recieved the least amount of play in the actual Young X-Men series of books, Wolverine & The X-Men and Uncanny X-Men series. Oh, and they're also hyper-aged clones (like I've said before, my least favourite comic book cliche) of Emma, five of thousands- created to destroy mutants.

-So the Cuckoos debuted under Morrison's run- the favorites and proteges of Emma Frost, the #2 teacher at Xavier's school. The five sisters were disgusted by Quentin Quire (who had a crush on Sophie), and any student had a mental block that caused them to lose their train of thought whenever they questioned their origins. Sophie was killed by over-exertion, having taken the power-boosting drug "Kick" in order to stop Quire's riot. Esme, furious at Emma for inspiring Sophie to heroism, split from the group and joined Xorn's Mutant Brotherhood (he was in his Magneto disguise at the time), but was killed when she attacked him for refusing to return her affections. She died in Emma Frost's arms, declaring that "I never wanted to be like you". Eventually, the Cuckoos are revealed to be a "Weapon X" plot, and are designated "Weapon XIV"- thousands of clones of Emma Frost created in order to kill all the Mutants on Earth by combining their telepathic might.

-With Sophie & Esme dead, the other three were more or less clones of each other, with the same high & mighty personality. The Phoenix Force ends up possessing the girls, and the numerous other clones are killed by the girls (primarily Celeste). After this, the girls move into the background, helping out in many arcs, but generally just aiding Emma. All three move on to Cyclops and his Uncanny X-Men squadron of more militant characters, and two start dying their hair differently, which at least helps differentiate the three remaining Cuckoos. That said, they'll probably always be seen as replaceable nothings so long as there's a whole group of them, so unless one actually splits off and forges her own personality, they'll always just be "The Cuckoos"- Julian Fellowes actually said that he deliberately made the Crawley sisters as different as possible on Downton Abbey specifically to avoid them being called "The Crawley Girls"- they each had to exist in their own world.

-It's like Morrison just went out and said "Oh hey, y'know what'd be great for these new characters? To make them as hard to stat up by dorks using RPG systems as humanly possible" I had it pretty easy with a standard Telepathic Array (most bio-sites are pretty good listing all their tricks- Stun, Brainwashing, etc., and I've statted it up a billion times thanks to all the X-people with those powers), and even the Diamond Form/Power Loss (they lose Telepathy, but gain Immunity to the same) set-up was okay at heart. But their mental Gestalt, where they power up in each others' presence? Well, that's a little tougher. I think the best way to do it now that "Boost" is no longer a power in 3e is to basically count it as a limit on each Power's top ranks. 

-Oh yeah, plus there's an Alternate Form, allowing each girl to become a Diamond Girl like their "Mother" Emma- this power exists despite me NEVER HAVING SEEN IT EVER, because it's not used in any current series. Did the writers just forget about it? The Diamond Form is not part of the Dynamic Array, meaning that all of their other powers shut off while using it. This means they can be Diamond-like... OR they can use Telepathy in combination with a half-dozen other powers. Not the most user-friendly little build, but they're a complicated group.

The Sisters:
SOPHIE: Dead- killed by over-exerting herself in order to stop Quentin Quire.
PHOEBE: A bit power-hungry, and really loved the powers the Phoenix Force gave her. Eventually dyes her hair red.
IRMA: Called "Mindee" by Chuck Austen, who was unaware of Morrison's "Easter Egg" that the girl's names would spell out SPICE (as in "Spice Girls"). She had a couple of relationships with other students (such as Jay Guthrie), but they never worked out. Eventually dyes her hair brunette.
CELESTE: The primary host for the Phoenix Force during that one arc. The "tattletale" of the group, but also the most compassionate. Eventually the only one who keeps her long, blonde hair.
ESME: Dead- killed by Xorn after she attacked him for refusing to return her affections.
Jack of Spades

Re: Jab's Builds! (Surge! Dust! Hellion! Prodigy! Mercury!)

Post by Jack of Spades »

Santo's non-corporeal nature has been demonstrated a couple of times by him being blasted to rubble and re-forming from whatever rocks are handy. That's how he took on the properties of Limbo rock during that story arc. It's not so much something he does by mimicking what's around him as something that happens when he rebuilds his body out of loose material.

And he has been mistaken for the Thing, when he and Anole tried to become masked superheroes in San Francisco. Santo wore a hockey mask.

