Gaming Conventions - 2020

General discussions about role-playing games. Share stories, ask for advice, talk about the industry, etc.
Post Reply
User avatar
Ares
Site Admin
Posts: 3771
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:40 am

Gaming Conventions - 2020

Post by Ares »

Hey guys. I figure some of us might be hitting some gaming conventions this year, and thought it might be fun to have a topic where anyone that wants to can coordinate about where they might be going and if anyone wants to meet up. I'm going to try and attend several conventions this year to playtest my own RPG system, so I'll post the ones I plan to make here. Feel free to do likewise.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donated.
RUSCHE
Posts: 363
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:50 pm

Re: Gaming Conventions - 2020

Post by RUSCHE »

I am attending the Comic Con in Novi Mi this May, i have been to a strictly RPG con, what type of setup are you using on Your RPG?
User avatar
Ares
Site Admin
Posts: 3771
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:40 am

Re: Gaming Conventions - 2020

Post by Ares »

RUSCHE wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:06 am I am attending the Comic Con in Novi Mi this May, i have been to a strictly RPG con, what type of setup are you using on Your RPG?
If you mean how it works, the first convention I'm heading to is Owlcon, being held at Rice University in Houston Texas from February 28 to March 1st. The way it works is that there's a dealers room, but then other rooms on campus are rented out so that folks can run games there in 4 or 8 hour blocks, maybe even 12. If you run at least 8 hours worth of games you get free admittance.

I'm running six 4 hour games across multiple genres. The system is a homebrew I'm looking to self-publish later this year or early next year. I want to keep a bit of a lid on it until all the legal corners are covered, but I can say that it uses a deck of cards instead of dice to give the players more control over their actions. So far it's proven very popular with the groups I've run them with.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donated.
RUSCHE
Posts: 363
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:50 pm

Re: Gaming Conventions - 2020

Post by RUSCHE »

Ares wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:47 am
RUSCHE wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:06 am I am attending the Comic Con in Novi Mi this May, i have been to a strictly RPG con, what type of setup are you using on Your RPG?
If you mean how it works, the first convention I'm heading to is Owlcon, being held at Rice University in Houston Texas from February 28 to March 1st. The way it works is that there's a dealers room, but then other rooms on campus are rented out so that folks can run games there in 4 or 8 hour blocks, maybe even 12. If you run at least 8 hours worth of games you get free admittance.

I'm running six 4 hour games across multiple genres. The system is a homebrew I'm looking to self-publish later this year or early next year. I want to keep a bit of a lid on it until all the legal corners are covered, but I can say that it uses a deck of cards instead of dice to give the players more control over their actions. So far it's proven very popular with the groups I've run them with.
I can't wait to hear more about this, good luck and it be a amazing success
User avatar
Woodclaw
Posts: 1256
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:05 pm
Location: Como, Italy

Re: Gaming Conventions - 2020

Post by Woodclaw »

Ares wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:13 pm Hey guys. I figure some of us might be hitting some gaming conventions this year, and thought it might be fun to have a topic where anyone that wants to can coordinate about where they might be going and if anyone wants to meet up. I'm going to try and attend several conventions this year to playtest my own RPG system, so I'll post the ones I plan to make here. Feel free to do likewise.
I doubt I can interest you in coming to some gaming convention in Italy ;)
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Shock
Posts: 2105
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:27 pm
Location: Connecticut USA

Re: Gaming Conventions - 2020

Post by Shock »

Woodclaw wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:00 pm
Ares wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:13 pm Hey guys. I figure some of us might be hitting some gaming conventions this year, and thought it might be fun to have a topic where anyone that wants to can coordinate about where they might be going and if anyone wants to meet up. I'm going to try and attend several conventions this year to playtest my own RPG system, so I'll post the ones I plan to make here. Feel free to do likewise.
I doubt I can interest you in coming to some gaming convention in Italy ;)
Interest? Yes. Ability to attend? Not so much
User avatar
Ares
Site Admin
Posts: 3771
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:40 am

Re: Gaming Conventions - 2020

Post by Ares »

Woodclaw wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:00 pm
Ares wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:13 pm Hey guys. I figure some of us might be hitting some gaming conventions this year, and thought it might be fun to have a topic where anyone that wants to can coordinate about where they might be going and if anyone wants to meet up. I'm going to try and attend several conventions this year to playtest my own RPG system, so I'll post the ones I plan to make here. Feel free to do likewise.
I doubt I can interest you in coming to some gaming convention in Italy ;)
Yeah, what Shock said. Would love to go if not for the cost and the language barrier. Trying and failing to get through first semester Spanish three times told me that I might suck at foreign languages.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donated.
User avatar
Doctor Malsyn
Posts: 4317
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:42 pm
Location: Thunderdome, Texas

Re: Gaming Conventions - 2020

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

I live in Central Texas myself, and I've always wanted to try my hand at con-going. Maybe I'll keep Owl-con in mind, that'd be interesting if it involved meeting our very own admin.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
I'm the GM of The New Mythos, and play more characters then I probably should.
Spectrum
Posts: 2560
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:08 pm

Re: Gaming Conventions - 2020

Post by Spectrum »

So about those gaming conventions...
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
User avatar
Ares
Site Admin
Posts: 3771
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:40 am

Re: Gaming Conventions - 2020

Post by Ares »

Gaming conventions in general may or may not get put on hold with the C-Virus going around. I'm hoping to attend Origins in June, but we'll have to wait and see.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donated.
User avatar
Doctor Malsyn
Posts: 4317
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:42 pm
Location: Thunderdome, Texas

Re: Gaming Conventions - 2020

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Perhaps it's a good thing I missed that one in Houston after all.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
I'm the GM of The New Mythos, and play more characters then I probably should.
User avatar
Davies
Posts: 2224
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:37 pm
Location: Edmonton, AB

Re: Gaming Conventions - 2020

Post by Davies »

Add PaizoCon 2020 to the list of the canceled. Since that's in May ... I am not hopeful for Origins or even GenCon.

Of course, I'm not hopeful in general.
Post Reply