Power of the reboot.

The place to talk about your favorite novels, comic books and web comics.
Post Reply
RUSCHE
Posts: 330
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:50 pm

Power of the reboot.

Post by RUSCHE » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:00 pm

If you were to start Marvel or Dc over, how would you do it?
I believe the Hulk/Banner would be alkost the same as well as Captain America and the FF. Just curious as how others would start from the beginning now vs then. In other words, if you Marvel comics and DC were to stsrt publishing now.

Thanks for any input . Hope everyone has a great day.

User avatar
Bladewind
Posts: 2616
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:26 pm

Re: Power of the reboot.

Post by Bladewind » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:40 pm

A reboot where everything previously published exists and is "ignored" to create a new beginning or the last 90 years of comics never happened ?

If the former, you get things like we already have seen... If the latter, I would think it becomes interesting and easy to establish certain groups and heroes having operated much the same way they did in actual publishing years with similar stories. Something like what they did with Justice Society in Smallville.

I would think you would probably get something like the MCU in terms of worldbuilding if done right...

For specific characters, Batman would probably be something along the lines of the Nolanverse version, Superman would probably be darker (more in line with the Kingdom Come version) and Wonder Woman's movie could easily become her origin (regardless of changes I would make there, being a George Perez fan, the fight with Ares probably would have ended for me much like his opening run in the 80s.)

It also depends on how well the Big Two plan things out. In general, comics became the "huge continuity problem" that they did because of writers ignoring each other's stories, an initial and unintended indifference towards the notion of continuity and so on...

Coming back to my idea that they'd wind up doing something like the MCU... they started with one character and worked their way out from there... adding things retroactively (Captain America, Ant Man, Captain Marvel) and as they went (everyone else) to fill in their universe. I can only hope something like that would be done...

This could also be interesting in the sense that if the latter of my original two options, you start to consider which characters are in which universe and are free to, say, put Spidey in the Titans or Captain America in the Justice League and Superman in the Avengers... (not that those are the best examples of universe swapping.)
Thorpocalypse wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm
Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Bladewind's 3ed M&M Builds
The Merge Setting document

RUSCHE
Posts: 330
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:50 pm

Re: Power of the reboot.

Post by RUSCHE » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:58 pm

Bladewind wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:40 pm
A reboot where everything previously published exists and is "ignored" to create a new beginning or the last 90 years of comics never happened ?

If the former, you get things like we already have seen... If the latter, I would think it becomes interesting and easy to establish certain groups and heroes having operated much the same way they did in actual publishing years with similar stories. Something like what they did with Justice Society in Smallville.

I would think you would probably get something like the MCU in terms of worldbuilding if done right...

For specific characters, Batman would probably be something along the lines of the Nolanverse version, Superman would probably be darker (more in line with the Kingdom Come version) and Wonder Woman's movie could easily become her origin (regardless of changes I would make there, being a George Perez fan, the fight with Ares probably would have ended for me much like his opening run in the 80s.)

It also depends on how well the Big Two plan things out. In general, comics became the "huge continuity problem" that they did because of writers ignoring each other's stories, an initial and unintended indifference towards the notion of continuity and so on...

Coming back to my idea that they'd wind up doing something like the MCU... they started with one character and worked their way out from there... adding things retroactively (Captain America, Ant Man, Captain Marvel) and as they went (everyone else) to fill in their universe. I can only hope something like that would be done...

This could also be interesting in the sense that if the latter of my original two options, you start to consider which characters are in which universe and are free to, say, put Spidey in the Titans or Captain America in the Justice League and Superman in the Avengers... (not that those are the best examples of universe swapping.)
Total redo, all origins starting now. And i would love a merged Universe, taking the best of both.

User avatar
Woodclaw
Posts: 1058
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:05 pm
Location: Como, Italy

Re: Power of the reboot.

Post by Woodclaw » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:38 pm

What would I do? The answer is Rai #0 from 1992.
For those who don't know, Rai #0 was pretty much the blueprint for the original Valiant Universe. It outlined several key event for the different series from 1999 to the far future, never giving much in terms of details, but setting these events in stone.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)

RUSCHE
Posts: 330
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:50 pm

Re: Power of the reboot.

Post by RUSCHE » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:31 pm

Woodclaw wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:38 pm
What would I do? The answer is Rai #0 from 1992.
For those who don't know, Rai #0 was pretty much the blueprint for the original Valiant Universe. It outlined several key event for the different series from 1999 to the far future, never giving much in terms of details, but setting these events in stone.
I will have to check it out.

User avatar
Bladewind
Posts: 2616
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:26 pm

Re: Power of the reboot.

Post by Bladewind » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:49 pm

RUSCHE wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:58 pm
Total redo, all origins starting now. And i would love a merged Universe, taking the best of both.
In that case, my original thoughts stand. :)

MCU style - pick a flagship character for origin and then populate from there. Add characters retroactively in time (Cap in WWII, Wonder Woman in WW! and so on...)

It creates a canvas where you can work both back and forward in history...
Thorpocalypse wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm
Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Bladewind's 3ed M&M Builds
The Merge Setting document

RUSCHE
Posts: 330
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:50 pm

Re: Power of the reboot.

Post by RUSCHE » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:01 pm

Bladewind wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:49 pm
RUSCHE wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:58 pm
Total redo, all origins starting now. And i would love a merged Universe, taking the best of both.
In that case, my original thoughts stand. :)

MCU style - pick a flagship character for origin and then populate from there. Add characters retroactively in time (Cap in WWII, Wonder Woman in WW! and so on...)