I'd vote Rockslide "Most likely to become a superhero or luchadore."
Jack's Deck build threadFantasy Geographic Society campaign web site
Jabroniville

NTW

Post by Jabroniville »

NEGASONIC TEENAGE WARHEAD (Ellie Phimister)
Created By:
Grant Morrison & Frank Quitely
First Appearance: New X-Men #115 (Aug. 2001)
Role: One-Off Goth Kid
Group Affiliations: None (The Illusory Hellfire Club doesn't count)
PL 6 (34)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 1 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 2 DEXTERITY 0

Skills: 

Advantages:
None

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Telepathy"
Mind-Reading 6 [12]
Senses 4 (Precognition) [4]

Offense:
Unarmed +2 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Mind-Reading -- (+6, DC 16)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +2 (DC 12), Parry +2 (DC 12), Toughness +1, Fortitude +2, Will +4

Complications: 
Prejudice (Mutant)

Total: Abilities: 10 / Skills: 4--2 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 16 / Defenses: 6 (34)

-A one-shot character that was intended to put a bit of a "face" on the otherwise-faceless genocide of Genosha, Negasonic Teenage Warhead (named for a Monster Magnet song... I only remember Space Lord, which is pretty bitching) was slain alongside millions of other Mutants by Cassandra Nova's Sentinels. She was one of the illusory Hellfire Club members created from Emma Frost's mind by Cassandra Nova, probably because this kind of disaffected Teen Girl Character is exactly the kind of thing Joss Whedon likes. And she was "iconic" enough that when she was resurrected during Necrosha, she was one of the few Transmode Zombies able to resist Selene's will (not that this went anywhere). She's apparently alive to this day, in a minor role. Basically, her entire job is to look like a Goth and have a weird name.

-She's probably most famous now for showing up out of freakin' nowhere for the Deadpool film, acting as a sort of sounding-board for Ryan Reynolds' Wade- while Colossus is brave, upstanding and moral; NTW basically couldn't give a crap about anything, and so she's pretty good for being sullen and rude, thus "no-selling" his quips. I figure they probably used her for her funny name, and because she was one of the Marvel Mutant Properties they didn't have to be overly careful with, meaning they had more freedom to do whatever. However, her powers were more similar to Cannonball's (and appropriate for her name).
M4C8

Re: NTW

Post by M4C8 »

Jabroniville wrote:Image

NEGASONIC TEENAGE WARHEAD (Ellie Phimister)
Created By:
Grant Morrison & Frank Quitely
First Appearance: New X-Men #115 (Aug. 2001)
Role: One-Off Goth Kid
Group Affiliations: None (The Illusory Hellfire Club doesn't count)
PL 6 (34)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 1 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 2 DEXTERITY 0

Skills: 

Advantages:
None

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Telepathy"
Mind-Reading 6 [12]
Senses 4 (Precognition) [4]

Offense:
Unarmed +2 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Mind-Reading -- (+6, DC 16)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +2 (DC 12), Parry +2 (DC 12), Toughness +1, Fortitude +2, Will +4

Complications: 
Prejudice (Mutant)

Total: Abilities: 10 / Skills: 4--2 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 16 / Defenses: 6 (34)

-A one-shot character that was intended to put a bit of a "face" on the otherwise-faceless genocide of Genosha, Negasonic Teenage Warhead (named for a Monster Magnet song... I only remember Space Lord, which is pretty bitching) was slain alongside millions of other Mutants by Cassandra Nova's Sentinels. She was one of the illusory Hellfire Club members created from Emma Frost's mind by Cassandra Nova, probably because this kind of disaffected Teen Girl Character is exactly the kind of thing Joss Whedon likes. And she was "iconic" enough that when she was resurrected during Necrosha, she was one of the few Transmode Zombies able to resist Selene's will (not that this went anywhere). She's apparently alive to this day, in a minor role. Basically, her entire job is to look like a Goth and have a weird name.

-She's probably most famous now for showing up out of freakin' nowhere for the Deadpool film, acting as a sort of sounding-board for Ryan Reynolds' Wade- while Colossus is brave, upstanding and moral; NTW basically couldn't give a crap about anything, and so she's pretty good for being sullen and rude, thus "no-selling" his quips. I figure they probably used her for her funny name, and because she was one of the Marvel Mutant Properties they didn't have to be overly careful with, meaning they had more freedom to do whatever. However, her powers were more similar to Cannonball's (and appropriate for her name).
She's actually alive (Now looking like her movie counterpart but with her original powers) in Deadpool's new mercenary team.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'