Potential Sympathetic Villains from Providence Asylum

General discussions about role-playing games. Share stories, ask for advice, talk about the industry, etc.
Scrollreader

Potential Sympathetic Villains from Providence Asylum

Post by Scrollreader »

As part of the backstory for a character I'm going to get to play soon, she'll have spent some time in Providence Asylum. (She wasn't a super criminal, just thought to be crazy while her powers of Precognition went haywire when she first manifested them). Inspired by Girl, Interrupted and the B:TAS depictions of Harley and Ivy in Arkham, I'm looking for suggestions for Freedom Villains she might have positive relationships with. She's a teen hero, but it would be nice to add some villains she might like as people, even though she tries to stop them. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Psion

Re: Potential Sympathetic Villains from Providence Asylum

Post by Psion »

Hmmm... though she's sort of a Emerald City rogue, Death Magnetic (from Threat Report) has a backstory about how her powers cause her psychological problems, but she doesn't see it as a problem while she's in her villain persona. When her powers are working, Death Magnetic is not a nice person at all while her powers are working, but if they had met while in a psychiatric care facility, she might have sympathies with her more mild mannered alter ego while her powers were suppressed.
Scrollreader

Post by Scrollreader »

That's a good one. I guess there's just not quite as many 'crazy' villains in the the Freedom-verse (and a lot more possessed).
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

Queen of Hearts, from the Super-Team Handbook is specifically stated to have been hospitalized at Providence Sanitarium prior to supervised release with the Freedom Project. She experiences delusions and manic behavior, stemming from an encounter with the Looking-Glass Gang (whose members would nearly all qualify for Providence, or its counterpart in Emerald City).

Other Freedom City villains who might qualify include Gamma the Atom Smasher, Firebug (of the Thieves' Guild),and Lady Lightning (from Rogues' Gallery).

All my best.
Scrollreader

Post by Scrollreader »

The Thieves Guild is a good source for sympathetic (sort of) villains. Most of them are more punchclock villains than crazies, but the suggestions you made are helpful. Maybe I'll make up a nemesis for her who is built around being unpredictable (and hence immune to her Precognition) sort of like how Deadpool can get past taskmaster, or how the Joker is sometimes written as being problematic for Cassandra Caine's powers.