AEGIS Squad, Region 2 (OOC)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
kenseido

Re: Recruiting (Ends June 27) - AEGIS Squad, Region 2

Post by kenseido »

Supernaturalist wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:39 pmI guess I envisioned it as a sort of miasma (or radiation-like) substance that can potentially pass through (or bounce off) inorganic materials without actually harming them. I realize that it is a strange type of damage. It is arcane in nature and only damages living tissue (though it can interact with and be deflected by non-living matter). If you like, I can alter it in any way you find reasonable.
That sounds like you actually want Alternative Save - Fortitude, which is a +1/rank Advantage. It would be a quirk or Complication (your choice) to only affect organic living beings, as there are few inorganic beings that also have a FORT save.
Supernaturalist

Post by Supernaturalist »

kenseido wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:16 pm
Supernaturalist wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:39 pmI guess I envisioned it as a sort of miasma (or radiation-like) substance that can potentially pass through (or bounce off) inorganic materials without actually harming them. I realize that it is a strange type of damage. It is arcane in nature and only damages living tissue (though it can interact with and be deflected by non-living matter). If you like, I can alter it in any way you find reasonable.
That sounds like you actually want Alternative Save - Fortitude, which is a +1/rank Advantage. It would be a quirk or Complication (your choice) to only affect organic living beings, as there are few inorganic beings that also have a FORT save.
Well, I saw the "Only Affects Organic Life" as a Flaw, since it would mean that she could not use it against robots, undead, vehicles, or even to blast her way out of a building/structure. Its seemed to limit the damage effect significantly. Is your suggestion an "advantage" because Toughness tends to be higher than Fortitude?
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

It can be a limiter... When you're expected to be going up against said robots, undead, vehicles, or rampaging buildings half the time. I imagine the AEGIS squad will more often then not be fighting actual criminals and quite possibly other remnant alien invaders. Not to day we wouldn't encounter them, but more the exception then the rule.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Supernaturalist wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:03 amWell, I saw the "Only Affects Organic Life" as a Flaw, since it would mean that she could not use it against robots, undead, vehicles, or even to blast her way out of a building/structure. Its seemed to limit the damage effect significantly. Is your suggestion an "advantage" because Toughness tends to be higher than Fortitude?
The problem is that, as written, the blast would have to make contact directly with living organic material. Even a shirt would stop it if you hit them in the chest. You would have to start targeting specific body parts, which are much harder to hit due to their small size.

If you use the Alternate Resistance - FORT Advantage, then you would ignore body armor and force fields, and it wouldn't injure objects or constructs. You could add a Quirk or Complication that only organic living beings are affected. Yes Fortitude tends to be lower. And you would be doing damage, so it is DC15+rank, instead of most FORT save powers which are DC10+rank.
Supernaturalist

Ok, I changed the power-build to this:

“Necrosis” - Ranged Necrotic Damage 10 (Extra: Alternate Resistance - Fortitude; Flaws: Only Affects Organic Life, Distracting) (10pp)

It reflects the fact that the "blast" can penetrate materials to affect the organism beneath/behind it. It also reflects the fact that the blast is basically a spell and requires chanting and more concentration than a typical ranged damage effect. Does this seem reasonable?
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Supernaturalist wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:12 pmOk, I changed the power-build to this:

“Necrosis” - Ranged Necrotic Damage 10 (Extra: Alternate Resistance - Fortitude; Flaws: Only Affects Organic Life, Distracting) (10pp)

It reflects the fact that the "blast" can penetrate materials to affect the organism beneath/behind it. It also reflects the fact that the blast is basically a spell and requires chanting and more concentration than a typical ranged damage effect. Does this seem reasonable?
As I have stated twice now, Only Affects Organic Life is not a -1/rank Flaw. It is a Quirk or Complication.
Supernaturalist

kenseido wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:59 pm
Supernaturalist wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:12 pmOk, I changed the power-build to this:

