Interest Checks: Board Functionality Updates

Questions or concerns about the site? Have a suggestion, comment or critique? Make them known here.

What additional features would you be interested in?

Tables
24%
Spoiler Code
32%
Embedded Videos
21%
Additional BBC Code
11%
Other (Include in a post)
2%
None, the features are fine as is
10%

Total votes: 62

Ares
Site Admin

Interest Checks: Board Functionality Updates

Post by Ares » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:24 am

Hey folks.

So we're moving into the third year of Echoes' existence, and in that time the board has grown in user base, but not in feature. I'll admit, I'm no coding expert, so when I decided to launch this site, I went for the simplest forum plan I could fine, with some suggestions from a few people more tech savvy than me.

The current features Echoes has is all of the available ones included in the basic phpBB package. Any additional features I'd have to implement myself. And like I said, I'm no coding expert. BUT, phpBB is designed specifically to allow even guys like me the ability to add in new features to the site. And after all of the time and loyalty everyone here has put in, I think I should at the very least make the effort to start actively adding things you guys want to this place.

So. Here's a poll. Let me know what you think I'll give it some time, and if enough people want certain things, I'll do my best to make them happen.

Corrigon

Re: Interest Checks: Board Functionality Updates

Post by Corrigon » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:25 pm

Dice roller would be useful

Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:48 pm

I'm not sure why Spoiler Code is so desired as to get an overwhelming majority. Personally, I'm fine with the boring, vanilla forum, primarily because I'm afraid of something breaking when we try to change something :). I've switched forums twice already!!!

EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:20 pm

I don't know about other people, but I'd like to use it as an organizational tool. I don't know if you've seen some of my more recent character submissions, but the post lengths are quite massive, and not even the largest.

kirinke

Post by kirinke » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:26 pm

Tables and spoilers would be nice, but basic is okay with me. Embedded videos are annoying as all get out and are more trouble then they're worth (it's real easy to introduce viruses through them from what I hear).

squirrelly-sama

Post by squirrelly-sama » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:17 pm

kirinke wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:26 pm
Tables and spoilers would be nice, but basic is okay with me. Embedded videos are annoying as all get out and are more trouble then they're worth (it's real easy to introduce viruses through them from what I hear).
I'm not sure what you mean, this isn't attaching a video file from you're own computer but linking a youtube video so it autoplays, at which point you can't really introduce extra code into it.

kirinke

Post by kirinke » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:28 pm

I'm no expert. I just find them annoying if I'm not looking for them on purpose. I'm weird though.

FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:34 pm

kirinke wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:28 pm
I'm no expert. I just find them annoying if I'm not looking for them on purpose. I'm weird though. I do know though you can get some bad stuff if you're not careful with it.
FWIW, as someone who works in computers (and for the company who owns YouTube), you can get in trouble watching video on sights that have exploits active on them. You can get in trouble watching downloaded video files (buffer overruns, rooted operations tied to DRM, etc). You can get into trouble following links in the description or in overlays on the video when watching something on YouTube. You will not get a virus by watching a video on YouTube.

My general concern on embedded videos is auto-play and bandwidth, but embedded videos these days very seldom auto-play for bandwidth/annoyance reasons.

Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:02 pm

The more you know....or something like that. Thanks FuzzyBoots.

FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:19 pm

To be fair, it used to be more dangerous, in the days of Flash and ActiveX, which required higher access levels to your system, and had a much slower taste of security patches.

Jack of Spades

Post by Jack of Spades » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:55 am

Good lord. Embedded videos are a reason for me to never, ever visit a site. Please no. Use your words, people.
Jack's Deck build threadFantasy Geographic Society campaign web site

Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:43 am

Jack of Spades wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:55 am
Good lord. Embedded videos are a reason for me to never, ever visit a site. Please no. Use your words, people.
How come? Don't you have to click "Play", still?

Or is it just the nuisance stuff like "I'll post a video instead of saying my piece, so people will have to watch a 2-minute video to get my point" thing? Because yeah... that's annoying.

Ken

Post by Ken » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:50 am

How about the abilities to make polls?

Oh. Wait.
Roy Harper puts the 'arse' in Arsenal.

squirrelly-sama

Post by squirrelly-sama » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:49 am

Jabroniville wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:43 am
Jack of Spades wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:55 am
How come? Don't you have to click "Play", still?

Or is it just the nuisance stuff like "I'll post a video instead of saying my piece, so people will have to watch a 2-minute video to get my point" thing? Because yeah... that's annoying.
A picture's worth a thousand words. And a video is usually at least 30 pictures a second.

But honestly that sort of argument is like saying we shouldn't have pictures, because you can use words to describe the character and nothing else.