Character Creation Help

General discussions about role-playing games. Share stories, ask for advice, talk about the industry, etc.
Cu Roi

Character Creation Help

Post by Cu Roi »

Sorry if I put this in the wrong board, but I recently got my hands on M&M 3e and have been wanting to stat up a character or two for whenever I get the chance to play it. That being said, I find chargen a little daunting and am not entirely sure how to stat up an effective character for the concept that I want. Would it be possible to ask for clarification or a link to a good guide on how to do so?
Ken

Re: Character Creation Help

Post by Ken »

Seems like a good place for such a question. Mutants and Masterminds is an effects based game. Basically, if you know what you want your character to do, it should be possible to build.

First, which books are you looking at? If that's known, it might help steer you.

Secondly, what is your concept, and is it comparable at all to other characters?

While jumping around Hell's Kitchen, beating up hoodlums, Daredevil is very effective. However, put him up against an armada of extra-terrrestrial ships, he's not so effective. At the same time, someone who would do well against the alien armada, say, a Superman, could be so powerful that in a Hell's Kitchen campaign he'd be so powerful that he'd be ineffective, or at least unable to get actual good stories. As such, do you know what kind of stories, and, by extention what kind of power level, you want your character to have?
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Cu Roi

Post by Cu Roi »

Ken wrote:Seems like a good place for such a question. Mutants and Masterminds is an effects based game. Basically, if you know what you want your character to do, it should be possible to build.

First, which books are you looking at? If that's known, it might help steer you.

Secondly, what is your concept, and is it comparable at all to other characters?

While jumping around Hell's Kitchen, beating up hoodlums, Daredevil is very effective. However, put him up against an armada of extra-terrrestrial ships, he's not so effective. At the same time, someone who would do well against the alien armada, say, a Superman, could be so powerful that in a Hell's Kitchen campaign he'd be so powerful that he'd be ineffective, or at least unable to get actual good stories. As such, do you know what kind of stories, and, by extention what kind of power level, you want your character to have?
I was looking at a former criminal martial artist with magical tattoo's that give him a variety of powers; as you can probably tell, the character was partially inspired by Iron Fist.

Another character I was thinking of is basically an undead skeletal knight who swore himself to his lord centuries ago, and in the modern day serves as the (seemingly human) butler for the family.

As for PL, I was aiming frr PL 10 since that seems to be the standard.
Cu Roi

Post by Cu Roi »

As for books, I'm mainly just looking at 3e core.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Cu Roi wrote: I was looking at a former criminal martial artist with magical tattoo's that give him a variety of powers; as you can probably tell, the character was partially inspired by Iron Fist.
This is a pretty straight-forward concept, I'd put the emphasis on the martial artist side of the character and add a small "dash" of themed superpowers as part of an Alternate Effect array. My Ready to Play Black Canary is a PL10 martial artist who is rather nasty in a fight. I've put 10 PP into giving her her trademark "Canary Cry," but you could easily swap that out for an array of low-cost but very useful utility powers in an Array. Falcon's Swiftness could be a rank or two of Speed, Mountain's Endurance could be a few pips of Invulnerable Toughness, Perfect Chrysanthemum could be a healing effect... And so on and so forth.
Cu Roi wrote:Another character I was thinking of is basically an undead skeletal knight who swore himself to his lord centuries ago, and in the modern day serves as the (seemingly human) butler for the family.
Again, a fairly straightforward concept, you're going to want to build a knightly weapon using Weapon Master archetype and add the Construct features to represent his undead nature: No Constitution score, Immunity to Fortitude Effects, and so forth.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Cu Roi

Post by Cu Roi »

Batgirl III wrote:
Cu Roi wrote: I was looking at a former criminal martial artist with magical tattoo's that give him a variety of powers; as you can probably tell, the character was partially inspired by Iron Fist.
This is a pretty straight-forward concept, I'd put the emphasis on the martial artist side of the character and add a small "dash" of themed superpowers as part of an Alternate Effect array. My Ready to Play Black Canary is a PL10 martial artist who is rather nasty in a fight. I've put 10 PP into giving her her trademark "Canary Cry," but you could easily swap that out for an array of low-cost but very useful utility powers in an Array. Falcon's Swiftness could be a rank or two of Speed, Mountain's Endurance could be a few pips of Invulnerable Toughness, Perfect Chrysanthemum could be a healing effect... And so on and so forth.
Cu Roi wrote:Another character I was thinking of is basically an undead skeletal knight who swore himself to his lord centuries ago, and in the modern day serves as the (seemingly human) butler for the family.
Again, a fairly straightforward concept, you're going to want to build a knightly weapon using Weapon Master archetype and add the Construct features to represent his undead nature: No Constitution score, Immunity to Fortitude Effects, and so forth.
For the undead knight I was also looking at giving him a steed and some kind of elemental power, probably fire since I'm unoriginal like that. What's a good way to represent the horse? As a vehicle or a summoned minion? What are good advantages for both characters?

And thanks a lot for the advice.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Assuming the horse is just a conveyance it can be flavor on the Speed Power or Flight with Platform... You leap and a spectral horse manifests underneath you...

If the horse does other things for you you can buy those as well or make it a Summon.
"Something pithy this way comes."