[IC] [3E] The Neophyte Freedom City Experience - A Cold Day in Midtown

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
FuzzyBoots
Posts: 2137
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:20 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

[IC] [3E] The Neophyte Freedom City Experience - A Cold Day in Midtown

Post by FuzzyBoots »

GM

It's a beautiful Saturday morning in Freedom City in early June. After a few days of scattered showers, today is sunny, showing the first hints of summer with a projected high mid-day of 95 degrees Fahrenheit. Right now, it's a more balmy 85 in town at 10 AM. Glad to get a chance to make use of the pools recently re-opened for Labor Day, it's not uncommon to see a bus go by with everyone on it touting pool gear, some already dressed in their suits. Freedom Park is liberally dotted with blankets from picnicking families, and there's a spirited game of Ultimate Frisbee on the athletic fields at Freedom City University which seems to have turned into an impromptu intramural tournament as several teams realized they'd had the same idea.
OOC wrote:Please make a most on how your hero is spending their morning. Maybe they're out having fun. Maybe they've been called into the office for an urgent matter and are looking forward to finishing it in time to still make it to a pool today. Maybe they drew the short straw, or volunteered, and they're on patrol, or manning a monitor looking out for potential trouble.

All heroes start with one Hero Point, and will earn an additional one with a good post about what you're up to. Feel free to note any Complications that you want to already potentially be an issue, like work obligations, an important engagement with friends or family, or the like.
Currently running The Freedom City Neophyte Experience IC OOC
Also The Freedom City Neophyte Experience Part Deux IC OOC
My Builds
UmbralDagger13
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:16 pm

Re: [IC] [3E] The Neophyte Freedom City Experience - A Cold Day in Midtown

Post by UmbralDagger13 »

Snowdrift/Alexander Olwenson
HP: 1
Status: Normal

Alex was up early having planned a visit to the Pier Two Shopping Center early to try avoiding the crowds and after checking the news the heat as well. He packed his bag with his outfit and some water before stopping and writing a note saying he'd like to explain things and leaving the note for his parents on the fridge, then he headed to the station. He decided to board the E Line at Shelley, switch lines at the 40th and Taft station, finally getting off of the D Line at Madison, choosing to walk the remaining distance. Grabbing a bottle and drinking heavily from it, he prepared to head towards the Pier to look for a couple gifts for his family, having wanted to start mending the rift he had caused.
TheMadDadder
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun May 29, 2022 6:46 am

Re: [IC] [3E] The Neophyte Freedom City Experience - A Cold Day in Midtown

Post by TheMadDadder »

Mirror Maiden/Desirae Draper
HP: 1
Status: Normal


Desirae Draper was one of the many folks to lay out a blanket on the beautiful summer's day. Unlike the others, she was alone, but it didn't bother her today. No, today was a day of relaxation in the park. She didn't get many days like this. She was a workaholic both as a psychologist during the day and as a part-time hero at night, but, when her appointments called in to cancel, she couldn't help herself. She closed her office, stopped home to change, and drove straight to Freedom Park.

The warm embrace of the sun's light helped her bruised muscles to relax and loosen up. When she wasn't soaking up sun, she was sipping on ice tea beneath her umbrella, watching the frisbee game take place. It was the best day she'd had in a while.
This is the first day in a long time Desirae has been able to relax considering her double life. If something were to ruin it, she'd most likely get very upset.
WeFallout
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:25 am

Re: [IC] [3E] The Neophyte Freedom City Experience - A Cold Day in Midtown

Post by WeFallout »

Avian / Silas
HP: 1
Status: Normal

Silas is just leaving a board meeting that began especially early that day. He goes and grabs a coffee from the stall outside the building, his daily bacon butty, and flies to the top of the building. He sits on the edge watching the Ultimate Frisbee game and flicks through his phone, keeping an eye on any updates or reports.
jojomiller12
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:09 am

Re: [IC] [3E] The Neophyte Freedom City Experience - A Cold Day in Midtown

Post by jojomiller12 »

Overdrive
HP: 1
Status: Normal

Overdrive is recovering from last night's underground performance, drinking some sore throat medicine and running out to grab some Herbal Tea. He does this in costume as he never really leaves his house without it, and he frequents the tea shop often enough to be a regular. He nods his appreciation to the older lady behind the counter. While he knows visiting a soothing herbal tea shop is not particularly "Metal" of him, he knows the tea there works wonders to restore the strain that overusing his power has on his throat. He steps out of the shop, tea in hand into the city glancing around to appreciate the number of people awake and busy this "early."
FuzzyBoots
Posts: 2137
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:20 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: [IC] [3E] The Neophyte Freedom City Experience - A Cold Day in Midtown

Post by FuzzyBoots »

GM

The weather is rarely so perfect, with clear blue skies and a gentle ocean breeze relieving the heat of the sun. The whole city is out enjoying its good fortune, crowding sidewalk cafés and parks. It’s absurd when the first snowflake drifts down from the sky, but as a few flakes give way to a bitterly cold torrent, the silent awe soon turns to panic.

