[IC] [3E] The Neophyte Freedom City Experience - The Assault on the Nerian Nexus

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Post Reply
FuzzyBoots
Posts: 2196
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:20 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

[IC] [3E] The Neophyte Freedom City Experience - The Assault on the Nerian Nexus

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Several years ago, Adrian Eldrich, noted archeologist and Freedom City philanthropist, died. It was a death that you noted at the time, but ascribed no particular importance too. Today, it suddenly hit you. The Master Mage is dead. Earth stands defenseless against multiple mystic entities. How could it have taken so long for you to realize that Earth was vulnerable? Vaguely, you recognize the vestiges of a worldwide geas. Something had acted to ensure that the forces of evil would not know that the henhouse was unguarded, and had apparently worked all too well, leaving the rest of Earth's mystic defenders as ignorant of the threat as the mundane world. But now, you are completely aware that the world is now in danger, unguarded. Who will assume the mantle of the Master Mage of Earth? And why has it remained unclaimed for so long? Or has it?

Gunmir
You're in the midst of an important exam in Organic Biology when the knowledge of the Master Mage's demise flashes through your mind. You have a brief vision of an unassuming brownstone building, the address indistinct other than the street name, Ditko St. You know that something is happening there, but you are unsure as to what. Plus, this exam is worth a substantial percentage of your grade...

Aeon
You were at Fourth and Tenth Bank of Freedom City when the vision hit you. Flashes of visions overcome you... zombies commanded by top-hatted liches, bikers circling around a hooded figure, the flames of Hell erupting around them as the end of the world approaches, a spear transfixing an oversized human form who is clutching a book sized to it while a figure with flashing white fangs reaches forward to twist the spear... and above it all, you see a looking demonic figure that looks strangely familiar, reaching to pluck away the book and body and spear...

You awake from the vision to find that you've reflexively reached out to seize the book, hand glowing with power, except before you is a terrified teller, who has their hands up, and is glancing nervously down and then back up at you.

"I don't want any trouble," the teller babbles, "Please, what do you want?"

The Cursed Conjurer
After having put in a significant morning's work, you've decided it was worth taking a bit of break from things by fixing a good lunch and relaxing with a bit of TV. As you settle down with a plate of air-fried mini-tacos (you know that Abuela would scowl mightily at you for cutting corners like this, but sometimes, a man deserves a little easy life) and a Coca-Cola, you turn on the TV in preparation for something mindless. As the TV comes up, a break news report interrupts your attempt to queue on a streaming service.
“This is Jenny-Lynn James reporting live from Ditko Street, outside the police line now surrounding the former home of the late Adrian Eldrich, rumored by some to be the so-called Master Mage. Earlier this evening, notorious Crime League members Medea and Tom Cyprus arrived here, and after what witnesses called an “incantation,” entered the property. Perhaps a dozen other super-villains arrived moments later, fighting each other to be the next inside. Police are currently overwhelmed. The mayor is calling on all available heroes for help.”

A swirl of ghastly green and black vapor washes over the reporter. It parts to reveal a lifelike stone statue of Jenny-Lynn, face frozen in fear. After a moment of tense silence, a corpse-grey face leans into frame. Garbed like a birthday stage magician, his face fixed in a rictus grin, he speaks in a deathly rattle.

“Sorry, folks at home, but I don’t do ‘live’ television. If you want to see my command performance, roll on down and pick yourself up a ticket for the show. I still need plenty of audience volunteers.” He levels a black wand at the camera and the feed abruptly… dies.
OOC wrote:This is your cue to act. Everyone starts with 1 HP. Gunmir and Aeon start with an additional Hero Point for invoked Complications.
Currently running The Freedom City Neophyte Experience IC OOC
Also The Freedom City Neophyte Experience Part Deux IC OOC
My Builds
Ioncrad
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2021 1:54 am

Re: [IC] [3E] The Neophyte Freedom City Experience - The Assault on the Nerian Nexus

Post by Ioncrad »

Gunmir
HP: 2
Status:
Stressed
Gunmir stands from his sit in the testing room, sweat dripping down the side of his face. He walks over to the testing director, staring him down with determined spirit. Asking him.

"May I be excused? It's an emergency. A really big one."
FuzzyBoots
Posts: 2196
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:20 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: [IC] [3E] The Neophyte Freedom City Experience - The Assault on the Nerian Nexus

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Gunmir

The procter, a TA who's been at the University for some time, fixes Gunmir with a jaded air.
"Mr. Jail, I hope you have a better excuse than the last fellow, who had suddenly found out his grandmother had died for the third time. This test is a very important one for you, and I know you don't want to risk any of your scholarships... unless your 'big emergency' has to do with not having used the facilities beforehand?" His voice raises slightly, the sun's carrying, although not enough that you can really call him out for trying to embarrass you.

