[IC] [3E] The Neophyte Freedom City Experience - A Cold Day in Midtown

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
WeFallout

Re: [IC] [3E] The Neophyte Freedom City Experience - A Cold Day in Midtown

Post by WeFallout »

Avian
HP: 1

Avian leads Mirror Maiden and the crowd to the auditorium, all the while keeping an eye out for anyone who goes astray. Once the crowd is inside Avian approaches Mirror Maiden.

"These people should be safe at least for now, good job on getting them all here. When I found this place I also found some people stuck inside buses, could you try and help them? I'm going to fly above the storm, something has to be causing this. Good luck!"

Avian takes flight pushing himself to fly higher and faster than usual. The snow and hail bombarding him ah he propells himself upwards. The cold feeling bitter and sharp but bearable, he dreads to thing of how others are coping below.

As he breaks through the storm, rising above it he notes the drastic change in temperature and the shape of the storm. He reports what he can see to Mirror Maiden telepathicaly, whilst looking for anything man made that could be causing the storm. He then flies back to Mirror Maiden.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

GM - Avian and Mirror Maiden

After leading Mirror Maiden and the people to the auditorium, where the Scouts enthusiastically start quizzing people on what they have with them, and reapportioning supplies, Avian rockets up into the air, enduring the battering rain of hail, which ceases when he's about a mile up. After a solid four minutes of attempting to push on the speed but constantly getting pushed back by the cold winds, about fourteen miles or so up, Avian breaches the cold, only to find himself suddenly at the other end of temperature extremes. Amidst what feels like suddenly blistering heat, he sees that Freedom City seems roughly contained in a hemisphere of bad weather. It's not a perfect sphere, with snow and ice pulsing off of the surface, melting slightly in the hot air outside, and then plummeting back in. There's nothing outside of the sphere of bad weather noticeably causing it, leaving his only recourse to re-enter the storm.

Meanwhile, Mirror Maiden attempts to reach out to the minds out in the storm, and finds the storm impenetrable. Curious, she reaches out and skims the thoughts of a Boy Scout beside her, who apparently has an internal monologue that bounces between making plans for their supplies, and telling himself to not stare at Mirror Maiden. In retrospect, she'd never tried reading a mind of someone she couldn't see, or hadn't already communicated with...

After landing, and relaying his report, such as it is, to Mirror Maiden, and aiding in making people comfortable, a hand-cranked survival radio held by one of the Scouts rattles off a staticky report of a fire at a tenement building in the Fens, one of the more rundown neighborhoods by the riverside.
OOC wrote:As I said before, you can describe things narratively for anything additional you'd like to do in the area. Both of you get a Hero Point for aiding people, which should bring you up to two.
GM - Snowdrift

"Still got room for some more," Lou says, "So long as they behave themselves and don't make a mess of the showroom," as he locates winter gear for Snowdrift. "And as long as the power holds out... that glass isn't double-insulated or anything fancy." He chuckles as if he made a joke. "Could you imagine the expense for that?"

When you attempt to reach out to the minds of those in the other stores, you start to realize that, unless you're looking right at a person, you can't seem to figure out their mental "frequency", not to mention that some of the visible people you speak to aren't answering, although the way they twitch and look around suggests they might have "heard" you.

After a bit, a radio nearby you relays the breathless story of a building on fire in The Fens. One of the nearby people scoffs and comments in a voice they might have thought was low enough that no one could hear it, "Might make things better off if a few more buildings burned down around there..."
OOC wrote:The fellow playing Overdrive had to drop out, so it's just you on scene now. You also get a Hero Point for your efforts thus far.
TheMadDadder

Post by TheMadDadder »

Mirror Maiden
HP: 2

Maiden tuned out of the boy scout's thoughts to not intrude any further. She couldn't tell if he was flustered or turning away out of fear. Her costume may have been different but her features and abilities still resembled the much more infamous villainess, Psykosa. These were Maiden's insecurities showing their ugly heads. The boy could have found her attractive for all she knew.

