Savage Rifts

General discussions about role-playing games. Share stories, ask for advice, talk about the industry, etc.
Corrigon

Savage Rifts

Post by Corrigon »

If anybody is interested in the new version of Rifts, there is a game forum at www.Savagerifts.com.

I hope I am okay posting this. If not, I will take it down
Unbeliever

Re: Savage Rifts

Post by Unbeliever »

I can't imagine anyone would mind.

I personally have mixed feelings about the rules they built for Savage Rifts. The short version is that overall they're fine, but a bunch of the numbers end up ... problematic. And, that's a bummer for me since of all the things I want to fix/hack in a game, balancing the weapon stats aren't one of them.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Absolutely no problem with this. While M&M is the primary system used by a lot of folks here, its more a result of where a lot of folks here came from. This place is open to all systems.

And I'm curious about this. I like Savage Worlds is a decent system and I own a ton of Rifts books for the setting material, but I've yet to get any of the books.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Corrigon

Post by Corrigon »

I find it works fine so far. A few things handle different than you remember but it does balance characters a lot better than Palladium. Turns are certainly a lot quicker with less moving parts

If anyone does fancy coming over, I'm playing in the 32nd Set game and we have a few spaces left as do all the games
Unbeliever

Post by Unbeliever »

Corrigon wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:27 am I find it works fine so far. A few things handle different than you remember but it does balance characters a lot better than Palladium. Turns are certainly a lot quicker with less moving parts

If anyone does fancy coming over, I'm playing in the 32nd Set game and we have a few spaces left as do all the games
Well, *anything* would have more balance for characters than Palladium. Is this play by post?
Ares wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:03 am And I'm curious about this. I like Savage Worlds is a decent system and I own a ton of Rifts books for the setting material, but I've yet to get any of the books.
In a lot of ways it's good. And, they took the right approach, which is to nail the feel of the characters rather than to faithfully recreate them.

Where I think they got themselves mired was, as I mentioned before, stuff like weapon stats. SW's autofire rules can be problematic at best, and they don't have a nice way of managing that. And, on top of that they made the damage for some weapons extremely high compared to armor values.

Just to pick on a notorious example: in Savage Rifts a UAR-1 will wipe the floor with a Glitter Boy. The UAR-1's heavy rail gun is just an order of magnitude better (b/c autofire) and does enough damage to blow through the GB's armor. This runs very counter to the Rifts canon and just the feel of the game setting: not only are GBs supposed to be tough and hardy, but you never got the sense that UAR-1 were walking death machines that could destroy an entire squad of juicers, etc. on their own. I mean, they're supposed to be tough, but it's not the case that the bog standard CS bot is supposed to be a kind of the battlefield.

EDIT: before Savage Rifts came out, I did sort of hack M&M to do Rifts. There are some reasons I still kind of prefer that, but M&M's lack of a convenient monster manual type resource for this can make running it burdensome. Although we did make like a good dozen benchmark builds.
Corrigon

Post by Corrigon »

it is play by post.