The Merge Universe

Have a setting you like or a home brew you want to share? Do it here.
Doctor Malsyn

Re: The Merge Universe

Post by Doctor Malsyn » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:14 pm

Those talks have made me recall somethibg I had wondered about. I never saw mention of it in thr PDF, but what happened to all the people who owned merged material's intellectual property?
Last edited by Doctor Malsyn on Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!

------------
Who do I play?

Bladewind

Post by Bladewind » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:52 pm

I know it's not something I considered, care to tell us your thoughts on the subject?
Thorpocalypse wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm
Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Bladewind's 3ed M&M Builds
The Merge Setting document

Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:01 am

I'm nowhere near adept enough in my nonexistant kbowledge of copyright law to even start. :lol:

I imagine it's a pretty messy situation especially in regards to a few key points. Is it only ever old material that had merged, or had newly written material merged as well? Depending on the answer on that front, it very well could have led to some very strict laws or even social stigmas regarding creators.

Personally, I think things would be a lot less messy if the only material applicable to the merge was already pre-existent. Then again, that could result in some interesting stories and characters too...
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!

------------
Who do I play?

Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:38 pm

Copyright law is a minefield these days. Since the widely-accepted opinion is that " creators" created works based on " bleed-over" from other universes and " merely" fashioned their visions into coherent storylines, it's hard to pin down who owns what. Many X-Dees refuse to see themselves and their life stories as being 'owned' by anyone.

Now, if this theory is correct or if the prevalence of certain ideas merely drew other, fitting, universes to ours...that's something not even the gods could answer.

In some cases, there has been backlash against authors, especially in the horror, post-apocalyptic and dark fantasy genres, as people accuse them of making money out of real peoples' misery ( G.R.R. Martin, for example, has now oficially scrapped the Game of Thrones books since he's fed up with it all)....

Bladewind

Post by Bladewind » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:30 am

Made some tweaks to the setting document.

Added "goblinised" to the lexicon, adjusted some formatting and added Neo's fanfic to the end...likely my last addition until next year... :lol:
Thorpocalypse wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm
Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Bladewind's 3ed M&M Builds
The Merge Setting document