While walking through the makeshift camp within the auditorium, Desirae heard the muffled cries of a child with their face buried in her knees. Surrounding her were other children sitting about, depressed and distressed. They were on a field trip when the storm began. Empathetically feeling the despair around her, Maiden approached the crying children and used her illusion abilities to create small, cute projections such as famous cartoon characters doing comedic acts. Hopefully, this would fix the mood and cheer the children, even if only temporarily.

Just adding some narrative for Maiden!

The crackling of the radio stole her attention. A fire at the Fens? That wasn't too far from their position. Beckoned by the call of chaos, Maiden left to inform Avian before exiting the auditorium.
WeFallout

Post by WeFallout »

Avian

Avian listens to Mirror Maiden and asks if he could pick them up to fly there faster (if they don't want to Avian will travel alongside them). Avian will keep an eye out for the fire, but he can already feel a cold sweat starting building. He will drop Mirror Maiden as close as he can, but the flames will dictate how close that is. He would much rather brave the cold than the flames.
UmbralDagger13

Post by UmbralDagger13 »

Snowdrift

Realizing that he needs to practice more with his telepathy, he stops his attempt and mentally thanks Lou. "Thank you for the clothes and taking the others in, I've got to be going to check on that fire. If you can check with your guests if any have engineering experience I'd suggest they start looking at your generators, because I believe they are working overtime right now and it'd be good to catch any issues early." He then heads out to where he was when it all started and grabs his bag, he then flies as fast as he can to The Fens hoping he gets there in time to help.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

GM

As the heroes near the Fens, despite the driving snow, one building fairly glows in the storm. The eight story Silver Arms apartment building is puffing out smoke from its middle floors, and small flames are licking at the windows. A harried-looking Asian lady in a mishmash of winter gear is attempting to organize people outside the apartment building, and direct them to other buildings, but it's like herding cats. As the heroes approach, and she spots them, she begins waving her arms and beckoning them closer.

As soon as the heroes alight, she introduces herself as Chaewon Gwan, and she explains that she thinks that the fire started around the fourth floor. She's uncertain how, but grumbles about space heaters and power strips before proceeding to explain that it spread faster than expected, more grumbling about a Harry Smilac and grandfathered wiring and insulation. She thinks she has the bottom two floors evacuated, but the smoke and heat drove her back when she attempted the stairwells, and she's already been told that the fire trucks are stuck in the snow. Underneath her anger, you can hear the fear and concern in her voice regarding those still trapped in the flames.
OOC wrote:I don't have a good excuse for my delay other than that things have been a bit hectic at home.

You can all assume you arrive together for the sake of convenience and with the sliding time scale of things.

This is written as a skill challenge. You can choose whatever skill you think makes sense for evacuating tenants, or for trying to extinguish the fire, Each check represents five minutes of effort You have 25 minutes to achieve at least four degrees of success to evacuate the tenants, five to prevent the fire from spreading, and eight to completely extinguish it. Suggestions in the book include Athletics checks for hustling people around, Acrobatics checks for getting to the upper floors, power checks or Expertise checks to quench the blaze, etc. Checks to evacuate people are at DC 13. Checks to extinguish the flames are at DC 18. Those are separate success states. Failures will count against the total, and will incur a Damage 5 as you have flaming masonry hit you, water causing you freeze, panicked people firing off a pistol mistaking you for a looter, etc.