Soon the wind howls and cascades of hail and freezing rain join the snow, coating streets, buildings, and huddled, short-sleeved crowds of hypothermic Freedonians. Somewhere nearby, the squeal of tires and crunch of metal signal the first of what is undoubtedly hundreds of accidents to come.

Overdrive and Snowdrift

As people dash for the relative warmth of storefronts, quickly clogging up in the doorways, a more immediate threat becomes evident. A protracted horn heralds a bus, skidding askew down the road, obviously having lost traction. The crush to enter the strorefronts intensifies as you start to hear cries of pain from people caught in the push, and in the middle of the road, in the path of the bus, there's a woman frantically trying to unhook her baby from a stroller that's stuck in a pothole, and a pair of unlucky shopper are lying dazed in the street another 10 feet down. In the chaos, you don't know how they fell, but they're only moving sluggishly, on their hands and knees, their bare knees already abraded by the ice they're crawling along. A quick glance down the road shows the likely trajectory of the bus if not stopped, a glass-fronted sports shop by the name of Peddleton Sports.
OOC wrote:This is a fairly open-ended challenge. You have four people who are stuck on the streets, many people fighting to get their way into stores, and of course, the of-course bus. Let me know what you plan to do, and I'll let you know what the proper check and DC are.
Avian and Mirror Maiden

The picnickers and players are dissolving in a frantic mob as they dash to try to find some sort of cover. Apart from the obvious peril of not being at all dressed for this weather, and trying to scramble across open fields, a further hazard announces itself as the snow starts turning to hail. You hear cries of pain among the fleeing crowd as people start getting pelted with small chunks of ice, and the peril is only increasing as the hail is obviously increasing in size. Off to one side, you see a water fountain, its waters already bearing a crust of snow and ice, topped by a cupid, which suddenly loses an outstretched hand as a piece of hail closer to the size of a baseball crashes into the concrete.
OOC wrote:For the next minute, there is a constant Damage 1 area effect. Probably nothing you'll have an issue weathering, but the civilians are considerably less tough...
Currently running The Freedom City Neophyte Experience IC OOC
Also The Freedom City Neophyte Experience Part Deux IC OOC
My Builds
UmbralDagger13
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:16 pm

Re: [IC] [3E] The Neophyte Freedom City Experience - A Cold Day in Midtown

Post by UmbralDagger13 »

Snowdrift/Alexander Olwenson
HP: 1
Status: Normal

Alex will pull out his mask putting it on and take off towards the woman and baby as well as the out of control bus. As he flies towards them he will attempt to see if he has time to get both of them out of the way or if he should try slowing the bus instead.
TheMadDadder
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun May 29, 2022 6:46 am

Re: [IC] [3E] The Neophyte Freedom City Experience - A Cold Day in Midtown

Post by TheMadDadder »

Mirror Maiden/Desirae Draper
HP: 1
Status: Normal


Desirae flinched as the howling wind blew away her umbrella post. She jumped to her feet witnessing the civilian's around her fleeing for their lives as the sky came falling down. She wasted no time changing into her hero-suit as she levitated into the air. A neon-green aura surrounded her as Mirror Maiden used her telekinetic powers to raise the concrete fountain into the air and hover it over her.

"Take cover beneath me!"

She yelled to the crowd.
I used Maiden's Telekinesis [Move Object 8, Accurate 4] to lift the fountain for temporary cover. Let me know on Discord if this isn't possible lol this is my very first M&M game after all so I'm sure I'll fudge some rules and mechanics :P
WeFallout
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:25 am

Re: [IC] [3E] The Neophyte Freedom City Experience - A Cold Day in Midtown

Post by WeFallout »

Avian / Silas Prince
HP: 1
Status: Normal

Silas covers his head with his wings as the hail begins to fall and notices the civilians running for cover. He removes his suit revealing his costume underneath, dons his mask and pulls up his hood. He flies down towards the park as he sees that the fountain is lifted. Avian flies around carrying civilians to cover under the fountain and other forms of cover.
I am using his flight 6 and strength 4
FuzzyBoots
Posts: 2137
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:20 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: [IC] [3E] The Neophyte Freedom City Experience - A Cold Day in Midtown