As I have stated twice now, Only Affects Organic Life is not a -1/rank Flaw. It is a Quirk or Complication.
Sorry about that. I hope my corrections are right this time. Here are my changes to try and make the power points work:

“Necrosis” - Ranged Necrotic Damage 10 (Extra: Alternate Resistance - Fortitude, Extended Range 1; Flaws: Quirk: Only Affects Organic Life, Distracting) (20pp)

The changes effectively doubled the power cost. The Extended Range 1 added a power point of cost to offset the Quirk (which I assume is only a -1 flat). I got rid of the "Ritual Teleport" power in order to make up the other 10 pp of cost. I hope it works this time.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

However this Aegis group will shake out, it's going to be diverse. There is everything from proper agent to a necromancer type as submissions.
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Supernaturalist wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:46 pmThe changes effectively doubled the power cost. The Extended Range 1 added a power point of cost to offset the Quirk (which I assume is only a -1 flat). I got rid of the "Ritual Teleport" power in order to make up the other 10 pp of cost. I hope it works this time.
Alternately, you could build a few of your powers into an array. Drop the Extended Range and use the point to buy Teleport as an AE.
Supernaturalist

kenseido wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:16 pm
Supernaturalist wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:46 pmThe changes effectively doubled the power cost. The Extended Range 1 added a power point of cost to offset the Quirk (which I assume is only a -1 flat). I got rid of the "Ritual Teleport" power in order to make up the other 10 pp of cost. I hope it works this time.
Alternately, you could build a few of your powers into an array. Drop the Extended Range and use the point to buy Teleport as an AE.
Thanks for the suggestion. Since the power is based around magic, I may rearrange some things to indicate spells that might be cast as part of a magic-array. Obviously, I had the character concept before I had the build completely ironed out. I have a couple of days left, correct?
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Still working on my light and dark character...
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Supernaturalist wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:34 pmThanks for the suggestion. Since the power is based around magic, I may rearrange some things to indicate spells that might be cast as part of a magic-array. Obviously, I had the character concept before I had the build completely ironed out. I have a couple of days left, correct?
Yeah, as long as enough of the character is posted for me to get a good understanding of them, you are good to go. I don't want to start until after the holiday, so there will be time to tweak them.
Supernaturalist

Kenseido,

Here is the plan for creating a small "Magic Array" based of the core "Necrosis" power. By dropping the Extended Range 1 from the Necrosis power, that frees up a point to add one alternate effect. If I also drop the Assessment Advantage, that will free up a second point to add two alternate effects to the array.

Since the "Necrosis" power will then have 19 pp, the two alternate effects will obviously have the same amount. Here are my two ideas:

Ritual Teleport” – Teleport 9 [Extra: Accurate +1/r, Extended (500 miles) +1/r, Increased Mass 1(100lbs) +1 Flat; Flaws: Only Extended -1/r, Requires Ritual -1/r] (19pp)

Gate to the Negative Plane” – Summon 9 [Extra: Heroic +2/r, Variable Type (Powerful Undead) +1/r, Mental Link +1 Flat; Flaw: Resistible (Will) -1/r, Attitude (Indifferent) -1/r, Requires Ritual -1/r] (19pp)

Both are rituals. The first power is more practical, granting her a nice movement power at the expense of considerable time and effort. The second power is much trickier, and likely to be used only under extreme circumstances (perhaps if additional, powerful help is needed). Even then the summoned creature is indifferent and unlikely to help unless some clear (and substantial) benefit can be gained. I see it as a "Hail Mary" type of power, only to be used when most other options have failed.

Reasonable? Silly?
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

What does "Requires Ritual" mean?
Supernaturalist

kenseido wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:32 am What does "Requires Ritual" mean?
I'm assuming that the knowledge of the rituals are already known to Elizabeth, but the spell/power follows the ritual casting rules on pg. 160 of the Heroes Handbook. It takes 10 minutes per power-point of the "spell", so casting either ritual will take 190 minutes (or 3 hours and 10 minutes) to cast.