"If you're having trouble with your bowels, I certainly wouldn't want to run afoul of not properly accommodating your condition, although I will have to ask someone to walk you down and back to avoid a cheat sheet handoff."
OOC wrote: Persuasion or Deception might work here, although I'm open to other solutions.
Currently running The Freedom City Neophyte Experience IC OOC
Also The Freedom City Neophyte Experience Part Deux IC OOC
My Builds
Ioncrad
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2021 1:54 am

Re: [IC] [3E] The Neophyte Freedom City Experience - The Assault on the Nerian Nexus

Post by Ioncrad »

Gunmir
HP: 2
Status:
Stressed
Jacey makes a shy gesture rubbing the back of his head.
"It's a personal thing, I don't want to really talk about... But I need to be excused to handle it quickly." He takes his hand away and places it in his pocket leaving a thumb out, mirroring the same action with his other hand.

"I'll be honest Sir It is not a restroom issue. It's something else... I know it's asking a lot of you to just trust me on this, but I can't stay here. I swear to explain all of this too you when I return." Jacey says his voice getting smaller as to not disturb the other testers in the room. He looks at the procter with a wishful face full of hope as he awaits his response.
OOC wrote:Persuasion roll of 14
Niffy
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:16 am

Re: [IC] [3E] The Neophyte Freedom City Experience - The Assault on the Nerian Nexus

Post by Niffy »

The Cursed Conjurer
Hp: 1
Status: Annoyed
"Por Dios, joder." Mateo pops a taco in his mouth and begins muttering to himself.
[OOC] [Does Mateo recognize the location? If not he'll begin a incantation to locate the scene.]
Blazichaos
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:09 am

Re: [IC] [3E] The Neophyte Freedom City Experience - The Assault on the Nerian Nexus

Post by Blazichaos »

Aeon
HP: 2
Status: startled

"Oh, oh dear, I-I'm terribly sorry" mark softly tells the teller, pulling back his hand and holding it curled in his other while staring straight at the counter. "I-I have a condition which causes hallucinations you see, it also tends to cause bizarre effects like that, I'm terribly, terribly, sorry, I must have forgotten to have my medication this morning" marks lips strings together words, yet his mind is still drowned in the afterthoughts of the vision, what was that? A spear, a dark entity, demonic bikers, and... liches with top hats? He must have seen something else. The twin celestials are prone to causing random visions, but... somethings different, whatever it is, he can't stay here. "He-here" as Mark pulls out his wallet from his back pocket and scraps up what cash he can manage from random notes and coins still in there. "Take this, for the trouble I caused you, I-I should get going" He holds in a small wince, he was saving that for a book he had his eyes on in an antique store, and the owner wasn't a man of cheap prices, but getting out of the bank, preferably without causing a ruckus was his top priority, even if it meant letting some snobby con-artist "street magician" get a fine collectible.
OOC wrote:I presume you'll want me to do some kind of skill check (logically persuasion or deception) in order to get out of the bank smoothly.
FuzzyBoots
Posts: 2196
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:20 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: [IC] [3E] The Neophyte Freedom City Experience - The Assault on the Nerian Nexus

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Gunmir

The proctor looks blandly at Gunmir and for a moment, it looks like he's going to press the point, but then he sighs and rolls his eyes.
"Well, it's a free country, so I can't tell you you can't leave. I can tell you that you can't come back, and it's at the discretion of your instructor as to whether you can schedule a makeup. If not, you'll only receive points for any completed answers." He smiles thinly. "Either way, it's your choice, and not my problem."

With a bit of mental arithmetic, Gunmir thinks he might be able to get 20% of the total points, assuming his answers so far are correct. And the teacher was a bit of a hardass when it came to scheduling makeup exams. If legend proved true, the makeup exams tended to be twice as hard, with the teacher assuming that the student had the benefit of having seen the prior questions, and studying up on them.
Currently running The Freedom City Neophyte Experience IC OOC
Also The Freedom City Neophyte Experience Part Deux IC OOC
My Builds
FuzzyBoots
Posts: 2196
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:20 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: [IC] [3E] The Neophyte Freedom City Experience - The Assault on the Nerian Nexus

Post by FuzzyBoots »

The Cursed Conjurer

Based on the description of the battle happening outside of Adrian Eldrich's home, it's a matter of a quick database search to find the address of 110 Ditko St. While he wasn't listed in the phonebook, he was a philanthropist of some note. Some corner of your mind points out that he's been dead for some time, and that it's a bit odd that in the interim, you don't remember seeing any mention in the newspapers or tabloids about what was being done with his house and extensive collection of artifacts. More worrying, you are aware of his status as Master Mage of Earth, and you can't help but wonder who's been guarding the proverbial henhouse.

The cadaverous figure also spins up some memories in your head. Abracadaver appeared goody, a silver age throwback with his appearance, his horrible death-based puns, and his instance on making every encounter a show. On the other hand, he has a death count to his name. Bystanders caught in one of his "tricks" were in real danger as the peril was far from faked, and he has a bad habit of raising the dead to serve him, and then leaving them to create more havoc as he escapes, which he does with annoying regularity.
OOC wrote:I went ahead and gave you the advantage of a Take 10 on your Well-Informed for a total of 20. The location is close enough that you should be able to get close enough, whether with your powers or by taking a taxi.

