Hope for Roninarmy or least archive of good stuff from it

General discussions about role-playing games. Share stories, ask for advice, talk about the industry, etc.
Psistrike

Hope for Roninarmy or least archive of good stuff from it

Post by Psistrike »

Recent post by Nikchick here: http://roninarmy.com/threads/5772-The-P ... post224014 So 15th or later will be soonest for decision on what will happen to the forums. The last paragraph of that post is the most important so far since this mess started. Also just two post down from that Fildrigar states that if the forums are going to be taken down, it won't happen for a month or two. So time to save what you like if they say no archive after their meeting tonight.
Ken

Re: Hope for Roninarmy or least archive of good stuff from it

Post by Ken »

I my hopes for RoninArmy vanished Halloween night.

Here's one observer's description of events: The Week the Atomic Think Went Nuclear

That said. Ares has set us up with the nice new forum, and well, it's been a long week. Let's focus on the new and the good.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Thank you for providing that, it might help to clear up the massive amounts of confusion some of us may've had regarding this whole... whatever it may be called.

But yes! As the great Edna has said, "I never look back darling, it distracts from the now."
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Nice... but I strongly recommend removing F's name from your post. I can't see anything but more grief coming from it.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Psistrike

Post by Psistrike »

Spectrum wrote:Nice... but I strongly recommend removing F's name from your post. I can't see anything but more grief coming from it.
Yeah, edited my post to state "the spouse of a moderator and harassed them" instead just now.
Horsenhero

Post by Horsenhero »

Spectrum wrote:Nice... but I strongly recommend removing F's name from your post. I can't see anything but more grief coming from it.
I would disagree. Knowing who an offender is can help gatekeep against intrusions from said person. Just a random "somebody did something" is little help at all. Someone who commits such an egregious offense can either own it or apologize for it, but hiding them under the cloak of anonymity just allows the continuation of the behavior with little or no repercussions.

There needs to be repercussions or nothing is learned.
Shock

Post by Shock »

I gotta disagree, at least with respect to posting real names. Especially in light of someone having received real life abuse and threats for what amounts to posting on the internet.

I could have a lot more to say on the issue but I like you guys and would rather not get into a big argument over it.
Horsenhero

Post by Horsenhero »

Shock wrote:I gotta disagree, at least with respect to posting real names. Especially in light of someone having received real life abuse and threats for what amounts to posting on the internet.

I could have a lot more to say on the issue but I like you guys and would rather not get into a big argument over it.
We can agree to disagree for sure. Shaking hands (figuratively speaking) and just gettin' on gettin' on is one of those signs of adulthood. I'm occasionally adult-ish. ;)
Ken

Post by Ken »

I one types "Fildrigar" into Google, the very first thing that pops up is his Twitter feed, with both his real name and "Fildrigar" plainly visible. He isn't using "Fildrigar" as a way to maintain Internet anonimity. I'm sure more people will see Twitter than one page buried on an obscure website about one group's homebrew superhero RPG universe.

And ultimately, I agree with Horsenhero's reasoning.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

While it sounds like his personal information is easy enough to locate, in the future lets refrain from releasing anyone's personal information online. It's just not something I want folks here associated with, and it can easily lead to the kind of harassment that they were accusing posters of. However badly the bridge might have been burned over at Ronin Army, all of us had a lot more good times than bad there, and I'd prefer that all of the antagonism stays on their side.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

I have to say, given what I've heard for how innocuous the trigger was in this case, I kind of wonder if the "harassment" amounted to a "Hey, I got banned from the site, but using Google, I see that this is someone related to you, and you've literally cut down every other way to reach you. Can we talk about this?" message. I'm not saying that it is that, but it makes a fellow wonder.
Psistrike

Post by Psistrike »

FuzzyBoots wrote:I have to say, given what I've heard for how innocuous the trigger was in this case, I kind of wonder if the "harassment" amounted to a "Hey, I got banned from the site, but using Google, I see that this is someone related to you, and you've literally cut down every other way to reach you. Can we talk about this?" message. I'm not saying that it is that, but it makes a fellow wonder.
From what has been said, that isn't the case, plus the relative mentioned was already the victim of rape threats, death threats, and even doxxed in the past. So tracking them down on social media like that could be a stress trigger after all that, even to the point of PTSD if the threats and doxxing were severe enough. Just trying to see it from their side as well. I wouldn't want someone from a forum my spouse works on tracking me down like that after experiencing such things. If I had a spouse.
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

I must agree with Ares and PsiStrike on this topic (sorry, Horsehero); I think publicizing someone's real name and contact info is over the line, even if said individual doesn't take great care to conceal said knowledge on the web. Simple politeness also comes into play her. As well, if the person's partner/spouse was formerly subject to doxing and anonymous threats, simple decency suggests avoiding even the appearance of enabling such harassment again in the future.

All my best.
Jack of Spades

Post by Jack of Spades »

Actually, I'd like to see a "no doxing" rule formally part of the board's rules. I go t some lengths to keep my online and offline identities separate, and seeing that a place respects that enough to put it formally off limits makes me feel better about that place.
Jack's Deck build threadFantasy Geographic Society campaign web site
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

I had included that as one line in the initial rules, but I've edited to make things a bit more transparent. I'm going to strive for transparency here in all things, but my big hope is that most people here will police themselves.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.