It creates a canvas where you can work both back and forward in history...
Who would be your first?? This may sound odd, for me with the way the world is now, The Hulk, Dr. Banner working on a new energy source or bomb. The rest of the heroes from there dealong with him.

User avatar
Bladewind
Posts: 2616
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:26 pm

Re: Power of the reboot.

Post by Bladewind » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:55 pm

That's kind of neat... and definitely something I could see working with... combined universe or not...
Thorpocalypse wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm
Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Bladewind's 3ed M&M Builds
The Merge Setting document

User avatar
Woodclaw
Posts: 1058
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:05 pm
Location: Como, Italy

Re: Power of the reboot.

Post by Woodclaw » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:11 am

RUSCHE wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:31 pm
Woodclaw wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:38 pm
What would I do? The answer is Rai #0 from 1992.
For those who don't know, Rai #0 was pretty much the blueprint for the original Valiant Universe. It outlined several key event for the different series from 1999 to the far future, never giving much in terms of details, but setting these events in stone.
I will have to check it out.
Keep in mind, I never said I would release this to the public ;)
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)

User avatar
Sidious
Posts: 1049
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:27 am

Re: Power of the reboot.

Post by Sidious » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:22 pm

probably keep it traditional.

Year 0.1:
Fantastic Four
Iron Man
Spiderman
Thor
Antman & the Wasp

Year 0.2:
X-Men

Year 0.3:
First app of Dr Doom in the FF

Year 0.4:
Hulk first issue
Magneto forms the Brotherhood

Year 0.6:
The coming of Galactus big event. Involves everyone except the Hulk.
Captain Marvel debuts in their own book.

Year 1:
annual time. IronMan, Thor, Antman & Wasp, and Spiderman team up to stop the Hulk who's being manipulated by Loki. Concludes in Hulk where the group joins forces forming the Avengers. Spiderman declines full-time membership as he's still a minor.

Year 1.2:
First appearance of the Mk1 Sentinels
Avengers new ongoing book

Year 1.4:
Hulk temper tantrums and quits Avengers. Down to 4.

Year 1.6
Avengers discover the frozen body of Captain America.
Captain America and Captain Marvel join the Avengers, bringing their number to 6

Year 2:
Hydra take over. Big plot for this years annuals.
Spinning out of the Annuals Captain America gets his own book.

I realize this is just a marvel timeline, I'd like a combined universe but i don't think that was what was asked for.
Additionally I see there are gaps, but I'm just doing the highlights.

RUSCHE
Posts: 330
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:50 pm

Re: Power of the reboot.

Post by RUSCHE » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:53 pm

Sidious wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:22 pm
probably keep it traditional.

Year 0.1:
Fantastic Four
Iron Man
Spiderman
Thor
Antman & the Wasp

Year 0.2:
X-Men

Year 0.3:
First app of Dr Doom in the FF

Year 0.4:
Hulk first issue
Magneto forms the Brotherhood

Year 0.6:
The coming of Galactus big event. Involves everyone except the Hulk.
Captain Marvel debuts in their own book.

Year 1:
annual time. IronMan, Thor, Antman & Wasp, and Spiderman team up to stop the Hulk who's being manipulated by Loki. Concludes in Hulk where the group joins forces forming the Avengers. Spiderman declines full-time membership as he's still a minor.

Year 1.2:
First appearance of the Mk1 Sentinels
Avengers new ongoing book

Year 1.4:
Hulk temper tantrums and quits Avengers. Down to 4.

Year 1.6
Avengers discover the frozen body of Captain America.
Captain America and Captain Marvel join the Avengers, bringing their number to 6

Year 2:
Hydra take over. Big plot for this years annuals.
Spinning out of the Annuals Captain America gets his own book.

I realize this is just a marvel timeline, I'd like a combined universe but i don't think that was what was asked for.
Additionally I see there are gaps, but I'm just doing the highlights.
I like it.

User avatar
saint_matthew
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:47 am

Re: Power of the reboot.

Post by saint_matthew » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:35 am

RUSCHE wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:00 pm
If you were to start Marvel or Dc over, how would you do it?
I wouldn't. I'd create something entirely new. It might take a while to explain the concept of new content & not rehashing older content to the bean counters & paper pushers, but I think once they understand the concept it might catch on. :lol:

RUSCHE
Posts: 330
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:50 pm

Re: Power of the reboot.

Post by RUSCHE » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:46 pm

saint_matthew wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:35 am
RUSCHE wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:00 pm
If you were to start Marvel or Dc over, how would you do it?
I wouldn't. I'd create something entirely new. It might take a while to explain the concept of new content & not rehashing older content to the bean counters & paper pushers, but I think once they understand the concept it might catch on. :lol:
I say this with all due respect, good luck. Those damn been counters and paper pushers are a pain...hahah.

User avatar
Bladewind
Posts: 2616
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:26 pm

Re: Power of the reboot.

Post by Bladewind » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:28 am

He's got a point though.

One of the things about the What Ifs and Elseworlds is that because they are retelling the origin of a known character they use a lot of references so that we (the readers) can still recognize the character. Superman: Kal was set in medieval times but still had Lois, Lex Luthor and others so that we *knew* who to trust and who not to... Even Superman: Red Son did it with Luthor, Batman, the Lanterns... making it so they didn't have to recreate things completely, and gave us reference points here and there.

You'd run into the same problem here... You'd either need to recreate entirely (where you'd wind up with Stan Lee's Just Imagine...) or concede that you're moving characters through time - Tony Stark is in 2009 Middle East as opposed to a similar scenario in the 60s and building off the charactes you want and discarding the rest...
Thorpocalypse wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm
Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Bladewind's 3ed M&M Builds
The Merge Setting document

Post Reply