And did you set your Variable points?
Currently running The Freedom City Neophyte Experience IC OOC
Also The Freedom City Neophyte Experience Part Deux IC OOC
My Builds
FuzzyBoots
Posts: 2196
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:20 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: [IC] [3E] The Neophyte Freedom City Experience - The Assault on the Nerian Nexus

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Aeon

The teller looks at you, open-mouthed. "Sir, I need your bank information if I am to deposit this." She glances down again, then back up again, her teeth catching on her lip with a look of faint guilt.
"I... I might need a second to count all of this too... unless you have a deposit slip?"
OOC wrote:Persuasion or Deception could work for trying to talk your way around things. Can I also get an Insight check?
Currently running The Freedom City Neophyte Experience IC OOC
Also The Freedom City Neophyte Experience Part Deux IC OOC
My Builds
Blazichaos
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:09 am

Re: [IC] [3E] The Neophyte Freedom City Experience - The Assault on the Nerian Nexus

Post by Blazichaos »

Aeon
HP: 2
Status:
startled
OOC wrote:Roll of 9 for a total insight roll of 25;
http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=257029
FuzzyBoots
Posts: 2196
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:20 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: [IC] [3E] The Neophyte Freedom City Experience - The Assault on the Nerian Nexus

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Aeon

As the Teller glances down again, and then avoids your eyes, you realize what must have happened. She pressed a silent alarm button while you were in your trance, which is likely summoning the police or heroes.
Currently running The Freedom City Neophyte Experience IC OOC
Also The Freedom City Neophyte Experience Part Deux IC OOC
My Builds
Ioncrad
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2021 1:54 am

Re: [IC] [3E] The Neophyte Freedom City Experience - The Assault on the Nerian Nexus

Post by Ioncrad »

Gunmir
HP: 2
Status:
Nervous
Gunmir nods "Thank you..." and as silently as he can slips out of class. He runs down the hallway as fast as his human legs will carry him, as soon as he reaches the outside. He takes a quick measure of his surroundings moving somewhere isolated before conjuring his phantasmal dragon wings on his back. Their colors being a translucent shimmering prism of all colors forming in and out like hypnotic patterns. He takes flight to Ditko St. to figure out what could be happening at so important a time for him.
Blazichaos
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:09 am

Re: [IC] [3E] The Neophyte Freedom City Experience - The Assault on the Nerian Nexus

Post by Blazichaos »

Aeon
HP: 2
Status:
startled

Well... this is a problem, run outside? Will catch too much attention, calmly walk outside? The police will be here by then and he can forget running from heroes. Horizon gate? Too many people, too much ruckus, too easily seeable as Aeons. Well, there IS an option... Mark has to find somewhere to hide for a second. "Ah I-I'm sorry," says Mark, "the condition also tends to make me sick, I need the restroom NOW, just keep the money" and starts to head to the closest restroom he can see, hoping that the teller lets him.
FuzzyBoots
Posts: 2196
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:20 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: [IC] [3E] The Neophyte Freedom City Experience - The Assault on the Nerian Nexus

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Gunmir

Gunmir's flight takes him swiftly to the location in question and it's evident what is happening.

Several villains and at least a dozen police officers lie injured on the street outside a police barricade. Beyond it, several figures still menace the crowd: A zombie in a tuxedo and cape holds several bystanders captive, bound in various magical props as he prepares an array of swords. Nearby, the figure of an eight-foot woman made from living, shifting sand delivers a punch so brutal you can feel the impact in your bones. Her blow knocks an orc-faced biker to the street, minus several teeth, but already two more mounted motorcyclists circle her, brandishing wicked-looking weapons.

Beyond the fracas stands an unassuming brownstone with its door standing open, notable only for the stained glass window on its second floor. It’s so unremarkable, your eyes almost refuse to linger on it or pay it any real attention.
Currently running The Freedom City Neophyte Experience IC OOC
Also The Freedom City Neophyte Experience Part Deux IC OOC
My Builds
FuzzyBoots
Posts: 2196
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:20 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: [IC] [3E] The Neophyte Freedom City Experience - The Assault on the Nerian Nexus

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Aeon

The teller's face exhibits obvious chagrin and you can almost see her running through a checklist of things that should or should be said in the case of a powered individual making a request before resolves passes over her face. She gives a minute glance up towards some cameras before she raises her hands in a way that could be seen as trying to fend off causing offense, but could equally be read as surrender.

"Of course, sir, the bathrooms are just that way," she says, jerking her head slightly to one direction.
OOC wrote:You recognize that she's realized that she may have jumped the gun, and is trying to cover herself if this comes down to an investigation, but is also trusting that you have a way out.

Incidentally, if you do head that way, you do find the bathroom, currently unoccupied.
Currently running The Freedom City Neophyte Experience IC OOC
Also The Freedom City Neophyte Experience Part Deux IC OOC
My Builds
Post Reply