Time spent asking some quick questions of Mrs. Gwan won't count against your time, but otherwise, let me know what you plan on doing (possibly with a suggestion of the skill or power you plan on using). Skill checks are made with the skill bonus. Power checks are made with the power rank as the bonus.
Last edited by FuzzyBoots on Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UmbralDagger13

Post by UmbralDagger13 »

Snowdrift
HP:2

Snowdrift upon hearing that the fire started at the fourth floor will fly up and see if there's a spot he can enter safely and then enter the building ready to tackle the flames. Once inside he will pull out Frozen Hilt and start 'attacking' the flames at their source by rapidly layering ice around them and then snuffing them out.
Frozen Hilt aiming for DC 18 Fire Suppression: 1D20+10 = [9]+10 = 19
Barely but it seems I'm off to a decent start.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

GM

Snowdrift quickly finds that the saying of "Where there's smoke, there's fire" greatly understated just how much smoke was involved. Finally, he finds a window that's a bit more clear. Inside, the view is hazy, and he can hear the yelling as people try to navigate through the smoke filled hallways. He initially sees no flames, but when he puts his hand on the wall to steady himself and get himself oriented, he finds it's extremely hot to the touch. He begins icing down the walls, and fingers himself pondering how well it will work. His ice compound had some odd thermal transfer properties, something he'd tweaked after the first time a criminal he brought in had to be treated for frostbite, but at the least, it should help contain the heat.
OOC wrote:That is indeed one success toward fire suppression.
TheMadDadder

Post by TheMadDadder »

Mirror Maiden

Wasting no time, Mirror Maiden moved towards the building, cautiously but with haste. Inside, she would search for trapped civilians and use her telekinesis to help free them from their burning prison.

Using telekinesis (+8) to help any trapped people. Got a 20 on my first roll, I prommy! :D

1D20+8 = [20]+8 = 28
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

GM

As Avian drops Mirror Maiden off, he can feel the sweat grow inside of his suit, and it wasn't from the heat of the fire. He began to call out that he'd fly up and retrieve some of the trapped people, but this voice caught in his throat as Mirror Maiden extended her telekinetic force and punched a hole in the side of the building, causing flames to lick out around the edges. As she began snatching people, one by one, from the opening, he steeled himself and took to the air. He didn't want to interrupt Mirror Maiden or Snowdrift's efforts, so he landed on a fire escape beside a broken window, and peered in. Within, the smoke was so thick that he could barely see. Holding tight to the fire escape railing, he began beating his wings to clear the smoke to aid in efforts. Bit by bit, his efforts paid off, with the smoke clearing and the air seeming cooler from the inrushing wintry breeze and he grinned widely, ceasing his efforts. He had a moment of self-congratulation before the hallway before him seemingly erupted in flame. In the back of his mind, he suddenly pictures a set of bellows, blowing new oxygen over the coals of a fire, extinguishing the flame, but not cooling the heat of the banked coals. Remove the bellows... and there's new oxygen.

"Shit shit shit shit..." he chanted as he desperately tried something different, alternately beating forward and backwards his wings, creating vortexes of air within the hallway. The flames flickered back and forth, and when he finished, there was no immediate smoke or fire, but he was certain that it was still there, just not entirely within view.

On the ground, as Mirror Maiden set down another rescued tenant, Mrs. Gwan runs up and states that she thinks that's all of the tenants who were in the building... but that the flames are still at risk of spreading.
OOC wrote:That hits the 4 successes needed for safe evacuation, and one for extinguishing the fire (I consulted the module creator and apparently they are supposed to be separate tracks).

I was originally going to have Avian rescue people, but that looks to be done. :-P So, attempting to fight the fire (he's currently Impaired due to his Phobia): Fire suppression attempt (Wing buffet, Impaired): 1D20+2 = [6]+2 = 8... Oof. Two degrees of failure. And since the Impaired didn't tip him into a worse result, no Hero Point for it, but he'll use one of this banked points.Fire suppression attempt (Wing buffet, Impaired) HP Reroll: 1D10+12 = [10]+12 = 22 is one degree of success, and would have been two without the Impaired, so he does get the Hero Point there, bringing him up to 2 again.

Evacuation successes: 4
Fire Suppression successes: 2
UmbralDagger13

Post by UmbralDagger13 »

Snowdrift

Snowdrift continues his efforts to suppress the flames and focuses his attention to spreading the ice in thick enough layers that they aren't melted by the heat.
TheMadDadder

Post by TheMadDadder »

Mirror Maiden

After rescuing those trapped in the building, Maiden levitated to each floor and used her telekinesis in an attempt to rupture water pipes and break open sprinklers. Anything she could do to get some water flow in the area.

FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

GM

As the flames billow and Avian struggles to keep his fear submerged, he reflects on how ill-prepared he feels.
Taking down muggers and catching jumpers on the bridge is one thing... this is something else entirely.

He takes to the air, and circles he building, trying to decide on a good course of actions. As his eyes automatically cycled through the distances, he realized a way he can help.
"Over here!" he called to Snowdrift and Mirror Maiden, pointing out places where the fire was blooming again, helping to direct their efforts.
OOC wrote: You guys are at six successes, enough to keep the fire from spreading and two short of saving the building.

Playing it safe, he'll Aid the next power check, which is a roll against DC 10. One success will give a +2 Circumstance bonus. Three or more will give a +5. Perception (Impaired) as Aid Action: 1D20+6 = [19]+6 = 25 is four successes!
TheMadDadder

Post by TheMadDadder »

Mirror Maiden

With the pipes broken and the water flowing, the flames were almost quenched. Now, all Maiden needed to do was direct the flow of water to the areas of fire still breathing. She hovered outside of the building and focused her mind on the cold liquid, using all of her concentration to move it in wisps to the dying flames.

Dadder (Mirror Maiden) Roll: [12] Result: 27
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

GM

As Avian pointed out locations, Mirror Maiden directed the flow, and soon, the fire is completely out. As Snowdrift and Mirror Maiden return to the ground, Mrs. Gwan expresses sincere gratitude for saving the building, all while she gripes about how the building is likely to remain uninhabitable until the weather improves and they can do renovation on the building, the tenants are going to have to find other lodging. Fortunately, from your efforts in the park, you're able to find enough places for them to go.

Over the next hour, you resolve various emergencies, including an iceberg threatening a ferry, the Artemis, a construction crane overburdened with ice, and miscellaneous difficulties of getting the citizenry into shelter. As you're finishing homing one group in a Rand Corporation building's lobby, the lobby's display suddenly flickers on with a pirate broadcast.

Static and distortion resolve into the face of a blue-skinned woman in a protective-looking white suit. She sneers through a transparent face shield. “Hello, Freedom City,” she begins. “For fifty years now, I have been trapped in this abominable containment suit. Thanks to human cruelty and the whims of chance, the air itself is deadly to me.” She dramatically removes the helmet, exposing her sharp features. “Now, you all know how that feels.”

“I am Madame Zero, this city’s greatest scientific mind, and my Gelid Engine has transformed Freedom City into a world where I can finally thrive at your expense, rather than the other way around. But I’m not so... cold-hearted as you. This blizzard is the barest taste of my Engine’s power, a warning allowing you all time to flee to safety. Were I a crueler woman, I would have simply frozen you all forever. But don’t impose on my generosity. The temperature will continue to drop until no man, woman, or other can survive except me. Then Freedom City will finally live up to its name.” The screen fades to black, replaced with a temperature gauge slowly ticking downward.

OOC wrote:Thanks to Avian's direction, that's two more successes, which brings you to success. Success here grants you one free re-roll on an Investigation or interaction skill check due to Mrs. Gwan calling in some favors to get you the information you need. This is on top of securing winter clothing via the sports shop as needed.
Everyone gets two Hero Points for their efforts thus far.

And this is where you may want to make use of Investigation, Persuasion, Expertise, or whatever skill you feel is appropriate to figure out more of what's going on. I don't think 3e has a specific rule for discreet inquiries, but I'll say that, if you take a -5 penalty, you can try to do them subtly, assuming you're worried about anyone noticing. You can also make untrained attempts at things like Expertise, just using your Intellect, but they will generally only achieve common knowledge.

I am going to drop Avian out unless the player returns, and put a new posting up for additional players.