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Snowdrift

The woman utters a squawk of surprise as you scoop her up in one arm, and the stroller in the other. The baby's crying stops for a moment as it gasps, then it giggles as you move at high speed, setting the woman and stroller to one side where she should be safe from the bus. Behind you, the bus is still careening forward. At this speed, there's maybe a dozen seconds before it's going to impact, more time if you can find a way to slow it down.
OOC wrote:As per the Discord conversation, you have some time to handle the bus before impact, but good on you for getting the civilians first.
Currently running The Freedom City Neophyte Experience IC OOC
Also The Freedom City Neophyte Experience Part Deux IC OOC
My Builds
FuzzyBoots
Posts: 2137
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:20 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: [IC] [3E] The Neophyte Freedom City Experience - A Cold Day in Midtown

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Mirror Maiden / Avian

There's a loud crack as you pull the fountain up, and a length of pipe is revealed, which spurts water for a bit and then shuts off, possibly due to some overflow valve kicking in. The fountain is a bit over 10 feet in diameter, and as Avian starts moving civilians under it, and others begin rushing back, you see that only so many people will be able to be covered. Around the park, there are a number of trees that you could try pulling down to build a shelter. Alternately... at the end of one of the fields is a ground-cloth, probably meant to be deployed across the field after seeding to protect the soil during initial growth. As heavy canvas, it's not going to hold against heavy damage, but especially with the built in flexibility, it should be able to shield a fair number of people under it as a cover.
OOC wrote:Mirror Maiden's impervious is sufficient to soak the damage. Avian has a DC 11 Dodge save to lessen the effect of the hail on him. With a successful save, he only faces a DC 15 Toughness save. Failure means DC 16. :) Probably no problem for you.
Currently running The Freedom City Neophyte Experience IC OOC
Also The Freedom City Neophyte Experience Part Deux IC OOC
My Builds
TheMadDadder
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun May 29, 2022 6:46 am

Re: [IC] [3E] The Neophyte Freedom City Experience - A Cold Day in Midtown

Post by TheMadDadder »

Mirror Maiden/Desirae Draper
HP: 1
Status: Normal


Noticing quickly that the small fountain wasn't large enough to fit the ever-expanding refuges, Maiden needed to find something bigger and quick. She spotted the large ground tarp and found it a suitable replacement for the time being. She simultaneously lowered the fountain back in place and lifted the tarp, moving her hands in conjunction with the acts to help her stay focused. With her telekinesis, she levitated the tarp and with her telepathy, she signaled for the civilians to take refuge underneath.
Once again using Move Object 8 on the ground cloth. :P hopefully it works better! Also using [Telepathy: Mind Reading 5 Linked to Area Mental Communication 2] to broadcast my message.

Question, and you can answer this in discord, could I hold up the tarp while also making a shelter with the trees? Or do I have to 'focus' on one object alone?
Last edited by TheMadDadder on Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
jojomiller12
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:09 am

Re: [IC] [3E] The Neophyte Freedom City Experience - A Cold Day in Midtown

Post by jojomiller12 »

Overdrive/Tanner Wayne Olson
HP: 1
Status: Normal

Hoping to slow down the oncoming bus, Overdrive will begin to sing sky piercer (perception modifier for attacks), increasing his aim with a light pistol he pulls out of the compartment on the back of his costume, and firing upon the front wheels of the bus.
WeFallout
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:25 am

Re: [IC] [3E] The Neophyte Freedom City Experience - A Cold Day in Midtown

Post by WeFallout »

Avian
HP: 1
Status Normal

Avian carries civilians under the tarp, giving cover to each civilian with his wings until safer. He gives Desirae Draper a kurt nod as he flies by dropping off the first civilian.

"Keep this tarp up and I'll bring back as many people as I can!"

He wastes no time in taking off again to rescue more people.

Toughness 4 and protection 4: 1D20+8 = [14]+8 = 22
UmbralDagger13
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:16 pm

Re: [IC] [3E] The Neophyte Freedom City Experience - A Cold Day in Midtown

Post by UmbralDagger13 »

Snowdrift
HP: 1
Status: Normal

Snowdrift noticing that someone else is working to slow down the bus, will fly over and gather the two fallen civilians and take them out of the way of the sliding bus. As soon as they are safely out of the way he will move towards the bus and using a combination of his strength and flight, work to slow the bus down in the hopes of stopping it completely.
Post Reply