Emerald City and other randomness

General discussions about role-playing games. Share stories, ask for advice, talk about the industry, etc.
MayorOmega

Emerald City and other randomness

Post by MayorOmega »

Hello all, I've got a couple of questions that I honestly didn't know where to put this time that might be a might on the silly side.

My first question is do we have any actual state that Emerald City is in-I know that the player's guide says that it's in the northwest but I thought I read somewhere that said it's in Washington state but I keep thinking that it's more in line with taking over where Bellingham or Ferndale is in real life due to how the city is described.

Also did anyone save a copy of Crinos' work from the old Think Tank forums?
FuzzyBoots

Re: Emerald City and other randomness

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Green Ronin generally avoids putting their cities in a specific real-life place, but it maps out really well to the border of Washington and Oregon along the Columbia River. I always saw it as a Seattle replacement, personally.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Given that our own world's Seattle is known as 'The Emerald City' due to its year-round greenery ...
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

The designers have outright stated EC draws upon Portland (Oregon) and Seattle as real-world inspiration, just as Freedom City has elements of both Boston and Philadelphia, and perhaps even a bit of Jersey City.

The upcoming Ferroburg is apparently meant as a take on Detroit and Pittsburgh (note to the authors: the former Iron City has its problems, but it doesn't fit the template at all in the modern day; Gary, Indiana would be a better match).

Oddly, NYC has seen some in-universe detail, instead of a fictional equivalent.

All my best.
Voltron64

Post by Voltron64 »

greycrusader wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:04 am The upcoming Ferroburg is apparently meant as a take on Detroit and Pittsburgh (note to the authors: the former Iron City has its problems, but it doesn't fit the template at all in the modern day; Gary, Indiana would be a better match).
Wait, they're making expanding Ferroburg into a full-on campaign setting?
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

Yeah, its going to be expanded in the Vigilante's Handbook.
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

Though maybe it should be Chicago/Detroit/Gary, as the "Second City" has both the upscale and crime-ridden environs, with the other two representing the grimier, post-industrial urban landscape; Gary is the saddest big city I ever drove through.
Voltron64

Post by Voltron64 »

greycrusader wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:26 pm Though maybe it should be Chicago/Detroit/Gary, as the "Second City" has both the upscale and crime-ridden environs, with the other two representing the grimier, post-industrial urban landscape; Gary is the saddest big city I ever drove through.
That's why it's the introductory city in VTM 1e.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

MayorOmega wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:52 pm Hello all, I've got a couple of questions that I honestly didn't know where to put this time that might be a might on the silly side.

My first question is do we have any actual state that Emerald City is in-I know that the player's guide says that it's in the northwest but I thought I read somewhere that said it's in Washington state but I keep thinking that it's more in line with taking over where Bellingham or Ferndale is in real life due to how the city is described.

Reply from Crinos:
You might wanna ask Kreuzritter or Yeoman. I never saved anything I wrote on the forums.
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

FuzzyBoots wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:41 pm
MayorOmega wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:52 pm Hello all, I've got a couple of questions that I honestly didn't know where to put this time that might be a might on the silly side.

Reply from Crinos:
You might wanna ask Kreuzritter or Yeoman. I never saved anything I wrote on the forums.
I think anywhere in the Pacific Northwest of the U.S.A. works for Emerald City. Technically speaking, its based on Seattle and Portland, Oregon.

A lot of the old threads can be found on the Wayback Machine.

https://web.archive.org/web/20180424143 ... ktank.com/